[PP-F02] <<DHA:2>> Back At It

Days went by and Haine had found herself scrolling through her quests list. One thing stuck out like a sore thumb, Dragon Hunter Anthology. One out of nine quests completed. As a completionist, that number was starting to get on her nerves. She pulled up her friends list, and surely enough, Freyd was online. Perfect! She could have gone alone, but the bluenette hated solitude.

To: Freyd

Yo! DHA 2 today? Lmk if you're down.

The woman rolled out of bed and looked into the mirror. Her hair looked like the equivalent of a rat's nest in the morning, disheveled and matted. Strands of tangled blue bunched around her visage, shielding her periphery. While she awaited her comrade's response, she figured it would be nice to freshen up. A couple minutes later and she was ready to go, hair pulled into a neat ponytail. She threw on her layers and moved downstairs to grab a bite to eat.

Haine | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 126/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 4 | BLD:36

Spoiler

Name: Haine
Level: 63
HP: 1290/1290
EN: 126/126

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
BLD:36

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Damage 2, Bleed 1
Armor: Mitigation 2, Evasion 1
Misc: Accuracy 3

Skills:
Two Handed Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Fishing [Obtained]
Searching [Rank 1]
First Aid [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit Rank 1 [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Familiar: Fighter

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3
Ferocity
Precision
Athletics
Purify
Barrier Rank 2

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter HP Potions (+50 HP)*3
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Basic Training: +1 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by Haine

Freyd was always on the move these days, darting from quest to quest.  There was something intangible in the air that was driving him to nearly ceaseless levels of activity.  Other members of the guild mocked him jokingly for his efforts, but it had always felt natural to him to be busy.  Idle moments were harder.  They left you stranded with your thoughts, and his had been particularly heavily conflicted of late.

He was just wrapping up some business on the upper floors when Haine's invitation came through.

To: Haine

Meet you there.

He needed to help her catch up to the third DHA quest.  As soon as they did, they could link their efforts with Katoka and Elora, and blitz the rest of the chain.  Tugging his cowl down to get to business, he increased the pace of his strides.  There would be no rest for the weary.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1170/1170 | EN:114/114 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:46

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 57
HP: 1170/1170
EN: 114/114

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:46
KEEN:1
HLY:6
BLD:36

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Grief's Harbinger (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb [T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1]
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 4]
Parry [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Crystal of Support (30*tier) hp to party*1
Missing You*2
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Their last conversation and the events following Skalaugh brought much to light. The woman was more zealous than usual. She had to grow stronger, and in order to reflect that, she had to put in some work. Her schedule was filled with activities, she was waking up earlier than usual - something she didn't do as often. It meant a lot from a woman who couldn't function without a ridiculous amount of sleep.

She padded into the kitchen, her cub following suit. She was in a hurry, there was no time to sit around today. She opened the fridge and stuffed a pastry into her gullet, ravenous. She poured herself a glass of milk and washed it down. With a satisfied sigh, she slammed the cup down by the sink. She moved back to the fridge and grabbed another one for the road. Once she was out the door, she tossed a fish at Mishka. On the way to the teleport gate, she left her comrade a quick message.

To: Freyd

Cool! I'm heading there now.

Haine | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 126/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 4 | BLD:36

Edited by Haine

He was there, as he'd promised, but something seemed different.  His hood was down, for starters.  She could actually see him and his face.  Long strands of brown hair blew around wildly in a rare gusty breeze.  Brown eyes with the slightest tinge of red brimmed with life and alertness.  Careworn lines along their edges made him seem older than she remembered.  He sat on  a long bench, one leg upon the seat with a steaming cup of something resting on his knee.  Freyd appeared to be watching an exchange between one of the local merchants and several mischievous street children who were playing her for a fool while trying to steal dips of their fingertips in a freshly baked pie sitting on her window ledge.  He had a broad and innocent smile strewn across his face and looked to be strangely content as he watched the scene unfold.  To her even greater surprise, his normally reserved facial expressions didn't change at all as he spotted her and waved.

