[PP-09] This place smells familiar... <<Bandit Camp>>

"I hid in the Town of Beginnings for too long, terrified that Cardinal was out to get me personally."  Freyd loosely laced his fingers before him, chuckling softly at the absurdity of it.  "There's no grand secret.  This getup," he added, gesturing to his assassin-like garb, "served a simple purpose.  It played to a stereotype and kept hungry and illicit eyes off my back long enough for me to work my way up.  I honestly didn't think it would ever happen, and yet."  Gesturing in a manner that encompassed them both, Freyd implied achievement of his goal.

"I tried the solo route, at first, and by good fortune stumbled into a few good people over in Firm Anima.  I'm still not sure what convinced me to sign up, but I did and haven't regretted a moment of it since."  

Shield could hear the supple leather of the man's black gloves wringing together.  

Why am I confessing this, here and now of all places?  Maybe it's just that no one has actually ever asked before?

"And I hear what you're saying about the 'kids', though it's hard to think that there are any true innocents left in this place.  Your point on responsibility is also well-taken.  There is an air of the Lord of the Flies permeating this place, sometimes.  I just hope it doesn't devour us whole."

Resting 1/2

Passive [+1 EN] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [3/5]

Action: Searching for Chest - ID# 188127 results: Loot: 19+1=20 - Chest found!

Out of Combat Energy Recovery [2/2]

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 21/124 (21+1-1) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:124/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ

"Look, I don't blame you for staying put," Shield said, sighing and shaking his head. "This burden wasn't something any of us asked for, and the threat of death is not something the average gamer is prepared to face, especially on a regular basis." He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, frowning all the while. "I'm glad you found a guild. I know there are a lot of brooding players who don't want to be slowed down by a guild, but a good guild doesn't slow you down. It helps you keep moving at a steady pace. Maybe I'm just saying that because I went full turtle with my build and can't kill something without it going full kamikaze on my thorns... but having other players around makes my grinding way easier."

As Shield held Freyd in his steady gaze, something caught his eye. Over Freyd's darkly clad shoulder, something was peeking out from the nearest tent. Straightening back up, Shield made his way over. There was a familiar box-like shape to whatever it was, with a rounded top. Reaching into the shade of the tent, he pulled out a large wooden chest with black iron fastenings. "Well, I can't say I'm excited about what's inside given the current floor, but it never hurts to look."

Edited by Shield

"Yeah.  I agree with you.  It's kept me human at a time when there was a real risk of becoming nothing more than another cog in this infernal machine."  Rolling the 'stick of death' around from palm to palm, an image formed of himself as he might have been without the benefit of those who had made the time to find him inside himself.  Red eyes wandered down to his shadow, which looked to be staring back at him, knowingly.  "You can call on me anytime you need, spikey-turtle-man.  That... really needs some work."  A wry grin curled his lips, even as his mood and energy were both buoyed by nothing more than the passage of time.  Standing back on his feet, Freyd's gaze turned to follow Shield's.

"Well, well.  Would you look at that."  A quick whack from his staff was enough for the void to eat away the clasp and send the lid flying open.

Spoiler

Post Action | Open Chest: ID #188184 | LD: 9 (nat, Freyd has no applicable mods)

Rest 2/2

742 col (675 +10% for Col Deposit)
3 materials
T2 Rare Consumable [188184a]
T2 Rare Consumable [188184b]

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [4/5]

Action: Focused Howl > Bandit Boss [-3 EN]

Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:125/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 (80+1-17) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[6,0] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 1500/1500 | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:
Brawler | +75 MIT on R5 Sword Art until the end of rotation. Damage calculation for the attack will take place after the buff is issued. Stackable.

Shield's hand was half way to his ring of keys before Freyd had already thumped his way into the chest. He was about to protest, but figured what was done was done. He let his hand fall back to his side. To his left, he heard a jovial voice chime in.

"Tut tut," chirped the unfamiliar tones. "You know, you really shouldn't take things that don't belong to you." A man sat atop the nearby stone formations that bordered the nearest edge of the camp, garbed in cloth robes and carrying a large, chipped dagger which he rolled across the back of his hand carelessly. "Might make you an enemy or two."

Shield eyed the name tag, seeing quite clearly that if there was a final challenge to be had after the mowing down of minions, this 'bandit boss' was likely it. He straightened his spine, filling his lungs once again. However, before releasing the wave of noise, he took a moment to tighten the muscles of his chest, compressing the air down so that it was released in a concentrated stream of wind and sound. "TALK IS CHEAP, AND SO ARE THE LOOT TABLES FOR HIS GOD-FORSAKEN FLOOR!" He clapped the side of his gauntlet onto the face of his shield and stared down the brazen brigand.

The boss threw his hands up in defeat. "Don't say I didn't try to be civil."

Edited by Shield

"Civil?  Uh... sure.  Whatever."

Reaching beneath his collar Freyd grasp something and flung it at the boss bandit's face.  The thing was Persi, his familiar, and she was very unhappy to have been awoken this manner.  Unfortunately for the mob, she'd been aimed right at his chest. What, at first, appeared to be some tenebrous black blob suddenly sprouted slotted azure eyes and a whirling morass of claws and teeth that latched onto the unsuspecting mob.  It was utterly vicious, and Freyd took total advantage of it, smashing the bandit in the gut, hard.  

