[F4-PP] Searching for a Familiar <Feeding Your Enemy>

"I do not think bears would be very cute. But I suppose if I could get a mounting system on a bear like a horse with a saddle. That would be an amazing idea and also the bear would help with self defense. It would scare a lot of other animals and players away in the forest." Rebekah continued.

Rebekah was still thinking of an animal to choose. But since she chose this floor, it would be something that can live in the cold and not freeze to death easily. That was why the conversation so far have been penguins, owls, foxes, bears and rabbits. Maybe she was missing another animal that lived on this floor such as a deer.

"I think getting a bird is an excellent idea. A bird is small enough so it would not consume as much food, and it can fly to help you scout your surroundings. It would blend into the forest so you can have an early detection system on your adventures." She responded to Star's comments. She had not seen anyone walking around with a hummingbird which would make it unique.

"While I do like rabbits, I do not know how useful a rabbit would be." Rebekah pondered. Rabbits were furry and cute, but she thought it lacked a utility approach. "I would want a practical familiar, one that I can train to provide some utility. I suppose if the rabbit can cook like rat in ratatouille, then it would be amazing."

@Morningstar

"You don't think a bear cub would be cute? They're small and furry," Morningstar said. He thought it'd be cute.

He smiled when Rebekah agreed with his bird idea. "I liked birds a lot growing up, so I spent a lot of time reading about them. Even if I don't manage to find a hummingbird, I wouldn't mind some other species."

The wind began to pick up a bit. His hands left his pockets, holding the furred part of his hood to keep it from falling down. The fourth floor could go from beautiful to unbearably cold in a heartbeat—another reason he avoided the floor. There was a love-hate relationship between him and the snow. The wind slowed down again.

"Do you think there are dinosaurs in the game?" Morningstar looked curiously at Rebekah.

The only thing he loved more than birds were dinosaurs. He really was a toddler in an adult's body.

@Rebekah

Edited by Morningstar

"A bear cub. That would mean praying a cub away from a crazy protective mother bear." Rebekah said. She looked around and saw the mother bear showing the young cubs how to hunt on the snow. Maybe if there was an abandoned cub. A mother bear is not something to mess with lightly.

They had discussed birds. "Is an owl a bird?" Rebekah asked. She was curious or were they considered mammals. They can fly but they are also a lot more sturdier than most hummingbirds. "Or are they mammals?" Owls do lay eggs and act like birds sometimes.

"Dinosaurs? I have not seen any unless you consider some flying dinosaurs such as a dragon? We have only cleared just over a quarter of the floors so I would not be surprised if there was a floor where there are lots of dinosaurs." Most of the dinosaurs she learned in school were giant beasts that roamed around. These would not make good pets as Rebekah would be one of the first people to defeat them in battle. 

@Morningstar

"I guess fighting a mother bear doesn't sound that fun," Morningstar admitted.

They avoided the mother and its babies. Star casually scanned the area for animals as they talked, but nothing stood out to him. She brought up owls again.

"Owls are absolutely birds," he laughed. "Actually, now that you mention it, an owl would be a cool pet. Or maybe a hawk."

Her idea of a floor full of dinosaurs sounded both exciting and terrifying. He'd read dozens of books on them and although they interested him a lot, he also didn't want to meet one face to face. That being said, he was a bit disappointed when she said she'd never seen one before. It was unlikely they existed, even within the game. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a notification. Someone had messaged him. He opened the message, recognizing the name instantly.

Joaquin: done with the quest, c u in a few days?

The message came sooner than he'd expected; Joaquin had only left for the quest early that morning. He thought for a second, wondering if he'd made any plans for the next week. He couldn't think of any

Morningstar: sure, just lmk when and where. quest went well?

.He closed the menu again, turning his attention back to Rebekah. "Have you ever done <<The Traveler>>? I think it's a quest on Floor Five."

@Rebekah

"A hawk?" Rebekah asked. Rebekah had doubted she would find any hawks on this floor, since it was cold. She had seen seahawks on the ocean floor on the twenty fourth floor, but that was about it. "Maybe if we visit the ocean instead, we should be able to find one."

"Oh the traveler? That was some interesting times. When I did it many years ago, I did not have to worry about bandits but we were chased by a giant scorpion." Rebekah recalled from her memory. "It did take some time to find the cargo hidden in the desert since it was deep into the desert. Luckily, I did the quest in the winter, so it was not as hot. I mean the weather is definitely not as bad as floor 9."

