[FL1-PP] Curious Beginnings <TFFL P1>

"The Phoenix is Solaris," Wulfrin said as his familiar took to the sky once again. "He's gotten a lot more friendly. Back when we met he was kind of a pompous jerk. He watched me, judging every move I made, while I fought for my literal life."

Wulfrin thought back to that day in the desert of Floor 5. Abdullah was still the only NPC Wulfrin had encountered that seemed to have some sort of memory algorithm. Even Zackariah, who until recently always asked Wulfrin how his search for Dorian's loan, seemed to no longer acknowledge him when he brought in newbies. That was likely due to the fact he had finally completed the chain, but that didn't help explain the Abdullah situation. Wulfrin cast his line back into the river before he continued.

"I didn't know I would meet him that day," Wulfrin reminisced to the others. "I'm a bit of an Ancient Greek nut. Long story short Apollo was said to park his sun chariot in a desert in Arabia at a cold water well. Every dawn, a phoenix would come and bathe then sing a beautiful melody. I essentially had to trek through the deserts of Floor 5 while being harassed by an NPC that loves holding grudges apparently."

The question about that fated day when this whole death game officially started fluttered into Wulfrin's mind thanks to Cardinal's handy sign language interpreter. He hadn't drifted back to that day in a long time. In fact he actively avoided thinking about it. He hadn't even stepped out of the Town of Beginnings before being forced back to the central plaza, where their captor announced their hopeless task of clearing all 100 floors of Aincrad. That was the moment he devolved into paranoia and locked himself away in the starting town. For two years he lived in fear, barely scraping by. Now he was soon to be wed and possibly not long after be conscripted to fight in the next boss raid.

"Since the announcement?" Wulfrin chuckled trying to shake the dreary thoughts from his mind. "Let's see. I spent two years scared to leave the safe zone. Then I met a man that apparated from the shadows and they helped me get my feet wet with the system. I opened up a forge on Floor 22. I am very close to becoming a married man, and on top of it all, I've been grinding like crazy since I've been told I might have to fight in the Boss Raid of Floor 28."

Feeling the tug at his line, Wulfrin pulled the catch ashore. Another universal crafting material to build his weapons and armor and some additional goodies to boot. Having retrieved his bundle of goodies, he began to prepare his hook for yet another round of fishing.

Spoiler

Fishing Attempt | Rank 3
Success CD 6+ 
Chest LD 10+ | +2 LD When Opening Chest +2 EXP per attempt

ID: 223095 | CD: 9 | LD: 12
Success Chest Found

Opening Chest
ID: 223096 | LD: 16+2=18

Results:

+1 Material
+18 Fishing Exp

Unidentified Perfect Weapons (2), Unidentified Rare Weapon (1)

Total Materials This Thread: 3
Total Fishing Exp This Thread: 46 exp
Items Collected This Thread:
Unidentified T3 Rare Weapons [223096c]
Unidentified T3 Perfect Weapons [222870a] [222970b] [223096a] [223096b]

Unidentified T3 Perfect Armor/Shield [222870c] [222870d]
T3 Random Dungeon Map [222870e]

Edited by Wulfrin

"That takes dedication." Adelyte chimed in to Wulfrin's journey through the desert in search of Solaris the phoenix. "But it looks like it was worth it in the end."  her eyes followed the bird as it circled in the air above them, its feathers looking like roaring flames as the sun's light hit them. "As for this one.." Adelyte would step a bit closer towards Nymoria and Musei, slowly and cautiously. Lowering herself down to a flat footed squat, hands on the knees, she would smile at the adorable creature, "Sounds almost like it was meant to be." 

After admiring the weasel for a moment longer, she stood back up and turned her back towards them with a spot closer to the trees as her destination. "I actually had, have, a pet ferret back home. My home, that is. Musei reminded me of him. Maybe I could find another ferret to adopt when I take the quest, or maybe something bigger and more badass!" her arms extended out wide. "But I guess we will see." 

