[PP - F10] Unsteady

a918483773ee6279cec058caedfa367c.jpg
Hold, hold on, hold on to me. 'Cause I'm a little unsteady. A little unsteady.

Lessa fled through the snow-covered street. Her boots slapped slick pavement, ragged breaths and thudding heart impossibly loud in her head. Storefronts, so cheerfully decorated with their sparkling lights and crimson bows, passed without notice. Familiar holiday tunes drifted from a cluster of carolers, but she could not hear them. She could not smell the sweet candied nuts roasting in the sidewalk cart, nor feel the snowflakes kiss her flushed cheeks. They gathered there, melting to shimmering drops on her warm skin, glistening like diamonds. Dark to light, dark to light, she shifted as she raced beneath the streetlamps. She was washed in the glare, then plunged back into shadow, over and over again. And still, she saw nothing.

"Friends again!" She grinned across the table, a single finger selecting the accept option. "Guess it's back to the way things were, huh? Like it never happened?"
"I wouldn't say that," he replied in earnest. "I don't think I would have realized I was wrong if it hadn't happened. Who knows, though."
Their meal concluded, Alkor excused himself, then took his leave. She watched him go, and with the thud of the closing door, something settled on her chest. Lessa breathed deeply, but found the air much thinner than it had been moments before. 
"The cookies are nearly done," Alexander told her, the NPC's gentle hand resting on her shoulder. 
She drew away. "No, I'm sorry. Not today."

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" 

The woman stumbled, thrown off balance after catching another player's shoulder. She tumbled, going to a knee, her bare hand skidding across ice and dirt. The sting barely registered as she found her feet once more. She had to go. She had to go. The shops blurred, the teleport gate wavered ahead of her.

"Seriously? You're not going to apologize or anything? What kind of-"

"Teleport, Yomi," was all she could manage.

"I have a long way to go, don't I?"
"You're alive," he called back over his shoulder. "More than three thousand other players can't say that. Not enough people focus on that fact and lose sight of the real goal in this world. Foremost, we have to survive. Clearing comes second to that. And your prize, m'lady," he remarked softly, gesturing toward the vastness of Aincrad's sky and its majesty. "You made it."
When they came to a halt, and he withdrew his hand, she finally opened her eyes. What she saw caused her breath to catch in her throat. The stars were absolutely incredible. They shimmered like diamonds, strewn about a rich purple and blue canvas. The sight brought forth the emotion that had been pent up inside her. Finally, the tears fell free. As they slid silently down her cheeks, she made no move to wipe them away. Instead, she smiled. As she cried, she rid herself of negative emotion. She felt the weight lifting. These were tears of happiness. How could they be anything else, in a place as beautiful as this.
He reached over and placed his hand on her cheek, without looking at her, and wiped the ones he could see away. "Don't cry," he told her. "I don't like to watch people cry."

The colors swam in her vision: purple, black, blue, green. As the first tears fell, she tottered from the teleport platform.The blinking tracker nagged her, like a repetitive poke, vying for her attention. She was close now, so close. Mushrooms glowed at her feet like lights on a runway, guiding her along a path lit with crystals. 

The Hydra bellowed, razor-sharp claw swiping across the man's torso. Her first friend, her very best friend, crumpled beneath the beast's hind legs. Somewhere, someone was screaming.

The building stood in silent majesty, nestled amongst the oversized foliage. Lights glowed in the upper window, and smoke rose from the stone chimney, spicing the air with a familiar, comforting aroma. Home. It smelled like home.

Bathed in cerulean light, she collapsed against his front door. Her hand, chapped and dirty from her fall, smacked at the hard wood with all the strength she had left.

"Hey," he asked as he watched the woman who appeared to have tripped clamber back to her feet and brush away dirt from her hands. "Are you alright? The first few steps are the hardest ones. I... I'm not very good at... people, but I do want to help."
"That would be lovely," she responded. Slipping her sword into its sheath, she put her hands on her hips, tilted her head, and gave him a wink. "Though I suppose I should know the name of the man so graciously willing to help me out before I accept his offer."
 "Alkor," he said finally. "It's Alkor."

"Bahr," she sobbed. "Please, Bahr. I need you."

A normal night, one like any other. Bahr sat nestled within his favorite armchair, a cup of steaming coffee clutched by its handle between his fingers. Swine Bajesus lay snoozing in a chair beside him, the pair enjoying the relaxing sizzling and popping of the inferno raging within the nearby fireplace. He was thumbing through a screen that hovered in front of him; recent events from around Aincrad, delivered by none other than Conciliator. It had been awhile since Bahr had had the opportunity to sit back and enjoy the comforts of his home, as opposed to using it as a pit stop to sleep and eat. Times like these were fleeting in a place like Aincrad, and he knew better than to squander them. Now more than ever.

But as he was perusing through the cliffnotes of the current Floor 25 exploration, the tiny pig stirred from its slumber, perking its ears as its tired eyes traced something that Bahr couldn't see. Was something moving outside? No sooner had Bahr had the thought than he heard labored pounding at his front door, followed by a desperate plea.

"Bahr... Please, Bahr. I need you."

Alyssa?

