[PP|F1] <<Earning a Living: Artisan>> Playing it Safe

Chase was silently walking around the streets of the Town of Beginnings, looking around the shops to get a good feel for what each item looked like. Appearance certainly wasn't much to go by, but... He was still sporting his starter gear, so anything looked better really. Let alone how they felt and how much stronger they probably were. "... Probably...", he thought again, realising he knew all too little about SAO, as well as RPGs in general. He knew he couldn't go out of the fields on his own and would rather go out with company, specifically Shay, but that's why he wasn't questing any. It was then that he stopped outside of the Master Artisan's shop, peeking inside and giving the whole matter some thought.

"So that's like accessories. I can make money by crafting and selling them. Maybe I can help people in the frontlines like this, too.". That was all he needed to ponder before he entered the shop and abrasively asked the NPC how to craft. Of course, he was met with a quest flag, blinking a few times and reading the requirements. He hesitated at first, thinking he'd be in danger, but he remembered the peaceful gathering he was doing the other day alongside Shay. "If I see a monster, I can run. I can gather materials from the ground to keep myself out of risk. She won't be mad if I do.", his words echoed in the back of his mind before he accepted the quest, scratching the back of his head and turning around, opening his menu to check his inventory once more before he exited the shop and made way for the fields. "... What am I even looking for in here..?"

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 1
HP: 20/20
EN: 2/2

Stats:
Damage: 4

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<2HSS "Plain Broadsword">> (Vanity/2HSS)
Armor: <<Light Armor "Hard Leather Armor">> (Vanity/Light Armor)

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floor 1! been too long since she had set foot in 'noob town', a term she was proud of having baptized the starting city with. Usually she'd have no business here except for some shopping... and a certain NPC. The master tailor, seamstress Diana was one of the few NPCs that Ariel like to visit once in a while. She thought the blonde all that she knew and throughout the years, she was grateful to her as the craft she learned siverd her well throughout this time. Lately however, Ariel didn't get much chance to practice her art of making clothing. Her time being put to better use in acquiring fundings for her future estate.

So after meeting with lady Diana earlier, the blonde got an earful about how she should always practice and despite being one of the top frontliners; she found herself running an errand for her tailor NPC senpai. It didn't bother her that much though, as she was pretty well accustomed with doing something for her everytime she came to visit. Today it looks like it would be no different. She had reached her target location in relatively fast time, already aware with the general geography of the shopping district. She entered the master artisan's shop, taking note of a certain blue haired player that had just finished their business with the NPC. "Rinly oji-san!" she chimed in loudly, greeting the craftsman. "I have a package from lady Diana, she said you needed these delivered and also sends her regards!" 

She waited patiently as he verified the package and made a curt nod, the without a word began working "I see you're as busy as ever!" she added as she left shop, as fast as she entered it. She would notice that the blue clad player from before was in front of her, scratching their head while presumably reading some quest details before heading outside town. Ariel took the time to eye their gear from behind: "Will he be okay?" she asked herself and decided to trail behind the player as they made their way towards the fields, blending in with the crowd thank to her hiding skill.

ID# 155515 LD: 7+2 =9 Stealth Rating

Spoiler

Stats:

• 1,570 HP (77 x20 +30[athletics])
  • 154 Energy
  • 79 Mitigation (25 +54[armor])
  • +4 Accuracy (1[precision] +1[weapon] +2[trinket])
  • +1 Evasion (1[Sprint & Acrobatics])
  • 19 Base Damage (1[base] +7[weapon skill] +1[athletics] +9[familiar] +1[ferocity])
  • +4 Fallen Damage (Successful attack rolls of 6-8 (before modifiers) add fallen damage to your total base damage.)
  • +48 HP Holy Blessing (After taking damage, heal [8 per slot * Tier] HP at the beginning of your next turn. Can only trigger once per round.)
  • +78 HP Battle Healing (While in combat, recover 5% of your maximum HP (rounded down) at the beginning of your turn.)
  • +5 LD +3 LD more when searching for sub-dungeons: 15 posts CD and labyrinths3 posts CD)
  • Absolute Accuracy (Attack rolls of 1 no longer automatically miss. Gain +1 to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to trigger a critical hit.)
  • Taunt +1 Hate generated from Howl, Focused Howl, and successful attacks.)
  • Keen (After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this)

