[PP | F8] Furious George <<Monkey King>>

<<Monkey King>>

It had been a little over a week since the defeat of the Shadow and the Storm that had swallowed the rest of Aincrad. Katoka had finally decided it was time to venture out and test her new strength after the system wide overhaul. She had spent the past few days combing over her skill tree and carefully picking her new build. It was strange to her, being lower level yet swimming in skill points. Apparently she was max level now too, essentially a brand new frontliner fresh to jump into the fray.

After what happened though, she needed time to gather herself. She spent time with Sam and Elora when she could. Walked around some of the new areas on what used to be familiar floors. She grew antsy after a time. She eventually went over to the guild hall and did some research on some quests that could yield fruitful bounties, one that gave an extra skill jumped out at her. She quickly sent a message to Freyd who she hadn't seen since before the storm and asked if he was up for testing out an old quest with her. She then made her way to the teleporter to jump to floor 8, excited to see what new adventures awaited her in the forests since she last visited.

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 102/102 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1 | | BLD: 48

Spoiler

Katoka, The Cerulean Storm
Level: 31
Paragon Level: 6
HP: 680/680
EN: 102/102

Stats:
Damage: 23
Mitigation: 78
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 1
BLD: 48

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Iridescent Edge (T4/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Bushido Haori (T4/Perfect/Light Armor) | MIT 2, EVA 1
Misc:

Skills:
1HCS R1
Katana R5
Light Armor R5
Energist

Active Mods:
Ferocity
Stamina
Meticulous
Resolve
Vengeful Riposte

Inactive Mods:

Active Extra Skills:
Concentration
Parry

Inactive Extra Skills:
Survival

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal: 5
Starter Healing Potion: 3

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Basic Training: +5% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Enough time had finally passed for Freyd to figure out his bearings.  The initial shock and confusion in the aftermath of Shadow's defeat had sent even the Whisper for a tizzy.  It had taken time to recover and re-calibrate.  He should have checked in with friends sooner, but there were so many other things also in play.  Changes wrought to the system had been massive.  Chaos reigned all over Aincrad, and he was struggling to restore his own inner sense of order. When it was scrambled, he first needed to understand how and why.  And, there were other considerations at play.  Having just finished another of his endless series of patrols, Katoka's missive came as welcome and full of relief.  He knew that Firm Anima's membership had survived, and though not permanently impacted there were scars in need of healing.  An instant reply confirmed his intention to attend.  

You can't neglect your friends, Freyd.

I know, Montjoy.  Thank you.  

Secretly, he worried about the toll that Shadow's storm had taken.  Helping to heal was never something he'd ever been very good at doing. 

It didn't take long to reach the portal, or floor eight.

"Excuse me, miss," he called out to a figure standing nearby, but facing away from him.  She had the look of a frontliner, from the rear, and Freyd's jaw clenched to keep it from dropping as she turned.

"Ka... Katoka?!"

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 | DMG: 30 | MIT:  | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 4 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

Spoiler

Freyd
Level: 31
Paragon: 60

HP: 900/900
EN: 124/124

Stats:
Damage: 24
Mitigation: 66
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
BH:45
VAMP OFF:90
HLY:8
FLN:8
LD:5
Stealth Rating: -2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T4-WARH, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
Light Armor (R5) | MIT 30, -2 Stealth Rating
Warhammer (R5) | R5 SAs, +7 DMG
Searching (R4 + Attic) | +5 LD, +5 stealth detection
Battle Healing (R5) | +5% max HP healing at start of turn
Charge | 2*T EN, +5 DMG, -1 ACC, cancel autohit
Energist | +5*T max EN
Extended Weight Limit | +2 BR slots
Custom Skill |
Custom Sword Art |

Mods:
Extended Weight Limit Mod | increase each BR slot capacity to 15
Ferocity (Warhammer) | +2 DMG with SAs
Stamina (Warhammer) | -2 EN costs all attacks
Meticulous | +1 DMG
Resolve |+1 ACC, +10*T HP

Combat Mastery: Damage | +12 DMG

Familiar Skill: Grappling | CD:5T, Free action, Stun target (separate cooldown)

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority
Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
T3 HP Recovery*15
Antidote 3*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring:
n/a

After exiting the teleport area Kat found herself in awe of the city she stood in. It seemed so full of life. The hustle and bustle of elves moved around her as if nothing had happened a few days ago, though she did see a few timid players exploring things in the safety of the city. A familiar voice from behind caught her attention causing her to turn around. There at the teleport gate was the whisper himself, Freyd. She knew he had survived the boss fight since he still showed up as 'online' in her friends list, but seeing him in person still sent a wave of relief washing through her. After a moment of silence Katoka found herself walking quickly up to her friend and wrapping her arms around him, putting her face into his chest as she let out a laughing sob.

