[PP-F9] <<The GateKeeper of FIre>> Burn Baby Burn

Quest
-

Last time Mari was here, she royally f**ked up. She had tried to lead a misson, a quest. With herself, Macradon, Cordelia and Baldur - but...everything went awry. Macradon had been flirting with Baldur - and Mari had realized she found the samurai gaijin attractive. Perhaps...it was that quest where Macradon had caught on too. But what was worse....was Mari's lack of skills when it came to actually hitting anything. She had constantly missed. THat was a problem.  But not this time.

This time she'd be prepared. She had ensured that she had buffed herself before the fight.  Last time... both Cordelia and Baldur rushed in, not giving her the chance to buff herself. Not this time.... not this time....

This time...she had Shield, and this time - she had a new weapon. This time she wouldn't fail. Now....if only it wasn't on such a wretched floor. "I hate this goddamn floor..." Mari muttered to herself as she wiped the sweat from her brow.  The only reason she was here was because of that aforementioned weapon - she wanted to replace one of the slots on it for burn. And this was the quickest way to do so.

@Shield

T3 | Super Sight Miso Ramen: +2 ACC
T1 | Titans Strength Potion"  +3 Damage

Spoiler

General
Level: 70 | HP: 1430  |Energy: 140

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 140/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name:
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Shield

Spoiler
» Shield The Immovable Object
Modified HP:  
Modified EN:  
Modified MIT:  
Modified ACC:  
Modified DMG:  
Modified EVA:  
Battle Heal:  
Search: +1 [Yamata No Orochi Statue]
Temp Buff: +30 THN [Immolation Potion +2]
Temp Buff:  
Temp Buff:  
» Base Stats  
Base HP: 1850  
Base EN: 176  
Base MIT: 181  
Base ACC: 0  
Base DMG: 2  
Base EVA: -1  
Battle Heal: 92 HP  
Search: +5  
» Items Equipped:  
Armor Manticore Mask - T3 Perfect Shield - Flame Aura I / Taunt / Mitigation I
Armor Stinging Nettle - T3 Perfect Heavy Armor - Envenom (Defensive) I / Thorns II
Shield Blessed Greaves - T3 Demonic Heavy Armor - Mitigation II / Holy Blessing II
Extra Wedding Ring [+18 MIT]
Extra Hammerspace Backpack (HB) +1 BR item (allows stacks up to 7)
» Battle-Ready Inventory:  
Slot 1 Golden Keys x7 | Unique Item | +2 Search on Chests
Slot 2 Basic Teleportation Crystal x4 | Good Item | Teleports player to the Town of Beginnings
Slot 3 Safeguard Potion x3 | Perfect Tier 1 | Safeguard
Slot 4  
Slot 5  
Dimensional Backpack  
Storage Closet  
» Skills:  
1 Searching | 5 Ranks | +5 Bonus to LD, +0 to Stealth Detect
2 Battle Healing | 5 Ranks | While in combat, recover 1% per rank (85HP) at the beginning of your turn
3 First Aid | 5 Ranks | +4% HP per rank (+20% HP) on Post Action
4 Picking | Purchased | +3 LD when opening chests
5 Heavy Armor | 5 Rank | +35 Mitigation
6 Energize | Purchased | Restore 8 EN to target
7 Block | 5 Ranks | +25 Mitigation
8 Howl | Purchased | +2 Hate against each opponent (up to 4)
9 Fighting Spirit | Purchased | +1 Hate when using Howl or Focused Howl
10 Parry | Purchased | 3 Turn Cooldown | 5 Energy | Reduces incoming damage by 50%
11 Fishing | Purchased | Fish for equipment and gain prestige among old men
» Extra Skills:  
Extra Concentration | No Ranks | Gain +1 BD for a single attack | 5 Turn Cooldown
Extra Familiar Mastery: Healer | 3 Ranks | +135 HP (Does not require post action)
Extra Martial Arts | 1 Rank | +1 Base Damage per slot with Unarmed Weapons
Extra Meditation | Purchased | Recover an additional 15 EN on Post Action | 3 Turn Cooldown
Extra Survival | Purchased | Increases out of combat health regen to (15xTier) 45 per post
» Mods:  
1 Athletics: +1 DMG +45 HP
2 Focused Howl: +4 Hate against single target on Post Action
3 Dismantling: +2 LD when opening chests
4 Stone Wall: +Gain 10 MIT and 45 HP from heavy armor. Reduces DOT by 25%. -1 to Evasion.
5 Sharpness: Gives target +[Target's Tier] to Base Damage for 2 turns | 1 Turn Cool Down
  Justified Riposte: A successful Parry also stuns the target for 1 turn. | 3 Turn Cool Down
  Vengeful Riposte: A successful Parry returns 50% of DMG back to your opponent - mitigatable. | 3 Turn Cool Down