Skills: Pic at 510x450 Downscaled to 385, right side alignment

Equipment: 88a67b0507450f5e2511c7a6b39d587c.png

≪Shi’s Talon# 134787≫ ≪Leonidas' Strength#151568≫ ≪Finger Claw Filigree# 151884-1≫
T2: Absolute Accuracy | Keen | Fallen T3: Holy Blessing | Holy Blessing | Mitigation | Mitigation T1: Accuracy | Accuracy | Taunt
A long two handed assault spear made of polished maple. Its tip is a brilliant golden colour and is surrounded by tufts of white feathers.
A blood red cape with a black inverted V design in the middle of the back, if worn as light armor; one of the trademark items worn by the Spartans that fought until the last man.
An intricate golden chassis to be wrapped around one's finger. It's incredible sturdy, sharp and shiny, capable of aggravating enemies with a well-placed redirection of light.

Inventory:  

• ≪Basic Teleport [Crystal]≫
  • ≪[T1] Blank Dungeon Map≫

Buffs:

• None

Edited by Ariel - The Crowned Lion

As he walked towards the exit of the Town of Beginnings, he looked around and furrowed his eyebrows, feeling like he was being followed. He stopped right in front of the gate, turning around and looking for a bit before spotting Ariel, his eyes sharpening as he took a battle ready stance. Needless to say, not only were they in a safe zone, he didn't even reach for his sword. Not that if he had, he'd know how to use it. "The hell..? What do I do?", he thought, pulling his back foot just a bit further, gulping and staring her down.

For how battle ready he seemed though, he hadn't a clue what to do and wasn't planning on attacking, even in the safezone. "I can run if I have to, but I don't know the town's alleys and pathways.", he continued his trail of thought, his eyes running up and down her appearance. It was obvious his fight or flight instinct had kicked in as he began to sweat, hesitantly asking the obviously levelled player. "Why are you following me?", the stiffened male snarled, more scared than angry.

As she adressed her, the blonde raised her hands at shoulder level, as if he had a gun pointed at her. "Easy there tiger, I mean you no harm!" she admitted with a serene smile on her face, noticing how he tensed up after discovering that he was followed. She initially questioned the subtlety of the Hiding skill but admitted that she had no idea what to use it, as in the few times she tried it resulted in her discovery almost immediate. 'I must be doing something wrong.' she though but decided to coin that train of thoughts for another time.

She had to deal with the current predicament now that she had been discovered. "I couldn't help but notice you when I was at the master artisan's shop." she let out a sigh and lowered her hand, placing them on her hips. "You looked lost so I thought I should keep an eye on ya." she took a break and eyed his attire once more from top to bottom. "I noticed the low level gear and got worried when i saw you heading towards the fields outside noob town." she lightly gasped, thinking that she let that last expression skip without thinking.

His face, his body, even his speech kept being just as tense, glaring right into her eyes like a wounded animal would. "Noob town? This is the Town of Beginnings... How do I know you weren't following me with the intent to kill?", he growled and stayed silent for a moment before finishing his question. "If you wanted to help, why did you try to ambush me instead of offering?", Chase's suspicion of others showed more and more, although this time Ariel certainly hadn't helped any.

"So my gear's low level shows... Am I that easy of a target then?", he began to panic more and more, gritting his teeth before he asked her once more angrily. "How can you tell my gear's level?". The questions just wouldn't stop. One after the other, Chase grew all the more curious and confused by the minute. "She looks too strong. Too strong to even try. Damn...". He felt like he couldn't move a single inch, his eyes locked with hers. Had he talked with anything but NPCs before deciding to start acting on his own, he wouldn't be having such a tense encounter. Maybe he'd already know how to wield a weapon and protect himself, even now. If the crowd began to disappear and it was just them... "Snap out of it, damn it..!"

