[PP|F5] <<Bloodstained Land>>

Chelsea had visited the last few floors going up from the Floor 1 to Floor 10 where she was going to stop. She didn't want to get too high up just yet, still being a pretty low level. A floor that was pretty much filled with nothing but sand. Yay. Floor four was already freezing as [censored] and now she had to endure hot winds and coarse sand? She was starting to miss Japan and Indiana because of these floors.

She wanted to just move on to the next floor because this floor was kind of hot and she could feel stand starting to get in her shoes, but it was best she get familiar with the game as much as she could. With luck she could make a round around the safe zone and just move on to the next. 

Walking through the city, she kept to herself and made note of any potential landmarks. Whilst walking, she was so indulged in her own thought that she didn't even see the tower of a man in front of her. The heavily clad man had his back turned, so she plowed right into his back and landed ass-first in the sand. "Ugh...Again... How do I keep running into people like this?" She asked herself while soothing her back end and adjusting her skirt so no one saw anything they didn't need to.

@Shield

Spoiler

General
Level: 1 | HP:  20/20 | Energy: 2/2

Stats
DMG: 1 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 0 | LD 3 | Rec 1

Skills
First Aid | R1+1

Equipment(In use)
Butterfly Headphones: LD 3
Gaea Foundation: Expertise/Recovery
Vanity Light Armor

Shield had expected a lot of things that day. He had expected to spend a considerable amount of it grinding for loot and levels. He had expected to get himself another Terra Firma scale. He had expected to perhaps even spend what was left of his Chocolate Eggs. The sudden thump from behind as he stood in the dead center of Forteliza was not one of those things. Shield glanced back over his shoulder and spotted an unfamiliar face looking up at him from the ground. "Are you okay?" he asked, turning around and offering a hand up. "I can't say I've seen your face up here before. You in a hurry somewhere?"

The winds of the fifth floor were still raging outside of the safe zone. It was going to be a little while before he could properly venture out of its borders. Not that he was incapable of navigating in inclement weather, but the prospect of squinting through sand for the better part of an hour was not one he relished. He figured as long as happenstance put a new player in his path, he might as well make the most of the delay. "I'm Shield," he said, giving a slight incline of his head. "I'm up here to farm a valuable drop that is of particular interest to tanks such as myself."

The girl slowly stood up from the sand and dusted off her butt before she said anything back. Oh, he wasn't an NPC. Usually they would have walked off by now, but literally every player she had met up to this point was nice enough to make sure that she was alright before walking off. The people of Aincrad were nicer than she presumed. She always thought gamers were sleazy mean people like her brother but Sword Art Online players were all proving to be really nice.

"H-Hi Shield, I'm not in an hurry or anything... just didn't pay attention to where I was going was all." She gave him a shy smile and reached her hand out for a handshake. "My name is Chels-I mean Shye...Ugh my name is Chelsea. I still can't get into the habit of using the username. I'm still not used to it is all..."

@Shield

Edited by Shye

"Well, inside of safe zones, there's no much risk of landing in a bad situation," Shield said, covering his eyes from the sun and squinting towards the edge of town. "However, once you're outside of a settlement, you're going to need to be more mindful. I'm sure you don't need reminders of the dangers out there." He gave a searching look, trying to make what he could from the girl's appearance. She didn't seem to have much in the way of gear. That didn't always mean much in a safe zone, since even those who had gear didn't necessarily need it inside of the protective zone.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you haven't been out there much," he said, gesturing with his head towards the outside and in particular the sand storm. "You don't exactly scream 'prepared for the worst.'" There was a good chance that such an assumption would be seen as offensive. In a sense, perhaps it was meant to offend, since it pegged her as someone who was not particularly well equipped to handle SAO. He did not intend it as insult though, and although his features remained impassive, there was no sense of malice in them.

Shye shrank a bit when the man began to pick her apart. It was true that she hadn't gotten much equipment yet. However, so far she had only been taking quests that were realted to gathering, or quests where she did nothing but watch others kill things for her. 