This floor was not home to Shield's finest hour. Sure, he had seen some successes, but in his earlier times as an up and coming tank, he had underestimated the beast's earlier form. He had progressed, and considerably so. However, according to info brokers, so too had Cerberus. It was not for no reason that he was here. A fellow pillar, and a friend for that matter, was in need of backup. It was no hassle. Shield would simply have to swallow his pride.

As he set foot once again outside of the outskirts of Yōgan Village, he craned his neck over the NPCs and player that were arriving and departing from the volcanic floor's hub. While the patch of red hair stood out in a lineup, in a crowd, it tended to get lost among taller heads. After a minute or so, however, he finally caught sight of some ginger among the crowd of other colors. He approached Mari, pushing past a few NPCs that seemed to be acting out the process of haggling by the gate over something that was charred and burnt. Those were not an uncommon descriptors for things found on this floor, so there was no way of knowing what without investigating, and he wasn't interested. He did his best to catch her eye and waved to her as he closed the distance. "Good to see you, Mari. Shall we get on our way then?"

Edited by Shield

"Shield. Hi." Mari offered him a tired smile. "Yeh, please." She aid as she turned and started her walk towards the spawn point.  "I've only done this once before, but last time the three hounds spawned separately from the boss. Hopefully, they do the same thing this time." Mari sighed as she again, wiped her forehead. "It'll be my first time fighting with a spear." Mari added as she pulled it out of her inventory. Cerulean eyes regarded it - and the small insignia at its head. Mari couldn't help but smile at the thought. The gift. Shield was a great man, but perhaps, an even greater businessman. So for him to give her something such as this...it meant a lot to her.

"Last time I did this...I ...kinda had a lot of bad luck. Thrown into rocks, barely able to breathe...landed but a single strike against the beast - couldn't even hit the dog. Gods..." Mari sighed as she kicked at a rock.

"I really, really hate this floor."

@Shield

As they walked and talked, Shield gave a slight sigh of relief at Mari's account of misfortune, even allowing a smile to briefly flicker across his usually stern features. "Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one," he said, mopping his brow, which despite his <Survival> skill had already begun to perspire. "This is the floor where I also encountered one of my greatest near-failures. Though it was not quite enough to put me in the yellow, when I was still a little tier two tank, I came up here. Alone. I underestimated the true impact of fighting all three heads at once, all with phase." Shield's expression at the memory now turned from a flash of mirth to a flash of grim sobriety. "All of its teeth sank through my armor like it wasn't there. Had things gone worse for me, I might not be standing here today."

The tread of his boots was heavy on the volcanic stone that made up so much of the plains leading to the volcano. Ahead of them, the mountain smoked and jettisoned ash seemingly miles into the sky. Shield figured it likely was not so far since that would put the tenth floor impossibly far above them, but the illusions of distance were quite impressive still.

Either that, or I'm underestimating just how far Mari truly has to travel in order to ascend Aincrad.

"Right?" Mari added exasperated. "Can you imagine that some people choose to live here? Like actually make a conscious  decision to build their homes amongst boiling hot magma and lava and volcaonos and sh*t!" Mari shook her head. She knew some people thought she was crazy for building her home in the cold of the snow, but one could always put on extra layers. But one could only take off so many layers.

Mari listened to Shield. It was hard to imagine him being in any sort of danger- still. Both were well prepared for this battle. "It's strange to hear you being in the yellow." Mari said earnestly. "Although... I suppose we all grow close to death at some point." Mari tried to pick the last time she had been in the red - it wasn't due to a mob, but a player. A former friend. Her eyes lowered to the ground. Right. Life. She hadn't seen him in quite some time. Was he okay?

Mari used the Spear like a walking stick as the continued their trek upward. "You know..." Mari said between strained breaths. "You think...I'd be used to all this walking by now." She said with a chuckle. Despite how often, and how much she walked...Mari could never get used to the steep inclines of this floor.

