[PP-F17] I would be lion if I thought this was easy. <<Herculean Labor>>

Valentine was a bit tired as he sent a message out to the guild. 

To: Firm Anima Members above level 30.
Anyone in the guild mind helping me with the Nemean Lion Quest. I am squishy and this thing looks like a suicide mob. Coordinates for the quest will be at [XX,YY] 17th floor.

He was requesting for assistance on a quest that was miles out of his league. He heard about the quest in passing but was never aware of the requirements to unlock it. That was until he listened to the ramblings of a drunkard NPC. Next thing Val knew he unlocked the quest. After reading the details he could only curse at the sadistic developers who would make such a torturous device. Valentine could not help but ponder if Kayaba really just wanted them all dead. He stood in front of the Coliseum waiting for a guild mate to show. Valentine had no doubt that a member would show. The seniors in the guild were eccentric and would often be on various floors doing all sorts of things. He would no be surprised if a members was already within walking distance.

Spoiler

Name: Valentine
Level: 25
HP: 500/500
EN: 50/50

Stats:
Damage: 8
Mitigation: 5
Evasion: 2
ACC: 2
REC: 2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Fury of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Curved Weapon)[DMG 3]
Armor: Blood of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Light Armor)[EVA 2][REC 1]
Trinket: Smile of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Jewelry)[ACC 2][REC 1]

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Light Armor [Rank 1]
First Aid [Rank 3]
Energize
Fishing

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Healer [Rank 1]
Meditation 
Concentration

Mods:
Hyperactive

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(+50 hp)*1

Housing Buffs:
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Working: +2 EXP to crafting attempts

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Valentine: HP: 500 | EN: 50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 5 | REC: 2 

Edited by Valentine

A dark figure emerged from the shadows making so little sound that it was easy to mistake it as just another part of the sunless haze beneath the vaulted masonry.  

"You called for assistance?  Valentine, isn't it?" A tilted cowl came forth, covering the man's head, but also instantly recognizable from past encounters.  

"I was impressed by your comments at the guild meeting.  It isn't easy to speak out when the crowd's mood is against you.  That took courage, and I respect it.  If you've no objection, I would give you the aid that you requested.  These lions carry quite the bite and their numbers make them especially dangerous."  Red eyes gazed over the warrior's regalia, assessing his potential with a merchant's eye.  "Not bad, but what say we skew the odds slightly in our favour?"

Tapping at a crisp two-dimensional field that was suddenly summoned, Freyd called forth a small collection of items and offered them to his companion.

Freyd offers Valentine:

Crème Brûlée | ACCURACY II: 171544
Smores | EVASION II: 1715332-2
Really, REALLY Burnt Bacon | T2 Mit 1: 164695
T1 Over-Health Potion of Special quality (+50 HP to maximum HP for thread)
(3x) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
1 x T1 Damage Potion of Uncommon quality. (+1 Damage)

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1750/1750 | EN:175/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87

Freyd Consumes:

Spoiler

Liquor of Light: Damage III: 173040
Fiery Dragon Roll: Mitigation +3 (T3): 170924
Artisan Carrot Cake: Accuracy +2: 175087
Smores | EVASION II: 171532-1
Breakfast Fry | PROTEIN II: 172351-2 + FILLED
Field Rations +2 (+120 HP)
[http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/19871-f13-merchant-freyd-edges-safe-zone/?do=findComment&comment=623998]

Stat Summary:

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 80
HP: 1630/1630 (+120)
EN: 175/175

Stats:
Damage: 20 (+3+3)
Mitigation: 79 (+45-45)
Evasion: 2 (+2)
Accuracy: 4 (+2)
BH:81 (+6)
VAMP OFF:163 (+12)
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:5

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 4]
Martial Arts [Rank 3]
Quick Change [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Night Vision
Vengeful Riposte

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

"I do not mind speaking out. I say what must be said and I am beholden to no woman, man, or beast." Calling Valentine surprised by the fact that Freyd showed up would be an understatement. At present point he believed Grimm had a higher chance of showing up and stripping in the square. Even if he worked underneath the guy it did not mean he knew him well. If Valentine cared about assassination's he would be fearing for his life.

Valentine looked over the stuff he was offered. "Thank you. I will take these. My build is built more towards support. I may have a sword but it is more for decoration at this point. It would be no use for me to try and directly battle it." Valentine started to eat the food he was given. The beginner potions was placed on his belt to use in an emergency. "We can start heading in now."