"S-Sorry...I just wanted to see what the higher floors were like...Maybe I should just go back to Floor 1 and work on the easier quests there." The girl looked a little defeated at Shield's rather correct assumption. Was she really going to be strong enough to survive in a game like this? "I'm still trying to learn about video games, and I thought it would be alright if I did some sight seeing was all. You're right though, I shouldn't be going this high up in the floors with someone to help me. I can't do any damage or take any for that matter...I'm only useful to others with my healing abilities. which are terrible right now...."

@Shield

"Where in what I said did I say anything about your right to be on higher floors?" Shield asked, quirking an eyebrow. "You could be all the way up on floor 100 as long as you stayed in safe zones, and you'd be perfectly fine." At the mention of the word 'healing,' Shield's ears perked up. "You're a healer? Then there's certainly nothing wrong with getting a carry from strgoner players or checking out higher floors. If there's one thing that the front lines need more of, it's good support players." He glanced over at the sand storm. It was hard to say whether it was letting up or not, but either way, Shield had suddenly found a little more inspiration for venturing out sooner rather than later. "Well, Shye, you happen to have bumped into one of the players in Aincrad who is most concerned with getting support players stronger and prepared to join the front someday. If you're interested, the quest I was going to grind today should net you a couple of levels pretty easily."

He motioned with his hand for her to follow and made his way toward the edge of the desert settlement. "If you were to head out there, is there any sort of preparation you would need to do? Grab any items from home, anything like that?" His gait was quick for someone of his size, clearly someone who was used to a lot of traveling by foot.

That was a sudden change of events. One moment she felt like she was getting another scolding like she did from Mari, but then so quickly, Shield was inviting her to quest with him on this floor. Was it really safe for someone so low to go out of the safe zone up here?

"Sh-Shield? My healing abilities are amazingly sub-par." Saying something like that out loud made her feel like a nerd like her brother. She cleared her throat. "I'm literally level 1 so are you sure it's safe for me to join you? I have an item that boosts my skills, but I'm not entirely sure how much that helps. I also have zero experience with playing video games so I'm a total beginner when it comes to this."

He mentioned the front lines. She was reminded of what Mari told her when they fought the wasp. Worrying about what the front lines was doing would be a waste of energy for her at this moment. She needed to focus on what she was doing to get stronger so that she could eventually become strong enough to help those players.

"I'm tired of being a scared little girl when someone could have used the abilities I've invested in... but I'm also terrified of dying..." She mentioned out loud, without really meaning to.

@Shield

Shield waved his hand in front of his face as he shook his head, dismissing the concerns that Shye had voiced. "I'm not inviting you because I need healing," Shield said offhandedly. "I can solo this quest without any difficulty, and even if there were issues, I have my own support right here." He pulled open his sleeve, giving a little peek into the darkness. There wrapped around his forearm, were the coils of a colorful snake. "I'm more than set. This is just an opportunity for you to grow."

He began walking with purpose now, the edge of the settlement clearly in sight. "Of course, I won't force you to go, but if you want to get to a point where you don't have to be afraid, then you're going to have to boost your stats. Fear is a natural response to danger, so make it so you're not in as much danger. Otherwise, that fear is going to keep coming back any time you're in a tough spot, isn't it?" They were coming up quickly on the border of the safe zone. The sand storm was losing momentum now, which was encouraging to Shield.

Might just be perfect timing for starting the quest, actually. Skies will almost certainly clear by the time we're there.

Shye followed behind him and looked up at the safe zones border. She thought on his word momentarily. He sounded so sure of himself, like he could take on anything he wanted and not have to worry about her as long as she kept herself safe. After a moment of pondering, the red-head looked up at Shield.

"I-If we're going to quest together, I want to at least see your health bar." She said pulling up her menu, and with a painfully long time navigating them, found the party invite function and sent a party invite to Shield, then gave him the party leader when he accepted. "I-If something unexpected happens, please allow me to help you. I can heal you for at least 5-10% of you're health, I did the math." The girl then pulled out a booklet she had tucked away in her inventory. It looked like a general knowledge manual for players who were inexperienced with the game. 

"Ye-Yeah. It would talk all my energy for a single use, but I could still heal you a decent amount if need be."

