[PP-F1] Test of Steel (Koutei, Katharine, Archer)

I focused as the timer went down to 0. The duel started and Kat charged at me with a sword skill once more.

I was too worried to dodge after what happened last time, so I attempted to parry instead.

I swung my sword at hers as she approached. Our weapons clashed and I could feel her strength as she forced the attack. I couldn't hold it back and ended up letting go of my sword as it dropped to my side. Her attack continued its path and she struck me with a clean hit. I fell to the ground once more.

"Haha, you're so strong Kat." The duel had ended with an instant loss once again. "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archer watched as they went at it again surprised at how much energy they had. This time the battle winner was decided much quicker. "You guys are so amazing" she squealed as Kat came and sat down next to her. "Well I've never seen a fight before so it was really interesting about the blocking and parrying" she said looking thoughtful as she tried to replay the fight in her mind.

I chuckled when I heard her say that. "I wouldn't mind watching. Just don't go too hard on her, Kat." I said, knowing Archer was a lower level than I was and that I didn't stand a chance against Kat.

I was still kinda bummed about my losing streak I just went on. First, a half-loss duel where I only hit her twice and then not one but two first-strike duels where I lost before even having a chance to attack. Stronger? Yeah right. If anything I felt weaker than I've ever been.

Has making friends made me soft? Do I really rely on then instead of my own strength? Have I lost confidence in my ability and lost strength because of it? I was confused as to what was happening... I wanted to be strong, I really did, but I was starting to doubt if it was possible...

"EHHH?!?!?! You want to have a practice battle with me!" Archer looked beyond shocked as she stared at Kat before her face turned into an excited grin "Your on Kat, I'm just glad we're in a safe zone" she said winking and spinning round to face Koutei who seem to be looking down "Don't get too down Koutei, your a great fighter, but Kat can get kind of scary and she looked serious" Archer said giving a thumbs up to Koutei and swiping her HUD and sending Kat a duel request "Please don't completely wipe me out" Archer said giving a nervous smiling, but still trying to keep up her positive attitude besides she had a better sword than before, she thought readying her hand over her blade Annael that she had gotten from a quest, next time she Kat fought she hoped, she would have a better sword and better armour, she glanced down at her own flimsy stuff then at Kats "This looks likes it's going to be a pretty one sided fight since I haven't gotten any skills yet" she mumbled to herself moving into a what she hoped was a reasonable fighting stance "Good luck Kat" Archer said with a laugh as the counter neared zero.

Archer' s eyebrow twitched slightly as she felt the weight of Kats stare and her smirk. She unsheathed her own sword focusing on not letting her hand shake. Archer glanced over at Koutei suddenly regretting having a one strike mode she sent Koutei aa help me look knowing full well that she wouldn't die but Kat was scary. Archer sighed if she was already shaking in a battle that had no real consequences apart from her pride what would she be like in a dungeon. The counter got closer and closer to zero as a sweat drop formed on Archers head, she was really starting to regret this know 'please let me last a few seconds' she thought hoping Kat was going to go just a little easier on her. Wait if this was one strike mode does that mean she should be making the first move "I'll just move around evasively and try to land a hit in" she thought to herself nodding "In other words your going to run around like an idiot" piped up a voice in her head "Noooo I'm just going to be...swift??" she argued back. Archer looked around at Kat adjusting her grip on her sword as the annoying voice tutted in her head.

I smiled as I watched them ready themselves for the duel. The fact that it was First-Strike Mode means that if Archer gets lucky, Kat could lose. On the other hand, I also get to see Kat fight from the sidelines this time. It was certainly going to be interesting.

I could feel the tension in the air. I guess I couldn't feel it before due to the adrenaline. They were both about to go head to head and they were pumped. Archer seemed scared, though she had a good reason to be. At least she was showing spirit, I could see how determined she was. The same could be said about Kat, she had a fierce look in her eyes. I chuckled as I thought about her.

The timer got closer to 0 and I leaned forward in my seat, not wanting to miss a second. I didn't even want to blink, knowing the duel could be over by the time I finish blinking.

The timer hit zero and Archer's face blanched as Kat charged at her. Archer stared at the glowing blade frozen, she snapped back to her senses at just the right moment sliding to the left and bring her blade up to slice across Kats side willing her blade to move faster, but she couldn't match Kats speed and her blade missed Arches eyes widened as she saw Kat's blade in her peripheral vision "ah damn" Archer sighed.

Archer had barely recovered from Kats first attack when she swung again this time she ducked noticing the blade has changed colour 'I really need to get myself some sword skills' she thought springing to the side of Kat and jabbing forward with her own blade this time aiming for her shoulder, Kat's face was so serious is was kind of scary, but Archer noticed the occaisonal smile and did her best to smile back in between fumbling with her sword and trying to dodge Kat's attacks.

I felt my body trembling as I watched Archer strike Kat. As I saw Archer's blade collide with Kat's body, I was overcome with emotion. I quickly stood up and ran off, disappearing into the shadows in an instant.

I turned into an alley where I was all alone. "Damn it!" I choked, punching the wall with all my strength. Tears flooded down my face, making dripping noises as they hit the ground. Weak...weak...weak...I was so weak. Was it too much to ask to be strong? I realised it as I watched Archer, a lower level player, defeat Kat, a player who defeated me 3 times like it was nothing. I wasn't strong like I wanted to be. I was weak... worthless...

"Damn it." I sobbed again, sliding to the ground where I sat there, curled up with my arms around my legs and my face planted on my legs. The ultimate judgement given to those who weren't strong... I'm going to die, just like all the other players before me. I was shaking at this point. I looked down at my sword. Maybe I shouldn't waste any more effort... maybe I should accept death without wasting any more time... What good was I anyway...

I noticed the blood trickling from my hand from punching the wall. I could feel the pain in my hand. Pain... that's all this world is... pain, and death... I kept thinking about ending it. Accepting death. Escaping the pain of this cruel world. "Why should I even bother with this damn game any more..." I mumbled to myself.

I rubbed my head when Archer beat me.

"Archer, your strong, don't think of yourself as weak, I'm sure you'll become much stronger sooner." I said, smiling cheerfully at her.

"Koutei, how w-" I realized that Koutei was not there, so I ran off searching for him.

"Koutei! Koutei! Where are you!" I shouted, but no reply. Till I saw him, under a tree, his hand was bleeding.

"Koutei! What are y-" I stop speaking when I heard his muttering.

"Why should I even bother with this damn game any more..." I stared at him, completely frozen.

As I was mumbling to myself, Kat came running up to me. I looked up at her, tears still lining my face. I noticed she was looking at my hand, and quickly placed my other hand on top of it to cover it.

"K-k-kat... I..." I kept stuttering and was at a loss for words. I didn't know what to say. I turned my head away in shame. Wait, no... it wasn't shame. It couldn't have been. In the mood I was currently in, I didn't care about shame or anything else for that matter. But if it wasn't shame, it was something else...