[PP-F25/28] The Endless Maze

Grey clouds hung over Morningstar like a bad joke, taunting him with downpour but never fully committing. He toyed with the idea of entering the Labyrinth by himself. A single teleport crystal was tucked away in his inventory, ready to pull him out of harm's way. The maze was enormous, however, and largely unexplored. There was no telling what kinds of traps or teleportation locks lurked around the winding corners and towering walls. 

Contemplation ended with the decision to call for backup. He scrolled through his friends list and, deciding that there was only one good option, he typed a message to Freyd.

morningstar: hey, you free? i'm outside the labyrinth if you feel like a quest

He followed it with an incentive.

morningstar: you have to come otherwise i'll go in alone, die, and you'll have to live with that on your conscience forever

Preparing his gear, Morningstar downed a number of consumables and equipped his freshly appraised armor. It was a bit dark for his taste but it matched his weapon nicely. It was a mysterious set, Vikhrov's Legacy. Morningstar had set a side goal for himself of investigating the vampiric items.

He leaned against the stone labyrinth, awaiting a response from his friend.

mCt6WS1.png

[ lv. 44  ->   l. 33 / p. 11 ]
MORNINGSTAR | HP: 865/865 | EN: 108/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

Hide contents

notes.

• +1 LD from Multipurpose
  Hide contents

equipped

• soulcursed blade
    VO II, AA I, STK I
  • vikhrov's legacy 
    THRNS I, VD I, MIT I
  • sapphire
    ACC III, EVA I

battle-ready inventory

• x1 teleport crystal
  • x1 healing salve
    HP III

skills.

Hide contents

mod count: 3/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • precision, stamina, ferocity
    • shift: tech
  • HEAVY ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • impetus, iron skin
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 5/5
    • night vision, detect
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 3/5
  • ENERGIST
  • CHARGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. FORGOTTEN KING'S AUTHORITY
  3. LADY LUCK

buffs.

Hide contents

statue

• n/a

consumables 

• mountain's defense
    MIT III
  • warlord's thirst
    DMG III
  • oats
    OH III

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD

arts.

Hide contents

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x11 -> x14
  • TECH-A | x16 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x16 | DELAY | 15EN
  • TECH-D | x16 | SHATTER | 15EN

misc.

Hide contents
  • Well Rested | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
  • Squeaky Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down).
  • Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30.
  • Tasty | Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread.
  • Relaxed | Increases out-of-combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • Advanced Training | +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month. Must be used on a player's first post in a thread. Cooldown begins counting down when used in a post.
  • Multipurpose | Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Skylight (Unassigned) | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. 
  • Working | +2 EXP per crafting attempt

fishing

• n/a

Edited by Morningstar

pixai-1689341822328567976-3.png.04e83045f312e4bbc49a24be4ba4a21d.pngBarter and trade, the appraiser's best arsenal at work and invaluable when it came to equipping the rank and file to face whatever manner of enemy Cardinal bent their way at its master's whim.  Freyd has been seeking building materials of late, for a private project near and dear to his heart - plying his chosen trade for less martial or clandestine purposes.  It felt good to step away from seemingly perpetual conflict.  Others had the right of it: make time for the things that matter lest no more of it remain.  Fate never tells you how much you have left on your fuse before you blow.  So, oddly enough, the man who was all business all the time had learned the importance of shifting gears every once in a while.  He'd even seen two a beach or two, of late, and picked up some colour along the way.  Even the NPCs who knew him best were remarking that it suited him.  The Whisper merely smirked and kept his secret to himself.  Feelings could be exploited, after all, and he would never risk that which had become most precious in his life.

Wrapping up a deal in Ladonia, where tech and tools could be more easily procured, Freyd received his friend's unexpected missive with a smile.  Morningstar was a good egg, with smarts and spirit in equal measure.  It was a rare combination that suited the blonde well and warranted every effort he could make to nurture it.  The recent and rising star's good nature also made it easy.

"The labyrinth?"  Freyd's right brow rose at mention of the vaunted gauntlets serving as precursors to floor raids.  "Have they actually found it already?"  That didn't seem right.  Wushen had only been recently defeated and post-raid exhaustion usually lingered for at least a few weeks before someone finally gave way to the itch and started scouring anew.  Blackness, like oil in water, drifted over the azure blue of the man's irises, concentrating 'til only windows to the void remained in his eyes.  Gazing through the nothing held advantages, especially when seeking certain answers: like the whereabouts of a friend. 

"Ah.  Lite'Tara.  That makes a lot more sense."  A second message flashed through his translucent interface presenting Morningstar's guilt trip follow-up. Corners curled skyward at the edges of his lips as long, thin fingers started typing out his reply.

To: Morningstar

Bold of you to assume I have a conscience to assuage.  He's actually been on sabbatical for awhile.  Still, I should at least protect my investment and make sure I recover that sword if you're so focused on getting your innards smeared against that maze's walls. 

Guess I'll bring the chalk, for the outline or else to find us a way home in the aftermath.

"So," began the mirthful shadows given voice by Morningstar's side.  "We hunting dragons, golems or weavers today?  Or it is something new?"  Barest moments had passed since Freyd sent his reply.

Stepping more openly into the grey - this floor never truly knew the blessings of full daylight - Freyd looked much the same as he had at their last meeting.  The clothes were just as drab and monochromatic as ever, but the cut was more relaxed and casual lacking the more familiar padding of armor previously worn.  The Whisper gave a quick salute to the nearby statue of a giant minotaur in the settlement's central square, exchanging silent memories with the hero he'd once met in person.  Freyd's angular features remained framed by his trademark cowl, contrasted against feigned disinterest in the form of a stance.  In his hands rested a small tray of desserts with one already and conspicuously missing.

