[PP-09] This place smells familiar... <<Bandit Camp>>

"Yōgan Village?"  His eyes squinted amidst the dingy red, grey and black of the floor.  He recognized it more by smell than anything else.  Freyd still felt like he was walking in a haze since waking in the aftermath of the raid.  A lot remain unexplained and in need of fresh data for analysis.  First, he just had to get his bearings, and wasn't even certain how he'd ended up here in the first place.  Things had changed.  Many thing.  Possibly too many to fathom in the short time since he had reawakened.  Some kid was rambling on at him about bandits, but it wasn't fully registering.  His head felt like it was wrapped in wool and someone had spent the entire duration of the raid blasting air horns at him from every direction.  

"Right."  He said, because you could almost never go wrong with that.

"Gotcha."  Also a surefire response that fit almost any circumstance in conversation.

"Foreman, m'hm.  Yeah, yeah."  Must have been something he picked up on during the kid's incessant blather.

"Okay.  I think I remember this one.  Handful of thugs misbehaving, and you guys need help."  Freyd rubbed his forehead, as if it might somehow assist with processing or get rid of his nagging headache.

"Sure thing.  I'll help you out."  Flashing him an informal two-fingered salute, Freyd was about to wander off towards the east when Kirk cleared his throat and pointed towards the opposite direction, clearly unimpressed.  Freyd nodded, turned a little too fast and nearly lost his balance in the process.  Things had changed, and would take a bit of time to get used to.

@Shield

(3.0 Thread)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

Consumed:

Crème Brûlée (Snack) | Accuracy 2 [172205-1]
Liquor of Light (Potion) | Damage 3 [178029-2]
Breakfast Fry | Protein 2 [174589-1]
Divinity's Wait (Meal)| T3 Mitigation 3 [177140]

Stats:

Spoiler

Freyd
Level: 31
Paragon: 60
SP: 215

HP: 900/900
EN: 124/124

Stats:
Damage: 24 (+3+3)
Mitigation: 66 (+45 -40)
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4 (+2)
BH:45
VAMP OFF:90
HLY:8
FLN:8
LD:5
Stealth Rating: -2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T4-WARH, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
Light Armor (R5) | MIT 30, -2 Stealth Rating
Warhammer (R5) | R5 SAs, +7 DMG
Searching (R4 + Attic) | +5 LD, +5 stealth detection
Battle Healing (R5) | +5% max HP healing at start of turn
Charge | 2*T EN, +5 DMG, -1 ACC, cancel autohit
Energist | +5*T max EN
Extended Weight Limit | +2 BR slots

Mods:
Extended Weight Limit Mod | increase each BR slot capacity to 15
Ferocity (Warhammer) | +2 DMG with SAs
Stamina (Warhammer) | -2 EN costs all attacks
Meticulous | +1 DMG
Resolve |+1 ACC, +10*T HP

Combat Mastery: Damage | +12 DMG

Familiar Skill: Grappling | CD:5T, Free action, Stun target (separate cooldown)

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King's Authority

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*15
Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring:
n/a

Edited by Freyd

Shield:

Spoiler
» Shield The Immovable Object
Modified HP: 860
Modified EN: 104
Modified MIT: 125
Modified ACC: 0
Modified DMG: 0
Modified EVA: 0
Battle Heal: 31
Loot Die: 1
Temp Buff:  
Temp Buff:  
Temp Buff:  
» Base Stats  
Base HP: 860
Base EN: 104
Base MIT: 125
Base ACC: 0
Base DMG: 0
Base EVA: 0
Battle Heal: 31
Loot Die: 1
» Items Equipped:  
Shield Manticore Mask - T4 Demonic Shield [Thorns / Thorns / Antifreeze / Flame Aura]
Armor Blessed Greaves - T4 Demonic Heavy Armor [Mitigation / Mitigation / Holy Blessing / Holy Blessing]
Armor Naudia's Allure - T4 Demonic Heavy Armor [Mitigation / Holy Blessing / Vampiric (Defensive) / Taunt]
Extra Dimensional Backpack - Battle Ready Inventory Slots [+1]
Extra Wedding Ring - Mitigation [+18]
Extra Hammerspace Backpack - Inventory Slot Capacity [+2]
Extra  
Extra  
» Combat Mastery: Mitigation | Rank 3
» Familiar: Lilith | Bush Viper | Scouting
» Totem: Yamata no Orochi (LD +1)
» Battle-Ready Inventory:  
Slot 1  
Slot 2  
Slot 3  
Slot 4  
Slot 5  
Dimensional Backpack  
Storage Closet  
» Skills:  
  Heavy Armor | Rank 5
  Fighting Spirit | No Ranks
  Battle Healing | Rank 5
  Howl | No Ranks
  Lock Picking | Rank 3