Bahr immediately dismissed the window and shot to his feet, clumsily spilling hot coffee all over the floor. In a swift, unmeasured motion, he slammed the cup onto the coffee table, spilling even more of it. He darted from the den and through the foyer toward his front door, rushing past the crimson jacket that rested on the coat hangar near the hickory edifice. A bit more controlled now, he opened the door, taking care not to displace the woman on the other side. Still, she spilled forward through the threshold as the door swung open, clinging to the floor on her hands and knees.

They'd been in a situation like this before, only reversed. The day they had met. Bahr had been an absolute mess, constituting little more than a helpless puddle on the floor. She'd approached him with the same gentle warmth that emanated from his fireplace. What was it that she had said?

"You're shocky. You should take a few deep breaths, and lie on your back."

She couldn't very well lie down here could she? No. There had to be more. What had pulled him back from the edge?

As her hand rose weakly toward Bahr, silently pleading for him to help her up, it all came back. She, a complete stranger, had brought him to his feet when he hadn't the strength to do it himself. She hadn't needed to do it. She probably shouldn't have done it, considering the reputation Bahr had. But she did anyways. And that simple, human action had changed the course of both of their lives forever.

So without skipping a beat, his hand found hers, and with a gentle tug, he pulled her up and into a warm embrace. She practically tackled Bahr, wrapping her arms tightly around his midsection and burying her face in his chest. Almost immediately, he felt water pooling against the thin fabric of the burnt orange shirt he was wearing, soaking through and saturating the skin beneath. Instinctively, his arms wrapped around her trembling frame, pulling her closer into the embrace as his mind raced. What else had she said?

"Just breathe. You can do it. Just try."

"Just breathe," he voiced quietly, congruent to hers as it played through his mind. "It's okay. I'm here. Just try."

She clung to him, a drowning woman holding a rock as the rapids beat and battered her. Wave upon wave of sorrow swept over her, overwhelming, and choking her with just as much efficiency as lungfuls of water. Lessa gasped against his chest, the sound strangled and pitiful, as she hugged him closer. He was murmuring something, soft and reassuring. What was it?

"I'm here to make sure she can survive. That's my goal."

"When we first met, I'd fallen, and was laughing at how realistic the grass was." Her throat burned, but she pressed on. "H-he - Alkor, I mean - he probably thought I was nuts, but he said hi to me anyway, and he said he was going to make it his mission to keep me alive. He wasn't going t-to, wasn't going to let me die." Despite the gasps and sobs that interrupted her speech, the words flowed wildly. There was no stopping them now, just as there was no stopping the memories.

"I'll be fine," he told her. There was no doubt in his mind that he was being honest. Alkor placed his hand on her head and ruffled her hair, steadily keeping his gaze on the city. "I told you, didn't I? Nothing to worry about."

"It's only going to get more dangerous. And we're going to keep getting stronger with it."

"This isn't even close to what waits on the front lines."

"He protected me. He was always there, he always took the hits for me. He di-di-didn't want me to get hurt." Her hands clenched at Bahr's back, grabbing fistfuls of fabric and tugging as she pressed herself closer.

"He removed me from his friends list about a month ago. And I-I thought he was dead," she finished, her voice returning to the monotone she was striving for. "I wanted to kill myself. I was going to." The memories flooded back, of her moment of insanity and the vision that changed her mind. She did not wish to share any of that with him, so she said simply, "but I stopped myself. And I was getting better. I was almost back to normal, until I ran into him again." The next words were spoken slowly, as if she had a difficult time putting voice to them. "Alkor is alive. After all this time, he's been alive." Her face twisted in pain as she screwed her eyes shut. "And I don't know what I did to cause this."

"He died," she stated, "he died, because of me, but then he came back, because he wasn't really dead. Then he really died, or I thought he did, and-and-" she gasped, teetering on the edge, her last thread of control slipping through her fingers. Her wail woke the banshee as she concluded, "I can't go through it again."

"When we first met, I'd fallen, and was laughing at how realistic the grass was."

When who first met?

"H-he - Alkor, I mean - he probably thought I was nuts, but he said hi to me anyway, and he said he was going to make it his mission to keep me alive. He wasn't going t-to, wasn't going to let me die."

Ah. Alkor.

Great.

So this is what it had come to. Bahr being used as a depository for her anguish regarding him. Alkor. Her true love. Out of the blue, she had arrived on Bahr's doorstep to yet again remind him that her attraction to him was circumstantial. That, had it not been for Alkor's passing, she would still be devoted to him. And even with him having passed, it seemed that certain parts of her still were, and would forever be.

And while this realization pulled Bahr's innards out, threw them onto the floor and stomped all over them, he did not move. Because Bahr was the only one there to collect her tears. Bahr was the rock keeping her upright. Bahr was the one force fighting back against all of it. 

So he remained, and held her. Closer and closer, against the frantic sobs. Because despite everything going on in his heart, things were even worse for hers.

"He protected me. He was always there, he always took the hits for me. He di-di-didn't want me to get hurt."

Whereas all Bahr had ever done was bring her to the brink of death.

"He died. He died, because of me, but then he came back, because he wasn't really dead. Then he really died, or I thought he did, and-and-" It was all coming to a head now. Bahr could feel the tension rising in her bunched up muscles as the cry escaped her lips. It was all pouring out now. "I can't go through it again."

"You won't have to. Not alone," he managed, holding her as closely as he could without squeezing out what little air she managed to take in. "Just breathe," he repeated, beginning to rub her back in a comforting manner. "I've got you."

