[SP-F3] <<Worn Out Welcome>> Proving my Strength

Things were going well for Ceres. She had levelled up considerably...gotten rid of that useless starter dagger in exchange for a sword that she crafted all by herself. Heck… she even made some friends. Ceres bought up her HUD display, smiling softly as she saw the two names on it. NIGHT, and Oscar. Both wonderful in their own right.

Ceres liked to keep in contact with others, and so she opened up her messenger.

To: @NIGHT
Subject: Wish Me Luck!
Hey NIGHT, I hope you’re doing well.
I’m about to do the Worn out Welcome quest, by myself! Wish me luck.
Oh...and I’m now a Merchant - I just haven’t opened a store yet.
Xxx
Ceres.

NIGHT did say she needed some time alone to sort out her own thoughts, and Ceres completely understood. Besides… right now...she wanted to learnto stand on her own two feet. It’s why she accepted this quest. It looked easy enough to complete on her own.

Besides...now….now she had a single rank in wielding a blade - that meant she could use a Sword Art - it meant she could deal more than the bare minimum damage.

“I can do this.”

STATS:

CERES
240HP 24 ENERGY

EQUIPPED
1H SWORD +1 DAM | PROMISE RING 1 ACC | LEATHER CHESTPLATE +1 EVA

BATTLE INVENTORY
4 STARTER HEALING POTIONS (50HP) | 1 TIER 1 OVERHEALTH POTION 50HP

“I can do this!”

Ceres repeated the affirmation with a nod as she slapped her cheeks. The quest was easy enough. She just had to visit Griswold, an fight a single elf. Easy? Right? Right!

Ceres walked the qauint cobblestone streets of the third floor; she really enjoyed it here. If she hadn’t promised Oscar that she’d build her shop on the first floor - she would have chosen either here or the seventh floor, even if it was filled with big sloping hills.

Okay... Here. She would have picked here.

The Amoursmith was on the main street in Delilah. Ceres pushed open the door, being greeted with a ringing of bells. Before her was a surely man behind a counter, and beside him - cleaning some plated armour - was someone she assumed to be his wife. “Uh, hello.” Ceres said with a wave.

Interacting with NPCs always felt so awkward. “I’m here for the quest, and I’d like to obtain some armour.”

Griswold laughed and reached out to wrap a burly arm around his wife. “Aye, you’ve come to the right place miss. I can craft you some of the finest armour this side of Delilah! But first…” He scratched at the whiskers on his chin. “What kind of armour would suit you? Are you wishing to specialize in light or heavy armour?”

Ceres blinked… she hadn’t really thought about it - she hadn’t even looked at the skills or differences between the two. The woman was honestly just going to keep it in her inventory till she was able to scrap it in her store. “UHm...Heavy armour.”   That is what a lot of the frontliners had, right?

Damn.... some Information broker she was… Ceres really needed to ger her head in the game. “Heavy Armour.” She repeated with more determination in her tone.

“Alright, Alright I heard you the first time.” Griswold chuckled. 

“Lets see… for Heavy Armour you will need some Dragon Bones….” Griswold began.

He paused an Ceres drew a breath and held it. Dragon Bones? She thought she had to fight an elf right? Not a dragon? Did she pick the wrong choice? Should she quickly change her mind and say she wanted light armour instead?”

“Miss? Did you hear me?”

“Eh?” Ceres said with a blink.

“I said You’ need some Dragon Bones - and a Dark Elf is holding them. He lives in the forest of Wavering Mists. If you defeat him and pick up the Dragon Bones I’ll craft you some mighty fine armour.” He chuckled. “Free of Charge since you’re getting the materials. Besides…” He paused and kissed his wife on the cheek. “I have all I could ever ask for, and more.”

Ceres exhalled, relieved. Good. No dragons would die today. More importantly ...she wouldn’t die today. The woman was confident she could defeat a Dark Elf - but a dragon? Not so much.

