[PP-F1] Starting A Small Business: Part I | <<Earning a Living>>

Quest

The Central Bank of Aincrad: a hub for all things related to money.

Located near the heart of the Town of Beginnings, the great white building stood as a symbol of security and reliability to its patrons, which included every soul currently roaming the floors of Aincrad. It was packed throughout the day, opening in the morning and closing in the early afternoon. It's NPC staff members worked tirelessly to support players in their financial endeavors. From everyday banking to purchasing your first house, they had the tools for you.

"Next!" A teller called while she scribbled something down on a piece of blank paper. She looked up, realizing nobody had approached the counter, and brushed a strand of chestnut hair away from her eye. The line was still long, and yet no one came forth. "Next?" she said again, this time with a hint of hesitance.

Barely audible grunts came from below the counter. The players in line all looked down at the teller's blind spot, their faces plastered with curiosity, confusion, and general sorrow. With a raised eyebrow, she peeked over the till. On the other side, closer to the floor than to her, was a disgruntled old man hopping up and down, trying to reach the till with his finger tips and failing miserably each time.

"Hello, sir."

The old man glanced up, straightening out his clothing upon realizing he had spectators. "Ah, yes—hello," he said, clearing his throat. "I'd like to take out a loan."

Spoiler

Kingsley
Level: 1
Paragon Level: 0
HP: 20/20
EN: 20/20

Stats:
Damage: 2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: N/A
Armor: N/A
Misc: N/A

Skills:
Polearm R1

Edited by Kingsley

"This is exactly what I'm looking for," Morningstar grinned, eying a flier posted on a bulletin board.

A dragon had been sighted near Horunka, terrorizing anyone who entered its territory. Players and villagers alike were too afraid to leave the settlement and were worried that it might grow discontent with the size of its home and look to expand further into Horunka's borders. Someone had put out a call for help, requesting a player of suitable strength and experience to take down the dragon and save their hometown. A sum of col was listed at the bottom of the page as a reward, which Morningstar hardly cared for, considering it was less than a single appraisal would cost him. He was happy to do it at no fee whatsoever, half for the honor of saving a village and half for the glory of slaying a dragon.

He picked up the page and went on his way, in need of supplies for the journey to Horunka.

jGiiWFK.png

[ lv. 50  ->   l. 33 / p. 17 ]
MORNINGSTAR | HP: 720/720 | EN: 110/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Hide contents

notes.

Hide contents

equipped

• bleeding giant
    BLD II, FB II
  • red longcoat
    EVA II, REC I
  • sapphire
    ACC III, EVA I

battle-ready inventory

• teleport crystal x5
  • magadalyn's cuckoo

skills.

Hide contents

mod count: 3/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • precision, stamina, ferocity
    • shift: tech
  • CLOTH ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • athletics, nimble
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 4/5 (5)
    • night vision, detect
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 5/5
  • ENERGIST
  • CHARGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. FORGOTTEN KING'S AUTHORITY
  3. LADY LUCK
  4. DISGUISE

buffs.

Hide contents

statue

• n/a

consumables 

• liquor of light | dmg III
  • gelato | ld III
  • mousse | prosperity III

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD

arts.

Hide contents

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x11 -> x14
  • TECH-A | x16 | STUN
  • TECH-B | x16 | DELAY | 15 EN
  • TECH-D | x16 | SHATTER | 15 EN
  • TECH-F | x12 | AOE STUN | 11 EN

misc.

Hide contents
  • Well Rested | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
  • Squeaky Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down).
  • Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30.
  • Tasty | Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread.
  • Relaxed | Increases out-of-combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • Multipurpose | Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Skylight (Searching) | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. 

gathering

• n/a

Edited by Morningstar

"What do you mean I don't qualify for a loan?!"

"It's your credit, sir—I'm afraid you have none."

The old man stomped away, grumbling something about "kids these days." He fled the Central Bank of Aincrad in a bout of frustration, running new schemes and plans through his business savvy mind. If the bank would not give him the money for a shop, then he would have to do something about it himself. He marched up to the nearest alchemy store and racked on the wooden door, giving zero time before barging inside.