Valentine Accepts:
T1 Over-Health Potion of Special quality (+50 HP to maximum HP for thread)
(3x) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)

Val Consumes:

Spoiler

T1 Over-Health Potion of Special quality (+50 HP to maximum HP for thread)

Current Stats

Spoiler

Name: Valentine
Level: 25
HP: 550/550
EN: 50/50

Stats:
Damage: 8
Mitigation: 15
Evasion: 4
ACC: 2
REC: 2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Fury of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Curved Weapon)[DMG 3]
Armor: Blood of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Light Armor)[EVA 2][REC 1]
Trinket: Smile of Sekhmet (Tier 2/Perfect/Jewelry)[ACC 2][REC 1]

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Light Armor [Rank 1]
First Aid [Rank 3]
Energize
Fishing

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Healer [Rank 1]
Meditation 
Concentration

Mods:
Hyperactive

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(+50 hp)*1

Housing Buffs:
Working: +2 EXP to crafting attempts

Guild Hall Buffs:

Valentine: HP: 550 | EN: 50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

"Understood."  Freyd nodded as he gave confirmation, as it nothing else need be said between them.  There was no sign of ill will or malice about the man.  He seemed to be there purely to assist, as requested, and was first and foremost focused on the business at hand.

He led them to the outskirts of a nearby set of worn, marble ruins where the pride was known to gather.  It wasn't a far walk from Athenaia, where they had gathered.  Freyd filled the time with a bit of background info on the quest, just to fill the silence.

"The pride moves from location to location, daily, resting in the evenings.  Trying to attack before they settle would mean having to face them all at once, which would be a bad idea.  They pack a half-decent punch for their level, and they're bloody quick to boot.  If your role is support, that's fine.  I'll make a suitable nuisance of myself and keep their attention on me.  Just don't go taking random pot shots, or you'll be in the thick of things almost immediately.  I don't have the means to pull their aggro off you if you draw their ire."

A trio of tawny lionesses could be seen lounging on the outskirts of the ruins, like lazy sentinels pretending to keep watch.  Without another word or warning, Freyd charged forward, missing the first one as she ducked with ill timing to lick her paw, the other two suffering grievous wounds by comparison.

"Awww... dangit!" Freyd blared, cursing his luck.  "Every bloody time!!!"

Spoiler

Freyd activates Charge

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +4 for hits): 16 EN - (Rested 1/2, Finesse 3) = 12 EN

ID #179891 | BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Nemean Lioness #1
ID #179892 | BD: 9 (Crit +1, Charge +5, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (12*38=456-47=409) damage to Nemean Lioness #2.
ID #179893 | BD: 3+6-1-2=6 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (12*31=372-47=325) damage to Nemean Lioness #2.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1750/1750 | EN:163/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87
Valentine: HP: 550 | EN: 50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

[0,0] Nemean Lioness #1 | HP: 512/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2
[2,0] Nemean Lioness #2 | HP: 103/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (512-409)
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #3 | HP: 187/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (512-325)

Ferocious Bite: On a successful attack, Bleed will be applied. On a non-critical hits (after modifiers) it will deal 20 Bleed damage for 3 player posts, on natural critical hits applies 30 Bleed damage for 3 player posts. The two Bleed effects don't stack; the lion's overwrites this one.

Valentine was chewing on a smores marshmallow he kept in his mouth the entire time. He normally would not have an issue with swallowing white stuff. Marshmallows were the exception as he almost choked to death on one as a kid. It was the only reason he had a deep fear and respect for them.

Listening to Freyd was only considered slightly tedious. What the man was telling him was informative and worked for his benefit. Valentine just had a modicum of worry as he could not get a read on Freyd. The man came off as very enigmatic as if he was usually the smartest person in the room.

As the man just rushed into the battle Valentine had a slight change of heart. It seemed like a mental patient. "Sherry Hyperactive."  Valentine started using his own battle style. Using his familiar in mist mode he could activate his support skills while looking cool. 

"Let me know if you actually need me to start healing you. For now I am just making sure you have the needed energy to go all out. I am unsure about where your limits lay and I do not want to risk making a bad judgment call at the moment." He was speaking to Freyd in a calm matter as he observed the situation. 

Spoiler

Valentine activates Hyperactive on Freyd +3 EN regen for three posts.