"Oh, that reminds me.  Need any num-nums?"

Note: CS (Shades of the Gemini) is in use.  If any other player objects to this, please state in first post and it will be considered inactive.

Freyd consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (6/6) - 1 portion (offers same to party)
Armageddon Juice (Potion) | Damage 3 | ID 179907
Madlad Muffin | Tierless Rare Meal | EVA 2 | ID 215226 + Filled
Jackpot Pretzel (Snack) | Loot Die 3 | ID 197172
Divinity's Wait (Meal)| T4 Mitigation 3 | ID 188383-1

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 152/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 

Spoiler

"Freyd, The Whisper in Shadow
Level: 33
Paragon Level: 123
HP: 1140/1140
EN: 152/152

Stats:
Damage: 21+3
Mitigation: 45+60
Evasion: 4+2+1
Accuracy: 3+2
Battle Healing: 62
Loot Dice: 6+3
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
REC: 8
V.D.: 125

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride | T4 MA | FLN 2 | HLY 2
Armor: Black Cowled Traveling Garb | T4 CA | VD 2 | REC 2
Misc: Fight O'er Flight (ACC 2 | EVA 2)

Combat Mastery: Damage R3
Combat Shift: AOE
Familiar Skill: Grappling Familiar
Custom Skill: Shades of the Gemini

Skills:
Martial Arts R5
Battle Healing R5
Cloth Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change
Extended Mod Limit
Extended Weight Limit
Fighting Spirit
Howl

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Athletics
Emergency Recovery
Untraceable
Detect

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Focus
Precision
Nimble
Reveal
Stamina
Focused Howl

Active Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority

Inactive Extra Skills:
Frozen Hide
Brawler
Photosynthesize
Hiding R2

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk:  Hope's Covenant - Resolve +4 (T4 Demonic Weapon (MA) - AA, Phase, Frostbite, VO)  x1
EWL:  The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic MA, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off))    x1
EWL: Dagan Crystal-B (Reusable) x1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt
Practiced Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt, addition +1 LD/CD to fishing attempts
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Tanos Statue: +25 Mitigation for a thread.

Wedding Ring: n/a

Fishing: Level 4 | 461XP"                                                

Edited by Freyd
  • 1 month later...

"Golem," Morningstar adjusted the strap across his chestplate, "singular. Ever fought the Titanium Warden?"

He graciously accepted Freyd's gift. Refusing free crème brûlée was against his nature. Frankly, it would have been disrespectful.

"I'm a little directionally challenged so I'm glad you could make it. I think it's more likely that I'd get lost than die to the Warden."

After double-checking his equipment, Morningstar took the first step, beginning their expedition into the everchanging maze. He finished off Freyd's food without waste and blindly led the way. He couldn't recall the most recent time he had seen Freyd. Weeks were starting to feel like years and everything blended together, blurred as if smudged on a canvas. 

"I've got books if we never find our way out, by the way. Borrowed them from the Grand Library in Ronbaru. Mostly non-sensical, I admit. One of them is in a made-up language. It's all yours."

+2 ACC from Crème Brûlée Tray

Edited by Morningstar

"Oh, hunting the big boi, are we?  Yeah.  He and I tangled a few weeks ago.  It didn't end well for him.  Fortunately, that'll make him really easy to find."  Features disappearing into his cowl, as if the darkness within was swallowing him whole, Freyd turned his head creepily far to the right, and more than his neck should probably allow.  The cut of his jacket stretched in protest, as if not meant to be turned or twisted to such an extent while worn. 

"He's this way. Five hundred yards, moving southward at his usual lumbering pace.  We're lucky; he's close.  This place is large enough that it could have taken us days to reach him, even knowing where he stands."  The rest of him uncoiled to match his facing properly, then entered the maze itself and instantly moved off to the right. 

"Handy skill, tracking.  So much more efficient for the hunt, once you've previously caught your prey.  Doesn't particularly help to make them any more squishy, mind you, but helpful in other ways.  And it's the weavers you need to watch for in here, though I suppose one might also think of them as 'wardens' for this death trap.  Nasty critters.  Fought one solo recently.  Not my best decision, but it worked out all the same.  I wouldn't recommend trying it."  Skulking steadily along, Freyd led them safely through the endless corridors, bypassing various twists and turns as if guided by some sort of unseen certainty.

"Books, you say?  I didn't even realize that Ronbaru had a library.  To be honest, I've spent very little time on the newest floors, including the one we just cleared.  Too many other projects on the go, it seems.  Have you been up there yet?  To the new one?  I hear that it's very... American."  There was no implication of judgement in his tone.  Freyd genuinely seemed surprised to use that descriptor for Japanese fantasy content, but then considered the last thirty Final Fantasy products and just shrugged.  Maybe Western lore was as mysterious and enticing here as Eastern culture was in the West?  He'd grown up in both.  They just blurred one against the other with neither seeming to offer any homely context.  Maybe that was why Aincrad felt so familiar?  Stopping only briefly, Freyd placed a few convenient marks in chalk obtained in Lite'tara on a nearby wall, discretely marking it so he could tell it apart from all the other random scrawl from past visitors.  Some of them would not have made it back.  

"Best not to follow someone else's directions," he suggested.  "Let's leave some for ourselves.  I've heard tales of PKers leaving false marks to lead players into ambushes, or sometimes just for sick chuckles.  This place gets too deep into some players' minds and leaves them broken inside.  Sick bastards."

Freyd uses Tracking [Titanium Warden]

• 2 weeks later...

