[F01-PP] beats to discuss aincrad to

NIGHT: bringing a friend home.
NIGHT: are you in?
DAY: I'm outside at the minute.
DAY: Why, miss me? I'll come running ;)
✓ Seen 2:24pm

[♫]

The duo had opted to take a side trip back to Yuki's place first -- something about food, which NIGHT was keen on seeing as a pleasantry -- before heading home to NIGHT's to clean up and chill out. The darker player wondered if the stains from the 16th floor were ever going to come out of her track wear. With any luck, they would, and she wouldn't have to make a stop over to her neighbour's again for copies. On the other hand, her outfits hadn't recovered before, so to the knight, it felt like anyone's guess at this point.

"Bathroom's upstairs," the host told her friend, deciding to at least get a wash in before she lounged around her home. She'd set one of Debussy's pieces on for her guest in preparation for this, the piece a vanity selection from her trip out to Arabelle's just the other day. Soft notes of the piano seemed to linger in the air between the duo, as NIGHT approached the steps to the second floor, glancing to the paladin for a moment. "Wait here a second, I'll be back shortly."

One unloading of her equipment into a bucket of water and a quick rinse under cool water, before NIGHT found herself out the shower in casual clothes; a plain black tee and sweat shorts, mimicking her outfit's soiled counterparts. She paced herself down back to the living room, where she'd left her friend to begin with, a cream-colored towel slung around her own neck.

"Yuki," the woman called for the pink player's attention. "Quick shower?"

@Zajcica

Mega Slime Farm used. (+2SP to NIGHT upon thread closing.)

Spoiler

NIGHT
 | HP: 950/950 | EN: 92/92
 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 16 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 36 | VAMP(OFF): 1 | BLEED: 24 | PARAV-D: 1 | LD: 3
 | Stealth Detection: 3

[Skills]
 | 
Mod Count: 4/5

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Ferocity, Precision, Finesse
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 3/5 
    > Athletics
  3. Searching | Passive | RANK 3/5
  4. - - -
  5. - - - 

-[Extra]

• Survival | Passive 
  • Concentration | Active -- CD: 3

• Familiar Mastery: Fighter | Passive | RANK 3/3

[Equipment]

• Dracbane
    -- [ Vampiric (Offensive) | Natural successful attack rolls of 9-10 heals the player for 10% of their Max HP. ]
    -- [ Bleed | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 24 unmitigated bleed damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Bleed damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
    -- [ Accuracy | +1 ACC ]
  • Reminiscing The Lord
    -- [ Mitigation II | +18 MIT ]
    -- [ Paralytic Venom (Defensive) | Natural successful attacks against you of 8-10 removes the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 ACC ]
    -- [ Evasion II | +2 EVA ]

-[Battle-Ready Inventory]

• - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -

[Misc]

• -- [ Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots ]
    -- [ Well Rested | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. ]
    -- [ Col Stash | +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests. ]
    -- [ Relaxed | Increases out of combat health regeneration by (5 * Tier) per post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat. ]
    -- [ Squeaky Clean | In a thread, -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player. ]
    -- [ Filling | In a thread, +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps. ]

A shower would be more amazing than anything, but first thing was first.

""Here," She handed the food items over to Night and gave her a slight smile. "Perishable. They need to go into the fridge or they'll melt." With her vanity crafts handed off, the paladin took control of the bathroom. Luckily her armor didn't get the brunt of the mud like Night's did, but it was still covered in a thick cacophony of substances that she would never like to talk about ever again. For now, they would be fine in her inventory where nothing will get sticky from them. She showered longer than an average person did, but that was mostly because of the need to change into a kimono. When she was finished, she reunited with her friend, wherever she was, with a teal colored towel around her hair.

"That feels so much better~ Thank you, Ren." 

