[F06 - PP] The Waterfall | <<Calming the Soul>>

She stepped through the portal, and found herself in a place she’d never been before. Around her, was what appeared to be the inside of a cabin – or a cottage. She could see a collection of chairs, a couch – behind her a small kitchenette and a hallway that lead down to a bedroom, barely visible. The walls reminded her of a log cabin, and through the windows she could see snow falling on the trees outside. A slow spin around confirmed for her that this place wasn’t from her memories.

“No, you’ve not been here. Yet…” Nari’s entire body frozen in place as she recognised the voice. Her eyes widened, and her heart slowed to the point that she wondered if it had actually stopped. The shiver running up her spine caused her fingers to twitch. ‘No…not you…it can’t be you…’

Slowly, she turned to face the speaker, knowing the visage she would see. As the golden hair, the pale complexion and the piercing emerald eyes came into view, Nari felt her breath leave her. Haltingly, a half step backwards, her left hand raising shakily as if to reach out to the other woman. She couldn’t understand why she was here…she’d caused no harm, no pain…

“That’s not true, is it?” It was as if the woman was reading Nari’s mind – answering questions that were going unspoken. Nari felt, and saw, her body begin to tremble in earnest. Her outstretched hand shaking in her vision as she tried to understand. “No pain? What about the pain I feel every time you leave, every time you go to fight your battles – battles where I can’t do anything but sit, and wait to see if your name suddenly crosses itself off. Battles, where I have no assurance you’ll return from.”

“But…I’m care-“ The words caught in her throat, held back as she stopped herself from saying something that wasn’t entirely true. Was she careful? Did she really take time in conflict to consider herself, or those who would be hurt if she fell? Or was she so concerned with helping others…

“You’re careful? Are you? Truly? Do you do everything you can to ensure you come home?” The figure of Onóra laughed. It wasn’t her normal, caring laughter. This caried a tinge of sarcasm, of venom, to its core. It made Nari shirk backwards, wanting to get away from the sound. “Are you trying to tell me that you take value in surviving, above others?”

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 78/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Spoiler

Word Count: 413

Edited by Nari-Lanreth

The words hit Nari like a slap, the truth behind them so clear to her. Her entire purpose had been to ensure others returned home safely – to ensure that the fight continued for those who were trapped here. But she had never taken that consideration for herself; always fighting for the players around her, willing to give everything to make sure they could escape this hell.

“I just…I want…I want to save…” She choked back the words. She was going to say that she wanted to save her, to save everyone…but she knew that the point was her willingness to give up on herself, in order to do that.

“You want to save everyone, except yourself. Isn’t that what you were going to say?” The voice carried a tone of disdain, scorning the thoughts that Nari had failed to speak aloud. Her head dipped, and her eyes closed as she considered her response. She knew there was no hiding anything from…this. It could see into her in ways that she knew there was no escaping.

“Yes.” The single word was breathed out as a whisper, and for a few brief seconds, Nari wondered if the being before her had even heard her. She had barely heard it herself. But the response came after a pause, the voice somehow carrying an apprehension that hadn’t been there before – as if it hadn’t considered Nari’s admission possible, or plausible.

“You...you admit, that you care nothing for your own safety. Even if it causes pain for others! You couldn’t care less, so long as you go down saving others, like a hero.” The accusation held little back, and yet Nari could hear the sudden shift in the tone – the assurance in it about the state of her slipping away.

She forced her eyes open, bringing her gaze to stare Onóra in the eyes. Something about the appearance had changed – where once it was like a mirror image of the woman, now it seemed…different. Enough so that Nari could tell that this wasn’t the woman she had spent so much time with recently.

“Yes.” The creature stepped back, as if cowering away from the word. Something about the way she said it, the confidence growing within her, was causing it to retreat. She wasn’t sure what it was, but Nari felt the despair in her slowly dwindling, as if the very aura of this thing had brought it upon her. A thought fluttered in her mind, barely registered in passing. “Yes. I surrendered my own concern for my safety, to protect others…but not anymore…”

Spoiler

Word Count: 429

“Not anymore. You…you haven’t changed! Not in the least! You still only care about others!” The creature spat the words with a venomous tone that didn’t match Onóra’s appearance at all. Nari took a step towards it, watching as it retreated in kind, its hands raising as if it was expecting to be attacked. She hardened her gaze, staring the creature in the eyes.