She was faintly aware of Bahr's hand on her back, rubbing endless circles. It helped, focusing on the rhythmic motion, and the slight pressure of his touch against her shirt. It pulled her back from that ledge she had peered over the first time Alkor had died. And the second. Before, she had fought the battle alone. Now, she didn’t have to. If nothing else, that thought grounded her. As the thunder rolled, the clouds swirled, and the waves crashed, Bahr stood against it all.

“I’ve got you.”

“I need to- can I sit down?” Without waiting for the man’s answer, Lessa let herself go limp; she slipped through his arms and crumpled to the floor. Like a balloon with the air released, the ex-Frontliner and once-leader of the great Guardians of Aincrad deflated. Pulling her legs up to her chest, she wrapped her arms around them, and rested her chin atop her knees. Bahr had brought her back to earth, but the display of raw emotion left her exhausted. And seeing Alkor again? That made her feel hollow.

“He was supposed to protect me.” She heard herself speaking, lips moving before her brain could comprehend. These words did not come from her mind, they came from her heart. They stemmed from some dark place she’d buried so deep she’d forgotten about entirely. That was, until she’d seen his face. “He was supposed to keep me from getting hurt, and he hurt me worse than anything else could have. I don’t think that Hydra could have done more lasting damage, even if it had killed me.”

Her speech came slower now, and showed no hint of the earlier hysterics. They were the matter-of-fact statements of a woman who had finally come to accept her gruesome fate. “He’s going to hurt me again. He’s going to leave me again.” Before she’d stared at the point where Bahr’s jeans met his socks. But finally, she looked up at him. “You won’t, but he will.”

Before he knew what was happening, Lessa's frame lost all of its tension and fell, slipping between his arms and crumpling in on itself. She wrapped her arms around her knees and pulled them into her chest, deadpan eyes a hollow gray in comparison to their usual vibrant azure hue. It could have been a trick the darkness of the tenth floor was playing on him, but the light that had always been there was gone. She looked empty.

Slowly and carefully, Bahr squatted and sat himself alongside her in the open foyer. He didn't exactly know what to say, or if he should even say anything at all. As he looked at her, her eyes trailed down to where their feet were. They were distant, unfocused. It was like she wasn't even there. It was like her mind had skipped town and left her behind to pay rent.

"He’s going to hurt me again. He’s going to leave me again."

What?

"How could he-"

The realization of what was happening hit him all at once. It had struck him as odd that Lessa would break down out of the blue over a man who had been dead for years. This had felt like something more serious than that. He was alive. And maybe she had seen him, too. Bahr's face contorted as he tried to discern what this would mean for her. For them. He couldn't help but feel like everything was destined to fall apart, now. It had been one thing to swallow his pride and deal with it when she gushed about him on the heels of their first kisses. But this?

Lessa may as well have plunged her tongue through Bahr's heart and shoved him off a cliff.

"You won’t, but he will."

And just like that, her hand had clasped his as he flew over the edge. He looked back to her to see her eyes locked with his now. How could he ever articulate to her what he was feeling in that moment? He felt mentally drawn and quartered, being torn apart by far too many loyalties than could possibly live together in the same brain. Every contact leaves a trace. Everything and everyone we touch is changed in some way. The changes are just never what we anticipate. And this, Bahr had definitely not seen coming. The symphonic shriek of a thousand hiding voices was instantly silenced when he took a deep breath and spoke only six words.

"No. I will never leave you." The tone was quiet and firm all at once, his dual-toned orbs glued to her cerulean pools as he carefully enunciated each syllable. A half smile found its way to the front, muscling past the unease and pain that guarded the path. "You're stuck with me."

He scooted closer to her, hesitant to touch her at first with the state he was in. But in the end, he did it anyways. Gently cupping her had and guiding it to his shoulder. His fingers combed through her golden hair slowly, an absent-minded attempt to help put her at ease. "Even if he does hurt you again," Bahr started, "I'll be here. You'll have me."

Willingly resigning himself to the role of third wheel, a shoulder to cry on. He never thought he'd allow something like this to happen to him. But how could he refuse her in a state like this?

For a long time, they sat together on the floor of the foyer. Lessa's eyes remained closed, her damp face pressed to Bahr's shoulder. The gentle pull of his fingers through her hair was a constant, as were his kind words, and his mere presence. When did that happen? When had Bahr become her rock? They'd only known each other for a handful of months, and yet... Slowly, her hands moved to clasp his upper arm, where she simply held onto him. One more point of contact, one more connection to the man who had left such a mark on her. After Alkor, Lessa hadn't needed more, wanted more. And while she wasn't looking, she'd found Bahr. What a miracle that was. Once, she'd been so furious because he'd changed her plan. Now, it seemed, he was doing it again.

Finally, in a cracked whisper, Lessa spoke. "I was completely hysterical, but I knew I had to find you."

She pulled back to look at him through eyes red and puffy. Flyaway blonde hairs lay plastered to her flushed face, but she made no move to wipe them away. Instead, her attention was reserved solely for Bahr. In the dimness of the foyer, he was all shadows. Somehow, it softened him. He'd been such a force while they fought the Lich King - it had taken her by surprise, and even intimidated her. But in her time of need, he'd been there. He'd scooped her up, carried her to safety... and he'd taken the blows meant for her. Now here he was again, supporting her weight both literally and figuratively.

