[PP-F1] A Chance Encounter [Lessa] {Complete}

Ryuu released a sigh of relief. "I'm so glad you have good aim. I almost was afraid I put my trust in the wrong person for a second. I'm just trying to be of use since I can't seem to hit anything, but don't worry. Since I can tell that really scared you, having to kill that thing while I was holding it, I won't do that anymore. I promise." Ryuu turned and put his sword between him and the last wolf. He was about to put his previously thought technique to the test.

He ran, picking up a tremendous amount of speed as he did so. He was still about ten feet away from the wolf when he leaped into the air, doing a type of inverted hurricane kick on the wolf. As his foot met with the wolf's forehead, he brought his sword down on the poor thing's back in the fraction of second that followed, leaving a gash of red. He kicked off before the wolf even had a chance to recover, much less counter. He swiftly returned to his companion's side. "I promise I will never, to the best of my ability, let you feel the terror you just felt before. Just trust me though when I do something like that. I trusted you, right? As long as you believe in me I won't be letting you down. Remember that, okay Lessa?"

[Rolled 7 on d10 die. Ryuu deals 2 damage- base, +1 skill]

Lessa- 15/15

Ryuu- 7/11

Wolf- DEAD

Wolf DEAD

Wolf 6/8

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As he spoke, the blonde gave him a tired smile. She was certainly glad that he had trusted her, but the action had still sent her heart racing. She had not expected it from him. I hardly know you, she thought to herself, studying the man as he landed his attack on the wolf. Yet you're asking me to trust you?

The truth was, Lessa trusted easily. Though he had caught her off-guard, he had not exactly given her a reason to doubt him. She sighed, lifting her blade to chest-level, and throwing him a side-ways glance. "Alright," came her soft reply. "I will remember."

The final wolf gave a guttural growl, and Lessa turned to face it. Blue eyes narrowed, as she quickly planned out her attack. She saw herself landing it in her head, and that was enough for her to spring into action.

Lunging forward, she used speed and brute force to slam her heavy claymore into the beast's side. Its cry told her that she had done the damage she had intended.

"Finish it," she called out encouragingly.

{Rolled a 9 on the d10 dice. Lessa deals 5 damage - base, +1 critical, +1 two-handed skill, +2 Hell Rose}

Lessa - 15/15

Ryuu - 7/11

Wolf - DEAD

Wolf - DEAD

Wolf - 1/8

"Got it! I'm not letting it get away this time." Ryuu brought his sword up to his head and began his charge on the wolf. 'If I do this properly, I might go up a level. I am on the verge of leveling.' 

Ryuu yet again, pushed himself to his limits with speed. He did not want to give the wolf the chance to dodge this attack. Within an instant, he had closed in on the wolf. He thrusted his sword forward and watched as the wolf exploded in a burst of red polygons.

(Rolled a 7 on d10 die. Ryuu does 2 damage- base, +1 skill)

Lessa - 15/15
Ryuu - 7/11

Wolf - DEAD
Wolf - DEAD
Wolf - DEAD

Lessa's tired face lit up as she watched Ryuu vanquish the final wolf. She smiled. Long strides closed the remaining distance between the two. She slowed to a stop beside him, and gave him a pat on the back. "Job well done!" She exclaimed, sheathing her weapon and looking out over the space where the wolves had once resided. "Looks like you have some rewards coming you way. And it is always really nice to rank up, isn't it?" The girl glanced upward at her experience bar. "Seems I have a ways to go still. But I'll keep pushing."

TRyuu smiled back at her. "Thanks. And you'll probably level up faster than I will, so don't worry about it right now." Ryuu's rewards started to come in. (The loot roll on the dead wolf was 16) He looked and saw he got a wolf pelt and a wolf claw. "Oh that's good. I'm now closer to making my armor. Now if I could only find some really good quality ores. I have an idea for my sword." He turned to Lessa. "Hey, Lessa, you are a blacksmith right. Where is a good place to find nice ore. My sword needs to be top notch or else it will hold back my signature move." He was excited now. He could almost see himself holding his prized sword from the Beta, World's End.