"Sorry.  Don't do civil.  It always gets you killed."

Even as the mob folded in half before him, Freyd lined up his shot and took his swing, driving the man a good five yards and right into Shield's chest.  Freyd kissed his teeth, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Dangit!  I should have used the wedge instead."  The golf reference was rather disturbing.

Spoiler

Post Action | Fling (CD 0/3) (x16, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 1/2, Stamina) = 9 EN.  Charge (CD 0/3) (-8 EN)
Free Action | Grappling Familiar (CD 0/5)

ID #188211 | BD: 3+6-2-1=6 (hit, Charge +5).  DMG (16*35=560-125=435)

Bandit boss is stunned and takes no action.

Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:128/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 107/124 (124-9-8) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[1,5] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 1065/1500 (1500-435) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 STUNNED

Abilities:
Brawler | +75 MIT on R5 Sword Art until the end of rotation. Damage calculation for the attack will take place after the buff is issued. Stackable.

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP] Cool Downs - Inspiring Speech [5/5] Press the Attack [0/5]

Post Action: Press the Attack > Freyd [-9 EN]

Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:117/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 107/124 (124-9-8) | DMG: 30 [+4] | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[1,6] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 1065/1500 (1500-435) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:
Brawler | +75 MIT on R5 Sword Art until end of rotation. Damage calculation for the attack will take place after the buff is issued. Stackable.

A good deal of the smarm now absent from his expression, the so-named bandit boss stumbled back up to his full height, shaking off as much as he could of the paralytic effects of the last attack. "Okay, so you have some moxie. Should have guessed as much given what short work you made of my crew. I'm going to have to replace all of them now, but what's done is done. I've seen what you can do, and hence forth shall not underestimate my enemies."

Giving one last shake of his shoulders to loosen up his stiffened body, he began to pace in a wide berth around the two players, and particularly eyeing the rude one whom had shouted at him, entirely unprovoked even. "You know, I have quite a collection of keepsakes from those who have passed through here before. I feel like that shield and that stick will make lovely additions to my display."

Shield sighed, raising his fist in the air once again. "Boy, he sure forgot quickly about not underestimating. Freyd, would you like to educate him how dangerous that can actually be?" A faint layer of prismatic light danced across Freyd's form, denoting a significant change in damage.

Edited by Shield

A silent nod provided confirmation, even as Freyd's form melded into the surrounding shadows.  Her mauling complete, Persi flitted back to her master and joined her darkness with his.  Their melding was eerily seamless.  Circling around to the right and passing a tall outcropping of basalt, they moved menacingly to flank the talkative boss.  Freyd was never particularly chatty, but was even less so in battle save for the occasional taunt.  Silent, but deadly?  The scent of sulfur was definitely already in the air.

Lunging suddenly, the boss moved to parry only to protest with shock as his weapon passed through his assailant's without effect.

"An illusion?  Aaargh!"

Freyd - the real Freyd - materialized behind him, the seal on his staff momentarily breaching to unleash the keening of the void inside as it came slamming down on the man's left shoulder.  Where normally denoted by an orange slash or cut upon the mesh, the power behind this blow crumpled the mesh itself.  A mangled mess was a that remained of the mob's shoulder.

"If you insist."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN
Fling (CD 1/3)
Charge (CD 1/3)

Post Action | Wallbreaker (CD 0/3)(x15 AoE, 14 EN +2/hit): 16 EN - (Rested 2/2, Stamina) = 13 EN. 

ID #188212 | BD: 6+6-2=10 (hit, Fallen +8, PtA +4).  DMG  (15*42=630-125=505)

ID #188212 | MD: 1 (miss)

Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:117/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 95/124 (107+1-13) | DMG: 30 [+4] | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[2,5] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 560/1500 (1065-505) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2 STUNNED

Abilities:

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Vampiric (Defensive) -  [+0HP] Cool Downs - Press the Attack [1/5] Rally [0/3]

Post Action: Rally [-5 EN]

Shield - HP:860/860 | EN:113/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 [-1] | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 95/124 (107+1-13) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 [+1] | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[2,6] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 560/1500 (1065-505) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:

His frame marred, the brigand's composure was also beginning to crumble. He stumbled on the spot, staggering until he managed to catch himself. The once handsome face was now scarred with a deep scowl of hatred.

"Looks like someone isn't too happy when they're knocked off of their sad little throne," Shield said, using the threat mechanics of the game to continue pressing his thumb into the bandit lord's wounded pride. "What's the matter? Doesn't feel good to be completely outclassed by some nobodies who wander into your camp uninvited."

The bandit leader's fist tightened around the cloth wrapped handle of his dagger. Shield's eyes darted down to it and then back up to the mask of rage that the once smug enemy had worn. "Go on then," Shield taunted. "Do it. See what happens."

"Yeah?" chirped the bandit. "What's gonna happen?"

"Three things. I hit you, you hit the ground, ambulance hits 60."