"I'd like to apply for an apprenticeship!" He announced, immediately grabbing the shopkeeper's attention. She was a beautiful young woman with hair as dark as the night sky and eyes as bright as stars. She was in the middle of mixing some concoction of unknown herbs and liquids; potion making, he thought it might be called.

"Oh hi! No need to apply! I'll teach anyone who walks through my doors," the alchemist beamed. "My name is Evangeline. And you are?"

"Potion Seller! I'm in need of your strongest potions!" Morningstar burst through the door to Evangeline's shop, the flier in one hand and a bag full of col in the other.

The alchemist gawked at his sudden entrance, and then smiled politely. "I'm sorry, but you couldn't handle my strongest potions."

Morningstar raised a brow. "I'm not sure you understand. I'm going into battle and I want only your strongest potions."

"My potions would kill a dragon, traveler. You cannot handle my potions." Evangeline said frankly.

Morningstar, intent on arguing, thought for a moment. "Actually, that sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm hunting a dragon, you see."

Evangeline laughed. "Oh! Well, why didn't you say so? I'll be right back," she skipped into the back cheerfully.

"Hey, you."

Morningstar looked around, wondering if the voice had been real or his imagination. There did not appear to be anyone else in the room with him. He peeked into the back, thinking that Evangeline might have called him. She was busy digging through a cupboard full of elixirs and salves.

"Down here, idiot."

He met the eyes of a short old man, arms crossed and scowling. "I believe I was in line before you," the old man stated.

Morningstar tilted his head. "Would it be rude if I said that I didn't see you down there?"

"Yes, entirely."

Offers Kingsley 1 Gelato | LD III

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

"Well, I didn't," Morningstar said plainly.

Evangeline returned from her storage room, a large glass bottle full of bubbling green liquid. She placed it on the counter, unscrewing the cap and dropping a rose into the potion. Before it could even touch the liquid, it vanished with a puff of fire and smoke. She wafted the burning scent away with her hand and closed it up. "This is called Eartheater. Don't drink it. 4,000 col, please."

While Morningstar paid up, Evangeline spoke with the old man. "Like I said, I'm happy to teach you alchemy. Unfortunately, my stock has gotten a little bit low. If you could pick up some supplies for me, I'll show you everything I know!"

"Hmm... very well," Kingsley nudged the blonde man, who was eying the bright green liquid curiously. "Let's get started, then. Time's a wasting."

"Woah—hold on," the container dissolved into Morningstar's inventory. "What do you mean by "let's?" I'm preoccupied, remember? Going into battle? Strongest potion? That whole bit?"

A short walking stick appeared in his grip. "Nonsense. It's a young man's job to help his elders. Now come along," he whacked Morningstar in the leg.

"Ow!" He yelped, looking back at the giggling Evangeline as he followed along.

Consumes 1 Gelato | LD III

Edited by Kingsley

The old man was fast despite his age, height, and walking stick. Morningstar trotted along behind him, perplexed by how he had been looped into the quest. A dragon terrorized the northwest and there he was, stuck running errands with someone else's grandfather.

"No offense, but aren't you a little old to be playing a game like this?"

"You're damn right I am. But, what can you do. Even at seventy-seven years old, I can't take a break. Or was it seventy-two...?"

"I'm Star, by the way," Morningstar's introduction was immediately cut off.

"Yeah, yeah, I know who you are," the old man said. "You're that actor kid that my grandkids obsess over. Simon Star... or Sawyer Star..."

"Stephen Star," Morningstar corrected.

"Sure. The name's Wax," the old man said. "Waxton Kingsley, founder of Kingsley Slate Company."

"Good to meet you, Waxton Kingsley, founder of Kingsley Slate Company."

The road took them to the edge of town, out the gate, and past the invisible line that marked the safe zone. The rolling fields outside the walls of the Town of Beginnings stretched as far as they eye could see, littered with weak boars and the few players that hunted them. Kingsley strolled into the plains without any hesitation, which made Morningstar question his state of mind, considering the old man did not carry a proper weapon nor the experience to defend himself. Morningstar was thrown into the position of defender while Kingsley scanned for potion making materials.