“Thanks Griswold. I’ll get back to you soon. Promise.” Ceres said with a nod of her head.

“Don’t Die now!” He called back out to her as she left the store.

It was such an innocent statement, but for this place it was a very real warning. Something that everyone here had to tell themselves everyday... just for taking a short stroll outside the city walls. Death could await anyone who was unprepared. Ceres... was realizing that a lot more lately - and because of that. She was begining to realize why Alkor had been oh so very harsh on her. Why he had gotten up into her face with literal pointed words as he practically shouted at her for her ignorance.

Ceres frowned as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I...really was ignorant..." Her footsteps carried her through the quaint town - past cobblestone houses and stores as she made her way through the town of Delilah.

“I actually… thought I could get away with not investing a single skill into weapons but…” Ceres shut her eyes, thinking of all the times NIGHT had protected her, the time Oscar literally stood in front of a shark attack… and how long it had taken her to defeat a swordfish in the beginner quests.

“I guess… we can never truly avoid fighting…” Ceres whispered.

The walk through the vast field of Delilah's were welcomed - Ceres walked in hues of yellows, purples, reds, and pinks - the flowery garden expanded far and wide around the entire city. It was really quite lovely. Ceres slowed her stead toward the forest. Her steps went wide as she kicked up at the flowers. Sending flurries of petals into the air.

She laughed softly as she watched them rain back down on her, this was nice. Maybe she should bring NIGHT here sometime? Or Oscar? Or… well - she didn’t have any other friends.

But hopefully that would change.

Heck...maybe if she tried hard enough her and Alkor would eventually make amends and become friends. Wouldn’t that be kinda nice? Or was she just being too hopeful. Not everyone in this world could get along and be merry. It was a very sad but true thought.

But - at least some friends were better than none. The stronger she would grow, the more opportunities she’d have.

“I’ll prove to him, and to everyone else I’m not as clueless as I seem.”

Ceres had never been to The Forest of Wavering Mists, and now that she stood on the precible of the vast woodland - she knew why. Before her were tall ancient trees, as far as the eye could see. They were thick - each ones trunk far rounder than she could ever imagine. Even the smallest one she would not be able to wrap her arms around.

“Wow…” She breathed as she stepped into the forest. The quest marker wasn’t that far into the forest...but… there were no clear paths. Even the map was covered in fog - it was difficult to see in front of her. In some places, it seemed like the mist was thicker… Ceres made a mental note to avoid those areas lest she be lost forever. Instead - she kept to what looked like a well travelled path. Here, the grass gave way to dirt.

Surely many other players had taken this path to complete this very same quest.

Dirt gave way to leaves which crunched beneath her feet. The forest was eerily quiet. Normally Ceres liked forests - because they were filled with the sounds of nature, teeming with life - but this? It was silent, not even her steps echoed.

Crunch...Crunch….Crunch…

Silently, slowly, she walked amidst the wavering mists - Ceres felt like the protagonist of a great adventure story… she supposed - many people felt that way in this place. Because here you went on quests to slay Dark Elves instead of driving to work - or staying up till 3am trying to meet a deadline for an article. Here - you could be a sword weilding adventurer, instead of a gaming journalist earning a living that was barely above minimum wage.

Still…

This place was not ideal.

Ceres’ footsteps stopped when she arrived at her destination. Before her stood a tall, dark elf with white hair.  A drow. It wore a long black cloak and growled at her - raising its own weapon - a wooden staff. It pointed it toward her.

“LEaVe”

Edited by Ceres

Ceres pulled out her weapon. This was the first time she would be using it. A long sword - weighted for just single handed combat. “Ok...Okay.. I can do this…” Ceres breathed.

A Sword Art...just like NIGHT had done… Ceres activated the only one available to her then ran toward the Dark Elf.

Ceres fumbled, not used to the weight of the sword in her hand - instead of a successful attack she tripped and fell flat on her face.

