[PP-F21] A Forge By Any Other Name, Would Be Just As Warm

Oikawa's offer would still stand. After checking the contents of his chest, Shield had bid them adieu and was off in mere moments. The brunette internally echoed his sentiments however. He too wasn't sure how 'back' he was. He wanted to do more. Be more. But the task was more than just gaining levels and trying to give back to the community. It was his mindset, his emotions and the idea of knowing that what he did could never be undone. Is that something he could come 'back from' ? He wasn't sure. But he wanted to try.

His gaze then shifted the the ginger standing not too far from him. "Well Snowflower, if you are going to be on your way, I suppose I shall be too." With a small wave and a grin, he turned on his heels and began to make his way back to the manor. He wasn't too worried about her being able to make it home safe. She had a lot more experience in traversing these floors than he. However, he would be sure to message her later to ensure she made it home. He'd hate to have to hunt down yet another missing...

...friend.

It was a weird feeling. The thought had came to him so naturally, but felt different all the same. He did consider her a friend. But did she consider him one? He imagined it was trivial. They were good acquaintances at the least, and that was enough for him.

@Mari 

Shield was gone, off on another egg hunt no doubt. Leaving the two alone. Mari sighed as she stretched, arching her back with her arms high over her head. "I'm tired..." Mari muttered. She didn't want to venture all the way back to the fourth floor - not when she would no doubt be back up here at some point for a quest or more fishing. Her eyes shifted to Oikawa as he said her name, well... her nickname... Must he really call her that?  "Honestly - I plan to find a cave or somethin' either here or on the 22nd floor. I don't wanna go all the way back down to the fourth one." She admitted as her arms swung back down to rest casually at her side. "I'll probably just..." As she trailed off Mari shifted to sit on the ground. Her soft blue eyes shifted to the shimmering lights above. Shield did say this was meant to be a romantic hotspot but she had yet to see any couples here. 

Mari extended her arm, watching the soft lights dance over her pale and freckled skin. She turned her gaze back to Oikawa, but he already had his back turned to her. Oops. She watched the gentle billow of the cream coloured shawl he wore, it matched his darker skin tone. "See-ya." She said as  she turned her eyes back to the water. Mari'd shift somewhere more secluded soon and have a small nap.

@Oikawa

Baka. Stopping cold in his tracks, Oikawa palmed his face before turning around. What was he doing? Sure she was way more familiar with traveling between floors. Sure she was more than capable with dealing with most of the idiots that'd attempt to either hunt her or worse. But she was still alone. And he knew as well as the next person your thoughts were the most dangerous aspect of being by yourself. Stretching out his stride, Oikawa managed to make it back to their fishing spot in the matter of moments. Though he hadn't gotten very far to begin with.

As he approached, he spotted Mari. Arms outstretched, enjoying the glow of the cavern that cascaded down around her. Her cerulean eyes almost danced in the basking light. A sight to behold really. Glancing down, he cleared his throat. "Ahem. You know you don't have to sleep in a cave right?" The question wasn't quite rhetorical. The implication being that he had offered her his home for the night if need be. He wanted to repay her for her kindness at least.

"There's a cute snow leopard cub and tea awaiting. That's got to be better than trying to cozy up on the cavern floor no?"

@Mari

Mari wasn't expecting to see Oikawa again, at least not several minutes after he left, she was planning to spend some time alone, the recent talks with Shield bought up some less than favourable feelings and Mari felt like she would not be good company. "Huh?" She turned over her shoulder to glance at him, the glimmering lights were much clearer upon the cream of his cape. "Oikawa." Mari said with a small smile. "Miss me already?" She asked with the faintest of smiles. "Didn't think I was that good of a pillow."  She laughed softly as she tugged down on her scarf, slender fingers fiddling with the tattered material. Did he want to resume fishing? "If you want to fish again I can move o-" He interrupted her - offering her a place to stay. Right... he did mention his home was here somewhere, didn't he?

