[PP|F14] <<The Lich's Calling>> Scary Numbers

<<The Lich's Calling>>

It was true. He was, quite literally, just prancing around her recommendations and trying his best to avoid the lower floor quests now that only the hard ones, or the dragon hunter anthologies he was saving for Shay, had been the few left to do. "Ahem, I... I'd rather just stick to the ones I know we can do. S-Speaking of which, Lich King is... scary. From uh... Lich's Calling. The monster I've heard packs a hell of a mean punch, but... we can do it, can't we? If you kill it fast enough, then we can decimate it easily.", he tried to find reassurance in both's combined strength, grinning awkwardly.

His level was going up incredibly fast, and he wanted it to stay that way, so he'd been keeping his eyes on the prize- and the quests with many prizes to hand out at that. "So... What do you think? Can we keep up doing random quests here and there, starting with Lich's Calling? I'll... I'll just look for another one to do somewhere along the way. In the meantime, uh... Can you explain how it works? I heard a lot of monsters show up with high numbers, and... I'd rather not fall below half health if I don't have to, heh~... heh...". It was funny, admitting that he didn't want to die as a tank despite taking all of the damage, even with his godly armor piece now, but he was still as scared of numbers like 400 Damage all the same. That was almost half his darn HP after all.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 47
HP: 960/960
EN: 94/94

Stats:
Damage: 15
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:9
VAMP DEF:48
FRZ:24
BLD:24
HLY BLS:16
LD:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Zero Degree Icicle>> (T2/Perfect/2HSS): ACC I, FRZ I, BLD I
Armor: <<Wind Dweller>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): EVA I, REC II
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Perfect/Trinket): EVA II, ACC I

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 1]
Searching [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
Spyglass (2/3)*1
T1 Rare Health Potions (heal 40HP)*2
Woodland Armor (T2/Perfect) MIT III (2/3)*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"Really?" She'd barely remembered that outing at all; what stood out more to her at the time was the landscape the lich's castle was located at, the burning brimstone and order of hell very much like the ninth floor if not more polished and less wilderness and trauma. Her thumb settled on the bottom of her chin as she tried to recall as best she could about the quest, but for what her memory was worth, it all fell to naught when she could hardly piece together the events that occurred in her head.

"Well, I don't mind heading out on outings here and there, mind you." How strange that their day seemed to continue onwards, the setting sun not in sight. Perhaps things just went faster with two players instead of three, or she was investing too much thought into time dilation. "But all I recall about the quest is smacking a few enemies silly. Big numbers don't really matter too much when you have a tank in front of you, I suppose."

pZYqnbP.png

NIGHT
  | HP: 1490/1490 | EN: 161/161
  | ACC: 4 | DMG: 19 | EVA: 4 | MIT: 79 | BH: 74
  | KEEN: 1 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | TAUNT | LD: 4
  | Stealth Detection: 4 | Stealth Rating: 7
  | Dungeon Search: 2

- - -
[Examine]

[Equipment]

• Dragon's Gaze
    -- [ Keen | After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this enhancement. ]
    -- [ Paralyze I | Natural successful attack rolls of 9-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Absolute Accuracy | +1 ACC. Attack rolls of 1 no longer automatically miss. ]
  • Reinforced Black Tracksuit
    -- [ Mitigation I | +54 MIT. ]
    -- [ Evasion I | +1 EVA. ]
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 ACC ]
    -- [ Evasion II | +2 EVA ]

[Battle-Ready Inventory]

• - - -
  • - - -
  • - - -

Skills

Skills

Mod Count: 8/8

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Ferocity, Precision, Finesse
  2. Light Armor | Passive | RANK 5/5 
    Athletics, Sprint&Acrobatics
  3. Searching | Passive | RANK 4/5
    > Reveal
  4. Hiding | Passive | RANK 4+1/5
    Blindside, Vanish,
    Surprise Attack: Trickster
  5. Extended Mod Limit | Passive | RANK 3/3 
  6. Battle Healing | Passive | RANK 5/5
  7. Energist | Passive
  8. Quick Change | Active

[Extra]

• Survival | Passive 
  • Concentration | Active -- CD: 3
  • Familiar Mastery: Fighter | Passive | RANK 3/3

Consumed Buffs

Spoiler
  • Bialas Statue | +TAUNT

• - - -
  • - - -

Misc. Buffs

Spoiler
  • Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash
    | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots.
  • Well Rested
    | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. 
  • Relaxed
    | +(5 * Tier) HP per out-of-combat post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat.
  • Squeaky Clean
    | -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player in a thread.
  • Skylight: Hiding
    | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. Cooldown of 30 days to reassign.
  • Multipurpose
    | +1 LD/Prosperity/Stealth/Detection to one post per thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Filling
    | +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player in a thread. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps.
  • Col Deposit
    | +5% col from loot-minimum mobs, +10% col from treasure chests.

