How Do You Feel The Forum Should Work

How Do You Feel The Forum Should Work?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel The Forum Should Work?

• Dice System
    • Honor System
    • Other

Well, it's currently being talked about that the forum is trying to move to a new forum operating system. However, the problem we are running into is the dice problem. As Erron has told us that there is now way (at the moment anyways) for the dice rolls to store, this means the dice roll would literally be different every time you refreshed and everybody saw something different.

So now I am here to ask YOU how you feel the forum should work. There are two main ways, but some other options you guys have in mind would be amazing if you ran them by us here to perhaps make this a whole lot easier.

The first way is the dice system. If you feel the dice system makes the forum fair and you need it to help balance out your roleplays, then maybe it'd be sweet of you if you can maybe come up with an alternate system that could possibly work.

The second way we were thinking of trying to run the forum after the move is go without a dice system and go on using the honor system. The problem that we can run into with this is that everyone tries to powergame their way through everything, essentially making a level 1 invincible.

So, we want your opinion on how the forum should work, and maybe we can build from your ideas or your suggestions.

The whole javascript displaying dices randomly could be displayed only in the as-you-are-posting page instead of the topic view page, as many have expressed the mundane tasks of posting and then editing post later to coincide with the dice roll displaying after posting. The only downside is that the javascript dice on the posting page could be changed each time you press refresh. So back to the reason why we took away a posters ability to delete posts to get better dice rolls would come into play. But, that's all up to you the staff and players best wishes but it too would basically be the honor system.

Also, if you choose "other", please explain or recommend your thoughts.

There is always the option of including links to an off site dice roller in posts where it is required. A lot of play by post places that I have played at over the year use this method. Examples of such sites would be Orokos or Invisible Castle.

Orokos is the better of the two since you need to sign up for it, and it would still be slightly honor based as you can't see 'at a glance' whether the roll the player says they made actually matches the one that they did make, you'd have to actually click the link to be 100% sure.

That said its a workable system. Players can now post knowing what the result of their attack is rather than having to go back and edit. And the risk of cheating is pretty low, especially if a zero tolerance (or nearly zero tolerance) policy is adopted for anyone who gets caught fudging their rolls. If the reward is a slight boost in a thread vs severe penalties or expulsion I can't see people taking the foolish route.

If you are reffering to the "PHBB3" forum software ad also plan non dice, just don't. It won't work. People will just edit there post and then say they rolled a '10' or a '9' and when roleplaying for monsters theyll say '1' and '2'. But I have no idea... I happen to own a phbb 3 site and was trying to work it out as well but....

Hey by the way, what's wrong with this system?

The current situation that we are having with the dice system is that we are planning on moving the forum to a new host. Invision Pro Boards to be exact. I have no personal knowledge on how this will work, but it appears that the dice system actually works on the new host, however when you refresh a page, you will see all new rolls. Also, everyone else will see completely different numbers compared to the ones you got.

So right now, we're trying to get a good idea of possibilities that we can do for the next forum host in case we can't find a way to make the dice system work.

The current situation that we are having with the dice system is that we are planning on moving the forum to a new host. Invision Pro Boards to be exact. I have no personal knowledge on how this will work, but it appears that the dice system actually works on the new host, however when you refresh a page, you will see all new rolls. Also, everyone else will see completely different numbers compared to the ones you got.

So right now, we're trying to get a good idea of possibilities that we can do for the next forum host in case we can't find a way to make the dice system work.

What is the reason for changing in the first place?

While the thread remains open I suppose this is as good a time as any to bring up a question that I've had for a while. Has there been any consideration about moving the combat dice to a slightly wider range?

I ask because I know this has been a bit of a problem looking forward. Aincrad is 100 levels, and a d10 does run into trouble with giving incremental bonuses over that scale. That is to say, a +1 is a huge bonus on a d10, when it is far less significant over a d100, or even a d20.

It would probably require a pretty serious rework of the existing items to make the change, and if you're going through the effort of changing the battle dice that significantly there would probably also need to be a ton of other associated changes so who knows.

While the thread remains open I suppose this is as good a time as any to bring up a question that I've had for a while. Has there been any consideration about moving the combat dice to a slightly wider range?

I ask because I know this has been a bit of a problem looking forward. Aincrad is 100 levels, and a d10 does run into trouble with giving incremental bonuses over that scale. That is to say, a +1 is a huge bonus on a d10, when it is far less significant over a d100, or even a d20.