@NIGHT

Spoiler

I can't have too much of kimono Astolfo. Or any Astolfo : Astolfo

Spoiler

General
Level: 33 | HP:  720/720 | Energy: 66/66 Hate: 1/3/4(M/H/C)

Stats
DMG: 4 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 81 | ACC: 3 | DoT Restst: 25% | Thorns: 18

Skills
R2 OHAS, R5 Heavy Armor, R2 MIT Familiar, Fighting Spirit, Concentration

Mods
Athletics; Stonewall

Housing Buffs
Rested; Filling; Tasty; Angler; Hardworking

Equipment(In use)

Equipment(Standby)
Regal Cuirass(Heavy Armor): 1MIT, 2 Thorns
La Black Luna(Trinket): ACC 3
White Spear - Lux(OHAS): 2 Bleed, 1 Taunt

Consumables
(2x)Starter Healing Potions(50HP)
(10x)Servings of Vanity Ice Cream

Edited by Zajcica

Half of the stock went into the fridge. Was that ice cream? NIGHT had the mind to dig into a tub right there and then -- but it'd be better to serve her guest some refreshments first.

See, if only she could cook. The woman was hesitant, eyes upon her chatlog from earlier, before she drummed up another message.

NIGHT: yes
NIGHT: please help
NIGHT: i am in dire need of knowing how to use the kitchen
DAY: Aww! You don't know how happy that makes me~! <3
DAY: wait you only needed me to make food?
NIGHT: yes

✓✓ Read 3:08pm

--Well, getting a couple of drinks together can't be that difficult, right? But the question was: did tea pair well with ice-cream? Was that suitable for a guest? The player shook those questions out of her head as she brewed a pot ready -- chamomile, sweetened, so that the bitter dry taste of it was long gone. Carrying the glassware out to the living room she nodded, spying Yuki step down from the stairs, before setting down her belongings onto the table. "I'll go grab the treats," NIGHT told her friend, before stepping out the sofa pit to pull a pair of tubs out, wooden spoons included.

"These--" she started, having taken a seat amongst the sea of cushion and pillows, lid pried off her tub of frozen delicacy. "These are deep fried? I-- Yuki, how and... why...?"

@Zajcica

Yuki watched Night pry off the lid of her ice cream, not the exactly the reaction she intended to see, but maybe it was a bit weird to deep fry ice cream... Well when it was put that way.

"Never had Deep-Fried Ice Cream? It's just ice cream with deep-fried pancake batter over it. Goes well with chocolate syrup. I can remove the pancake batter from some of the recipes right now if you let me use your kitchen. The Sword Art Online system for food is a little lenient." The paladin took a seat on one of the pillows, sitting on her knees politely. The stiffness in her shoulders was apparent. Hopefully Night wouldn't notice how nervous she was. It had been ages since she lasted visited a friends house, even back in the real world. Having a house guest was different since her parents had a lot of guests.

"Here, let me get you one without the batter." She stood from her seat to go find one of the ice creams she could remove the pancake batter from for Ren.

"Oh-- no-- no it's fine," the player in dark quickly added, trying to stop her friend from leaving to the kitchen. Without a reply from her house mate, NIGHT had no guarantee that her home was safe (even with one she herself would still be wary). "I really haven't seen a dish like this before. And I've looked at a handful of places." With a scoop, she cut into one of the orbs, before shoving the dollop into her mouth -- crunchy and cold, an unusual pairing, but one she could get used to given time.

The woman swallowed her portion, letting the dish's flavour sink in. "It's an interesting taste," she admitted, still hesitant about keeping it as a staple. "I can keep it around."

NIGHT picked up the other half of the ice cream she'd mutilated earlier, holding it aloft on her spoon. "So, Yuki. How's... Aincrad been so far...?"

God I suck at small talk what kind of vague question was that--

@Zajcica

The paladin took her seat back when Ren stopped her. She figured that it was a bit of an odd dish, but it had it's own unique taste that was good in it's own right. Unique had that staple of making weird combinations of foods that seemed to somehow worked. That's when she brought up Yuki's experience in Aincrad so far. Honestly, she had to think on that for a moment. A lot had happened since she was level one.