Posted (edited)

"Here's the deal, kid," Kingsley pointed in the general direction of the boars with his walking stick. "I've got ingredients to look for but I can't have those suckers gettin' in my way. I'll need you to keep them off my back while I look around."

"Alrighty, then. What're you looking for exactly?" Morningstar asked, unfamiliar with the art of alchemy.

"Leaves, herbs, berries, and such. Things that I can brew."

"Fair enough."

They paused their walk near a bush, where Kingsley decided to dig around for materials. On his hands and knees, he sifted through branches and prickles, looking for things he could use. There were berries on the bush, but the old man shook his head.

"No good," he said, squishing a dark red berry between his fingers and wiping the juice off on a leaf. "Inedible."

"How can you tell?"

"Just a hunch. Never seen 'em in my life." He pocketed some anyway, keeping them safe in an unlabeled container.

Spoiler

Gathering (1/5) | Material found on LD 15+

ID: 220193 LD: 16+3=19

Edited by Kingsley
edited due to incorrect roll. used wrong character name.

Morningstar knew better than to argue with hunches, especially when they came from wise, experienced old hobbits like Waxton Kingsley. A boar charged straight in their direction; however, the old man was not worried. He continued shifting through the bush, ignoring the beast's assault. Morningstar shrugged, ripping through the boar with a single swipe of his blade. It was almost like a simple quest for a local NPC, although (in spite of how the man looked) he was working for a real person. It was a win-win, really, considering that Morningstar was receiving loot in the process. He only hoped that the village of Horunka was not being burned alive by a ferocious dragon while he killed a dozen of nearly-harmless pigs.

"Anything in the bush?" Morningstar asked, curious as to why the man had not moved on after deciding that the berries were worthless.

"No," the old man said bluntly.

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-B (x16, 15 EN): 15 EN - (Well Rested (3/3); Stamina) = 12 EN
Free Action | None

ID220190 | BD: 2+4=6 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Boar

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 98/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Boar | HP: 0/416 | DMG: 132

Looting:
ID: 220191 | LD: 15+9=24 | CD: 8
(416*6)+(2*(416*2))= 4,160 col
2 materials
T4 Perfect Weapon 220191a
T4 Perfect Weapon 220191b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220191c

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

4,160 col
2 materials

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

With a strained sound, he picked himself up off the ground and smacked Morningstar across the leg with his cane. "Off we go. Lots more of these to check," Kingsley said in response to the blonde's surprised yelp.

The next bush was a dud; there were no berries nor consumable leaves anywhere to be seen. He thought, for a moment, that he could get away with bringing a few of the bush leaves but decided that if he were asked to craft with them that he would feel rightly embarrassed.

"So, why alchemy?" asked Morningstar.

"The world needs alchemists, does it not?" Kingsley answered.

"Sure, I guess," Morningstar replied, unsatisfied with the answer.

Another boar approached them, this time more hesitantly. It must have seen what the blonde had done to its predecessor. It stared at the pair for a moment, until deciding at random to attack head on. Morningstar stepped in front of the old man defensively, blocking the attack and cutting through the boar like butter.

"Good on ya," Kingsley said, moving along.

Spoiler

ID: 220194 LD: 11+3=14

Edited by Kingsley

The old man was strange, but not completely unpleasant company. Morningstar was primarily confused as to why he was there in the first place. What had brought a man in his early to mid seventies to Sword Art Online? He supposed it was not impossible that he was simply an elderly gamer. It made sense that there would be a few hanging around Aincrad, purely statistically.

"Do you have kids? Grandkids?"

"Yes, lots."

"Are they here with you?"

"No, just me."

"You a big virtual reality fan or something?"

"Virtu-what now?"

"Never mind."

They walked in silence for a while. Morningstar thought up theories of who the old man might have been before the new world and what his deal was. Kingsley was focused on the task at hand, sometimes the thought of a nice cold drink wandering into the mix.