Freyd pinpointed the golem's location at lightspeed, checking off the first problem on Morningstar's endless list.

"Tracking, huh? I haven't picked that one up yet. So many skills, not enough points, right?" He followed Freyd, heading his warnings of the weavers.

"Twenty-eight's a strange one. I went once, not long after the boss fight. Got teleported to a room in some manor and had to do puzzles to get out. The game's gotten creative with it's traps—I don't know if you've noticed. It almost feels like evolution, which sounds crazy when I say it out loud," he laughed, although he was dead serious about the idea. Even NPCs felt different than Morningstar remembered. Their lives and personalities felt more tangible and real. It wasn't only the people but the monsters he fought too. Maybe he had simply been in the game for too long. Maybe it was getting to him.

"I can see why PKers might choose this place. It fits the creepy serial killer aesthetic. Although," he admitted, "I wonder if it's even possible to find another player with the layout changing so frequently."

As they turned their final corner, they felt no need to mark the wall. The Warden stood before them, awaiting the next unfortunate soul to accidentally stumble into its domain. Freyd and Morningstar were not those players.

"Strongest first?"

Massive as it was, the lumbering metal giant remained oblivious of both players as they debated.

"Well, normally I'd agree, but in this case I'm going to have to insist on taking point."  Grinning broadly at the twisting of his friend's intent, Freyd rushed forward and leapt hard to the left, bouncing back and forth off the parallel maze walls to build his momentum and height.  Having reached a point level with its gaze, he zigged one more zag and smashed the golem across its nose with a resounding clang.  Reverberating off the high stone walls, the echo nearly burst their ear drums, yet the actual blow had only marginal effect.

"Yeah.  This dude be like that," Freyd yelled down, from his position clinging to one of its shoulder pauldrons.  "Let's beat down its armor a bit and we should be able to take it down fairly quickly."

The warden, meanwhile, was gazing upward at the dark ceiling overhead, wondering from where that mighty gong had come.

Post Action | TECH-D (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 9 EN.  
Free Action | Grappling familiar (CD 0/5)

ID #218862 | BD:1+5+3=9 (hit, autohit from Tracking).  DMG (24*12=288-180=108).  Shatter applied. Titanium warden is stunned.  Freyd suffers 50 damage from thorns. (CD 7 | ST-B locked)

Freyd | HP: 1090/1140 (-50) | EN: 143/152 (152-9) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 865/865 | EN: 108/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[0,2] Titanium Warden | HP: 1142/1250 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 (-20, 1/3) | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | Battle Healing: 50 | Thorns: 50 | Fireproof | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3) (1250-108)

Abilities:

• Methodical | The <<Titanium Warden>> is in no rush, only attacking once every other turn. During the turns that it does not attack, any debuffs active on the creature are ineffective.
  • Magma Jolt | On attack rolls of BD 9+ and CD 9+, this boss will issue an AoE attack that fires a blast of molten steel at each player for 175 damage, ignoring 50% of Mitigation. Additional rolls for this AoE are unnecessary - it will strike each target without fail.
  • Deteriorate | For each critical hit dealt to this boss, its Mitigation is permanently reduced by 50.
Edited by Freyd

Morningstar could not help but laugh at Freyd's quip. The Whisper moved quickly towards the Titanium Warden but it ate the backbite of his sword as if it were a mere gust of wind. It was not entirely unexpected, considering what their opponent was made from.

"We might be in for a long one," he called back, watching the man dangle from the giant's metal body.

He agreed with Freyd's strategy of whittling down its mitigation until the envelope of plating was weak enough for them to strike it meaningfully. He followed in his partner's footsteps, increasing his pace with each step. The Warden was shorter than Wushen and far slower as well. Morningstar was not intimidated.

A few well-timed leaps brought him to a height similar to Freyd's. He hung from his blade, which had managed to pierce the armor around the Warden's bicep. From there, it was difficult to determine the next best step. He looked down, judging the distance between him and the ground, as well as how much health he might lose should he fall. His sword was wedged too deep into the Warden's arm and there was little leverage for him to continue his climb.

So, he hung there and waited for the Warden to give him a hand.

Post Action | TECH-D (x16, 15 EN): 15 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 12 EN.  
Free Action | None

ID #218864 | BD:6+6+1+3=16 (hit) | DMG (26*16=416-160=256).  Shatter applied. Morningstar suffers 50 damage from thorns. 

Freyd | HP: 1090/1140 | EN: 143/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 815/865 (-50) | EN: 96/108 (108-12) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[2,1] Titanium Warden | HP: 862/1250 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 (-40, 2/3) | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | Battle Healing: 50 | Thorns: 50 | Fireproof | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3) (1250-132)

Abilities:

• Methodical | The <<Titanium Warden>> is in no rush, only attacking once every other turn. During the turns that it does not attack, any debuffs active on the creature are ineffective.
  • Magma Jolt | On attack rolls of BD 9+ and CD 9+, this boss will issue an AoE attack that fires a blast of molten steel at each player for 175 damage, ignoring 50% of Mitigation. Additional rolls for this AoE are unnecessary - it will strike each target without fail.
  • Deteriorate | For each critical hit dealt to this boss, its Mitigation is permanently reduced by 50.
Edited by Morningstar

Leaping silently high into the dark, miasmic air clouding the upper reaches of the maze, Freyd flipped and twisted in a move that momentarily convinced the laws of physics to function more like suggestions.  Plummeting downward, fist first, the black void wrapped about his hands ripped open the holy seals sworn to temper the infinite hunger within.  Samael's Pride, unleashed, screeched like the literal hole in space that it was and plunged his hand straight through the thick metal plating on the colossus' chest.  Sparks showered in reds and orange, setting the darkness alight with flares as pure oblivion carved a massive gouge down the golem's chest.  Freyd landed deftly on the ground below, earning even Persi' admiration for the display of cat-like grace.