She liked him... not in that way, though. It would be better said that she liked the way he thought and how cautious he was about the situation. You don't see that in someone often, she'd meet a lot of people that were brave and easily accepted help from anyone. The blonde can't recall meeting many of them a second time, she didn't know for sure but she always assumed the worst. Like this guy was doing right now- "Yeah.. town of beginnings... you're right.. hehe" she added, smiling awkwardly. "One at the time... I can't keep up with you." at this point her hands were waving in front of her, gently rocking up and down like you'd do to have someone slow down.

"I'm sorry ok? All I can do is give you my word that the thought never cross my mind and I'm offering it right now." she stopped her hand movement and brought her index finger  to her cheek pointing at her right silver eye. "I'm a tailor you see? been one for a long while now and at some point I was one of the best" she added the last part with a smirk before going on:"And I helped many players gear up during that time. You can say I have a keen eye for it!" she decided to show him a little trick. Both her normally silver iris flashed green as she performed a stealth check on their surroundings using her Searching skill. The Night Vision changing her eyes' shape in the same time, she had green eyes for a moment aking to that of a feline in the dark. Despite his rough demeanour, the blonde replied with a casual air a tiny bit of playfulness in her actions.

Seeing her reveal some sort of ability put him just a tad bit at ease. If she could activate something like that, she definitely could cut him down in a moment, had she wanted to. Although still uncertain of her true motives and character, he took a deep breath and pulled back into a normal stance, opening his menu and looking for the party option. Seeing as the only time he'd used it prior was for Shay, and she was the one to have invited him, he had no clue how to operate it. "... Invite me to a party. My name's ChaseR.", he grumbled and crossed his arms, still looking at her suspiciously.

"She's a frontliner then..? There's nothing stopping her from lying to me though. I can't fully trust her until she invites me to a party. Then I can see her name too.". It became more and more apparent that regardless of her behavior, Chase was too careful to let his guard down at any point, tense just from being trapped in SAO for all this time. Relative to before, yes, he was relaxed, but... That didn't quite tell much. His uptight posture, the crossed arms, the sharp gaze. "I'll be sticking close to the entrance to gather materials. If you try anything, I can run back in the town and shout for help.", he explained letting out a deep sigh and focusing his eyes on the crystal above her avatar. "I still wonder what that's for... Regardless, she won't be able to even think about attacking me like this. Or else she'll be punished by the other players, for sure."

The blonde let out a giggle, deciding to reply first to his final statement. "If I tried anything the NPC guards would have my hide!" she said jokingly while she was fidgeting with the HUD in front of her. She could notice through the semi transparent panel that his gaze was fixed on her, better said above her head and she'd new exactly one. "Yeah, when that thing goes anything but green they come to you like bees to a flower." she added, pretty content with the analogy she just made. Though these past days she had seen plenty of people with orange cursors... what was up with that? well, she knew how they came about but shook her head, not wanting to think about it; or why hers was still green.

With one final gesture the invite was sent and before he could fully read her in game nickname she started presenting herself. "The name's Kayla Ariel D'sole, happy to meet ya Chase!" she chimed with a beaming smile. She was thrilled at the thought of making him one of her first batch students, she already liked him so he'd passed the preliminary criteria; which was mostly her subjectively picking people."So judging by what you said, I'm guessing you're doing the profession quest?" despite asking for confirmation, she was sure that was the case. She put two and two together after seeing him walk out of that specific NPC's shop then immediately heading to gather materials.

Chase accepted the party request, looking at the top left to read her IGN as well. "Ariel.", he repeated in his head before giving a nod to himself. Getting back to her, he heard her final question and shook his head. "No, I'm gathering materials so that the Artisan teaches me how to make trinkets.", he said and then one thing became apparent- any game term, bar few, flew right over his head all the same. Not a single clue what profession referred to or where to see it on his menu, none at all. "How does your thing become 'anything but green'? I've never seen it not be green before.", he asked while turning his back to her, beginning to slowly strut towards the fields. 

