[F1-PP] <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

Spoiler

<<Secret Medicine Of The Forest>>

This quest takes place on Floor 1
This quest is not repeatable

Little_Nepent.png

On the first floor, the player is given a quest that introduces them to 'Field Bosses'. The quest states that a small village is in need of a medicine, <Little Nepent's Ovule>, which is dropped by a special variant of the mob, Nepent. The players who partake in the quest must slay normal Nepents until a 'Variant Nepent' spawns. The Nepents spawn in the wooded area on floor 1.

The nepents stand at around a meter and a half tall. Its lower body consists mostly of countless roots that it uses to move around. It has two arm-like vines with pointed leaves attached to either side of its body, just above the roots. The center of its head holds a wide red mouth with viscous liquids dribbling out of it as it opens and shuts.

The variant has a red bulb on top of it's 'head' which reveals to be a giant red flower. Or it's decorated with fruit. Either way, it's the same as its counterpart in shape, size, and strength.

Completion Requirements:

- 20 Posts Minimum.
-Must defeat 2 Nepents per player.
- Nepent Variant must be defeated.

Nepent Information:

HP: 7
Mitigation: 0
Damage: 3

2 Nepents spawn for each player in the participating party.

Nepent Variant Information:
Nepent Variant is a Quest Boss and has the following statistics:

HP: 15
Mitigation: 5
Damage: 10
Nepent Variant ignores armor mitigation on a natural roll of 10

Drops the quest item <Nepent's Ovule> on an LD roll of 12 or higher, failure will have you fight the normal Nepents again until another Variant spawns. This loot roll must be separate from the attack roll that defeats it. Failure to find the <Nepent's Ovule> will result in the players having to fight the Normal Nepents again, to draw out an additional Variant Nepent.

Rewards:

2 Skill Points

(Parties or Groups of low-level players are advised.)
Recommended Level: 5

Spoiler

Randal had just been chilling in Horunka village, casually experimenting with his cooking when a cry for help was heard in the centre of town, never really Bremen one to turn down the possibility of adventure, Randal quickly made his way over to the information centre to find out more about the commotion.

The man in the middle was crying for help, staying that a just monster had appeared while he was on a normal hunting trip and killed a few of his buddies. He was Pleading with any who would stop to listen to the commotion, Randal included. However Randal didn’t want to get mixed it with a Monster that could kill players. 

Instead he decided to find out more information first before he decided, just as he was walking into the information centre to find out more about the creature, he spotted a familiar face in the area.

@Skeleton” he called out.

Edited by Randal

Skeleton had begun to wander around Horunka after exploring nearby for new materials to use, alongside trying to find someone who'd be able to inform him if he was doing anything incorrectly with his crafts. As he was wandering around town looking for somewhere to eat and rest, he heard a familiar voice call out to him, cutting through his thought process.

25 minutes ago, Randal said:

@Skeleton

Skeleton stopped midstep, with his left foot outstretched as he was just about to shift his weight to it and continue. Turning his neck his vision turned with it, showing Randal off to the side, yelling at him. Skeleton swiveled on his heel and made his way towards Randal, lifting a hand out of his pocket to wave as he approached.

"Hey @Randal, what's the yelling about?" he asked.

As Skeleton approached he noticed that the man behind Randal was approaching anyone and everyone nearby, with distress and panic on his face. Skeleton had almost begun to question about the man's sanity before recognising that he was in fact simply an NPC with a quest to start.

“Oh this?” Randal indicates with a thumb outstretched behind him.

“I’m not too sure myself, was just about to head to the counter to find out more. Come on let’s go.” Regal turned to head towards the information broker.

Standing by the counter was a little girl wearing what Randal assumed to be purely decorative. The little girl proceeded to explain to them that the man was crying out over something called Nepent variant, Randal himself has never encountered a regular Nepent much less a variant one.

The girl noticed Randal‘a look of confusion and also explained that Nepents was a plant based Monster that looked like giant Venus flytrap which had roots for appendages. After explaining their stats for awhile as well as some token attributes, the girl continued to explained that the field boss that the man was crying about was a variant and variants only appeared as mutations from the norm that tended to be stronger than regular Nepents

” shall we? @Skeleton” Randal looked expectedly.

