[PP-F18] Caravan Defense | <<The Poisonous Warg>>

Posted (edited)

"No worries, we can rest a while. We've been traveling all day anyways, so I wouldn't mind a break myself," Morningstar said, taking a seat upon a large fallen log. It was surprisingly dry, considering where they were. He thought it might have been the only dry thing in the swamp.

A mosquito buzzed around his ear, attempting to land on his neck for a nonconsensual blood-stealing session. He tried to smack it midair but missed completely, losing sight of it amidst their dark surroundings. The swamp was quiet but for the low croaking of frogs and the chirping of cicadas. If it were less humid, Morningstar might have enjoyed the environment more. It was not his cup of tea, though.

Morningstar took a look at Wulfrin. "What're your goals here?" He asked bluntly, curious to hear his answer. Most would say "the frontlines." Some might have a deeper interest in a craft or profession. Some just wanted to live whatever semblance of a normal life they could. There was a point to his question, although he was purposely vague in his delivery.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN
Recovery ID: 219996  CD: 5 | Failed
Morningstar regains 39 HP

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 16 EN): 16 - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 13 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219995| BD: 1 (crit failure) | MD: 2-6 = -4 (miss)

Morningstar | HP: 718/720 | EN: 74/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Mosquito | HP: 396/396 | DMG: 132

Edited by Morningstar

"The obvious answer is: to get back home," Wulfrin sighed as he took a seat next to Morningstar. "But that goal is really the same for all of us. Initially, I logged in to Sword Art Online for the prospects of living an entirely different life. TLDR, life was getting a bit rough, so I was wanting a change of pace. I've always used RPGs for that, but this one stood out as a completely new start in a new world." Wulfrin stifled a chuckle as Morningstar swatted fruitlessly at a mosquito that had started to pester him. "I did take your advice though. I've been trying to take it a bit slower. Right now I'm working towards a place of my own, but for now my small little shop on floor twenty-two serves the purpose. Honestly I don't know how it wasn't already nabbed by someone else. It may be small but that view of the lake is amazingly calming." Wulfrin lay his Blighted Fang in his lap. Running his hand along the scabbard in thought. 

"So how about you," Wulfrin asked, continuing the conversation. "What are your goals in here?"

+1 EN recovery (11/44)
post (1/3)

Posted (edited)

Morningstar nodded, listening to his answer. It was clear to him that Wulfrin had thought about the subject at least a little bit. He recalled the man mentioning his dream of owning a shop some time before, specifically on the twenty-second floor. He had not yet found the time to stop by and visit. When the question was directed back at him, Morningstar looked up, as if in thought.

What did he want? It was difficult to put it into words. "During the early days, I was living day to day, just trying to get by and cope with it all. And then, for one reason or another, I left the Town of Beginnings and never looked back. You meet people, you lose people, and things change."

His attention turned to the swamp, where alligators rested just beneath the top of the water, their brown-green scales poking out of the murky water. "I joined the frontlines on a whim. One day, I saw a flier for a raid meeting and showed up for the hell of it. Ended up signing onto a team of people I didn't really know, completely sporadically and with no experience. I've continued down that path ever since."

The mosquito landed on his hand and he smacked it with extreme speed. "I think I just want balance, now—some sort of healthy mix between the frontlines and a home life. And I want to explore. I guess I've always wanted that. To see the ends of each floor and everything in between sounds like a nice dream," he chuckled.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN
Recovery ID: 219997  CD: 6 | Failed
Morningstar regains 39 HP

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 16 EN): 16 - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 13 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219998| BD: 8 | DMG: 26*16=416 | BLEED PROC | FROSBITE PROC | STUN PROC

Morningstar | HP: 718/720 | EN: 74/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Mosquito | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132

Looting:

ID: 219999 LD: 10+6=16 CD: 5
(3*396)+(2*396)=1,980 col
2 materials
T4 Rare Consumable 219999a
T4 Rare Armor/Shield 219999b

Edited by Morningstar

"It's a nice dream," Wulfrin affirmed with a chuckle along with Morningstar. "I think I would have been the same way had this whole death game scenario not be playing out. The fear of permanent death kinda deters me from going too far off the paths."

