[PP-F9] Let's get Thrashed (Complete)

Despite the foul mood of the involved parties, spirits always lifted when there was alcohol involved. Or, Alkor had heard as much said, once. He led Life into the tavern not far from his shop on the ninth floor, many above the events that had occurred several hours prior.

It had been a sour, silent trek for both men, and in spite of both their stubbornness, the thirst had set in. Alkor held up his hand for the barkeep to open a tab, and the Col spilled from his inventory like a river flows downstream.

"You know how to make some friends," Alkor remarked glumly as the NPC slid a tankard of ale across the counter to him. It filled his waiting hand and followed through into his gullet. "Tell me, Life, what gets a low level player wanting to kill a nice guy like you?"

It was a legitimate question, though he didn't expect Life to want to reply. He sipped gingerly at the ale for a long moment, then decided to change the subject. "You wanted to talk guild business," Alkor stated, giving the other man room to speak freely."

L ordered himself his own tankard, he didn't normally drink but this was a special occasion. When Alkor asked him why they wanted him dead he just answered it to himself many people want me dead.. Alkor changed the subject before he came up with something he felt like sharing. Business, finally something he was good at "Yes, seeing as Lessa and yourself are so highly regarded by myself and the Rahoul our leader, we decided that an alliance would do both our Guilds good" There was still something pressing on his mind but he wasn't sure if he should bring it up at the present time. "I know it's been awhile and to others I might seem like a different person but I am still the same" He sighed for a moment and took a long swig at the ale, his once amber eyes gleaming red "We have many plans for the future, the Crimson Inquisition would like to continue to grow in power and numbers. As we grow in power so will the guardian of Aincrad" He began to play around with a red diamond and a red beryl he had found on floor four once he finished off avalanche.

"I judge a man by the things he does, not the way he looks or what people say about him." Alkor drank deeply and his eyes slipped shut, still bristling from the strange, haunting words of the player on the first floor. Though he hadn't remained to hear the rest of what she had to say, he knew his message had been received. Hopefully, there would be no threat of more Mavericks in the future of Aincrad.

"Experience molds us," Alkor told Life, "but in our hearts, we remain who we are." When he glanced over at the conflicted youth, speaking about their guilds and growing together, Alkor smirked. "You know," he said, placing the tankard down on the bar. "I've never been a very social person. Being in a guild was never in my initial plan."

The warmth in his cheeks and the stink of alcohol on his breath belied the reason behind the extrapolation on his character. "Things happen. We make choices. Life goes on." He held Life's intense gaze with his own, soft and thoughtful, yet piercing eyes. "I can't speak for what direction Lessa intends to take. It's her guild. I can say, however, that she trusts you all. Don't betray that trust. She has a good heart."

After speaking his peace, Alkor lifted his ale once more. "As for me, I intend to take to the Front Lines as soon as possible, with as many players behind me as are willing to face them." He smiled fondly. "Lessa and the others want to train newer, weaker players to become Front Liners," he said, "but all I can do is fight."

He sighed, slightly frustrated "I guess i'll have to talk with Lessa later then" He nibbled the bottom of his lip with his fang like tooth before finishing his Ale. "I'll have another" The bartender placed it firmly in front of him shaking his head that such a young person is drinking. It was only a game anyway. "Im not sure if Lessa would like our Rahouls plans, but we don't mean any harm at all" He stopped unsure what to say next. He took his gems and placed them on the table. He put one in the north, one in the south, one in the east and one in the west. In the centre was a gold medallion and inside the boundaries of the four corners he placed straw everywhere. "Im not too sure what the Rahoul wants exactly but he want's the first floor to look a little something like this" It was the only hint he was going to give but it was as much as he knew either way. He wiped it all of the table and sighed. "Nevermind" He drooped down and sipped his Ale slightly depressed. 

Alkor stared blankly at the anecdotal representation of the first floor, as told by jewelry, and once Life finished speaking, he blinked. "Right colorful aesthetic, isn't it?" The chestnut haired youth ran a hand through his messy locks and glanced off into the distance. "I've got to apologize, I'm not the best at finding hidden meanings in things. I'm not the subtle type."

It was a half-truth; Alkor had been a student of strategy for a long time, though he did lack some of the finesse the more secretive types seemed to prefer. It made them predictable in the very same way it made them difficult to pin down. Honesty was it's own form of brutality. Alkor had nothing to hide.

