[F01 - PP] <<The Fourth Lesson>> "Fishing for Compliments"

"I really wish there were more than just fields and forests around here. It's basically all I've ever had the chance to see, and it's getting pretty boring. When I put on the NerveGear, I was hoping I would be transported to a magical world, one that would let me experience my wildest fantasies", she huffed slightly in dissatisfaction, "But honestly, it's only really reminded me of home" Elora had taken to her usual pass time activity while traveling, which was kicking a pebble down the path that they walked. This one winded around a river that lead them to the Northern lake region. It was a place that she had already visited twice before, leaving it little opportunity to excite her with anything unexpected. "And that's not to say it's making me homesick!", she added defensively, "I'm just ready to move onto another floor and see something new, you know?"

5cc6716a9d22d712d4535e35c08cce43.thumb.jpg.cbc31efb4735a4775659be9a8247d38a.jpg

Spoiler

LEVEL - 12

HP 240

EN - 24

DMG - 6 

ACC - 1

SKILLS

Non-combat:

Passive:

Combat:

Weapon Skills: 2H Assault Spear R1 (+4 base damage)

Blast (2 Energy +2 per target hit) - A pair of horizontal sweeping strokes that hits multiple targets.

Straight (2 Energy) - Begins with the player bending their knees before thrusting forward with a singular powerful strike covering the gap between you and your opponent.

INVENTORY

Weapons: [Equipped] 2H Assault Spear (Rare)

Damage - Gain +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot

Accuracy - Gain +(1 per slot) to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit

Rank 1:

[x1 AoE] Sonic Charge (1 Energy +2 per target hit) - A forward thrust which explodes energy at the end of the move.

[x2 Stun] Twin Thrust (5 Energy) - A pair of quick thrusts aimed at the user's knees to immobilize them.

[x2] Heft (2 Energy) - Lift the heavy end of the spear diagonally across your opponent from the ground, cutting their torso with the tip.

Rank 2:

[x3] Fatal Thrust (3 Energy) - A single powerful thrust.

[x4 AoE] Hellish Twice (4 Energy +2 per target hit) - A pair of alternating sweeping motions which damages multiple targets.

[x4] Mighty Charge (4 Energy) - Charge your opponent fiercely and impale them with your spearhead. Your opponent is then lifted up before being slammed into 

the ground from the momentum of your maneuver.

Rank 3:

[x5] Revolve Arts (5 Energy) - Two roundhouse kicks followed by two sweeping strokes, concluded with one final thrust.

[x6] Dancing Spear (6 Energy) - An acrobatic combo involving sweeps, pole vaulting with kicks and a concluding thrust.

[x6 AoE] Trip Expand (6 Energy +2 per target hit) - An attack with several 360 spinning attacks that cover a wide area.

Equipment:

[EQUIPPED] "Justicar’s Vambraces" (T1 Rare trinket: KEEN 1 | ACC 1)
Acquisition ID: #152309 | Identification ID: #152736 & #152737
A pair of hardened steel vambraces each engraved in minute script with the first one hundred names on the Monument of Life.

[EQUIPPED] "Auspicious Gi" (T1 Rare Light Armor: Light Momentum 2)
Acquisition ID: #152782 | Identification ID: #153315, 153316
Commonly worn by novices during the initial stages of martial arts training, this particular garment is made in the Japanese cut using fine white cotton reinforced with heavier than normal thread, enabling its user to exert greater force without the risk of embarrassing fashion failures.

T1 amulet (EVA 1)

"Selective Deflection" (Vanity Light Armor) 

Items: x8 T1 Healing Potions (heals 50 HP), x1 Uncommon DMG Potion (+1 DMG), x1 T1 Overhealth Potion (+50 Overhealth]), 13 Tier 1 Materials 

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Elora

"You'll have your chance soon enough," Freyd replied, amused by her frustrated enthusiasm.  "This is the last of the lesson quests.  Once it's done, we can deal with the Venomous Warg on the second floor.  Everything opens up beyond that point."  Something had definitely shifted in his mood, and for the better.  There was less tension in his shoulders.  He stood straighter, like a heavy burden was slowly lifting.  

"This one's not too bad.  We help old'Pete catch his swordfish, then head off to celebrate.  You'll have earned your stripes, so to speak, and will have enough experience to check out the other floors.  Just be cautious.  There are challenges on some of the lower levels that can rival the types of fiends founds on the front lines."  He nodded reassuringly, but his eyes were checking hers to ensure that she had understood the warning.

