[PP - F01] A Fresh Start in a New World | <<The First Few Lessons>>

It hadn't been but maybe a few minutes since Wulfrin had finished logging in. His brown hair fell gently down to just below the start of his longer bangs parted to help with visibility. He came equipped with a simple red tunic and tan trousers leading to a pair of leather boots that extended halfway up his calves. He stood about 5'7"  and was still adjusting to the feeling of weightlessness that came with being a virtual avatar. He scanned the central plaza of The Town of Beginnings, at least that's what the game called it as he logged in. He began wandering the streets examining the various shops and services that were available when he heard the voice of someone in a slight bit of a fluster. "You there! Stop, please!" A man approached Wulfrin with long, purposeful strides. "Pardon me, but I am in need of some assistance, and you appear quite capable."

He was used to RPGs so it didn't surprise him when a dapper gentleman pulled him aside and grabbed his attention. "My name is Dorian, and I am the mayor of this town. As part of those mayoral duties, I issued a small loan to a member of the community a few months ago. Well, the time to collect had come around and I-"  Dorian stammered. He must have had a nervous tick since he began stroking his mustache systematically. "You see, I've forgotten who it was I loaned the money to. Terribly embarrassing, I know, but I am a very busy man, and I cannot keep track of everything that happens. I'm sure you understand." Wulfrin looked at Dorian quizzically "Surely he couldn't have forgotten who he lent money to." Wulfrin thought to himself.  Dorian waved his hand and continued. "Should you be willing to track down the loan recipient for me, and collect the col, I would be eternally grateful. Just, maybe don't let anyone else know I forgot who the loan went to?" 

"Sure I can look into it for you," Wulfrin stated with confidence. A small text windo appeared before him with the text <<Begin Quest: The First Few Lessons?>>. There were two indicators one for accept and one for decline. He tapped the green circle that signified that he would accept the quest. 

"Excellent, I knew I could count on you! You might start with Zackariah, the alchemist. He's often doing projects for the town, so it may have been him that borrowed the money." Dorian nodded and bounded off, likely in search of another freshly created player.

"Well," Wulfrin said with a crack of his knuckles. "That guy sure is a character." He looked around the small shopping district. "Where is good ol' Zackariah setting up shop." And he took off deeper into the shopping district.

Wulfrin | Lvl: 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 20/20 | ACC: 2 | DMG 3

Equipped Items:

• Rare one-handed straight sword: ACC: 2

Battle Ready Items:

• 3 Starter Healing potions (Heals 50 hp each)

Skills:

• Straight Swords Rank 1/5

53003568.jpg

"Look, all I'm saying is that I've been here at least two dozen times to help collect the very same debt.  At some point, the guy is either just blackmailing you or you've become an indentured servant, and slavery doesn't sit right with me."  The speaker's voice came from a darkened alcove by the front door of Zackariah's, where a pair of oddly disembodied hands gesticulates wildly to express their owner's frustration at the mob's seemingly maligned predicament.  "He's using you, Zack.  And you just keep letting him do it!"

Upon closer inspection, one could see the hands attached to arms, in turn attached to a figure clad in back clothing who seemed so at home in the shadows that they naturally wrapped and coddled him in their depths.  The pale skin of his lower face was all that was otherwise exposed, the rest of his head concealed beneath a soft, black, woolen cowl neatly draped over top of his head.

"This isn't right."

"I know, I know," replied the elderly shop owner, pedantically, while long wisps of white hair bobbed casually about in the air beneath his neatly kept beard.  Zackariah was only half-listening while he worked, having grown accustomed to the shadowy man's rants.  His passion was amusing, if somewhat misplaced, but he seemed to mean well.  "Dorian may have his shortcomings, but his ridiculous ruses keep me engaging new customers, which beats sitting in here all day long brewing potions that nobody ever buys, except you," he added, chuckling.

Freyd's mouth snapped shut, jaw clenched with frustration, but not for the old man's kindness and caring.  Almost every player in the game passed through here, at some point.  Zackariah had seen and helped to train them all.  No, it was the system itself that drew his ire, for its rigid control over their very existence and that of the mobs who were likewise trapped here in Kayaba's charade.