She arrived in town not too long after.

The beginning towns, by design, were some of the most peaceful ones to frequent. There was an air of security found there. Players of all walks frequented this place during the morning. Along the road, a soft lull caught her attention. In front of a tavern was an lavishly dressed woman. She plucked away at her instrument while she formed a soothing tune. People stopped to listen, gathered around the rails to witness her tale unfold. She sung of ancient lore. Haine, entranced, wished to hear the rest of it.

Oh yeah, she had somewhere to be!

Her cub wandered off without her. Soft paws wandered off into the crowd and left his owner no choice but to follow along. "Hey! Bad boy. You can't wander off like that!" She pointed a finger at the animal and squinted. The familiar, not the slightest bit threatened, didn't stop for her. He went straight for a particular scent in range. The cub reached a cloaked figure and scratched at his leg for affection. She squinted to see clearer.

She recognized the figure as her comrade Freyd and waved back. As she approached, she noticed something... different about his demeanor. His hood was down and a brighter smile painted his features. She quirked a brow for a moment and settled under the shade beside him. "Mornin' sunshine!"  She flipped through her inventory and pulled out the other strawberry strudel. She contemplated on devouring it, but she wasn't a total glutton. "You have breakfast yet? I have a present for you." She offered him the iced pastry.

Freyd's eyebrows lifted in pleasant surprise at her offer.

"Morning sunshine... huh... that's a good idea."  His eyes twinkled as he accepted the proffered treat, biting into it.  She suspected that he had filled his gob that quickly just to avoid answering any questions.  Instead, he offered he a drink from the carafe at his side, a second, empty cup available for just such a purpose.  Persi was coiled around herself at the far end of the bench, lapping at what looked like a bowl full of liquid nitrogren.  She paused, offering a blinked greeting with her big blue eyes before returning to her bizarre treat.

"You all set to kick more dragon butt?"  He transferred a red, strawberry-flavoured smear from his lips to the back of his glove, smirking but completely unaware of the ring of powdered sugar all around his mouth.  His goofy grin gave him an almost child-like quality of his own.

The strawberry strudel was a fruit of labor. Kiluia had spent the past few months perfecting and leveling his culinary expertise. His small, cozy bakery on the icy floor was a hit, and with that came great responsibilities. He set aside the extras from his abundant batch of strudels. One day he'd have to teach her the sacred art.

She accepted the warm drink with a nod and a thanks. She held it up to her lips and stopped mid sip. Her attention focused on the strange, cloudy substance Persi imbibed. How did that work? The cub, mystified, leaned in for a sip. The cold fog went right through him and he sneezed.

"Ready as I'll ever be! And I call dibs this time." Haine pointed a finger at herself for emphasis. She took a swig of the drink, the warmth settling in her belly. She looked up at the man and choked on her drink. She giggled and pointed at his mouth. It was a sure mess of powdered sugar and jam. "I know, it's that good, isn't it?" She folded her arms together and smiled, the corners of her eyes creasing. "If you want more, you'll have to catch Kil at his bakery. They're a hit now."

Pawing at his own mouth, Freyd laughed as he realized what had happened, then licked his fingers clean with delight.

"I'm glad to hear that he's doing well - that you both are.  Things have been getting way too hectic of late.  It's important to pause and just enjoy the moment from time to time."  Dismissing all of the assorted items around him, he dusted off the array of crumbs all over his clothing and set them on the proper course for their next target.

"It surprises me that you hadn't done these quests already.  I've always had the impression that you've been out here and active far longer than I have."  Blushing slight, he admitted that it had taken him some time to work up the nerve to leave the Town of Beginnings and start making his own way through Aincrad.

"Strange, isn't it, how our fears can drive us or shut us away.  Just like that."