Alkor's death shattered Lessa into pieces. Over the years, she'd worked to put herself back together; she was strong enough to do so all by herself. She could do it alone. But with Bahr around, she didn't have to. "You were the only person I wanted to be with."

Slowly, something began to fill the hollow space the day's events had left behind. She wasn't entirely sure what the feeling was, but in the floor's alien light, it looked a bit like love.

"You were the only person I wanted to be with," she managed between labored breaths, stray hairs and red cheeks. Despite the mess that was her visage, Bahr still found a natural beauty in it, accentuated by the dull glow of the unique minerals and strange flora of the tenth floor. As his hand rose to clear the strands of gold that had attached themselves to the moisture riding her cheeks, eyes locked with hers, he could see it again. Feel it again. A connection that felt no less firm than a literal tether attaching them to one another. Pulling them closer toward one another. Or was that his hand cupped gently against the back of her neck that was drawing her closer?

He didn't have time to figure it out before their lips were pressed against one another. Softly, reassuringly. A physical manifestation of the connection he so desperately desired to feel, knowing that there was a chance it would be temporary. Fleeting. Odd timing, surely, given everything that was happening. But there was something about the way she had said what she had said, and looked at him the way that she had, that made him powerless to resist it. 

When the drawn out kiss was finally broken, Bahr rested his forehead against hers and allowed her scent to fill his nostrils. Enjoy the closeness. There was no telling when it would be the last time. Especially with Alkor's return. 

Slowly he stood, silently offering his hand to Lessa. When she accepted it, he hoisted her to her feet and reached past her shoulder to collect the bright red jacket that was affixed to the coat hangar there. "Let's get your mind off of this," he started as he slid his arms into the light armor, a slight smile gracing his lips. "How's a quest sound? Something laid back." He whistled, and, reluctantly, Swine Bajesus shambled down the hall to join the duo. "Bajesus, you're under strict orders to stay with Lessa and be as adorable as possible." At first it huffed, but inevitably gave a half-hearted salute and began rubbing its plump frame up against her ankle. "Good. No objections, then? Let's get going."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

FLOOR 3
Quest: Elvish Rivalries

They'd been to this same floor not terribly long ago. A completely different sort of endeavor that time, certainly. They'd infiltrated a guild with questionable motives, and found themselves unable to end the day on a satisfying note. Bahr wondered how often Lessa had thought of that day, because he had thought of it all the time. He found himself regretting how that scenario had played out, and the way they had butted heads over it. He could have afforded to be more flexible with his stance on the matter, but he'd chosen to be stubborn instead. And it had driven a rift between them.

Foolish, when he really thought about it.

"Guess all we need to do is chop up some tree creatures," he mused, eyes glued to the quest's map data. When he felt satisfied, he dismissed the window and cast his eyes toward Lessa. "Should be pretty easy, and it's not far from here, either. Ever taken the quest?"

"Hmm?" Lessa turned doe eyes on Bahr, her distant and somewhat dreamy expression betraying her. She'd not been entirely focused on him as they'd walked, but how could she be? The past few hours had been an absolute whirlwind, culminating in a kiss that she had never expected. A kiss the likes of which she hadn't experienced before him. They'd done it before, of course - beneath the mistletoe, and on the porch at Manderley. Those instances had been wonderful too, but the kiss on the floor of Bahr's foyer had been something different entirely. It had been sweet, a little sad, and had held more tenderness than she could have imagined him capable of. She wasn't even aware of the soft smile until it had bloomed fully across her still-tingling lips.

"Ah, no, I haven't taken it," she answered finally, long after his expectant gaze settled on her. "I remember seeing a lot of people talking about it, but I guess I never got around to it." One hand moved to call up her the quest details, while the other continued to hold Swine Bajesus against her chest. The petite porker was nestled in the crook of her arm, snoring faintly, each exhale tickling her skin. He was certainly following through on his promise to Bahr, cuddling up to her in a way that was absolutely irresistible. Lessa leaned down to plant a gentle kiss on the top of the pig's head, then returned her attention to the quest details.

She nodded in agreement. "No, it shouldn't be too tough. The soldiers look pretty straightforward, especially with our AoEs. Even the King should go down pretty quickly." For a moment, the only sounds were the crunch of grass underfoot, and the call of a bird in the distance. It seemed he was content to give her her silence, which she appreciated immensely. It helped, having the space to process everything as it came to her. But not too much space. He walked by her side every step of the way, and she was beginning to believe he would remain there. Yet another thing she could never properly thank him for.

"I guess I'm a little overpowered for this one, huh?" she asked sheepishly. "I really should have taken it back then, when it was more level appropriate. I just-" she dismissed the quest details, then swirled her hand in the air helplessly, "-uh, wasn't really focused on quests. I never really have been, but I know the experience is more than worth it. I have a lot of catching up to do."

Spoiler

Stats at the beginning of the quest.

Level: 41 | HP: 820 | Energy: 82 | Base DMG: 11 | Base MIT: 72 | Acc: 4 | Thorns: 2 | Heavy Momentum: 1 | Bleed: 1
2HSS [5] | Heavy Armor [3] | Protector Familiar [3] | Survival | Howl | Precision
Scarecrow’s Twin [+2 DMG/+1 BLD] | Rose Gauntlets [+2 Thorns/+1 HM] | Rosebud Charm [+3 ACC]

Housing
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down).
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests.
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.