He told her she didn't need to sleep in a cave. His lips quirked up into a playful smile as he crossed his arms. Mari pushed herself off the floor, dusting her hands off on her scarf. "Inviting a woman to your house..." Mari mused, a part of her wanted to tease him for that - but she was tired. Very tired. "Tea sounds nice..." Mari said as she took a step forward toward him. "So, where is this little cub of yours, Oikawa?" Mari asked as she turned to glance up at him.

@Oikawa

His cheeks warmed. He wasn't often nervous about these kinds of things, so the feeling of his stomach leaving its place surprised him. Leaning against the faux wall, he uncrossed his arms and walked over to her. Squatting down, he offered her a hand and helped her up. But she instead pressed off the ground and dusted her hands. A playful yet tired tone took hold of her voice as she inquired about his familiar, King. The small cub no doubt napping near the furnace of the forge as they spoke. Gesturing to the direction he had just come from, he answered.

"The little guy is more than likely napping near the forge. His favorite spot being beneath my crafting table next tot he furnace." Taking up step beside her, Oikawa offered his arm. He wasn't sure why, but it felt normal if was to accompany her. "As for the tea, I only have green and sweetened." It was a little known fact that the brunette was a sucker for sweet tea. It wasn't something he had often in Tokyo, but back home, there was nearly always a pitcher at the ready in the fridge. "If you're all set, we can go. It's not too far from here."

@Mari

"Can you blame him?" Mari asked as they slowly began to walk. "Fire is warm, and comforting. Not just the heat, but everything about it - the sounds of the wood cracking, and the smell of it burning...Ah - I promise I'm not a Pyromaniac." Mari quickly added as she waved off her words. "I just - like those sorts of things. It's a shame in the real world I live somewhere so hot - and my apartment doesn't even have a fireplace. I told myself if I were ever able to afford a house, I'd get one with a fireplace."

Mari noticed him offer her his arm but she shook her head, trying to politely decline. That...was a little too close. "It's nothing against you." Mari said as she glanced up at him, Oikawa had averted his golden gaze - and whilst it was hard for her to tell, it looked like he was...blushing? Maybe she should have just accepted the gesture. She knew how hard it was to open up to others. Mari rubbed her arms, pursing her lips. 

"So, I never asked...where abouts is your house?" She inquired.

@Oikawa

Bringing his arm to his head, he laced his fingers behind it and and let out a small chuckle. "Its fine Mari. My apologies for making it ...erm...weird..heh." He wasn't sure how he was suppose to act around her. In a way it was weird. On the one hand he did find her nice to be around, pleasant to talk to, and a beauty to behold; but on the other hand, she like him, was secluded. An isolated person that was still navigating their own feelings understanding of themselves. He completely understood. And given her history, from the bits and pieces she had told him, there was strong sense of distrust among the people that she once loved or was close to. He couldn't blame her for the wall she had built, and he would respect that notion until she was okay with letting it down around him, even if only a little.

"So, I never asked...where abouts is your house?"

The question snapped him from his thoughts, giving him a reason to safely change the subject, both mentally and physically. "Hmm. Well it honestly sits not too far from the caverns we were just at. If you recall, just up ahead lies the <Underground Waterfalls>. Behind those waterfalls, is where I reside. The place has a nigh non-existent spawn rate for monsters and with it so close to home its almost a place of relaxation for getting out of the house." Stretching his arms out, he brought a hand to his ear. Cupping it, he gestured to the left. "If you listen closely, you can already hear the sounds of the crashing falls."

Straightening up, Oikawa continued. "As for the home itself. It is..umm.. rather large..." he admitted rather embarrassingly. "It's the only relic from my days in Azure. While it was all of my money, it was under the guise that I wanted to have something bigger and better than everyone else. So I bought the biggest home you could in this game. The outside remniscent of a modern Victorian home I suppose." The four story estate loomed in the distance. The windows mostly lit up, despite a lot of the rooms being incomplete as he hadn't filled them out yet. However, the forge on the lower level glowed a warmer orange color through the stained glass. Pointing it out, he glanced to Mari. "That's where you'll find my cub more than likely."