"Ah!  A newcomer.  Welcome, my friend," the old man smiled as he greeted Wulfrin. "Are you here to order something? I’m sorry, but I am currently swamped with orders, and I’m running out of supplies.”

Freyd just sighed and shook his head, watching the same scene unfold as it had so many times before.

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 152/152 | DMG: 21 | MIT: 45 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 4 | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125                                                

Spoiler

"Freyd, The Whisper in Shadow
Level: 33
Paragon Level: 123
HP: 1140/1140
EN: 152/152

Stats:
Damage: 21
Mitigation: 45
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
Battle Healing: 62
Loot Dice: 6
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
PARA IMMUNE
REC: 8
V.D.: 125

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride | T4 MA | FLN 2 | HLY 2
Armor: Black Cowled Traveling Garb | T4 CA | VD 2 | REC 2
Misc: Shadowed Rose (ACC 3 | Para.Imm)

Combat Mastery: Damage R3
Combat Shift: AOE
Familiar Skill: Grappling Familiar
Custom Skill: Shades of the Gemini

Skills:
Martial Arts R5
Battle Healing R5
Cloth Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change
Extended Mod Limit
Extended Weight Limit
Fighting Spirit
Howl

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Athletics
Emergency Recovery
Untraceable
Detect

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Focus
Precision
Nimble
Reveal
Stamina
Focused Howl

Active Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority

Inactive Extra Skills:
Frozen Hide
Brawler
Photosynthesize
Hiding R2

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
T4 Vitality (+16 EN) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk:  Hope's Covenant - Resolve +4 (T4 Demonic Weapon (MA) - AA, Phase, Frostbite, VO)  x1
EWL:  The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic MA, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off))    x1
EWL: Fight O'er Flight (ACC 2 | EVA 2) x1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt
Practiced Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt, addition +1 LD/CD to fishing attempts
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Tanos Statue: +25 Mitigation for a thread.

Wedding Ring:

Fishing: Level 4 | 461XP"                                                

"Well,"  Wulfrin replied with a slight chuckle. "Based off the tail end of that conversation you were having, you probably know why I'm here." Wulfrin reached to the back of his head trying to be as casual as he could slightly embarassed. He had never considered that the NPC's could actually think somewhat. "Now I feel like I'm intruding." He thought to himself before replying. "I've been sent by Dorian to talk about collecting a debt that he lent out to someone, but can't seem to remember who. And by the looks of it this isn't the first time."

"Yes, yes" Zachariah replied like it was a rehearsed script. "Unfortunately the debt is a ruse, likely to help out newcomers such as yourself." Wulfrin took notice if the cowled figure in the corner as Zachariah continued. "But since you're here would you mind gathering some materials for me? I'm currently swamped with orders and need a bit of help filling them." Zachariah gestured haphazardly to the other figure in the room. "Someone likes to buy up a good portion of what I have in stock."

"Yeah, I'd be willing to scrounge up some materials for you." Wulfrin replied. "Are there any materials in particular I should look out for?"

"Oh nothing too crazy," the alchemist responded in a relaxed and softspoken manner. "Just some simple herbs, flowers, rare woods, or really anything you can get your hands on outside the city walls. Gather what you can and bring them back to me and we'll get your order straightened out."

"What do you mean we?" Wulfrin asked confused.

"That's a simple one," Zachariah's tune had changed to a more excited tone. "I'll be teaching you how to make potions yourself!"

"Good enough for me," Wulfrin shrugged. "I could use all the help I can get. This is all very different experience than what I'm used to." 

Wulfrin turned to the figure in the shadows. "Speaking of help," Wulfrin approached had out stretched. "Name's Wulfrin, any chance you'd be willing to at least show me a few tips? You look like you've been around Aincrad." The genuine curiosity was getting the better of him and at this point, with the knowledge of death being permanent in Aincrad, he was having to force himself to not just run headfirst into the wilderness with no experience in a full-dive system. "And if it helps, I won't make you be the only one Zach sells to." 

Freyd's grimace softened to a wry smirk at Wulfrin's boldness and consideration.  'Maybe this one's a better egg than most,' he thought to himself, before nodding in agreement.  