"Don't be careless, and you'll see some of the wonders you were seeking.  I've developed a fondness for floor 5, despite the heat.  Persi and I have fond memories there."  A small blue shadow raised her head from behind his left shoulder, looking at him skeptically.  "Okay, well, maybe not exclusively fond, but there are some really good ones that overshadow the rest."  Freyd rolled his eyes at how touchy the mongoose could be.

Spoiler

Name: Freyd
Level: 33
HP: 660/660
EN: 66/66

Stats:
Damage: 14
Mitigation: 44
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
KEEN:1
HLY:2
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T2-LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Divinity's Wait (T1 Mit 3)*5
Liquor of Light (T1 DMG 3)*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild: n/a

Wedding Ring: n/a

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Her eyes hadn't met his, but instead, continued to trace the pebble's trajectory down the road. "I'm sure they can't be that tough. Especially if --" She stopped kicking it to look up at him with a mischievous grin, "Well, I was gonna say especially if I have someone like you to help me fight them, but I guess I really don't know what you're made of yet. Am I going to see a fight from you anytime soon?" Of course, she hadn't meant the comment as a way to 'call him out' on not contributing during the previous battles. She was aware that he had undertaken the role of a spectator so that she could take care of the beasts on her own. His confidence in her likelihood to prevail made her happy. It's nice to feel independent because he trusts me, not because he doesn't care what could happen to me.

"Floor 5? Yeah, I've been there once" He hadn't asked. "It was waaay too hot for my liking. I prefer the mild climates" She seemed to sulk a little bit. "Guess that's why I always see fields and trees." 

Laughter met her jibe about not pulling his weight in combat.  She knew full well that he wasn't there to do her work for her.

"There will be plenty of time for me to show off later," he shot back.   "Perhaps when we're attacked by a school of ravenous guppies."  He pointed to the crystal blue lake ahead.  "And don't be hard on the trees and fields.  There are plenty of those around, even on the more dangerous floors.  There's nothing wrong with taking the time to appreciate the things that bring you joy."  He grew silent after that, as if pondering his own words.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Elora.  You're just as capable as anyone else here, and have the same potential.  Seek it out, and everyone will realize how amazing you can be."  

Freyd called out to Pete, greeting him and introducing his companion as 'the lovely Elora,' ushering her forward to trigger the next stage of the quest.

"Hmph", she snorted at his guppy remark, "Just because I tactfully maneuvered away from some boar pups doesn't mean I'm afraid of small creatures!" 

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Elora.  You're just as capable as anyone else here, and have the same potential.  Seek it out, and everyone will realize how amazing you can be."

Where did THAT come from? Freyd turned his attention to Pete and began to converse with him. Bastard. He can't just bring something like that up out of nowhere and not give me a chance to respond. Whatever, it's probably for the best. The word "potential" had made it's way into his dialogue again. She didn't want everyone in SAO to have the same potential as her. That would only make it more difficult for her to stand out among them. The real world was oversaturated with people who were more gifted than her, and a lot of them didn't even need to put in the work to be rewarded for it. But when I don't succeed in one thing, then it's treated as a punishment instead of a lesson. It isn't fair...

Her focus snapped back to the encounter the moment Freyd introduced her. "Yes -- I'm Elora!" The lovely...? She turned to briefly narrow her eyes at him as if to say: Really?

"Well lovely lassy, are ya gonna get yar head out of the clouds, or are ya gonna wait for them to set in while we're on open water? If we don't get a move on soon, there might be a storm before we're finished!" The old man could have been wagging a finger at her and it would have been fitting. Instead, he hobbled over to a small fishing boat tethered to a dock nearby.

"I don't like him!", barked Elora once he was out of ear-shot. 

Elora-Upset.gif.8561670a64246c46e96b6e62248f1a57.gif

Edited by Elora

Freyd just shook his head and rolled his eyes, making an obvious show that petulance wasn't going to get her far with him.  All she had done was manage to trigger his sense of mischief.

"Hold up, Pete," he called out.  "I'll get the oars and row us out.  You need to spend as much time as possible regaling Elora with fish tales!  Make especially sure you tell her all about Blinky, and how he loved your pastel landscapes with lots of fields and trees!"  Freyd could practically feel the visual daggers targeting the back of his head.  Whatever.  She was going to encounter MUCH worse when she made her way topside, and might as well learn to handle a little salty talk while completing this quest.  It was thematically appropriate, after all.