HEllo Darkness my old friend....

Ceres was becoming very, very acquainted with the floor in her recent travels - it reminded her why she really disliked fighting and battling in the first place - especially alone.

“YoU WeRe WarNed.” The Dark Elf hissed as he turned around and rose his staff above her head, ready to bash her head - “NoW yoU DiE.” He spoke in a broken, gravelly tone as he tried to strike down at her, but Ceres managed to roll out of the way just in time. The wooden staff hit nothing but dry earth.

CERES 240/240
21/24 Energy

ID#132398  BD 1 +1
FAIL
Snake Bite (3 Energy) - The user quickly strikes the target with three brisk angled slashes.
Base damage 3 x 3 = 9

Dark Elf  12/12 HP
DAMAGE PER ATTACK 9

ID#132398   MOB: 1-1
FAIL

hah

Edited by Ceres

“I’m not dying.” Ceres said as she pushed herself off the ground and shook the dried leaves from her body. “Nobody I know is going to.” She didn’t know why she was making such grandiose statements to the elf. Ceres knew all of 3 people in this world- and only two of them she could call friends.

Still..the thought of loosing them...loosing anyone...scared her - its why she didn’t want to make friends or get close to anyone on Aincrad but those friendships, she valued them more than anything right now.

Ceres gripped the hilt of the blade...the very blade she created tightly - then charged at the Dark Elf in an attempt to use another Sword Art.

The Dark Elf chuckled, then side-stepped her blow.

“WeAk. PatHetiC.” It said as it tried to strike her, but just as he side-stepped her blow - she darted away from his.

“I am not.”

CERES 240/240
18/24 Energy

ID#132398  BD 2 +1
FAIL
Snake Bite (3 Energy) - The user quickly strikes the target with three brisk angled slashes.
Base damage 3 x 3 = 9

Dark Elf  12/12 HP
DAMAGE PER ATTACK 9

ID#132398   MOB: 3-1
FAIL

Edited by Ceres

Ceres grit her teeth. She was not… Everyone had a use, right? No one could be considered useless...right? “Liar!” She said as again, Ceres ran forward, this time her stance was more confident, this time she wouldn’t close her eyes when the weapon would collide.

Activate the skill...Snake Bite...and... THERE

Strike after strike, her sword slashed - thrice in total as it collided with the Dark Elf. And with each strike she took a step forward and he took a step back. Each strike he cried out in frustration.

Why couldn’t the fights always be like this? Always in her favour? Or at the very least, where one party always hit?

BAM

Ceres had to take a few steps back as the Dark Elf  struck Ceres in her side with his wooden staff.

“YoU WiLl DiE AloNe.”

CERES 231/240
15/24 Energy

ID#1323400  BD 7 +1
HIT
Base damage 3 x 3 = 9

Dark Elf  3/12 HP
DAMAGE PER ATTACK 9

ID#132398   MOB: 7-1
HIT

Edited by Ceres

“W-what?” Ceres was taken aback by the Dark Elfs words. It….it was a mob right? Just a respawning field boss? So why… why did he glare at her like that with those dark orbs filled with hatred and vitriol as he spluttered those heartless words. She took a step back.

“N-no…” She wouldn’t die alone. She had NIGHT and she had Oscar… and back in the real world she had her co-workers and her mother - she wasn’t alone.

“It’Ll Be SoOn.” The Dark Elf laughed as he swung his weapon high up above his head and  slammed it into Ceres torso.

“Urgh…”

It didn[t hurt...nothing here did...but it still bothered her. It’s words really shook her. Why was it telling her she was going to die soon? She wasn’t. She was going to live. She was going to grow stronger- and create a safe and warm store for anyone to come into and rest…

She was going to bring solace to others.

“Screw you!”

