[PP - F1] The Newcomer (Tristan Delaney) [Complete]

She sat alone on the bench, unmoving, as the other players milled about. People watching had always been an interesting way to pass the time for Lessa. Everyone had somewhere to go, or someone to see. She had no idea what their plans were, but it was always fun to make something up. And it was sort of peaceful, watching everyone race about while having nowhere to be herself. She had no other obligations. Today was her day off, and she wanted to spend it back on the first floor.

The blonde heaved a content sigh, leaning back, and settling deeper into the bench. There was nothing quite like having an empty to-do list. She had been training so hard over the past couple of weeks, and this break was a welcome one. She closed her eyes, and enjoyed the feel of the gentle breeze on her skin. It toyed with the stray strands of hair that framed her face. She smiled. A little slice of heaven in an otherwise hellish game.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tristan sauntered along, his long red hair flowing in the light breeze. You'd think he was posing for some model shoot for gear, if it weren't as horrendous as milk off from last year. With no armour statistic of any sort and the starting spear, he would probably only fight slimes his entire life until he gets something new. Then again, slimes did have cute round eyes and the need to stroke them...no, that's a stupid thought.

In his idle behaviour and paying little attention, Tristan looked around him to find somewhere to sit and found a bench. Being just what he needed, he walked and sat on it, not paying attention that there was someone else sitting on it.

It was only after a bit that he noticed, typical him and his lack of self-awareness.

"Oh hello, didn't see you there. I'm Tristan."

It was obvious from his gear that he was new, though his athletic figure which he had in real life was equally pronounced here in SAO. The spear rested by his side casually, as though also sitting on the bench.

She felt the bench shift slightly under the wait of another occupant. But Lessa did not bother to open her eyes. Here in the safe zone, there was nothing that anyone could do to her. She had learned only to sweat things that happened while in dangerous territory. In the city, she was not concerned. But when the stranger spoke to her, she did come to life.

Eyelids fluttered open, and she curiously regarded the man that had taken a seat next to her. She yawned once, and wiped at her eyes with the side of her hand. "No worries," she replied, giving him a tired smile. Lessa took a deep breath, filling her lungs and waking her up a bit. "Its a pleasure to meet you, Tristan." She held out a hand. "I've always really loved that name, by the way. And I'm Lessa."

His smile was gentle and honest, despite being a small one. It complimented his smooth skin and silky hair. It was impossible for him to fake a facial expression beyond a calm poker face, so any expression he showed was genuine.

"I must admit I've never heard of that name in all the time I ran a videogame store in the UK. However it is a lovely name and I'll be sure to name one of my children Lessa if I ever have any."

He chuckled slightly at his own dry humour, but moved on from the topic.

"What are you doing here though? It is clear from what you wear that you are far beyond fresh meat like I am. Regardless of my real life training with weapons, I am still level one after all." It was notable that she was at least several levels above him, though maybe not too many. He wasn't too sure on how things functioned in SAO.

Though she was well aware of his joking nature, she could not keep the blush from her cheeks. "Well thanks," she replied, laughing softly. "It is actually a nickname that my brothers gave me when I was young." Her smile grew. "Though, should you decide to name your daughter Lessa, I won't argue. You'll just have to make me godmother," she added with a wink.

As he asked her about her level, she gave an understanding nod. "Mhmm, I'm working my way toward level eight. But I love coming back here. Its calm. Most people here are still starting out, or have dedicated their lives to something other than fighting. There isn't this crazy urge to keep grinding down here." The blonde tipped her head back, and she watched the clouds roll by lazily. After a moment of gazing up at the sky, she glanced back at Tristan. She gave him a goofy grin. "Besides, this is where all of the newbies hang out. And I do like newbies."

Tristan could only agree with her sentiments on life, which rather matched his own. "I'd have to agree with all you say there. It seems always a bit reckless to go solo and risk your life at fighting, when you could be fighting together with other people, or simply enjoying life for what it is. There is a lot to be missed if you don't take a step back and regard what there is already. Well I say that mostly because the last time I did solo I got trampled on, my spear all slimy and my leg nearly ripped off."