Her eyes traced around the base of each tree as she continued her search for any sort of foliage that Zachariah could use for potions. As Nymoria's question entered her mind - like some memory calling to her - she froze. A slow exhale released from her nostrils as her shoulders sank. It really had been a long time since she had even thought about that day.

She started with a sigh, hoping that extra second would help her find the words she was looking for. "Not enough, apparently. I should have gotten out there with everyone else. Started leveling up, maybe join a guild. Who knows, maybe with one extra hand fighting on the frontlines, we could have been closer to ending this nightmare." 

"Instead, I painted. And sketched, but mostly painted. Sold any extra pieces out on the streets to make a little extra money to afford an inn or some food. Not a glamorous life, I'll tell you that. But it was safe, and I survived." She made sure she was facing Nymoria as she spoke. "What about you? What have you been up to?" 

ID 223099 | LD 14 | +1 Material
1/5

She should've known that the question would be turned back upon her, but as the smile from the thought of Adelyte selling her artworks on the street faded, a dark expression flitted across her face. There was no anger behind it, if anything it could be more closely associated with a depressive state. It appeared for only a few seconds, before Nymoria's features turned to a plain, almost empty void of a smile. Her hands moved slowly, and a few errors were obvious in the motions of the signing, a telltale to her nervousness at answering the question. I spent...some time trying to come to terms with things. It took a while for...the darkness to dissipate. To make the bad things go away. But eventually I came out. To join everyone else. I only started fighting with others. But that went poor. Then I found this quest line, and things went a bit better. Now I have people, and a purpose. I give hope to others, maybe.

The words were odd, the façade upon her likely making them feel even more hollow. Turning her attention back to the grass around her, Nymoria pulled aside a few more bushes as she tried to collect herself. She wasn't entirely sure what to say, and for a few seconds she remained silent as she considered the possibilities. Eventually, she turned back to the others in an attempt to rekindle some sort of conversation, unaware if they had been conversing while she was turned away - but deaf to anything that they may have stated.

You mentioned fighting at the frontlines. So you want to help clear the floors? Both of you, right? There was less excitement in her motions and expression than when they had first arrived, but the sorrow that had hidden in the back of her eyes mere moments ago was gone, for the time being.

ID223134 | LD: 10 | CD: 3 | Results: Failure. [+3 EXP | 9/49 EXP]

Edited by Nymoria

"Oddly enough," Wulfrin sighed as he cast his line once more into the river. "The frontlines have been more of an after thought for me lately. I've found myself trying to make the most of this world that was meant to be a prison. It was only a handful of days ago that I started to return to the power leveling scene. I feel more like I'm being drafted at this point, but on the other hand it's a necessary evil. After all, we are all most likely on some kind of biological timer."

Wulfrin found himself starting down the darker paths of their situation in the real world. He had thought about the situation on his own often when he first started into his initial leveling journey, but that had lessened over time. He found it best not to focus on the what ifs that came with the state of their physical bodies. Their bodies were in a much more fragile state. Either the game will kill them, or time would.

"So in short," Wulfrin continued as he reeled in another decent catch. "Yes the frontlines were a goal, but less so now. Do I want to get out of here? Sure I do, but I also don't want my life here to end."

Spoiler

Fishing Attempt | Rank 3
Success CD 6+ 
Chest LD 10+ | +2 LD When Opening Chest +2 EXP per attempt

ID: 223136 | CD: 9 | LD: 12
Success Chest Found

Opening Chest
ID: 223137 | LD: 7+2=9

Results:

+1 Material
+18 Fishing Exp

Unidentified Rare Weapons (2), Unidentified Rare Consumables (2)

Total Materials This Thread: 3
Total Fishing Exp This Thread: 46 exp
Items Collected This Thread:
Unidentified T3 Rare Consumables [223137c] [223137d]
Unidentified T3 Rare Weapons [223096c] [223137a] [223137b]
Unidentified T3 Perfect Weapons [222870a] [222970b] [223096a] [223096b]

Unidentified T3 Perfect Armor/Shield [222870c] [222870d]
T3 Random Dungeon Map [222870e]

Edited by Wulfrin