With a deep sigh and a scratch of his head, Chase gave her a half assed laugh and muttered under his breath. "You're forgetting I'm meant to be the tank and all I've in front of me is death one way or another...". They began to slowly head back towards the teleport plaza, and after a bit of walking, they were over to the fourteenth. Just a floor above the Sea Wyvern they took down only a while earlier, Chase looked around the settlement that he visited for the first time, his jaw hanging just slightly as he quickly came to realise how much this looked like the ninth.

"Smacking enemies silly eh? It's a lich but... no way there's hellhounds again, huh?". His mind was over back to when the two first got truly involved with one another. Himself, NIGHT and DAY. It was quite a secret to hold, but the idea of exposing it to even Shay hadn't crossed his mind yet- and he wouldn't do that at any point. "Speaking of which... you don't feel worried about me running my mouth, do you? Not anymore at least.", he asked with a small smile, hopeful that she'd be more at ease with the subject too.

She hadn't heard him mumbling to himself, still racking her brain for what tidbits she could find on the subject. "Uh, I remember there being two things at the corners, at least?" Her hand was buried in her hair, rubbing the back of her scalp as she wondered. "I mean, there's obviously the king at the center, but the rest of the rabble..."

... No good. The mechanics just weren't coming to mind. "--Anyway," NIGHT continued, eyes set on the distance after they'd flashed to the new floor, "I usually keep a stash of Bistro's healing crystals while I'm out on my own, since they act as restoratives I can pop at a moment's notice. When you're fast on your feet as a damage dealer or an evasive sort of tank, there's very little need for you to worry about hits most of the time."

She strode forward, out the camp the settlement was fashioned after.

"Speaking of which... you don't feel worried about me running my mouth, do you? Not anymore at least."

"... Not until you mentioned it," the woman rebuked with a solemn glare.

Yeah, the glare felt as sharp as ever. It was good that she carried crystals around and about, but having his question responded to in that manner completely took his mind off the scary number box and put it back in the one reserved for NIGHT's disapproval. "... Sorry.", he blurted out and quietly stuffed his hands in his overcoat's jackets, letting out a deep sigh and looking down at the ground. "... Take us out of the town or wherever the Lich King is.". He was definitely going to stick to being a bit more quiet given he just seemed to piss her off.

It was probably partly because he picked the sensitive subject, and because he overthought everything. He should have just buried this in the back of his head. All he wanted was to make sure she didn't feel as uncomfortable as before anymore, given how they had bonded a fair bit through the battles, equipment finding and questing the past few hours and days. When the swordswoman took the lead, he simply followed right behind, silent and with his gaze stuck to his feet. "... Nicely done. Idiot."

NIGHT tossed her head backwards as she walked, eyes closed with pain over her tangle of distress. It wasn't so much as she distrusted ChaseR on the issue -- though, of course, his interest in the subject seemed to perk her fear awake once again. The problem lied with him settling into the comfort of her Gemini sticking around with a purpose. Like the whole situation, while abnormal, should still be taken at face value and not be slotted under some major conspiracy or something, especially not when anyone else has reported of a similar incident occurring to them just like it did with her.

Of course no other player would've said something. Who would want to admit that their doppelganger was playing mind games with them and dogging them every day? As she let out an exhale, it was with a shudder running through her form, sigh heavy, shoulders slumped forward, the realm going past her as the wind's howl filled the silence of their journey.

If only he felt in any higher spirits, he might have asked about her relationship with Yuki. Although he didn't like her too much, hearing about her from NIGHT, a person he very well respected, would probably lighten his mood and maybe make him change his opinion on the pinkhead. "...". He remained quiet until they appeared outside of what looked like ruins, getting him to furl his eyebrows and slowly draw his sword out, holding it in one hand with the blade resting on the ground. He turned his head to look at NIGHT, wanting her to be the one to engage in combat first this time around.

What had taken over before was uncertainty- now it was fear. Her response had shaken him up, and now being faced with both guilt for reminding her of the topic and the numbers right before him. "... Is he up ahead?", he asked simply, wearing an expression more troubled than ever and waiting for her to talk before even considering taking another step closer to what could, with horrible luck, be his downfall. Then again, the both of them knew better.

