[PP-F4] Transcend and Rise Above

There was a slight chuckle followed by a shrug of her shoulders at his quip against her. Was it that obvious for him to pick up on? Or had he guessed? By the way she kept shifting things over to him. It didn't matter, she didn't really have any problems that needed to be immediately addressed. Besides- each and every time she had reached out it had been made painfully clear that her problems were hers and hers alone to deal with.

"-you're one of the few people I've met in here who has the nerve to handle this place."

Mari gently shook her head in disagreement. "Handling is an interesting word to use. I just kinda take each day as it comes." There were so many people who had handled this place better than her. People who hadn't taken lives. Who didn't have problems with their insecurities and anger. People who were able to rise above it all and stand tall. Mari was none of that. She was just there to push others forward. "Mmm.." Mari tilted her head, eyes shifting to glance at Freyd from the side. "Maybe. Just a little." She admitted. "I care- I'm not sure if its outta my own guilt or that I'm just tired. But I don't wanna see anyone else die."

She jumped as she felt him slide the  blanket over her shoulders. The sudden weight of the blanket was oddly comforting."I don't trust myself either. But -You know, they don't have to understand to help." Mari pulled the blanket tighter over her shoulders. For every compliment she seemed to have a deflection. Mari never really realized how cold she was till she wrapped herself up. Even when she slept, it was usually on the floor, curled up. There were no blankets or pillows involved. Mari still feeling like such comforts were not for a murderer like her. She had yet to earn them. Mari's eyes were drawn to the mirror as he pulled the material away.

Mari hated her reflection. She saw a bundle of messy hair tied carelessly up and away from a round face. Pale, as though kissed by the moonlight and hidden away from the sun. Freckles dotted her cheeks and nose - and they scrunched when she furrowed her brows. Tired eyes stared back. She hated her reflection. It was the main reason she kept the mirror covered. Mari pulled her gaze away as she took two steps back, then to the side so she could lean her back against the wall, leaning beside the mirror. 

Mari looked smaller- lost in the fluffy folds of a blanket, shoulders slumped. Despite that - she persevered.
"So - we need to hunt gloopy shadow you, then?"

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Freyd watched her reaction intently as the mirror revealed her reflection, careful not to provoke or sway it with his own.  He listened as she finally shook loose a few revelations, literally shrinking into the blanket as she did so.

"You're comparing yourself to every ideal you've ever encountered, like you were somehow expected to exceed them all."  He shook his head at her.  "Mari... why don't you just worry about being the best 'Mari' you can be - or at least the one you want to be.  Measure yourself against your past, don't define yourself by it.  Those are good, real goals.  You're still here because you had what it took, acted smart when you needed to, and probably also because you got lucky along the way.  Look around and see how many of those supposed 'better people' and their ideals are still around."  He held his hands up, the empty room conveniently echoing his point.

"No one is coming out of this unscathed - no one.  So here we are: two people who don't trust themselves trying to figure out what to do next.  That actually seems like a good starting point."

Summoning his gloves, he started tugging them back on.

"Come on," he said, a mischievous grin spreading across his face.  "We've used up enough words today, and my teeth will be swimming if I have any more tea.  There's some asshole mob not far north from here called the 'Night's King'.  He sounds like a pretentious jerk in need of serious curb-stomping, and we could both use a bit of stress relief.   Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll find some goopy-shadow-me's along the way."  His boots reappeared at his side. 

"Take your time getting ready."  His grin stretched even further.  "I'll just be over here, ...daydreaming."