[PP-F2] Look, Look with your Special Eyes [Let There Be Light] (Freyd)

"Who should I recruit today." It had been about a day since he did the [Venomous Warg] quest and he felt like he was finally on a roll again with leveling. It was difficult to feel like he was making much head way because all he was doing was low level quests, or doing quests too high for him to do any damage on. However, he was now finally getting a hold on things. He decided to take the [Let There Be Light] quest on the second floor so he could see how combat worked in different levels of light. He was unsure of who to ask for help. He thought of Grimm and Valentine, but Valentine he messaged too much for questing, and Grimm did the long four-part quest with him a few days earlier. He thought of Chase but shook his head, not sure if he could trust the man after the Guild Meeting. He finally thought of Freyd and how he said to let him know whenever he wanted to go questing again. "Might as well." He muttered and opened up his messages.

Dear Freyd. Hey, would you be willing to accompany me on the "Let There Be Light" quest on the second floor?

Spoiler

Level 11
HP: 220
EN: 22
LD: +1
SD: +1
DMG: +1

Equipped:
Rare Tier 1 1HSS: Paralyze, Bleed
Uncommon Tier 1 Light Armor: Evasion
Perfect Tier 1 Trinket: Loot Die +3

Skills:
Gathering
1HSS Rank 1
Searching Rank 1

Aquan: HP: 220 | EN: 22 | DMG: 2 | EVA: 1 | LD: 4 | SD: 1 | PARA | BLD |

Freyd sat in the guild hall reviewing a slew of field and status reports on assorted tasks and threat which he made it his business to monitor.  Logistic schedules, supply inventories, training regimens and updates on the whereabouts of various PKers rounded out the lot.  Like a spider sitting at the centre of a complicated web of infinitely streaming vibrations, he watched, listened and waited.  Sitting upon an ornate, oak chair, stained nearly black with a hint of deep burgundy, Freyd's elbows rested on a matching desk.  The room was otherwise white, including the floors, walls and ceilings.  Two-dozen UI windows sat open before him as his red-tinged eyes scanned every one of them.  If only he actually had eight, he thought, this might go faster.

Then, one message caught his attention.  A guild member requesting aid.  He noted the identity and the subject.  Moments later, the chair sat empty, swiveling in circles without an occupant.  Offers and promises meant a great deal to the Whisper.  He gave neither lightly, nor would he ignore them when called upon to fulfill.  This quest also meant something more to him than most.

To: Aquan

Meet you in Urbus in 5 minutes.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1630/1630 | EN:175/175 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | VAMP OFF:163 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:81

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 80
HP: 1630/1630
EN: 175/175

Stats:
Damage: 20
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:81
VAMP OFF:163
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:5

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 4]
Martial Arts [Rank 3]
Quick Change [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Night Vision
Vengeful Riposte

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

Aquan smiled softly at the response. He did not expect Freyd to come to help so fast, but he was very happy to see it nonetheless. He wondered what the man did everyday. He also noticed that he was not very close with the man. Knowing he did two quests with him, now going on a third, he was hoping to change that. "My social ability is not a positive trait of mine. I need to improve it, improving it means talking to someone, conversing with them. I suppose I could ask about the guild more and devolve from there. Hmm, I guess we will find out when he gets here."

A few minutes past and he can see Freyd coming. He smiles and waves to the man, adjusting his jacket as he walks over to the man. "Hello Freyd, thank you for joining me." He smiles and nods to the man. "Would you like to get going? Or do you have any errands in town that you need to run?"

"Hi...err... no, I'm good, thanks."  Freyd chuckled softly at the offer.  "I tend to stay prepared at all times.  O&I keeps me on my toes."  He gestured towards the city gates, politely suggesting that they should be on their way.  

"Forgive me if I seem rushed.  The floor boss raid on level 25 will be starting shortly.  Some of the more senior guild members are scrambling about trying to complete last minute preparations.  This will be my first time joining such a raid, and I mean to be as ready as I can."  Grabbing a pair of steaming croissant from a bakery window as they passed, Freyd seamlessly transferred the col and offered one to his companion as they walked.

"I don't imagine much has changed with you either, since yesterday.  But it's good to see you keeping up the pace on your questing.  You're in a great position to make fast progress.  This particular quest is also good for the feels.  Most of them don't carry the same sort of heartfelt reward."  He fell silent after speaking those words, a small, pensive smile upon his lips.