He raised an eyebrow at her latter statement though. "Is that as a general sweeping statement or specific new people that you meet?"

Tristan thought for a moment back about the quest that got him martial arts.

"Say. I broke the rock for martial arts, which I'm more than happy to help you do too if you haven't, and got some gear. However, at the moment the disparity is still lacking, having a new weapon and pendant but no armour. With the three gold ore materials I have here, could you make me some armour? Something like Vambraces say, preferably with a gauntlet attached? And if you manage something good from that, hopefully a chest piece too. If we end up not making any, we could get some more mats together, since I'm sure the both of us could do with some more."

The last part had the intonation that it was like stating the obvious. Mats were always coveted, because from it someone could craft even perfect items, which are highly coveted among players.

Edited by Tristan Delaney

His question made her laugh again. "I suppose it was a poorly phrased comment, wasn't it?" She looked out over the sea of people as they moved around her. Many were still in nothing but their starter cloth clothing. A few higher-level players moved in and out of shops, but the vast majority of players were levels one or two. She did stick out a bit, didn't she?

"I'm a people person," she told him, without moving her eyes from the busy street. "I really enjoy helping others. It helps me calm down a bit. And makes me feel like a human being again." She sighed, and finally turned to face him on the bench. "This game will strip away your humanity. You become a machine, concerning yourself with nothing other than grinding and level clearing." She motioned to him with one gauntlet-clad hand. "But when I come down here, and help people like you, I feel like we are still civilized. Like this game hasn't changed us all so much."

She paused, letting that sink in as she thought about his armor request. "I'd be happy to help you," she replied, "but crafting is tricky business. I'm getting better, but I cannot guarantee that three materials will be enough. I'd be more than happy to go out and collect some materials with you though, if you'd like. We could do that now." She yawned, and rolled her shoulders back. "I've nothing else to do"

Tristan nodded to what she said. It seemed perfectly reasonable to go for some extra materials becuase of their chances and he didn't blame her. Over confidence could lead to issues and wasted time. The more he talked to her in general, the better she seemed as a person in his eyes. Someone who seeked humanity out of the game, rather than pure self-satisfaction from clearing and the such.

"Well that seems perfectly reasonable. Do you want to gather through monster or general non-combat farming? Or both? I have no preference."

Tristan gestured with his hands the two sides in terms of choice like a scale.

It was essentially a toss up between a lot of loot in a short time, along with col, or safely farming over a longer period of time. It was probably a question posed to all people who wished for some extra materials.

"Well, newbie," she began, giving him a wink and bestowing upon him the affectionate nickname. "So much of this game is dependent on combat. I can tell that you're interested in becoming a warrior, based on your request for better equipment. I vote that we kill two birds with one stone. Lets hone your skills, and collect the materials from the enemies we kill. Does that sound okay?"

Finally, Lessa stood. Stretching, she adjusted her how her heavy claymore hung on her back. Then, she nodded her head toward the city's outer limits. "You'll be fine," she told him, gently. "The monsters on the first floor are perfect for practicing." Then, her smile grew. "And I will not let anything happen to you."

"Well if they're easier than the ones on Floor 2, it should be a breeze. Also, I think I prefer Tristan over newbie, though there may be other nicknames you like."

Tristan stood up, using his spear to hoist himself up. They made rather practical walking sticks, it had to be said. Good for travelling the mountains.
When she spoke the last sentence, he was looking at her eyes while resting on his spear. His eyes softened, along with his smile. "Thank you, I will ensure that I will do my best to protect you also from harm. It would seem only fair to care for each other than to just receive, regardless of any sentimentalities behind it."