CERES 223/240
12/24 Energy

ID#1323401  BD 7 +1
MISS
Base damage 3 x 3 = 9

Dark Elf  3/12 HP
DAMAGE PER ATTACK 9

ID#1323401   MOB: 8-1
HIT

Edited by Ceres

One more attack - one more sword art....and she’d have this - either way…. As long as Ceres hit the creature, he’d die. Ceres breathed out as she pushed disheveled bangs of red up and out of her eyes. One step, then two- then three.

Ceres pushed back against the Dark Elf as he laughed, chuckled maniacally - “Stop laughing!” Ceres feebly cried out - but he wouldn’t listen.

Dammit

Ceres quickly selected the ‘Snake Bite’ Sword art again and kicked forward, dipping in low she swung fast, three times against the Dark Elfs Torso - her eyes lit up when she watched its HP dip to zero.

But that wasn't the end of the fight - The Dark Elf, with the last of his strength - bought his wooden staff down onto Ceres’ head, causing her to fall to her knees.

“No OnE hEre CarEs…” He seethed, dark black eyes void of white staring at her from behind a tousled curtain of hair. He grinned wide, bearing sharpened teeth before bursting into shards of data.

What...the heck was that...

CERES 215/240
9/24 Energy

ID#1323402  BD 6 +1
HIT
Base damage 3 x 3 = 9

Dark Elf  0/12 HP
DAMAGE PER ATTACK 9

ID#1323401   MOB: 7-1
HIT

Edited by Ceres

Good...It was dead, and it left behind the item she needed…. The Dragon Bone Shards. Ceres quickly pocketed them before sliding down the trunk of a tree. “Why do I feel so tired?”

Cers decided to write a message to NIGHT, she was still a little shaky from the Dark Elfs words… NIGHT seemed to have done many quests before, maybe she had a similar experience?

To: NIGHT
Subject: did it!
Hey, I did it! Only missed a few times, I definately need something to help with my accuracy ^^;
Oh… btw - did you do this quest? Did the Dark Elf….ever say anything weird to you?”

Ceres sent the message and sighed softly. Still sitting on the floor of the forest - she’d move in just a moment...she just needed to rest for a few minutes. She had the item she needed. And the walk back would be uneventful if she kept to the path - so right now… Ceres just needed some time to herself.

Just a moment.

And she was hoping, that maybe, just Maybe - NIGHT would reply, tell her she was being silly and that the Dark Elf said those things to everyone.

NIGHT had responded almost immediately to Ceres’ message - it surprised the woman. She wasn’t expecting a reply at all, let alone one so fast. She knew NIGHT was busy - sorting things out on her end, and she seemed like a very busy person with multiple friendships. Ceres couldn’t just hang off of her the entire time.

To: Ceres
Subject: RE: did it!

i'll get smth in for you
no they didn't

we took them out b4 they could do anything
did something happen? Lmk
stay safe

Ceres sighed as she tilted her gaze upwards - you could barely see the sun here, the tall, thick trees had lush leaves that all but blotted out the sun, and any that did manage to leak through was subdued by the heavy mists that hung in the air. “Guess it’s just me then…” Ceres said to herself.

To: NIGHT
Subject: RE: did it!

Ah, not really - I just didn’t realize some mobs talked
It caught me off guard. We’ll catch up soon!
Take care.
X.

There was no need to bother NIGHT with what really happened. Not yet anyway.        

Ceres wasn't sure how much time had passed...

It was enough for her Energy to regenerate slowly, and for her health to begin to refill itself.

If the redheaded woman had any food she’d probably have sat there and eaten it calmly to make her feel better. Something just didn’t sit right with her… about how the Dark Elf cackled and spat in her face- metaphorically that is… about how she’d die alone.

Was that the fate of everyone in this world?

Was the hope of escaping nothing more than another lie?

“No!”

Ceres slapped her cheeks to snap herself out of her thoughts. “I can’t think like that. If I start thinking like that I’ll shut myself away again...and I can’t shut myself away anymore. I have people relying on me…”

Ceres stood and sheathed her blade.