The warden, meanwhile, turned its doldrum attention back to the battle from its skyward glancing, yet it did little more than poke at the gash in its armor.  The rent was already slowly healing.

"Damn, that thing is tough," Freyd cursed.  It was hardly his most potent hit, and had further depleted the thing's armor, but its resilience remained admirable.  Fortunately for them both, the thing was also dumb and slow as molasses.  "Save your stun for a moment," he suggested, his companion still dangling high above.  "He's like a big  turtle about to come out his shell.  That's when we need to strike as hard as we can."

(Note: error in Freyd's previous damage calc has been corrected.  24 have been added back to mob's current HP)

Freyd regains +4 EN
Freyd regains 62 HP from BH
CD 7 (+8 REC proc) ID #218865
Cooldowns: Grappling Familiar (1/5)

Post Action | TECH-D (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 1/2; Stamina) = 9 EN.  Charge (CD 0/3, +8 EN)
Free Action | None

ID #218866 | BD:7+5+3-1=14 (hit, Charge +3, Fallen +16) | DMG (12*43=516-200=316).  Shatter applied, but is suppressed this round due to Methodical. Freyd suffers 50 damage from thorns.  (CD 5 | ST-B locked)

Freyd | HP: 1090/1140 (1090+62[cap]-50) | EN: 138/152 (143+4+8-9-8) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 815/865 (-50) | EN: 96/108 (108-12) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[4,1] Titanium Warden | HP: 570/1250 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 (-60, 2/3) | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | Battle Healing: 50 | Thorns: 50 | Fireproof | StunImm[F] (1/3) (886-316)

Abilities:

Edited by Freyd

Morningstar placed his feet against the Warden's tough armor and tugged on his sword. Clearly, he had wedged it in too well. It wiggled a bit but the majority of the blade was stuck. He groaned, annoyed with his own misfortune. He tried dislodging it a few more times before giving up and rethinking his strategy.

"Little bit stuck! Catch me if I fall!" he shouted to his comrade below.

Hanging from one hand, he swished his wrist with the other. His inventory, full of primarily junk, grew large before him. At the very top was one of his many underused blades. He was glad he had chosen not to sell it. He took a moment to think out his route up the colossus' arm and practice the motions of pressing each button, hoping to quickly ingrain them into his muscle memory. Then, holding his breath, he pulled himself up, simultaneously unequipping the Soulcursed Blade and replacing it with the Blade of the Sands. His grip reversed, he swung as high as possible. Like before, it buried its way into the Warden's arm, only this time, he was a foot higher.

He exhaled his pent-up breath and a wide smile replaced his frown of concentration. He thought, "that wasn't so hard."

Morningstar regains +4 EN
Morningstar regains 25 HP from BH
CD 2 (VD fail) ID #218872

Titanium Warden regains +50 HP from BH

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 9 EN. 
Free Action | None

ID #218878 | BD:3+6+1+3=14 (hit) | DMG (12*26=312-200=112). Morningstar suffers 50 damage from thorns.  (CD 1 | ST-B locked)

Freyd | HP: 1090/1140 (1090+62[cap]-50) | EN: 138/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 790/865 (+25-50) | EN: 91/108 (+4-9) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[4,1] Titanium Warden | HP: 508/1250 (+50-112) | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 (-60, 2/3) | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | Battle Healing: 50 | Thorns: 50 | Fireproof | StunImm[F] (1/3)

Abilities:

Edited by Morningstar

"Catch you if you... what the..."

Looking up, Freyd watched as Morningstar extricated himself from an odd position and still managed to pull off an unorthodox attack.

"Nice moves, but you're no damsel in distress.  If you fall, the ground can catch your ass," he call upwards with a chuckle.  The golem was finally starting to rouse itself, its attention focusing down upon the Whisper even as the fire behind its eyes began glowing ferociously.

"Oh, no you don't."  Speed was ever in their favour.  Darting forward, Freyd leapt and spun, dodging as a giant metal gauntlet sought to swat him from the air.  Slipping through the slot between its grasping fingers, Freyd's fury unleashed as he plowed his fist into the monstrous mob's left knee.

"GONGGGGG*

A shockwave of white light pulsed from the point of impact as the heavy metal plating ruptured then shattered, spraying like shrapnel in every direction at once.  Freyd himself emerged out the back of the knee, covered in glittering orange fractal motes as the titan's leg exploded and disintegrated at the same time, signaling its pending demise.  A moaning, whale-like groan was all it managed before its upper body toppled sideways, driving its head straight into the labyrinth wall, then shredding it and the rest of its body like a giant block of cheese on a grater as the crumpled to the ground.  Tumbling quick and low, the martial artist was instantly back in his combat stance, ready to launch another attack, but it wouldn't be necessary.  This fight was over.

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 9 (+8 REC proc) ID #218884
Cooldowns: Grappling Familiar (2/5), Charge (1/3)

Post Action | AoE-I (x15, 11 EN, +2 shift, +2/hit): 15 EN - (Stamina) = 13 EN.  
Free Action | Crystal of Divine Light

ID #218885 | BD:10 (Crit +3, Deteriorate, Holy +24).  DMG (15*51=765-90=675)

Freyd takes double damage until next turn.