ID #179902 | MD: 6 + 1 - 4= 3 (miss).   Nemean Lioness #1 misses Freyd
ID #179903 | MD: 3 + 1 - 4= 0  Nemean Lioness #2 misses Freyd
ID #179904 | MD: 9 (Crit. Bleed Applied).  Neman Lioness #3 deals (170 - 79=91) damage to Freyd

ID #179904 | CD: 1 Recovery does not apply for Val

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1750/1750 | EN:163/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding)
Valentine: HP: 550 | EN: 45 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2  (-5 EN from skill)

[0,0] Nemean Lioness #1 | HP: 512/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2
[2,0] Nemean Lioness #2 | HP: 103/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #3 | HP: 187/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 

Ferocious Bite: On a successful attack, Bleed will be applied. On a non-critical hits (after modifiers) it will deal 20 Bleed damage for 3 player posts, on natural critical hits applies 30 Bleed damage for 3 player posts. The two Bleed effects don't stack; the lion's overwrites this one.

Edited by Valentine

Cool.  Collected.  Aloof.  Analytical.  Calculating.  All of these terms came to mind as Freyd likewise completed his own cursory assessment of Valentine.  Here was a businessman, better approached with a transactional mien, than one of friendship or camaraderie.  Good.  He knew that language well, and would have no trouble adapting.  But would Valentine find value in any further form of exchange?  That was yet to be decided and of no immediate import.  The Whisper was factoring his own set of variables, all behind a calm, disinterested face.  It was the best one for battle, lest your foes catch a glimpse of your intentions.  He kept his tightly under wraps, at all times, and with good purpose.  Keeping Firm Anima safe required him to consider the unpalatable, the unlikeable and the impossible, as if all were viable choices.  A businessman might understand that. 

But, for now, it was time to dish out some lioness McStabbies.

"Conserve your energy, for now.  These are just sentries.  The next fight is the one that counts.

Spoiler

Freyd recovers 87 HP from BH.

Freyd loses 30 (-6 from Clean) = 24 bleed damage.

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +6 for hits): 18 EN - (Rested 2/2, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery [+4] ) = 10 EN

+3 EN regen for two more posts.

ID #180188 | BD: 3+6-2=7 (Hit).  Freyd deals (12*26=312-47=265) damage to Nemean Lioness #1.
ID #180189 | BD: 3+6-2=7 (Hit).  Freyd deals (12*26=312-47=265) damage to Nemean Lioness #2.
ID #180190 | BD: 3+6-2=7 (Hit).  Freyd deals (12*26=312-47=265) damage to Nemean Lioness #3.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1722/1750 | EN:153/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding)
Valentine: HP: 550 | EN: 45 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2  (-5 EN from skill)

[1,0] Nemean Lioness #1 | HP: 247/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (512-265)
[3,0] Nemean Lioness #2 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (103-265)
[2,0] Nemean Lioness #3 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (187-265)

Ferocious Bite: On a successful attack, Bleed will be applied. On a non-critical hits (after modifiers) it will deal 20 Bleed damage for 3 player posts, on natural critical hits applies 30 Bleed damage for 3 player posts. The two Bleed effects don't stack; the lion's overwrites this one.

• 2 weeks later...

"I can conserve me energy but setting up in advance can only put us at an advantage long term. I can use the mediation skill to give me a set energy recovery. It is only useful when I waste a certain amount of energy as I can never go above full." Valentine made a flourish with his hand as he activated another skill. The light eerie green mist entered Freyd as his energy levels went back up a bit. "As long as the lions are not targeting me and you self heal. The least I can do is provide you with some energy as compensation."

Valentine was actually feeling a bit relaxed at the moment. Freyd could probably handle all of the lions with ease. Valentine considered himself a lot of things. A leech was never one as he always put in work. His help may not have made a big difference at the moment, as his type of support only made itself known in protracted battles. "We can see if my support lasts the entire battle. I can take it as a training chance."

Spoiler

Valentine activates Energize on Freyd

ID #180315 | MD: 1 (C.Miss).  Nemean Lioness 1 Missed Freyd

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1722/1750 | EN:153/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding) (+8 EN)
Valentine: HP: 550/550 | EN: 35/50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2  (-10 EN from skill)

[1,0] Nemean Lioness #1 | HP: 247/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (512-265)
[3,0] Nemean Lioness #2 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (103-265)
[2,0] Nemean Lioness #3 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (187-265)

Edited by Valentine

Freyd acknowledged Valentine's suggestion and agreed.