“No. I have others whom I must think about now…others, who rely on me to return. I can’t…I can’t let them down. I can’t fail them…it’s no longer just about me.” She stared at the creature wearing Onóra’s skin, before whispering the next words. “I need to return to you.”

The words had barely left her lips when the thing let out a vicious, animalistic scream. Clawing at itself, the form of Onóra slowly drifted away, growing and expanding until a hulking, shadow form stood before her. Nari felt her shield, her spear and even her armour suddenly appear on her body – the weight welcoming, a reminder of the promises she had made, in the past and now. “I will defeat you, and return to those who await me. I will always return. Always.”

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 84/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>> | HP: 540/540 | DMG: 162 | MIT: 6

Combat Start

Round One

ID205431 | BD: 6 + 1 = 7 | MOB: 4 | <<RAW-A vs. Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>>
| The strike hits!
| 72 x 3 = 216 - 6 = 210 DMG
| Onóra <<Fourth Inner Daemon>> misses!

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 77/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>> | HP: 330/540 | DMG: 162 | MIT: 6

Spoiler

Word Count: 198

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice roll results

The shadow form let loose a scream as Nari’s blade pierced it, the thorns hidden within exploding outwards and shattering parts of its form. She pulled the spear back, taking a single step back to give herself space as the creature lashed out – missing her by the barest of hairs. She felt the calmness wash over her, as she side stepped to her left, bringing her shield up and ducking another unsuccessful swipe from the creature.

“I will not fall to your despair. I will return to those I love, and I will prove to you that I can change. That I can become who I should be. I have chosen my path, and that path is not one of the Martyr.” The words flowed from her as she continued to dance, dodging the wild swipes and strikes of the form. She watched, waiting for it to show the sign of an opening that she knew would be coming. The moment she saw it, she stepped forward, driving her spear outwards and upwards towards the creature’s face.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 81/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Round Two

ID205432 | BD: 1 + 1 = 2 | MOB: 3 | <<RAW-A vs. Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>>
| The strike misses! [-1 EN]
| Onóra <<Fourth Inner Daemon>> misses!

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 80/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Spoiler

Word Count: 177

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice roll results

The opening had been a feint, and Nari felt herself pushed back as her shield caught the sudden slam of the shadow form’s arm – thankfully managing to deflect the blow off and to the side, causing her little more than surprise. Her own attack, however, had been pulled short, and she found herself quickly being forced backwards. Gritting her teeth, she side stepped again, getting out of the creature’s main line of attack, trying to find a place where it couldn’t reach her.

“You may be small and agile, but I will catch you. And when I do, I will show you how weak, how pathetic, how vulnerable you are!” The rage spit from it, and Nari could almost sense the agitation within its voice. She stepped to the side again, dodging yet another wild attack. Its outburst, showed her how empty its threats were.

“I am weak. I am vulnerable. But…I have others who support me. And I know, now, that I can rely on them – that they are what make me strong. That…I don’t have to do it alone…not anymore.” She set her feet suddenly, pulling her spear back and preparing herself. “And that is why I will defeat you. Because I have those I love behind me, supporting me. Because I can rely on them.”

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 84/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Round Three

ID205433 | BD: 3 + 1 = 4 | MOB: 9 | <<RAW-A vs. Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>>
| The strike misses! [-2 EN]
| Onóra <<Fourth Inner Daemon>> hits! Minor Critical hit! [+1 DMG]
| 163 - 147 DMG = 16 DMG

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 704/720 | EN: 82/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Spoiler

Word Count: 218

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice roll results

The hand slammed into her out of nowhere, driving the breath from her as she felt herself thrown backwards. Tumbling, she came to a stop several paces away from where she had been, her head spinning as she forced herself back to her feet. Her spear had fallen just within reach, and she slowly collected it, trying to focus on the room and bring everything back to bearing. The creature seemed to be laughing at her, from where it had slammed into her, the sound causing the room to spin more for Nari.