@Shield

Edited by Shye

Without even slowing down, Shield swiped and brought up his stat readout, turning the display to face Shye. "I'm at the highest possible level, highest possible hit points, and one unique slot shy of the highest possible health recovery. I have fought this boss before. On his best attacks, his DPS can't keep up with my regeneration." At the end of his spiel, Shield found himself standing on the other side of the safe zone barrier. The wind had kicked up, tossing his shaggy hair in the breeze.

"I can't make the decision for you on this one," he said, raising his voice to compete with the wind. "I will say that this enemy has zero splash damage. Not to mention-" he pointed to the section of his readout that was dedicated to sword arts. The entire section was blank. "Every bit of damage that I do is defensive. There is no safer player to carry you through this fight. Just be careful not to attack me. That won't end well for you." He pointed to his Thorns and smirked. "Oh! That reminds me!" With that, Shield uncorked a bottle and chugged the contents. Immediately, the number beside his thorns increased dramatically.

[Consumed +2 Immolation Potion. +30 Thorns]

Shye watched him step through the border. It was always a risk to leave the safe zone, but maybe not for him. Was that really what the power of video games could do to someone? Being something you're completely not and defying all odds? This was going to be one hell of a journey and she was sure that she wouldn't be running through it. Her mind went back to what she had told Mari. She was terrified, unsure and inexperienced for sure, but if someone were to die because she wasn't strong enough to help them survive, she would rather take the risk to help them. Shield didn't need it, that was true, but what if someone like Jinx, Astralin or Nines needed it? What if they died because she wasn't there to heal them? It killed her on the inside to think off.

After a total of about thirty seconds of quiet contemplation, the girl walked forward through the safe zone barrier next to Shield, instantly feeling the harsher brush of the wind. She covered her eyes from the sand being kicked up. She didn't say anything to the man, but she did give him a timid nod and stuck close to him as possible without making it awkward.

@Shield

That settled the matter. Shield pressed on through the wind, unstrapping his namesake and holding it out as a barrier for both players. The tinkling of sand against the face of the Manticore Mask was considerably louder than the wind, but with the wind itself cut considerably from the barrier, it made the going much easier.Fortunately, it wasn't long before the effects of the storm let up, and what was once a howling storm died down to a gusty sami-calm. Shield strapped the Manticore Mask back onto his back. "If you have anything you plan to do before the fight, now's your chance." He pointed towards a spire of sandstone that rose up out of the  dunes.

He paused, looking at Shye, giving her ample time to make any last minute decisions. He doubted there would be much, as she was more or less purely a tag-along. Shield's side of the combat was going to go the way it's going to go. "You doing alright?" he asked. They were a lot further now from the safe zone than he was sure she had planned to be at the start of the day.

She did the best she could to keep the sand out of her eyes, pulling a vanity hood from her inventory and putting on to cover some of her face from the winds. She could hear Shield's voice rise from behind the mask of the wind.

"Y-Yeah, I'm alright... Are we there? I'll find a place to hide where I won't interrupt your fight." The girl said looking around for somewhere to wait while Shield did what he came to do. She was incredibly nervous. It was a pretty scary feeling to have left the safe zone on the second floor where she had met that woman, Mari. Now she was even higher and it was even more dangerous. Several things here could probably maul her to death... Eh, probably shouldn't be thinking about things like that. Not good for the sanity.

"G-Good luck!" She called out to Shield from a distance.

@Shield

Passive [N/A]

Action: Parry - Vengeful Riposte [-4 EN]

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1850/1850 | EN: 172/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 169 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4  

<< Land Shark the Terra Firma >> HP: 650/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 4

Attack vs. Shield - ID# 145134 results: Loot: 11 [Assault Mode proc] MOB: 1 [Miss]

Abilities:

<< Assault Mode >> [LD 10+] ACC and EVA switch for ONLY his attack. MD 9 - strikes as with partial phase. MD 10 - strikes with full phase.
<< Move Swiftly >>  Concentration will not work on this boss. -1 penalty to ACC.
<< Hard-Scaled >> Paralysis and Freeze does not work on this boss.
<< Weak-Spots >> On a player’s roll of a natural 9-10, they will gain partial phase on their attack.