"A worthy effort."   A quick feint to the right gave the sole remaining lioness the opening she wanted, only to see it shut with a precise upward strike the cleave through most of her torso before she popped like a balloon.   

"Your energy will hold.  Thank you for maintaining mine.  Few people realize that support is a role fulfilled by O&I.  I will help you develop your skills however you wish, so long as you use them for the benefit of the guild."  Freyd's eyes never left the ruins before them.  His weapon remained ready and on guard.  "Anyone who dismisses the values of these skills is denying themselves a winning edge."  

It would be easy to read into the man's words, but Valentine got the sense that this was merely blunt truth.  The captain had a pragmatic and business-like attitude, especially in combat.  It brooked no distractions and gave no evidence of falsehood.  He was a professional, if you could apply such a term to the madness of combat in this world.

"The lion should be guarded by three more lionesses.  Be ready."  

Spoiler

Freyd regains 28 HP from BH.

Freyd loses 30 (-6 from Clean) = 24 bleed damage.

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Finesse 3, Turn Recovery, +8 Energize) = 1 EN

ID #180319 | BD: 7+6-2=11 (hit, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (13*32=416-47=369) damage to Nemean Lioness #1.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1726/1750 | EN:152/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding - 2/3) (+8 EN)
Valentine: HP: 550/550 | EN: 35/50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

[2,0] Nemean Lioness #1 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 170 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (247-369)

"I hope you do not mind if I move right about here for a second."  Valentine heard the sound of the gate behind him and instinctively knew to move. A sub par player would not live long in SAO if they could not learn to listen to their reflexes. At Valentines level when he sensed danger he reacts first. It was why he moved away from the gate as it was opening. Spilling out a lion and its harem to attack the duo.

"My energy reserves is at a decent level to use the meditation skill I am going for it. After I come out of it I will get back to being useful."  Valentine felt the world take on a weird quality with the activation of the skill. It was like his vision became a watercolor as he regained his energy. Freyd was under attack but Valentine was not worried about it. If the man believed he was decent enough to match ChaseR in combat it meant is fighting ability was not shabby.

Spoiler

Valentine activates Meditation

ID #180323 | MD: 5+3-4= 4 (Miss) Nemean Lion Misses Freyd
ID #180325 | MD: 9 crit hit. Nemean Lioness #4 hits Freyd. 180 - 79 = 101 DMG Bleed ferocious bite bleed applied.
ID #180326 | MD: 10 crit hit. Nemean Lioness #5 hits Freyd. 180 - 79 = 101
ID #180327 | MD: 3+1-4= 0 (Miss) Nemean Lioness #6 Misses Freyd.

ID #180328 | CD:10 recovery procs +4 EN to Valentine

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1524 (-202)/1750 | EN:152/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding - 0/3) 
Valentine: HP: 550/550 | EN: 40/50  (+5 EN)| DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[0,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 838/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1 (+10 from mating call)

Conditioned Phase 'Royal Blood': The Lion will deal a minimum of 60 damage on each successful attack, even through Armor and Armor Abilities/Mods
King's Ferocity: On a successful attack, 55 Bleed damage for 5 player posts will be applied, regardless of being a critical hit or not.
Mating Call: A howl that will permanently increase the lion and the lionesses Damage per Attack by +10. Used every 2 turns (once every 3 turns) before any action. This ability does not use a post action to use, the Lion uses it from its first turn.

[0,0] Nemean Lioness #4 | HP: 512/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (+10 from mating call)
[0,0] Nemean Lioness #5 | HP: 512/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (+10 from mating call)
[0,0] Nemean Lioness #6 | HP: 512/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (+10 from mating call)

Edited by Valentine

Freyd seemed to ignore the vicious attacks layering slash upon slash across his body, even as a black ooze slipped over each wound, attempting to contain the damage.  Valentine's keen eye caught a narrowing of the Whisper's eyes and downward turn of the lips.  He was right.  Freyd didn't fight like ChaseR at all.  His was a colder, more methodical and ruthless approach, striking each beast in a controlled and optimized patterned designed to inflict maximum pain.  Freyd's goal wasn't to contain or manage, it was to eliminate.  