"But, if I'm following any of your explanation- and I'm probably missing the mark by far- if your gems are some sort of representation, they cover the entirety of the floor, sort of like a compass. Don't know why, or what they stand for..." Alkor stared into his cup, not wanting to consider the implications, "but I can tell you, it's probably not going to go over well with any of the players, not just Lessa."

He ran a finger around the lip of his mug. "You can make huge plans and skirt the surface of a concept without ever toppling the careful balance," Alkor stated, "but the moment you start to push," he said, sending the mug toppling over with no apparent effort. The ale spilled over the counter, and the barkeep yelled out a string of curses.

Several moments passed, the spill was cleaned, and Alkor had a new drink poured for him. "Chaos," the gold-eyed player said simply. His gaze never left the counter, now returned to austerity. "And for what?"

A weak chuckle escaped the beleaguered player. "Focus on getting stronger," Alkor told Life. "In the end, the only one you can rely on is yourself. No amount of planning or scheming is going to beat this game. Only hard work and determination will see us through."

"As for me," Alkor said after a moment, "I don't care what happens on the first floor. That's a world I've left behind." It was a brutal statement, and one that Life might not have expected from the "esteemed" Alkor. "So long as you mean no players harm, you'll never hear a thing from me."

At the same time, the veiled threat was there. If you kill any players, I will find you.

L stared blankly for a moment contemplating the weight of what was to come. He understood every word that was given and gave a soft sigh leaning back slightly. His face relaxed slightly as he remembered back to his and Argumails agreement, if anything unexpected was to come from this or that didn't fit his ideals he was to abandon them. "You and me are much alike.." He stopped for a moment unsure of how to continue. "To be completely honest i never wanted to Join the Crimson Inquisition and i don't plan on staying with them until the end, Argumail knows this much but he insists on making me stay now that i have joined. There's something not right about all this.." He relaxed slightly as he thought, his natural expression was a dead and cold one with a faint frown as his dark chocolate hair now visually black in the dark fell down the middle of his face. "If worse comes to worse i know i'll be on my own, regardless of what happens. I never put faith in anyone but myself" He went to take a sip at his Ale when he felt a sharp pain in his head, his hands shaking subtly he put the tankard down and grabbed onto the sides of his head. He looked around the room, the once lively room was now dead and everyones bodies covered the walls in a gorey manner. He blinked and his visions had subsided once again. "Ugh... sorry about that.." He rested his arm on the table by his elbow and went for a frantic swig at the Ale.

Alkor sipped at his drink and shrugged. "You don't drink much," he observed. He couldn't have known what was going on in the other boy's mind, nor did he intend to pry. "Nothing to apologize for."

Once he'd drained the mug and slid it to one side, Alkor combed his fingers through his hair and considered Life's words. "If you don't feel comfortable with the path you're on, make a new path," Alkor stated simply. "Destiny is an abstract concept, and not at all fluid. The only certain thing is that everything is uncertain."

He was uncertain himself, mostly of how to offer the youth advice. "No one can make you do anything you don't want to do," he said after several moments of introspection. "It all falls back to free will. If you don't want something, you fight it."

Alkor sighed. "Lessa is just interested in the good of the people on Aincrad," he told Life. "If nothing else, you've got to admire that spirit."

He nodded wearily, still set off uncomfortably by his images. He hadn't had one in a while, it was a good reminder. He whispered almost silently "I don't want to kill anyone.." He gazed deeply into the crimson stone he held in his hand snapping out of his gaze once Alkor had mentioned Lessa "Yeah.. she does have a beautiful heart and spirit.." one to take A voice hummed maniacally inside his head, it was a deep and murderous voice, it was that same voice of the fiend he had met after the battle with avalanche. Maybe he should tell Alkor..? He shook his head slowly. "How's buissness? I heard you opened up a shop near here" He refocused his vision on his golden eyes, they helped to keep him focused, it seemed as though all the blood had retreated from Life's face. 

With a nod, Alkor confirmed Life's statement. "Yeah," he offered offhand, "tailoring. I do all sorts of work. Though, I haven't gotten very much business yet." It was more of a throwaway topic than anything else. L himself didn't seem very interested. "Are you alright? You're going pale."