8 minutes ago, Randal said:

“Oh this?”

8 minutes ago, Randal said:

“I’m not too sure myself, was just about to head to the counter to find out more. Come on let’s go.”

Skeleton was unable to reply before Randal turned and began making his way towards a little girl behind him. Skeleton was surprised at the abrupt invitation but shrugged internally before putting his hand back in his pocket and following Randal along.

It didn't take very long before Randal and the little girl began talking about stats. Skeleton found himself listening in very little and instead looking over the quest requirements and notes via his in game menu.

"We'll need to fight plant creatures called Nepents in groups of 4 until a Variant appears. Then repeat the process until the variant drops a specific item with a 60% drop rate. Mathematically we're expected to get it after fighting 8 nepents and two variants. Trial by fire, huh." Skeleton babbled to himself.

Skeleton had yet to actively battle or combat creatures within the game yet, however he thankfully had quite the assortment of potions in stock for healing. Whatever he doesn't use can go back on the shelf when he returns to his store.

1 hour ago, Skeleton said:

"We'll need to fight plant creatures called Nepents in groups of 4 until a Variant appears. Then repeat the process until the variant drops a specific item with a 60% drop rate. Mathematically we're expected to get it after fighting 8 nepents and two variants. Trial by fire, huh." Skeleton babbled to himself.

Actually the quest only stated that we have to right two Nepents each so we only technically need to fight 4 Nepents and kill the field boss once. In addition I can loan you some equipment to help boost our chances of finding the Nepents ovule from the Nepent variant, he said dangling some shiny perfect earrings in front of Skeleton.

“I’ll lend them to you cause the being too a friend of mine, I’m not aware if you’ve met yet.” Randal said with uncertainty.

Seeing as how Skeleton wasn’t explaining any priests to the upcoming quest together, Randal continued to query the location of the Nepents lair and dragged skeleton along to the outskirts if the town of beginnings and began trekking through the forests to hunt down the Nepents, along the way they to see an increase in vegetation and Randal felt like he saw the trees moving but couldn’t be sure. 

@Skeleton

Edited by Randal
11 minutes ago, Randal said:

Actually the quest only stated that we have to right two Nepents each so we only technically need to fight 4 Nepents and kill the field boss once.

Skeleton stared blankly, at Randal. Didn't I say that just now? he thought himself. Skeleton had for a moment thought he had said it aloud but just repressed the event altogether.

13 minutes ago, Randal said:

In addition I can loan you some equipment to help boost our chances of finding the Nepents ovule from the Nepent variant

"Earrings, huh? Never did get my ears pierced, but thankfully I think it doesn't matter." Skeleton pondered aloud.

"Thanks for the equipment, but now you have me curious. You have other friends?" Skeleton jabbed.

As Randal continued to query about the location, the area turned out to be close to where Skeleton had intended on gathering materials next. Upon arrival to an area that at least seemed to be nearby their intended location, the flora in the area obviously swelled up in flares that began to intertwine into making the ground seem like an organism in it's own right. The vines seem to pulsate slowly, that is, to breathe. Skeleton clenched a hold of the dagger at his waist. The area made him feel uneasy.

1 hour ago, Skeleton said:

"Earrings, huh? Never did get my ears pierced, but thankfully I think it doesn't matter." Skeleton pondered aloud.

"Thanks for the equipment, but now you have me curious. You have other friends?" Skeleton jabbed.

“Hahaha don’t worry it literally doesn’t matter because if you just equip them using your system interface they just sort of appear.” Randal chuckled as he gave Skeleton the earrings. “Don’t forget though this was loaned to me by a friend so you gotta give them back haha, i might forget” He scrunched up his face.

“Hey! Don’t be rude, why wouldn’t I have other friends? It’s just that by the time I met them they were already a higher level than me so it was hard to invite them out on quests “. 

Randal saw a group of Nepents appear in front of them and promptly began to tighten his arm wraps, based on the stats that the lady had given him and winning his attempt to attack works he could wipe out the team but decided to let Skeleton have a go too and just ran up to punch one.