"No worries," he said as the cut deep into one of the lionesses, seemingly barely concerned by Valentine's choice, and yet perfectly aware of his position in the battle.  Freyd's blade trailed black vapour-like echoes behind it as he savaged their opponents.  Even the great Nemean Lion hesitated at the sight of such ferocity.  But there was no berserk rage behind it whatsoever.  This was cold, calculated logic and resolve focused on a single purpose: to kill everything before them.

Spoiler

Freyd regains 87 HP from BH

Freyd activates Charge.

Freyd suffers 30 bleed damage (1st of 3)

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +X for hits): 20 EN - (Rested 1/2, Finesse 3) = 16 EN

ID #180343 | BD: 5+6-1+1=11 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (12*31=372-82=290) damage to Nemean Lion.
ID #180344 | BD: 4+6-1-2=7 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (12*31=372-47=325) damage to Nemean Lioness #4.
ID #180345 | BD: 6+6-1-2=9 (hit, Charge +5, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*37=444-47=397) damage to Nemean Lioness #5.
ID #180346 | BD: 8+6-1-2=11 (hit, Charge +5, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*37=444-47=397) damage to Nemean Lioness #6.

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1524 /1750 | EN:152/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87 (Bleeding - 1st of 3) 
Valentine: HP: 550/550 | EN: 40/50  (+5 EN)| DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[1,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 548/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1 (838-290)

Conditioned Phase 'Royal Blood': The Lion will deal a minimum of 60 damage on each successful attack, even through Armor and Armor Abilities/Mods
King's Ferocity: On a successful attack, 55 Bleed damage for 5 player posts will be applied, regardless of being a critical hit or not.
Mating Call: A howl that will permanently increase the lion and the lionesses Damage per Attack by +10. Used every 2 turns (once every 3 turns) before any action. This ability does not use a post action to use, the Lion uses it from its first turn.

[1,0] Nemean Lioness #4 | HP: 187/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (512-325)
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #5 | HP: 115/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (512-397)
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #6 | HP: 115/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2  (512-397)

The ethereal state ended and Valentine felt himself brimming with energy. It was as if he could run a mile. Not that it was needed. "This one may not be of much use but I am casting it so I can run some calculations." Valentine used mist formed Sherry to use the first aid skill. The soft white from the skill surrounded Freyd in a saintly glow. He probably did not need the heal as his health shot up almost to full. Showing that the lions were not straining him at all.

Valentine noted the health Freyd had overall and the amount healed. Running the mental calculations he estimated about 11%-13% of Freyd health was healed. The number was proportionally the same as the amount healed when the skill was used on Grimm. His energy skills all seemed to work on a fixed amount. While the first aid skills worked on a percentage that could be influenced. Knowing when to apply the percentages could allow him to save energy and regulate the healing to a team.

Spoiler

Valentine regains +10 EN from Meditation

Valentine used Rank 3 first aid on Freyd  +210 HP. (-11 EN)

Valentine gaines +4 EN from recovery

ID #180362 | MD: 7+3-4= 6 Nemean Lion Hits Freyd. 145 - 79 = 66 DME + New Bleed.
ID #180363 | MD: 7 +1 - 4 = 4 (Miss) Nemean Lioness #4 Misses Freyd.
ID #180364 | MD: 4 +1 - 4 = 1 (Miss) Nemean Lioness #5 Misses Freyd
ID #180365 | MD: 8 +1-4= 5 (Miss) Nemean Lioness #6 Misses Freyd.

ID #180366 | CD: 7 Recovery becomes active

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1734 /1750 (+210)| EN:152/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87  
Valentine | HP: 550/550 | EN: 43/50 (+10, -11, +4)| DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[1,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 548/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1

[1,0] Nemean Lioness #4 | HP: 187/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #5 | HP: 115/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 
[1,0] Nemean Lioness #6 | HP: 115/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 

Edited by Valentine

Flashes of light and dark barraged the battlefield as Freyd decimated the remaining lionesses, clearing a path and cleaving into the lion with his blade.  The great cat recoiled and gave ground, staggered by the utter destruction of his pride.  He received a swift slash across his snout as reward for his distraction.  It was just him, now, facing off against two players.  

Freyd watched the beast's health bar dip into yellow.  Without the other cats, any hope he had of making a fight of this was now gone.  Slowly, they circled around each other, the black clad figure stepping lightly as the hefted the void blade high by his side readied in a proper guard.  Red eyes locked against red.  The lion roared, its hot breath washing over him.  The stench being considerably more potent than he had expected, Freyd exhaled, flaring his nostrils to detract from his watering eyes.

