[F01-PP] <<Earning a Living - Alchemist>>

Skeleton had eavesdropped about a quest which allows players to begin a store of their own, including a new profession. It was an accidental eavesdrop as he was sitting around resting from his recent rock breaking adventure, but it was welcome information regardless. He hadn't looked very hard to find the place he needed as it was a tent on the outskirts of town. He was looking for someone called Evangeline Calora.

"I think this is the place." Skeleton half mocked and half worriedly said as he approached the tent.

"Hello Dear, I see you are in need of a profession, may I interest you in Alchemy?"

She smiles sweetly and leaves here tent, a small vial of rainbow colored liquid pulsating in her hand.

"Now, I know it may seem very sciencey and scary, but I believe you can do it! And I hope you feel the same way."

"That is what I'm looking for, to be honest." Skeleton replied.

She beckons Skeleton into her tent to show them the way she crafts, her movements are very elegant and precise, her age shows that she is very wise in what she is doing.

"Now, I can teach you all about it sweety, but I seem to have ran out of some of my precious materials to give you a how-to on crafting, would you be a dear and run off to get me some? I think all I need is five, and I can help you on your way!"

She smiles a sweet smile, she seems to be happy someone wants to follow in on her noble profession.

Skeleton however felt a shiver down his spine.  5 Materials. He was about to go herb hunting again, wasn't he? he thought.

"I'll... get right on that then..."

Skeleton's shoulders dropped as he turned and made his way outside. He promptly opened up a menu to send a request to a new friend of his, Randal.

"Hey, I found a quest to allow me to take up Alchemy and start up a store. If you're willing to help me gather some materials in the nearby fields, I'd be more than happy to throw you a friendly discount if you ever need anything from my store." Skeleton attached his map position and hit send.

The message had been sent, and Skeleton sat waiting.

@Randal

Spoiler
Randal: SP 7/17 // HP 160/160 // Energy 16/16 // 1 DMG 

Items:
 3 DMG (T1E3 Perfect Hand Wraps) // 1 REGEN (T1 Uncommon Pants) // 3 EVA (T1E3 Perfect Light Armour)

Skills:
 1 LD (Searching Rank 1) // 1 Stealth Detection (Searching Rank 1) // 5 MIT (Light armour Mastery Rank 1)

Battle Items:
  1. - 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)
  2. - 1 T1 Immolation Potion (10DMG to successful non-Crit attacker)
  3. -1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP
  4. - 1 T1 Snack (+1 Eva)
  5. - 2 Tier One Snack (+3LD) 

Additional Buffs
  1. Aincrad Trading Post Guild - +2 Exp per craft made // +5 to salvage LD
  2. Aincrad Trading Post Guild - +5% Mob Kill Col // +10% Treasure Chest Col

It hadn’t been that Long since Randal had gotten his martial artist status and his whiskers removed from and by the stupid NPC at the top of a mountain at floor 2 when he heard an unfamiliar ding on his HUD. Randal being fairly decent at gaming and also having been in one for quite some time now knew what that symbolised, a notification.

When Randal opened up the notification he was happy to see that his new friend <<Skeleton>> had invited him all for his profession quest, ah Randal was well familiar with the task at hand having gone through it himself, putting down all his things that he was carrying, which was nothing actually considering it was a game, he made his way over to the career hub in the town of beginnings.

He spotted the young man sitting and waved happily, upon reaching, Randal spoke “So today you’re the party leader, as thanks for helping me out the last time and the promise of many discounts, where shall we head to first?”.

The sight of Randal gave Skeleton relief. It'd only been a short while and they were teaming up once again.

6 minutes ago, Randal said:

“So today you’re the party leader, as thanks for helping me out the last time and the promise of many discounts, where shall we head to first?”.

"A leader for once, eh? I don't think I'll get used to it. How about we head out to the local fields for materials, that tends to be where they be." Skeleton said as he motioned to the nearby town exit.