"You sound like you haven't seen me in this exact same outfit for the past few months you idiot." she said into his chest, attempting to hid her tears even a little. "Where have you been? After the the fight and after the Storm and then the update. You were just gone."

Stepping away she wiped her face and faced him fulling, as much as a short blonde samurai could. It was odd to her that he didn't recognize her, her armor and sword were no different, though apparently they had grown in tier along with her after the change.

"S... sorry?"  He still hadn't managed to shake the Canadian need to apologize for everything, even after all of these years.  "I just, you know, merchant's eyes.  I see gear quality and details before I recognize patterns and faces."  Arms still up at shoulder level and confused, it took him a minute to process Katoka's reaction.  But, in an uncharacteristic manner, Freyd slowly lowered them and returned the hug.

"I'm glad you're okay too, moron," he replied chuckling in response to her insult.  "As far as where... well.. fishing?"  He shrugged his shoulders in response.  "Yeah.  I know.  Sounds weird, but that's where I woke up: sitting on a dock with some loudmouth named Tony stuffing a can of funky-smelling tuna in my face.  I'm...  you're... you're looking strong, girl."  He finally managed to string together a few words.  "It suits you.  Nice upgrade on the gear too.  Looks like everyone benefitted from whatever the hell happened."

"Fishing..." she responded staring at him blankly, "You've just been.... fishing." Katoka continued to stare before she shook her head. "At least tell me you've gone to see Elora? Things were, rough there, for both of us." The blond rubbed her arm nervously with her other hand looking off to the side awkwardly. But she recovered and gestured for him to follow her, "Let's get this thing started then, I want to test these new skills and such in combat."

Taking the lead the samurai began crossing one of the walkways of the treetop village of Florenthia. She wasn't exactly sure where the NPC was supposed to be for this particular quest, but she at least knew that this was the town to find him. It didn't take long for her to get distracted by the village and all it had to offer. It was like a whole new experience every time she visited a town or floor.

"It's amazing. There are towns and whole cities that are exactly the same, except things are so different now. Everything looks so alive and more, real maybe? I don't know, is it just me?" she turned to face Freyd, "Have you been anywhere other than your new fishing hole yet?"

Watching Katoka's zeal and bubbly love of life return warmed his spirits and help thaw him out of whatever miasmic funk had blanketed his days since reawakening.  These were the same qualities that had first compelled him to dub her the Cerulean Storm.  The girl was irrepressible.

"You know, it's funny.  I could have sworn this quest used to be on floor six."  Scratching at the back of his cowl as he walked, Freyd.  "He's the size of King Kong.  Not exactly hard to find, though my tracking mod seems to be on the fritz since we woke up."  Banter followed, of the jovial kind, and Freyd maneuvered through it like a practiced pro, never going anywhere near the topic of Elora.  It was a complicated matter, and his heart lacked the right vocabulary to explain itself.

"I've made a few forays here and there.  It's been a week.  You know how I am.  There's no way that I could bear to sit around that long with so much out there to explore and catalog.  The brokers are paying a mint for updated info, too."  As they neared the edge of the village, Freyd summoned what seemed, at first, like a long walking staff into his grip.  Stretching a few inches taller than him, it was very reminiscent of the black, void-like blade he used to wield, save that this one looked more like so sort of slot in the universe.  Watching him hold it casually was just weird.  But Freyd and weird were well-acquainted and seemed to somehow fit together under any circumstances. "Did, uh... your weapon change at all?"

"It was on floor 6 before?" Kat looked confused. "Did our info stored in the guild archive auto update then? Weird." she held her chin in one hand as she looked was lost in thought for a bit. It was nice to get back into the swing of things, even if it was a simple hunt and slay quest. Though their opponent was apparently a rather difficult one, she felt with two high level builds the two of them would be able to handle things no problem. 