Freyd | HP: 1090/1140 (1090+62[cap]) | EN: 137/152 (138+4+8-13) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 790/865 | EN: 91/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[7,2] Titanium Warden | HP: 0/1250 (+50-112) | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 150 (-60, 2/3) | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | Battle Healing: 50 | Thorns: 50 | Fireproof | StunImm[F] (1/3) (508-675)

Abilities:

Loot Titanium Warden: ID #218886 | LD: 8+10=18 | CD: 3
+2 materials (+2 CD odd)
6250 col (HP[1250]*5 - incl. +2 LD even)
T4 Rare Consumable 218886a
T4 Rare Weapon 218886b

Edited by Freyd

Particles floated up and behind the Titanium Warden. It began to tip; Morningstar's queue to leave. He released his grip on the blade, allowing it to dematerialize behind him. His feet connected with metal and he began to slide down the forearm of their falling opponent. The steel of his boots screeched against it but amidst the chaos, Morningstar hardly noticed the ear aching sound.

He couldn't tell when or where he had fallen off, but the drop had been shallow. Unharmed, he sat against the wall of the labyrinth. "Y'know," he called out, "I really expected there to be more of a fight."

Soulcursed Blade reappeared to Morningstar's hands and he leveraged it to pick himself up. The square battlefield looked larger and far emptier without the colossus that was the Titanium Warden. The emptiness was ominous, as was much of the maze. "Ah, well," he leaned his sword against his shoulder, "there'll be more monsters, I'm sure. It's been—what—nearly thirty minutes and we haven't seen any spiders? Unheard of."

He looked around, trying to remember which way they had come. Spotting a corridor with some chalk along the far wall, he assumed it was the correct one. "I'm ready to head out when you are," he told Freyd. "If I haven't used up all of your free time, feel like running a dungeon?"

ID: 218969 CD: 7 (no mob encountered)
ID: 218970 LD: 15+7=22 (exit available)

Edited by Morningstar

"Yeah... sure," Freyd gladly responded jovially, tamping out sparkly mob bits drifting like embers down onto his clothes.  "Uh... how about we head up to that new floor we just helped open and see what's poking around there?"  Lite'tara wasn't a large settlement, and also located just outside the labyrinth's gates.  It took them mere seconds to reach the teleportation arch in the main square.  "Oh, crap... what was it called again?  Ummm... something Wizard of Oz meets spy movie... Oh!  Right.  Glyndebourne!"

The dull and ominous greys of floor 25 faded from view to be replaced by far more vibrant yellows, oranges and reds of a forest in full autumn splendor.  Maple trees dotted the broad boulevards of the town's rustic thoroughfares, with a seemingly endless quantity of maple and oak leaves slowly drifting to the ground.  "A small army of workers must be required to regularly clear those," Freyd muttered as he watched a gaggle of kids jumping into a nearby pile.  "This place reminds me a lot of some of the old colonial museums we used to visit when I was a kid.  I grew up in British Columbia," he added for clarity.  "Some of the details are a bit off, but this whole floors seems disturbingly New-England-y, by which I mean oddly different than all of the others we've cleared to date."

Freyd's trained eyes often looked first where others' would never even bother to glance, drifting naturally to a dark alley behind a nearby tavern.  Several long shadows reached out from the lane, thanks to the approaching dusk.  Their shape and jagged movements instantly roused suspicion as they clustered and one fell, the others racing away.  Wasting no time, Freyd tapped Morningstar on the shoulder as his companion emerged from the portal and darted towards the alley. A young woman lay bleeding and on the ground, her coarse brown dress likely stained by waitressing - an apron on the ground at her side.  

"Bad move, chums," came a voice from behind them.  

"Can't have no witnesses, lads," echoed another from the far end of the lane.  "We do what we have to."  A pair of ruffians blocked both ends of the narrow passage, each bearing knives and with faces covered by red bandana masks.

"That didn't take long,"  Freyd snarked, cracking his knuckles as they approached.  "Maybe this floor isn't as boring as it looks after all."

Use Random Dungeon Map [200014b]

Edited by Freyd

It was nice to be back out in the sunlight after so much doom and gloom. "British Columbia, huh? My parents had a house in Vancouver. I used to stay there sometimes for work. Nice place. Busy," he followed Freyd out of teleportation arch. It was his second time in Glyndebourne. A proud summer-lover, Morningstar was unsure of how the floor made him feel. Perhaps, he had not explored enough. He hadn't actually left the city yet. He did, admittedly, enjoy wearing sweaters. Maybe it'll grow on me, he thought. He felt a tap on his shoulder, prompting him to spin his head around. It took longer than it should have for him to realize what Freyd was hoping he would see. 

Together, they stood just inside the shadow of the alleyway. The thugs spoke as if they weren't perfectly happy to cut each of the swordsmen down. Two stood at their backs while the remainder approached from the opposite end of the lane. He glanced at Freyd. "Can't go 5 minutes without someone trying to kill us."

Abruptly, Morningstar spun around, simultaneously withdrawing his blade. It sliced through the first of the concealed brutes like butter. His severed hand fell to the ground with a thud, as did he, although it was with a scream.

Freyd regains 40 out-of-combat HP
Freyd regains 1 out-of-combat EN
Morningstar regains 40 out-of-combat HP
Morningstar regains 1 out-of-combat EN

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 13 EN. 
Free Action | None

ID #218986 | BD:5+6+1-1=11 (hit) | DMG (16*26=416-60=356).  (CD 1 | ST-B locked)

Freyd | HP: 1130/1140 (1090+40) | EN: 139/152 (138+1) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 830/865 (790+40) | EN: 79/108 (91+1-13) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[0,1] Glyndebourne Thug 1 | HP: 44/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3) | (400-356) 
[0,0] Glyndebourne Thug 2 | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1
[0,0] Glyndebourne Thug 3 | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1
[0,0] Glyndebourne Thug 4 | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

Edited by Morningstar

"Vancouver?  Really?!  I grew up in Burnaby, on the edge of Coquitlam!  Small world, eh?" Freyd chuckled, shaking his head and somehow seeming to forget or ignore the peril gathering around them.  It had been more than a decade since he'd left that life behind, plus whatever time had passed since they'd been trapped in this nightmare.  But now wasn't the moment to wistfully reminisce. 