The young woman chuckled, and shook her head. "You're a great fighter, Ryuu," came her reply. "You don't give yourself enough credit. I'm sure that you'll level up very soon. Just wait." When he spoke of her profession, she nodded. "Mhmm, I am." Putting her hands on her hips, she looked around a bit. It had been a while since she had explored the first floor, but she figured she could come up with something for her companion.

"If I'm not mistaken, there is a small mine not too far from here. The material I could find was pretty few and far between, but it might be a good place to start." With flick of her wrist, she brought up her minimap. "Want to start there?"

Ryuu's eyes brightened. "Yes! I don't care if it has been completely picked over. It has to have some area where I can find something good. Could you lead the way?" Ryu was probably acting like a little kid, but he didn't mind. He thought that everyone should have bit of time to relax and not care about their reputation, and as the one known as the Demon Child, he really didn't care about his reputation too much.

"I can't wait till I get my hands on some really good ore. There has to be some. I know it!"

She could not help but smile as the young man reacted to her offer. His eyes danced with an excitement she hadn't seen in a while, and it really was refreshing. "Alright," she said, finally. "I'd be happy to." After another moment of surveying her minimap, she motioned for him to follow her. "Ready?"

The pair walked toward the mine in silence for a moment, and then she spoke. "So, how are you getting along?" She brushed her blonde hair back from her face, and gave him a reassuring smile.

Ryuu tilted his head inquisitively and looked at her. "Oh, I'm okay, I guess. I couldn't care less about the idiots I deal with at school, but I'm really worried about my parents. There's no way that they don't know what happened to me. My mother is probably still bawling and my father has probably cut himself off from the rest of the world. I'm worried what you happen to them if I don't make it back." Ryuu was surprised how honest he was just then. He sighed. "Look at me, worrying about others when it's my life in danger. It's just like that last battle, forcing those close to me suffer just to fulfil my selfish desire to protect." He perked up a bit, knowing that Lessa would probably worry about him if he just kept staring off into the distance. "Um, enough about me. How about you?"

Lessa gave him an understanding smile. "Don't worry," she replied, gently. "I know that feeling. I spend the vast majority of my time worrying about others. I've always been that way." She turned away from him, gazing out over the terrain as they walked. Finally, she added, "I wonder if being trapped in this terrible place will change that."

When she finally turned back to him, her smile was still in place. "And I'm doing alright. Working hard. Getting stronger. I need to be stronger." A faint blush lit her cheeks. "I'm going to be a front-liner someday." Her smile grew a bit sheepish. "I can't just sit idly by while people die for me, you know? They're trying to clear the floors so people like me can go home. I owe it to them."

Ryuu looked at her. His eyes gently conveying his understanding. "I know how you feel. Some say I'm already strong enough to front-line, but truth is that is only because of my condition. I can't just keep relying on nature's mistake to keep me alive. I need to be stronger on my own. I want to be able to protect as everyone. I want to show people I'm not a monster, I'm a guardian." Ryuu looked at the landscape outstretched before him.

He straighten his posture. His eyes reflected a calm, yet strong, determination. "I will beat all 100 floors. I promise that you, Lessa, and everyone else will see their families again. I know that sounds unrealistic, but sometimes you have to shoot for the stars to hit the moon, if you know what I mean." He looked back at her and gave a beaming smile.

Her features softened. The girl slowed to a halt, and turned to face Ryuu. Out of instinct, she lifted a hand and placed it gently on her shoulder. "I believe you," she replied. She gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "I know you'll get there, to the top floor. We'll get there together." Her smile grew. "How does that sound?"

His determination and childish excitement were contagious. She had spent a long time level grinding just for the sake of leveling up. Now, Ryuu gave her another reminder of why she was doing what she was doing. It was a little bittersweet, watching such a young soul speak so highly of putting himself in danger. But it was also incredibly noble.

"I would really like to have someone like you on this journey with me, if that isn't too selfish." He notices the look in Lessa'a eyes. His previous experiences have given him the ability to predict ones thoughts. "I see you thinking of me as a little young to be thinking this way, but I have seen too much of the world, both this one and the real one. I have matured beyond my years. I also don't really envy the life I am forced to live, but that no longer matters." Ryuu smiles after this. "I have found people who accept me and my flaws."