Grabbing three oars - just in case one ended up in the water - he carried them over to Pete's dinghy.  The funny old man was already into his third rambling story, oblivious to the fact that he remained alone in the boat.  Freyd found it oddly soothing.  Straddling the gap with one foot on the dock and the other in the boat, he waited for Elora to catch up, waiting to see what kind of glare or scolding he'd earned himself.

Elora slowly approached the watercraft before stepping in to, begrudgingly, begin the quest. There was no use trying to argue with Freyd. The damage had already been done. 

"Ah, Blinky! A great suggestion for a tale to tell, young whippersnapper! Ya see, before I took up fishing, I considered myself well versed in the art of collage. My parents would send me out to pick up any sort of rubbish I could find in the wild. I'd come back with all sorts'a things: strings, swings, rings, and Blinky!

Elora helplessly watched the disappearing shore as they trio had started drifting out into open water. 

Blinky told me that I'd helped him see the world in a different way. One day, I decided to surprised him with a collage that I fixed to look like the place we'd met, which was a field of blossoming flowers. Blinky thought that it was one of the best gifts he'd ever been given!

Pete continued to ramble on about Blinky and god knows what else. She thought that the scenery would be enough to distract her from everything, maybe provide some peace from the exasperation she felt.

Come to find out two decades later that Blinky was actually blind! OHOHOHO! He really had me fooled! 

She inhaled heavily before shutting her eyes tightly. She flung herself over to one side of the boat before plunging her head beneath the water, submerging it completely.

league_of_legends___background_art_1_by_artursadlos_dcz5ldx-pre.thumb.jpg.2d2f53cbbfe7e2be36ddc436467e7856.jpg

Edited by Elora

"Did she just..."  Freyd scrunched his face up trying to figure out what was happening.  Pete was still rambling obliviously by his side.  "Damn it, Elora.  There are worse things than Blinky in these waters."  He tapped her on the backside with one of the oars to get her attention, waiting for her to re-emerge.

Girls can be so random, he thought, shaking his head and leaning against his other arm while he waited.  His more mischievous side was taunting him to push her over the side to teach her a lesson, but he dismissed the idea outright.   Elora was too volatile for that sort of thing and would take it the wrong way.  Better to just let her play out whatever bizarre nonsense this might be and get on with things.

"Women!  Right Pete?"  The old fisherman's bushy eyebrows rose in acknowledgement and fear that his long-dead wife might somehow be watching or listening for his response.  Whatever.  At least it shut him up.

Elora held her breath for at least a good twenty seconds before jolting her head out of the water and splattering everyone around her with the recoil. To her surprise and gratitude, the fisherman had FINALLY stopped talking. Nonchalantly, she announced, "That was refreshingbefore readjusting her posture to be more comfortable on the wooden planks. Hopefully she had made enough of a performance out of avoiding listening to Pete that the man would realize her disinterest in hearing his story. I guess it's admirable that the game went so far as to personify every NPC, but goddamn, I'd really appreciate one that doesn't go on an expose dump for a change.

She turned to Freyd and reached out her hand in an offer to take one of the three oars. "Want any help? Or do you want me to just wait until we get to whatever monster I need to fight?" She hadn't taken any time to read the quest description this time around and wasn't sure what was expected of her.

He blinked, then looked at Pete for a second, then blinked again.  "Uh, yes?"  He paused for a moment, his brain having stalled.  "That would be great,"  he resumed, slowly, as he handed her the oar.  Freyd lifted his gaze and stared firmly back towards shore, determined not to notice how much her head dunk had soaked her armor, and how her draining hair was only spreading it more.  Don't say anything, or she'll flip.  

Doing his best to match her strokes without actually watching her actions was a tricky proposition, and wasn't going especially well.  Maybe a little technical detail would provide a much-needed distraction.

"We need to get out to the centre of the lake and then fish until we trigger the swordfish to attack.  It's an easy kill.  Then we just head back to shore and find a place to celebrate."  He smiled awkwardly, his face struggling not to turn any possible shade of red.

While Freyd seemed to be fumbling with his response, Elora took a moment to strain some of her hair back into the lake. Dunking her head only made her want to go swimming. Unlike where she used to live, the water here was warm and inviting, not cold and salty. Maybe when this was over she could jump in. I'm don't think I'm a strong swimmer, so maybe not, she told herself, It'd be better to wait until we're at the shore again.