He began walking out of the town, with Randal in tow. He'd been dreading having to gather the materials but hopefully with Randal things won't drive him so near insanity as last time where  he had begun to think about the light spectrum to pass the time. At least this time he'll have conversation. The grassy fields didn't look to have changed much from the last time he was here. Which was literally 2 days ago. It was almost becoming home.

"So you get to try out the martial arts skill yet?" Skeleton asked Randal.

ID# 131118

LD: 1

Skeleton had approached the local grass to search for materials, pulling the grass apart to search.

12 minutes ago, Skeleton said:

So you get to try out the martial arts skill yet?

To which Randal could only rely as he walked out of the Town of Beginnings and into the nearby fields with a solid “No”, of course being the wonderful conversationalist he was, Randal did follow up with “I just got back to town not too Long ago when I heard you calling out for me, I then came over as soon as I could, besides, at my level, nothing I can find here would drop any loot for me.”.

Seeing Skeleton kneel down into the grass to look for some materials, Randal chuckled and asked “Is this what you were doing prior to the carnival? Smelling all grass like haha.”

Randal decided to offer some advice to Skeleton, sometimes you could try looking up and around for other kinds of ingredients that might help you in your crafting of alchemy. For example, have considered the potential alchemic functions of fruits or other items just lying around?”

As Randal said so, he reached out one hand to scrap of some sap from a tree into a clear glass bottle.

Spoiler

ID# 131119

LD 14+1 (success)

1 T1 Material found

He then reached out in his other hand and offered Skeleton some food with enhancements he managed to make. “Hopefully this will help...truth be told it’s not all that easy to gather things either.”

Spoiler

Name: Crispy Gold Soy Beans
Your Profession: Cook
Your Rank: 2
ID: 130585
Roll: CD 12 LD 17
Item Type: Snack
Tier: 1
Quality: [Perfect]
Enhancements: Loot Die x3
Description: These beans will either make your gas smell bad, or give you good luck, you feeling lucky punk?
Post Link: 

Spoiler
Randal: SP 7/17 // HP 160/160 // Energy 16/16 // 1 DMG 

Items:
 3 DMG (T1E3 Perfect Hand Wraps) // 1 REGEN (T1 Uncommon Pants) // 3 EVA (T1E3 Perfect Light Armour)

Skills:
 1 LD (Searching Rank 1) // 1 Stealth Detection (Searching Rank 1) // 5 MIT (Light armour Mastery Rank 1)

Battle Items:
  1. - 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)
  2. - 1 T1 Immolation Potion (10DMG to successful non-Crit attacker)
  3. -1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP
  4. - 1 T1 Snack (+1 Eva)
  5. - 1 Tier One Snack (+3LD) 

Additional Buffs
  1. Aincrad Trading Post Guild - +2 Exp per craft made // +5 to salvage LD
  2. Aincrad Trading Post Guild - +5% Mob Kill Col // +10% Treasure Chest Col

Edited by Randal
18 hours ago, Randal said:

“No”

The bluntness of Randal's reply went over Skeleton's head, thankfully Skeleton was used to, and was fine with replies like this.

“I just got back to town not too Long ago when I heard you calling out for me, I then came over as soon as I could, besides, at my level, nothing I can find here would drop any loot for me.”

"That's understandable. I just got back too, didn't expect to find this quest so easily." Skeleton explained absent minded.

Skeleton was mid crouch when Randal opened his mouth.

“Is this what you were doing prior to the carnival? Smelling all grass like haha.”

Now in full crouch, Skeleton tilted his head towards Randal as he parted some grass.

"Heh, yeah... I spent 3 days sifting through grass for a quest..." Skeleton explained.

"I mean, searching carefully will make sure I don't miss anything, right?"

Spoiler

ID# 131123

LD:17

Skeleton pulled up a material and added it to his inventory. The material dissipated in the usual blue light and updated his HUD.

1/5 T1 Materials Gathered.

"Great, we're moving quickly. We're doing good work. Maybe this won't take a whole 3 days." Skeleton said as he brought himself back to a standing position.