Wulfrin laced his fingers together over his blade.  His thoughts fell to a darker place. "I guess I'm hesitant to take it too slow," Wulfrin said in a sullen tone. "Our minds may be threatened by the game. HP hits zero and that's it, but what about our physical bodies. Right now they lay without movement or ability to obtain nutrients. Eventually those fragile vessels will give out. After all we can only survive so long on fluids from a bag."

Wulfrin realized the conversation was going to a darker place than it probably should, so he decided to change the subject. "Let's talk adventures," He immediately snapped to a more cheerful tone. "What's the wildest quest you've gone on?"

Energy Recovery: +1 EN (12/44)
Post (2/3)

Posted (edited)

Morningstar, like just about everyone else, had thought about his physical body outside of the game. It had held out this long, so he had hope that it could survive a few more years.

"Wildest quest... That's a good question, and difficult to answer, I'll add," he pondered his many adventures over the years. "Well, the last boss fight was also my first. It was a huge dragon with like, five heads or something. Set us on fire at one point. And then there was "The Traveler," a brutal quest on the fifth floor that has you walking through the desert... The Forgotten Time King almost killed me once... Oh, yeah, I took on a bounty to take down some player killer a while back."

"Most recently, I spent a few days in the rough mountains on floor two. They were... well, rough."

He held out the same question for Wulfrin, although he realized that the man likely had fewer tales to tell. "What about you?"

EN Recovery (1/2)

Spoiler

Rolling for treasure chest

ID: 220008 LD: 2+6=8

nothing.

Edited by Morningstar

"Considering how few I've been on," Wulfrin said contemplating the question. "Freyd's patented Shark Bait Training Program. It was my first proper boss fight, if you could call it that. It was more of a watch Freyd two shot it and reap the rewards. Abdullah sent some goons after us, since Freyd was a bit disrespectful. That whole Bloodstained Land quest served as the spark that lit my determination to see if I can find his lair in a dungeon on floor 5. I want to show that pretentious prick that you can't treat people like that and expect them to support your reign."

Wulfrin's energy finished replenishing as he described the events of his wildest quest. With a renewed vigor, he prepared to leave and hunt some more beasties. "I'm ready when you are. It was your quest so I'll leave it up to you if we continue or head back. I'm cool either way."

Energy Recovery: Full (44/44)
Post (3/3)

"Yeah, that'll happen a lot with Freyd around. No complaints from me," Morningstar admitted. He had seen the Whisper take down dungeon bosses with little effort. The man had earned his respect even before deciding to play tank against Wushen. He laughed. "I meant the two-shotting but now that I think about it, the disrespect is pretty consistent too."

Energized and ready to jump back into the fight, Morningstar stood from his seat upon the log. "Ok, might as well fight a little bit more while we're out here. It's not every day you find yourself in a swamp like this. I'd hope not, anyway."

He thought for a moment, staring down the field boss in the distance. "If we're really careful, I can maintain the Prowler's aggro. If I stun it and you drag it out of the water, it'll be significantly easier to take down. It'll try to drag me back in, so if it does and things are looking rough just try to like... teleport or something. I'm really good at holding my breath," he lied.

"Only if you're down, of course."

EN Recover (2/2) - 110/110
Consumes Matriarch's Stinger - +1 to SA Multiplier for 1 thread.

"I don't know about taking on The Prowler," Wulfrin replied concerned. "I'm worried my damage output might not be enough. You'd have to be dealing damage and drawing aggro. Maybe I can focus stunning him with a Sword Art, but that might be the most I can do. That's also assuming I can even survive an attack should he hit me, but I guess that's the best I can hope for when my level is lower than the floor I'm on."

For a good moment Wulfrin pondered his chances of survival with a field boss. Perhaps if he had a couple more levels or even a maxed out armor and weapon skill, he might be able to provide some help in the fight, but now he wasn't so sure. Wolves and Alligators were one thing, but that beast was more akin to a carnivorous dinosaur from a museum. "Personally, I feel we have less of a chance at death facing off with random mobs," Wulfrin added his case. "If you feel you can pick up a lot more slack, then I suppose we could attempt. I have a crystal on standby at all times, so if it gets hairy I have an out." Wulfrin pulled the small blue crystal cube from a pocket inside the right side of his coat. That was the easiest place to reach in combat, as his left hand was usually free to manipulate items unless he was two handing his blade for power.