"I... I-I'm not sure. At first, I was scared. I sat around like a coward in the Town of Beginnings and cried for around a year. When I finally accepted it, I sat around for another year, not crying, but still terrified. Then after, I got some gear made and went out into the field for the first time. I accepted that if I died there, then I wasn't strong enough to help anyone. I came out invincible for my first 10 levels. Up until then, I felt like I could do anything. I had balls again." She giggled, the weird pun coming off completely differently. "Sorry, anyway. I grew into this reckless attitude that nothing could stop me. I think I'm only here because people like you have helped me. You've all kept me alive. You, Mari, Hidden, Shield, Life, Crow.... I wish I could something to thank all of you..."

"Probably just by staying alive, you'd be thanking them enough."

NIGHT poured out a cup of tea for herself and Yuki, before picking up the snack spoon again, digging into more of the ice cream while she could. It was easier to do so without a conscience in Aincrad, but even now, she still preferred to regulate her eating habits so it was easier to transition back in the real world.

Or tougher. It really depended on what was available around her at the time of her awakening.

"You did say Mari, right?" NIGHT tilted her head at the familiar name, spoon face-down on her tongue as she mentioned it. "Orange-haired PK-er, gloomy and suspicious, biting at people's words -- that one? She says she's infamous for having culled a number of people. But then," the player waved the spoon around in her hand, "She said something about doing it with a conscience. Right? How'd you run into her...?"

"... Well, if anything, its good you can count yourself lucky to be here with us today. What's happened in the past doesn't matter; everyone goes through a time of fright and mourning, it seems." The knight shovelled another spoonful back into her mouth, munching on the dessert. "Count your lucky stars you found some front liners willing to help you out too -- we barely hear anything from them these days, it's good to have some sources on the inside."

@Zajcica

"Mari is a better person than she might have you believe. Yes- She is an orange player, yes, I'm aware that she has taken some lives, but she isn't a killer like people make out orange players to be. In fact, I've met worse green players than most of the orange ones that I've met. Mari, Hidden, and a boy in the snow floor four. He didn't tell me his name." The paladin took a glob of her own ice cream and shoveled it into her mouth. She was surprised that she was able to get the taste of the food nearly perfect to its real world counter part.

"Mari is one of the first people I told me secret to here in Aincrad, I don't know what came over me, but I met her at the Gala after you broke away from our conversation. I stepped outside and met her. She was such a nice person who was having a hard time coping with the color of her crystal. It was stupid. We're all people, maybe not at this instant, but that doesn't mean we aren't alive. Mari shouldn't have to live with the guilt of taking someone's life and having it publicly displayed like that. Nobody knows the details, perhaps it was in self defense or maybe she really is a killer behind the curtain. Nevertheless, I would trust Mari with my life, if only she could ever trust me with it..."

This would probably be a good time to change the subject then. "What about you then Night? What is your story?" The paladin took another munch out of the batter and scooped up some ice cream into her mouth.

A boy... Rude... On the fourth floor...

NIGHT squinted at the mention of that, biting down on her spoon. What was up with these parallels? For a moment she swore to Cardinal that she would have its microchip-powered brain cell, just for revenge, before she leaned back into the conversation with Yuki, setting aside the tub of ice cream.

"Eight people," she clarified, fingers wrapping around the handle of a glass cup on the table. "She's killed eight. I went to talk to her with a friend once." A sip of her tea. "An interview. I can only give her the benefit of the doubt, now, but I'm still wary. Better she put those fighting skills to system monsters than upon players who wish for death, though."

"I'm surprised out of all the players there, you seemed to meet up with the most dangerous of them all."

Another long drink of her chamomile refreshment, NIGHT leaning back into her cushions for comfort. Her own story? Where would she even start? So many people came and went in the blink of an eye, and then there was her doppel, and then there was the Tarot, the events, the sham that was Calming the Soul. When she lowered her cup, now devoid of tea, all there was left on her face was a solemn, muted expression, the woman's eyes shifted away from her friend's in absolute discomfort. How could she ever open up about what she'd gone through? It felt hard to believe even to herself. And no one should ever have to find the truth out about DAY.

Seeing them, sure. But their identity? No. It had to only be their secret.