'How ironic that I should have taken so long to figure that out,' he confessed only to himself.

"Oh... You do not need to help me if you do not have the time. This can wait till afterwards, or even I can find someone else..." He paused, wondering if that was a good response. "But thank you nonetheless, I appreciate the support you are giving me." Aquan smiled and took the croissant from Freyd, biting into it quickly.

"What are some of the things you are doing to prepare? And what caused you to join this raid fight? Also, what is your placement in the fight? I can see you as a DPS, or maybe you'd be a support with DPS capacity like Valentine. I'm not sure what I would do if I was out there." He trailed off for a moment. "I apologize. If you have not noticed I tend to ramble. I talk a lot when I have a lot of thoughts ready to come out."

"Oh, also. Things have changed. Leveled up to 11, and someone named Raidou gave me money for looting equipment and. An. APARTMENT... WITH a kitchen." Aquan looked at Freyd, very confused by what he had just said. "Does he do this a lot?!"

Freyd clasped the taller man's shoulder, giving it a firm squeeze.

"Hey!  Don't worry about it.  I make it a standing offer to help other guild members, as others have helped me.  Don't ever feel like it's an imposition."  The gloved hand withdrew as suddenly as it arrive.

"I'm DPS for sure.  Makes the most sense, given that I've not fought alongside half of the current batch of frontliners.  They don't know what I can do, for the most part.  Tanks and healers need to be the most reliable.  I've been grinding my ass off since I finally built up the nerve to step foot outside the Town of Beginnings."  Freyd shook his head, still berating himself for having cowered there for as long as he did, paralyzed by fears and fictions that were nothing more than fabrications of his own mind.  Mention of Raidou brought him back to the moment.

"Rai?  Oh, yeah.  He's like that.  Guild leader and philanthropist.  I've done the same myself, on occasion.  You got those mats I sent, right?"

"YES." He said and looked at Freyd. He almost forgot the absolute massive amount of materials that was put into his inventory just randomly throughout a day. "I've been using them and I completely forgot to say anything. Thank you very much for them. They have gotten my to the 6th rank of Crafting out of 10, which is very nice to see. But yes, your investment into me as profited." He laughed a little, a rare sight to see him trying his hand at a joke.

The two of them slowly got closer and closer to the quest marker. "What should we do about combat? I have some abilities, but they are very small. I'm not sure if you want to close the combat down very fast, or have me practice my combat on them. Also, what should I be expecting when we get to the combat? Light seems to have something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure why."

Freyd waved off the man's thanks. 

"It was a genuine offer when I first made it in the guild hall.  Those who put in the effort deserve some extra reward, and we are supposed to be a crafting guild, at least officially."  His face scrunched up as he said it, seemingly finding it off that the near-army Firm Anima had become of late might somehow still be thought of as some sort of quirky crafting club.  It felt especially off because he never crafted anything directly as a merchant.  

"Combat is at your discretion.  Operating in the dark taught me the value of Night Vision early on.  These bats won't be a problem, and I doubt that they would give you much of a challenge either."  He seemed pensive again.   "Actually, this gives me an idea."  Quickly opening a new UI, he summoned a pair of arctic-white wraps around his hands and forearms that stood out in stark contrast to his otherwise dark garments.

"I've been meaning to try this for a while."  A Cheshire-like grin spread across his face, as he flexed both hands into fists.

Freyd replaces Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1) with Mourning Frost Bindings (T3-MA, Keen 1, Bleed 1, Freeze 1)

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1630/1630 | EN:175/175 | DMG:17 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:3 | KEEN 1 | BLEED 1 | FREEZE 1 | LD:5 | BH:81

He noticed Freyd's scrunched up face and he gave a confused look, but did not question it. "I suppose so yes, we are a crafting guild. I wonder how many people in the guild are actually common crafters. I try my best to keep up with my crafting, but sometimes I fall behind a day or two just by being busy doing other things, for example, questing. What is your profession?" He shrugged as they approached the ravine. He knew that light was going to be low, but he did not know how dark it was actually going to be.

Aquan took a tentative step towards the beginning area of the ravine, looking back at Freyd as he puts the wraps on and smiles. "Oh, you have martial arts? That's surprising because you use a sword. Is it hard to study it? I'm assuming that it is some sort of quest because I can not put my SP into it when I begin to level up. Also is it difficult to get the little girl? I haven't dealt with kids that much in this game yet."