» Extra Skills:  
  Block | Rank 5
  Leadership | Rank 5

» Mods:  
1 Focused Howl
2 Inspiring Speech
3 Press the Attack
4 Dismantling
5 Rampart

Shield's eyes stung with a dull, uncomfortable throb, which told him that something was different. The ninth floor had always been caustic just to occupy, but glancing through his HUD, he saw that several of his old skills had been unslotted, including Survival. Some had disappeared altogether. Some had changed. Cursing under his breath, he reread the message from Hikoru, mumbling aloud to himself.

"Hmm... new skill... old quest.... ninth floor... bandit camp... new boss?" He paused. Rather, he would have paused, but he bumped into another player around the time he was about to pause out of surprise. "Sunnofa-" He kept his balance, but not gracefully as he stumbled back, swiping the message display to the side.

"Freyd?" he said, quirking an eyebrow. "Did you hear about the new content down here as well?" He was a little surprised. Hikoru was the eyes and ears of Aincrad now, and if someone else managed to get new information before Shield was able to prize it from his old guild mate, they were diligent indeed, or else very, very lucky.

Edited by Shield

A pair of red eyes blinked, then paused while the hamster in his head got up to speed and recognition dawned.  "Shield?  Shield!  Urgh...sorry.  I just..."  He turned and looked at the volcanic wasteland around them, heat visibly radiating from the glowing lakes and rivers of magma.  "How did..."  He blinked again.

"Yeah.  New content.  Let's go with that.  It sounds like a good answer."  Scratching at the back of his soot-covered charcoal cowl, the man blended in to well in this landscape that stealth seemed practically unnecessary.  "I think I tripped over the Bandit Camp quest by accident.  Something about a new boss.  I don't know.  Everything seems really fuzzy since Shadow went down, you know?"  Freyd's head bobbled around, clearly as well-anchored as his mind, until it finally slowed and steadied itself.  

"I... I can't track them.  I should be able to, but... nothing?"  The processors were finally firing.  Analytics were gradually coming back online too.  "I'm pretty sure they're this way, or they were.  If you're here for this, why don't we team up and get it done faster?"  A party invite popped up between them, Freyd's mind finally settling back into a semblance of normalcy. 

"Man... I can't seem to focus properly.  Have you noticed anything weird since the raid?"

Anything weird?

Shield's eyes drooped at the question, showing his age a little more than was characteristic for the otherwise impassive stone wall of a player. "Only... everything. Skills are wrong. Floors are wrong. Quests are wrong..."  He pulled the information back in front of him to finish scanning the document he had been browsing. This time, he was stationary while doing so, which meant far less likelihood of further collisions. "On the positives though, that new boss you mentioned comes with a new skill that players can acquire, which I think is why I was told to make my way up here stat."

He closed his menu, accepting the party invite before giving Freyd a nod and following the general direction that had been indicated. "I don't know what your feelings are about the changes that have been going on, but... Cardinal was not kind. My defenses are... not what they were." He did not expand on this thought, but the path here had led him into a few unplanned encounters, each of which not only dealt more damage, but had been met with less resistance from his own defenses.

"I don't know what Shadow really did, but the effects expanded far beyond the floor he occupied. It's unsettling, to say the very least."

They wandered in their chosen direction for a time, comparing notes yet steering clear of personal revelations.  While he respected Shield's practical leadership style and abilities, Freyd really didn't know the man all that well.  Better to start by fighting side by side, then see how things went from there.  Rounding the corner at the base of a high basalt ridge, the two men were both practiced veterans and more than alert enough to detect a change in the setting.  Freyd stopped speaking immediately and slipped his hand into a shadowy crevice in the rock face, pulling back a six-foot long stick where there should have been a sword.  Dumbfounded, he just stared at it for a moment, until the echoes of raucous laughter filled the air, bouncing off the canyon walls.  