Truth be told, he didn't even know NPC Guards existed in the area, if at all. He always stayed so close to the plaza in front of the Black Iron Palace he'd never been this far out in the town to begin with. "So there's guards... Will they keep me safe? Maybe they're too weak if she's speaking the truth."His social ineptitude had already shown quite a bit, but it was especially apparent with how little he spoke and responded to even her introducing herself. "She's a master tailor, she said. So she must need materials too. I won't give her any I find though.", his inner monologue went on and on. He looked over his shoulder, making sure that she was following right behind him.

"Yeah, that's what a profession is..." she added, looking at him with slight confusion. How would he not know that since it is a term used even outside the game... what kind of shelter life did this dude had. She shook her head a couple of times and decided to add on: "after you finish the quest he's given you: 'gather materials and make an item for him afterwards', You'll be awarded the Artisan title and be able to make sculptures, trinkets and what not item under the Artisan profession." she rubbed the back of her head: "The quest will also unlock for you a.. free standard place where you can set up a shop; to make items and sell them for profit." she hoped that she provided a coherent answer for him.

"This color crystal cursor shows a player's status according to the game's crime system." she let out a smile. "Players start out with green crystals, which means they are law abiding citizens more or less." Her expression changed for the first time in the short period that they meet, showing a more serious side of Ariel. "Orange cursor means that a player had done something the crime system deemed as wel... a crime. The color change could come from something like stealing... to something like using your weapons against another player or NPC with a green cursor. Depending on the gravity the cursor might return to green after a while when you steal or accidentally cut someone with your weapon." she hesitated for a moment, her gaze casting downwards as she continued. "It stays orange permanently when you kill someone." by now her tone was somber and she realized it. Hoping he didn't scare him she added with a forced smile." So if you see a orange player stay away from them understood? they're usually trouble!

Chase's blank expression didn't change once throughout her explanation, and she only got a sigh out of him once she was finished talking. "So if you were orange, you'd be dangerous to me. A murderer.", he grumbled and clenched his fist just slightly, before turning to face forwards again and entering the fields. He began to look around the grass for materials, staying silent before another question came to mind. Whilst he searched, he asked her calmly. "Can someone break into my shop if I'm not there? And can I keep the plot forever, even if I don't set up my shop right away?"

As he searched, he saw something glow in the grass and picked it up, storing it into his inventory with a small smile that quickly faded away. He had more questions he wanted to ask her and it showed in his expression, as blank as it was, but it didn't matter. If she was a tailor and he had no clue who she was, there were little chances of meeting again in the future. It didn't matter if she was on the frontlines or not right now anyways. By the time he got to them, she'd definitely be there too. "...", he remained silent, waiting for her to answer his questions as he reflected back on what she said about orange player cursors. "Murderers... Even here."

Spoiler

ID# 155541
LD 17

Materials Found: 1
Total Materials: 1/5

Edited by ChaseR

She followed the younger boy to his chosen farming area. Once again she used her search skill to check their surroundings; handy skill this one, while looking for tier one materials wasn't her intention they still were highlighted as she looked around then. "Lucky you mine's green, eh?" The coast was clear, her search didn't ping any person that would be using stealth nearby. What did she expect.. there weren't many deranged individuals like her that liked to stalk others once in a while, either that or it was someone that managed to evade her scans. It's not like it didn't happen before and she learned to keep an eye out at all time.

"The plot is forever, you can even change locations as more floors get unlocked." She'd done this before a couple of time so she delivered the lines with confidence. "It's airtight secure! You're always in control of who enters your shop and your home. There is a pickpocket skill but it doesn't affect player owned structures. The worst someone can do is eavesdrop through walls or doors but that only apply through thin ones and it doesn't penetrate more than from one room to another." It seems that even after all this time, the kids was lacking in some of the basic knowledge and understanding about how this world know. reinforcing the blonde's desire to help him how she could. "You missed one!" she chimed, after seeing him walk away from the spot. She pointed at the 2nd one's location near the bluenette.

ID# 155543 LD: 16+5 Material Found!

When she was speaking, he'd turned his head to look at her and nodded along the tidbits of information she said, before going back to looking for materials. "You don't suck as much as I expected. Nice.", he commented as he let his eyes scan the fields nearby. "If she wasn't green, she couldn't have made it here. If the guards apprehend orange players, that means I'm safe in towns. And there's always so many people around that attacking someone must grab the attention of the guards right away. They're NPCs after all."