Alkor had sat up by now and was watching intently to be sure the other man didn't simply fall out. While he had his own dark secrets, Alkor couldn't even begin to imagine what was plaguing Life. It was rare, in the safe zone, to see someone afflicted by poison or taking damage. Rare, but not completely impossible.

"Should I go grab an antidote?" Alkor seemed fidgety after several moments, uncomfortable at the prospect of his drinking buddy fainting.

Glancing away for a moment, Alkor wondered about his time in SAO. It was nothing like home. Here, he could talk to people, and understand them better, and they treated him with a sort of reverent kindness he had never experienced in the real world. It was almost intoxicating.

He shook his head slowly "No no I'm fine.. it's probably just the Ale" He lied through his teeth and pushed the tankard away slightly to make it seem more believable. "Im in need of a new coat.." He stopped and took in a deep breathe, the scent of the pub wasn't exactly doing any wonders for his condition. "Do you mind if we step outside for a bit?" He walked outside and stretched allowing his mind to clear for a moment. 

He took a deeper breathe and allowed the fresh air to clear his mind as he looked up to the night sky, letting his eyes wander up a bit more he could see the bottom of floor ten, it wasn't a complete night sky but it was good enough. "Im in need of a new coat, the one i have on now isn't going to cut it" it had some sentimental value but sentimental value wasn't all that important when it came to life or death. "I was thinking something like a long jet black coat of some sort to go over my light plated metal" He was in actual fact very serious, despite not levelling leather armour, a coat would not take away from his actual armour underneath. 

The smoke that billowed up from the crater stifled the sky and made the air acrid, but Alkor enjoyed the atmosphere no less. When he followed Life out of the bar, he wondered why the man would seek "fresh air" in Vulcan Town. "A coat," Alkor repeated. "I could probably do a coat."

The shorter player moved himself toward the railing that hung between literal life and death on the town's edge. He draped his arms over and leaned back against it. "Did you want it to have some sort of stat increase?" Alkor inquired, "or were you just looking for something cosmetic?"

He thought long about it "I was thinking about how good the evasion stat was. A plus two to evasion and a plus one to accuracy would be amazing for battles"He smirked and looked at Alkor casually, he was feeling a lot better."I was thinking of calling it the Nightmare cloak, think you could do it?" He scratched the back of this head and sat down on the rocks, the tavern seemed to be placed on a cliff looking over the whole floor, it was a spectacular view. “I think... It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.. wouldn't you agree?.†He was once again lost in thought as he stared blankly over the 9th floor 

An hour had passed since she had left Asagi. She had needed that much time to walk along the busy streets, clearing her mind and coming to terms with what had happened. She had met someone from the outside world. Someone from her past. Someone who had called her Alyssa. It had been a very long time since she had been Alyssa. The sound of it had startled her, and made her homesick and nauseous at the same time.

But once she had finally calmed down, there was only one thing she wanted to do - check on Alkor. The side of him that he showed in the tavern had been one she had never seen before. It had terrified her. True, she had been afraid of him. But she had also been afraid for him. Something had made him snap, and she was wanted to make sure that he was alright.

The first place she visited was his shop. It was closed, but she was notified that he was nearby. It did not take long for her to find him after that. Even from behind, she recognized Life sitting beside him.

Moving up behind them, she said, "I really do hate this floor."

L heard a gentle feminine voice behind him, he turned his head to look at where the voice was coming from and there she stood. "Lessa..." He was still lost in thought. He was gone for a good few months, no one had said a word nor did anyone seem to care. "It's good to see you again.. im sorry about before" Though he would never speak about what he had experienced inside the frozen crypts he simply looked away afraid she would despise him by the way he acted and the change in the way he looked. He never really did spend much time with Lessa before but he felt close to her, almost like she was a mother.

"You are what you are," Alkor agreed, "and only you can change that."

There was a finality in the statement that felt almost cryptic; Alkor had a knack for leaving a chill beneath his words that set in like frost on an early winter morning.

When Lessa spoke, the spell broke. Alkor glanced up at her words, about hating the ninth floor, and he snorted. "It's quiet here," he contested. "Not like the lower floors. People everywhere."

Despite the relative discomfort that came with being on the humidity lacking ninth floor, there was a peace that existed nowhere else on Aincrad. It made Alkor smirk, the irony in the old addage. "It's lonely at the top."

"Seems you found us alright," Alkor spoke to Lessa without the pretense of greeting, as they'd foregone formality.