Spoiler

STATS
LEVEL - 51
HP - 1050
EN - 102
DMG - 19
MIT - 79
ACC - 3
EVA - 4
FALLEN - 12
BLEED - 36

HOME BUFFS
» RESTED
      -1 EN FOR THE FIRST TWO TURNS OF COMBAT
» RELAXED
      +10 TO OUT OF COMBAT HP REGENERATION
      FULL ENERGY REGENERATION AFTER TWO POSTS OUT OF COMBAT

SKILLS

NON-COMBAT
» EXTENDED MOD LIMIT R1

PASSIVE
      ALLOWS FOR THE USE ONE 1 ADDITIONAL MOD

COMBAT SKILLS
» PARRY

POST ACTION
      REDUCE FINAL DAMAGE OF NEXT ATTACK AGAINST YOU BY 50% (ROUNDED DOWN) AND NEGATES STUN/PARALYSIS EFFECT OF THAT ATTACK
           COOLDOWN: 2 TURNS

EXTRA SKILLS
» DISGUISE

FREE ACTION
      +1 EVA UNTIL START OF YOUR NEXT TURN
           COOLDOWN: 3 TURNS
» 
MEDITATION

POST ACTION
      RECOVER AN ADDITIONAL 15 ENERGY - GETTING HIT BY AN ATTACK BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN REDUCES ADDITIONAL ENERGY RECOVERY TO 9

WEAPON SKILLS
» TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD R5

+7 DMG WHEN TWO-HANDED WEAPON IS EQUIPPED

ARMOR SKILLS
» LIGHT ARMOR R5

+25 MIT

MODS
» LIGHT ARMOR MOD: ATHLETICS

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
      +30 HP WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 LIGHT ARMOR MOD: SPRINT & ACROBATICS

PASSIVE
      +1 EVA WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 PARRY MOD: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE

POST ACTION: COMBINE WITH PARRY
      SUCCESSFUL PARRY STUNS OPPONENT
»
 WEAPON MOD: PRECISION

PASSIVE
      +1 ACC
»
 WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FEROCITY

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN USING 2HSS SWORD ARTS
» WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FINESSE R3

PASSIVE
      REDUCES THE EN COST OF TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD SWORD ARTS BY 3

EQUIPMENT

WEAPON
» [EQUIPPED] "DAWN'S DEMISE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T3 - DEMONIC)
     ➥ FALLEN 2
           +12 TO BASE DAMAGE ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 6-8
     ➥ PHASE
           IGNORES 50% OF MIT ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER
     ➥ BLEED 1
           36 DMG INFLICTED FOR 2 TURNS ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] "BLOODSTAINED COAT" - LIGHT ARMOR (T3 - DEMONIC)
      +54 MIT
      +1 EVA
      FIREPROOF

TRINKET
» [EQUIPPED] "EAGLE'S EYE" - TRINKET (T1 - DEMONIC)
      +2 EVA
      +2 ACC

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R3
     ➥ +9 DMG

"Hmm?"

She looked totally dumbstruck, a dreamy smile playing at her lips as her cerulean saucers peered into Bahr's. He wasn't entirely sure what had gotten into her, but it was certainly a lot better than seeing her broken down on the floor in his foyer. Literally anything was better than that. But seeing a smile on her face brought a smile back to his. Infectious, just like so many other things about her.

"Ah, no, I haven't taken it," she answered after a few moments, only barely stirred from her quixotic state. "I remember seeing a lot of people talking about it, but I guess I never got around to it." As she opened up the quest details, Bahr's eyes trailed to Swine Bajesus, who seemed perfectly comfortable nestled up against her bosom. The tiny pig had made itself at home there, snoozing along without a care in the world. And it was even snoring? In the end, Bahr current chagrin toward the creature boiled down to a bizarre jealousy, though he wouldn't admit that to himself.

"You don't have that much catching up to do," he beamed reassuringly, opening up his own quest log and adjusting the panel so that Lessa could see. "You're almost the same level as me, and you didn't even need to get all of these quests done to do it. I'm sure that with a little hard work and determination, you could fly past me in no time. I'm actually running out of quests do to at this poin-"

Snap!

Bahr's eyes instantly flickered to the source of the sound, dismissing the window as he slowly drew Dawn's Demise. He gave Lessa a knowing look, followed by a nod. It seemed they had found their prey.

The thing about tree monsters is that they blend in perfectly, much in the same way an agitated chameleon might. So when Bahr lurched forward and successfully landed a blow against two of them, he had no idea that there were two more waiting in the wings. As their brethren were reduced to puffs of polygonal azure mist, they stirred into action, orange eyes bearing down on the Crimson Marauder as their stiff frames creaked and groaned into life. Bahr was so surprised by the sudden revelation that he fell flat on his ass, scooting back just in time to avoid one of their wooden appendages as it cracked down against the ground in front of him.

"Oh that was totally not cool!" he spat as he scrambled to his feet, clutching Dawn's Demise as his eyes shot to Lessa. 

Oh. She had just seen that. Great.