Mayhem followed the sailing of a severed hand, instantly driving Freyd into a frenzied flurry of action.  Fists and feet flung themselves in various directions all at once, the first catching the dismembered hand and driving right between the eyes of its former owner.  Adding insult to injury was just a bonus.  The fact that it caused his head to explode paid credence to Morningstar's talents as a swordsman.  Freyd, meanwhile, was already working on the balance of the group.  Speed meant sacrificing accuracy and his next blow fell short against the fallen man's partner.  

"That one's yours," Freyd managed in passing, leaping up onto one of the alley walls then pushing off for added oomph, clocking both thugs with a single cross cut trailed by a a roiling of shadows that seemed to dance about the Whisper, or perhaps with him?  Two knives stabbed, and one should surely have found purchase, yet the man's agile grace somehow supplanted his presence with that of his shade.  Steel met nothing but void instead, while the Whisper stood from his crouch behind both attackers, neither realizing where he'd gone.

Spoiler

Post Action | AoE-I (x15, 11 EN, +2 Shift, +2/hit): 21 EN (Rested 2/2, Stamina) = 18 EN (-2 for one miss)
Free Action | None

ID #218994 | BD: 3+5=8 (hit) | DMG (15*24=360-60=300) to Glyndebourne Thug 1.  Dead.
ID #218995 | BD: 3+5-1=X (hit) | DMG (15*24=360-60=300) to Glyndebourne Thug 2.
ID #218996 | BD: 1 (miss). Misses Glyndebourne Thug 3
ID #218997 | BD: 3+5-1=X (hit) | DMG (15*24=360-60=300) to Glyndebourne Thug 4.

ID #218998 | MD: 2+1-5=-2 (miss)
ID #218999 | MD: 9+1-7=3 (miss, due to Shades of the Gemini)
ID #219000 | MD: 8+1-7=2 (miss)

Freyd | HP: 1130/1140 | EN: 126/152 (139-16) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 830/865  | EN: 79/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[2,1] Glyndebourne Thug 1 | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3) | (44-300)
[0,0] Glyndebourne Thug 2 | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1
[2,0] Glyndebourne Thug 3 | HP: 100/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (400-300)
[2,0] Glyndebourne Thug 4 | HP: 100/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (400-300)

Note: Slain mobs do not meet loot minimums.

Edited by Freyd

"No kidding? We've probably passed each other in the street at some point," Morningstar laughed, blocking a thug's knife and kicking him back. Freyd's follow-up had been precisely timed, a successful execution of teamwork. One down, three to go, Star thought.

Three, however, was quickly turning to zero. His partner taking on two opponents for himself, he was left with the one who remained. The man pulled down his mask to spit and then raised his dagger high. He was hesitant to engage; understandably so, considering the clear difference in weapons. Morningstar took over, combining his lunge with a deep swing. A red glow overtook his blade. It met the blade of the man's dagger, cracking it in half. Shocked by the sudden loss of his weapon, the thug lacked the ability to react to the sword tip that had entered his abdomen.

"Hm. Should have used Charge," Morningstar muttered.

Spoiler

(note: adjusting Vamp Def. 47 should be 41. no effect on previous combat.)
(also note: increasing rested from 2 to 3 because I actually have well rested.)

VD Fail (ID: 219029 CD: 6)
Morningstar regains 25 HP from BH
Morningstar regains 4 EN

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Well Rested 2/3; Stamina) = 13 EN. 
Free Action | None

ID #219028 | BD: 6+6+1=8 (hit) | DMG (16*26=416-60=356) to Glyndebourne Thug 2.

Freyd | HP: 1130/1140 | EN: 126/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 830/865  | EN: 70/108 (+4-13)  | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[2,1] Glyndebourne Thug 1 | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3) |
[0,1] Glyndebourne Thug 2 | HP: 44/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNEDStunImm[F] (0/3) | (400-356)
[2,0] Glyndebourne Thug 3 | HP: 100/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1
[2,0] Glyndebourne Thug 4 | HP: 100/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

Edited by Morningstar

Grabbing both distracted thugs by the scruffs of their respective jackets, Freyd yanked, smashing the questionable contents of their skulls together with a hollow *clack*.  As they rebounded off each other, a curt shove to accelerate the motion drove their aching faces into the stone walls on either side of the alley.  Both men dropped to their knees, clenching their poor, battered heads, wondering what was happening.  They still hadn't clued in that Freyd had vanished from sight, though both were also rather discombobulated.  A pair of lightning quick kicks shattered their digital forms and sent orange fractal shards spraying across the cobblestone looking like twin barrels of spilled marbles.

The last of them was still shying away from Morningstar when his head suddenly lurched backwards to meet the Whisper's swiftly rising knee.  The sickly crunch soon turned into the scintillating shimmer of similar shards to match that of his brethren, which was suitable as he'd just joined their fate.  Strangely, when all three bodies dissolved, the jackets they wore remained.