His musing brought memories to mind. Haine had grown exponentially from her beginnings. Her bubbly essence remained throughout most hardships, but she had matured in other aspects. A wave of nostalgia washed over her. "There's a reason!" she jested, "It's a miracle I'm alive now." She took a sip of her drink and cleared her throat. "My ass was safe in groups." She looked up at the sky as she continued. "I didn't really do work." She chuckled awkwardly at the revelation. "Eventually, I snapped out of it. My siblings, I had to watch over them, yanno?"  Her expression faltered for a moment. She blinked hard and recomposed herself. She mustered a wistful smile in memory of the blue haired trio. "Couldn't let those idiots run loose out there."

She looked down at her cup and swished its contents around.

"So, I got swole."  She shrugged off her splurge of personal information with a jest. "A little late, but you likey?" She flexed her nonexistent, armor clad muscles.

Edited by Haine

He gave her a solid 'thumbs up', recognizing her gesture for what it was.  

"I didn't realize that you had siblings had... have they passed?"  It was a guess, based on her reaction, and he took a chance that she might be willing to open up.  Haine had always seemed aloof, doing her own thing away from the crowd.  Freyd had always thought of her as this potent and statuesque figure - swole, as she had jokingly said.  This was the first time he realized how much smaller than him she was - no less potent, but his perspective was re-framed.  This was the closest he had ever truly seen her to being vulnerable.  It made her seem more real.

Having never had siblings of his own, he wondered what it would be like.  Having them trapped with you in SAO would be... hard.  Empathy was hardly his strong suit.  Mari would have laughed at him, or possibly stabbed him, for even attempting it.  He watched and waited for Haine's reaction, for clues of whether this topic would be better dropped.

Only the fate of one sibling was ensured. Her younger sister, Ruri, was trapped in that cave along with her. The girl was stubborn enough to poke her nose in danger, leading herself into that cave where the others were buried. Alas, she met the same fate, trapped beneath a pile of rubble, swept away in a cocoon for that leech's supper. If it weren't for Raidou, Ruri could have succumbed to that grueling energy drain. The woman owed him her life. A room in the guild hall hosted her comatose body for several weeks now. She prayed for the younger's rehabilitation.

And as for the fate of her brother, it had been months upon months since she heard from him. His name was not on the monument, his contact greyed from her list. All previous ties were cut, there was no way of reaching those who knew him. After months of restless nights and days sleuthing for clues, she relinquished hope. Her only solace relied in the fact he was alive, somewhere.

"No, not exactly..." She clutched the cup tightly. "It's, uh, complicated." She traced the rim of the steel and returned her gaze to Freyd. "But they're both alive, that's all that matters." The emotion was weighing down on her, an uncomfortable air of silence lingering. Haine was swift to seize the situation by its reigns. She passed the empty cup to the man and cleared her throat. "Thanks for the drink, bud!" She propped both hands on her hips, the trademark glint in her eyes returning.

"Soooo. The bad guy isn't gonna pummel itself! Chop-chop now."

She rolled up her sleeves and marched ahead of him, initiating the walk.

Edited by Haine

"Chop-chop, indeed," Freyd whispered in response, sensing the unspoken secrets behind Haine's words without knowing their details.  She often left so much unspoken, he'd found.  Always elusive.  Always covering her true motives and feelings.  He didn't need to know, so long as it didn't endanger the guild.  If she wanted to hold onto her truths, so be it.  It was her prerogative.  As a friend, he would respect that.

"This dragon is a bit more wily than the last.  He likes to set little snares and traps.  You'll like him."  Given her penchant for small cuddly things, it surprised him somewhat that she was okay with slaughtering the hatchlings.  Funny how people draw their lines to suit their needs.  He did no different.  But, did she even realize it?  Haine - the Blue Lady of Facades.  The title tickled his fancy, though he dare not say it aloud for fear that it would offend.  

"He should be up ahead.  You can do the honours, if you wish.  We both know that I'd likely end up falling down a hole or something if I tried."  Self depreciation is such a useful tool, isn't it Haine?  So fitting to return the same trick and turn of phrase.  

The heels of her combat boots clicked against the cobblestone path. She regretted how she let her mind wander out of nowhere. She cringed at her snappy reaction, it was only an act of haste to keep the mood light. She didn't want to throw an unsolicited soap and make him uncomfortable. She untied the ribbon from her wrist and worked her long blue locks into a ponytail. Something to keep her preoccupied while the other spoke.