Their trek continued in silence, the black silhouette of the ruined castle slowly sharpening in its details as they got closer. NIGHT's sights wormed forward, tracing out the path through the fortress' interior, ashen brick road guiding curious travelers to ultimately meet their demise-- if they hadn't come to the fight prepared, of course.

The player was more than ready to settle the score in earnest. It was her concerned companion that seemed all too worried to step forward, though NIGHT wasn't too certain why... aside from the man's health pool, of course.

"... Is he up ahead?"

"He is," she replied, sparing him a single glance. The hesitance in his paces told her to approach their battlefield first, and so she did, Dragon's Gaze flaring awake in her hands. A tight grip around her weapon and a flare of both her optics and her sword's would be the first and last notice of the player-come-intruders to their opponents, the woman barely giving the undead enemies a second to think the moment she stepped through their front door.

Spoiler

Using [Concentration]. (+1 ACC) to the following rolls:
ID: 167052 | BD: 12 (7, +4+1)
<<Calamity Disaster>> vs Shambling Soldier #1. (-228 DMG)

ID: 167053 | BD: 15 (10, +4+1)
<<Calamity Disaster>> vs Shambling Soldier #2.
19 + 2 = 21 DMG | 21 * 12 = 252 DMG

ID: 167054 | BD: 11 (6, +4+1)
<<Calamity Disaster>> vs Skeletal Lich #1. (-228 DMG)

ID: 167055 | BD: 8 (3, +4+1)
<<Calamity Disaster>> vs Skeletal Lich #2. (-228 DMG)
Ending [Concentration].
[Keen] activated. (+1 ACC) for all subsequent rolls.

NIGHT | HP: 1490/1490 | EN: 145/161 (-16) | ACC: 5 | DMG: 19 | EVA: 4 | MIT: 79 | BH: 74 | KEEN: 1 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | TAUNT | LD: 4
ChaseR | HP: 960/960 | EN: 94/94 | DMG: 15 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 9 | FRZ: 9-10 | BLD: 24 | Vamp (Def.): CD: 9+ | HBS: 16 | LD: +2

Lich King | HP: 350/350 (+400, >=350) | DMG: 400 
Shambling Soldier #1 | HP: -118/100 (-228) | DMG: 140
Shambling Soldier #2 | HP: -152/100 (-252) | DMG: 140
Skeletal Lich #1 | HP: -118/100 (-228) | DMG: 140
Skeletal Lich #2 | HP: -118/100 (-228) | DMG: 140

Now that they had engaged in battle, NIGHT had already taken all of the small fries out. Although he wasn't aware how exactly her sword could never miss, it was definitely a worthy blade of being wielded by such a strong player- she took everything out almost instantaneously, leaving nothing but crystals behind alongside the King. With a deep breath, the boy stepped forward and started to run towards him, feeling rather shaky overall.

No matter, he hit the king all the same. A slash diagonally upwards, then sideways and a slam with the flat of his blade to his head to knock it barely off balance and dodge a strike from it. His sword he feared the most, but he appeared to be safe from any damage. Even so, his overcoat emitted a faint dark red aura, almost trying to do something- probably let the vampiric effect kick in despite his max health. It made him feel a bit more at ease, at least on the battle front. "She was right... It really is a pushover..."

image.png.3b01bffd4072a612fc48bc577adf31d1.png

NIGHT | HP: 1490/1490 | EN: 145/161 (-16) | ACC: 5 | DMG: 19 | EVA: 4 | MIT: 79 | BH: 74 | KEEN: 1 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | TAUNT | LD: 4
ChaseR | HP: 960/960 | EN: 94/94 | DMG: 15 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 9 | FRZ: 9-10 | BLD: 24 | Vamp (Def.): CD: 9+ | HBS: 16 | LD: +2

Lich King | HP: 155/350 (-195) | DMG: 400 

Edited by ChaseR

What, did the boss somehow glitch its way into not budging at all with her wipe-out attack? There were so many things unsettling about this quest, perhaps the true reason NIGHT forgot it all was to put the discrepancies out of her mind about the battle's end. She couldn't tell if ChaseR had landed a stun from his sword, or if it was the frost effect from his edge taking effect, but when she was done with her own standing targets, she'd lunged for the boss with Dragon's Gaze leading her charge.

One shot, one kill -- the Lich barely nudged out of place from their assault, bursting and shattering into pieces within the blink of an eye. She felt her blade go numb before silencing itself in her hand, the woman whisking it away the moment she opened her palm to speak with a gesture. "Nothing to worry about after all. If you're ever struck to your nerves... that's what teleport crystals are for, I suppose."