As they strode further up the path; three hellhounds came around the corner, growling- blocking their path.  Mari turned to Shield. "Well, time to try out my new weapon, eh?"

She gripped it with both hands and without another word she charged forward. Mari swung the spear high over her head and dug her foot into the ground. Using the momentum she bought down the spear then swung it horizontally across the three hounds. The strike only missed one of them, as it ducked under her strike. Mari blinked. It was the first time she had ever hit more than one thing at once. "Hah..." Mari laughed, relieved to see her first strike a successful one.

@Shield

Action;

Weeping Moon (9 Energy +2 per target hit) - Do a single and powerful 360-degree spin

22+5=27 x 9 = 243-45=198
HEllhound 1:  ID:149425 BD: 7 HIT
Hellhound 2: ID:149426 BD:5-1+6-2=HIT
Hellhound 3: ID: 149427 BD:1 MISS

[H:1/1/0] - HP 1380/1430  | EN: 129/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Hellhound 1 HP: 152/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2   -198
Hellhound 2 HP: 152/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2   -198
Hellhound 3 HP: 350/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 

Edited by Mari

Passive [N/A]

Action: Howl > Hell Hounds [-9EN]

[H:1/1/0] Mari    - HP 1380/1430  | EN: 129/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
[H:4/4/4]
Shield - HP: 1848/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP: 83/350DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - ID# 149429 results: MOB: 3+2+1=6 - Hit! 125-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]
Hellhound 2 HP: 83/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - ID# 149430 results: MOB: 7+2+1=10 - Hit! 125-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]
Hellhound 3 HP: 350/350DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - ID# 149431 results: MOB: 2+2+1=5 - Miss

"Well, if you heard me correctly, you'd listened properly, you'd have heard that I wasn't quite in the yellow," he corrected, subtly feigning offense. "I defy you to find a player who remembers me being in the yellow." For some reason, the topic of health bars brought a change over Mari, though from what he knew about her experiences in SAO, he had some guesses. Without a warning, he gave her a hard flick on the ear. "Stop that. Whenever it was your brain just thought back to, that's not now. I'd like to think you're more than just your past. If you want to honor the memories of those that are gone, it won't be by punishing yourself. That's for damn sure. We're here now, and we're about to fight a what may be a tough battle." His features were stony and impassive, but they were not angry. "I understand you're holding onto a lot of negativity, but sadness will slow you in battle, and we don't have that luxury. You have to learn to channel that into determination. That's what will move you forward." It was arguably not the kindest way to handle that message, but they had exactly zero time to sugar-coat given where they were.

As the skirmish began, two of the three targets definitely felt the sting of Mari's new kit. The third skittered past the edge of her attack. Shield puffed up his chest and called out to them. "OI, FLEABAGS! I KILLED YOUR LITTLE BROTHERS LAST TIME I WAS OUT HERE!" His air pushed the dogs back a few inches on the hard ground, and one had to flatten itself to the rock to avoid being bowled over by the sheer force of it. Otherwise they were unharmed, but had switched their sights to Shield. Charging in, the first two took a bite of either leg, while the third lost its footing and tumbled for a moment.

"Mari! Single target! Focus that last one! My thorns will bring the others down close to nothing, and it'll just be one weak AoE to finish them off!" Now that she was adjusting to her new weapon, she was going to need to get used to the energy drain that came along with it.

Edited by Shield

"Oh, H-Hey!" Mari rubbed her ear when Shield flicked it. She shot him a half-hearted glare. She got why he was saying those things, but they came from a slightly tone deaf place. He couldn't possibly know what she was thinking, or what she had gone through. Still, Mari couldn't be mad at him. He meant well. Was one of the few people who did mean well - and he was making a very clear effort to keep her from her own self hating thoughts. "What we bettin'?" She asked instead, a sly grin on her face. "What do I get if I find someone who has seen your health bar dip into the yellow?"

Mari turned from Shield and shifted her gaze to the third hellhound. Right. Good. Mari was thankful for his battle advice, she would need it whilst she grew accustomed to the new weapon. Mari darted forward and jabbed the spear into the hellhounds front leg.Then Mari drove the spear into the ground and used it to propel her up into the air. She pulled it out of the ground and in a final move she drove the spear into the hounds skull. It whined as she pulled it out, having landing behind them. Despite her attack - they were still focused heavily on Shield.