It was then he realised he'd completely missed her just now, looking over to where she pointed to see a material on the ground. "You can have it. The quest is for me to find the materials myself, I can't get help from others.", he stated before going back to looking for materials himself. He could be incredibly oblivious and stick to wordings to an absurd, at times, extent. That paired with his wanting to manage tasks in this world on his own, led to beautiful misunderstandings on his part such as this one. Needless to say, he himself found nothing at all, causing a sigh out of him before he mumbled. "I suck at speaking. You don't."

Of course, when he realised he couldn't get the material, he looked back at Ariel's find and eyed it, shaking his head to himself before he looked at the quest window. "You know how it goes, it takes a while... It's mostly luck after all.", he tried to ease himself, shrugging it off. 

Spoiler

ID# 155544
LD 2

Materials Found: 0
Total Materials: 1/5

Edited by ChaseR

She raised her eyebrows, slightly amused: "If that's how you compliment a lady, I would never want to upset you out of fear of what I might hear from you." She watched him deny the item she pointed at, then moments later look at it again and dismiss it once more. Making a few steps, she picked it up herself with a later though of handing it over after they got to know a little better. It's been too long and even if she started crafting again, tier 1 mats would not be what she needed except if she wore to make items for low levels.
"You don't need to be such a stick in the mud!" protested the blonde. "Almost all of the quests until now are designed to be taken with a group. There's a limit on how far one will get alone." She exhumed confidence, as if she had learned that lesson firsthand.

"Hey progress! The first step to correcting an issue is admitting you have a problem. Looks like you already crossed that bridge." she claimed after hearing him correct himself. The blonde wasn't actively searching like him, things just... came to her attention. One of the perks of having skills that enhanced your senses. She had spotted another item that could be used as a material not too far from him. "Are you having fun yet?" she asked with a sheepish smile, resting herself against a nearby fence as she continued to observe him.

ID# 155547  LD: 13+5 Material Found!

Chase simply listened to her, although it was as if everything she said went in from one ear and came right out from the other. He paid little attention and made few efforts to even reply in the first place before he looked up at her. "The quests are to learn. If I let you help, I won't learn. I can't make it to the frontlines like that.", he answered before going back to searching, letting out a sigh. Of course, what he knew about the quests was all second hand knowledge passed onto him from Shay. "... Be careful. If monsters come, you'll be in danger.", he stated and looked at her with a slightly worried look, searching the grass but holding one hand on his sheathed blade's hilt all the same. Had he used it before? No.

Was that going to stop him now? Definitely. "Even if she is that strong... A cut from a monster weaker than you remains a cut. She could be in trouble if she gets attacked by anything, right?", he pondered, never having engaged or seen anybody engage in combat before. While the trail of thoughts went on and he gave quick glances her way every now and then, he picked a material up from the ground and put it in his inventory again, now having collected almost half of what he needed. "Looks like I'm getting good at this."

Spoiler

ID# 155548
LD 18

Total Materials: 2/5

Edited by ChaseR

"The front lines eh?" she slowly muttered. So that is his intention... well she could guess, there aren't many reasons for one to get out of the safe zones. Fame, friends or loved ones, the desire to get stronger... sooner or later all of them aimed towards the latest unlocked floor. Not all of them could reach it, even less could remained there. It was a truth she was too well accustomed with. "Are you planning on becoming a paladin? because that's quite the noble goal you have set for yourself, to step forward and fight for the rest of us that won't take arms ourselves." she asked, adding a little bit of theatrics to the last part. 

"Don't worry about me honey, this girl can take care of herself.This is afterall just the 1st floor out of 100." a lopsided smile surfacing on her features. "But are you sure you really want that? I heard that there are a several orange players up there!" It was all dandy and fine to have high aspirations but the blonde judged that it was best if players would be made aware of the reality of things as soon as possible. She was curious on what his reaction would be: there were two scenarios in her head; which one will he choose.

ID# 155553  LD: 7+5 No Material!