“Hopefully this will help...truth be told it’s not all that easy to gather things either.”

Skeleton reached out to accept the snack. For once he wasn't starving, but he was still peckish.

"Thanks." Skeleton said as he started biting in to the snack.

This was Skeleton's first time trying soy bean but they were surprisingly tasty. He quickly finished the snack, ready to get back to work.

Edited by Skeleton
11 minutes ago, Skeleton said:

I mean, searching carefully will make sure I don't miss anything, right?"

“Yeap, that’s also very true, more often than not you have to be careful not to overlook anything, but the expanse of the fields outside the town of beginnings is so wide and covers such a large range of land, we could explore in any direction and possibly find something.”

11 minutes ago, Skeleton said:

Great, we're moving quickly. We're doing good work. Maybe this won't take a whole 3 days

“What was the total number of materials that the person wanted you to collect? I think we should be almost half way there right? This’ll be easy as pie.” Though as a Chef/cook it is important to note that pies were not all easy to make, they had many important aspects like crust filling and appearance that all require a specific kind of finesse to execute.

Spoiler

ID# 131127

LD 7+1 (fail)

While Randal was busy thinking about the pies and his cooking career, he barely had the mental bandwidth to pay attention to the large array of materials that was practically scattered all around him.

Edited by Randal
40 minutes ago, Randal said:

“What was the total number of materials that the person wanted you to collect? I think we should be almost half way there right? This’ll be easy as pie.”

ID# 131138

LD: 1+3

"We needed 5 of them. But from the looks of things we're going at a decent pace." Skeleton replied.

Skeleton once again began crouching down, sitting on his heels as he reached out to part the grass. He wasn't finding what he needed, but he continued searching steadily. The thought of the different kinds of potions he could was interesting, but he didn't think much on the kind of processes he'd have to learn. There's bound to be information, as long as he had a book and instructions, Skeleton was confident he could craft a potion.

"How do you feel about your profession anyways? Being a chef seems kinda stressful. You're a nutritionist mainly, right? How do you balance nutrition with taste?" he asked.

Skeleton was curious as he imagined that his potions were expected to be bitter or gross, but necessary for self preservation, or self assurance in this environment.

To be honest, Randal did not mind if the quest dragged in a bit, life in the game was as such, the struggles of being higher level and completing quests on floors were extremely difficult if attempted by oneself.

This was because being accompanied by someone always made Randal feel more alive, with a greater entertainment value, encouraged to continue. This also made Randal think about familiars and how both he and Skeleton wanted to find one.

While Randal was thinking so, he managed to discover a rare metal ore Just lying on the floor that he could turn into a wonderful feature on a dish.

“Hey man, have you thought about what kind of familiar you want?” Randal asked @Skeleton

To be honest, Randal was looking for a creature that was mythical to some degree, or maybe cute, or maybe functional, he didn’t really know but he did have some vague ideas about how to utilise familiars, he still nothing concrete.

Spoiler

ID# 131127

LD: 17+1 (Success)

2 T1 Material found total

Edited by Randal
2 hours ago, Randal said:

“Hey man, have you thought about what kind of familiar you want?

Skeleton was slowly waddling through the grass, when Randal asked about the familiars. Skeleton hadn't given it much thought, but he wanted something that's go well with his planned skill set. Evasive, accurate, low maintenance, that kind of thing. His mind wandered through possibilities, but he couldn't see himself with a wolf, or a cat, or a dragon. They would be cool, no doubt about that, but he didn't want to force a familiar into a trophy role.

"Hmm... That's a good question. To be honest I haven't, no. I was kind of thinking it was random, but if we can select the familiar species specifically, that's going to stall me. I'll have to think about it now then. Got plenty of time anyways." Skeleton replied.

Spoiler

ID# 131154

LD: 10+3

The question had distracted Skeleton form his gathering, who knows if he had passed by a material or not nearby. Randal seemed to be cut out for this more than he was.