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

Oikawa apologized for making it 'weird' Mari didn't really see it that way, she thought it a strangely sweet gesture, just not one she felt she could accompany. She felt like she didn't really deserve that kind of warmth - and if she were being honest, she felt it an oddly intimate gesture for two people who were only just reconnecting. She had been burnt by those sort of gestures before, they never really came to her from a pure and genuine place. There was always a reason, a lie, or deceit behind it. Thankfully, Oikawa didn't push or question her.

"The Underground....Yeh..." Mari averted her gaze, of course it had to be bear there. Mari wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or if fate wanted to torture her. "Yeh I know them, meant to be a romantic hotspot of some sort. With all the glimmering lights and the crashing of the waves..." She trailed off, the last time she had been there - was with Shield and Baldur. That...had been a rather interesting outing.  "Do you get a lot of couples there?" Mari asked - although she was almost worried for the answer. 

The crashing of the waves drowned out her thoughts as they passed the falls; his 'house' was hard to miss. Four stories... Mari turned to him, and he quickly answered-knowing the startling question in her piercing blue gaze. "You know what they say about compensation right?" Mari asked. "Why you felt the need to buy something so big is..." Mari shook her head. "Sorry, I'm being rude, I'm sure its..." She paused.  Living in a big house...with no one around...what was the point in such grandeur if there was no one to share it with? 

"Oikawa.." Mari began quietly as her hand rose up to tug at her scarf. "Doesn't living by yourself in a place that big get lonely?" Her eyes traveled along the line of where he pointed.

@Oikawa

Oikawa waved his hand in dismissal of her tease. "No need to apologize. The only thing I was compensating...was lack of friends." His eyes lowered. The estate would've been large enough for himself, Kotori, Teayre and Calrex should they so choose and still have guest rooms available for other friends. This was his home inside this hell they lived in and it sadly never became such aside from being his own. Shaking his thoughts, he turned back to Mari. "It wasn't meant to be lonely," he stated. The saddened undertone in his voice leaking out. "It was one that was suppose to house myself, Kotori, Teayre, and Calrex if they didn't want to own a home of their own."

The gate lining the house neared with each word they spoke. The barren cavern floor preceding the door was lined with stalagmites arranged in formation akin to rapiers on either side. As the approached the gate, he gently pushed them open. With a slight bow, he gestured to the front door and continued. "Welcome to Seijuro Manor." The greeting was silly to say the least but it needed to memorable for him as Mari would be the first person inside his home aside from himself and King. Holding out his hand, he offered to take her scarf before motioning to the staircase on the right side of the front door leading to the forge.

"To answer your question, it does get lonely. Without King, I'd surely have lost it by now. Though I guess it's arguable that I may already have." Walking up the cobblestone-lined wooden steps, Oikawa waited for Mari to catch up before opening the door. "Just a warning, its a little warm." Pushing through door, smell crackling log fire filled the air. Armors and weapons lined the room on both sides while a cushioned bench and matching chairs sat against the back of the room. Near the center and left side sat a furnace. The stone oven serving as both his forge and his fireplace. Embers danced in the mouth of it, illuminating the walls with their shadows as they stepped. Lighting a few lamps, Oikawa patted the bench for Mari to sit at. Glancing around, a puzzled look crossed his face as he was unable to locate his familiar King.

But as fate would have, the tiny cub stalked Mari from behind, before pouncing into her lap and curling up. Grey fur speckled with black dots was a rather normal combination for snow leopards but given he was the only the brunette had seen thus far, it felt unique to him. A small grin flashed as Oikawa went to find the tea kettle. "Well good news is, he likes you. The bad news is, I may have just lost my familiar."