"Dude," he said to the lion.  "Breath mint."

Spoiler

Freyd regains 16 HP from BH

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +8 for hits): 20 EN - (Rested 2/2, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 15 EN

ID #180343 | BD: 5+6+1=12 (hit).  Freyd deals (12*26=312-82=230) damage to Nemean Lion.
ID #180344 | BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (12*33=396-47=349) damage to Nemean Lioness #4.
ID #180345 | BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (12*33=396-47=349) damage to Nemean Lioness #5.
ID #180346 | BD: 7+6-2=11 (hit, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*32=384-47=337) damage to Nemean Lioness #6.

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1720 /1750 | EN:137/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87  
Valentine | HP: 550/550 | EN: 43/50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[2,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 318/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1 (548-230)

[3,0] Nemean Lioness #4 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (187-349)
[3,0] Nemean Lioness #5 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (115-349)
[2,0] Nemean Lioness #6 | HP: 0/512 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 47 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 2 (115-337)

"Okay, I can go back to acting as a battery. My findings on my field medic skill should be 92% accurate overall. If you need any other type of help let me know." Valentine was offering to be polite. As Freyd took down the lionesses Valentine knew they were in the clear. Unless the boss had a berserk mode that could wipe out Freyd.  "Good job Captain. Show that Lion whose boss." Valentine was assuming this was the proper way to cheer and show support.

As his energy stayed at a decent level he called upon sherry, and he provided Freyd with more energy support. Valentine almost wish he had learned that cure skill. It would have been useful when it came to fighting these lions as the bleed damage being applied to Freyd was overall doing more harm then the attack from the Lion itself. It drove home the point of watching for hidden dangers.

Spoiler

Valentine uses Energize on Freyd

ID #180381 | MD: 8+3-4= 7 Nemean Lion Hits Freyd. 145 - 79 = 66 DME + New Bleed.

ID #180383 | CD: 8 recovery procs +4 EN

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1720 /1750 | EN:145/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87  
Valentine | HP: 550/550 | EN: 38/50 (+5, - 10)| DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[2,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 318/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1 

Edited by Valentine

Lancing forward, Freyd established a swinging rhythm the drove the lion back step after step, chipping away at its health bar just as shadowy contrails followed the whirling blade.  Dipping ever downward, they great cat's roar had become meaningless.  He had no longer any bite or claws worth bringing to the fight, and it was readily apparent.  He remembered fighting it before, alone.  It had been a greater challenge then, but so many things were.  Perhaps he was ready for the front line, after all?

The pattern played itself out to the inevitable conclusion.  Freyd watched the realization dawn in the Nemean Lion's face.  It was almost sad, but such was the way of things in this world.  In the final moment, the great king bent his head low.  Stepping sideways, the Whisper finished both his kata and his enemy.  The latter fractured and fell into the wind.

"Your methods are effective, Val.  Your tactics are sound.  But one question still needs answering: What is it that you want?"

Spoiler

Freyd regains 30 HP from BH

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 9 EN

ID #180385 | BD: 8+6+1=15 (hit, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (13*32=416-82=334) damage to Nemean Lion.

TEAM

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1720 /1750 | EN:136/175 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:175 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:87  
Valentine | HP: 550/550 | EN: 38/50 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 2 | MIT: 15 | REC: 2 

Enemies

[3,0] Nemean Lion | HP: 318/838 | DMG: 145 | MIT: 82 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -1 (318-334)

• 1 month later...

Valentine was using a bit more of his healing abilities when the last Lion fell. Val was certain that Freyd could have handled it alone. When Freyd asked Valentine about his wants, he temporarily froze, as if he was a deer looking at headlights. This question was asked in many ways from his time in the real world till now. The surprise came from the fact that the one to ask him the question was Freyd. He was unused to being checked on by the higher ups.

"It depends on how you are phrasing the question. If you are referring to what I want out of life  the answer is to be happy. If you are asking what do I want out of my playstyle then it is to be able to keep the people I care about alive. I guess that will still go back down to happiness. As dying teammates could be pretty sad. Why do you play?"

"My answer has changed over time.  When I first entered, it was a personal interest, as well as a job.  I'd been asked to write a review of the game and bring feedback to some of my sponsors.  That all feels alike a lifetime ago, now." 