“Where is your strength now, pitiful creature?! Is that the best you can do?! You’ll never defeat me, no matter how many words you spatter out of that tongue of yours. I will devour you, consume you until nothing remains!” Nari could hear the breaking point in its voice. It had managed to strike her, but the attack hadn’t ended her – likely something that caused it pause, concern.

Nari gave no response, instead bringing her spear up once more, preparing herself to strike the moment it came closer. Her expression took on an imagery of sorrow, as she realised what it was she was about to fight to destroy.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 719/720 [+15 BH] | EN: 84/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Round Four

ID205434 | BD: 5 + 1 = 6 | MOB: 9 | <<RAW-A vs. Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>>
| The strike hits!
| 72 x 3 = 216 - 6 = 210 DMG
| Onóra <<Fourth Inner Daemon>> hits! Minor Critical hit! [+1 DMG]
| 163 - 147 = 16 DMG

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 703/720 | EN: 76/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG] | Battle Healing [+15]

Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>> | HP: 120/540 | DMG: 162 | MIT: 6

Spoiler

Word Count: 202

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice roll results

As the creature rushed towards her, Nari pushed the spear forward, letting it sail through her hand and leave her grasp. It flew true, slamming into the chest of the creature and causing it to scream in pain and surprise. Not wanting to give it an advantage, Nari rushed forward in an attempt to slam her shield into the creature and finish it off for good. Her rush was halted as her spear returned to her, piercing through her left hip and causing her to stumble.

Pulling it out, she spun the spear around, letting herself limp to the side slightly in an attempt to feint the creature towards her. The resounding scream, and the slamming of feet upon the ground told Nari that she had succeeded. ‘That’s right, come here. I’m not quite done with you yet…and you won’t draw me down into the despair again – I have too many people supporting me, for that.’

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 [+15 BH] | EN: 80/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>> | HP: 120/540 | DMG: 162 | MIT: 6

Round Five

ID205435 | BD: 10 + 1 = 11 | MOB: 5 | <<RAW-A vs. Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>>
| The strike hits! Major Critical hit! [+2 DMG]
| (72 + 2) x 3 = 222 - 6 = 216 DMG
| Onóra <<Fourth Inner Daemon>> is defeated!

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 10 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 72/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 1 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG] | FROSTBITE [30 DMG]  | Battle Healing [+15]

Onóra<<Fourth Inner Daemon>> | HP: 0/540 | DMG: 162 | MIT: 6

Spoiler

Word Count: 156

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice roll results

The creature was lost in a frenzy of rage as it rushed towards her, seeing the calmness of her stance, of her emotionless face, the control of her very breathing. Nari waited as it approached, before pushing the spear forward – catching the creature in the face and watching its expression turn from hatred and rage, to confusion and fear. Nari remained still, staring at the creature intently in its eyes, before whisper to it.

“Have you made your peace with Death? For I have, and although I will make them wait, you will find yourself before them now…” Her voice was steady as she spoke, but there was an emotion hidden behind it all, one that she had not truly felt in a long time – hope. “For now, I will return to those who await me, and I will find a way to protect them, while protecting myself. But you…you will disappear into the void, lost forever to time – until I must face you again…”

With her final words, the creature exploded, the shards drifting down to the ground, before disappearing. A soft outlet of breath, and suddenly an explosion of light blinded Nari. She closed her eyes in reflex, the after image burned into her retina. Moments passed, before Nari felt safe enough to open her eyes once more.

Before her was the waterfall, its flow undisturbed. The light around her had shifted slightly, signifying a minor transition in time had passed. Her legs, still tucked beneath her, had gone senseless from her weight, and she was careful to pick herself up slowly. It took her far longer than she would’ve liked, to notice the alert in the air beside her – signifying the completion of the question, and the reward of the Meditation skill.

Touching the acceptance button gingerly, she turned to look towards the sun, high above and behind the foliage that towered over her. The smile that she felt on her face was the first in a while that she had worn in response to her own inner thoughts, and as she looked upwards, she felt a calmness. ‘I’m coming home, to all of you. I promise you that.’

Spoiler

Word Count: 362