Chase shook his head as she spoke sarcastically, seeming completely unhurt and even uncaring of her comment. "No, I'm not doing it for the ones that don't want to fight.", he pointed out, being honest with himself and her all the same. He took his sword out with his offhand and looked at it, silent while thoughts raced through his head. Lifting his head to look at the knight in the eyes, his face got serious. Not tense, neither relaxed. Just serious. "I bought the game with a friend. I don't want her to come looking for me and get trapped in here too."

His resolve was there, and it wouldn't falter no matter the conditions he'd have to face on his way to the frontlines, and even there. "I don't care if there's murderers. I'm not planning on dying. As long as it takes, I'll join the frontlines and clear the game.", he finished and let his eyes back down on the ground. The bluehead slowly put the sword back in its place, taking a deep breath and glancing around the fields. Even if no materials were in sight, it still looked so real, despite being just a clump of code and data. "Without Lily, I don't want to stay here longer than I have to."

Spoiler

ID# 155554
LD 4

Edited by ChaseR

"Subarashii konjo!" muttered the blonde, the game's translation working its magic as to display a translation message that read "Excellent guts!" though the words were correct, it wouldn't have the same meaning in english as the expression would in the blonde's native tongue. She decided to overlook the real life aspect and explain that the authorities would most likely be aware of their condition and would not allow anyone else to use a nerve gear. There was always the chance she was wrong and she was in no position to talk about that topic.

She focused on things she had firsthand experience however with his later statements. "It's always a girl isn't it." she lightly chuckled, hoping he wouldn't think she was mocking him. "This right here is one of the first steps on the road to reunite you with your lily." she chimed with glee referring to her name as flower, lightly typing her foot on the ground below them. "But I'd suggest you become a little more flexible at least. I'll reiterate again that alone, you're gonna walk a long way to reach the top. Longer than necessary."

Chase silently read the translation message, nodding slowly and listening to what she had to say. Her words didn't make that much of a difference to him though. He already knew just how long it'd take to get anything done alone, let alone that the floor bosses couldn't be beat just because "he wanted to so he would do it". Will wasn't enough to get you by in a world like this. "She's just a friend. A childhood one. I don't want her to die, especially not because of me. She's like a sister to me.", he explained, not because she was teasing him but because he hadn't told anyone other than Shay up to now. As antisocial as he was, he had to get it out of his system as well every now and then.

"I'll team up, but I have to be strong enough first. I can't expect everyone to sacrifice themselves when I can't do the same. But I won't die.", he stated again. No materials seemed to have yet spawned, but that was alright. Talking every once in a while, however bad he could be at it, helped him unwind. "... Don't sneak up on others like that next time. I thought you'd try to kidnap or attack me.", he changed the subject, fully knowledgeable that she wouldn't be able to change his opinion on the matter and he wouldn't be able to explain his own position on the matter properly either.

Spoiler

ID# 155556
LD 1

Materials Found: 0

Edited by ChaseR

If this is how he normally acted in real life around her, Ariel didn't knew if she had to pity the girl. She was certain that if she would join such a game for him like he said, most likely she wouldn't think of him of 'just a friend' as well. "yare yare..." she softly sighted while shaking her head, stopping that train of thoughts as it wasn't her place to comment on it. "I'll keep that in mind next time." she added with a wink, sticking the tip of her tongue out like a kid despite being the older of the two. If one were to listen to their conversation without seeing them, they would probably think it was the other way around. The blonde knew that somehow she would become less serious as the number of the floor decreased and would attribute that to the confidence that she didn't shy from showing.

"That's an upstanding way of thinking and acting." she replied trustfully, once again showing a glimpse of her more serious side. "I'm curious how long will you be able to keep that up on the long run." Somehow she felt a little relieved to see that his head was in the right place, many went outside the safe zones with the mentality that its a game they would become the main hero and save the rest like in every shonen manga/anime. Many would crack after being faced with the harsh reality, never to leave the safe heavens again. Chase however seemed to break that mold and be cautious from the beginning.. "Too cautious..." muttered the blonde, thinking she could do probably something about that. She spotted another material nearby, if he were to follow her gaze, he would probably notice it as well.

ID# 155547  LD: 15+5 Material Found!