@Mari

The joke was meant to lighten the mood, since compensation - tended to be a bit of a joke. Especially when it came to owning things that far outweighed your needs. But Oikawa's comment made Mari regret the ill timed joke. Lack of friends? Damn...what was she supposed to say to that? "I uh." She loosened her scarf, she didn't need it now they were inside - despite the cavernous entrance - it was well heated. "You know you have friends now, right?" Mari offered. "I'd imagine at least myself and Shield in any case. And when I get you and Macradon together I know you'll get along like a house on fire." She gave him a reassuring smile. "So it may be lonely now, but it won't be much longer." 

Mari's eyes didn't know where to travel, she felt like the inside of the house was...absolutely massive. She felt smaller just standing here. "I don't think you've lost it, not yet." She said, clearly distracted by the sheer vastness of the entrance. "This...this is the entrance? Just the entrance? I'm kinda worried about how big the rest of the house is...Oikawa - I could fit like 3 of my entire houses in this room alone!"  She sat  down on the bench he gestured toward, a little worried she'd break something just by looking at it.

Mari gently began to scratch behind the young cub's ears. It was...surreal - to feel how warm and soft its fur was. "You know, I never went with a familiar like this - because I was always worried I'd become attached - and lose it when everyone gets out."

@Oikawa

Locating the kettle, Oikawa's expression softened as Mari reassured him he did have friends. He should have articulated his thoughts a little more though. He had friends, but the family aspect of that friendship is more so what he was compensating for. This estate was way to large for a person. Not by themselves at least. It was supposed to represent a guild hall in functionality, and a home in feeling. A place where all his friends could be or stay if they needed or wanted to. A haven of sorts. But now the hollow mansion served little more than a Col sink and a place to craft his now mostly useless wares.

When was the last time he had crafted?

The thought disappeared almost as fast as it had arrived. The brunette filled the kettle with warm water. Placing it on a plate of sorts before sitting it in the upper part of the furnace. While generally for aesthetic as they tea would be whatever he selected it to be, Oikawa asked Mari her preference.

"Anything in particular you want?" The question catching her mid-scratch as she nuzzled the cub. Nodding in agreement, Oikawa watched the embers dance.

King nuzzled deeper into the girls lap. His soft breathing nearly matching hers as she continued to run her fingers through his fur. For a familiar of the damage variety, he was very docile in most circumstances.

"If I'm being honest I never once thought of it that way. That one day I'd have to leave him behind. He's become family and losing him would leave an empty feeling no doubt." Rolling his head from side-to-side, Oikawa shifted his gaze to Mari. "What about you? You have a familiar as well don't you?"

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

The forge was warm, and the smells of smoke, fire, steel and iron permeated through the air. It was an oddly pleasant smell for Mari. She watched as Oikawa's expression softened. Leaning back in the chair Mari smiled. "You should relax more often. It suits you." Mari held up the small cubs paws, "Doesn't it?" She added in a baby tone, imitating his familiars voice. "King says relaxed laps are best laps." She added with another wriggle of his paws. King didn't seem too fussed he just yawned and twisted his body out of her grip so he could rest back in her lap. Mari picked him up again and kicked off her shoes, repositioning herself so her knees were beneath her, up on the chair.

"This place is warm." Mari said as she let her eyes shift around the room. "Not stiflingly so - really...it's amazing how much stuff you have here."

Her attention was shifted back to him when he asked her a few questions. "O-oh. Uhm, whatever you have is fine - and yeh. I have a Koi fish named Kohaku." Mari caught his gaze lingering on her, and wondered if she looked ok.  Was she being overly comfortable? Sinking into the large chair, legs beneath her as his familiar rolled all over her? Mari probably looked an awful mess. She cleared her throat. "It's a damage familiar." She added.

@Oikawa

Edited by Mari

The kettle heated. The whistling noise filling the air as they conversed. He settled on green tea. A favorite of his, reminding him of home. He wore a grin. A result of Mari's interaction with King as she urged him to relax. She wasn't wrong. He needed to settle down. Take in the moment and let his mind rest. But she knew as well as he did. their minds could never be at ease. At least not completely. He then sighed. Taking a calming exhale and sitting down across from her as she made herself comfortable; a reassuring sign in itself. His gaze lingered a little too long however, as she cleared her throat. Glancing away, he chuckled while pouring her a cup of the tea and passed it to her.

