Is this a good idea  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea

• Yes
    • No

So far, the Merchant Profession feels very useless. Since anyone can trade/buy/sell items, so I have come up with a proposal.

Merchant: The merchant is the master of item knowledge. They have the ability to detect abilities deeper then anyone else, and, with careful practice, have the ability to reassign stat points to items. In order to do this, they must expend a crafting material, and then use the following chart.

1 - 6: Attempt Failed

7 - 9: Minor Assignment: 1 Attribute may be changed (IE: +1 Accuracy to +1 Damage)

10 - 11: Lesser Assignment: 2 Attributes may be changed

12: Major Assignment: 3 Attributes may be changed

With this, a player can attempt to get old items remade with different statistics if need be. It is important to note, an Item can not have additional attributes added if it would bypass its quality level. So if you have a perfect with only 2 enhancements so far, you could have a merchant add a third with a 7 - 9 roll, but an uncommon can not have a second enhancement added.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree on this idea. Although it sounds like a great idea to try and give Merchants a way to be a useful profession, if this is the profession to reassign abilities to weapons, then why are we Blacksmiths and Tailors making new weapons if a merchant can go up to someone and make their weapon brand new. All someone would need then is a perfect weapon and never again will they need to go to a blacksmith because the merchant can just change everything about the weapon then.

As for a suggestion on how to improve this. I would recommend, now I know this would take a lot of work, but make a value list. Basically all of the common items that everyone gets has a set value. And let's use this for example.

<> 100 Col

<> 100 Col

<> 1,000 Col (Due to only few players having one)

A merchant then can be the only person to actually SELL, trading however is open to all. Merchants are also able to get a higher loot dice for higher ranked rewards from monsters. Basically, making them the perfect people to get several crafting mats, or even uncommon weapon/armor drops. This way, they can get the material. Otherwise than that, I have no other idea.

Interesting idea.

I agree with some of the points made here. I totally agree that the Merchants can be the people who buy and sell standard crafting mats for people. But there should be standard set prices (or a reasonable price range)

However, I still think that blacksmiths/tailors can sell stuff, but maybe if we limit them to only being able to sell stuff that they created only, that way, because as of right now.

While I also like the first idea, maybe if we limit the changing of the attribute to only 1 stat only per item, and only on crafting lvl 12, and possibly down to 10 when mastered, so that people will still have to visit blacksmiths OR tailors.

However, creating a ranking system for merchants using the standard format would be near impossible, how does one gain exp (by dice rolls? orders?), other than that, if anyone has any ideas.

I agree with the idea of only being able to sell what you craft. Merchants should be the people that you go to for purchasing other things. But the fact that they can change an attribute makes no sense to me. I see no way how a merchant would be capable of doing so.

As for a leveling system, a merchant needs to keep track of EVERY sale made from their shop, and ONLY their shop. Basically they level up based on how much Col they have sold worth. This shows how good of a salesperson they are, bringing more business for them.

An example system could be:

Level 1

Col Profit Needed - 2,500

10-15 = 1 Material

16-18 = 2 Material

19-20 = 3 Material

Level 2

Col Profit Needed - 10,000

9-15 = 1 Material

16-18 = 2 Material

19-20 = 3 Material

Level 3

Col Profit Needed - 25,000

8-14 = 1 Material

15-18 = 2 Material

19-20 = 3 Material

by the time it maxes out, it could be up to level 10

Level 10

Col Profit Needed - 1,000,000

5-10 = 1 Material

11-14 = 2 Material

15-17 = 3 Material

18-19 = 4 Material

20 = 5 Material

However, this does not apply to finding bosses, it will only apply for actual loot drops. Also, every few increments of levels as you can see, they can gain additional mats from drops, since a normal player has a very low chance of getting 3 mats form a single drop. Again, these should be hard to increase over time, so they don't max out their profession too soon. And also, this is just a basic idea rough idea of how the leveling could work.

This would make them the perfect players to gather material and earn huge Col profits from easy mat/loot drops.

then why are we Blacksmiths and Tailors making new weapons if a merchant can go up to someone and make their weapon brand new. All someone would need then is a perfect weapon and never again will they need to go to a blacksmith because the merchant can just change everything about the weapon then.

Other crafts still have to create the item in the first place. Not everyone would just want one of a single item either. They may want to switch which weapon they use, or which armor they wear based on what type of encounter they expect to have. You might have gear for tanking bosses, but then a different set for solo killing and then maybe another set for dueling. The reassigning of attributes mostly lets people change poor decisions or switch stats around in case they get another item with duplicates.

Everyone probably wants to have at least one +3 weapon, that doesn't mean they don't want a spare with other effects for different situations. I'm going to bet even if this merchant system was used, there would still be more item creation than reforging. I think the original concept is a good idea, though the exact details of how it should work could be explored further.

Huh. I for one, actually quite enjoy this idea. This way, people will have a reason to visit merchants, and get items they always wanted. It has my support. There are always going to be changes though, so if this does get implemented, then GMs will probably put some other flare on it.