Posted (edited)

Morningstar shrugged. "I'm indifferent. I can always come back for him another day. Best to keep you in your comfort zone, I think."

Spotting another group of gators, Morningstar dashed forwards. He abused the same trick as before, stunning the entirety of the platoon, before backing up a distance from the waterside. Wulfrin could have the kills, he decided. The blonde understood well enough how valuable loot was at an early level. Besides, picking up kills would boost his confidence, even if they were on weakened opponents. It had done the trick for him, and it would do the same for many to come. He thought that he had lowered their health bars enough for Wulfrin to one-shot each of them, but the man's capabilities were still a bit unclear. Morningstar watched from the sidelines, pondering an idea that had been on his mind for some time.

"All you, boss."

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-F (x12+1, 19 EN): - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 16 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 220037 | BD: 3+4=7 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 1 | STUN PROC
ID: 220037 | BD: 5+4=9 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 2 | STUN PROC
ID: 220037 | BD: 9 (crit +1) | DMG: (26+1)*(12+1)=351 to Shallows Prowler 3 | BLEED PROC | FROSTBITE PROC | STUN PROC
ID: 220037 | BD: 4+4=8 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 4 | STUN PROC

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 94/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4
Wulfrin | HP: 260/260 | EN: 44/44 | DMG 12 | MIT 44 | ACC 3 | REC 1 | LD 3 | Stealth -2 | Stealth Detection +2

Shallows Prowler 1 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)
Shallows Prowler 2 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)
Shallows Prowler 3 | HP: 41/396 | DMG: 132 | ACC: -1 | BLEED: 48 (0/3) | FROSTBITE: 40 (0/2) STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)
Shallows Prowler 4 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)

Edited by Morningstar

"Look," Wulfrin said with a sigh as the duo returned to hunting in the swamp. "I'm not completely against the idea. I'm just trying to think ahead. Ballparking my damage, I'd probably only do like five points worth to its HP bar which I'm guessing to be well above one thousand if not more after it's mitigation kicked in. That's not to mention how much damage it could dish out should you lose agro." Wulfrin felt terrible turning down Morningstar's proposal. He had looked excited to take on the field boss, but Wulfrin's fear about his numbers not being high enough had taken the wind out of his sails.

Morningstar had located another group of for prowlers. With a beautiful display of strikes, Morningstar had lined up the Shallows Prowlers up for Wulfrin to finish them off.

"All you, boss," Morningstar stated. He appeared to be deep in thought.

Wulfrin drew Blighted Fang and rushed the four gators with precision. He was definitely getting back in the flow of attacks, using his momentum to move form target to target. His blade dance was as smooth and fluid, like he had been at this for years, his sword an extension of his own body. At the end of the strike a blue rectangle shot out from the now clustered gators before they shattered into a shower of polygons. An info panel appeared before Wulfrin detailing the items on the gators he had felled.

"I'm not opposed to splitting the drops," Wulfrin said. "I know you said you were strapped for both materials and col, so if you want part of the spoils I have no qualms with it. Consider it thanks for bringing me along." Wulfrin closed the panel and sheathed his blade. "Shall we continue?"

Spoiler

Post Action | AoE-I (17 EN):
Free Action | None

ID: 220038 | BD: 3 + 3 = 6  | DMG: 12 * 9 = 108 to Shallows Prowler 1 | Keen Proc +1 to BD
ID: 220039 | BD: 6 + 1 + 3 = 10 | DMG: 12 * 9 = 108  to Shallows Prowler 2 | Keen Proc +1 to BD
ID: 220040 | BD: 7 + 1 + 3 = 11 | DMG: 12 * 9 = 108  to Shallows Prowler 3 | Keen Proc +1 to BD
ID: 220041 | BD: 8 + 1 + 3 = 12  | DMG: 12 * 9 = 108 to Shallows Prowler 4 | Keen Proc +1 to BD