"I'm a merchant, by trade.  If you ever need some basic supplies, feel free to check out the shelves at Freyd Edges at Angel's Point on floor 13.  Two other players, Quip and Dingo, help be run the place.   Just... watch yourself around Quip.  She has a bit of an edge and temper herself."  He gave Aquan a wink, though he suspected the man would have to find out the hard way, like so many others.

Drawing out a length of rope from his inventory, Freyd set himself to tying a secure knot around a nearby oak with a trunk nearly two feet thick and a widely splayed set of roots.  Tugging at it a few times, he smiled while he worked, listening to Aquan chatter as they went.  Not a great trait on a stealth mission, but a welcome sign of reality in an otherwise artificial world.  

"Some settings get a bit cramped when you're fighting with a massive metal blade.  While a two-hander straight sword is a great, versatile weapon, it lacks a bit of punch against single opponents.  Putting in a bit of effort on martial arts helps to round out my options.  But your point is well taken: there are never enough skill points."  Grapping the rope, he leaned over to glance down into the deep crevice beside them.

"The girl spawns randomly in the caverns below.   I hope you don't mind bats."

Without another word, the Whisper jumped over the edge and slid into darkness.  Aquan really hoped that he was still holding that rope.

The man nodded when he mentioned going to his shop and grabbing supplies he might need in order to craft. "I believe I will in the future. I'm still working on going through the materials you got for me, but I may need some in the future, it really just depends on the speed of my crafting and if I ever get a major amount of orders in my shop. So far only one person has bought something, the rest are sitting there, or used on other people."

Aquan's eyes went wide as a rope was produced and he began tying it around a tree. It wasn't his first time in a ravine, but he was severely lacking his spelunking gear from the real world. "Oh dear, I see we are spelunking now." Aquan produced a portion of basic rope that players are given in the game. He does a similar technique to Freyd, regretting taking the quest for a moment as he did it. "I suppose we just go in- Oh he's gone."

Aquan tightened his knot and approached the cavern where the man leapt, peering into the darkness. "Not seeing the bottom isn't that bad.... Yes it is." He slowly got down to the ground and slid into the ravine, holding on to the rope and wishing the light was going to follow him.

'They attack during the descent,'  he thought to himself, sensing Aquan's anxiety at, well... seemingly everything.  Who was he to judge?  He'd been so paranoid that the system was out to get him personally that he'd hidden himself in the Town of Beginnings for years.  It seemed like a lifetime ago, now.  And that was as like the truth of it.  He hadn't let himself live in so long that he'd lost himself.  It felt, rather appropriately, much like dangling from a rope surrounded by a dark void.  Save that, this time, he could actually see.

Finding purchase to build some momentum proved troublesome, so he used what was present. Stepping off one bat as he flew off provided both spin and leverage and enable him to find purchase enough for an overly elaborate spin.  It wasn't elegant, by any means, but proved effective nonetheless.  A startled squeak was promptly followed by a sickly spat as the bat smeared itself across the cave wall, driven by his blow.

"Bats," he warned to his partner.  "Just leave them be and they should come back at me.  I think there's only one left."

Spoiler

Tornado Kick (6x AoE, +2 for hits): 8 EN - (Rested 1/2, Finesse 3) = 4 EN

ID #180143 | BD: 7+3=10 (hit).  Freyd deals (6*17=102) damage to Cave Bat #1.
ID #180144 | BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Cave Bat #2.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1630/1630 | EN:171/175 | DMG:17 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:3 | KEEN 1 | BLEED 1 | FREEZE 1 | LD:5 | BH:81
Aquan: HP: 220 | EN: 22 | DMG: 2 | EVA: 1 | LD: 4 | SD: 1 | PARA | BLD |

[1,0] Cave Bat #1 | HP: 0/50 | DMG: 20 (50-102)
[0,0] Cave Bat #2 | HP: 50/50 | DMG: 20

"Leave them alone, got it." Aquan stayed where he was as he slowly got down to the ground. He heard combat all around him, but unfortunately he was not able to see what was happening. "Freyd, what is going on? I unfortunately can not see anything." He pulled out his sword and held it in front of him, hoping to protect himself from the dangerous bats in the dark. He could hear fluttering all around him, but he wasn't able to do anything about it.