"A koi fish. Interesting choice and not expected to say the least. Though, even more surprising is that its a damage familiar." He tried to imagine the fish leaping out of the bowl to assist her in combat. The idea causing him to stifle a small laugh. "I'd love to meet Kohaku next time," he managed in between sips of the bittersweet liquid.

Searching her eyes, he reflected on the last time they accompanied each other. "So how are you holding up?" He brought both hands to his mug, cupping it out of comfort. She looked tired. Not in a bad way. Just insanely tired. When was the last time she slept well? He wondered if either of them really got good sleep these days. As much as he needed to relax, he could say the same for her as well.

"When was the last time you got decent rest Mari?"

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

"I loved watching Koi fish - and it's something I knew I wouldn't be attached to when everyone else gets out the game." Mari said as she gently pat King's head. Her eyes follow Oikawa around the room as he placed the cup of tea in front of her. Mari then shifted her gaze to that; watching the steam gently waft up into the air. "I store it in my blade - so if you ever see wisps of orange coming from my blade - that's when it's boosted  by Kohaku."  She reached out and picked up the cup, blowing on it gently before taking a sip. The green tea was sweetened a little more than she would have liked but it still tasted nice. "Thanks, its nice." Mari said as she placed it back down on the table. 

Oikawa asked how Mari was holding up, she could feel his gaze on her - strong unwavering golden eyes boring into her. Mari didn't answer straight away, she didn't know how to answer.
"I'm...tired." She admitted. "I don't know what has spurred it - but I have an influx of people coming to me for aid and help - and...I'd never turn anyone away - I just feel a little overwhelmed." She looked up at him, realizing he was one of those people - Mari quickly added. "N-not that I mean you - I just mean...overall." Mari sighed as she lowered her gaze to the snowy cub in her lap. "I just wanna do all I can to help those people - I don't...I don't want anyone to end up like me. Lost and alone and feeling like the world was against them. Lashing out at everyone, being cold...it tore me up inside and I can't have others do that too."

"When was the last time you got decent rest Mari?"

Mari slowly looked back up at Oikawa and shrugged. She knew when - but she wasn't  going to say. Because it was too painful, knowing the only time she slept well was when someone was lying about their feelings for her. "A long time." Mari said quietly as she looked back down to King. "A very long time."

@Oikawa

Her words were faint. The feeling of exhaustion lingering on every syllable. He was right. She was tired. The source of her exhaustion being the newfound stress she had come to put on herself. The need to shoulder the burdens of others alongside them was a trait he found most often in mothers. Being she was one, the thought made sense. His mind worked through her words. She didn't want to cast blame. She wouldn't be one to turn others away and she knew that, her body however disagreed entirely. She didn't want others to feel the same as she, a feeling that Oikawa was familiar with in a sense. His gaze remained unwavering however. He realized that she wanted what was best for everyone and even when she was feeling to be at her limit, she continued to give.

Placing his own cup down, he kneeled down grabbed one of her hands in his own. "You're heart is kind Mari. And you still don't give yourself enough credit nor the rest and relaxation you deserve. And more than anything thank you." He was aware the sudden gesture could make her uncomfortable, but he kept his grip soft as if to let her know if she pulled away he understood.

Giving the lazy kitten a stroke, the brunette re-seated himself. His hand finding the underside of his chin and serving as a prop for the weight of his head. He wondered. The thought semi-fleeting and semi-serious all the same. His gaze quickly averted to the door behind them leading to the main hallway. Lazily his other hand lifted and pointed in that general direction but his tone remained firm and warm as he spoke. "Well I might not be able to solve that problem completely, but the master bedroom has potentially the most comfortable bed I've ever laid in. The sheets are fresh and much like the rest of the house, has the faint smell of burnt wood to it. And the room is yours for the night."