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 94/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4
Wulfrin | HP: 260/260 | EN: 37/44 | DMG 12 | MIT 44 | ACC 3 | REC 1 | LD 3 | Stealth -2 | Stealth Detection +2

Shallows Prowler 1 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) Dead (58 - 108)
Shallows Prowler 2 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) Dead (58 - 108
Shallows Prowler 3 | HP: 41/396 | DMG: 132 | ACC: -1 | BLEED: 48 (0/3) | FROSTBITE: 40 (0/2) STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) Dead (41 - 108)
Shallows Prowler 4 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) Dead (58 - 108)

Loot Rolls:

Spoiler

Shallows Prowler 1
ID: 220042 | CD 12 | LD 4 + 2 = 6
Col: 1,188 + 792 (CD even) + 792 (LD even) + 396 (CD 12) = 3,168 col
Mats: none
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220042

Shallows Prowler 2
ID: 220043 | CD 8 | LD 7 + 2 = 9
Col: 1,188 + 792 (CD even) + 396 (CD 8) = 2,376 col
Mats: +2 (LD odd)
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220043

Shallows Prowler 3
ID: 220044 | CD 8 | LD 3 + 2 = 5
Col: 1,188 + 792 (CD even) = 1,980 col

Shallows Prowler 4
ID: 220045 | CD 4 | LD 11 + 2 =13
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220045

Edited by Wulfrin
Posted (edited)

"Fair concerns," Morningstar replied. "While I'm confident that I wouldn't lose aggro, my plan's not foolproof. If I did get dragged under and you weren't in a position to stun, or if it were in the middle of stun immunity, it's not impossible that it would go after you while I was out of commission. Maybe it's a 1% chance, but when you need it most that 99% is sure to fail you, in my experience. So, you're probably right. Besides, it's not like there aren't lots of these little guys around," he said, tapping a sleeping alligator with his blade. It awoke, trashing at him until his stun disabled it.

Three more lunged at him from the water, all of which receiving the same treatment as the first. Once again, it was setup perfectly for Wulfrin to pick up the last hits. "Nah, my rule is that if you get the last hit, you get the loot. I may be an extremely unprofitable business owner but I still have dungeons to rake in the big bucks."

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN

Post Action | TECH-F (x12+1, 19 EN): - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 16 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 220047 | BD: 3+4=7 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 1 | STUN PROC
ID: 220048 | BD: 5+4=9 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 2 | STUN PROC
ID: 220049 | BD: 2+4=6 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 3 | STUN PROC
ID: 220050 | BD: 2+4=6 | DMG: 26*(12+1)=338 to Shallows Prowler 4 | STUN PROC

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 85/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4
Wulfrin | HP: 260/260 | EN: 37/44 | DMG 12 | MIT 44 | ACC 3 | REC 1 | LD 3 | Stealth -2 | Stealth Detection +2

Shallows Prowler 2 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)
Shallows Prowler 3 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)
Shallows Prowler 4 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3)

Edited by Morningstar

After hearing Morningstar's looting rule, Wulfrin got an idea. As he followed in Morningstar's lead and attacked the newly found Shallows Prowlers, Wulfrin executed his sword skill. As he moved to attack the first alligator, he aimed a bit higher, causing the attack to miss. He couldn't take all the kills could he? He used the extra momentum to strike the second prowler with tremendous force and carry the momentum to the remaining two targets. This time the square did not appear as the skill did not complete all the strikes, but there were three gators that shattered into an array of polygons.

"There you go partner," Wulfrin said to his companion. "Left one for ya. No reason for you to go empty handed." Wulfrin return his blade to its scabbard as he moved aside for Morningstar to finish off the poor beast. The prowler snarled as its stunned condition faded.