"Any thoughts on where you'll open up shop?"

"Mmm. Good question. Wherever business is booming, I think. The Town of Beginnings has a rather busy market; although, perhaps there's too much competition," the old man chuckled. "Where would you suggest?"

"My shop's located in the middle of the forest. Wouldn't recommend it if customers are what you're hoping for."

Kingsley laughed again. "No, I should think not."

"Taft isn't as big as the Town of Beginnings, but still a decent choice. Or maybe Glyndebourne, if you like the 'autumn country' theme."

Spoiler

ID220202 | CD: 1 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220200 | BD: 9 (crit +1) | 27*16=432 DMG to Boar | BLEED PROC | FROSTBITE PROC

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 84/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Boar | HP: 0/416 | DMG: 132

Looting:
ID: 220201 | LD: 18+9=27 | CD: 3
(416*6)+(2*(416*2))= 4,160 col
2 materials
T4 Perfect Consumable 220201a
T4 Perfect Consumable 220201b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220201c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220201d

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

8,320 col
4 materials

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

"Perhaps. I can't say I've ever been to either," Kingsley admitted.

"Really? How far up the floors have you been?" Morningstar looked surprised. Even players of the lowest level eventually got bored of the Town of Beginnings and traveled to the higher cities. They were all safe, after all.

"Floor six. Although, I rarely go above four. I don't love the heat and my relationship with the people of Krycim is rocky at best," another laugh escaped his withered lips.

Six floors was not very far at all. "You're missing out—Yomi, on floor ten, is a sight worth seeing. And floor twenty-two is beautiful in general. You should go sometime."

Kingsley made a huffing sound, seriously considering Morningstar's idea. For someone who had done so much traveling in his life, he had seen very little of the virtual world. A smile crept across his face. "Maybe I will then!"

Spoiler

ID: 220203 LD: 9+3=12

Edited by Kingsley

Morningstar took down another boar, his third one of the day, while Kingsley eyed a patch of floors. He could hear the old man muttering to himself about what kind they might have been. Either they were poisonous or incredibly tasty when brewed into tea; Morningstar would have avoided them altogether. 

"I think I've seen these before. If I'm correct, they might be Blue September's, a species native to this world... If I'm not... well, what the heck!"

The old man plucked a few flowers, hiding them away in another unnamed container. He seemed to have a million of them in his inventory, prepared to fill them with whatever random ingredients he discovered along the way. So far he had found two potentially poisonous items and nothing that was guaranteed to be edible. His track record was not great and Morningstar was not looking forward to tasting the potions he would craft.

Spoiler

ID220204 | CD: 5 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220205 | BD: 3+4=7 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Boar

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 72/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Looting:
ID: 220206 | LD: 20+9=29 | CD: 4
(416*6)+(3*(416*2))= 4,992 col
T4 Perfect Consumable 220206a
T4 Perfect Consumable 220206b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220206c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220206d

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

13,312 col
4 materials

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

Kingsley finished picking the flowers he had dubbed as "Potentially Blue Septembers," which he scribbled on the container's label with a pen that had magically appeared in his hand.

He tossed them away in his inventory, continuing through the never ending plains while Morningstar kept a lookout for oncoming boars. He warned Kingsley that if they wandered too close to the forest, they would have to deal with wolves as well, but also ensured him that he could keep him safe regardless. The wolves, as the blonde put it, were not much scarier than the boars.

"Very good. If we have time, there's a plant monster I'd like you to take down for me. What's it called? A neptune?"

"Do you mean a nepent?" Morningstar asked.

"That's the one. You know, you're mighty efficient with that sword of yours. Would you consider working for me full time?"

"I doubt it, gramps. I'm a busy guy. But for a potion or two, maybe I'll make some time for you," Morningstar said kindly.

"How's about we work out a deal when we're back in town," Kingsly chuckled.

Spoiler

ID: 220207 LD: 11+3=14

Edited by Kingsley

Another boar came charging their way at a consistent speed, one that Morningstar had become more than accustomed to. He could predict the pattern of its movements, anticipate when it would try to ram him, and out speed it every single time. His hits were always instant kills on the beasts, which made his and Kingsley's lives much easier.