The offer was less so an offer and more so a statement. If nothing else, she would at least sleep comfortably tonight. He couldn't alleviate her worries not the thoughts that ran rampant inside, he could however sympathize that sometimes you just needed to clear your head in a comfortable bed. If only it could always be that simple.

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

Oikawa stared at her for a few moments, each one longer than the last - his golden gaze never wavered. But Mari's did, hers shifted down to King as she rubbed the shell of his ear. Doing her best to not feel that gaze on her. She heard him put down his cup and move, suddenly, she found her small hands wrapped up in his. She could feel the hard callous' of his fingers - signs of a hard worker, just how many days did he spend at his forge? "I...I don't really have time to rest. I can't rest. Suddenly...there are all these people who depend on me...Me of all people. Who am I to deny them? What right do I have to stop and rest when so many are suffering? Many because of my past actions?" Mari admitted as she went to pull her hands away but stopped at those next words.

"And more than anything thank you."

For what?

"For what?" Mari asked. She rubbed her hands as she shifted her gaze to the crackling roar of the fire. "There is nothing to thank me for. I'm just...trying to right many wrongdoings and..." She stoppped when he offered her what sounded like his bed.

"W-What..." was he....was....what? If Mari's face wasn't red before, it certainly was now. Was he insisting that she sleep in the master bedroom? His bedroom? "...Uhm..." Mari shifted, enough so that King finally yawned and jumped down from her lap. "O-Oikawa....are you..." She was trying to place her thoughts as she said them, trying to make sense of it all. How he tightly gripped her hand, how he was so close to her - and now this?

"D-Do you like me? Is that - I mean..." She glanced to the direction he pointed then back to him. It couldn't possibly be that. They barely knew each other, then again neither did she or Baldur. But - so why was he asking such things? "Oikawa, are you asking me to sleep with you?"

@Oikawa

If there was one thing the brunette had come to realize about Mari, it is that taking compliments and praise had become increasingly difficult for her. What Oikawa had assumed was a simple thanks that could be received, Mari perceived it as undue praise for something she felt she needed to do. This feeling, at least in this particular instance, had her so wrapped up in explaining herself that his suggestion caught her by complete surprise. Her voice trailed off as she processed what he had said. At first disbelief, then confusion, followed by more disbelief. The expression on her face filling with a rose tint as she stammered out what sounded like a question.

Oikawa, initially still seated, rose again. He wore the usual half-cocky grin as he closed the distance between them again. King promptly taking the brunette's spot as he curled back up for a snooze. Oikawa could piece together what she was trying to imply and while he entertained the thought, this wasn't the time to chase feelings he wasn't sure were mutual especially with what he could assume about Mari's preference for Baldur.

As she finally managed to stammer out a full question, Oikawa nodded to her first question but also clarified on her following one. "While I do fancy you," his own cheeks taking on a reddish tint, "I figure taking you out a few times and getting to know you more would be more in order before asking to bed you," he explained with a more softened expression. "I assure you my intent was just to give you a nice place to sleep tonight." Pointing to the chair the cub now occupied, Oikawa continued. "I was just going to camp out here as I've done plenty of times before to give you privacy and some peace and quiet."

Shuffling back to the chair, Oikawa lifted the cub from it, seated himself, and let King nuzzle into his own lap. "That said, you don't really have much an option. As much as you love the cold, the caves on this floor offer no warmth or Kotatsu to sleep comfortably and I owe you a sleepover for my intrusion last week," he reasoned with a grin.

Oikawa didn't want to give Mari the wrong idea, even if he was interested. They barely knew each other and to say he was in love was hard to say. He did however care about her more than he let on. Maybe it was a matter of circumstance? Maybe it was the vulnerability they had around one another? Maybe he genuinely wanted more for her than he wanted to admit? His mind swirled. The thoughts would have to subside for the night however.

The only important thing was that she was safe and sound, even if it was just for tonight.