"I started out with a group of players," she began, refilling her cup with a crestfallen look. "Half of them disappeared for long periods of time. Then we got news they didn't make it, save for one. They made up the survivors, all of whom are now retired, as far as I know."

A sip. NIGHT was quiet. Mournful. "I haven't seen them in ages. ... 'm probably the only one on active duty, now."

@Zajcica

Silence drifted over the room at the end of her sentence. She didn't mean to bring anything like that up, but it was hard to by empathetic when she herself had never been through the death of a close friend here in Aincrad. Was that really the penalty of this game? The think that anything you do leads into you getting to leave the game, but instead you just make new, wonderful friends and watch them all either disappear or die one-by-one? Yuki set her ice cream on the table and shifted into a sit on her rear end where she curled her legs up to her chest. Her mind was starting to trail off again like it was before the snake fight. Was she going to lose everyone she cared about to this game? Was someone going to lose her to the system? Would she die one day and just leave everyone she knew behind with a hole in their hearts for the rest of their life? What was she supposed to do anymore?

While Yuki was quiet, NIGHT had time to think. The most recent recollection of her lost friend's name was when the knight and paladin present were out hunting nepents but lovelier. Had anyone caught onto her hesitation that time? She finished the last of her tea -- a second mug emptied in such a short time -- before calling the pinkette over, sucking on her cheek at the side.

Two flicks of her menu, and she brought up her contact list. There, near the top, was Koga, the man himself missing in action.

"He got married early," the woman commented, a finger pointed to the name, the other hand idly trying to stuff itself into her pocket, if only she had one around at the time. "Had a sister. She dated my mentor for a time. Then she and his wife were gone. We never knew what happened."

"I didn't know them too well. But it sucks being left alone."

One wave dropped her menu from view, NIGHT looking over at her companion with indifference. "That's why I suggest you prioritize keeping yourself alive, Yuki. It's your best move to do. You can't fight to keep everyone else alive if you've fallen in combat. You've already made connections with people who care about you. Easiest way to let them down is if you go ham without thinking, without being cautious or prepared. You got that?"

@Zajcica

Yuki slid over and watched the presentation on her friends HUD. She was still quiet watching her finger trace the names of people that Night once knew. She was still having trouble believing that her life was anymore important than others. She was no one special, neither here or in the real world.

"N-No. I don't want to see anyone else get hurt as long as I can move. If I can move my feet, I would happily die to save the life of a friend like you. D-Death doesn't scare me in the slightest." What an awful lie. "I- I just..." The paladin searched for the words that she needed to make her thoughts clear. "This world is awful! Why am I forced to feel this way because anyone of my friends could die in the blink of an eye?! Why can't I just make friends and be happy with a mediocre life?!" The girl started to break into tears a bit. The streams down her cheeks glinted off the light when she looked back at night.

"I don't want to! I don't want to make people worry about me Ren, but I have to!!! I have to do it! If I do everything in my power to protect them, who will?! Who is going to do it?!" Yuki threw her face into her knees and sobbed quietly next to her friend, wetting the skirt of her kimono with her own tears.

It's not easy, being a citizen of Aincrad. Watching Yuki break down again in front of her, it was easy to remember her own grief back when she was just starting out, too. As the woman nestled her head into her own yukata, NIGHT could only look upon her back, wordless, silent.

No way she knew in the world just how to comfort people.

A notification on her interface. She stealthily pulled open a small menu in between her fingers.

DAY: Is that someone crying?
NIGHT: ure here?
DAY: What?
DAY: You needed my help so I came running. Why're they sobbing?
NIGHT: long story
NIGHT: can you fix us up smth
DAY: There's ice cream in the freezer.
DAY: Is it deep-fried?
NIGHT: not important
NIGHT: try something else
DAY: You've got it.
NIGHT: and can you not look like
yourself for once
✓ Seen 3:13pm

The player sighed and returned her attention to her friend. One hand upon her friend's back, rubbing at it gently, as NIGHT leaned over to the table to pick up a box of tissues. She grabbed a couple sheets, before offering it to her companion.