Aquan gripped the hilt of his sword tighter and heard movement around him. The death of one of the bats soothed him a little bit, but he was worried about the second bat that just had its friend get killed. "Freyd I- I think I can hear it." He paused and spun around and thrusted his sword out into the void. His sword scrapped loudly against the rock, sending up a couple of sparks. "Okay, I did not find it."

Spoiler

ID: 180145 BD: 1 -1 = 0 [Miss] MD: 6 - 1 = 5 [Miss]

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1630/1630 | EN:171/175 | DMG:17 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:3 | KEEN 1 | BLEED 1 | FREEZE 1 | LD:5 | BH:81
Aquan: HP: 220 | EN: 20/22 | DMG: 2 | EVA: 1 | LD: 4 | SD: 1 | PARA | BLD |

[1,0] Cave Bat #1 | HP: 0/50 | DMG: 20 (50-102)
[0,0] Cave Bat #2 | HP: 50/50 | DMG: 20

Edited by Aquan

Releasing the rope, Freyd fell like a stone, his Night Vision granting him perfect view of the battlefield.  The giant flying mouse flipped and rolled with uncanny agility, whirling to avoid Aquan's strike and moving directly into his path.  

*THUD*

A well-placed knee driven into the thing's head was more than enough to flatten it, popping it like some sort of confetti-filled balloon and momentarily illuminating the cavern.  A whimpering in the distance was replaced by a gasp as tiny eyes witnessed the burst of light with hopeful wonder.

"She's near, Aquan.  Call to her, and head towards your left.  I'll stay here, watching for more and to give you an echo you can use to find your way back."

Freyd struggled with the emotions that came with this part of the quest.  Everything else he could deal with coldly, logically, and ruthlessly, if necessary.  Children in pain were a weakness that he had never managed to close off.

Thank goodness for that, at least.

Spoiler

Five Swords (x5 Stun): 8 EN - (Rested 2/2. Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 3 EN

ID #180148 | BD: 4+3=7 (hit).  Freyd deals (5*17=85) damage to Cave Bat #2.

Keen triggers

Aquan: HP: 220 | EN: 20/22 | DMG: 2 | EVA: 1 | LD: 4 | SD: 1 | PARA | BLD |

[1,0] Cave Bat #2 | HP: 0/50 | DMG: 20 (50-85)

Aquan jumped a bit as the dark cavern was filled with the noise of dying bats. "Fre- Oh okay they are gone." Aquan sighed a little bit and leaned against the rock wall in the cavern. Freyd mentioned looking for the girl and he nodded as if Freyd could see him. "Yeah.. Yes I will." He sighs and stands up, brandish his sword.

"Hello? Miss? I'm here to rescue you? That is if we can find each other." He called out into the dark and heard his voice echo down the various caverns. After a moment, too long in his mind, he heard a soft voice. "H-Hello? Is someone there?" Aquan's eyes perked up and he used his sword to tap on the walls to help guide his movement. After a moment he heard a soft "Oh."

Aquan quickly sheathed his sword and bent down, looking around. "Miss? I'm right here. Please reach out." He felt a soft hand on his knee. Aquan takes the soft hand and guides the girl to stand behind him. "Okay, we are going to see my friend. He's very strong and can help us." He smiles and starts to lead her to where Freyd is.

Freyd had made use of the time Aquan spent searching to tie the end of the rope into a suitable harness for Aquan and the girl, then waited for their return, counting out numbers to give them an signal to home in on.  It was low tech, but surprisingly effective.  Once they found him, he tied the improvised harness around Aquan's waist.  It fit in such a way that allowed him cradle the girl in a manner that would prevent her fall.

"Give me just a moment.  I'll have to climb topside in order to pull you both up.  Just keep her safe a moment, will you?"  Without waiting for a reply, Freyd jumped up, placing a foot on Aquan's should to leapfrog higher, and them scurried up the rope until the blinding light peering down from the crevice mouth made it impossible to see him any longer.  The rope continued to shake for another few seconds, and then everything went still.  

They were left alone in the dark, and the girl started to whimper, clutching Aquan's chest without warning.  He could feel her trembling through his armor.