Spoiler

Randal: 

HP 300/300 // Energy 30/30 // 1 DMG 

Items:
 3 DMG (T1E3 Perfect Hand Wraps) // 3 EVA (T1E3 Perfect Light Armour) // 3 LD (T1E1 Perfect Light Armour)

Skills:
 1 LD (Searching Rank 1) // 1 Stealth Detection (Searching Rank 1) // 5 MIT (Light armour Mastery Rank 1) // 5 DMG (Martial Arts Mastery Rank 3)

basic attack: ID# 132165
 BD: 9 
hit for 9 damage.

Nepent 1: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

[2 Hate] Nepent 2: 7/7 HP // 3 DMG

[2 Hate] Nepent 3: 7/7 HP // 3 DMG

[2 Hate] Nepent 4: 7/7 HP // 3 DMG

After hitting one of the Nepents, it disintegrated into a blue light.

@Skeleton

Edited by Randal
On 12/17/2019 at 4:11 AM, Randal said:

“Hahaha don’t worry it literally doesn’t matter because if you just equip them using your system interface they just sort of appear.” Randal chuckled as he gave Skeleton the earrings. “Don’t forget though this was loaned to me by a friend so you gotta give them back haha, i might forget”

Accepting and equipping the earrings, Skeleton made a mental note to be sure to return the earrings once the quest was done. He didn't want to keep them if they were important to Randal. Or expensive. They did indeed simply appear on his ears, pulling his ears down slightly. The new feeling of weight on the sides of his head was strange and a little bit distracting. Skeleton repeatedly wanted to lifted his hand to his ears and brush away the weight that was on them before realising what he was attempting part way through.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:11 AM, Randal said:

“Hey! Don’t be rude, why wouldn’t I have other friends? It’s just that by the time I met them they were already a higher level than me so it was hard to invite them out on quests “

"Oh? Then why don't they come along to smash this quest for you?" teased Skeleton.

As Skeleton was speaking, the group of Nepents reared their ugly heads from the flora around them, however within seconds 4 became 3 and Randal disintegrated one of them.

"Huh, guess you'll be fine without them then."

Spoiler

Skeleton:

Spoiler

Level: 8

HP: 160/160

Energy: 16

Damage: 1

Battle Items:

Spoiler
  1. (5) T1 Uncommon Potion (40HP)

Equipment:

Spoiler

Rare Dagger (T1 Damage, T1 Damage)

Vanity Body Piece

Randal's Rented Earrings (Loot Die, Loot Die, Loot Die)

Skills:

Spoiler

One Handed Weapons (Rank 2)

Sword Art List:

Spoiler
  1. [x2 Stun] Side Bite (5 Energy) - Stab your opponent in both sides, pincing nerves, stunning opponent.

2. [x2] Round Accel (2 Energy) - Dash around target at high speeds, delivering two slash/stabs into target.
  3. [x3] Tri Pierce (3 Energy) - Stab target three times, slashing diagonally to cause a triangle effect on each one
  4. [x4] Fad Edge (4 Energy) - The user swiftly strikes the opponent with four thrusts in brisk succession.

Preparing his dagger, Skeleton began to follow alongside Randal to attack a nearby Nepent.

Spoiler

ID# 132205

BD: 6 (Success)

Damage: (3x3)-0=9

Nepent 1: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

Nepent 2: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

[1 Hate] Nepent 3: 7/7 HP // 3 DMG

Spoiler

BD: ID# 132289

6(-3 From Randal's Evasion)

Misses attack.

[1 Hate] Nepent 4: 7/7 HP // 3 DMG

Spoiler

BD: ID# 132290

7(-3 From Randal's Evasion)

Misses attack.

The dagger's sword art began to take control of Skeleton's arm, guiding him through the skill and allowing his skill to strike the enemy the full three strikes it requires to complete. Before Skeleton could think, the Nepent was shattering in front of him. Thankfully he managed succeed.

Edited by Skeleton

Randal just smiled to himself when he heard what Skeleton said, after all this time he was finally starting enough to go after the basic first floor quests, he could still very clearly remember the difficult of killing a few boards during the first few chain missions... that was a doozy..

Anyway, Randal thought that he say something moving amongst the vegetation, he felt like as they killed the Nepent, they were calling out for help from their ally, this early mentioned in the quest requirements but it must be how to draw out the boss or in the case the variant.