She accepted the paddle from Freyd and prepared to make her first stroke. Elora made a futile swing into the waves that caused her oar to skim across the lake's surface. Meeting little resistance, it flew back, launching a spray of water into Freyd, who was sitting directly behind her. "O-oh, oops..." She slowly looked over her shoulder to see the brown-haired boy drenched from the mistake. "PFFF", she snorted, trying her best to contain her laughter. "I-I'm sorry -- I haven't -- hahaha. I didn't know it would do that!" It was a honest apology with a horrible delivery. 

He blinked, staring at Elora with surprise, though neither of them could tell whether he was convinced about her apology or intentions.  Freyd turned his head to face Pete, whose rosy cheeks were turning red as they puffed out and he chewed on his white bearded bottom lip.  His eyes curled with pent up laughter about to burst.  Turning his face back towards Elora, Freyd put a hand on each gunnel.  Their only warning was a bare twinkle in his eye and the hint of a wry grin curling the edge of his lips.

With surprising speed and force for someone so slight of build, Freyd reefed on the left side while bearing down on the right, tipping the boat over completely, sending all three of them splashing into the water.  If there was a sword art for boat-tipping, he'd just used it.  

Freyd quickly righted the boat and hauled Elora's soaking wet form up to hold onto the edge, just in case she wasn't a strong swimmer.  Old Pete was guffawing like a mad man on the far side.

43952790_295579234378592_6859630201316311040_n.jpg.e5e3ec0f3dac5d3b06e1f9ff699710be.jpg"AHHH!", yelled Elora as the boat capsized. Her body briefly submerged into the lake before she began kicking her limbs to carry herself upward. Dammit, it isn't easy to move in this armor! By the time she nearly resurfaced, Freyd had grabbed her forearm and pulled her closer to grab the wooden vessel. "Ok, what I did was an accident, but that --", she coughed up water before finishing her accusation, "-- definitely wasn't!" Thankfully the old man was adept in swimming and apparently shipwrecking. He was soon able to compose himself and crawl back up next to Freyd. Elora struggled a little more with getting over the ledge. The boat rapidly teetered from side to side as the female player attempted to claw her way aboard like a cat trying to escape a bath. Finally, she was able to slide in, dragging along with her a heap of seaweed that had somehow managed to clamber around her legs. She sprawled out on the deck and heaved as if doing so was the most difficult task she had ever undergone. 

A variety of small snails, clams, and worms clung to the vegetation she'd collected. At least now they would have some sort of bait for drawing in the fish.

Edited by Elora

Freyd tapped her soaked thigh gently with his dripping, booted foot.  "Two minutes ago you stuck your entire head in the water like it was no big deal, and nearly capsized the boat."  He was laughing jovially as he spoke, water dripping steadily off the tip of his nose and ears.  His black cowl was plastered to his head, giving him an unusually child-like appearance.  

"I think we're best off calling ourselves even," he offered.  "Come catch that fish, so that we can go back to shore and dry off in the sun."  He grabbed the nearest rod and held it ready for her.  Pete was still shaking his head with laughter, his shoulders heaving with every guffaw.  Sparing a moment, he removed the seaweed still clinging to her leg, then extended his free hand, offering to pull her up.  "What do you say?  Can we call a truce and conclude our fishy business?"

"Yeah, yeah...", she said with an fatigued tone whilst swatting his hand away, "We'll call it a truce" She shakily rose to her feet and accepting the rod, then situated herself at the end of the boat to do a cast. She waited for a few moments before slowly reeling in the line. "Hmm, seems like nothing took the...", she lifted the hook and bobber closer to her face, "Sh*t. I forgot to put any bait on it" It was a rookie mistake and one that she didn't feel too embarrassed for making, at least, not as much as the oar tsunami. She snorted a little more just remembering the look on Freyd's face. He hadn't even known how to react to her row being so uncoordinated. 

Elora peeled a leach from the seaweed and stuck it with the barb, readying the hook for another cast. Bugs didn't really gross her out. She had gotten so used to handling them the time she spent collecting them with her older brother. Although, there was something a bit unsettling about the way the parasite wriggled around in her grip. It reminded her of snakes, or as she liked to refer to them as, the spawns of Satan. 

Spoiler

ID#: 159806 CD5 Fail

Edited by Elora

Freyd busied himself by wringing out his clothes as best he could while still wearing them.  Persi silently poked her head out from under his seat, eyeing the wiggly thing in Elora's hand before receiving a warning glare from him.  Mongooses were aptly categorized as part of the feline family.  They shared many personality traits.  Taking off his boots yielded considerable quantities of water and gave him something to use for bailing the remaining pond inside the hull.