Edited by Shield

Shaking his head, grinning to himself again, Freyd swatted him hard on the back and propelled him forcefully into Shield's thorns.  It felt almost too easy, watching the mob's health plummet deep into the red.  Staggering backwards after a painful-looking bounce, the brigand wobbled and struggled to keep his footing.  Sliding one end of his staff beneath the man's foot, he lifted upward and sent him sprawling onto his backside with a hefty thud.  

"Never, ever, poke a battle turtle if you have any idea what's good for you.  Funny how irresistible the lure of a tank can be, isn't it?"  

So this was what it was going to be like: not all that different from before, just hyper-focused.  Shield had always been the exemplar of his build style, as had Freyd, though his focus was purely on offense.  

"I'd expected a little more, to be honest.  If this is the caliber of mob bosses, now, I don't think we'll be in much trouble."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN
Fling (CD 3/3) incl. +1 from Rally
Charge (CD 3/3) incl. +1 from Rally
Wallbreaker (CD 2/3) incl. +1 from Rally

Post Action | Ripple (CD 0/2)(x14, 12 EN: 12 EN - (Stamina) = 10 EN. 

ID #188214 | BD: 2+7-2=7 (hit).  DMG (14*30=420-125=295)

ID #188214 | MD: 4+3+1=8 (hit Shield).  DMG (350-133=217)

Bandit Boss takes 88 damage from Thorns.

Shield - HP:643/860 (860-217) | EN:113/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 [-1] | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 86/124 (95+1-10) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 [+1] | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[3,5] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 177/1500 (560-295-88) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:

Edited by Freyd

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+43 HP] Holy Blessing [+51 HPVampiric (Defensive) - ID# 188218 results: Craft: 11 [+43HP]
Cool Downs - Press the Attack [2/5] Rally [1/3] Inspiring Speech [0/5]

Post Action: Inspiring Speech [-8 EN]

Shield - HP:780/860 (860-217) | EN:106/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 86/124 (95+1-10) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[3,6] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 177/1500 (560-295-88) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:

The fight was settled. All three of the people present knew it, and the rage of the bandit lord was proof positive of that very fact. Shield turned to Freyd, addressing the note of disappointment. "Yes, for sure the health was easy enough to deplete. However," he said, pointing to his health bar and noting the speed at which his health was returning. "That attack luckily activated every single one of my healing abilities, and yet I'm still a good chunk of health short at the moment. Not even Shadow's minions could do that." The computerized enemy, now knocking firmly on death's door, tried to sit up, but Shield placed his foot squarely on the man's chest.

"The paradigm shift with this new update seems to have made health far more precious than it once was. The difference may not be incredibly stark at first glance, but for a near optimal defense front liner with versatile healing options to have damage stick from a boss on the ninth floor..." Shield lifted his hand once again, and Freyd's cool downs all had a chunk knocked off. "That - should be very telling."

Edited by Shield

"Yeah.  I getcha.  It works for me, but puts you and all other tanks in a potential bind.  Hopefully, there's something to offset the nerf, or you're going to need a steady stream of allies at your back to help.  I suppose that shouldn't be an issue with good guild support, and isn't all that different from what you faced before."

Raising the pole in his hand, he drove it down into the mob's chest.  White light from the weapon's seal parted as it made contact, exposing the void within.  Everything that came into contact with it ceased to exist, starting with the centre of the mob's torso.  A look of terror affixed itself on the bandit's face as he realized what was happening.  Red eyes burned with ambivalence as they watched the figure suffer a gruesome end.  Mass shattered into shards, which in turn were sucked into the vacuum at the apex of the staff.  It only took a moment, and then silence reigned again.  Pulling the staff up again and resting it against his shoulder, Freyd turned and nodded to his companion.  Cold, heartlessness dominated his expression.

"I guess this world just became an awful lot harsher.  Note to self."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +1 EN
Wallbreaker (CD 3/3)  
Ripple (CD 1/2)

Post Action | Fling (CD 0/3) (x16, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Stamina) = 10 EN

ID #188258 | BD: 8+6-2=12 (hit, Fallen +8).  DMG (16*38=608-125=483)

Shield - HP:780/860 (860-217) | EN:106/128 | DMG:1 | ACC:0 | MIT:133 | THN:88 | EVA:0 | BH:43 | LD:1 | V.D.:43 | HB:51 | TNT | ANT.FZ
Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 77/124 (86+1-10) | DMG: 30 | MIT: 71 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

[4,6] <<Bandit Boss>> HP: 0/1500 (177-483) | DMG: 350 | MIT: 125 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 2

Abilities:

Thread Summary:

Shield and Freyd both receive:

824 EXP each (800 +3% for Paragon 10)

2741 col each (400 + 82 from Paragon 5, +5,000 from defeating boss [new content], split evenly)

Both players unlock the <<Brawler>> Extra Skill

Both Shield and Freyd are eligible for US roll.  (Freyd's last thread completion for roll was submitted April 5, 2021)

Unique Skill Rolls by Lessa
Freyd - [188339] LD:4
Shield - [188340] LD:4