"O-Okay. Be safe." He muttered to Freyd and held the young girl, frowning a bit when she began whimpering and trembling. I need to say something. Maybe having a sibling would have helped this situation. I need to help her. He sighed and held the young girl tighter. "Hey.. Hey you're going to be okay. Want to know why?" He tries his best to smile and make his voice a bit happier. "Just count to 100. I know it sounds strange, but if you count to 100, and close your eyes, things will be okay. By the time you hit 100 and open your eyes, this will all be a memory." He felt the rope start to get taught, and his body slowly being lifted up.

The young girl was audibly counting to 100 as he slowly raised up from the cavern floor. By the time she got to 50, Aquan could see sunlight and quickly felt it against his skin. When 25 hit he was about to step on to the ground. And when she hit 10, Aquan was leaving the mouth of the cave. "3.. 2..1." The young girl paused for a moment and then opened her eyes, blinking a bit from the harsh change of light. "See? Only 100 seconds and you got the sun again. In less than a count of.. 1,000..  we should be back in town." He continued to hold on to the girl, not wanting to let her go. 

He turns to Freyd, feeling a little bit of water in his eyes. He mouths 'thank you' but doesn't offer much reasoning as to why as the two of them head back to town.

Climbing up the rope with remarkable ease, Freyd raced into carefully considered motion, making every action count as if someone's life was in danger.  It was a fiction, of course.  His priority was the child.  This quest had made quite an impact on him when he first did it.  There was something personal about his connection to it, and it surfaced in the form of unusual zeal.   Pulling the rope around a nearby tree trunk like an improvised pulley, he hauled the both of them up slowly but steadily.  That was the key: not to rush, but to ensure that they both made it safely out without any further fear or jarring memories to carry.  He'd grown all too weary of such dread and would do whatever he could to spare others from it. 

Once Aquan's torso was clear of the crevice, he secured the rope and went over to aid them both move away from its edge.  The child was eased down to the ground first, Freyd whispering something to her that Aquan couldn't quite hear.  It made her smile, and grew even wider when he handed her some sort of pastry.  Standing to help Aquan get out of the jury-rigged harness, he paused as he noticed the look in the man's eyes and the silently proffered words.  A small smile and look of understanding crossed his face.  He said nothing in reply, but nodded the tip of his cowl in silent acknowledgement.

"Come on," Freyd offered.  "Let's get you both back to town and we can have a nice warm drink, on me."  Patting Aquan's shoulder reassuringly, he urged them back towards town.

He nodded and wiped away a tear from his eye and took the little girl's hand. "Would you like to learn about the nature around us? Could be a perfect distraction. Like.... There! See that tree? That is a..."

The two of them continue the walk as Aquan gives an impromptu nature lesson to the little NPC girl. He knew that she would not remember any bit of this after the two of them returned her to her family, but it was comforting to him to have this interaction with her. The two of them got closer and closer to the point where they needed to "turn her in" to her parents. Aquan sighed softly and placed a hand on her shoulder. "See? That was totally less than 1,000." He smiles and watches her run to her family. The family, through teary eyes, thanks the two of them and the quest is completed.

Aquan pauses for a moment and turns to Freyd. "I.. Good luck on the battle. You are capable of fighting so I believe you will be okay, but as along as you are safe, nothing should go wrong.... Thank you, for helping me with that." He turns to look at her. "She... Yeah." He sighs and turns back to Freyd. "I hope to not take up anymore of your time. Good luck guild leader." He smiles and nods at Freyd.

Freyd watched Aquan comfort the girl.  He was good with children and had a generous heart.  Aincrad's harsh and fickle nature would take its toll on him, in time.  Freyd wanted to grant him that time, if this was who he could somehow remain.  This place had a way of numbing even the brightest stars.  And then there were some, like him, who had just carried their baggage into the game with them.  This quest had somehow managed to reach through that anyway, and help him find some semblance of humanity within.

"You're welcome," he replied, seeming a bit surprised, "and this was in no way 'taking up' my time."  He watched the girl return to her parents, and the outpouring of volatile fear, relief and elation that followed.  It struck a chord; the same as last time.  "Anything you need, Aquan.  You are a fellow guild member, not a burden.  If it means that we can pull that off from time to time," he pointed to the tearful reunion occurring just a few feet away, "then it's absolutely worth our time.".

Feeling a flush of rare joy burgeoning within, Freyd turned and tugged his cowl down tightly over his head before stuffing his hands into his pockets and walking away.