She continued, "I do believe survival is one of those essential extra skill that every player needs to learn or have available to them." Rebekah continued to explain the benefits of the quest. "I think it never hurts to have that extra tiny bit of healing since most extra skills do cost energy, skill points or require a dedicated action to use. This skill is one of those that happens passively."

@Morningstar

"A giant scorpion, huh? Sounds like quite the story," he chuckled.

Morningstar would have to wait and hear from his friend about his experience with the quest. He intended on challenging the quest soon, although he didn't know much about it. "I think you're right," he said, "Survival's an important skill. I've only picked up a few basic combat skills, so I'd like to get it later this week if I can."

"I've still got a long way to go before I'm caught up to you," he swished his hand, a blue screen appearing a foot from his face. He looked over his stats. In the last month, he'd improved significantly in terms of level, health, and his damage output. He thought he could hold his own against the weaker field bosses and such. Still, he was nowhere near what it took to fight on the frontlines.

"I guess there's no need to rush, though."

@Rebekah

"Let me know if you need help with a quest." Rebekah replied. She knew that when she was the same level as Star, she had trouble asking players to help her with a quest or a boss. But she knew that a lot of players are always willing to lend a hand and repeat a quest. That was something that she had learned from a lot of the former friends that helped her along the way, and she was finally strong enough to help others the same way as they were helping her.

"There is no hurry trying to catch up." Rebekah explained. "Sword Art Online is not a race. I think you do want to take a break once in a while to not burn yourself out trying to race to the frontlines before the next boss fight." There were only a handful of players that she knew that could grind 30 levels in a month. Not everyone was like that. "Besides there are plenty of ways to help out other than fighting in boss raids, such as crafting or helping out new players or experience players on quests to get stronger. This includes what you are doing right now, helping me find a familiar so I can get stronger."

@Morningstar

"Thanks," Morningstar smiled.

It felt like there were a million quests for him to do. Actually, he really enjoyed taking them on, especially alongside other players. "I'll let you know next time I plan to do one."

Rebekah's advice was solid. He took breaks regularly but still felt burnt out from time to time. Helping Rebekah with her quest was actually a break for him. Aside from walking, he didn't have to do much. It felt like a better way to spend his time off than wandering aimlessly around different towns. 

"I guess I need to start crafting then. I think I'll take the quest in a few days and work towards becoming a blacksmith. I don't know much about it but I imagine that the system should take me through it," he shrugged, noticing that his friend had messaged him back.

Joaquin: yeah, easy enough. meeting with elwood now, ttyl.

He didn't respond; they'd talk another time.

@Rebekah

A blacksmith. She had known a lot of blacksmiths over the years, but it was also one of the most common professions there are, partially because of the demand in good items. "I think a blacksmith is a very good idea." Rebekah suggested. "I know a lot of blacksmiths are very busy. Also, you get to save quite a lot of Col since you can forge your own items."

Rebekah added, "Since you are still leveling up, I think aiming for a perfect set of tier 4 equipment is very important. The perfect items for the tiers 1 to 3 are not as strong since I think it would not take long for you to grow out of them." She already had a full set of tier 4 perfects, it was the same set she had been using for the past seven years, and it was very durable.

"I see some more animals up ahead, maybe this time I will be luckier?" She asked.

@Morningstar

Being busy was what Morningstar wanted. Less free time meant less boredom, which recently he'd had an excess of. The focus that would come along with blacksmithing was exactly what the swordsman needed. He smiled, glad that Rebekah supported his idea.

He looked down at his gear when the girl spoke of tier four perfects. "Yeah, I guess I do need some upgrades. I see what you mean about growing out of the lower tier items, even what I've got is outdated. I'll have to find a tailor to replace my armor. Maybe I'll hold off on a weapon and make myself a sword, though."

And then there was his necklace. Morningstar grasped the pendant gently. He didn't want to replace it; however, it was tier one and had room for improvement stat-wise. He wondered if there were upgrades available for it. Maybe, if he could bring it up to a higher tier, he wouldn't have to trash it.

Lexa's Light. The last remaining fragment he had of her. A remnant of their past together crafted delicately into the wing of an angel. It was fitting, he thought. She was like his angel. He couldn't bear to replace it.

Rebekah's words returned him from his thoughts. "I won't laugh if you don't tame something, trust me."

@Rebekah

Rebekah looked around. There were plenty of animals to choose from. She had the option of the bear cub, the penguin again, the fox or the owl. She found herself walking towards the owl, having been drawn in by the beautiful white feathers. It would fit blend in well on this floor and be a perfect camouflage to hide from any unsuspecting prey. Not that anything she knows would actively hunt an owl.