"Well... uh.  That's more than a little different too."  

It looked like a slot in reality, with nothing but empty void beyond and limned by the thinnest, translucent white membrane.  Somehow, Freyd was able to hold it, though none of that was they weird bit.  It should have been shaped like a sliver or a sword.  This felt like a stick, or at the very best a staff.

"What the f..."

Glass shattered against the rocks as a handful of overly ebullient bandits rounded the corner, stunned to discover that they had company.  Without hesitation, Freyd sprang into action, his body vanishing in a blink and reappearing in the middle of the pack, swinging his stick of emptiness in a wide arc the shattered the surprised mob before even one of them could make a sound.  Standing from his combat stance, even the Whisper was clearly surprised.

Spoiler

[Double or Nothing CD 0/2] - (x13 AoE, 11 EN +2/hit): 21 EN - (Rested 1/2, Stamina): 18 EN

ID #187543 | BD: 8+6=14 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (13*38=494)
ID #187544 | BD: 4+6=10 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (13*38=494)
ID #187545 | BD: 7+6=13 (hit).  DMG (13*30=390)
ID #187546 | BD: 8+6=14 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (13*38=494)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 106/124 | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield | 

[0,0] Bandit #1 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #2 | HP0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #3 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #4 | HP: 00/250 | DMG: 100

Edited by Freyd

Shield cocked an eyebrow at the confusing display by his fellow frontliner, but his inquiry was cut off before it began. While normally the presence of a bandit on this floor would not cause him even the slightest pause, the last few hours had spoken volumes as to how unpredictable Aincrad had become. His shield was in hand and at the ready just in time to see a spray of pale, ghostly blue polygons scatter and then melt into the air around where the slain bandits had stood.

"You know, it's been a while since I've gotten to quest with properly statted DPS," Shield said with a nod, letting Manticore Mask lower slightly as he resumed a more comfortable stance. "It certainly makes shorter work of enemies than having to watch them throw themselves onto my thorns."

With the proverbial coast now clear, Shield directed his attention back to the - apparently - humorous stick that Freyd had produced. "I feel like I'm missing the joke here. Was there something funny that I didn't notice?"

"For starters," Freyd began, cocking his own eyes at the weapon in his hands, "this was a sword the last time I used it.  And I actually held back on that swing, by a fair bit."  He twisted the staff in his grip, twirling it about and seemingly stunned by the fact that he knew what he was doing.  "It's no joke," he said as much to himself as to his companion.  "I hear more.  There must actually be a proper thieves' den around here, as opposed to the small campfire that used to be the case."

Shield could see the edge of the man's lips curl upward in a smirk as he considered the potential.  "What say we see how far these changes have gone, yea?"  Rounding the corner, Freyd found a full, if sprawling, encampment laid out before him, with several dozen individuals scattered about in distant groups, all seemingly oblivious to each other or their new arrivals.  Blue puffs of light soon lit up the nearest group of tents as a trail of decimated mobs fell to Freyd's advance.  Apparently, he needed to cut loose a little.

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN at start of turn.
[Double or Nothing CD 1/2]
[Twister CD 0/2] (x10 AoE, 8 EN +2/hit): 14 EN - (Rested 1/2, Stamina): 11 EN

ID #187547 | BD: 6+6=12 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (10*38=380)
ID #187548 | BD: 1 (miss)
ID #187549 | BD: 3+6=9 (hit).  DMG (10*30=300)  
ID #187550 | BD: 5+6=1 (hit).  DMG (10*30=300)  

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 96/124 (106+1-11) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield | 

[0,0] Bandit #5 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #6 | HP0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #7 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #8 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) - Craft: 10 [+43HP]

Action: Focused Howl > Bandit 6 [-3 EN]

ID# 187551 results: MOB: 8 - Hit! 100-125=1 dmg [THN - 72 dmg]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 96/124 (106+1-11) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield | HP:
859/860 | EN:125/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ    

[0,0] Bandit #5 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,6] Bandit #6 | HP162/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #7 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #8 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Freyd was headlong into the fray already, which suited Shield just fine. This would buy him a little more time to test new combat conditions. He took out his hand axe, sweeping it through the air. Immediately, he could tell that something was off. Any passive benefits he had gained from having a mundane item were now gone.