Spoiler

Encounter: Treant Soldier 1
HP: 65
DMG: 15
MIT: 30

Encounter: Treant Soldier 2

Encounter: Treant Soldier 3

Encounter: Treant Soldier 4

Spoiler

[H: 2/2/0/0] Bahr: HP: 1050/1050 | EN: 102-12=90/102 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | FIREPROOF
[H: 0/0/0/0] Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 82/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Bahr used [x12 AoE] Calamity Disaster-9 EN

Treant Soldier 1: HP: 65-186=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132573 | BD: 10, Crit for 18x12=216-30=186 DMG | Treant Soldier 1 defeated | -2 EN
Treant Soldier 2: HP: 65-186=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132574 | BD: 10, Crit for 18x12=216-30=186 DMG | Treant Soldier 2 defeated | -2 EN
Treant Soldier 3: HP: 65/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132575 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: x
Treant Soldier 4: HP: 65/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132576 | BD: 2+3=5, Miss | MD: x
-12 ENERGY TOTAL ("RESTED" HOUSE BUFF REDUCES EN COST BY 1)

Though their enemies were comically weak, there was a flash of fear as Bahr went down. She supposed there always would be, given the high stakes of living in Aincrad. But once the initial panic passed, and the curtain of anxiety fell away, Lessa was treated to the sight of Bahr clambering to his feet. She couldn't stop the small smile from creeping up as the man in the red coat glanced her way. She ducked her head in a half-hearted attempt to hide the expression, but it was wildly unsuccessful. "Are you okay?" she called out, but good humor bubbled just below the surface. Recognizing she was effectively mocking his failure, the woman sucked in a breath.

"Sorry, I don't mean to laugh." Her assurance was genuine, but the aforementioned giggle still escaped. "I just, uh." She coughed into her fist, attempting to look nonchalant as she shifted Bajesus on her arm. The pig wiggled it's tiny body, nuzzling deeper against her chest, apparently uninterested in it's partner's peril. Ah, perfect. A way to change the subject.

Carefully, Lessa crouched and eased Swine Bajesus away from her. She gently placed him atop a clump of long grass, patting his head before straightening again. She turned, drew Scarecrow's Twin, and scoffed at Bahr. "Tch, your familiar doesn't seem very worried about you. I'm beginning to think it really does like me more."

The smile returned as she squared off against the remaining two treant soldiers. They were clearly agitated by the felling of their friends, but they didn't move very quickly. Because they were trees. 

She had plenty of time to prepare her attack, pumping energy and light into the massive sword before she lunged. With a flurry of strikes, she chopped them into figurative firewood. And as the pixels rained down around her, she turned her smile on Bahr. "Next?"

Spoiler

[H: 2/2/0/0] Bahr: HP: 1050/1050 | EN: 102-12=90/102 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | FIREPROOF
[H: 0/0/1/1Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 82-15=67/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Lessa used [x12 AoE] Calamity Disaster

Treant Soldier 3: HP: 65-117=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132628 | BD: 2 + 4 = 6, 11 x 12 = 132 - 30 = 102 DMG | Treant Soldier 3 defeated |
Treant Soldier 4: HP: 65-117=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132574 | BD: 8, 11 x 12 = 132 - 30 = 102 DMG | Treant Soldier 4 defeated | 
-15 ENERGY TOTAL ("RESTED" HOUSE BUFF REDUCES EN COST BY 1)

By the time she's turned around to face him, she'd find that he wore a mask of irritation. Deadpan eyes and frizzled hair, a twitching eyebrow, and lips curled downward into an embarrassed frown. Despite his chagrin, he had no comeback to anything she'd said.

"Yeah, well, uhm..." He straightened his posture and rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah. You're probably right. You can offer him certain things that I can't," he summarized coyly, giving her a wry grin. He had absolutely no problem moving right past his blunder from earlier. "Weird, though. I thought the quest detailed more of these-"

As the trees behind him began to groan, Bahr hastily poured energy into Dawn's Demise and spun haphazardly, clumsily swinging the blade and only barely managing to connect with both of the Treants accosting him. He lost his balance, however, and fell. Again. At the very least, this time he had managed to render their enemies to blue polygonal confetti beforehand.

He didn't even try to get up this time. He simply sat there, hands in his lap, head hung in shame. "Lessa... There's something I haven't told you yet," he started, before looking up at her earnestly. "I'm pretty sure my NerveGear needs to be recalibrated." It may have seemed like a joke, but his expression was dead serious. "This happens to me all the time. I've never been as clumsy anywhere as I have been in Aincrad."

Spoiler

[H: 1/1Bahr: HP: 1050/1050 | EN: 90/102 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | FIREPROOF
[H: 0/0Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 67/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Bahr used [x8 AoE Stun] Tempest-5 EN

Treant Soldier 5: HP: 65-98=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132638 | BD: 3+3=6, Hit for 16x8=128-30=98 DMG | Treant Soldier 5 defeated | -2 EN
Treant Soldier 6: HP: 65-98=0/65 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 30 | ID: 132639 | BD: 3+3=6, Hit for 16x8=128-30=98 DMG | Treant Soldier 6 defeated | -2 EN
-8 ENERGY TOTAL
 ("RESTED" HOUSE BUFF REDUCES EN COST BY 1)

The laughter sparked again, but this time, it died before passing her lips. This time, Bahr did not bounce back to his feet. Instead, he remained on the ground, his head hanging, his eyes down. Humor hastily stepped aside, allowing concern and sympathy to bustle forward. And when he finally glanced up at her, dual-toned eyes grabbing and holding onto hers, her heart jolted.