At the mention of the dragon, she felt a slight sense of guilt. All the dragons in this quest line could be innocent hatchlings, criminally adorable. "Yeah, and I'm sure the bastard's just as cute as the last one! They know what's up." She gestured to the sky, alluding to the developers. She reassured herself that they were just pixels. They were cute on purpose. A distraction,  a middle finger from the devs. She could see it coming from a mile away. Nonetheless, business was business. Overcome by a recent thirst for success, she was on a roll.

She chortled at his remark. "Well, as amusing as it would be to watch, that's not on my agenda." She grinned over her shoulder and moved ahead, taking the lead. 

"Have at'em!  I've recently punched dragons, head-butted dragons, slipped on dragon shit and had one actively gnawing on my hand while some guild newbies held stabbing practice on it."  Freyd sauntered along behind her, watching her tied hair fighting her ribbon in its desire to ride freely in the wind.  His own hair was so completely unruly that he never bothered with such things.  At least it didn't grow in here.  It was always to annoying when it got in the eyes.

"As weird as it may sound, it's been rather relaxing to keep running these quests with different people.  Elora and Katoka are making good progress, though we should catch up and be able to have you join them soon.  Ruler also asked me to help her out with the chain.  I'll be a virtual dragon-hunting expert, at this rate."  Freyd was also keenly aware that there were few quests remaining for him to finish.  He'd soon have to find other sources of SP, or simply accept that repetition was going to happen, or both.

"...Seriously?"

The bluenette gaped at the mention of dragon shit. The poor man had a knack for luck, didn't he? Or lack thereof. "Your luck seems real... shitty." She eyeballed him for a reaction to her pun, like a toddler thinking they're hilarious - something comparable to it. A running gag for her was Freyd's slip ups, such as the iconic brawl with the Money King. She stifled a laugh for as long as she could until a chuckle escaped.

"You're gettin' to that point, aren't you?" She noted Freyd's improvement in a blink of an eye. He was up there now, at that monotonous stage where quests ran dry and it was mostly repetition. There was no longer an element of surprise to these quests, a good thing in the sense that they'd know what was ahead, but a drag nonetheless because... where was the fun in it anymore? Haine nodded along to Freyd. "Ahh, Elora's going?" Golden eyes lit up. "Perfect! I'll finally get to speak with her, properly."

She couldn't talk for much longer when the hatchling's lair beeped on her quest marker. They were a hair away from the nest. "Well," she sighed, summoning Divine Piercer. She threw a rock at the nest and whistled. "Yoo-hoo! Over here bud!" The criminally adorable hatchling flew down with a screech. She stuck out her bottom lip in a pout. "O-Oh no. This one is so much cuter than the last one..!"

With trained skill, she dodged the dragon's slashes. She folded her arms and looked at Freyd. "So tell me, dragon slayer. The real difficulty is that they get cuter, isn't it?" The yellow hatchling pounced above her and she shrieked. She slid under it and regained stance. "Fine, fine. Sorry bud!" She twirled her glaive and skewered through the hatchling's skull. The disparity was evident in the way her blade pierced through like butter.

Spoiler

ID: #169372

BD: 7 [ HIT ] // 19*15-35=250 DMG

Party:

Haine | HP: 1290/1290 | EN: 112/126 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 4 | BLD:36

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1170/1170 | EN:114/114 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:46

Enemy:

Zylara - the Quartz Hatchling | HP: 175 |  MIT: 35 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 0 | DMG: 65

Edited by Haine

"Awww... I didn't even get to punch it in the nose this time!"  Freyd laughed, remembering his last encounter with the beast.

"Yeah.  It's getting to that stage.  There are a handful left that I need to finish, including this chain.  Some are pretty tough and can't be run without a strong group.  I've also managed to scrounge up about two score sub-dungeon maps, which we can run with the guild's most senior members.  Between ChaseR, Kiluia, Raidou, yourself and I, we should have enough firepower and a good mix of single and multi-target options."  Freyd paused, realizing that he'd been rambling.  "Sorry, professional habit.  I've spent so much time scouring Aincrad for traces of the Sundered Spire and other loose end thread and plots.  It can be hard not to talk shop sometimes."  He jumped back into it without even realizing.