“What about dragons, personally they have always been a favourite of mine, and i know that some players here in this game already have a dragon familiar so it must be possible although probably improbable.” Randal quickly spoke.

Just as Randal was contemplating other kinds of familiars he could get, he noticed a faint smell of blood in the air, signalling to Skeleton to come over, Randal began making his way slowly towards the smell on all fours being as quiet as possible. When he made the turn around a tree trunk.

Laying flat on the floor was an NPC who indicated through the system that he had a quest for anyone who came by, as Randal looked the man up and down he made a few observations, the man’s white tunic was stained with blood but the fabric indicated a single wound. 

Randal glanced at skeleton and waited for his call.

Spoiler

ID# 131155

LD 10+1

Edited by Randal
8 minutes ago, Randal said:

“What about dragons, personally they have always been a favourite of mine, and i know that some players here in this game already have a dragon familiar so it must be possible although probably improbable.”

"Dragons are cool, but I'd only make one look lame. Plus they sound pretty high maintenance. Best not to reduce it to a trophy familiar, if that makes sense." Skeleton replied.

Spoiler

ID# 131156

LD: 17+3

Skeleton was picking up a material he had just found when he watched Randal make his way off to the side, signalling him to follow.

2/5 T1 Materials Gathered.

As Skeleton carefully made his way towards Randal, the scent of blood snaked it's way into Skeleton's nostrils. He grimaced. Sometimes the game was a little too realistic. Skeleton had taken to crouching low as he followed Randal around the tree trunk, finding a supposed quest from a man laying on the ground in front of them. One wound, looks like slow bleeding but he's been there for a little while. Skeleton looked around the area, but wasn't able to find any enemies, only a trail of blood slowly making it's way east.

Skeleton turned towards Randal, giving a wordless nod of approval, and carefully stepped out into the clearing. He approached the NPC, who had an empty sheathe on his waist for a dagger, and was holding his hands at his wound to staunch the flow.

"Excuse me, is there anything I can do to help?" Skeleton asked.

The man looked towards Skeleton with gritted teeth before finally opening his mouth to speak.

"Was hunting a boar, lost my knife. One the damned pigs tusked me in the side. I tried to get back to my cabin for medicine but I have no strength to move. Please get them for me. They're on the shelf above the stove." he replied.

For a man bleeding out he sure had energy to talk, skeleton thought to himself. He once again turned back to Randal, looking for his opinion.

Something didn’t feel right about the man’s story to Randal, for instance, if he had really been attacked by a wild boar and lost his knife, how far could he have ran, maybe by game logic he somehow managed to get enough away for the mob to drop aggro but having been beaten up my mobs in this floor not too Long ago, Randal knew better. 

Keeping his opinion to himself cause you never really know what’s happening here, Randal asked the man where his cabin was and where the boar was last seen.

”My cabin isn’t too far away, in fact I would make the journey myself if I could but I feel my body weakening.“ “The stupid boar that gutted me is just down towards that valley there, I was trying to find a precious herb for my usage before the creature got startled and ran me through.” Taking mental notes of the situation, Randal imagined that it was also possible this here was a highwayman that was trying to rob others and had met his match, whom left him here to die.

Spoiler

ID# 131157

LD 2+1

Edited by Randal
Spoiler

ID# 131158

LD: 17+3

As Skeleton listened in to Randal's questioning of the NPC while turning his back and keeping a look out for any strange activity.Thankfully he managed to spy a material he needed, so zipped over to quickly pluck it from the ground. It seemed like Randal may be worried about this being a possible con. Skeleton had begun to consider if there were possibly a group of thugs just waiting for them to enter the cabin before attacking.

As Randal's conversation came to an end, Skeleton turned to the NPC with a smile on his face.

"A boar attack is horrible, don't worry bud, we'll get your medicine for you." Skeleton said with an upbeat tone that made his own head stir.

As he said this, he wrapped an arm around Randal's neck, pulling him along, keeping up the act until he was sure the guy would be out of earshot.