@Mari

Stupid.
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Why did she ask him such an outlandish question? She was frazzled, and had misinterpreted his gestures along with the question. Of course he didn't like her - no one did. Mari closed her eyes, thinking back to Life.

You're so debased and tarnished even Alkor wouldn't touch you.

Mari never believed the words back then, but things had a way of adding up. Finding out Alkor lied. Her ex husband cheating on her... Sure she had confessed to Baldur she found him attractive and nice to be around, but Mari had left before she got an answer or reaction, out of fear that it'd have been disgust or disappointment. Never once, in a million years would she ever expect reciprocation. And never, ever...would she have expected another to just blatantly say that they fancied her. Mari gripped her scarf, balling it into her hands. She rose her head and opened her mouth to apologize but stopped when he rose with a lop sided smirk. He walked around the table and towered over her in two long strides. Did he just...nod? Did he - wait.

"Huh?" Mari was clearly confused. Did he just say he fancied her? Mari felt very small in that moment, he practically towered over her - and there was nowhere for her to run. She felt a strange sensation in the pit of her stomach, and it felt like there was a lump in her throat. Mari swallowed. He had to be lying. This was just a joke of his.  "P-please don't joke about that." Mari said as she lifted her gaze to meet his amber eyes, they burned with a ferocity that threatened to overwhelm her.

"I'm not." 

Came his simple and calm reply. "B-why?" Mari asked quietly. She wasn't attractive. She was small, she had wide hips and she was tired and pale. Mari shifted uncomfortably in the seat as she shifted her eyes away. Not only that, she wasn't exactly the best person either. She had taken so many lives, she was easily flustered and frustrated - her life was in shambles. How was she meant to process this?  She wanted to run away and hide. But that - that wasn't possible right now.

"Oikawa I don't-" 

How do you tell someone you don't feel that way about them?

"I'm sorry I don't really..." Her eyes lowered to her lap as she began to pick at her fingernails. "I'm not good with this sort of thing." She said after a moment of silence. "I don't know what I feel half the time. But - I do know I value you as a person."

He chuckled, a warm laughter that made her feel a little less tense as he made a comment about wanting to take her out a few times, Mari was about ready to tell him that, although she didn't feel the same way - dinner would be nice. As friends. But - then he made a comment about....

"C-Can you even do that in Aincrad!?" Mari spluttered as she covered her mouth in embarrassment. She was an adult, the act of 'bedding' someone or lust was not lost on her - but - she didn't stop to consider that such things were possible in Aincrad. Where they? Did it feel the same as...? Mari coughed - best not to dwell on the answer.

"I- I should probably get going though - really. I'm fine. I'm used to sleeping in caves."  Mari shifted to move out of her seat. "You've been really nice to me - and - this doesn't have anything to do with your uh-confession or anything. I'm just...I don't want to put you out. I doubt I'd get much sleep, and if I do - I kinda wake up screaming....I don't wanna do that to you."

@Oikawa

Edited by Mari

Predicted.

The words stumbled out. Confused. Her expressions less so. Though it was to be expected. She reacted the way the brunette thought she would and as such, he was prepared for what was being attempted to be said.

"Oikawa I don't-" 

The sentence wasn't complete. But he could fill in the blanks. She didn't feel the same. Why would she? They weren't close. They hadn't spent a lot of time together. He would venture to say they enjoyed each other's company but even in that perhaps it was too much. Well at least he enjoyed her company, he shouldn't assume the same for her. After all, he was one of the people that added to her baggage. Another player that sought her out for their own reasons. He didn't reach out to her in her time of need, yet came to her in his. His thoughts lingered back to to the matter of circumstance. No, that wasn't it. He did care. The ginger-haired lass was more than just her advice. She was a beacon in the dark for others, even when she didn't shine for herself. A blessing and a curse.

His thoughts wavered. Her eyes wouldn't meet his. Instead they looked down as she began to pick at her nails.

Discomfort, he thought. "I don't know what I feel half the time. But - I do know I value you as a person."