Spoiler

Recovery: ID 220056 | CD: 12 | +2 EN
Wulfrin regains 4 EN

Post Action | AoE-1 (x9, 17 EN):
Free Action | None

ID: 220052 | BD: 2 + 3 = 5  miss
ID: 220053 | BD: 10 (+2 DMG) | DMG: 16 * 9 = 144 to Shallows Prowler 2 | Keen Proc | Blight Proc
ID: 220054 | BD: 3 + 3 + 1 = 7 | DMG: 12 * 9 = 108  to Shallows Prowler 3 | Keen Proc
ID: 220055 | BD: 4 + 3 + 1 = 8 | DMG:  12 * 9 = 108 to Shallows Prowler 4 | Keen Proc

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 85/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 5 (6) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4
Wulfrin | HP: 260/260 | EN: 31/44 | DMG 12 | MIT 44 | ACC 3 | REC 1 | LD 3 | Stealth -2 | Stealth Detection +2

Shallows Prowler 2 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) (58 - 144) dead
Shallows Prowler 3 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) (58 -108) dead
Shallows Prowler 4 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED | StunImm[P] (0/3) (58 - 108) dead

Prowler 1 is stunned

(1,0)Shallows Prowler 1 | HP: 58/396 | DMG: 132 |  StunImm[P] (1/3)

Loot Rolls

Spoiler

Shallows Prowler 2
ID: 220057 | CD 4 | LD 3 + 2 = 5

Shallows Prowler 3
ID: 220058 | CD 4 | LD 8 + 2 = 10
Col: 1,188 + 792 (CD even) + 792 (LD even) = 2772 col
Mats: none
T4 Uncommon Consumable | ID 220058

Shallows Prowler 4
ID: 220059 | CD 11 | LD 7 + 2 =13
Col: 1,188 + 792 (CD 11) = 1,980 col
Mats: +4 (CD and LD odd)
T4 Rare Armor/Shield | ID: 220059

Edited by Wulfrin
Posted (edited)

Morningstar smiled. "Alright then, if you insist."

He evaded the snapping jaw of the shallows prowler, stuck his sword into its back and watched as the loot rolled in. "You're kind of a natural. You'll be a beast with some levels on you," he told the red-coated swordsman. "Listen, I've got a project that I'm working on but it's still a few weeks away from being a real proposition. I called you out here today out of personal interest, admittedly; I think you'd be suited to what I have in mind, but I needed to make sure. I can't really be any less vague at the moment," he chuckled.

"In the meantime, I'm stopping by the market while we're here. Need to see if I can replace this thing," he stuck a finger through one of the many holes in his coat. "Tag along, if you'd like."

And then, he went on his way.

Spoiler

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 - (Well Rested (2/3); Stamina) = 9 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 220062 | BD: 5 + 4 = 9 | 26*13=338 dmg

Wulfrin | HP: 260/260 | EN: 31/44 | DMG 12 | MIT 44 | ACC 3 | REC 1 | LD 3 | Stealth -2 | Stealth Detection +2

Shallows Prowler 1 | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | StunImm[P] (1/3)

Looting:
Activating Multipurpose: +1 LD
Activating Magdalyn's Cuckoo: +3 LD

ID: 220063 LD: 4+6+1+3=14 CD: 10

(396*3)+(3*(396*2)=3,564 col
T4 Rare Armor/Shield 220063

Morningstar receives:

2,850 EXP (Word Count [6715/10*5*0.7] + Quest [500])
8,171 col (1 page [200] + Loot [5,544] + Quest [2,000] + 15% P5 Reward [427])
4 Materials (Loot [4])
Bizarre Antidote [Quest Reward]
T4 Rare Consumable 219999a
T4 Rare Armor/Shield 219999b
T4 Rare Armor/Shield 220063

Wulfrin receives:

1,440 EXP (Word Count [6715/10*2*0.7] + Quest [500])
27,148 col (1 page [200] + Loot [24,948] + Quest [2,000])
18 Materials (Loot [18])
Bizarre Antidote [Quest Reward]
T4 Uncommon Consumable | ID 220058
T4 Rare Armor/Shield | ID: 220059
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220042
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220043
T4 Rare Trinket | ID: 220045
T4 Uncommon Consumable | ID 219983
T4 Rare Weapon | ID 219984a

T4 Uncommon Consumable | ID 219984b
T4 Rare Consumable | ID 219986a

T4 Rare Weapon | ID 219986b