"Sh*t. I forgot to put any bait on it"

He smiled, but said nothing. Freyd was enjoying himself - an altogether rare thing.  Elora already looked about as happy as a wet cat, and he didn't think it wise to push his luck any farther.  He hoped that under that self-critical exterior, she was also having a good time.  

"Over there!"  A vibrant blue dorsal fin crested the water, thrashing briefly before returning below.  "There's your prize."

"Wow! That's -- uh", Elora hesitated, That thing is gigantic! How the f*ck am I supposed to reel it in?! "Uhh...mazing! Can't wait to definitely be able to catch that!" Well, here's to hoping fly fishing doesn't mean it'll be yanking me hard enough to fly off of this boat.

She swung her arms and released the line into a graceful cast that whistled through the air. It's hook gleamed in the sunlight as it soared in a high arc above the water before landing with an uneventful *plop*. The distant figure froze to appreciate Elora's form, then rushed forward in an eager attempt to claim the bait. Elora's legs began to buckle in anticipation as large waves made their way toward them to slam against the vessel. "W-what do I do now?!", she yelled over to Freyd in a panic, "I've never gotten this far beforeee!" She began to reel in her line before the fish even bit down on the hook. It swiftly swerved and jerked in the water to follow the prize, only heightening her fear and uncertainty.

Spoiler

ID#: 159827 CD11 Success

Edited by Elora

A blazing white flash blinded the boat's occupants as Freyd summoned Forgiven Disobedience to hand.  The holy blade speared the swordfish straight through, nearly piercing the wooden hull on the far side.  Stopping short only through masterful control.  From all around came the choral song of a hundred high angels praising the act and summoning the creature's ethereal motes as it shattered into a thousand gleaming shards.  They swirled and gathered around Freyd, momentarily forming a pair of scintillating wings of light at his back, casting him in his own shadow like a silhouette.   

As quickly as it happened, all returned to normal.  The blade was gone and Elora received her notification of the quest objective's completion.

"There," Freyd said plainly, as if nothing significant had occurred.  "All done."  Shall we head back to shore.  He suddenly realized that the oars were floating out on the lake about twenty feet away.  "Oh, right.  Guess we have to go get those."

Spoiler

image.png.11bb6c0815c219c1bc10462722a777bc.png

Freyd | HP:660/660 | EN:66/66 | DMG:14 | MIT:44 | EVA:1 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

BD: 9 + 4 = 13 (Crit +1, Holy 2, Bld 12); Freyd deals 68 damage to Swordfish.  Dead.

Swordfish: HP 0/35 (-68 -12), DMG 50/5 (no crit)

Elora stood with her jaw dropped in a dumbfounded expression. Where did -- and how did he --? Wait, what are...? She seemed confused and dazed by the sudden performance. It was unexpected to see from Fryed, to say in the least. "Wow, you're SO strong" She found the compliment spilling from her lips while she gawked at him in unfiltered admiration. "Er --" After she caught him staring at her for a moment too long, she realized what a fool she'd just made of herself, sounding like a doting teenager and all. There had to be something she could do to divert the attention away from her.

"I'll uhm, yeah, I suppose I could just get these by --" She reached out with the full length of her spear to awkwardly tap at and reign in all of the loose paddles which were bobbing and spinning everywhere in the newly generated current. "Come on!" The third one was especially stubborn, and it made her even more flustered and frustrated because why the hell is there a spare one anyway?! It seemed that this quest had been one struggle after another for her and she hoped to get it together at this point. Blessedly, she was able to guide the last paddle over to her and scoop it out from the water. Her shoulders slumped shortly before she collapsed on the wooden seat beside her. "Ugh, what a long day. I'm exhausted.", she reflected momentarily, "We've done more in a few hours than I have for the few years we've been trapped here."

Edited by Elora

"Wow, you're SO strong"

Freyd was stunned.  No one had every called him that before.  He'd certainly never thought of himself that way.  Turning beet red at the compliment, he struggled to find his seat.  Once she had recovered the oars, he made to hand one back to her.  Regaining some sense of composure, he paused to smirk and provide her with a look that suggested a repeat of last time would best be avoided, lest the boat accidentally turn itself over again.

"Thanks for that, by the way.  It's... not something I've ever... I just..." he struggled to get any more out.  "Thank you."

He listened to her reflections on the day and found memories of his own terror-filled exile in the Town of Beginnings flooding back to him.  "I've not been out fighting much longer than you have, Elora.  It's what makes it important for me to help others who are starting out.  You did great today, by the way.  And I'm also inclined to agree.  Let's go dry off and get some rest."