"Tristan it is then," she replied with a small laugh. Then she shrugged. "Many people I encounter prefer to not refer to each other by name. I'm not sure if it is an issue with forging relationships or what. But it is refreshing to talk to someone just as personable as myself." And she did enjoy speaking with Tristan. Though she had only just met him, she already felt at ease by his side. Many of the players she ran with had harder exteriors. He was open, and incredibly easy to read. It was nice.

The blonde began walking, and she cast a glance over her shoulder to ensure Tristan was following. "Well, if you're feeling confident, we can move farther out. Enemies are stronger the deeper we go."

"How odd. Last time I checked, this wasn't a fantasy world where saying their 'true name' could control people."

Tristan chuckled slightly at the thought of it.

Tristan grinned at her proposal for harder enemies. "Bring it on, I'm curious to see what you have in mind."

He felt at ease at this woman, who was (at least for him) an extrovert of her personal opinion, much like he was.

The pair walked together through the meadow, a comfortable silence hanging between them. Her blue eyes grazed the landscape, looking for possible targets. A few times, she spotted tiny boar roaming about. I will leave those for the level one players, she decided, not stopping to engage them in combat. "You're looking for a challenge, right?" She asked, turning to her companion. Lessa gave him a knowing smile. "I have an idea.

They had been walking for quite some time. The monsters out this far would be more powerful than they had been near the city. As if to prove this point, a pair of wolves loped up to them, jaws twisted in terrible snarls. "After you," she motioned to Tristan, taking a step back.

Tristan: 15/15

Lessa: 17/17

Wolf 1: 15/15

Wolf 2: 15/15

(Oh my, this is a good roll to start with)

Tristan enjoyed the quiet, where all they did was listen to the sound of their breathing, the footsteps crunching against the ground and the ambiance of the world so expertly crafted.

Sure enough, Lessa found them something quite to deal with. "I do like people that don't do things in halves" Tristan spoke with some mocking in his voice, as though playing around.

He held his Dragon Spear firmly and the weapon glowed, then he thrusted forward at great speed, slicing with his spear.

Rolled a 2 on the d4 dice.

Rolled a 4 on the d6 dice.

Rolled a 3 on the d8 dice.

Rolled a 10 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Rolled a 5 on the d12 (craft) dice.

Rolled a 15 on the d20 (loot) dice.

The spear shot forward with his sword skill without mercy, ripping open their side. The wolf cried out, virtual ligaments torn apart.

Tristan 15/15

Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 10/15 (base + spear 2h 1 + dragon spear + double crit = 5)

Wolf 2 15/15

The faintest hint of a smile tugged at the corners of Lessa pale pink lips. "A nice way to start things out," she commented, clearly impressed. Then, she reached back and drew her own weapon. The glowing pink steel slid along the sheath with a satisfying metallic sound. The young woman focused her efforts on the weaker of the two wolves. The sooner she put one down, the better. That way, they would have fewer enemies to keep track of.

Her boot slid a bit on the damp grass as she shoved off. There was not much distance between herself and the shaggy beast, but she was still able to pick up the necessary speed to land her attack. A strange sensation crawled up her fingers, and settled in the palms of her hands. It felt warm. Her gauntlets were guiding her. Thank goodness for improved accuracy, she found herself thinking.

The heavy blade tore across the wolf's side, and her smile grew as its health bar took another dramatic hit.

{Rolled a 4 on the d10 dice. +3 accuracy from gauntlets = 7. Lessa deals 5 damage to Wolf 1 - base, +2 Hell Rose, +2 two-handed skill.}

Tristan: 15/15

Lessa: 17/17

Wolf 1: 5/15

Wolf 2: 15/15

The first wolf cried in pain, now dramatically close to very low health. They barked, though it sounded more like a yelp from their profuse bleeding. Nevertheless, they bared their fangs.

The wolf came straight at Tristan and bit their leg, to which he replied with a "Aaaah ya censored!".

The second wolf, still unharmed too this opportunity to attack Lessa, running at her full speed with a flying bite attack towards her shoulder.