"Yeah. Sure. Why not."  A shrug dismissed his prior frustrations as he reached out to firmly grasp and shake the offered hand. "There's nothing to buy here until Zack's stock gets refilled, so that seems like a reasonable plan."  Slipping his hand into a pocket made invisible by the black on black clothing still partially layered in darkness, Freyd pulled out a small, plain brown paper bag.  Scrawled messily on the side was a label in black ink reading: Newb survival kit #23.

"You're going to want this.  Scratch that," he added, quickly correcting himself.  "We're both going to want you to have this.  I've been through this too many times to spend more of my life staring at people pick dandelions with tweezers hoping for gold. Foragers must be masochists at heart.  I don't know how they do it."  He left out how much crazier it was to be an appraiser, thinking it best not to overwhelm.

"Freyd, by the way.  Glad to meet you."  Formalities were followed by a party invite that soon revealed that the newcomer was indeed just starting out.  Good.  That means fewer chances of shenanigans.  Player killers used all sorts of tricks to lure people out.  Freyd knew better than to let his guard down.  Actually, it might be more accurate to claim that he simply didn't know how.

"Have fun, lads," Zackariah replied softly, returning to whatever task he'd chosen to distract him.  Wulfrin could have also sworn the saw the NPC mouth a silent 'thanks' in his direction.

Freyd gives Wulfrin: 

Jackpot Pretzel (Snack) | Loot Die 3 | ID [197178]

Wulfrin gave a friendly salute to the Alchemist that had already returned to his work as they exited. "Thanks for the gift," Wulfrin said to his new companion before the chime of Wulfrin opening his UI echoed in the street.

The walk to the Northern Gate was uneventful with the exception of audible frustrations from Wulfrin. The entire trip he was deep in the menus and the player's guidebook handed out to each new player. "There's just so much going on," Wulfrin dejectedly sighed. "Normally I'd just experiment and learn the game, but considering the GM's announcement, I feel everything needs to be figured out before going into anything outside this city." At last the party reached the gates and Wulfrin dismissed his menu. Knowing that its better to look for materials farther from town walls from his other RPG experiences, Wulfrin headed deep into the Wilds of Floor 1. It was a change to be outside the city. He was reaching out and experimenting with the sensations being imprinted by the Nerve-Gear. He could tell it wasn't real but it was real enough in the moment. It wasn't long before he began snatching up various herbs, bits of wood, and flowers. "I'm not sure what exactly to grab," he continued to search for random materials.

"Sorry I've been a bit frantic, Freyd," Wulfrin addressed his adventuring companion. "I invited you for advice and I haven't even asked for it yet. What is something I should keep in mind to ensure I have the best chances of survival?"

ID: 218863 | LD: 13 | Material Search (First Lesson). Material found (1).

"You know that you need to eat that for it to give you any benefit, right?"  Freyd watched curiously as Wulfrin accepted his starter kit, but seemed to tuck it out sight.  Part of him admired the ballsy move, accepting a gift and stashing it for future use.  Where others might have been insulted, his pragmatic nature was impressed instead.  

"Normally I'd just experiment and learn the game, but considering the GM's announcement, I feel everything needs to be figured out before going into anything outside this city."

"The GM's... you do realize that was over two years ago, don't you?"  Obscured by the brim of his cowl, Freyd widened eyes and raised brows stood a chance of being obscured, but his tone definitely revealed some mix of confusion and surprise.  Was this some other case of player-lock stasis or a booting error?  It wouldn't be the first time he'd seen some poor soul thinking he'd only just put on the nerve gear twenty minutes ago, not realizing how long they'd all been trapped in Kayaba's hell hole.  Though, it might have explained his stats after all this time.  The sheer multitude of traumas affecting players was getting too diverse to track, let along explain.  Some people just hid away, denying their reality for as long as they could, as he had done himself.

"I'm not sure what exactly to grab,"

"It may not actually matter.  Some people are very precise and meticulous about the materials they gather.  Others seem to use objects that have nothing to do with what they're trying to craft.  A big part of the system seems to be the crafter having faith in their ability, and maybe just a little bit of luck from the random number generator."  He shrugged, pulling an antiquated-looking fishing rod with a grip in the shape of an upside-down duck's head.  The green paint over the handle was faded down to bare, careworn wood.  Perching himself on a stone overlooking the nearby babbling brook he cast his line into the waters.  "No need to fret, and don't mind me.  The system won't let me help you collect the mats, so I'm mainly here as moral support.  As for advice?"  His hood tilted downward in thought.  