"Hey!" Mari called out to Shield. "If they a'll hit ya - then you'll be able to knock them out with your mighty thorns!" She said with a small wave of her spear. It was...taking some time to get used to, her movements were a little sloppy. She wasn't as quick on her feet as she was used to - and using both hands to use the weapon was a stark contrast. Mari was used to being able to use her free hand to grab onto things, but - it was working. She was succeeding.

@Shield

Passive EN +1 BH + 67

Action: Dimension Stampede -17 EN > Hellhound 3    21 X 15 =  315-45=270
ID:149435 BD: 8  - HIT  Bleed PROC!

[H:1/1/1] Mari    - HP 1422/1430  | EN: 113/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -25 THORN
[H:4/4/4] 
Shield - HP: 1848/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP: 83/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - 
Hellhound 2 HP: 83/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - 
Hellhound 3 HP: 80/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 -  Bleed -24  2/2    -270

Edited by Mari

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP]

Action: Vengeful Riposte [-4 EN]

[H:1/1/1] Mari     - HP 1422/1430  | EN: 113/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -25 THORN
[H:4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1810/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP: 83/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - 
Hellhound 2 HP: 66/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - [ENV 18/4] 
Hellhound 3 HP: 0/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 -  Bleed -24  1/2 

Hell Hound 1 - ID# 149437 results: MOB: 1 - Miss
Hell Hound 2 - ID# 149438 results: MOB: 9+2+1=12 - Hit! 125+25-181=1dmg [Riposte - 125/2-45
Hell Hound 3 - ID# 149439 results: MOB: 5+2+1=8 - Hit! 125-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]

With the big fight still ahead of them and all of the remaining hounds in the red, Shield held off on using any buffs for Mari in the present moment. For now, he needed to be aware of her energy stores and help reduce the need to drain it further. He bent his knees, lowering himself into a dueling stance. His sword, although merely a vanity item, would serve to punish the beasts enough to put them out of their misery, assuming he also had some generous help from his thorny armor. The first hound came around for a second pass, but ripped head over heels over the other dog who had yet to fully recover from his tumble.

The second hound looped a wide arc around behind Shield and leaped up, biting the back of his neck. Shield saw at the last moment and swiped behind him with his blade, but it was not at a proper angle, and the attack did very little on its own. The bite was an exceedingly unpleasant sensation, but it did not harm him at all. Each attack only registering as minor blips on his health. What was much more harmful was their burn damage. Shield could only imagine what unpleasant  surprises Cerberus himself had in store. He grabbed the dog my the nose and ripped its mouth away from his neck, tossing it aside and giving Mari a clean shot. "Put these dogs down!"

Edited by Shield

Mari glanced at the two hounds before her, she quickly opened up her HUD - scanning through the different AoE's she had, and calculating in her head, she wouldn't need the strongest attack with this one, and she had noticed her Energy was dropping quicker than usual - so she couldn't just go all out and spam her strongest attack like she would with the dagger. Ahh, Trip Expand. Let's try that. Mari thought to herself as she selected it.

Mari then swung the spear - almost loosing grip on it, she had managed to right the strike as it landed on the second Hellhound. It wasn't the sweeping victory she had hoped for, but it wasn't a total loss either. "Can I blame sweat making the damn thing slippery?" Mari asked. She couldn't but dammit, this floor was too damn hot.

Mari swore to herself as she gripped the spear tighter,  It was still taking some getting used to. Still - she managed to kill one of them, and they were making better time then they would have if she was using her dagger. "Looks like you're cleaning up the dregs on this one." Mari said as she readjusted the grip on her spear. "careful."  Mari chided. "I'd hate to see you in the yellow." She added with a joking smirk and a wink.

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+67]

Action:   Trip Expand (6 Energy +2 per target hit) - An attack with several 360 spinning attacks that cover a wide area. 22 x 6 = 132-45=87
ID:149486 > Hellhound 1 MISS
ID: 149487 Hellhound 2 >HIT 

[H:1/1/1] Mari     - HP 1397/1430  | EN: 113/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -25 THORN 
[H:4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1810/1850 | EN: 167/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP: 83/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - 
Hellhound 2 HP: 0/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 - [ENV 18/4] 
Hellhound 3 HP: 0/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 -  Bleed -24  1/2 

Edited by Mari

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cooldowns [Vengeful Riposte - 1/3] 