Rolled a 6 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Luckily for Less a, her armour shrugged off the damage. It just made him painfully aware why he needed some armour that she would craft.

Tristan 12/15

Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 5/15

Wolf 2 15/15

Tristan reacted quickly in reflex from having used spears a lot. He knew if he was forced to wield swords, which he was unfamiliar with, he'd be screwed.

Tristan rammed the butt of the spear into the first wolf to remove them from their leg and span around to attack the second wolf which attacked Lessa. He didn't give a toss if one was easier to kill, he said he would protect her, which he will.

With the spin, Tristan thrust out the spear with accuracy to the side of the wolf.

Rolled a 6 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The spear ripped into their side and latched to their leg, from which Tristan flung the wold away and off their spear. He took a few breaths to recover, paying close attention to their movements.

"I think you can see now why some armour would be handy." He jested, as he ignored the pain in his leg, where the clothes were beginning to stain red.

Tristan 12/15

Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 5/15

Wolf 2 12/15

Lessa winced as she watched her companion take damage. "Right," she agreed, nodding. "We will get you some armor, I promise. Until then, just do your best to stay behind me. I can hold them off until you feel ready to keep fighting."

Stepping in front of Tristan, Lessa put herself in the direct path of the oncoming enemy. The weaker of the two wolves, enraged by its wounds, was making the first attack this time. Fine by me, she thought with a smirk.

The creature lunged toward her, claws exposed, ready to take a piece out of her. She brought up her sword. Then, her gauntlets began to give off a faint pink glow. Her hands grew warm within them. Their increased accuracy was kicking in, and helping her lead her weapon to the best spot. The beast landed squarely on her blade, and burst into data. It rained down upon the pair.

{Rolled a 3 on the battle die. +3 accuracy from gauntlets = 6. Lessa deals 5 damage - base, +2 Hell Rose, +2 two-handed skill.}

Tristan 12/15

Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 DEAD

Wolf 2 12/15

[Lessa receives one material.]

Tristan shot her a look as he stepped around her so she wasn't in front.

"Hey now, as long as I'm not dead, I don't care what happens to me. I promised I'd protect you too, so at least let me do that. I want to help you too you know, even if that ends up as a perpetual cycle of helping each other."

As if mindreading, the second wolf ran and charged straight at Lessa, fangs bared and ready to bite them.

Rolled a 2 on the d4 dice.

Rolled a 3 on the d6 dice.

Rolled a 8 on the d8 dice.

Rolled a 6 on the d12 (craft) dice.

Rolled a 17 on the d20 (loot) dice.[/10]

The path to their face also got dangerously close, until Tristan shot his spear out at high speed and knocked the wolf completely out of orbit.

He smiled at Lessa "I know you want me safe, but I want the same. So instead of carrying all the burden, which you're trying to do right now, let's work together as a pair. You know we'll never finish SAO if we have people trying to carry all that burden alone."

Tristan 12/15

Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 DEAD

Wolf 2 7/15

The blonde's eyes narrowed a bit as her companion spoke. "I meant no disrespect," she countered. "I merely recognize that you are a lower level, and still learning. I refuse to let you risk your life while I am here. There are other ways to train your skills than simply throwing yourself into danger." 

As Lessa was addressing the boy, the remaining wolf had moved up alongside her. Before she knew what was happening, the wolf lunged. Out of the corner of her eye, Lessa saw the blur. She threw her arm out, letting the wolf's jaws snap close on her gauntlets. The beast's claws scraped helplessly along her solid breastplate. With a growl of her own, she threw the wolf to the ground. Then, she turned back to Tristan.

"However," she continued, "I do appreciate your fighting spirit. I shall do my best to keep from interfering again."

{Rolled a 1 on the d10 battle die. Wolf deals 0 damage - +3 damage mitigation from Lessa's breastplate.}

Tristan 12/15
Lessa 17/17

Wolf 1 DEAD
Wolf 2 7/15