[PP-F1] (Quest) Earning a Living

As i explored the first floors i heard the most wondrous music in the world. I followed the sound to a little street performance three men and two women. Two of the men played instruments like a lute and an ocarina. The two women danced around clapping to the beat as the man started doing flips and tricks off of buildings it was amazing.

I wonder if i could ever do something like that i said to myself with a smile thinking it looked so cool

Alrighty folks...now is the part of the show where we call and audience member in to show us what they've got said a heftier guy of the three that were there

Now...who out there is brave enough to show us what they can do? The man asked.

I was suddenly pushed into the center by someone in the crowd. I looked back but it was too late, one of the women took me by the arm applauding my bravery.

Well there we go lucky boy...what is your name sonny? the hefty man asked as i was stopped in front of him

R-...Ryu is my name sir i said shyly

Well Ryu...we are going to play some music for you and i want you to do what you do best okay? he asked

Ill do my best i said to him with a smile

Ladies and Gents, give it up for Ryu!! he announced to the crowd and they went nuts with screams and cheers

The music began to play and the ladies began to clap. I looked around trying to figure out what i was going to do. I began to dance around trying to figure out something better to impress the people.

Oh Ryu boy im sure you can do MUCH better than that he said with a funny voice and a wink.

I looked to him and smiled. I ran at the fall and did a double back flip landing one my feet pushing myself into a standing front flip. The crowd went wild as i continued to dance around. I walked around with them for a while and played the little ocarina. I actually sounded pretty good.

Have you ever thought about becoming a performer? he asked me with his gruff voice.

At the beginning i thought it was going to be super easy to learn how to become a performer but towards the end of my lessons i realized their job is much harder than it looked. They showed me how to make monster grenades using the materials one could obtain through fighting monsters or purchasing them. They were really just pre-recorded noises that lure or push monsters away.

Okay today I am going to teach you how to play the instruments of a performer said the gentlemen who played the lute at the performance.

I used to play the guitar...maybe i can do it again here i said somewhat less confident than i thought i did.

The man when to the closet and pulled out an old looking acoustic guitar. He did a quick tune up before handing it to me and asked me to play something. I started with a quick rate warm up before moving into something a little more difficult like this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0UeaErnZo&index=20&list=PLA517FD8DBBF791FD

After the song i played everyone clapped and cheered for me.

Thats wonderful boy, good job the man with the gruff voice said.

• 1 month later...

I looked to the group of street performers and realized this is not how i wanted to live my life.

Im very sorry guys...i realized that this isnt what i want to do in this game, but i had so much fun learning what i could from you guys..i appreciate all of your efforts i said apologetically

It was our pleasure buy, but remember whatever you do...be safe out there the gruff voiced man said to me

I left the tent where we had been having so much fun and continued to walk around i noticed the same boy that helped Rosalia in the quest for the pendant in the maze....oh what was his name. Oh yeah!

Hey Daeron! i said running towards him waving my hand at him

Daeron nodded his head at the player he had met in the maze. Though he vaguely remembered him, he did still remember him. Daeron then walked towards the player and he spoke returning, "Well hey there Ryu. Long time no see, but it's good to see that you're still alive. I see you're a green player now too. I have yet to do that quest." He then stood there gathering information on what the player was doing trying to figure out why they were in the same area.

I walked over to Daeron and remembered passing a shop owned by him in the shopping district. I couldnt remember what he did there but i was hoping maybe he could help me.

Hey...you...are a blacksmith right? i asked him Could...could you take me in...as your apprentice...at least for now?

I hoped he would say yes since this is what i had wanted to be since this quest has gone up. Daeron was someone i looked up to as of now especially after he distracted two minotaurs for us to escape

• 2 weeks later...

Daeron ignored my question, i dont blame him though, he i a very busy guy. I continued to toam aroun until i found a blacksmith eho could teach me the ropes on what i was supposed to do.

So you want to be a blacksmith huh? he said in a very manly voice

Absolutely i answered him confidently

Alright well...let me see... he said turning his back on the anvil and turned towards me. Youve got spunk kid, i like that, but do you have the skill?

I sure do have the skill...what do i have to do to prove it? i asked him

Go out to the wilderness and get me a few steel alloys, then we can talk about how skilled you are he said

Alright, ill be back eventually i said turning away and walking towards the door.

I wasnt exactly sure where i would find steel alloys at this point in the game. I looked for the mining gear that i had when Keith and i went hunting for Star Steel long ago and set off.

Caves in this are were more likely to have the Steel alloy piece the blacksmith was looking for. I took a step inside and saw a very shiny piece of metal hanging out of the wall.

loot die 1 (fail)

I swung the pickaxe at the wall above it but struck the shiny piece instead and it shattered into a million pieces at my finger tips

Drat....hey theres more over there! i said pointing it out to no one

I walked over to some more shiny things, i could tell what they were by looking at them but i sure as heck knew they were some kind of metal. I lifted the pickaxe above my head and began to chip away at the ground behind the shiny objects in the wall. It was tough work but it would be completely worth it in the end.