"Make as many friends as you can, and hold fast to those you trust.  This place changes some people.  For some, it brings out their very worst and darkest sides, stripping away their humanity.  Beware those who carry orange cursors instead of green."  He raised a single hand to point at the spiraling, double-pointed crystalline icon floating over his head.  The fish must have been waiting for him to be distracted and tugged at his line the moment he'd loosened his grip.

Fishing ID 218867 | CD 11+1=12 | LD 19+1=20 | +1 Material | Critical Catch! (+18 EXP)
Practiced Angler: (+2 EXP/attempt, +1 CD, +1 LD when fishing)
R4 Fisher | +3 to LD when opening fishing treasure chests
No Olympic Fishing Tool

Opening Fishing Treasure Chest | ID 218868 | LD 8+4=12

T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 218868a
T4 Rare Armor/Shield  218868b

+18 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

Wulfrin stopped for a brief moment and decided to make use of the gift given to him. He had hoped it would speed up the time it would take. "Good to know I'll keep that in mind!" He turned and went a bit farther from the river both for some fresh materials to maybe appear and not disturb the fish that Freyd had taken a shine to. After a good hour or so of not finding anything, Wulfrin decided to draw his Straight Sword. He had studied a bit in his free time but those lessons had grown fewer and farther between as life started getting in his way. A few swings of the basics just to get the feel of it and it was back to searching but with no luck he returned to the bank of the stream and sat down. As he stared up at the bottom of the floor above there was a flash of yearning in his eyes. "So if I wanted to fast track my way up there," He raised his right arm and clenched his fist towards the floor above. "I like the challenge. I want to be right there with the others as we charge the Ruby Palace." As he said the words a wave sadness seemed to wash over him. "Well I say that, but I took me this long just to start even trying." He then fell silent as he just stared into the bottom of Floor 2.

After a bit of time being lost in thought, he got up and returned to his search.

Wulfrin consumed Jackpot Pretzel +3 LD for thread.

ID: 218869 | LD: 7+3 = 10 | Gathering Materials (First Lesson). Nothing found

"Same answer, really."  Freyd sat perfectly still, legs akimbo and unmoving save for the occasion flick of the wrist or to collect a catch.  It seemed uncanny peaceful for a man whose garb suggested a life that might be mostly led otherwise.  "I can take you on a few runs.  It's always tough when you are first starting out, since gear and stats can make such an impact.  Visit the Knight's Shift up in Tomoika, on floor 21.  You'll be perfectly safe, so long as you remain in town.  Ren's the proprietor and has a soft spot for people who are just starting out."

Glancing over at Wulfrin's weapon, Freyd fondly recalled starting out with a similar blade.  So much had changed since those days.  Now he fought using little more than his two bare hands... well, not exactly bare.  Samael's Pride, the midnight wraps wound tightly about his palms, resonated with a dull hum when he clenched his fists.  It as if the weapon were reminding its bearer that he too could be little more than its latest meal, if he didn't take care.

"I started out as a swordsman myself, thanks to the generosity of strangers.  Call it me paying it forward and ask him to put any requests you may have on my tab.  He can hook you up with armor as well, should you prefer something more durable than cloth.  Otherwise, Krysta's shop in the Town of the Beginnings would be a good source for lighter wear.  The Evening Star, nearby, often stocks useful trinkets.  Something to boost accuracy is always essential."  He paused to glance back at the water, daring the swirling ripples to interrupt.

"Have you given thought to your fighting style?  It's easy enough to hack and slash, but the true fighters on the front lines always have some particular flare that defines their sword arts, beyond just mundane fare."