Spoiler

ID: 167057 | BD: 12 (7, +5)
<<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Lich King. (-247 DMG)

NIGHT | HP: 1490/1490 | EN: 145/161 (-16) | ACC: 5 | DMG: 19 | EVA: 4 | MIT: 79 | BH: 74 | KEEN: 1 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | TAUNT | LD: 4

Lich King | HP: -92/350 (-247) | DMG: 400

Funny enough, Chase hadn't ever once used a teleport crystal or seen what it looked like. Judging by the tidepod or whatever it was crystal he'd used to clean the mud off of them though, they were probably the same, but a different color. Just like any other musical crystal that Shay used, or the ones that Bistro could make. Regardless, he slowly sheathed his blade again, glad that the quest had ended without any significant health loss whatsoever. "R-Right. I should... buy one, shouldn't I? Never had one before, but... You get them from merchants?"

His voice was as shaky as he'd been the few seconds the fight lasted overall, but he was quickly recovering from the thankfully short high stress battle. "So, that's another one off the list... Let's head back and I'll see what mission I can find.", he said before going back to complete silence, gulping dryly and opening his menu to try and forget how awkward he'd made things just earlier. He sifted through the quest log, trying to find some other low difficulty but high reward quests the two could tackle on their own without putting one another in any significant danger.

"R-Right. I should... buy one, shouldn't I? Never had one before, but..."

--She'd been like that, in the same way. Never saw a necessary purpose for Teleport Crystals, not until her nerves and case of overthinking started to get the better of her. Then she came into a stock of equipment that made her feel all the better on her adventures, as well as a humbling from The Emperor's own way of life.

NIGHT nodded back to him, thumbing the edged block in her pockets and feeling its sharpness press inwardly upon her gloves. "Pick up a couple at a time. You'd rarely need to go back when you have a stash of them safe at home."

They shuffled out the room, leaving it silent; ominous in its own way, but nevertheless a sign of it deprived of its scorned. On the journey back, she'd looked out towards the sulfuric hillsides, wondering if it was still possible soon to head out there on a personal expedition.

Chase wasted no time starting to sift through missions. Whatever he could to let NIGHT's annoyance subside the fastest possible. Honestly, things were the same like when he pissed Shay off or anybody else- he just stayed quiet throughout and didn't want to worsen things any. After a fair bit of looking, he stumbled upon one that seemed alright- the only problem being it's on the twenty third... That's high. Bigger numbers are scarier, as this quest had just proven, so... "E-Er... There is one in the twenty third with a caveman or... something else named stupidly."

"Ug... Ugzeek? Ugzek-ay?", he quietly tried to pronounce it, effectively showing off his Mr. Worldwide title and groaning as he himself realised he'd failed desperately. "Gives a lot of SP and it's easy to boot... What do you think?", he finished off and made a mental note in the meantime to go buy him a few teleport crystals the next time he happened to waltz by gran, or hell, even Freyd. He'd promised to go check his shop sometime, and maybe he'd bring both the brew he picked up along the way and a batch of unidentified items for him to appraise as well.

Edited by ChaseR

"Ugzeke?" NIGHT chimed back, the prospect of a new quest stealing her attention back to reality. Talk about broken quests, and another would show up -- just like the devil. "That thing's a pushover," she remarked. "It barely moved the last time I saw it."

She'd pulled open her inventory, sifting through her equipment as she wondered if it was better to bring her training gear for this round. When her gloves came on, NIGHT flexed her fingers, feeling the leather around her palm shift and loosen with her movements. "Sure," she added, though the confirmation less than necessary at this point; more experience for her companion meant just as much subdued values for her, but points gained was points earned nonetheless. Just as quickly, she'd tapped on a few other pieces of gear, the warrior disposing her tracksuit for the time being for a suit of polished, spiky armor.

"Let's be off."

"A-Already?! I barely got enough time to ask for the mission we'll take on this time and she's already preparing?! Speaking of which, wh...". Yeah, the sudden change in gear was probably scarier than NIGHT's reaction to his cultural education. "H-Hey, what's with the change of armor..? You have more than just your tracksuit and gloves..?", he asked although rather hesitantly, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Due to the spikes on her shiny armor, she was more akin to some heavy metal band than anything, at least in the clueless boy's mind.

Despite his qualms with picking up the pace already, he followed right behind her quietly, letting out a deep sigh and looking up at the sky, losing himself in thoughts just slightly. The things he wished he'd done differently and the things he could do once he reached the third tier. Probably more quests, seeing as his health and damage would be increased. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let Blizz tag along either, or he would lag behind in both combat experience and knowledge of all the floors Aincrad had to it- that was probably a good idea. "... Do you have a familiar?"