"Uh... that doesn't usually happen," Freyd surmised, giving his best scrunchy face of confusion.  Glancing over to his fellow appraiser for confirmation, he bent down to inspect the abandoned gear.  There was nothing remarkable about it, being standard cut brown leather coats of apparent local make.  Each had the same red, padded interior lining woven in loose textiles that showed bits of goose down stuffed within for warmth against the cooler edges of autumn weather.

Turning his attention towards where the woman's body should have been, Freyd found it gone entirely.  Only the bloodstains of her fate still darkened the ground where she fell.  

"Damn.  Aincrad's OCD about corpse disintegration can be a real drag, sometimes.  Can you make anything of these?"  He tossed on jacket to his friend while sifting the last of the mob dust with his boot, as if hoping for clues.

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 6 (No REC proc) ID #219046

Post Action | TECH-F (x8, +2/hit)=14 EN (Rested 1/2, Stamina) = 11 EN 
Free Action | None

ID #219043 | BD: 2+5-0=7 (hit) | DMG (8*24=192-60=132) to Glyndebourne Thug 2. Dead
ID #219044 | BD: 4+5-1=8 (hit) | DMG (8*24=192-60=132) to Glyndebourne Thug 3. Dead.
ID #219045 | BD: 9 (Crit +2, Holy +16) | DMG (8*42=336-60=276) to Glyndebourne Thug 4. Dead.

Freyd | HP: 1130/1140 (1130+62[cap]) | EN: 126/152 (126+4-11) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 830/865  | EN: 70/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

[2,1] Glyndebourne Thug 2 | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNED StunImm[F] (0/3) | (44-132)
[4,0] Glyndebourne Thug 3 | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (100-132)
[5,0] Glyndebourne Thug 4 | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 180 | MIT: 60 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 (100-276)

Note: Slain mobs do not meet loot minimums.

Edited by Freyd

Freyd finished of what Morningstar could not with a solid kick. Sliding his sword away, Star watched his opponent's jacket fall to the ground. He turned around and there were more where Freyd had taken down the others. Drops normally appeared as a prompt rather than on the ground. "You didn't pick up a quest before you came, did you?"

The woman was gone as well. He didn't see her escape the scene and assumed they had been too late. "It's a shame," he looked at the ground where she once lay, "but if she's an NPC then maybe she'll respawn." He caught the jacket, giving it a thorough look. It was dirty but in good shape. He noticed nothing of interest; no symbols or insignias to give them any understanding. He checked the pockets as well with no luck. "Not a clue. What about the rest of them?"

He unequipped his armor, curiously trying on the jacket for fit. It wasn't perfect but he liked the look. Whether he could actually keep it, however, he was unsure. He took it off, throwing it over his shoulder. "Strange for a fight like this to happen inside of a safe zone, don't you think? I've never seen anything like this on the other floors." He knelt down, taking a look at another jacket. "Crime in Glyndebourne. Wonder if it's a regular occurrence or a weird glitch."

Edited by Morningstar

"We could ask the local guard, or sheriff - whatever they use around here.  Mounties?  Wouldn't that be ironic?"  Gathering up the remaining coats, Freyd returned to the main thoroughfare, searching for any other matching garments or evidence of local security.  "I've seen pocket combat zones within safe zones before," he offered.  "They'd not common, but I stumbled into one in the Town of Beginnings, ages ago, when I was just starting out.  Some ghoulish thing feigning childrens' cries would lure players into a dead end alley and then ambush them.  Noob players would forget or simply not know the warning markers, unaware of the actual risks.  Still, it's been a long time since I've seen its like."

Flipping one of the coats inside out, he noticed that the interiors were badly frayed, as if more heavily worn than the outer layers.  Many loose threads curled out from the worst of the worn areas, drifting to litter the ground as he manhandled the clothes.  

"Not exactly fine craftsmanship, are they?"

Turning again to head into the bar, Freyd ran headlong into two large, burly fellows who were emerging at precisely the same moment.  They were dressed like soldier, each carrying a hefty steel halberd whose highly polished heads gleamed in the brilliance of the midday sun.  Their surcoat marked them as military men, though something about the arrogance of their demeanor suggested that their presence here wasn't on friendly terms.

"Gads, Chadwell!  Can't you keep from stepping on the locals?"

"'pparently, not,"  hiccupped the wall-of-a-man who'd just run into Freyd.  "The Lord Magistrate won't appreciate local folk getting uppity in the presence of his retinue, I expect.  What say we thrash these two as an example to the rest?"

Freyd rolled his eyes in response, ready to counter and diffuse until he caught a closer look at their clothes. The red dye in their surcoats was precisely the same as that found in those of their assailants.  And yet, their uniforms were clearly foreign-made compared to other visible dress and craftsmanship.  Accustomed to dismissing such bluster while in safe zones, Freyd ignored them and slid between them with his typical agility, only to realize too late that their icons had suddenly shifted to red.  Eyes wide, he turned as both guard leveled their weapons and impaled his friend.

"Oh, like FUCK you just did that!"  Freyd barked, menace palpable in his voice, despite confusion over how they'd managed it in the safety of the town.

Every shadow within line of sight suddenly swelled and lengthened, their inner darkness responding to the call of something familiar... the rallying cry of something primal and ancient, also thought destroyed.  A vestige remained, it seemed, as Freyd's eyes flickered to full black and shades of every kind detached themselves from their owner to stand beside him like a phalanx surrounding the two soldiers who instantly refocused their attention on the slender boy who'd just slid past, now looming threateningly before them.

"What the..."

"What's with the..."

"You want to mess with someone?  You mess with ME.  Now, let's just see how well that's going to go for you..."