Duly noted... if I switch to a proper weapon, I have to give something else up now...

He tossed the useless weapon to the side, watching it shatter and knowing it would reform in his inventory to be ignored henceforth. In the mean time, a single bandit had slipped outside of the range of Freyd's attack. It turned on the cowled player, to which Shield had something to say.

"I DON'T THINK SO, YOU GLORIFIED PICKPOCKET!" he bellowed, the air from his lungs kicking up ash and dust that blasted the poor bandit minion. "YOU HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN HIM!" He tucked his body behind his shield as the enemy charged, and with a useless clang of metal, his barrier turned aside the shortsword that it carried, his health barely registering the difference. Meanwhile, a hefty chunk of the bandit's health vanished. "Well, my thorns are still worth something at least."

Edited by Shield

Chuckles of amusement rumbled in Freyd's chest, but it wasn't clear whether it was from Shield's enthusiastic entry into the battle or his own gleeful foray into the bandit ranks.  The truth probably included both.  Quite clearly, he was enjoying himself as he romped through another group, felling the mob that had foolishly set itself upon one of Aincrad's finest tanks.

"There!  Left another for ya."  Sure, his staff had merely swung high, but it made for a bit of fun and he was glad to have someone at his side in case things went pear-shaped.  

"Smaller energy reserves, it seems, and these sword arts are draining me faster.  I'll need to do something about that before long.  In the meantime..."  He thwacked another mob upside the head, causing the staff to unleash a burst of brilliant white light that mixed with its own dissolving shards as it shattered into a million different broken bits.  

"Welp, at least that still works!"

Spoiler

[Double or Nothing CD 2/2]
[Twister CD 1/2] 
[Wallbreaker CD 0/3] - (x15 AoE, 14 EN +2/hit): 20 EN - (Rested 2/2, Stamina): 17 EN

ID #187552 | BD: 5+6=11 (hit).  DMG (15*30=450)
ID #187553 | BD: 1 (miss)
ID #187554 | BD: 4+6=10 (hit).  DMG (15*30=450)
ID #187555 | BD: 10 (crit +2, holy +8).  DMG (15*40=600)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 80/124 (96+1-17) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield | 

[0,6] Bandit #6 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #9 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #10 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #11 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) - Craft: 8 [+0HP]

Action: Focused Howl > Bandit 9 [-3 EN]

ID# 187556 results: MOB: 6 - Hit! 100-125=1 dmg [THN - 72 dmg]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 80/124 (96+1-17) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:859/860 | EN:123/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ    

[0,6] Bandit #6 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #9 | HP: 162/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #10 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #11 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Peeling through crowds of bandits seemed to be no issue for Freyd, and keeping up with Freyd was not an issue for Shield. Although he was broader and taller than most players, especially those who were agile and quick to the fray, he had honed his combat abilities to keep up with the likes of Beat and Baldur. It kept him lively on his toes, but as yet another bandit slipped through the area of Freyd's attack, the buffeting bellow of Shield's Focused Howl caught the bandit completely off guard.

It wheeled around, flailing wildly in the direction of the deafening burst of sound that had shocked his senses. With yet another listless clang, there was another quickly forgotten dink to Shield's health and another missing chunk to that of the enemy. "Do you remember if the quest said how many of these buggers we would have to dispatch to advance the quest?"

Edited by Shield

"Huh.  That's a good question."  

Popping open his user interface, Freyd kept up his manic pace, rushing headlong into another group.  They fell with comic ease, like bowling pins struck down by a perfectly placed strike.  Permitting himself a momentary pause, Freyd tucked his deadly new stick under one arm as he re-read the quest description.  "It's a bit vague.  Must be an easter egg sorta thing."  Red eyes scrolled down, scanning for clues in the limited text.  "I'm going to go with a 'couple of dozen?'  I haven't touched base with the broker network since the raid, but my guess is that they're still struggling to figure out what happened as much as the rest of us.  This might actually be some useful data for them, if we can confirm it.  What are we up to?"  The cowl turned skyward as he conjured a mental tally. 