The temperature of the first floor was always pleasant, Morningstar had noticed. Even on the days that it rained, he never found it overly unbearable or uncomfortable. It was always just okay. The wind was there, but not too cold. The sun was never too hot. Perhaps that was what drew so many players to stay within the confines of the Town of Beginnings. It's only real downside was it's noise, which was plentiful to say the least.

Morningstar believed that it was in a person's best interest to move around a little. How can you really know what types of places you like if you have not been to a few, at least. The only floor that everyone he had met could agree on disliking was the fifth floor, a hot desert that felt uninhabitable to him. It was no wonder Kingsley avoided it like the plague.

Spoiler

ID220207 | CD: 6 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220210 | BD: 3+4=7 (hit) | 26*16=448 DMG to Boar

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 60/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Looting:
ID: 220211 | LD: 12+9=21 | CD: 6
(416*6)+(3*(416*2))= 4,992 col
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220211a
T4 Perfect Consumable 220211b
T4 Perfect Consumable 220211c

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

18,304 col
4 materials

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

Kingsley knelt down on the ground. Something extremely valuable had stumbled across his line of sight. "The white rhinoceros beetle. I've heard of them before, but never in my life would I have thought to look for them on this floor. Extremely rare and useful little creatures," Kingsley said. Its armored shell was pure white and its horn longer than the average beetle's. Neither of the two had ever seen one in the flesh.

"What are they used for?" Morningstar asked, perplexed but curious.

"Tea," Kingsley explained succinctly. With the end of his walking stick, he crushed the insect. "It's the blood that you want. It tastes ghastly but has medicinal purposes. Oh, how exciting!" He scooped up the beetle carefully and slid it into a smaller container. This little metal box had a title already written on it: "Rare Insects." While he thought it strange, Morningstar refrained from asking about what else was inside.

Spoiler

Gathering (2/5) | Material found on LD 15+

ID: 220212 LD: 16+3=19

Edited by Kingsley

"Here's to many more exciting discoveries," Kingsley heartily rose his insect container, a grin wide across his face.

Morningstar was half-interested in seeing what the old fellow would come up with in Evangeline's shop. Not that he was any more curious about what his potions would taste like, of course. Poisonous berries and rhinoceros beetle juice did not stimulate his senses.

"I have to say," Kingsley looked up at the blonde, "I've gathered from my grandchildren that you're quite the celebrity. Does walking around in the open like this not get you into trouble?"

Morningstar shrugged, unsure of what to say. "I don't get recognized much anymore. I did a little bit, at the start. Slowly, I think people just forget, which has worked out nicely for me. Or maybe they just stopped caring about things like that when they realized there was no getting out."

"Mm. No getting out, indeed. I'll admit, I didn't think I'd live this long in here. I thought my heart would give out or something of that sort. I'm an old man—I'm not even sure how old these days! Always forgetting the little things," Kingsley's smile looked almost sad.

Spoiler

ID220213 | CD: 1 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220214 | BD: 2+4=6 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Boar

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 48/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Looting:
Activating Magdalyn's Cuckoo | +3 LD
ID: 220215 | LD: 14+9+3=26 | CD: 12
1 Gleaming Scale
Random Dungeon Map 220215

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

22,464 col
4 materials
1 Gleaming Scale

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

They found themselves at the edge of a forest, now closer to Tolbana than the Town of Beginnings. Kingsley admitted to disliking Tolbana for no reason other than "general atmosphere," which Morningstar somehow understood and applied to just about all of the settlements on the first floor. While he kept his eye out for wolves, Kingsley scavenged the first bushes he came across. They looked like blueberry bushes but upon closer inspection, had nothing but tiny flowers on them. There was nothing worth taking in sight.

"Shall we?" Kingsley asked, pointing at the entrance to the forest.

"I don't see why not," Morningstar answered.

It was dark in the forest and while the swordsman of the party had night vision, the old man did not. His ageing eyes made it infinitely more difficult for him to see than the average player. Lucky for him, he had a guide to lead the way.