"I hope you at least remember that it's not your fault. ... You can always hang back and wait for the game to be cleared, you know. Or just go on safer adventures for fun's sake, rather than risk your life." Her eyes narrowed at the remembrance of Yuki's willingness to protect others, biting her bottom lip at the thought. "Though, no matter what, I'd rather see you kick your martyrdom at minimum. That can't be healthy..."

@Zajcica

The pinkette took the few sheets of tissue was offered and cleaned off her face. She looked over at night, the streaks of tears still painting her cheeks over a very thin color of red.

"I'm not suicidal Night, I don't rush into every battle thinking that'll need to throw myself in front of them and die for it. But if that's what it has to come to, then I would rather be the one to die in that situation. I'm nobody important... Aincrad, Earth, anywhere... I'm just a single person that is no different, if not worse than others... My job here in this world is to ensure others live to see the end of this steel castle. If I die to save another persons life... At least I could find some solace in saving one person... even for just a moment." The more she talked, the more she felt like she was only droning on. Everything that she was saying seemed so useless and stupid, so why did she care so much about it?

"'If I die to save another person's life'...? And what makes you think it's better them than you, when both of you are equals?"

"Listen to yourself," NIGHT finally added, after a moment of keeping quiet, patting the pinkette upon her back. "How you speak as though you're not worthy. How you should fall instead of others. I barely even know your friends, and I can't imagine that their lives aren't just as precious as yours. And yet they're not swearing to fall over one another every day. Do you think of death as some divine grace or something?"

A huff, before NIGHT shook her own head gently. "But this isn't about me," she clarified, straining over to offer Yuki a cup of chamomile. "This is about you."

The woman was silent again, when she picked up her own glass of tea, allowing the warmth of her refreshment to sit on her palm. Its heat was calming, welcome, before NIGHT took a sip of her own drink, looking over to the paladin to check on her state.

"'It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important... You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose.'" The knight cocked her head to the side, giving Yuki another soothing rub on her back. "The Little Prince. It's exactly how and why you stand out amongst the other players of Aincrad. That's exactly why you're important, even when you think you're not. Because you're friends with people who care about you, so you must take care of them by taking care of yourself first."

@Zajcica

Yuki's face only scrunched up further, like she was doing her best to not cry more than she already was. Her words came roughly though the sobbing.

"But what if I'm not good enough to protect someone... What if... What if someone dies because I can't do the job I'm meant to do? I can't live with the guilt of someone's death being my fault! I started leveling because I thought it would be better to die saving someone else's life than just crying in the town of beginnings, or so I could help the front lines work faster! I don't want to live in this hell anymore! I wanna see my mom, my dad, and my sister again! Why does it have to be like this!?" The paladin started into to a full blown bawl again. So much energy wasted on crying. What was she, a freaking child? A crybaby that only whined and complained in hardship?

"There's so much weighing on me Night. People need me to be strong, confident and ready for battle, but also not reckless and careless... I don't know where the medium is! Please help me!" The girl threw her arms around her friend, clutching her somewhat tightly. She knew Night wasn't fond of physical contact like this, but she couldn't control herself at this point.

"W-woi--!"

Debussy remained on loop. Arabesque picked up again, as soon as Yuki went to grab NIGHT. Gritted teeth, and a pained smile left unseen, the player's face not in plain sight with her friend's own buried to her shoulder, her chest. With an exasperated sigh, the woman continued to soothe her anxious friend, silencing an instinctual growl from the proximity of someone else.

"It's on them too, to stop themselves from falling in battle -- Not all the blame can be placed on you. --B-Besides, who's asking so much of you all of a sudden...? What, your friends? The front liners...?"

As Yuki continued to weep, NIGHT could only take the time to compile the information she'd gotten out of her friend in silence. Expectations such as those that had applied to Yuki -- NIGHT could barely remember them upon herself after so long of living alone and out of reach from a known authority, given the space to grow into her own person. And now they were back, in some shape or form, for better or worse, but it wasn't for her.

She managed to escape her problems just by chance alone. To see Yuki stand up to them was a hurdle in itself.