Shield gave a nod and stepped forwards towards the spire. No sooner had he done so than a rumble sounded through the ground. Something was drawing nearer, kicking up sand along the way. The closer it came, easier it became to see through the dust and sand that billowed up in its wake. Soon, it became clear. It was not something on the ground, but under it. A bulge rushed through the sandy ground like a mole, only much faster and more powerful. "There's our target!" Shield prepared himself, dropping lower into a ready stance and taking out both the Manticore Mask shield and his sword, holding the latter out between himself and the incoming foe.

As it drew closer and came within attack range, the speed of the concealed enemy doubled. It rushed at Shield, and sprung upward out of the sand. Its claws struck through the air, missing Shield entirely as the land shark skidded to a halt. Sighing, Shield shook his head. "For such a fearsome foe, that was a pretty weak opening attack."

Edited by Shield

A shark swimming in the sand?! This world continued to horrify her with things like this. Giant insects, sharks that swim in sand and god knows what else awaited her on the higher floors. She was extra careful, hiding behind a rock that seeped its way to the surface of the sand. The health bar in the top right of her HUD hadn't moved yet. She knew that he was the max level and had some amazing self-healing skills, but it was still dreadful to be able to see how close someone could be to death by a little bar. An unnerved feeling traveled up the girl's spine as she imagined her own health bar sinking down into the red. She shivered in her shoes.

What else should she do? If she's in the situation with more abilities, she likely won't be taking or dealing damage. Maybe there were some extra skills she could pick up later that allowed her to do something during combat while staying safe. Perhaps she would ask Shield about it later, when he was done fighting.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Cool Downs - Parry [0/2] Vengeful Riposte [0/3]

Action: None

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1849/1850 | EN: 172/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 169 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4  

<< Land Shark the Terra Firma >> HP: 501/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 4

Attack vs. Shield - ID# 145304 results: Loot: 15 [Assault Mode] MOB: 2+4+1=7 - Hit! 250/2-169 = 1 dmg [THN: 99 dmg, Riposte: 250/2-75 = 50 dmg]

Abilities:

<< Assault Mode >> [LD 10+] ACC and EVA switch for ONLY his attack. MD 9 - strikes as with partial phase. MD 10 - strikes with full phase.
<< Move Swiftly >>  Concentration will not work on this boss. -1 penalty to ACC.
<< Weak-Spots >> On a player’s roll of a natural 9-10, they will gain partial phase on their attack.

Shield planted his boot in the creature's sternum and pushed, sending it stumbling back. It protested, posturing up so its body bristled. It bared its claws, crying out with a noise that was half way between a screech and a growl. "Well, don't just stand there," Shield barked back at it. "If you're mad about it, then do something about it!" The whole time, the point of his sword remained out, shielding his body from his foe. Like a bull sizing up a matador, the land shark scraped its feet in the sand, pawing at the ground and setting itself for another attack.

With a speed that was nearly impossible to follow, Terra Firma charged. It collided with the Manticore Mask, the menacing shield defending its wielder from the brunt of the attack. Its claws had snaked around the outsides, digging into Shield's body, but as it stumbled back, it was clear that it too had been impaled. Shield's sword was deep in its gut, which took a chunk out of its health. So too were its claws scraped and burned from the stalwart tank's defenses, each mark shining out a bright, angry red. Shield bore the marks from the attack, but before Shye's eyes, they began to close, and the little health gone from his HP gauge was already refilling.

Edited by Shield

H:(0) Shye: 20/20 1/2 (+1) | Rec: 1 | Healing: 8%

Action: Healing Shield for 8% = +148

Shye watched her ally take a harsh chunk of damage, but even still his HP was coming back as the battle continued. It was nerve wracking to see someone just eat damage like that and continue going. There were really players that did things like that? She would be terrified to see her health going down, but I guess Shield didn't worry about it because he was already so strong. She saw that her tanks HP was still not at full. What if she were to just...

The girl looked at the shark that was rampaging around the sand. The fear set in on the back of her neck, but she couldn't sit on the side lines forever. If she was going to get higher and stronger to help other people she couldn't be a chicken. They would depend on her like she was depending on Shield. After a moment of pondering, the redhead rushed into the battle field and her hands took on a soft white glow. Shield could feel the healing from Shye behind him.