"I didn't start out with the sole purpose of becoming someone reliant on damage." NIGHT's steps were slower this time, on account of her heavier armor and the scraping of her familiar wriggling underneath her gear. What claws Nyanko usually reserved for the most dire of times (when food was involved) were suddenly drawn so that the kitten could clamber up her shirt and onto her shoulder. "There's numerous things one can do with their equipment, various builds to specialize into, and--"

"Mew!!"

Almost as though to cut short her explanation in full, her kitten began beeping in her ear, perched atop her shoulder. The kitten was small, precious, four paws squeezed together on one large pauldron just so he could stand tall and bristle with fur, nipping at the woman's earlobes about his interrupted sleep.

"--H-hey!"

She'd gently nudged him free of her form, pulling the baby into a cradle in her hands. NIGHT gave the feline a pout as she held him out in front of her, before turning over to ChaseR, loosening up a little. "You mean him?"

"That's... one way to answer the question, sure...", he thought to himself, frozen and looking at her in surprise with wide eyes. Somebody this menacing and emotionless most of the time had such a weakness for cute animals, too. Damn. He was starting to wonder whether he'd shown her Blizz or not, having forgotten due to keeping him home to keep him safe for the past few quests. That and the many different climates would probably cause him trouble on way or another. "Ah... I guess now I do, yeah.", he replied with an awkward laugh, continuing to rub the back of his neck.

Thankfully whatever-its-name-is existed and relieved the tension with his sudden comeuppance. If anything, it was definitely more interesting than having NIGHT go on about builds and whatnot- he didn't have to be an expert to realise she must have started as a tank and ended up a damage dealer. "Where did you even find him? I found mine by the fourth, near Snowfrost. There was a forest further from the lake that we found Absolute Zero... Somewhere around there. Trained him there too."

"The first," she returned, looking back upon her snuggly familiar, who was now pawing for her attention as she continued to carry onwards. With a wiggling finger, NIGHT baited a few of his lazy lunging with a grin, smile obscured with her back turned towards ChaseR. "It was raining outside. Didn't want to head out. But I'm glad I did -- I wouldn't have found him otherwise. Isn't that right, Nyanko? Little, baby, sweet--"

"Mrrew!!"

"Mew...!!"

As the kitten started to roll over in her hands, she guided him safely to stay on, before summoning her menus once more to sift through them, Nyanko letting out a few more squeaks of quarrel. With her companion's dissatisfied mewling, it was apparent that she was so used to wearing her light armor now that she'd forgotten about the satchel she used to carry her familiar around in. One blink of it onto her form, and the cat nearly dashed right into the now-worn hole by its side, feet kicking open the edge of its frame before he completely dug his way into his portable home, enveloped completely by the darkness.

Hearing NIGHT coo like that to the little animal, seeing her act completely differently and much too sweetly than what he'd seen thus far, was certainly entertaining. He watched the scene unfold before him and clapped with another chuckle, all the way until the cat disappeared. He figured that must have been where it usually rested, but... "Are you sure he'll be alright there? It's dark and tiny...", the bluehead worried a bit for the animal, starting to sweat nervously as he got on the tip of his toes as if trying to peek inside nervously.

"She must have been carrying it like this, and even if game logic applies, this just feels... off. I can't explain it. I'd make something similar like a bag to carry Blizz around, but it looks like Grace has that covered... I wonder if he's been doing anything other than sleeping all the way back at home?", his mind took off to yet another world of questions and ponders, while the two approached the teleport plaza. It was time to head over to the Underdark, even if the young man had no clue whatever the hell that was. He didn't even know its name, funny enough, despite it being his ultimate destination for now.

The player nodded at his evaluation. "He's been alright before," she added, just before Nyanko stuck his head out of his prior entrance, green eyes peering out to the world before him. A different scene for the kitten, but one that might put him off nonetheless, NIGHT imagined. Though she knew not what the cat thought of the ninth, this was just as similar when compared side by side in their simplest forms. "Cats do a lot of sleeping in the first place, don't they?"

The beast chirped, as though a reply to her point, before they entered the safe zone and made way towards the teleport pad. She'd gently stroke her familiar with the back of her fingers, finally earning an approving purr from the feline before her feet found way on the familiar basalt stone. Where was Ugzeke's home again -- the Underdark? That wasn't the name of the settlement, though.

"... Oh, right. To Kalanaes."

And off on their journey they went.