Fishing ID 218870 | CD 9+1=10 | LD 13+1=14 | +1 Material | Critical Catch! (+18 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

Opening Fishing Treasure Chest | ID 218871 | LD 11+4=15

T4 Perfect Weapon 218871a
T4 Perfect Weapon 218871b
T4 Rare Weapon 218871c

+36 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"The particulars not much," Wulfrin replied returning to his gathering of materials. "I favor versatility. Typically I train with a longsword and use a combination of one and two handed strikes." Wulfrin slipped into a state reminiscence. The sounds of wooden training swords rang in his ears. Each impact striking true and being retaliated with a deflection. He was younger maybe 13. He regretted dropping the classes. Unfortunately as he got older the extra circular activity was practiced less and less. The style was one created by the teacher himself. Wulfrin was taught to move swiftly and unburdened to close the distance or when facing multiple opponents utilizing the momentum of his body for large sweeping arcs. Once close two handed strikes provided the majority of major blows. He returned to his task at hand. "Control the field and never back down. Let your fire burn the  brightest." Wulfrin recited. "I was taught swordplay to be like a dance. Agile and quick yet forceful and and driven." Wulfrin grabbed another handful of herbs. "Unfortunately I'm way out of practice. Guess I better learn quick." 

Wulfrin returned to his regular demeanor. His gaze fell back on the Town of Beginnings in the distance. "I'm thinking once I get this crafting lesson from Zachariah, I'll take up blacksmithing." 

ID: 218918 | LD 10+3 = 13 | Material Gathering (First Lessons). Material found (1).

"A good choice," Freyd replied, flicking his wrist to set fresh bait on his latest aquatic murder spree.  At least, that was how Quip tended to describe them when he unloaded all of the collected materials at the shop.  "I'm an appraiser, myself.  Being able to craft your own weapons and armor definitely has its perks.  And, while most players pick up a trade at some point, not all that many keep up with them.  You'll see plenty of shops scattered across this floating castle.  Few seem to have active keepers."

The line tensed as something poked at his bobber, causing the slightest creak as Freyd increased the firmness of his grasp.  

"Let me know if you ever find gear that needs identifying.  I'd be happy to help, and typically do so at cost.  Making a profit is hardly a worthwhile goal when all of our existences are on the line."  A dour grin set itself firmly on the man's features.  "There are also much better ways to collect materials than picking them from tree branches and finding them under rocks, but sometimes the systems simply imposes its will.  You'll be better off for having completed this quest, and the many others that follow it.  We can probably also carry you through a few of them to give you a leg up on leveling.  Combat tends to be unforgiving, at first."

Fishing ID 218919 | CD 7+1=8 | LD 1+1=2 | +1 Material (+10 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

+46 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"Honestly," Wulfrin sighed. "I'd like to take you up on that. For me I've always learned better by doing." Wulfrin continued his search for the requested materials. "But first things first, I have to wrap up with Dorian."  Internally he hoped the entire thing wasn't just a ruse and there really was a debt to be paid, but it just wasn't from Zachariah. "Also I agree on the crafting of one's own gear. "Sometimes it's just more convenient than trying to find that one NPC two towns over that can kit you out. Not to mention I'm pretty sure I read Player-made items tend to be on the higher end when compared to the ones made for NPC shops or monster drops." He looked at the shortsword attached to his waist. He made a mental checklist of items to look out for: some simple lightweight armor that wouldn't hamper his mobility and a longer and heavier sword, something he was more accustomed to. "I may be rusty," Wulfrin mumbled to himself. "But the muscle memory is still there, just needs refining and attention." He only had a couple more to grab before he could return for that crafting lesson.

ID: 218952 | LD: 17+3=20 | Material Gathering (first lesson). Material found (1)

"Meh," the fisherman snubbed, dismissing his companion's comments about being rusty.  "In here, your muscles are digital, just like the rest of... well... everything.  I've been a swordsman, a staff-wielder and a martial artist.  There's definitely value in practicing, but I wouldn't say that any of it was inherently carried over from the 'real' world."  Freyd's line went sailing casually through the air as he spoke, plunking into a swirling part of the brook by the far bank.

"My point is: be who you choose to be, and give yourself time to get there.  Progress rarely happens overnight.  It took me ages just to build up the nerve to poke my nose out of the Town of Beginning, and months more to learn what the heck I was doing.  A few weeks back, I was tanking my first raid boss, which is hilarious considering I've always been all about damage output."  A wistful smile curled the edges of his lips.  "You never know what life might throw your way, y'know?"