Action: Energize > Mari [Shield: -9 EN, Mari: +8 EN]

[H:1/1/1] Mari     - HP 1397/1430  | EN: 121/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -25 THORN 
[H:4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 158/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP: 83/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 [ENV 18/4]
Hellhound 2 HP: 0/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2
Hellhound 3 HP: 0/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2

Hell Hound 1 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149489 results: MOB: 10+2+1=13 - hit! 125+50-181=1dmg

Shield rolled his eyes. "Well, with accuracy like that, we certainly know you won't be the one to put me there," he quipped back, taking the knife she had used in an attempt to wound his pride and shoving it right back into her own. "My thorns would likely need a buff to be able to do enough damage to one-shot this one," he corrected, "not without a riposte, and mine is on cooldown. It's gonna come back around to you either way."

With his only 'offense' currently out of the picture, it was time to play support. That was probably for the best. His party HUD told him that Mari was already losing a lot of her energy stores. "Let's give you a refill." He held out his sword, focusing his attention on the tip where wisps of pale blue light began to gather. Little by little, they formed into a roughly spherical orb of light. Swinging his sword, Shield tossed it over to Mari to refill some of her energy gauge. "Sooner this one drops, the sooner we can get to the big guy."

Edited by Shield

"Naww." Mari said in a sickeningly sweet tone, "I'd be sure to never miss someone like you Shield." Mari said as she batted her eyelashes at him. This was much more tolerable than last time. Last time there were too many variables, too many...emotionsAnd perhaps too many clavicles.  Mari tightened the grip on her spear. All in all. she was satisfied with how she was fairing. This was a crappy floor - one Mari loathed. It was only natural her performance would be...affected - not to mention this was her first time fighting with a new weapon.

She turned her attention back to her HUD - still getting used to the new list of moves; with another quick calculation she decided upon <<Dancing Spear>> She darted forward toward the last hellhound, jabbing it once in its hindquarters - as the canine turned to attack her Mari shoved the polearm into the ground, using it to leverage herself into the air - her foot collided with the dogs face as she sailed over him. Mari swiftly pulled the spear out of the ground and turned on her heel, giving it one final sweeping jab to its hind legs again - dealing the final blow.

The bleed didn't even have a chance to activate; the hell hound was dead. Mari breathed a sigh of relief. That had been much easier. "Should we head into a cave to cool off whilst energy regenerates?" Mari asked - glancing to her reserves. "Next time I gotta remember to bring some items that help with replenishing it. I'd rather get out of here asap - but I also don't want to run out of energy mid fight so -" Mari turned to Shield with a hand on her hip, the other clutched her spear which was firmly embedded into the ground. "Your call."

@Shield

Passive EN +1 BH + 67
Action:   Dancing Spear (6 Energy) - An acrobatic combo involving sweeps, pole vaulting with kicks and a concluding thrust.
22x 6=132-45=87
ID:149682 BD:8+6-2=HIT

[H:1/1/1] Mari     - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 115/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -25 THORN 
[H:4/4/4] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 158/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN 36/2]

Hellhound 1 HP:0/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 [ENV 18/4]
Hellhound 2 HP: 0/350 | DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2
Hellhound 3 HP: 0/350 DMG: 125 | Flame Aura: 45 MIT/25 Thorns | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2

Edited by Mari

Passive [N/A]

Out of Combat Post Action: Sharpness > Mari [-12 EN]

[H:0] Mari     - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 115/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | 
[H:0] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 146/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4

[Enemy not yet in combat - pre-generating stat block]

«Cerberus» HP: 500/500 - 500/500 -500/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY]

Abilities:
<< One at a Time >> : Players can only target one Head at a time before hitting another. AoE's do not work on this boss.
<< Infernal Punishment >> : On a critical attacks, this boss gains additional damage and will phase through 50% of the target's mitigation on all attacks this turn. [ 9 = 25 | 10 = 75 ]

"Well," Shield said, holding his sword up in front of him and focusing once again on the tip, "a couple of things. The main reason your energy was dipping so quick was because you were using AoE's. The fight with Cerberus is... different." Light once again began to gather at the tip of his blade, this time a pale red. "The way he moves and defends, you can only hit one head at a time, which means no AoE's for you. With me using Energize, we should have no problem keeping up on energy loss. Let's go get you a flaming spear." He gave Mari a little confident smirk before continuing up the path. "Secondly," he said, coming back around to the next of the 'couple of things' he had alluded to, "I have a negative evasion score. If you did miss me, it would be pretty embarrassing for you."