"My weapon?" she looked down at the katana on her hip, "Nah, other than it raising in tier along with me it's pretty much the same. What about your sword?" As the two reached the edge of town Katoka noticed a man that seemed to stand out from the others, his white hair seemingly florescent in the greens and browns of the forest. He was crouched down over a flower, taking notes in a small leather bound book. The samurai gestured for Freyd to follow her towards him.

"It's odd that the max level is so low now right? Like I was just barely over 31 previously and I know you were far past it." she pondered aloud as they stopped a few feet from the man who hadn't taken much notice from them.

Freyd shrugged and followed, leaning his spooky stick over one shoulder as casually as you might a rucksack.  

"Who's the dude?"

"Remington."  Chewing on a reed, the lanky, white-haired man did his best to look all suave, debonair and mysterious.

"Like... Steele?  Future James Bond? Cool."  The NPC had no idea what Freyd was talking about, and Freyd had no patience for pretty-boy half-wits who thought themselves cool for hanging out in swamps all day.  Listening to his tale, the Whisper was impressed that some backstory had been added to the quest, but cared little for the cause.  He was in it for the extra skill, pure and simple. 

"Okay, okay, you don't need to try and sell us on it.  We already came here to help!  Just point us in..."

"Hail, wanderers," said another, heavily armored NPC approaching from the direction of the gates, his tone curt and pacing abrupt.  "I am Sewallus, captain of the Florenthia Guard."

"All three of them?" The delivery was total deadpan, and the facts not wrong.  Sewallus glared before continuing. 

I hear that you are looking to hunt the Monkey King."

"More like re-hunt for shits and giggles."  Another glare followed, but Freyd's post had carried the intended message.  While not fully capable of processing that the boss respawned, Sewallus gathered that the two players were both capable and confident.  That counted for a lot on the battlefield.

"Look, guy, if you want to have a crack at this thing, all you have to do is ask.  Katoka and I are always open to travelling buddies.  Right?"  Patting the least spiky part of the man's shoulder pauldron that he could find, Freyd accepted him into the party and started with his usually sneaky-scouty type stuff.

Edited by Freyd

Pinching the bridge of her nose Kat sighed, "Can you not pick on the NPCs you dork. Sewallus, we would be honored if you joined our party." As Freyd accepted his invitation she saw in the left hand corner of her hud as his icon and health bar appear under their own. Nodding the samurai turned to the armored man, "I assume you can lead us to where the Monkey King resides?"

Sewallus shook his head, "We won't have to search far for him. You don't find the Monkey King, the Monkey King finds you."

Katoka arched a brow and looked to Freyd, "Well that was... ominous."

Sewallus gestured for them to follow him as he descended from the tree top city and to the forest floor, "Let us travel a safe distance from the village so we don't cause any accidental damage."

"Yeah that's probably for the best." the blonde said as she saw splintered remains of thick trees, as well as large footprints on the ground. "He's a big one huh?" she asked Freyd, placing a hand nervously on the hilt of her weapon.

"You could say..."

When Katoka and Sewallus turned to see why Freyd went silent, they found him gone.  Barely a second later, a massive concussion wave exploded from the treed ridge on their left, causing every tree in the area to sway violently over and a few to uproot completely.  Then came the Monkey, not in some horrendously angry rage, but with literal stars circling its head where a giant red lump had appeared.  The giant beast crashed unceremoniously to the ground, causing a small seismic tremor just by its sheer size and weight, even as a single giant incisor came whirling past Katoka's face and lodged itself four inches deep into the trunk of an adjacent tree.

"Damn.  No proc."  The distant voice came from the centre of the zone of destruction, as Freyd slowly emerged, casually dusting himself off.

RAAWWWWWWRRRRRR!

Sewallus armor practically resonated in the cone of the beast's anger.  Poor Katoka was catching most of the spittle and drool, head on, when a small shadowy figure with azure eyes darted out of the trees from where Freyd stood and beaned the Monkey King right between the eyes.  The giant ape collapsed onto his back, staring silently at the sky, and wondering what the hell had just hit him.

"Well, go on then," Freyd motioned, waving his hands expectantly.  "Finish it off!"

Spoiler

Post Action | Freyd activates Charge (-8 EN), CD 0/3 
Free Action | Freyd activates Grappling Familiar, CD 0/5

Odin's Wrath (x18 AoE, 16 EN +2/hit): 18 EN

ID #187760 | BD: 5+6-1=10 (hit, Charge +5).  DMG (35*18=630-75=555).  Monkey King is stunned.