Spoiler

Gathering (2/5) | Material found on LD 15+

ID: 220216 LD: 5+3=8

Edited by Kingsley

As soon as they stepped foot in the forest they were greeted by a growling wolf. It sprinted towards them, shockingly alone. Normally, Morningstar encountered them in packs. He stayed on guard, wondering if more were lurking in the shadows of the trees, and kept a close distance from Kingsley.

He swung wide, catching the wolf on its side as it lunged at him. The weight of Bleeding Giant knocked it off balance, throwing it into the bushes and destroying its virtual form.

Loot spilled into the blonde's inventory, but nothing of much worth was found.

"Anything around here?" he asked Kingsley, who was scraping the bark off of a tree. 

The old man was looking at the wood, eyes squinted. He was deep in thought, as if considering whether he could do anything with the material, but eventually shook his head and tossed it aside. "I don't think so."

Spoiler

ID220222 | CD: 6 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220223 | BD: 2+4=6 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Wolf

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 48/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Wolf | HP: 0/416 | DMG: 132

Looting:
ID: 220224 | LD: 10+9=19 | CD: 8
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220224a
T4 Perfect Trinket 220224b

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

26,624 col
4 materials
1 Gleaming Scale
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220224a
T4 Perfect Trinket 220224b

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

"Wait! I see them now!" Kingsley shouted, climbing into a nearby bush. He came out holding a handful of small, white berries. "Creeping Snowberries! They add the perfect minty taste when steeped in tea," he explained, examining them for any defects. He put them away with the other materials he had discovered.

"Are you just picking things that would work well in tea?" Morningstar put the pieces together. Flowers, berries, and leaves all seemed like ingredients for tea.

"You've caught me," the old man laughed. "The alchemist said materials, but she didn't say what kind!"

Morningstar could not argue with that. They traveled deeper into the forest, both pairs of eyes locked on their surroundings. Morningstar watched for wolves, while Kingsley searched for more plants to take home with him.

"Tell me, Star—do you spend a lot of your time fighting?" Kingsley's eyes stayed glued to the bushes.

Morningstar's moved to the old man. "I guess so, yeah. Most days, I'm doing a quest or a dungeon or something along those lines."

"A lot's changed for you then."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, fighting for your life used to be an act and now it's become reality."

Morningstar hadn't thought about it, but the old man was right. After all the time he had spent in the game, he had adjusted to it. He had not realized how foreign his old life felt anymore. "I'm not even sure I could go back to acting now. How have things changed for you?"

Kingsley smiled up at the swordsman. "I live very similarly. But I do miss my grandkids."

Spoiler

Gathering (3/5) | Material found on LD 15+

ID: 220315 LD: 18+3=21

Edited by Kingsley

"I miss my family too," Morningstar said, although he refrained from admitting that he thought of them less and less as the days rolled by. There was shame and sadness that followed that thought, and he was not open to sharing it. 

"It would be nice if we could keep a piece of them with us, wouldn't it?"

"There's a quest for that, actually. Floor Twenty-Two, Forest of Memories. Gives you an item that lets you look at your memories of the real world," Morningstar explained. "I guess Kayaba thought we would see it as generous but I imagine that for some, it looks like a cruel joke."

"Yes. They'll give us the memories but not the real thing. Thank you for sharing this with me. I'll be sure to look into the quest myself."

Morningstar smiled but said nothing in return, noticing another wolf peeking out from behind the greenery. They met briefly in combat, where the swordsman bested the beast.

Spoiler

ID220317 | CD: 3 | Recovery Failed

Free Action | None

ID220316 | BD: 9 (crit +1) | 27*16=432 DMG to Wolf

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 36/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 20 | EVA: 4 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4 | Pros. III

Wolf | HP: 0/416 | DMG: 132

Looting:
ID: 220318 | LD: 11+9=20 | CD: 7
(416*6)= 2,496 col
4 materials
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 220318a
T4 Perfect Trinket 220318b

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

29,120 col
8 materials
1 Gleaming Scale