Not willing to drag on the fight any longer and wanting to kill the boss, Randal used a sword skill to try and AOE the last two Nepents. He dashed forward and killed both with two lightning fast left and right hands disintegrating the two straight to digital hell.

Spoiler

Randal: 

HP 300/300 // Energy 26/30 // 1 DMG 

Items:
 3 DMG (T1E3 Perfect Hand Wraps) // 3 EVA (T1E3 Perfect Light Armour) // 3 LD (T1E1 Perfect Light Armour)

Skills:
 1 LD (Searching Rank 1) // 1 Stealth Detection (Searching Rank 1) // 5 MIT (Light armour Mastery Rank 1) // 5 DMG (Martial Arts Mastery Rank 3)

Aggresive Twins (4 Energy): ID# 132165
 BD: 10
hit for 11 damage x2 to both Nepents

Nepent 1: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

Nepent 2: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

Nepent 3: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

Nepent 4: 0/7 HP // 3 DMG

Following that he heard something shaking in the back ground and saw a Nepent appears with a huge red flower blooming from its head.

Randal looked at Skeleton and gestured for him to go. @Skeleton

Edited by Randal

Watching Randal quickly shred through the remaining two Nepents caused the vegetation surrounding them to writhe. It didn't take long for the Variant Nepent to make it'self known, lurching upwards and bending over as if to attempt intimidation.

Skeleton reaffirmed the grip on his dagger, recognising that Randal was still preoccupied with recovering from his own assault on the prior Nepents, Skeleton decided to make a charge first at the Variant Nepent with Randal's own gesture at him to go backing him up. With Tri Pierce still on cooldown, Skeleton chose the next higher end skill to attack with.

Spoiler

ID# 132293

Damage = ((3+1)*4)-5

= 11 Damage

The dagger in Skeleton's hand was once again guided and pushed forward, striking through the Nepent's body like a hot knife through butter.

"I think that did plenty on it, it's health dropped about a quarter. Think you can finish it?" Skeleton called out to Randal, who he had placed his faith in to follow up on his 4 strike assault.

Skeleton's Energy: 10/16

Variant Nepent HP: 4/15 (10 Damage, 5 Mitigation)

2 Hate on Skeleton.

Edited by Skeleton

Regal watched skeleton slice through the Nepent in one smooth motion and was thoroughly impressed with the display, as Randal came face to face with the Nepent variant, he noticed a cold wind blowing downwind towards them and smelled a horrible stench coming from the variant. As the cold wind blew, Randal got ready to attack the Nepent, he bent down to get stability and approached the creature.

The creature having been attacked by Skeleton was focused on its attacked and barely noticed Randal as he approached and he only had to dodge some random roots as they flickered around the air. Skeleton however was dodging left right and all over the place in an attempt to dodge all the attacks coming his was, fortunately he was successful.

Randal However didn’t manage to land his attacks. He actually geared up to kick the base of the creature when he was forced to back out from the close combat vicinity when the monster felt danger and started protecting itself with it’s roots.

ID# 132295

BD 4 (Miss) MD 4-3 (Miss)

Randal gains 1 energy(27) and 0 hate.

Edited by Randal

Skeleton's legs continued to duck and dash between the Variant's attacks as they repeatedly aimed for his neck. As he watched Randal prepare his attack the Nepent became distracted for long enough for Skeleton to attempt to get one final strike in. A quick step in and under the nearby vine, Skeleton was directly face to face, or rather face to belly with the Nepent. Coiling in his arm, dagger in hand, he began following through the Sword Art Fad Edge once more.

Spoiler

ID# 132312

Damage = ((3+1)*4)-5

= 11 Damage

Between the strikes, the Nepent began to shatter, leaving Skeleton to slice through the air for the remaining two strikes of his Sword Art. Landing on the ground nearby Randal, Skeleton quickly twisted in preparation for another attack, but saw none coming.

"Oh, it's over... We need to check for a Nepent's Ovule, right?" Skeleton asked as he approached the Varian'ts previous spot.

Spoiler

ID# 132313

LD: 9+3(Loaned Earrings)

Nestled in a floaty portion of air, there it was. The <Nepent's Ovule> had thankfully dropped for them on the first attempt.

