I was thinking this- materials are quite the issue when it comes to shopkeepers trying to keep up with their customer's needs. Not all customers pay with materials and surely materials don't come out of nowhere. That's where my idea comes up. A Supply Guild. Creating a Supply Guild is hard to keep and takes a lot of work, of course. The guild fights monsters, clears dungeons, finds treasures, and finishes quests in order for them to get mats. The amount of mats they get, let's say they get 50 mats, will be more than enough to trade with quite a few shopkeepers such as tailors and blacksmiths, since they are the ones controlling the shop businesses these days. Merchants can finally come into use as they enter this guild and sell those materials for shopkeepers that are willing to pay. Players can also trade by giving in the materials they got to help out the Supply Guild in exchange for some money. Pretty simple.  As for shopkeepers, the of course will pay for mats rather than go and get them on their own because...well....they need to use as much time as possible in finishing the customer's order. 

That's the point, I was looking at the list of jobs that I could do in the quest <<Earn A Living>> and I noticed that Merchants don't really have a lot of value. This is where they actually become valuable, but it takes an entire guild to be working beside them. That's why its one of the most challenging guilds to have and work on since you need players who are willing to fight every day in search of materials they could sell.