"That reminds me!  I still need to arrange that staff meeting..."

"Hah." She wringed her wrist and dropped the glaive, shiny matter scattering as it disappeared. She nodded along to Freyd. The small talk was much appreciated, if there was anything that peeved her, it was a comrade who didn't have much to say. "I'm not quite at that wall yet, but I'm getting there." She propped her hands on her hips and turned to him.  "It's gonna be a drag and I'll need a team, so you know I'm down." The mention of the bluehead brought him to mind. They had quested a few days ago, thanks to her moseying her way into his personal space. He didn't seem to thrilled and she made... a fool of herself. After that situation, Haine would never trust another quest broker.

The other's apology prompted a wave of dismissal and a chortle from the bluenette. "You're totally fine. But me? I don't have the brain for all that strategy." She quirked her bottom lip and looked off to the side, making a face. "I let the others be my brain. I'm here at their command." She shrugged. "Just in case you were wondering why I'm quiet at meetings."

He went silent as she spoke, listening carefully to her tone, and watching her body language.

"You're rather hard on yourself, aren't you?"  He said it quietly, so as not to embarrass her, but it was obvious that Haine's self-esteem was not as rock solid as it might appear from a distance.  She put on a brave face.  "Look, Haine, I'm not going to pry, but if you ever need to chat, or anything, let me know."  He patted her gently on the shoulder.  "M'kay, little sister?"  It may have been too personal a reference.  His judgment on these things was always a little off, but he meant well.  Hopefully, it would mean something to her.

"Now!  We need to grab a bite before going to smite that third dragon... again.  If we smash through this quickly, we can catch you up with Elora and Katoka and make this a proper full-guild run!"  He grinned as he started listing off assorted restaurants in the area, hoping that the change in topic would help Haine feel more at ease.

Was she that transparent?

She brought a hand up to her head and scratched it. "Eheh... I guess so?" She shrugged her shoulders. Hard on herself she was. Haine's demon was self criticism, her low self esteem and drive to improve at their wits end. She wore a tougher front for the most part, until people got to know her. She overshared, it was in her disposition to do so eventually. Hearing the other's gentle reassurance warmed her. The mention of little sister was unexpected but... she didn't mind it. Seeing a warmer side of Freyd was nice. He was, for a lack of better words, pretty chill.

"Okay. Thanks bro!" 
She smiled at the gesture of kindness, corners of her eyes crinkling.

The topic change was salivating. "Yes, FOOD! I'm starving." She had eaten only moments ago, but her appetite knew no bounds. "I want barbecuee." She twisted on her heels, facing the path back to town. "If they're all gonna be this easy, it'll be a cakewalk. We got alll day." She waved her hand in dismissal. 

"Barbeque..."  Freyd pondered for a second before remembering that little spot he'd found on the far side of Urbus.  They had the best roasts, usually on full display, basted and simmering under an open sun.  The smoke and scents along could render you berserk.  His mind drifted for a moment, wondering if it would be possible to bottle that as a consumable.  The thought was quickly shunted away as he started blabbering on about the vast assortment of sauces and condiments they had available, and the various sides that were available.  There was also apparently an authentic digital gelato place right across the street - whatever that was supposed to be.

The scene faded as the two of them walks slowly down the far side of a low, rolling hill, small brooks babbling around them soon absorbed the fading conversation.  It had been a good day, and much still remained to be done in those that were to follow.

Thread Summary:

Haine receives:

3 SP (1 page, +1 event, +1 quest)

200 col

<Zylara’s Quartz> [Vanity Quest Item] : 1 of 9, collect all 9 and meet whom that waits before you, only then will you get the grand prize.

Freyd receives (quest repeated):

2 SP (1 page, +1 event)

200 col