Lessa shook her head. "No," came her response, "it is not selfish at all." She withdrew her hand, and shoved both of them deep into her pockets. Then, she looked out over the landscape. Listening to him speak was stirring up a lot of emotion within her, and she needed a moment to breathe. "And age does not matter," she added, finally. "Not anymore. Not in a place like this."

"SAO ages us all," she continued, drawing in a deep, shaking breath. "It is impossible to stay young and innocent in a world such as this. If you try, you won't survive." Hearing herself say it was only twisting the knife in her heart. But it was the truth.

"Well, I hope you include me in that list of people," she concluded. "You can count on me, Ryuu."

Ryuu saw the change in her appearance. He was caught off guard by it. 'Does she usually get this emotional? Maybe it is an aftereffect of my risking my life to stop that wolf... No that's not it. I can tell she doesn't see me as a child so what could this be? Is she at odds with herself or is it something entirely different?' He heard the last part and stopped dead in his tracks. Those were the exact words Chikiyo had told him before she had entered this game...and died. He held back his tears. he had never expected to hear those words again, and especially not here. Finally, he responded. It was quiet and hard to hear, but it was all he could get out at the moment. "I know."

She knew that she had upset him as soon as he spoke. Lessa winced, then turned back to Ryuu. His whole demeanor had changed. Did I say something wrong? She found herself wondering. True, she had become a bit emotional as well, thinking of how the game had changed her and those she care about. But it had been a deep, personal matter. A hand moved to touch him again, but at the last moment, she thought better of it. Perhaps she was moving too quickly, and that was what was unsettling him? The young woman dragged her lower lip between her teeth, then turned her back.

"Come on," she said, gently. "The mine is just up ahead, over this hill. We're almost there."

Ryuu tried to regain his composure and quickly followed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. Its just... Those words. I haven't heard them in so long. I-I miss hearing them. The last person say such things is now gone...forever. I never thought to find someone capable of caring for a monster." Ryuu wiped a stray tear off his cheek. He wasn't supposed to cry. He was supposed to be strong. He was supposed to be protecting people, and how could he do that in such a sorry state? 'Get a hold of yourself. You look pathetic.' After that Ryuu just followed Lessa. "Where exactly is this mine?"

"No, its alright," she replied gently. Lessa had not meant to upset her companion, especially with words spoken to calm him. She heaved a small sigh. "You're no monster, Ryuu," she told him. "Truly. I have not known you long, but I've seen nothing to prove otherwise." She fell silent. There was no need to push the issue further unless Ryuu wanted to. She did not wish to upset him again.

"The mine is this way," she said finally, speaking to his final question. As if on cue, the pair crested the hill and the mine revealed itself below.

Ryuu had regain his composure completely now and was looking down the mine, not seeing the bottom. "It certainly is dark. I wonder what I might find down there. Do you think we'll find anything of worth? It would be great if I could get some really good quality ore down there." All he could think about was making his infamous sword from the beta, World's End. His thoughts raced as he remembered the time where he sliced seven monsters in half, killing them all in one blow. 'If I could attain more power maybe I'd have a chance at beating this game.'

Lessa's blue eyes lit up as she remembered something. Ryuu had jogged her memory, and she realized that she had another tool at her disposal.

"I have an idea," she piped up, opening her map. She made a few selections, then held out her arm. Ribbons of light wrapped themselves around her arm, and when they died away, a white animal stood in their place. The stoat gave a soft chirp of greeting, then scampered up her arm and nuzzled her ear.

"This is Orion," Lessa told Ryuu, grinning. "He's my familiar. He's an expert when it comes to finding materials." As if to prove her point, Orion scurried down side, leaped to the ground, and trotted off into the darkness. Not too far from them, he began to chatter.

"Maybe he found something." Lessa followed the sound of Orion's chirping, but when she reached him, she saw nothing. "Good guess, bud," she cooed. Then she glanced back up toward her partner, and shrugged. "He's still learning."

{[127] 5 + 1 = 6. No material found.}