Edited by Skeleton

Immediately after Skeleton initiated the final blow onto the variant boss, Randal knew that he had succeeded from the moment his Attack landed based in the degree and velocity if the hit as well as gauging based on how much damage he had previously done.

As the variant disintegrated, the variant’s ovule spawned for Skeleton to collect.

Randal walked up and took a look and said “you know you’re holding the variants reproductive organ right?” With a cheeky smile in his face.

“Don’t worry, know that we have this we can make our way back no problem.” Randal said as he stopped to turn around in a way that very clearly communicated to Skeleton that he had no idea which way he was going.

“Not to worry,I also packed lunch for us if we took too Long which we fortunately didn’t.” Randal said. Along the way, he also didn’t forget to pick up any materials if he found any. Which he did

ID# 132322

LD 18+3+1

1 T1 Material Found Total

@Skeleton

Edited by Randal
22 minutes ago, Randal said:

“you know you’re holding the variants reproductive organ right?”

Skeleton's pricked up as Randal spoke.

"Thankfully I'm just an avatar and don't need to wash my hands of germs." Skeleton retorted, hiding his repulsed thoughts.

After a moment, the Ovule shattered into blue light, adding itself itself to the inventory, and updating the quest objectives to a completed status. Skeleton turned back to Randal to see what he was up to before seeing about heading back.

22 minutes ago, Randal said:

“Not to worry,I also packed lunch for us if we took too Long which we fortunately didn’t.”

Despite the confidence that Randal was putting up front, he stopped and turned to Skeleton, looking truly lost in which way we had to go. Skeleton took a look around and backtraced his steps. He found that directionally, he didn't turn that much, and pointed off to the left side from where Randal was standing.

"It's this way. We should be out of the forest in about 20 mins, and back at town in about 45." Skeleton stated with arms folded and a hand on his chin.

Spoiler

ID# 132324

LD: 1

Edited by Skeleton

Randal knew exactly what Skeleton meant... totally knew what he meant, but life is a journey right?

“Haha, hey did the guy who was complaining about the variant look weak to you or are we just kinda starting fire this area?” Randal asked. He paused and waited for Skeleton to answer before asking another question.

“So what’s the situation in your profession and familiar catching, you haven’t been updating me, you could totally drop by my shop more for food or anything really.”

With these conversations and good partner, Randal was fairly certain to be out of the forest in no time with the good news that he and Skeleton had managed to defeat the variant. In full consideration, after they defeated the variant the forest did seem to die down in vigour and spirit and little which was weird to Randal but probably perfectly normal an occurrence. Speaking of which there was another material on the ground.

ID# 132323

LD 17+3+1

2 T1 Materials Found Total

Edited by Randal
10 minutes ago, Randal said:

“Haha, hey did the guy who was complaining about the variant look weak to you or are we just kinda starting fire this area?”

"I guess he was more farmer than fighter. That's how they try to reason it away in game logic, isn't it?" Skeleton mulled.

He didn't really consider whether or not the NPC was strong, as to him, the NPC was simply a starting gate to participate and introduce the quest. He had no function outside of that purpose and had no real backstory aside from what he was programmed to say. Skeleton couldn't bring himself to feel sympathy or pity for them, despite how human they looked.

“So what’s the situation in your profession and familiar catching, you haven’t been updating me, you could totally drop by my shop more for food or anything really.”

Randal's question caught him off guard.

"Oh, I was holed up in store, practicing. FInally managed to make a single salve to make familiar taming easier. After that whole ordeal I wanted to rest a bit before heading out to look for the gypsy." he explained.

Spoiler

ID# 132325

LD: 6+3

Watching as Randal started looking around for materials, Skeleton began looking with that reminder. Despite knowing what to look for, he found nothing available.

@Randal

Edited by Skeleton
54 minutes ago, Skeleton said:

"I guess he was more farmer than fighter. That's how they try to reason it away in game logic, isn't it?" Skeleton mulled.

What Skeleton had said actually made a lot of sense to Randal, that was something Randal actually didn’t consider, what if that NPC was actually just a random farmer...” Hey do you want to explore the neighbouring area a bit to see if we can find any hidden villages or something? I’m sure they exist “ Randal spontaneously said in excitement.