He continued up the trail, turning the corner from which the hell hounds had first appeared. Just up ahead, there stood the gaping maw of a cavern into the side of the volcano. From deep in the mountain, there came a deep, rumbling howl, followed moments later by a second and third. Each bore a pitch that was near but not identical to its brothers, causing the dissonant voices to clash violently in the resonant stone passage ahead. "Sounds like we're expected." With a flick of his wrist, he sent the red orb to Mari before taking off at a gallop up the path into the mouth of the cave.

"Shield, please. I'm practically a walking embarrassment already."

And so - they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It may as well have been literal fire. The cave was ferociously hot, the heat stung Mari's eyes and made it a little difficult to see. She had been here before though, with others - last time she wasn't buffed up, last time she wasn't focused. Everything and everyone had fallen apart. This time it was different. Mari turned to Shield with a small nod.  "One head at a time, I remember that from last time. So, may as well hit hard as I can. Once you've done your 'screaming at the enemy' thing..." Mari said with a small grin. "And we get rid of one head, could you be a sweetie and amp up my attack so I can go full force on the second head too?" Mari asked as he tossed her a ball of energy, Mari shifted her Spear so it splashed onto it - upping her attack. Hopefully they'd make short work of the beast.

She didn't wait for an answer - instead she bought her spear forward, clutching it tightly with both hands. She charged forward, last time...last time her weapon was too small to land any hits - this was different. SHe didn't just have a dagger. She had the equivalant of a dagger duct taped to giant ass stick. Mari slammed the tip of the spear into the ground and used it to propel herself up toward the first head -She jabbed its tip hard into the snout of the Cerberus - who roared in pain. Mari swung on the pole, like a gymnist and propelled herself upward. Mari ripped the spear out of the beasts snout then slammed it down in the top of its head, the spear stayed there as Mari cemented her position atop the Cerberus.

"How's the weather down there?" She called out to Shield.

@Shield

Passive: +1 EN
Action: Charged Dimension Stampede 22+3+5=30 x 15= 450-75=375
ID:149798   BD: 6+6=12-3=HIT

H:0] Mari     - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 99/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 1/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -30 THRNS
[H:0] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 146/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4

[Enemy not yet in combat - pre-generating stat block]

«Cerberus» HP: 125/500 - 500/500 -500/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY] - 375

Abilities:
<< One at a Time >> : Players can only target one Head at a time before hitting another. AoE's do not work on this boss.
<< Infernal Punishment >> : On a critical attacks, this boss gains additional damage and will phase through 50% of the target's mitigation on all attacks this turn. [ 9 = 25 | 10 = 75 ]

Edited by Mari

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP]

Action: Focused Howl > Cerberus [-6 EN]

[H:0] Mari    - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 99/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 1/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1847/1850 | EN: 141/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/2]

«Cerberus» HP: 56/500 - 431/500 431/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY]

Head 1 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149880 results: MOB: 4+3+1=8 - Hit! 175-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]
Head 2 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149881 results: MOB: 2+3+1=6 - Hit! 175-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]
Head 3 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149882 results: MOB: 6+3+1=10 - Hit! 175-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]

Abilities:

"Heat rises, so you tell me," Shield called up to her mockingly. "Also, hang on tight." He took a deep breath and compressed his air within his chest, using the force of his core and chest. With a roar of sound, he unleashed it, sending a jet of air that caught all three heads in its funnel. "LOOKS LIKE WE'VE BOTH BULKED UP A BIT! SEE IF THOSE TEETH ARE ANY GOOD AGAINST ME NOW!"

Shield slapped the face of Manticore Mask with the flat of his blade and lowered himself into a defensive stance, practically vanishing behind his shield. Slowly, he inched forward, knowing at any moment he was coming under fire. Come under fire he did. From the top and both sides, the three sets of jaws came at him, reaching around his shield - or trying rather. Each failed to find proper purchase, though the first of them had managed to buck forward about twenty feet in a matter of seconds with Mari still riding atop it.

Edited by Shield

Shield didn't have to tell her, Mari was practically dripping with sweat. Still, it felt nice to be up this high - to be atop a mighty beast she could not fathom to reach before.  Her foundation was rocked as the Cerberus threw its head back and forth, trying to shake her off - but Mari held fast to her weapon, and that was lodged deep into its skull. She wasn't going anywhere.