A honey bun materialized in his right hand, Freyd snarfing down a quarter of it in a single bite.  "You want one?  I've got a billion of these in my inventory.  Freya makes them - a friend and guildmate.  They're bloody addictive."  Chuckling between mouthfuls, Freyd was certain he'd carry the habit with him if they ever got out of Aincrad, and probably end up weighing three hundred pounds because of it.

"Some will boast otherwise, but the truth is that none of us can survive this place on our own.  Being as self-sufficient as you can?  Yeah.  I did that for a long time myself, and it will get you so far, but don't shy away from leaning on others and letting them lean on you.  It's our only hope of every truly beating Kayaba."

Judging by the bobbing bobber, the fish agreed.

Fishing ID 218953 | CD 12+1=13 | LD 9+1=10 | +1 Material | Critical Catch! (+18 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

Opening Fishing Treasure Chest | ID 218954 | LD 18+4=22

T4 Perfect Weapon 218954a
T4 Perfect Weapon 218954b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 218954c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 218954d
Random Dungeon Map 218954e

+64 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"I'll take one," Wulfrin snatched the bun out of it flight path. The taste was sweet and reminded him of home. "Hard to believe some people can think they have to solo this." He said as he finished off the snack before returning to his task at hand. Once again it seemed his hunting space had run dry. "I can definitely see what you mean about this being inefficient." Wulfrin sighed. "Even with the bonus, I'm still only hitting a few of these material drops." He looked deeper into the fields. "I cannot wait to be done with this." While waiting for the materials to repopulate he decided to train a bit. The system was almost to responsive, likely due to not having an actual body to move. it felt natural, like he had been doing it all his life. No effort. No strain. Just the sword slicing through air with little resistance. Definitely need to stop by those shops Freyd mentioned. With an upgrade I might stand a chance. He continued his brief exercise. It seemed his fighting style benefited from the lack of exertion, almost as if it could have been made for it.

He returned to the river bank once more where Freyd still idly waited for his prey.  "I hope you're having better luck than I am," Wulfrin said with a tinge of disgust as he eyed the bobber. It dipped rapidly below the surface. Was it mocking him?. "Note to self, pick up fishing to teach those fish who's boss."

ID: 218955 | LD: 7+3 = 10 | Material gathering (first lesson). Nothing found.

Sighing and laughing simultaneously, Freyd knew exactly how Wulfrin felt.

"Yeah.  I get why they were designed it this way, but these intro quests can be absolutely brutal.  This one's probably the worst, since there really isn't much you can do to circumvent the requirements.  I've probably helped dozens of players get through it, and it still feels brutal every time."  Pensive for a moment, Freyd seemed to be weighing options.  "There's another quest up on... floor five?"  It wasn't clear who he was meant to be asking, when something shifted beneath his clothes then slunk out like a syrup to ooze onto a nearby rock.  Initially shaped like a liquid stream of shadow, the thing soon coalesced into the form of a small marmot, or cat, or...

"She's a mongoose," Freyd filled in.  "Everyone tends to get it wrong.   A shadow mongoose, to be technically precise.  "Persi, here, is my familiar.  You'll get the chance to get one for yourself, eventually, though that's probably about the closest thing to the pain of this ordeal as you can get.  For whatever reason, they really don't make it easy."

A pair of burning blue azure eyes winked into existence as the small creature took on her loose form made from pure shadow.  Stretching in a very feline manner, she arched her back and shivered momentarily to slough of sleep, the darkness of her features shifting to reveal a celestial pattern of constellations within, only to fade again to black a moment later.  

"She eats field bosses, not players," Freyd joked.  "You should be mostly fine.  But, uh... floor five.  Right.  Persi's from there.  Desert floor.  Very hot.  But there's a mutant sand shark in the area that we could go after.  It would earn you a fairly significant level boost, and it's nowhere near as boring as playing peekaboo with a bunch of plants.  If we do that, you should be able to get that gear and handle more content on your own."