"Fourteen?  Let's see how many more we need."

Spoiler

[Double or Nothing CD 0/2] - (x13 AoE, 11 EN +2/hit): 19 EN - (Stamina): 17 EN
[Twister CD 2/2] 
[Wallbreaker CD 1/3]

ID #187561 | BD: 2+6=8 (hit).  DMG (13*30=390)
ID #187562 | BD: 7+6=13 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (13*38=494)
ID #187563 | BD: 6+6=12 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (13*38=494)
ID #187564 | BD: 4+6=10 (hit).  DMG (13*30=390)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 63/124 (80+1-17) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:128/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ    

[0,0] Bandit #9 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #12 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #13 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #14 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP]

Action: None

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 63/124 (80+1-17) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:124/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

[0,0] Bandit #15 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #16 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #17 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #18 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100

"I'm all for feeding the brokers more info," Shield quipped back, following behind in the wake of polygons that shrank into nonexistence as the bandits from which they burst were eliminated. "I can't imagine that it would be any worse than farming drake skins, especially since these spawn faster and drop easier."

The tents around the camp were now having trouble keeping up with the rate at which their occupants were dropping. For every one that emerged, Freyd was dropping at least two. At this point, there were only a few stragglers remaining around the settlement. Off at the far end, Shield finally took notice of what appeared to be a larger, more ornate tent, its walls made of a dingy red, which had likely once been a more brilliant crimson. Apparently the occupant was more interested in opulence than practicality given the ash that had degraded the fabrics former glory.

"I think we found where big bad is going to spawn from when the time comes."

Edited by Shield

Nodding his agreement, Freyd stepped sideways and slipped into his own shadow, appearing a short distance away in the middle of another camp and group of unsuspecting mobs.  The pattern repeated itself, right down to him missing yet another of his targets.  

"Seems like the random number generator is still as hinky as it always was."  His tone suggested a rather tempestuous relationship with the algorithm that governed chance in the system.  Freyd just chalked it up to the fact that he and Cardinal had never gotten along particularly well.

"Let's keep working our way towards that spot.  I think you're right, and I'm curious to see how the difficulty ramps up."  The lone, missed mark managed to give him a scratch on his upper arm with earned him an annoyed grimace and scowl of certainty of doom impending.  The mob's pants instantly changed colour and humidity as if it only just realized what it was up against.

"Bad move, bub.  Sorry to tell ya."

Spoiler

[Double or Nothing CD 1/2]
[Twister CD 0/2]  - (x10 AoE, 8 EN +2/hit): 14 EN - (Stamina): 12 EN
[Wallbreaker CD 2/3]

ID #187570 | BD: 5+6=11 (hit).  DMG (10*30=300)
ID #187571 | BD: 7+6=13 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (10*38=380)
ID #187572 | BD: 1 (miss)
ID #187573 | BD: 4+6=10 (hit).  DMG (10*30=300)

ID #187572 | MD: 8-1=7 (hit).  DMG (100-71=29)

Freyd | HP: 871/900 (900-29) | EN: 52/124 (63+1-12) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:124/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

[0,0] Bandit #15 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #16 | HP0/250 | DMG: 100

[0,0] Bandit #17 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,0] Bandit #18 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP]

Action: Howl [-2 EN]

Freyd | HP: 871/900 (900-29) | EN: 52/124 (63+1-12) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:123/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

[0,3] Bandit #17 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,3] Bandit #19 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100
[0,3] Bandit #20 | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 100

Freyd seemed to be holding his own just fine despite the most recent nick he had received. Still, Shield was nothing if not at least attempting to take the heat off of the big hitters. Besides, the actual stats of the added boss was anyone's guess at this point. The more he could do his job, the better.

Drawing in air through his nose, Shield's chest swelled, practically doubling in size like a seasoned opera singer. His lungs at capacity, he opened his mouth and sent a wave of sound through the ash-dense air. The cone of wind cleared out the particulates from the air, leaving a swath of unobstructed sight in the otherwise dingy scene. "LOOKS LIKE YOUR ALLIES ARE DWINDLING, MINIONS! COME HERE AND FACE YOUR FATE SO WE CAN MOVE ON TO BIGGER AND BETTER!"