Allies:

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 (124-26=98) | DMG: 30 | MIT:  | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 4 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Katoka | 
HP: 680/680 | EN: 102/102 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1 | | BLD: 48
Sewallus | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 75 (100 on crit) | MIT: 50 | EVA: -1

Abilities:

• Florenthian Howl | Grants Sewallus +5 Hate against the Monkey King. Requires a Post Action. Sewallus will use this ability on his first turn, and every second post thereafter.
  • Shatter Upon a successful attack, reduce target's Mitigation by 15 before damage is calculated. This effect can stack up to three times. Shatter from outside sources will not increase the stack count, but will refresh the duration. Effect lasts three turns.

Enemies:

Monkey King | HP: 95/650 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 2 (650-555) STUNNED

Abilities:

• If a Tree Falls | On MD rolls of 9 or 10, the Monkey King will pick up a large tree and throw it at the party.  This replaces the Monkey King's normal attack, automatically dealing 120 unmitigatable damage and inflicting stun to each target.

Edited by Freyd

Katoka sighed when she turned around and saw Freyd gone. "Business as usual." she said just before the cacophony that followed. She was caught off guard seeing her friend wielding a large hammer rather than his usual sword. Her attention was drawn back to the Monkey as is roared in her face, covering her in drool and spittle. After a quick bonk to the head the monster collapsed to the ground and Kat attempted to flick some of it's spit from her body.

Her eye twitched as she angrily gripped her katana, "It's rude to spit on someone like that." Electricity crackled from her body, with a clap of thunder and flash of light she now stood on the opposite side of the prone Monkey. She returned her Katana to it's saya even though to the untrained eye it seemed as though she never fully drew it. She crossed her arms and their opponent burst into fractal shards before fading away.

"Hmpf, I was hoping to maybe get a few other things done today bit now I have to go home and wash monkey spit off of myself." the blonde turned to Freyd, "You couldn't have knocked him out a bit sooner? Also what's with the hammer?"

Sewallus, who was stood ready to attack next looked about in a daze. He scratched his head and turned to the two players, "I... How.... Thank you, for taking care of the beast. I had no idea there were people such as yourselves that were so strong."

A window pops up in front of Katoka and Freyd congratulating the two for completing their quest and Sewallus continues, "I wish to repay you by teaching you the skill <<Shatter>>." A new window pops up offering them both the option to learn the skill.

Spoiler

Katoka Attacks with Iai!

Iai (x17 focus, -15 EN) Cooldown 0/4

ID# 187764 | BD: 7+1=8 HIT | DMG: 23 x 17 = 391 - 75 = 316

-----

Allies:

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 (124-26=98) | DMG: 30 | MIT:  | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 4 | | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90
Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 87/102 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1 | | BLD: 48
Sewallus | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 75 (100 on crit) | MIT: 50 | EVA: -1

Abilities:

Florenthian Howl | Grants Sewallus +5 Hate against the Monkey King. Requires a Post Action. Sewallus will use this ability on his first turn, and every second post thereafter.
Shatter | Upon a successful attack, reduce target's Mitigation by 15 before damage is calculated. This effect can stack up to three times. Shatter from outside sources will not increase the stack count, but will refresh the duration. Effect lasts three turns.

Enemies:

Monkey King | HP: 0/650 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 75 | ACC: 2 (650-555) STUNNED

Abilities:

If a Tree Falls | On MD rolls of 9 or 10, the Monkey King will pick up a large tree and throw it at the party.  This replaces the Monkey King's normal attack, automatically dealing 120 unmitigatable damage and inflicting stun to each target.

A half-dozen interface windows opened the moment they received the quest reward.  Freyd was instantly in analytical mode, even as he replied to Katoka's comments and question.

"Do you honestly believe that I actually have the ability to give Persi any instructions whatsoever?  She's twice the warrior I am, and she knows it.  I swear, she's insufferable at times!"  The blue-eyed shadow mongoose must have felt the compliments through the boss' scattering pixel cloud as she emerged from the far side.  Her head was held high, beaming with pride at yet another major mob having been laid low by her actions.  You could practically hear her preening, despite the fact that the familiar never, ever made a sound.

Freyd gave her a callous look that melted with pride at the edges. He loved his companion, though he would never show it openly.  It would surely disappoint her if he did.