He valued her as well. As both a friend and a person he could look to for guidance in himself. But he knew that was a nice way of saying she didn't see him that way and that was okay. His expression remained the same. His signature half-grin showing itself as she tried to let him down easy.

The feeling was even easier to uphold as she questioned whether they could 'bed' in this game. He wasn't sure himself but had heard rumors nonetheless But rather than entertain her question, more than likely rhetorical to begin with, he simply suppressed the urge to add to the awkwardness and instead rose up as she mentioned heading out.

Was I too forward? No she said it wasn't that, but it could've just as easily been that. And put me out, surely she wasn't serious. This house is massive. I could literally place another 5 master bedrooms through out it. You sleeping there wouldn't put me outhe thought.

"Mari," he said as his golden orbs found her cerulean ones. "You have been beyond kind to me. My 'confession' was truth, but it does not define or alter my friendship with you. I felt it right to tell you and get it off my chest, whether your reciprocated the feelings or not. That being said, as your friend and fellow loner, you don't need or have to sleep in a cave. If you have night terrors I understand. You've been through a lot. You've done a lot. You're tired. I'm not in the least bit bothered by possible screams. I'm here for YOU as a friend. As some one you can trust and be around when things get tough to bear on your own. If you need some one to talk it through, I'm here. If you want your space and need to cry it out, I'm out here and the room is there. I'm here for you and I care about you. So don't subject yourself to unnecessary consideration on my behalf. It is truly no bother at all for you to stay here. Even if you can't sleep, just rest."

He had said a lot and perhaps some of it went in one ear and out the other, either way he wanted to make it perfectly clear he wanted nothing more than to be her friend first and that he cared about her well-being over everything else.

"I can't stop you from going, but consider it please. It is really the least I could do to repay for what you've done for me."

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

He was still smiling, even as she mumbled her way through a messy apology. Why? Why was he still standing there with his signature lop-sided grin? Shouldn't he hate her? Shouldn't he want to throw her out? Didn't she just upset him? Mari knew that everyone had feelings that were not always visible - she couldn't begin to understand what was behind that warm smile nor those twinkling eyes. Her chest felt constricted, twisted. Mari wanted to be honest - she didn't see him that way, but perhaps she was too honest? Too quick to shoot him down. At least he had the confidence and courage to face her.

What did Mari do when she confessed to Baldur? Run away. And she still didn't have an answer- one she knew would probably mirror the one she had given Oikawa. How could he stand there? Unwavering? it was equally painful and admirable to see. As her wavering eyes finally met his - and felt trapped. Unable to move her eyes away she felt his smile widen - as it extended to the corners of his eyes. He spoke her name.

His words were beyond the kindness Mari felt she deserved. "I'm - It's good you got it off your chest." Mari began ,her words wisps of breathlessness that fell from her lips like powdered snow. He was probably the only person who saw how tired she was lately, who saw past her brave smiles and resilient stride. Still hearing it from his lips, hearing the words 'you're tired' they felt like a delicately balanced knife that was thrust into her chest. She didn't want to be. She didn't want to be tired, but she was. She was so exhausted.

She wanted to trust him. Someone who could share the weights that bore so heavily down on her, but she couldn't. Not when he came to her. Not when he needed her. Mari vowed that she'd continue. She'd give everything she had. Even if that left her with nothing. Her eyes finally gained the strength to pull away from his, eying the door. It'd be better for her to leave,right? Right?

But. 
That would just be running away again, wouldn't it? "Okay." Mari said quietly. "I'll stay." But just for tonight.  She knew she probably wouldn't sleep. Rest, she wasn't sure she'd have that either - but at least she'd be warm. Mari offered Oikawa a small smile. She wasn't sure what to say to all the words he had said. The confessions of attraction, the admittance of friendship. Seeing things in her she never saw in her own reflection. "But where would you stay?" She asked. 

Mari knew she hadn't given Oikawa much to work with, she hadn't said much, she barely reacted. Mari didn't know how to.

@Oikawa