"How about I go ahead, and you hang back, if there are assailants, I'd be baiting them out. A whistle every so often to let you know I'm not dead?" Skeleton whispered.

3/5 T1 Materials Gathered.

“Just to double confirm, you want me to take a step back while you want to take on some randoms assailants ahead in the cabin?” Randal thought that this would be probably be a bad idea, due to the fact that there was simple not enough information about the man and his hut to go on. Just some suspicions of his own.

However since it seems like Skeleton shared the impression that something may have gone wrong here and that foul play was indeed the cause then caution would probably be the best foot forward. So Randal indicated that he was willing to let skeleton go ahead first because if anything he could come and swap in with skeleton if worst comes to worst. Think as so he told Skeleton “Dont just whistle, it doesn’t matter if they m is I’m around so feel free to shout for anything after they appear, and watch out for sneak attacks.”

Upon giving skeleton this piece of advice, Randal immediately took a slower pace than skeleton allow him to pull ahead of the team by about 10-15 meters, which in the forest was enough distance to loose sight of a person. While taking a slower walk, Randal saw a material he needed and collected it.

Spoiler

ID# 131159

LD 16+1 (Success)

3 T1 Materials Found Total

Edited by Randal
3 minutes ago, Randal said:

“Dont just whistle, it doesn’t matter if they m is I’m around so feel free to shout for anything after they appear, and watch out for sneak attacks.”

"Of course I'm gonna shout, it's just in case I'm killed without seeing them." Skeleton said as he began to jog forward for about 15 meters.

Spoiler

ID# 131160

LD:16+3

@Randal

Part way up the path Skeleton recognised another material he required, he moved over to it, scooped it up and continued to move towards the cabin. Or where the NPC said the cabin was located.

4/5 T1 Materials Gathered.

The foliage of the forest was beginning to thicken in this portion, and Skeleton couldn't help but grow concerned. Unless there was a clearing nearby, no boars or cabins would be in the area at all. Skeleton began to let out a whistle as he began to scan the area around him. It was getting eerily quiet, and Skeleton didn't like that.

After a short period of time, which felt much more extended by the standing hairs on Skeleton's neck, he came to an abrupt clearing. The clearing was manufactured, tree stumps littered the area. It seems old as there was moss beginning to grow on the stumps. No external buildings with only a single plain cabin in the center. It was likely where all the trees resources were put.

Skeleton began approaching the cabin, trusting that Randal was still nearby.

So as much as Randal was supposed to be 10-15 meters behind skeleton, he couldn’t really keep distance very well As the forest began to grow around them and swelled them up as the got deeper and closer to the clearing and was actually like 5 meters away from skeleton but the vegetation made it feel so much further away. 

However, the moment Skeleton has burst into the clearing Randal stiffly stopped, just barely able to keep himself hidden from sight and exposing himself by stepping into the clearing.

Randal then as would not become his signature sneaking move, get down on all fours and began shuffling as sneakily as possible around the perimeter. This was to give him an advantage in the even that there were actually assailants.

Randal began to consider the possibility of something going wrong, because this all seemed a little too elaborate. Was the man in so much trouble that his assailants would really wait for him in the house to ambush him...?

Spoiler

ID# 131161

LD 8+1

Edited by Randal

Skeleton had looked around for signs of tripewires or pitfalls, but found nothing out of the ordinary. Then he thought to himself that he had no idea what he was even looking for and shook away the thought. The cabin was a rather neatly crafted home, conditioned to seal as much in as possible. There were signs of living, as smoke was billowing out of a chimney, and a table he saw through the window had an empty plate.

Skeleton raised a hand and knocked on the door with his knuckles.

"Hello? Is anyone home? We're here looking for medicine. Someone sent us here because they were injured in the woods." Skeleton called.

There was no answer, leaving Skeleton to put his hands in his pockets and just swivel, looking around while waiting for a reply. Like an idiot.

Spoiler

ID# 131162

LD: 15+3

@Randal

Out of the corner of his eye, he spied a material he needed. Stepping over to pick it up, he used this as an excuse to give any possible residents ample time to answer the door.