The sound practically knocked the enemies off their feet, but ignoring the obviously logical course of action - namely, fleeing - they gave in to their programming and flocked to the player that had challenged them - practically an immortal object as far as their abilities were concerned.

Edited by Shield

Freyd stumbled, still trying to get accustomed to the changes in his interface, but could string together enough combat competence to get the job done.  A weaker sword art emerged, his other options still being on cooldown.  It was enough to drop one of the remaining bandits, but only weaken the remaining pair.  The black staff in his hands smashed against the last two mobs, sending each flying back towards Shield, and trusting that the capable tank would do his thing and have them impale themselves against the many, lethal, onion-like layers of doom wrapped around him by virtue of his gear.  He'd fought by his side enough times to trust the man's capability.  Few were more reliable.

"Their numbers are dwindling.  Something's likely to proc soon, I'd wager."

Leaping around to keep their enemies off balance, Freyd harassed them relentlessly.  Concealing himself within their shadows, or those provided by the battlefield, it was like fighting a ghost.

Spoiler

Freyd regains 45 HP from BH
[Double or Nothing CD 2/2]
[Twister CD 1/2]  
[Wallbreaker CD 3/3]
[Sweep CD 0/2] - (x5 AoE, 5 EN +2/hit): 11 EN - (Stamina): 9 EN

ID #187575 | BD: 2+6=8 (hit).  DMG (5*30=150)
ID #187576 | BD: 3+6=9 (hit).  DMG (5*30=150)
ID #187577 | BD: 7+6=13 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (5*38=190)

ID #187575 | MD: 4 (miss)
ID #187576 | MD: 1 (miss)
ID #187577 | MD: 6 (hit).  DMG (100-133=1).  Bandit #20 suffers 88 damage from Thorns.  Killed.

Freyd | HP: 900/900 (871+45) | EN: 43/124 (52+1-9) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:859/860 | EN:123/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

[1,3] Bandit #17 | HP: 100/250 | DMG: 100 (250-150)
[1,3] Bandit #19 | HP: 100/250 | DMG: 100 (250-150)
[1,3] Bandit #20 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100 (250-190-88)

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [0/5]

Action: Inspiring Speech > Freyd [-8 EN]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 (871+45) | EN: 43/124 (52+1-9) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:123/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

[0,3] Bandit #17 | HP: 100/250 | DMG: 100
[0,3] Bandit #19 | HP: 100/250 | DMG: 100
[0,3] Bandit #20 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100

The pack was dwindling, and those that remained were not exactly at full health. With the heat dying down, Shield scanned his HUD. It was like being behind the wheel the first time a few unfamiliar indicator lights come up. There were several of the usual stats and readouts, but so many things were new. Still, this wasn't entirely a bad thing. Eyeing his new skill, he decided now was as good of a time as any to test it out. He turned his attention to the other player, and took a moment to analyze his movements.

Haven't tried this before, but from what I managed to glean about the new system updates, the abilities this skill gives could give a party a lot more utility...

He nodded to himself, paying no mind to the slashing blades of the last remaining attackers. These would be the guinea pigs before the opponent that mattered. "Freyd," he barked out across the field. "Do something for me. "  Raising his gauntlet-clad fist into the air, he clenched his fingers tightly. With a slow exhale, a faint red glow surrounded his fist. A moment later, the same glow ignited around Freyd's body. "Keep an eye on your cool down gauges."

Freyd's eyes widened as the felt... something?  A tingle ran down his spine, as if doors temporarily closed to him had suddenly re-opened.

"That's... REALLY useful!"  

Pushing himself again, Freyd swung low and tripped the nearest bandit, flattening him with an overhead follow up that smashed the mob into a thousand tiny fragments.  With an acrobatic reverse twist of his torso, he meant to catch their sole remaining foe only to discover that the man was flailing uselessly against Shield's impenetrable defenses.  Even worse, he didn't even have the decency to make contact and just seemed to be half-assing the whole fight.