After regaining her balance Mari pulled out the spear from the head. With a sweeping arc, Mari thrust it straight down again, quickly pulling it out with a somersault and a kick, as Mari was on her way back down to the ground She jabbed it one final time in the underside of its jaw. Mari landed against the burning ground amongst a shower of shimmering red crystals. She slowly rose to her full height.

"One head down." Mari said as she wiped her brow, only to glance over her shoulder at the lumbering beast - smoldering red eyes focused on both her and Shield. "Two to go."

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+67 HP]

Action: 25 x 6=150-75= 75
Dancing Spear (6 Energy) - An acrobatic combo involving sweeps, pole vaulting with kicks and a concluding thrust.
ID:149904 BD: 8 +6-2= HIT

[H:0:] Mari    - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 93/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 0/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1847/1850 | EN: 141/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/2]

«Cerberus» HP: 0/500 - 431/500 431/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY] -75

Edited by Mari

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP]

Action: Sharpness > Mari [-11 EN]

[H:2] Mari    - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 93/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 2/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1812/1850 | EN: 131/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/1]

«Cerberus» HP: 0/500 - 362/500 362/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY]

Head 2 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149905 results: MOB: 2+3+1=6 - Hit! 175-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]
Head 3 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149906 results: MOB: 5+3+1=9 - Hit! 175-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]

Abilities:

"Happy to," Shield said, running around the back side of Cerberus, holding his blade out to charge another buff. The hellish hound spun in place, skidding to a halt as it came face to face and face to face with him once more. Swinging his sword, Shield volleyed the glowing vermilion orb of wispy light over the top of Cerberus' remaining heads. The sphere curved as it flew, homing in on Mari.

Trusting that it would find its target, Shield turned his eyes back to the foe before him. "Don't worry big guy. I haven't forgotten about you." Cerberus let out a deep bark from one head as the second growled angrily. Then all at once, they lashed out once again. Each head sunk its teeth into one of the tank's legs, chomping and gnawing at the limb with their jagged teeth, but even as they did, the damage dealt to them dwarfed the actual damage they inflicted. "Little different from our first fight, isn't it, pup?" The beast fell back several feet, flexing both of its tongues, pushing them out of either mouth as though it had eaten something painful or unpleasant, rearing up to paw at its mouths.

Edited by Shield

Mari caught the shimmering crimson ball with the tip of her spear - the needle like blade pierced the energy and as it settled down on her weapon it shimmered with another sharpness upgrade.  "Thanks!" She called out to him, although it felt like she was just shouting into the Cerberus' rear end. Mari pursed her lips in a frown. Now. That won't do.

As once again, the two headed beast attacked Shield Mari activated her charge skill, running in low with both hands gripping her new weapon. As the Cerberus lowered itself to attack Mari sprung up onto its back, dragging the spear across his spine before thrusting it hard into the second head. The Cerberus yelped as the head dissipated beneath Mari's feet. She fell, a little less gracefully than she would have liked, and landed on her knees with an 'Oof' in front of shield. "See,  walking embarrassment." Mari jested as she pushed herself back up to her feet.

Two. That was two heads down already. This was...going unbelievably quick. So this is how it should be, when people communicate and work together rather than run in haphazardly. A part of Mari wished Baldur could see her now, but another part knew that was a wrong and idealistic wish. What did it really matter who thought what? Even if he were here, his focus would have been on the battle. As it should be.

Mari shook the thoughts from her head. "Right." She said as she hefted the spear over her shoulder. "Just one to go." Mari said with a lopsided grin. "After this I think I might have to jump in that frozen lake by my cottage."