5/5 T1 Materials Gathered.

Now all he had to do was resolve this fiasco and he can head back to Evangelin Calora for training.

He reached for the door, finding it open unlocked. Stepping to look around, he saw nothing but a lit fire, a pot on the stove, and a pair of shoes off to the side.

"That's weird..."

When nothing had happened in the last 10 minutes of watching Skeleton creep over to the house, Randal got bored and decided that stances on all fours was an incredibly tiring pose to maintain for a Long period of time.

So he got up and approached the hut, he indicated to Skeleton what was his problem and quickly understood the peculiar look on his friend’s face, there was nothing wrong with the house

Upon realising they may have been too mistrustful towards an injured man, who was just minding his own business when he got run over by some Boars, Randal and Skeleton gave each other a glance that contained all they needed to know and quickly picked up the medicine before running over to the man and administering it.

Upon doing so, Randal was personally awarded with an ingredient just nearby which spawned. Randal then promptly turned to Skeleton, awkwardly laughed and asked “Have you found what you needed?”

Spoiler

ID# 131163

18+1

4 T1 Material Found

Edited by Randal
40 minutes ago, Randal said:

“Have you found what you needed?”

"Yeah, 5 materials. Tier 1. Just need to head back to Evangeline's tent and I can get started." Skeleton said.

Backtracking to the tent was easily done. Upon arriving, Evangeline Calora was eagerly waiting outside her tent, already attempting to usher Skeleton inside.

"Come now, dear. It is time to begin. I assume you have properly gathered the required materials?" She started.

"Y-yes, I did." Skeleton said as he was pushed into the tent.

"Perfect my dear. First things first is crafting a salve, do as I do and you will be an Alchemist in no time. You would be wise to stick to salves until you're more experienced." Evangeline continued.

Spoiler

ID# 131164

CD: 11

+5 Alchemist Exp

@Randal

Her hands whipped and darted as she prepared the materials, tools and salve itself. Quickly whipping one in to creation. Skeleton was far more prepared than even he himself anticipated. He quickly mimicked her movements without a second thought, stringing together the salve just a few seconds shy of Evangeline herself.

"Oho~ You have quite the gift to be able to keep up as you did. I think you'd be capable of running your own tent just like mine~" she said in a sing song tone.

She quickly whipped out a piece of paper. It stated that Evangeline Calora has personally consented and provided a recommendation as well as funds for Skeleton to open up shop or tent in the town of beginnings. It was quickly shoved in to Skeleton's hand as she had a grin from ear to ear.

"Take this to the store proprietor and you shall be up and running, dear~ Do try to not put me out of business~ Ohoho~" she cackled.

Almost as quick as he was in the tent, he was back outside. Staring at Randal with a new salve in hand, and a piece of paper in the other. Unbeknownst to Skeleton, she had stuffed his pockets with 5 additional T1 Materials, and he kept the remaining 4 T1 materials he had not used.

Edited by Skeleton

Randal followed Skeleton all the way back to the Alchemist’s tent...although he really didn’t expect the person Skeleton to be learning from would be someone who would set up shop in a tent, failing to realise the irony when he himself set up a shop that looked like a food truck. Nonetheless Randal waited patiently outside the  tent as the smell of a particular medicinal scent wafted outside and tickled his nostrils.

Shortly thereafter Skeleton came out completely unhurt and gleefully smiling from ear to ear, it was kinda creepy but hey it was a cause for celebration.

”Hey SkellyBoi my friend, you are going to become Rank 2 real quick and when you do, you should head over to floor 17, there you can find a god to challenge and get some good loot, it’s called the challenge of Olympus.”

”Anyway you should go over and get your shop started as soon as possible friend.”

- - -

Thread Summary

Randal

2 SP + 200 Col + 4 T1 Materials

Skeleton

3 SP + 200 Col + 9 T1 Materials + Crafted Item + Alchemist Profession + Alchemist Shop