1971317837_FreydofShadows.thumb.jpg.386b483870b21e6cb0b103b63f38d2f9.jpg

Spoiler

Morningstar would have healed 20hp during last post (non-combat)

(Random targeting since no hate established: CD 1-6 = Freyd, CD 7-12 = Morningstar)

ID #219078 | CD: 9 | MD: 8+2-1=9 (hit). DMG (280-134=146) Surly Redcoat 1 hits Morningstar.  Surly Redcoat 1 suffers 36 thorns damage.
ID #219079 | CD: 9 | MD: 7+2-1=8 (hit). DMG (280-134=146) Surly Redcoat 2 hits Morningstar.  Surly Redcoat 1 suffers 36 thorns damage.

Post Action | Howl (CD 0/2,  2 EN) +3 hate
Free Action | None

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140) | EN: 123/152 (126-3) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 558/865 (850-146-146)  | EN: 70/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

(3,0) Surly Redcoat 1 | HP: 664/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 (700-36)
(3,0) Surly Redcoat 2 | HP: 664/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 (700-36)

Edited by Freyd

Morningstar let out a low grunt. Dull pain, inhibited by the system's restrictions, erupted in his gut and chest. His gaze dropped. The ends of two halberds had been buried in his torso, leaving an expulsion of blood in their wake. In the corner of his vision, his health bar dropped below seventy percent. What was happening? How could there be another gap in the safe zone? He looked at Freyd, who, in a split second, had taken on a form worthy of his title.

The pain doubled as the spears were withdrawn from his wounded body. He toppled over, the combination of shock and damage briefly overwhelming him. Twice in one day, they had been attacked in places advertised as safe havens. Twice.

If his level were much lower, he'd have died from the surprise barrage. He raised his head to get a better look at the enemies. He couldn't believe that the game would let the fight happen. His mind raced with confusion, working to understand how the system could risk not his own life, but the lives of the players who simply wanted to spend their days within the walls of towns and cities. Habitually, his hand went for his sword.

He exploded up, flipping his sword upside down. Furiously, while their attention was locked on Freyd, he drove it into the shoulder of one of the Surcoat's. "Hey," he gave the blade a twist, "don't go taking your eyes off of me. We're not done yet."

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 25 HP from BH
ID: 219080 CD: 3 (VD fail)

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 13 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219081 | BD: 5+6+1=12 (hit) | 26*16=416-120=296 DMG to Surly Redcoat 1

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 123/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 583/865 (558+25) | EN: 57/108 (70-13) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

(3,1) Surly Redcoat 1 | HP: 368/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNED StunImm[F] (0/3) (664-296)
(3,0) Surly Redcoat 2 | HP: 664/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1

Edited by Morningstar

Furious at Cardinal's flagrant violation of its own rules, Freyd grabbed the butt end of the nearer attacker's halberds as they drew it out of Morningstar's gut, sympathy pains flashing through the back of his mind as he recalled suffering such grievous injuries himself.  Fortunately, Morningstar was made of sterner stuff and withstood the treacherous blows where a lesser player might have expired instead.

'Thank goodness,' Freyd sighed silently in relief.

Yanking downward and pulling back, the blade on the redcoat's polearm caught the mob in his own abdomen while Morningstar leapt and cleft his shoulder from his torso from above.  Swiveling the haft like an oar in a rowlock, the Whisper thrust again with all his might, spearing the other traitor in the arm and forcing him to loosen his grip on his weapon.  A swift kick to the back of the first guardsman's knee wrenched his polearm free and into Freyd's full command while he crumpled, flailing backwards to the ground.  Driving the haft back into the stunned man's face, Freyd literally broke him, shards spraying like a burst sack of flour all over the floor.

The other redcoat swung, missing wide as his target bent awkwardly backwards.  Freyd looked like he should have broken his back, the angle unbefitting of any endorsement for spinal care.  Even as he did so, his right leg lifted with a twist, catching their lone remaining enemy under the chin with enough force to launch him hard into the lintel over the door.  The entire building shuddered from the impact, with the mob slumping back down and bracing against his own weapon as a crutch to keep from falling prone.

"Nobody does that to my friends," Freyd seethed between clenched teeth, signaling to Morningstar that revenge was his for the taking.  His eyes faded from black to burning azure blue instead, and in that moment, Freyd looked eerily like his own familiar.

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 9 (+8 REC proc) ID #219151
Cooldowns: Howl (1/2)

Post Action | AoE-I (x15, 11 EN, +2 shift, +2/hit): 17 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 14 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219152 | BD: 6+5-0=X (hit, Fallen +16) DMG (15*40=600-120=480) to Surly Redcoat 1
ID: 219153 | BD: 7+5-1=X (hit, Fallen +16) DMG (15*40=600-120=480) to Surly Redcoat 2

ID 219155 | MD: 3+2-7=-2 (miss).  Surly Redcoat 2 misses Freyd.

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 121/152 (123+4+8-14) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 7 | ACC: 5 | BH: 62 | LD: 9 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125 
Morningstar | HP: 583/865 (558+25) | EN: 57/108 (70-13) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 6 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 7 | THRNS: 36 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 47 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 | Stealth Rating: -5

(5,1) Surly Redcoat 1 | HP: 0/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 (0) | STUNNED StunImm[F] (0/3) (368-480)
(5,0) Surly Redcoat 2 | HP: 184/700 | DMG: 280 | MIT: 120 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 (664-480)

Loot Surly Redcoat 1: ID #219154 | LD: 8+10=18 | CD: 2
4900 col (HP[700]*7 - incl. +4 CD/LD even)
T4 Rare Consumable 219154a
T4 Rare Weapon 219154b

Edited by Freyd