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+67 HP]
Action: Charged Dimension Stampede 22+3+5=30 x 15= 450-75=375
ID:149907  BD: 7+6-2=HIT

[H:2] Mari    - HP 1400/1430  | EN: 77/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 1/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |-30 Thn
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1812/1850 | EN: 131/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/1]

«Cerberus» HP: 0/500 - 362/500 362/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY] -375

Abilities:

Edited by Mari

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+92 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP]

Action: Parry [-5 EN]

[H:3] Mari    - HP 1400/1430  | EN: 77/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 1/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 126/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/1]

«Cerberus» HP: 0/500 - 0/500 293/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY]

Head 3 attack vs. Shield - ID# 149913 results: MOB: 5+3+1=9 - Hit! 175/2-181=1 dmg [THN - 69 dmg]

Abilities:

"I will not be joining you for that dip," Shield rejoindered, scoffing under his breath at the mere thought of that kind of plunge. "As unpleasant as this is, I would much rather be too hot than too cold any day." Looking up at the once great Cerberus, there were now a few missing parts. Granted the head which remained was still intimidating, but the spell had worn off, as had most of the danger. "The real worry was being hit by three attacks at once that all bypass armor. Now, there's only one attack left, and even if it did go through my armor..." Shield raised his sword, taking a defensive stance now that Mari didn't need immediate buffing, "I'm ready for it."

Cerberus saw the change in posture and took it for the challenge that it was. It bounded forward, slapping a paw down on one of Shield's shoulders, which Shield immediately swiped aside with his sword arm, and biting at the defender. Having lost the strong base it was trying to used, the attack failed to deliver even the same ferocity it had had moments before. The same was not true for Shield's defenses, which took a chunk out of the last head's remaining health. "I'm making your job too easy, Mari!"

Edited by Shield

"I'd tell you to just let it go but I think the one saving grace about this place is not hearing that song." Mari jested. She knew Shield was a father, and whilst she wasn't sure if he had daughters or sons - the movie was popular. Insanely so. And the song, annoying. Also insanely so. "See that's where we differ, I'd much rather be too cold than too hot." Mari grinned. "I think Baldur would..." She paused. Her smile fell ever so slightly. Mari swallowed and with a plastered smile continued. "I think he'd agree with me, cold is far better than the heat."

There was only one left. Shield told her he was making her job easy - "Better than makin' my life hard." She retorted as she Charged forward, veering to the left to a nearby boulder so she could use it as a spring board. Mari sprung up, and with a somersault followed by a deep jab into the Cerberus' skull, he exploded. Mari landed on her feet this time as she hit the ground. "Ooof..." Mari wiped the slick of palm sweat on her scarf. "That was really easy though. So thanks for the help." Mari said with a wry grin.

"So..." Mari said as she picked up one of the Etchings for herself, then one for Shield - tossing it to him. "How do you think my first venture with the Spear went?"

@Shield

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+67 HP

Action:  Dancing Spear  30 x 14 =  420 -75= 345
ID:149964 BD: 6

[H:3] Mari    - HP 1400/1430  | EN: 72/140 | DMG: 19 + 3 +3 (sharpness 0/2 turns left)| MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  +2| BH: 67  |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 | -30 THN -6EN
[H:7] Shield - HP: 1813/1850 | EN: 126/176 | DMG: 2 | EVA: -1 | MIT: 181 | BH:92 | HB: 48 | THN: 69 | ENV: 18/4 [BRN - 36/1]

«Cerberus» HP: 0/500 - 0/500 0/500 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 75 | THN: 30 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 | BRN: [Any Hit] 36/2 | PHS | [STATUS IMMUNITY]  -345

Abilities:

Edited by Mari
Spoiler

Searching for Materials - ID# 149990 results: Loot: 2 [0 Materials found]

"Well, I will say that we were well prepared, but even so, still fortunate," Shield said, giving a nod and accepting the quest item from Mari. "These took almost exactly the same amount of time and work as the same quest with Beat not so long ago. This is a vast improvement, and I'd say well worth the trade-off from the old weapon you used to sport." He swiped through his menu, storing away the quest drop and swapping out his defensive damage equipment for his Seeking Aura earring. "Let's go ahead and get you out of this heat."

He led the way out of the passage, the open air already providing a break from some of the heat within the volcano's depths. It was satisfying seeing a fellow guidlie and fast friend improving the success in her role so profoundly and so quickly. It was rare to see such turnarounds, but with a little strategy, it was amazing to see what was possible. After dropping Mari off at the edge of the safe zone, he teleported down to Taft and made his way home, keeping his pace brisk. He had some training of his own to do, and he knew exactly where to find the slimes to help him.

[QUEST REWARDS]

[Shield]
7,700 Col
8 SP [4 quest, 1 page, 1 quarantine, 2 mega slime farm]
Cerberus Etching

[Mari]
200 Col
2 SP [1 page, 1 quarantine]
Cerberus Etching

Edited by Shield