Loot roll 4 (fail)

I was still too close to the shiny piece of metal as i chipped the metal piece in half making it completely useless to me once more. I was having no luck in this cave but maybe down the road ill find something somewhere.

All i need is one piece, just one piece would do some good, maybe if i fought something it would work just as easy... Another shiny object hung from the wall like a rope from a tree. It was already pretty loose but it also looked extremely fragile. I aimed my pickaxe at the wall just above the object hoping it would be enough to knock it out of the cave wall.

Roll 13 fail

Again, i was too strong and struck the piece of metal too hard braking it into shards that were too small to use.

Maybe mining was no good i said hearing a noise behind me. I withdrew my Katana after putting my pickaxe in my inventory.

A little ant came out of the wall. It was the color of steel but it definitely was closer to a bug. It looked pretty vicious but nothing compared to what ive fought before

Ryu 56 HP

Ant 27 HP

I ran at the little ant and found out it was much bigger than usual. Though it was made of metal alloy, maybe it feeds off the ones here in the cave and gets its mass from them. Either way i was going to kill it and steel the alloy from its body. I ran at it a little faster with my katana in hand and swung at the ant.

Roll 7, hit 9 damage

My sword collided with its tough outer shell and once inside it met with squishy innards and cut cleanly leaving a red gash in the computers program.

The ant squealed a high pitched squeal as it tried to counter attack but couldnt find any strength as it turned back to face me

Ryu 56/56

Ant 18/27

With a little bit of anger and a tad bit of frustration i gripped my katana a little harder than usual. This ant stood between me and the job i was willing to take up for the remainder of this game. I drew my breaths slowly buying time for me to think up a clever strategy for taking this bug down. I ran it again with my sword at my side in an attempt to pull off a slashing maneuver.

I wasnt able to hit the bug, but it was able to hurt me pretty hard. My armor mulled most of the pain but theres always a little bit that seeps in through the cracks

Ryu 55/56

Ant 18/27

With my recent miss i was afraid id do something stupid like that again so i turned back to fight. It was pointless to run from a weak enemy and even worse one not nearly as strong as the worst things ive ever fought. I gripped my katana and charged full speed in an attempt to drive my blade into its body.

Roll 2 miss again

I failed, big whoop it was going to cost me much more health the next time it attacked...i would feel that something was brewing inside its steely little body.

Ryu 53/55

Ant 18/27

With a sense that death was right around the corner, i took my katana in my hand and ran as fast as i could at the bug of metal. Its tough armor was harder to penetrate that any other material in the world. Its steely body was definitely different from the Star Steel Golem i had fought weeks ago. I drove my sword into the head of the the ant

Ryu 53/55

Ant 9/27

I was so grateful that i was up to par with the bug. I lifted my sword once more hoping this would be the last time. I grabbed my katana and aimed it at the ant.

(This happens all too often) Roll 10 crit 11 damage

My katana radiated a silver light as i cut deep into its body. Upon the final cut scratching through its pathetic body the creature exploded into a million little crystals and i obtained a steel alloy from its body. Nothing special but also very expected.

I should return at once i said turning around and exiting the cave as quickly as i could

Upon returning to the blacksmith with the piece of alloy i had so harshly earned, he took it from me and gave it a look over.

Alright, take this and ill show you how to forge he said as he led me to the forge itself.

Once there he took a piece of steel alloy and tossed it into the furnace. The smelted steel came out as an ore and he took it over to the anvil. He cleverly bounded it out but got nothing more than a basic sword out of it, which was understandable for being the NPC tutorial guy.

Now that youve seen it, why dont you give it a try? he said looking at me and giving a small smile

Craft Roll 11 Rare item.

Item: Armor of the Duke

Quality: Rare

Description: Typically only worn by royals, some say that striking it will hurt you more than it could ever hurt the royal bloodline, Silver chestplate with a golden shield in the center and a purple cape coming off the back(+1 Damage Mitigation, +1 Thorns)

I did as he instructed and tossed the alloy into the burning fireplace. Out came an ore and as i place it on the anvil i began pounding away at it. For the first time ever i had begun to craft these things. After the glowing died down there laid a nice piece of armor

Look! I did it! i said with excitment

Congrats kid, youve got some talent there he complimented me

Is that everything i'll need sir? i asked the NPC

Absolutely and with that, you can now open a shop on any of the floors unlocked by other players, congrats kid, you are a blacksmith, which means you can make weapons and armor he said kind of cheerfully but not entirely.

I waved goodbye to him and he waved goodbye back at me. It was good to know that there are some helpful characters in this world, even if that was what he was programmed to do. On that note i set out to find the perfect place to set my shop down, even if everyone was used to going to a certain shop, its never bad to have more variety to pick from.

-Complete-

Earned: Job title

Ability to create a shop

Armor of the Duke (Pending approval)