She closed the distance between them in just a few long strides, boots whispering softly through the long grass. She slowed to a stop just in front of him, and when she smiled down, the expression held all the warmth of the third floor's midday sun. Sure, the faulty calibration was a ridiculous notion, and likely just Bahr's way of covering his own clumsiness. Had he delivered the line with even a hint of amusement, she'd have happily ribbed him for it. In fact, it might have become a topic for reoccurring torment. But there was something in his face that gave her pause. 

Slowly, carefully, Lessa dropped to her knees so she and her companion were eye-level. She lay Scarecrow's Twin beside her, freeing her hands so she could take both of his. "Well, now I'm here," she informed him. "To follow you around, and pick you back up." There was a beat of silence, just long enough for embarrassment to nag at the back of Lessa's mind. Her smile turned sheepish, and she loosed a small, one-shouldered shrug. "That, uh, didn't sound so cheesy in my head."

Despite feeling utterly sorry for himself, Bahr couldn't help but crack a grin. "Yeah, that was pretty damn cheesy," he chortled, shifting his weight to rest on his palms behind his back. "Seems like you do that a lot with me. Might be your super power or something." His eyes broke from hers for a moment to survey the surrounding area. Though he didn't see any sign of sentient trees, he'd been caught off guard twice now. He felt impossibly tense. He knew that they posed no actual threat, but couldn't shake how uneasy the situation made him. The idea that they could be attacked at any moment, from any angle, was an unsettling one.

But with her there next to him, it wasn't so bad.

"I'm actually really glad I waited until you were with me to take this quest," he admitted on an exhale. "It's exhausting. I hate these sorts of stealthy mobs."

Snap!

Squirrel. It was just a squirrel. "God damn it..." he muttered as his expression soured toward the innocent woodland animal. "I'm all nerves."

"Mhmm," came her hum of agreement. "It's not an especially tough quest, but the waiting is the worst. And I hate suspense." She shifted in the grass, turning her body so she sat beside him, rather than in front of him. Part of her motivation was simply to mimic his position, leaning back on her elbows, crossing her brown boots at the ankle. It felt nice to stretch out, and sitting opposite Bahr as he did so felt strange. But it also afforded her the opportunity to sit closer to him. It was a matter of safety. And that's all it is, she tried to assure herself. 

"I love scary movies," she informed him after the squirrel had startled them both. "Seriously, I'm up for anything gory. My brothers and I got such a kick out of the old Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Streets. We actually all went as characters from 80's slashers one Halloween. I really wanted to be Jason, but Ben told me I wasn't big enough. So I went as Freddy. You couldn't even tell I was a girl when you shoved all my hair under the hat." Her eyes danced as she spoke, but once she fell silent, the light faded. The quick flash and burn left her feeling foolish, and a bit empty. Lessa leaned forward, plucked a blade of grass, twirled it between her fingers. "That was a weird thing to remember. I, uh, haven't thought of that in years. Even before Aincrad." She gave a half laugh that held very little humor, then added, "I was like eight years old."

Another rustle of leaves had the woman flinching, and she remained silent until she located the source of the noise - another squirrel. Were they part of the quest? she mused. Meant to drive us insane? "Anyway," she finished, "long story short, I love scary stuff. But I can't do any movie that really leans on suspense. It gets to me."

"Wait, wait, wait. Rewind a bit. You're telling me you were watching Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street as an eight year old?" A brow rose as he craned his head to the side to look at her, a grin tugging at the edges of his lips. "You're a little more hardcore than I thought. Were you watching Final Destination at nine or something?" he inquired wryly with a chuckle. 

Seeing the blade of grass between her fingers had Bahr absently fiddling with one of his own, his mind trailing back to his own time spent as a kid. Staying up late with his friends, watching all sorts of scary movies they had no business watching. 

"Come on, Apollo. You scared?"

"No way!"

"I think he is, Dante. Look at him. He's actually shaking a little."

"If you look out in the field, you might actually be able to find who asked you, Scarlet."

"Awww, we upset him. Does the baby need his binky?"

"Haha!"

"I'll kill you some day for that."

"Not if Freddy gets you first!"

A melancholy smile played at his lips as he recalled that evening, and how frustrated he had been with the two of them at the time. As much as he'd always hated Dante's teasing, it stung to realize that he would never hear it again. 

"You don't need to feel weird about sharing stuff like that with me," he said finally, looking at her again out of the corner of his eye. "I sorta like it. Hearing about your past, that is. I think it's cool when you open up to me about stuff like that."

Lessa scoffed playfully, rolling her eyes heavenward as Bahr questioned her upbringing. "Three older brothers, remember?" She shook her head, smiling despite the tremendous weight that missing them caused. "They were absolutely awful influences on me. Watching scary movies was harmless, compared to the trouble we got in." 

Though Bahr expressed he enjoyed having her share, Lessa found herself withdrawing a bit once her story was concluded. Something akin to sadness clouded her blue eyes as she deliberately looked away from him. Was it guilt? Regret? Frankly, Lessa wasn't even certain herself. But she'd gone many, many months without sparing her family a single thought. Realizing this left her with a creeping unease, and she flicked the now-tattered blade of grass away. 