"I don't know who wants you to be sturdy all the time, but surely they must understand that there are times where you can be vulnerable, or soft, or unprepared. It's only human." The player found her hands running through pink hair now, hoping the gesture would serve to calm her companion further. "All we've got to go on is our best, and if that means faltering for a moment or a second, then let it be. There's no point casting blame around in a team effort, especially not where your friends are going. You are not -- and won't be -- the sum of your mistakes, Yuki."

Although, if all of this is said by the top brass, then the front lines seems to be a lot more chaotic than I'd first thought...

@Zajcica

"N-Nobody stressed me to be strong... I put that on myself, because I thought that's what tanks do... Right? Shield is strong, he was the one who taught me. I can't falter or people around me will die... It's my tenacity and willingness to be the punching bag that keeps others alive..." A sniff passed through the girls nose and she finally let go of Night. "Sorry for throwing myself on you... I know you don't like it... or well just the contact I guess..." She scooped up a cup of the tea that Night had prepared, looking off into another direction away from Night. She was quieter now, attempting to calm herself and quit crying. She was looking like a baby at this point if she kept crying.

She let out a heavy sigh and took a sip of the tea. After a moment, she started whispering to herself something that Night could hear. Words of reassurance. "I am strong, I can protect people, I won't die." With another deep breath, Yuki fixed her breathing, her back still turned to her friend. This was something she had to daily to make sure she could mentally survive the day.

"That's one hell of a way to put tanking into perspective..." NIGHT's face was still pressed for heat the moment Yuki let go, and with a disgruntled nod she took her friend's apology in stride. While Yuki was taking in the drink, NIGHT reached out for another dollop of ice cream, taking only a bite-sized portion this time, a small quarter of a portion. The treat seemed to be melting, albeit slowly, vanilla white slinking down the brown crushed forms of batter, and the player made it a note to refrigerate the snack as soon as she could.

She watched as the paladin murmur something to herself -- a chant, a recital? -- and wondered how far 'Shield's' philosophy stretched. The man might've been a wall indomitable, but surely there was a better way to live life. Surely one didn't have to be as steadfast and stalwart just to be a defense buddy for someone else.

After all, what was the point of closing yourself off so much that in the end, one just ended up alone through the thick of it all? Something along the lines of 'no man an island'...

NIGHT's attention was caught by the tall butler figure that stepped out of the kitchen -- DAY? Hardly recognizable with the orange hair and stern face, Disguise working its magic about the doppel's form. "Strawberry Daifuku for the young masters," a low voice emanated from the suspicious figure, NIGHT raising a brow at their words in absolute disbelief. With a bow, the entity came and went, leaving only a red box with several white mochi balls in it.

"Enjoy."

Tantalizing. The player debated on how much she trusted the Gemini.

"You know," NIGHT interjected, picking up one of the newly laden snacks on the table. "If you're worried about combat, there's always the option to improve your numbers so far that it wouldn't even matter what came to hit you." Half of her treat chewed off, the strawberry hitting her palette sweetly and mild. Leave it up to a system construct to pick out the best ingredients -- even if the dish was an unbuffed creation. "Though, why a tank? Any damage-based player could act as a meat shield too, technically, and sacrifice themselves for others just the same. You just wouldn't be as fearful of your own neck the whole time."

@Zajcica

The girl finally turned around to meet Night's eyes again, only to see another figure walk around into the room. Her face grew entirely red with embarrassment as it became clear that they weren't alone. "I- uh... um..." Just as quickly as they came in, they were gone. Another moment of silence went by.

"Y-Yeah, I can increase my ability to tank to a point where I'm nigh invincible...but it requires a lot of grinding and time. I need so many important things for my own survival. I'm afraid of dying before I'm able to get ahold of them... My gear is still kind of weak too... I need to upgrade." The girl sighed. "That stuff that we farmed up yielded nothing but a lance and a few shields with different effects. I guess...I have to go out and fight more."

Yuki looked over the mochi that was brought to them both. Strawberry? She took a few and started stuffing them in her mouth. Her face was still a little red "W-Will you help me again Night? I feel like my doubts are at ease when you're with me. Everything seems so much less scary."