Fishing ID 218956 | CD 10+1=11 | LD 5+1=6 | +1 Material (+10 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

+74 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"You'd be willing to do that?" Wulfrin asked with a hint of suspicion. "I wouldn't want to hold you back form tackling other things though. I'm sure you've got other more pressing matters." Wulfrin continued his hunt for the elusive materials of floor 1. He managed to find another handful. The end was in sight as he only needed one more to move onto the next portion of the quest. "But if you are planning on taking me up to floor five to face off with that Sand Shark it may be in my best interest to at least stop by Knight Shift and Evening Star to see what I can pick up with the starter package." He continued to scrounge up what he could as the impatience began to settle in. "Wouldn't want you to completely carry me." That was only a half truth. That and to be prepared in case you turn on me. He thought remembering the advice Freyd had given him not but a few hours ago. He figured that since the cursor above Freyd was green he should have nothing to worry about but it still weighed heavy in the back of his mind.

The mongoose was definitely a strange creature. "So is there a benefit to having a familiar or are they purely cosmetic?" Wulfrin asked as he curiously inspected Persi. "Just wondering if it's worth it to go through more of this monotony."

ID: 218957 | LD: 12+3=15 | Material Gathering (first lesson). Material found (1).

"I have one very simple goal, though most people think I have more schemes than they have items on their grocery lists, just because of how I dress.  To be perfectly honest, I usually prefer to foster those assumptions and let their hang-ups paralyze them so that I never need to.  All the spoopy cloak and dagger stuff aside, we all need to get out of here and the clock is ticking.  Beyond the challenges of time, there is one very finite resource available to us in this game: ourselves.  Players, to state it more specifically.  We're non-renewable.  Every one of us we lose it one person less to help the rest."  Freyd cast his line once more, memory calling to its forefront the ever-growing list of names appearing on the monument at the heart of the nearby city.

"Call it enlightened self interest, if you prefer. Helping get players on their feet and up to competence isn't a chore; it's a necessity.  As much as I hate to say it, we need soldiers and each one we lose is virtually impossible to replace."  The harshness of Freyd's pragmatism weighed heavy in contrast to the pastoral landscapes and brilliant sunshine gleaming through the gentle meadow breeze.  It was easy to forget that they were all in a fight for their lives. "So, yeah.  I'm always willing, and have done so more times than I can count.  And I will continue until everyone gets out, or there are none of us left to try."

He nodded in agreement as Wulfrin suggested tending to his gear before facing actual foes.  It was a good plan.  Preparation often made the difference between a cake walk and near-death experience.  He was living proof of that so many times over.  

"Familiars are useful, but not crucial."  Persi splashed him in protest.  "Sorry, but it's true," he added, laughing.  "Persi's saved my butt more than a few times, but most aren't quite as critical in a pinch.  She and I are just well synced, I guess.  I'd wait a while and get your bearings first.  There are also some items that can also help ease that pain, when you finally feel ready to undertake that trek."

Fishing ID 218960 | CD 11+1=12 | LD 10+1=11 | +1 Material | Critical Catch! (+18 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

Opening Fishing Treasure Chest | ID 218961 | LD 17+4=21

T4 Perfect Weapon 218961a
T4 Perfect Weapon 218961b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 218961c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 218961d
Random Dungeon Map 218961e

+92 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"I can see where you are coming from," Wulfrin replied. He could respect someone just looking out for the little guys, even if it was somewhat from a mindset of self interest. "If I were in your shoes I'd probably do the same thing." He was focused on turning over all as many rocks and looking in as many burrows as he could. "Too many times I've seen players struggle in other games, but they just don't want to admit it." His thoughts began to wander again. Where would he go? What lies ahead? He shook himself back to reality. After roughly another thorough look he resigned himself to another break. "Another stroke of bad luck," Wulfrin sighed as the system denied him once again his material search. He mad his way back the river. It was peaceful as it had been the entirety of their trip. The bobber rose and fell as the river ran past. 

"So this Land Shark on floor five," Wulfrin had decided since the materials were refusing to help him out maybe he could look ahead. "By the sounds of it, you've faced it before. What should I be on the lookout for?" 