Images flashed before his face, mostly friends, some closer than others.  The gathered host of the Firm Anima stood in stark contrast to ChaseR's rage-filled face as the two of them squared off in the depths of floor 21.  He still had no idea what blue boi had actually expected to achieve with his ridiculous challenge?  Satisfaction?  It was doubtful that any amount of physical punishment was likely to produce whatever sensations eluded him.  Freyd had just become the object of his anger: the symbol of his own frustrations with the world in which they were all trapped.

"I could go with the cliche and say that I want to get everyone out of here, but that honestly feels more like other peoples' goals than mine.  I'm happier in here than I ever was out there.  That must mean that I'm still searching for an answer.  For now, my goals are more direct: build up the guild, keep people safe, hone them into something that might one day help us cut Kayaba down to size.  Not a very noble objective, is it?"  

Freyd shrugged.  

"Whatever my end will be, I don't expect nobility will have anything to do with it.  I'm just a janitor.  I clean up whatever messes I find, and then move on."

Valentine gave a nod of acknowledgement before responding to the question. "Nobility is a very subjective thing at times. Honestly, if it was not for the fact I already lost a man I loved I would not mind staying in SAO. I just want to get out to visit his grave. I at least owe him that much. Even that desire fades as time passes. Visiting the memorial on the first floor feels just like being at a gravesite. In the real world loosing people is just as easy. Only difference overall is the fact that I do not have to pretend to be happy. As my father believes being very rich should be enough to never want."

Shaking his head Valentine abruptly stopped speaking. He was starting to ramble and give backstory. Trusting a person always seem like a good idea. If it was not for Sage's death Valentine would be a lot more open with everyone. Being too trusting was a lesson paid in blood.

"I'm sorry, for your loss I mean.  There is so much about members of the guild that remains unsaid.  Everyone had their own private pain, and the trust required to share it takes time to earn." 

Freyd wasn't entirely sure how to respond to the comment about wealth, but had noted that Valentine was often more open to addressing conversation in mercantile terms.  He'd acquired more treasures than most, but saw it as little more than a means to an end: raw potential to be gathered and applied judiciously to achieve results.  Linking it to the concept of happiness simply never occurred to him.

"Is that your goal, then?  To amass as much as you want or can?  It has its rewards, but also its limitations.  No one here can do everything they want or need on their own.  I know.  I've tried and failed.  In the end, cooperation is key."  Freyd paused, hesitating while he estimated whether he had the required trust collateral to ask.  It was worth a shot.

"What was his name?"

"Sage" It was the only word Val wanted to give in reply. He was feeling a tad bit uncomfortable. He was baring himself already to a man that was only in the guild with him. The same man that was standing opposite to ChaseR. It was giving Valentine a conflicted feeling as he considered Freyd not to be bad. He was not as open and cool as ChaseR, but Freyd was cool in his own way that is hard to describe.

Manners came first before a lot of thing. It would be rude of him to just leave so he felt like he should give Freyd a mini explanation about himself before departing. "Money was never an important resource to me. My father is the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation." Valentine always lowered it down to being billions from the trillions that it was. He had to remain humble. He rubbed his neck before opening his HUD and pretending to read it. "I actually have to leave for a bit. We can meet up later and hang out. Feel free to even call me for a quest." Valentine prepared to depart. Giving Freyd a moment to speak. After it was all said and done he would turn in his quest and head home.

"I've done nearly every quest there is, Val, but I'm always open to helping a guildmate.  That has never changed, for you, or anyone else, including ChaseR.  You'll draw your own conclusions, of course.  I've never expected anything else from anyone.  That was the whole point of the meeting: to see what they would choose when faced with the prospect of judging one of their own, and in so doing, themselves.  Be well, and call me when you need me, or even just to chat.  I think we have more in common than both of us initially thought."

Stuffing his hands into a pair of hidden pockets, Freyd tugged his cowl tight over his head and walked into the direction of the setting sun.  Small wisps of arid, dusty ground stirred as he stepped, vanishing into the light breeze that pretended to scour the savannah.  After a few steps, just like the dust, he too was gone.

Thread Summary:

Valentine receives:

7 SP (1 page, +1 event, +5 quest)
5200 col
25 T2 mats

<<Nemean Fur>> [Light Armor, Tier 2, Uncommon Item]: 'Bloodclot' - A cape made out of the Nemean lion's hide, said to be impervious to the elements and all but the most powerful weapons. (Last Attack reward, on the Lion)

Freyd receives:

2 SP (1 page, +1 event)
5200 col
25 T2 mats