Regal followed up by looking into every available area in the vicinity that they walked already for any signs of Materials on the ground or anyway, he even checked under the rocks and stuff.

54 minutes ago, Skeleton said:

Oh, I was holed up in store, practicing. FInally managed to make a single salve to make familiar taming easier. After that whole ordeal I wanted to rest a bit before heading out to look for the gypsy." he explained.

“OH holing yourself up isn’t very good, but don’t worry I did something similar in the past too. There was something about a new profession that caused players to disappear after getting it. Don’t forget about the challenge of Olympus, they send you up once you reach rank 2.” Randal said to Skeleton this time not really finding anything.

ID# 132326

LD 6+3+1

Edited by Randal
59 minutes ago, Randal said:

” Hey do you want to explore the neighbouring area a bit to see if we can find any hidden villages or something? I’m sure they exist “

Randal's spontaneity took Skeleton by surprise as his party member immediately darted off in search of adventure. Skeleton would have attempted to answer the question but Randal was already dead set on searching. Thankfully Skeleton was going to agree regardless, and took up following along loosely. Keeping check to ensure that Randal was still an acceptable distance away, Skeleton began searching for dark or damp and mossy areas for more materials.

Spoiler

ID# 132329

LD: 4+3

Despite his vigorous efforts, no materials could be located that would be in any way half decent as a salve or potion. Possibly as a tea or food item, but nothing medicinal.

1 hour ago, Randal said:

“OH holing yourself up isn’t very good, but don’t worry I did something similar in the past too. There was something about a new profession that caused players to disappear after getting it. Don’t forget about the challenge of Olympus, they send you up once you reach rank 2.”

"The Challenge of Olympus? I forgot all about that. I'm Rank 5 now... You think I'll still get invited?" Skeleton asked.

He hadn't received any emails, or any notifications. Maybe there's another trigger, or maybe he leveled up too quickly in a short span of time. Skeleton made a mental note to chase up the quest when they got back.

Edited by Skeleton
7 hours ago, Skeleton said:

The Challenge of Olympus? I forgot all about that. I'm Rank 5 now... You think I'll still get invited?" Skeleton asked.

Randal laughter at the coincidence, what Skeleton probably didn’t know was that Randalwas also rank5 when he went for the quest. He totally got sis tracked and forgot about the notification that popped up when he became rank 2 and just carried on on his merry way until the crafting attempts forced Randal to look for a better way.

“Yes,I did the same thing! You just gotta head on up, check your mail out notifications tho, they should haven’t you some random heads up, the letter varies from shape to content but the main message is to go to mount Olympus to meet the good of your craft. Honestly if they forgot to give you the notification, that’s totally wrong. You should make it a big deal” Randal gave Skeleton some exposition.

“Hey since we’re out here looking for villages, you should try looking for some treasure too, I’ve never found any before but maybe you’ll have good luck.” Randal said

“Yes,I did the same thing! You just gotta head on up, check your mail out notifications tho, they should haven’t you some random heads up, the letter varies from shape to content but the main message is to go to mount Olympus to meet the good of your craft. Honestly if they forgot to give you the notification, that’s totally wrong. You should make it a big deal”

Skeleton once again started pulling up menus to search through his inbox. He could have sworn he hadn't missed anything new as he usually keeps on top of this kind of stuff. Lo and behold, a simple message that looked like it came from a scammer came through.

Hello <<Player>> we have sent challend to you!

Skeleton narrowed his eyes and furrowed his brow. He closed the menu system altogether and continued alongside Randal, ignoring the message's existence for the time being.

“Hey since we’re out here looking for villages, you should try looking for some treasure too, I’ve never found any before but maybe you’ll have good luck.”

"Huh? Me? You think I've got luck? I'll take a look but no promises..." Skeleton replied.

Skeleton did hope for his own good fortune, but there was always that screaming voice that he wished was further at the back of his mind telling him to stop fooling himself.

Spoiler

ID# 132348

LD: 3+3

No Chest.

Despite the glint of hope Skeleton latched on to, he found nothing. Skeleton's shoulder dropped as he put his hands into his pockets.

"Yeah, nothing over here @Randal."

Edited by Skeleton