"The hammer?  Oh!  The staff!"  He held it aloft, almost having forgotten that it was still in hand.  The weapon moved like it was weightless, yet the Monkey King's recent airtime clearly demonstrated that it was capable of delivering quite the forceful blow.  "I... uh..."  He scratched his cowled head, as if it might accidentally scramble his thoughts into the right sequence.  "Well, it's the same weapon I had before, but now it's shaped like a stick instead of a sword."  A shrug settled the matter.

"You're looking pretty buff yourself, there, slim!  Katoka's got some power behind her swings!"  A proud wink confirmed his recognition of her achievement.  It felt nice to be happy for a friend.

Closing and opening her hand in a flexing motion Katoka looked down confused, "Yeah, I guess I am stronger now huh?" Her mind wandered back to what had transpired just before and during the Storm. "The whole weird electricity thing I can do has certainty become more consistent."

She smiled and looked to her friend, "So now you're Robin. Got it bird boy." Flinging a bit more of the drool from herself Kat began to walk back to the village, "It's cool that you've got a new weapon. The one I have from Griswold is fine and all, but I need something that packs more of a punch." Her hand gripped the sword at her side, her feelings of regret at moving on from the sword that has helped her for so long.

The samurai held her chin in thought as they walked, "I haven't had the pleasure of really grinding out for gear yet. Wanna help me here in the near future?"

"Me?  Grind?  Pfft."  

Freyd managed to keep a straight-face sneer going for about five seconds before his lips cracked into a smile.  

"Yeah.  'course I'll take you out looking for gear.  Is there anything in particular that you need?  I can always ask Quip and Dingo...make that Dingo... to have a look around the workshop and see what's laying around.  There's so much junk strewn around back there that we might find you a hidden gem."

He spun the staff around experimentally a few times, surprising himself with the grace and speed of such a large weapon.  "It's really rather weird, after using a sword for so long.  But, Robin?  Really?  I guess the list of competent staff users is pretty short.  And if you meant the Teen Titans Go version, I'd probably be hard pressed to argue with you - especially that episode where he splits himself into five robins, each of which is completely neurotic."   He paused, catching her eye.  "What?!  I watched TV as a kid.  Don't judge me!"

For a brief moment, he seemed almost human, and then it was back to business again.

"Actually, I recently discovered that it's possible to merge items to increase their potency.  I've got something in mind, but have yet to snare Griswold long enough to do anything about it."

Edited by Freyd

"I would never reference Teen Titans Go, though the fact that you are as familiar with the episodes concerns me..." she laughed and shoved him lightly.

"Merging huh? Interesting..." Katoka began to think about the things she wanted and needed. She held her chin as she did when lost in thought and began muttering under her breath for a few minutes. Snapping out of her stupor she began to list things off, "I need new armor for sure, I'll stick with light since heavy is far too clunky for my liking. Now for my sword I feel like it can't hurt to have two on hand depending on the situation, like one for grinding/questing and one for boss fights. I do need a new trinket as well, not sure on the enhancements though."

Kat opened a text document in her hud and began to make notes for herself, listing off what she thought would benefit her on weapons and armor. "Oh, I'm doing it again. I'm sorry. With all the new information flying around and being max level with old gear makes my brain buzz when I think about it too much." She laughed and closed her document, rubbing the back of her head with embarrassment. "Any help you or Quip or Dingo can give though would be fantastic though!"

It was especially amusing to watch her go about her scheming in a tizzy.  "Wow.  For once, it's actually not me!"  An elbow was returned in payment for her playful shove.  

"Don't underestimate the value of standard enhancements.  They're fundamental to overall competence.  People have a tendency to focus too much on uniques, which can't always deliver what you want to achieve.  You and I are DPS, so our weapons become out hearts and souls in this place.  Two layers of MIT on armor, enough accuracy and evasion to suit your comfort level, skills and mods to match.  Personally, I strong recommend investing in Recovery.  Energy levels are going to be tough to maintain outside of general questing.   Events, dungeons and raids will be slogs."

Freyd craned his neck to peek over top of her head at her notes.  

"Let me know what you need.  I'll have my people contact your people."  A wink accompanied the comment, highlighting the ridiculous notion of Freyd having people.  Somehow, he didn't see being the head of Firm Anima's O&I in that way, at all.  They were more like colleagues, to be looked after and supported.

• 4 weeks later...