"Hi, L," the woman replied, dropping onto the rock beside him. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on her legs. "And you don't need to apologize. If anything, I should be the one apologizing. Asagi is someone that I know from..." she hesitated. What was the correct term? The real world? Her old life? Home? "... outside of Sword Art Online. I had no idea that he was going to show up, and it really shook me up seeing him here." Did she have to explain why it bothered her so much? Or did the two men in her company understand? She figured that they did.

"He's a real character," she continued. "Honestly, we did not really get along that well. We knew each other, and we weren't enemies or anything, but we were not best friends either. We were just classmates who occasionally worked together or said hi in the hallways. His personality is a bit over the top, even for me. He's a bit too forward, and even obnoxious at times." Lessa took the opportunity to glance up at Alkor. "And, as I'm sure you witnessed, he has a tendency to attract similar types of people."

Alkor shrugged. "I only know of one friend of mine who showed up in this game," he remarked. "And I hope that it's a solitary case." Obviously, though it was something of a comfort to have familiar things, Alkor wouldn't have wished SAO on his worst enemy. A game of death was hard to handle.

He had nothing to add, because from what he'd seen, her real world friend was just like she'd said. A real piece of work. "It happens," he said. That was true, too. There were many people who just sprouted up like weeds and invited similar people to do the same. Usually, those people had very little worthwhile to contribute. Alkor had seen instances where that wasn't the case, but he never held his breath for repeat occurrences.

"That's not why you came here, I hope," Alkor added after a few seconds. He didn't want to talk about what had just happened. In fact, he really hadn't even wanted to leave the bar yet. "Do we have any plans to assault the floor boss, yet?"

He let the question fall on delicate ears, both thumbs looped through belt loops at his waist. Alkor had been getting antsy for a while now, but this was the first time he'd ever voiced it. "Someone needs to get the front line effort back off the ground."

L listened attentively to both of them, he knew there would always be people like Lessas friend, they were just people you had to brush off, you just had to see them as worthless either way and think nothing of it, like it was below them. He looked off in the distance, his face was expressionless again. The hot wind blew against his cold pale cheeks warming it, his rested expression holding a faint frown "Some times there's nothing you can do about them i guess. I also had a friend who was supposed to be in this game.. but.. he was never a forthright person and suffered from his mind quietly. He eventually couldn't take the madness anymore and jumped off the side of floor one.. I never even knew.." He got up slowly and dusted himself off, the fur of his coat bristling against his cheek "Lets go back inside shall we.. Now you're here we can discuss business. You're fine with drinking right Lessa?" He didn't want to sound too pressing or rude, but it was important, her involvement with the Crimson Inquisition or not determined a road in his path. He looked down at Alkor when he started talking "I would be happy to join you all on the front lines.. i think I'm strong enough now.." He thought back to when they first met, talking about how badly he wanted to join the font lines and get stronger, now it was a reality and he would beat this cursed game. "I've been away too long, it's about time i contributed" He gripped the pummel of this blade tightly, he always had it on him especially for floors like these.

"No, that wasn't why I came here," Lessa told him, speaking slowly. She was doing her best to keep the emotion from her voice, as Alkor was frustrating her a bit. First, he had made a scene in the tavern, which was strange because she had no idea why he had even been there. And when she had showed up to check on him, all he had been able to do was pester her about the ninth floor boss. He was like a child who would not stop asking the same question, and his one-track mind was beginning to wear her down. "We aren't ready for the floor boss, Alkor. We'll get there. But we're not ready."

Then, she turned Life. "I could drink you both under the table," came her retort, but it was tired, and much of the humor was lost. Though she had just sat down, she climbed back onto her feet. If they were moving, she would follow. There were things that the three of them needed to discuss anyway.

He swept into the bar quickly after her response, hailing for another drink. The bartender was swift to answer, and soon, Alkor was nursing another mug as the two others crowded a table beside him.

"Alright," he said after downing about half his drink in one go. "Now, you can talk to the guild leader directly." He looked over at Life. "That way, you can get the answers you're looking for. Kanpai," he said, raising his ale.

Alkor took the last of his amber brew to the head, then slammed the mug on the table. "If you don't need me," he said with a glance toward Lessa, "I'll be on my way." In truth, Alkor didn't like or want any part of these political meetings. He just came for the drinks.