"Come on, dude!  You could at least impale yourself on some spikes or something."  Propping himself against his weapon for a moment, it was surprising to feel so tired so quickly.  "Energy balances must also have been adjusted."  Freyd sat back against a nearby rock, looking a bit winded.  "Wow... this sucks.  Just, gimme a minute."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN 
[Twister CD 2/2]  
[Sweep CD 2/2] (incl. +1 from Inspiring Speech)

Post Action | Double or Nothing (CD 0/3) (x13 AoE, 11 EN +2/hit): 13 EN - (Stamina): 11 EN

ID #188056 | BD: 2+6=8 (hit).  DMG (13*30=390)
ID #188057 | BD: 1 (miss)

ID #188057 | MD: 4 (missed Shield)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 21/124 (31+1-11) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[0,3] Bandit #17 | HP: 100/250 | DMG: 100 (100-390)

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [1/5]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 21/124 (31+1-11) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:124/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

Shield watched as the last remaining grunt bounced harmlessly off of him, sprawling back onto the ground and staring up at the sky for a moment. For a moment, he looked as if he were questioning his life choices. Honestly, Shield wouldn't have blamed him if the character were capable of doing such things. The role of a minion in a hack-and-kill quest was shamefully insignificant, especially against players of front-line caliber. Turning his attention away from the non-threat, Shield addressed Freyd.

"That's the Leadership skill. It has five different mods, each of which bolsters or defends a different aspect of the party," he said, his eyes once again scanning the large tent at the other end of the camp. Again, no signs of life just yet. "They each do so while sacrificing the user's abilities in said stat. It's useless to some players, but for those who have min-maxed like we have, it seems to pay dividends. I sacrifice something that doesn't matter to me to boost something that's vital to you." Holding up a finger, he went on. "In this case, it's your cool downs for sword arts, but I can do the same to Accuracy, Evasion, incoming status effects, and... of course... damage."

Hauling himself back to his feet, Freyd swung his staff inelegantly, forcefully colliding the stick full of void into the side of the mob's head.  It exploded, messily, but he didn't particularly seem to care.  Casually tossing the very same bar behind his head to rest upon his shoulders, Freyd twisted his wiry torso a few times to stretch out the kinks.  One eye winced beneath the cowl, though even Freyd wasn't sure why.  That type of strain wasn't normally an issue in the game.  

"Ugh.  Running low on EN royally sucks.  I feel like I'm coming down off a twelve-pack of stay-up juice, after an all-nighter."  A black gloved hand wiped over his face as he finished, then paused just below his face as he stared at it.  "Funny how old habits stay with us, isn't it?"  Like an achy old man, he then wandered back over to his previous stool.  "What's your story, Shield?  From what I hear, you've been at this quite a while.  Did you strike out on day one?"

It was clear that Freyd needed a break.  Even if they were relatively squishy, twenty mobs was still twenty mobs, and he didn't have the benefits of any recovery gear to back him up, just yet.  

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN 
Double or Nothing (CD 1/3)

Post Action | Concussion (CD 0/0) (x4, 2 EN): 2 EN - (Stamina): 1 EN

ID #188071 | BD: 2+6=8 (hit).  DMG (4*30=120)

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 21/124 (21+1-1) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[1,3] Bandit #19 | HP: 0/250 | DMG: 100 (100-120)

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [2/5]

Out of Combat Energy Recovery [1/2]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 21/124 (21+1-1) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

His story. Despite his reluctance to address the fullness of what that question entailed, his poker face was practically impenetrable.

Perks of an abusive marriage...

When Freyd narrowed down the question to specifically his time spent in SAO, the tension hidden behind his eyes slacked some. "Day one? Pretty much. And I can do one better. As soon as the second floor was attained, I immediately started punching a rock to help another player unlock Martial Arts." He found a nearby boulder and leaned his backside on it, not exactly sitting, but letting the natural structure give his legs a break for a while. "Being an older player... Well, we bear more responsibility than the younger ones. They weren't ready to play a death game. Even in the real world, they weren't old enough to make those kinds of choices or take those risks. Some of them stepped up... and I'd be lying if I said we could have made this much progress without them... Still, if me being on the front lines keeps even one kid from having to do the same, then I've done my part."

It wasn't dishonest. Those were words he lived by, and he believed them fully. Still, that was a truth that didn't require cracking beyond the surface, not by much at least. Before he would have time to question, Shield turned the table back around on Freyd. "What about you? A lot of people weren't ready to strike out right away. Some of them still aren't. Where did you fall on that spectrum?"

Edited by Shield