She continued to add notes as Freyd made suggestions, "Right, right." She stopped and looked over at him, "I guess this is the life of a max level player huh? Making sure you can deal out enough damage without taking too much in order to progress even higher." Kat held her chin in thought as she imagined being in an actual boss fight.

"At some point I suppose we should find something harder to fight. That way we can actually experience combat that lasts longer than a few sword arts and really get a feel for this update huh?" closing the window she had opened, Katoka placed her hands on the back of her head and looked up at the forest canopy as they walked. The light passing through the leaves and onto her face still felt warm to her, a comfort that she was glad hadn't been changed. The fact that touch and warmth from simple things like clothing and sunlight still surprised the samurai from time to time. A game shouldn't feel so real, despite them living in it for as long as they all had.

"There are all kinds of rumours swarming about dangerous new field bosses that have been spotted on nearly every floor.  I have my eye on Ugzeke, to see what his refurbished version can do.  If you feel up to a challenge, than we can take one or more of those on.  There is also no shortage of sub-dungeons to be found, and I have a full load of old maps left in my inventory.  As far as I've been able to tell, they all still work."  Freyd's appearance fell into his default pensive mode, considering a gamut of other options. 

"I have to admit: it's a bit weird to think of you and others as top tier players, all of a sudden.   That's a good thing," he added quickly with a meek smile.  "I'm just not used to it yet."

He mussed her hair, with a wry big-brother-like grin, before softening the edge of his gaze.  "You've come a long way, and should be proud.  Just make sure that you're stocked up on healing, okay?  The world just got a lot rougher, and I wouldn't want anything to happen to you."

"Field bosses huh? Sounds like it could be a fun challenge. Maybe they will take more hits than our friend back there?" she laughed. "Ugzeke? Have you fought them before? Were field bosses even a thing before?" Kat tried to remember if she had read anything on them in the past. Freyd rubbed the top of her head after he commented on not being used to her new strength, she pouted like a child and stuck her tongue out at him. 

"You should really think about seeing Elora you know. I'm sure she'd like to hear from you at some point." the samurai looked up at the town that was beginning to appear in the tree tops as they neared the start of their journey. She nudged him in the ribs, "Trust me, she wants to see you." She smiled and raised her arms up, interlocking her fingers behind her head to tack exaugurated steps forward. "I guess she just has a thing for guys in cowls that know how to beat up a monkey" she mused in a teasing tone.

Freyd smiled, but his eyes suggested that he wasn't entirely convinced.  

"I want to go see her, Katoka.  More than I know how to express.  I just... don't know what to say to her."  Katoka had actually watched her fall into the black.  Freyd felt like he should have been there.  

To do what?  Fall next?  You were where you needed to be.

Turning his head as if drawn by the cry of some distant bird, he hid his inner conflict and uncertainty as best he could.  The Whisper had no frame of reference for his feelings.  They'd stalled when he locked them away, so very long ago.  Elora had rekindled them, along with others like Katoka.  Their combined efforts probably spared him the doom of becoming some mindless killing machine carving a path through the castle without even remembering why.  Sometimes, he still felt that way.  Focusing on that facet of himself had pulled him through the darker parts of the floor boss raid.  

"How do I face her, Katoka?  What do I say?  What do I do?"  Freyd found the courage to turn and face her.  As cold and calculating as he could be, it also made him appear ridiculously cavalier, even in the face of the unknown movements of his heart.  But, Katoka could see the conflict behind his eyes, tearing him apart as he struggled to decide who and what he was supposed to be.

Thread Summary:

Freyd receives:

824 EXP (800 [1 page] + 3% from Paragon 10) - quest previously completed 
282 col (200 [1 page/2] +10% of EXP earned for Laurel Wreath)
Unlock Shatter Extra Skill
Monkey Agility (Uncommon Consumable [potion]) - A strange potion that boosts the user's Evasion by 1. Lasts for one thread.

Katoka receives:

1800 EXP (800 [1 page] +1000 [Quest]) 
380 col (200 [1 page/2] +10% of EXP earned for Laurel Wreath)
Unlock Shatter Extra Skill
Monkey Agility (Uncommon Consumable [potion]) - A strange potion that boosts the user's Evasion by 1. Lasts for one thread.

NIGHT

• 192064 | LD16 | Unique Skill for Katoka.
  • 192065 | LD1 | Unique Skill for Freyd.