"I-I want to help! E-Even if it means nothing!" She shouted looking really stressed out from the situation. When the healing was done, she noticed the shark coming in for another round. No way she was sticking around for that. Chelsea quickly hurried back to her hiding spot, stumbling over loose sand and nearly falling on her face. She, however, makes her way back to the safe spot.

image.thumb.png.4fc0267cdf0ae93019b55c7923852bf5.png

Edited by Shye

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs - Parry [1/2] Vengeful Riposte [1/3]

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1769/1850 | EN: 173/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 169 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4  

<< Land Shark the Terra Firma >> HP: 402/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 4

Attack vs. Shield - ID# 145688 results: Loot: 13 [Assault Mode] MOB: 8+1+4=13 - Hit! 250-169 = 81 dmg [THN: 99 dmg]

Abilities:

As Shye made her way back towards her hiding spot, she found herself cut off. The land shark skidded to a halt in front of her and let out a gargling cry of anger, flailing its claws in all directions. There was a loud clang, and Shield was standing over her, his face focused and intent as his shield sheltered them like an umbrella. The land shark, just inches away, slavered and snarled. With a heave, Shield planted his foot in its chest and pushed it back several feet. "I told you I've got this! Now you're stuck! Leaving a battle isn't as simple as just walking away. Once you're in it, you're in it, and the monsters will block you from leaving unless you successfully evade them." He ran after Terra Firma, trying to keep it distracted long enough for Shye to escape.

A cloud of sand kicked up behind their digital adversary, and he rocketed forward into Shield's chest. Its claws struck true, piercing the tank's chest, but instead of sticking the landing on its attack, it bounced backward off of him, landing on its backside in the sand. Shield glared down at it before shooting his sharp eyes over at Shye. "Go! Now!" His health had taken a small hit, but once again, it was already in the process of rapidly healing. The land shark, glaring right back at Shield, did not try to stand up, rather instead, rolling backwards and diving straight into the ground like a fish sliding off of a river bank into the water. Swearing under his breath, the tank cast about the battlefield, looking for signs of the land shark in the shifting sands of the desert.

Edited by Shield

The girl skidded to a quick stop and let out a frighten "Aaah!" She huddled in an attempt to protect herself until she heard the loud clang of Shield's aegis that had protected her. Before the man could even get his first word out, he could hear the girl's timid voice. "Sorrysorrysorry." She wasted no time on trying to get out of there as soon as possible. Her breathing became irregular and she was already shaking. She screwed up big time and he's going to hate her for it, or worse she'll die to the monster. She took off in the opposite direction trying to find anything she could take shelter behind before the shark resurfaced again.

Another rock was sticking out of the ground for her to hide behind, she dove behind it quickly and huddled behind it. Her breathing continued to be salvageable at this point. Was she having a panic attack? What great timing...

@Shield

image.thumb.png.a30a12528eaef3dbfaa2e0a4f1b57184.png

Shye successful escapes combat.

Edited by Shye

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs - Parry [2/2] Vengeful Riposte [2/3]

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1769/1850 | EN: 173/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 169 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4  

<< Land Shark the Terra Firma >> HP: 303/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 4

Attack vs. Shield - ID# 145719 results: Loot: 12 [Assault Mode] MOB: 6+1+4=11 - Hit! 250-169 = 81 dmg [THN: 99 dmg]

Abilities:

With Shye safely behind cover, Shield was able to relax a little bit more, letting his eyes go out of focus and casting his attention around more generally to perceive the slight shifts in the sand or sounds of movement that might give away Terra Firma's position. He stayed still, listening through the slight whistling of the wind around the wind-carved spire that served as the only conspicuous landmark. From behind him, there came a sound of shifting sand, followed immediately by a gurgling grunt and the hissing of sharp claws through air. Shield turned around just in time to jab the bottom edge of his shield into the land shark's throat.

There came a sickening cough and a gasp of air through monstrous vocal cords. The creature's rear claws raked along Shield's face, and his health dipped, but like before it immediately began to tick back towards full. It was a constant ping pong match between the hits that Terra Firma would land and Shield's considerable healing abilities, bouncing his health bar between the exact same two points over and over again.

Edited by Shield