She saw it land not too far away, so Rebekah decided to make her move towards the owl. It did not run away as she walked nearby and then Rebekah decided to sit down in front of it. She was looking right into it's eyes. How is Rebekah going to make sure it is going to follow her? She heard Star say something to her, but it was not registering in her brain as she was looking over the owl to ensure there was no scratches or any injuries. She wanted to know in case she needed to find a veterinarian, if they existed on Aincrad. She wondered. It took her a minute to register that she had been given food to tame it.

ID: 205946
LD = 20
(familiar found)!

@Morningstar

Edited by Rebekah

Morningstar lagged behind a bit, not wanting to interrupt the taming process. He followed Rebekah, her focus maintained on the snowy owl. He wasn't alone, but it almost felt that way as Rebekah left to look over the animal. The crunching of the snow beneath his feet was more audible and the winter air felt cold against his skin. Star had the habit of losing himself in conversation at times. He was present now. He stopped to watch the scene unfold ahead of him. Rebekah sat in the snow, examining the owl carefully. From where he was, it didn't seem like the owl minded her being so close. Maybe this was the one for her; the familiar she'd end up choosing.

More accurately, the choice lay with the animal rather than the player. Morningstar stepped off to the left, leaning up against a nearby tree. Excitement built up inside of him as he awaited the outcome of the encounter.

He hadn't thought about it before but he wasn't sure how taming a familiar actually worked. Did they just magically become your friend or did you actually need to train them?

@Rebekah

Rebekah began pressing a few buttons on her user interface slowly, making sure she was not going to scare the owl in front of her away. She had pressed the button and the familiar food that she had received from The Traveling Gypsy outside of The Frosty Cafe had appeared in front of her. Rebekah grabbed some food with her hands and held it out for the owl to inspect.

The snowy owl had looked at it for a second before shuffling forward ever so slightly to smell it. It took a few seconds to process what was in front of him. Then it took a bite at the familiar food and finished all of it that was in Rebekah's hands. Then it flapped its wings to show its approval before flying up and landing on her shoulder.

The owl hooted in appreciation for the girl, and Rebekah received a system notification that the snowy owl would like to bond with the girl in pink hair. Rebekah agreed and accepted the request before walking back to Star who was watching from a distance.

She told him, "Now, I think we need to start heading back towards Town and looking to return the remaining familiar food to The Traveling Gypsy."

Rebekah started thinking about names for a male snowy owl. She did not have a name yet, but was trying to think of one that would fit.

ID 205948
CD = 9
Successful Tame

@Morningstar

Edited by Rebekah

"Sure, let's head back."

The owl was beautiful, Morningstar thought. Its white feathers matched nicely with the snow. "Congrats on the owl. You're like Harry Potter now."

He wondered what she'd name the bird. They walked back through the thick snow that covered the ground. Their snowshoes helped speed up the travel time. They followed the trail of their footprints back to town where the traveling gypsy awaited them. 

Upon returning to the center of Snowfall, Morningstar stopped. "I suppose I should get going now. It was nice seeing you again. Glad I could join you on this quest," he told Rebekah.

He looked towards the teleporter. Where would he go next? Floor five, maybe? His gaze reverted to Rebekah.

"Let me know if you need a hand with anything else in the future," he smiled.

Then, he left with a wave, heading in the direction of the teleporter. He had yet another quest that he wanted to take on.

@Rebekah

Rebekah went to visit the Traveling Gypsy in town. She showed her brand new snow owl that had been tamed with the result of the food. "Thank you very much for your help today." She said.

The gypsy replied, "No Problem." and then disappeared.

Rebekah finally got the quest notification for a successful quest. It was now time to think of a name for her brand new snow owl, given that it was new. She started calling it random names hoping for a name to stick. The owl did not help her as it began responding to each name. Rebekah took her back to her shop, this was her permanent establishment on the fourth floor. She needed to start showing him his new living arrangements which was indoors. She hoped that the owl would rather stay inside over the harsh Christmas.

Rebekah continued to sip on her hot chocolate that she had purchased earlier this morning from the Frosty Cafe. It was delicious.

Thread Summary

Words = 7,201 / 30 x 5 = 1,200

Rebekah (previously did quest in 2014 to accomply another player):
1,200 x 4 = 4,800 EXP
1 page x 1/2 = 200 Col

Morningstar (first time):
1,200 x 2 = 2,400 EXP
1 page x 1/2 = 200 Col