Maybe it would help to talk about it?

I think it's cool when you open up to me about stuff like that.

"I used to think about them non-stop. All day, every day, and they were my motivation in everything I did. All I wanted to do was get home to them. And I-"

Suddenly, Lessa was tumbling. A sudden force had struck her like a fright train, throwing her a few feet, and sending her rolling. In a mad dash, she grabbed for Scarecrow's Twin, but all she managed was a blind swing. Between where Bahr sat and she lay sprawled, a Treant Commander now stood.

"Crap," Lessa choked, climbing to her feet. A glance at her health bar showed nothing missing, but she was still furious with herself. If they weren't dealing with tiny tree things, the situation could have been far more dire. I could be dead. "Bahr, I'm sorry," she called. "I didn't even see it."

Spoiler

[H: 0] Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 69/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

ID# 132914 results: Battle: 1 Craft: 3 Loot: 11 MOB: 6

Lessa used [x13] Calamity Destroyer, Misses - 1 EN 

Treant Commander: HP: 100 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 55 |

Bahr may have been the clumsy sort, but he hated watching Lessa get hit. Though her health bar remained unperturbed by the attack, its feeble might likely squished beneath her mitigation, Bahr still sprung to his feet with every bit as much enthusiasm as a spooked cricket. Dawn's Demise in hand, he lurched forward and cleaved a single, massive gash into the creature's back, sending its health bar from full to totally depleted in a matter of seconds. A moment later, and the monster was no more - glittering fractals slowly dissipating in the space where its chunky body once stood.

"Terrible. Just terrible," he mumbled as his blade found its sheath. "Er, not that you missed it. I missed it, too. This quest in general." He rubbed the back of his head as he approached his downed companion, offering a hand to help hoist her up. "Like you said, it's the suspense that kills me."

Once Lessa was back on her feet, Bahr took a cursory glance at the surrounding area. Predictably, there was nothing obviously threatening in sight. But the final mob was there, somewhere. Bahr could feel it. "What if we just ran through the forest and started attacking anything that resembled a tree?" he asked, totally serious. "We're bound to find what we're looking for eventually, right?"

Spoiler

[H: 1Bahr: HP: 1050/1050 | EN: 102-10=92/102 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | FIREPROOF
[H: 0Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 80/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-10 EN

Treant Commander: HP: 100-192=0/100 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 55 | ID: 132921 | BD: 3+3=6, Hit for 19x13=247-55=192 DMG | Treant Commander defeated

• 2 weeks later...

Lessa smiled weakly, a pitiful attempt at humor. "I grew up watching Ferngully," she informed him. "I freaking love trees. But right now, I'm seriously considering on taking you up on that offer." She stabbed Scarecrow's Twin into the soft earth, planted her hands on her hips, and turned a slow three-sixty. "I'd love to go full lumberjack on these trees if it means wrapping up this dang quest."

Her soft face sharpened into a scowl as she muttered, "No wonder I kept putting this one off."

Perhaps it was the in-game skills, aiding Lessa where she fell short. Or maybe she was just still on guard from being surprised before. But when the Treant King lumbered into their small clearing, the swordswoman wasn't caught with her pants down a second time.

In one fluid movement, Lessa moved into action, plucking Scarecrow's Twin from the ground. The sword hummed with color and power, and she felt the game's accuracy boosts adjust her blade's path. With a grunt, she hacked at the trunk like a crazed feller. 

Spoiler

[H: 1Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 68/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Lessa used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-13 EN

Treant King: HP: 150 - 68 = 82 | DMG: 25 | MIT: 75 | ID: 134103 | BD: 2 + 4 = 6. Hit. 13x11 = 143 - 75 = 68 DMG

Bahr had remained seated as Lessa stood, but scrambled to his feet as she took a swing at the... was that the King? Really? It didn't look that impressive. Despite this, Bahr's clumsiness had yet again managed to earn him a spot on the ground, face first, his legs sprawling upward before falling to the ground with a thick thud. A grunt followed as Bahr peeled his face from the earth, damp dirt and dust clinging to his visages as he spat. Some of it had gotten stuck in his teeth. No more kisses, I guess, he mumbled mentally before finally bringing himself to his feet.

By the time he had risen, she'd scored a decent chunk of damage against the monster. And despite the impressive girth of its branches, it was slow and clumsy. Lessa danced around its attacks nimbly, coming to a stop near Bahr. "I uh... slipped," he grumbled, tightening his hold on Dawn's Demise. "Again." Ruthlessly embarrassing.

"Looks like we'll be relying on your damage more than mine for this one. It's actually a little funny that this itty bitty quest is giving me so much trouble. Never thought I'd have a problem with trees."

Spoiler

[H: 0Bahr: HP: 1050/1050 | EN: 102-2=100/102 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | FLN: 12 | BLD: 36 | FIREPROOF
[H: 1Lessa: HP: 820/820 | EN: 69/82 | DMG: 11 | MIT: 72 | ACC: 4 | THNS: 36 | HM: 1 | BLD: 24

Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-2 EN FOR MISS

Treant Commander: HP: 82/100 | DMG: 25 | MIT: 55 | ID: 134107 | BD: 1, Miss | BD: 2, Miss