It would probably require a pretty serious rework of the existing items to make the change, and if you're going through the effort of changing the battle dice that significantly there would probably also need to be a ton of other associated changes so who knows.

I say this would have been better to bring up doing beta before everything was configured into the system.....

I say this would have been better to bring up doing beta before everything was configured into the system.....

Which I would have done had I been around at that time.

It isn't necessarily a change that has to be made mind you, its just one that might help to give a wider curve of power so that people don't hit all of the caps for gear/skills/everything else well before floor 100.

I strongly agree with a bunch of these. Like when Kirito is talking to the red players when they try to kill him and he stands still that he has about 4k or 40k hp, can't remember which.

Also there is that fact that when you look closely at two of the episode, the Christmas event and the recovering of the familiar, you see that Kirito changes out about 4 things of equipment and that when he helps Sicilia (think I spelled it right) he gives her five or six items to boost her level. So maybe we can have equipment slots unlock when progress further into the world.

As well as, for the equipment, in the game you see in like episode six that the people in the Golden Apple guild gain a bracelet that raises one of your stats, I think it was accuracy, by like 20. So will that also change in the system maybe?

I don't want to cause lots of stress. Just trying to help make the game as fun and show/game related as possible.

I strongly agree with a bunch of these. Like when Kirito is talking to the red players when they try to kill him and he stands still that he has about 4k or 40k hp, can't remember which.

Also there is that fact that when you look closely at two of the episode, the Christmas event and the recovering of the familiar, you see that Kirito changes out about 4 things of equipment and that when he helps Sicilia (think I spelled it right) he gives her five or six items to boost her level. So maybe we can have equipment slots unlock when progress further into the world.

As well as, for the equipment, in the game you see in like episode six that the people in the Golden Apple guild gain a bracelet that raises one of your stats, I think it was accuracy, by like 20. So will that also change in the system maybe?

I don't want to cause lots of stress. Just trying to help make the game as fun and show/game related as possible.

I like you idea for the more equipment slots to be available later in the future. I really do, but there might a few bugs and problems that would arise from that. I would suggest making a topic about that and having people put there ideas about that right there. As for the Honor or Dice system, keep it simple and sweet, the Dice roll system, I like it the way it is, don't fix something that ain't broken, as the old saying goes. There is nothing wrong with the system as far as I can see.

• 4 weeks later...

Anything mechanical will end up turning role-plays into single line posts trying to get approval for every action. Any external pages are basically redundant since you can't really prove anything anyway. The dice system is probably the safest bet but how about having the dice rolls posted before you write your reply? For example.. The text box will require a single click of a button before you can start typing anything. Once you click that button the dice rolls will be generated and posted in a side bar next to your posts for the public to view which then can be used to decide your next actions.

Currently, there isn't anyone with the knowledge or access to add permanent roll values to individual posts. 

Sure there is. A random number generator. Just being applied in a different sense. Think about it. Before you post you have to click a button which sends your dice rolls in a separate text box which becomes automatically posted. This would split each topic in two (not straight down the middle though, just enough to see the dice roll values) . This way everyone can see the dice roll and you're forced to play out from those rolls. 

Sure there is. A random number generator. Just being applied in a different sense. Think about it. Before you post you have to click a button which sends your dice rolls in a separate text box which becomes automatically posted. This would split each topic in two (not straight down the middle though, just enough to see the dice roll values) . This way everyone can see the dice roll and you're forced to play out from those rolls. 

I understand what you said, but someone has to code that to make it happen. There's a lot involved in doing that, even if it seems simple.

I understand what you said, but someone has to code that to make it happen. There's a lot involved in doing that, even if it seems simple.

Fair enough. It would be difficult but i don't think it would be impossible. What about having Gms post the dice roles for the players instead? That might be way too much effort though.. Im sure you guys will figure something out. In the mean time i guess the honesty of players will have to do.

Anything mechanical will end up turning role-plays into single line posts trying to get approval for every action. Any external pages are basically redundant since you can't really prove anything anyway. The dice system is probably the safest bet but how about having the dice rolls posted before you write your reply? For example.. The text box will require a single click of a button before you can start typing anything. Once you click that button the dice rolls will be generated and posted in a side bar next to your posts for the public to view which then can be used to decide your next actions.

External pages aren't necessarily redundant.  

Orokos, which I mentioned upthread requires to create an account and keeps track of all rolls.  If someone suspects you of cheating they can actually go and look at all rolls you made, and if they find you rerolling to get the result you want it is really easy to call you on it.