“This was meant to make me stronger. Prove I can stand on my own. I can’t falter now.”

Through the mists a lone figure walked, parting the wisps with her stride. Brilliant lilac gaze, soft as a delicate flower yet fierce with determination. Red hair danced in unseen winds, leaving a trail of blaze in her wake. A determination that would not be quelled by venemous words spoken by evil beings.

Ceres would falter. She would fall.
But she would never stop.
She was too stubborn for that.

Not long ago Ceres was a lonely woman - barely doing anything to get by, if she could go back to the past, even by just a few weeks - and show herself everything she had achieved in such a short time… she’d probably have a heart attack.

“You’re okay Ceres. You were back then, and you are now. You’ll always be ok, and you’ll always keep going.”

When the woman was down she’d often talk to herself, give herself positive affirmations. It helped. Drown out the negative thoughts ebbing at your mind by screaming bloody positivity at it.

By the time she had left the forest, Ceres was wearing her usual quaint smile.

This quest wasn’t difficult… but it was a reminder of how much she disliked battling. Ceres was very certain she would put little into her weapons and more into being able to find things - trinkets, valuables, maps, and more to fill up her shop.

That’s right… she hadn’t quite set it up yet - nor had she really spoken to Oscar since then. THe walk back to Delilah would be quiet, and uneventful. Now that she was out of the misty forests Ceres could easily avoid the red dots that represented enemies on her map.

A slender hand opened up her HUD as she started to message one of her only friends within Aincrad.

To: @Oscar
Subject: Quest?
Hey,
Hope you’re feeling better. I just finished up a quest on my own, and it reminded me why I hate fighting - some of the thins the mob said...unnerved me and I could use the distraction.

Are you free to go on a quest with me later on?

He did say that she could message him for help, right?

Well… even if he hadn’t, the message was sent - the worst he could do was say no - and if he did say no Ceres would just have to wait for NIGHT to be free, or attempt to tackle it on her own.

Through the fields of flowers Ceres treked, once again choosing to kick up her feet with each step to send flurries of petals raining down and around her - if anything could cheer her up, dancing petals on the wind would definitely be one of them. Spring was one of her favourite seasons...aside from the bees. Ceres did not like bees. Ceres laughed as she held out her hand, watching a few settle into her palm before bursting into shards of data.

If you took out the battles, this world was absolutely beautiful. Ceres knew of people who preferred this place to the outside world - and a part of her could see why. When here you could be anything, and were tied down by very little - but out there… there was so much weight upon your shoulders.

Still…

This place wasn’t real…

The town of Delilah - which Ceres now began to walk through wasn’t real. The wooden door to the small shop wasn’t real - and the man who smiled and greeted her with a hearty wave.

He too, wasn’t real.

I want to go home

“Ah! Lass you’re back.” Griswold said with a grin. His wife wasn’t beside him, Ceres assumed she was off doing some menial task.

“Yup.”

Ceres approached his bench and took out the bone shards that the Dark Elf had dropped. “Here. You said you needed these to make me some heavy armour, right?”

Griswold laughed as he took the items. “Aye - that I did...the funny thing is...I found some after all...so…” He bent down and pulled out what looked like a pair of bracers and dropped them onto the bench, they landed with a heavy ‘thunk’

“Here’s some I prepared earlier.” Griswold said in bemusement. “I’ll use the bone shards to replace these. So please. Take them. You look like a gentle lass so they have damage mitigation on them.”

Ceres picked them up, and placed them in her inventory. “Oh, thanks.” She awkwardly held out her hand, at least this NPC wasn’t going to hiss at her and tell her terrible things.

Griswold shook her hand in a strong grip. “You take care now. Tell your friends to come by Griswold’s place if they find themselves a little lost.

“I sure will!” Ceres forced herself to say with a smile as she backed out of the shop. SHe was done with this quest. More skill points to bank…
More opportunities to put herself to work and make herself useful...