ID: 218975 | LD: 4+3=7 | Material Gathering (first lesson). Nothing Found

"Don't let it get to you," Freyd offered, as Wulfrin vented some frustration.  He absolutely hated this quest too, and marveled that it had never been improved or retired.  The entire exercise seemed designed to generate the sort of disinterested malaise that kept players from foraying into the world.  But then, maybe that was the point?  Cardinal was Kayaba's weapon and tool, and he clearly wasn't above using it to play psychological games against his lab rats.  "You'll be done this soon enough and we can get to kitting you out."  Content to patiently wait things out himself, he cast his line once more.

"I think it's actually called 'Terra Firma', or somesuch, which is kinda weird when you consider how fast and agile the thing is when swimming through sand.  You can think of it as a bulette, if you're familiar with the term.  Otherwise, 'giant gaping mouth with teeth that swims in sand like a shark in water' pretty much sums it up.  It's one of the nastiest critters you can find as a quest mob, and could probably give some field bosses a run for their money.  But, it does have one notable flaw: Terra Firma fixates on a single target.  If you have a decent tank along, who can withstand its attacks, it will never even touch the rest of the party."  Freyd beamed as he laid out his tactical analysis.  

"So, basically, I bitch slap it.  It tries to eat me.  We kill it and you get a whole heaping load of experience, and a goodly power boost to go with it.  I've probably done it a dozen times over by now.  It works like a charm and should get you a good way along to reach the second tier.  Life and content gets easier from there."

Fishing ID 218976 | CD 10+1=11 | LD 13+1=14 | +1 Material | Critical Catch! (+18 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

Opening Fishing Treasure Chest | ID 218977 | LD 11+4=16

T4 Perfect Weapon 218977a
T4 Perfect Weapon 218977b
T4 Rare Weapon 218977c

+110 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd

"A bulette was actually the first thing I thought of," Wulfrin replied. "From what I remember about them, they like to burrow around. Makes them tricky to pin down." He shrugged. He wasn't stoked about the thought of being eaten from below his feet, but Freyd's confidence somewhat reassured him. "I'd still like to get a taste of combat first." He assumed there might have been some opposition while gathering but was pleasantly surprised there wasn't. He stretched and returned to his feet. "Alright one final push to the end."

Another hour maybe two? Wulfrin lost track. he was determined to move on to greener pastures. One material was all he needed and he wasn't stopping until he got the last one. At last he found it, one final cluster of herbs to round out Zackariah. Finally, he said silently to himself with a fist bump. He snatched up the herbs and returned to Freyd at the bank.

"Alright, Fish Wrangler" Wulfrin announced with renewed vigor. "Reel in that line and lets get out of here before we both go insane. I was beginning to hear the fish laughing at me." Wulfrin bundled up the five materials into a neat little sack and the two began the walk back to town. 

ID: 218978 | LD: 16+3=19 | Material Gathering (First Lesson). Material Gathered (1)

Having reeled in nothing more either, Freyd dismissed his gear with the wave of a gloved hand then rolled sideways off his stone to stand.  Hands stuffed casually in his pockets, he followed Wulfrin back towards town, the sun making a race towards the end of its own daily journey overhead.

"You'll have a chance for combat in the second lesson, should you prefer to complete that as well.  It's not a bad idea, and entirely your choice.  Either way, your blade will be ineffective against Terra Firma until you learn more skills and build up your energy reserves.  That quest would be entirely a carry, but not without merit.  Tougher mobs are too resilient for most attacks to do much damage, unless powered by the most potent sword arts and the reserves needed to sustain their use in a fight.  There are many other options available."

As they passed through the city gates, Freyd paused a moment to whisper something to one of the tall, heavily armored guardian NPCs who kept watch.  The greatsword held in its hands, tip to ground, was longer than Freyd was tall.  More than a few orange-tagged players had learned  the hard way not to tangle with them.

"I'll see you around, Marv," Freyd called back to the guard, walking faster to catch up with his companion.  They NPC's facing and features had never changed, never acknowledged Freyd's presence in the slightest.  Only as they parted did the giant slowly lift an arm to cover his yawning mouth.  It was a pre-programmed movement made at random by every guardian to make them seem less static.  Freyd simply smiled and carried along the road towards Zackariah's.

Fishing ID 218979 | CD 1+1=2 | Failed (+5 EXP)
No Olympic Fishing Tool

+115 Fishing EXP this thread

Edited by Freyd