[PP - F4] A Wary encounter (Kosan And Mari)

It was a snowy day on floor 4... Kosan was wandering on that floor a lot lately ... He wasn't a fan of coldness , but this place reminded him of most things .. He was barely walking just watching the sky , looking at the snow that was falling down over his eyes ... He felt sick , he didn't know what to do ... He wasn't sure who can he trust anymore ... He was feeling like a stranger in this world for the first time ... "I don't know why Mari was like that ... I wish i would see her again .. talk about what happened ... But now she wants me dead ..." he said as he passed a bench where someone pink-haired sat ...  "Hello ... What are you doing here alone ..?" he asked the person , not watching who it was ... 

Mari was on a bench, outside the safe zone; she was absently cleaning her violin with a cloth, carefully wiping it up and down, she had taken the strings off - to get at each part of it. The action was pointless really. Mari didn't need to clean it. She could just un-equip it and it'd turn back into the sphere of symphony. Then, when she wanted to use it again - it'd reappear as though brand new.  She glanced up when she heard a voice asking why she was alone. It was Kosan. Did he realize who he was talking to.

"You of all people should know that." She muttered, lowering her eyes to focus on her meaningless task again.

As he heard a known voice he muttered .."..M...Mari ?" as he lowered his eyes to her ... "S..sorry ...I didn't knew who it was ... Well ... I should've guessed you're the one who sat here.. ... I mean , i don't know many persons with Pink hair ..And you like snow after all.. " he added ... "Why are you cleaning that Violin ... Wait ... Why do you own a violin ..? Are you a performer ?..." he asked as he said to himself .."Crap ... Mari wanted me dead ... Doesn't ... Doesn't she wants that anymore ?" as he watched her .... "Are you waiting for someone ..?" he asked as he sat next to her ... "..or just thinking about something ...?" . He felt like she was still "asleep" in that ugly dream where she was a monster..... 

"Not very perceptive are you." Mari muttered, she ignored his question about why she was cleaning the violin; and only gave a small nod in reply as he asked if hse was a performer. "Doesn't make much Col." Mari muttered as she began restringing the violin. Last she saw Kosan she had threatened to take his life. Mari wasn't angry right now so didn't feel such a need; but she was definitely still not right; she didn't want to be around others. 

"Why would I be waiting for anyone?" She snapped.

"I ..I don't know ... " he said in a low tone as the answer to the question why would she wait for anyone ... He felt better seeing Mari doesn't really plan on killing him now ... But Kosan was scared ... He didn't knew why Mari acted like that that day ... "Sorry.." he added as he watched her restring the violin .. "Listen Mari ... I don't know why you were so angry that day ... I would like to apologize for hugging you and everything ... " he said as he knew he did something bad remembering her of that day ... "I just... Well , i just kinda care about you .. And i don't like to see you crying ... Sorry again ..." he said as he added ... "But ... Why you wanted to kill me ..." he added as he felt like [censored] asking someone that kind of question.

Kosan apologized; for his stupid questions and for his actions on that day. Mari let him speak, his voice timid, shaken. Mari contemplated making a snippy remark about how he couldn't handle the cold weather, but bit her tongue on the matter. She didn't feel like bothering with such banter. Just say the bare minimum, and he will eventually go away. That was what she told herself, Kosan mentioned hugging her; and at that moment Mari had finished cleaning the violin. She held it up to inspect it before turning her blue eyes to give him a cold, harsh stare.

"Why? Maybe I got pissed that you didn't listen to my warnings. Or maybe I just felt like it. Count yourself lucky I don't feel like it now." She placed the violin gently in her lap, soft fingers caressing its surface as her next words weren't as cold. "I'm not the Mari you knew."

"No ... You're right .. You're not the Mari i knew ... But you're still Mari ... Even if you changed , you're my friend ... My guild leader ... " he said as he watched her ..."Sorry .." he added as he got up ... "I feel like .. You basically don't want me near you ... " as he watched Mari in her eyes ... "You don't want anyone near you ..." he said as he sat again near her ... "But you are still my friend , either you like it or not ... But tell me if you dont like being friends with me.... " he added as he leaned his head backwards watching the sky ... "It's a nice day ... It's snowing so calmly .. .." he added as he watched the sky . He wanted to know everything ... But he felt like he shouldn't ask anything ..

On phone at work will format at home

"of course I am still Mari, what kind of absurd statement is that?" She gave an annoyed 'tch'

"I don't want anyone near me," she confirmed, watching him stand only to sit back down, closer to her. Mari edged away. "Do that again and you'll find my blade in your throat." She threatened.

"Eh? Tell you what? Spit it out, if you're going to bother me at least have the balls to say what you planned to say, don't waste my time like that."

"Do i want to get myself killed ...?" he said as he watched her threatening him."Sorry ..." Kosan said as he moved a little bit away from Mari

"I meant ... If you don't like being my friend tell me that you don't like it ...." he said as he looked away ... "I ... still care about you Mari ... so even if you consider yourself a monster you are still my friend so ... Don't do anything stupid..." he said as his icy blue eyes looked at her .... "Please...he said almost like begging her ....

"Tch..." Mari turned her head away from Kosan, making an annoyed sound. He said that he still cared about Mari, and for a moment, just a small moment her demeanour seemed to soften, as she contemplated his words. He sounded so genuine, and worried. Mari's head was still turned away from Kosan, although her eyes darted over to him. Cooly assessing him. Was he serious? Why was he attempting to console her?

An image of Life, and his warm smile flashed before her mind, of how he had tried to do the same. How he had consoled Mari, before chewing her out, and treating her like the absolute garbage she felt she was. Mari stiffened her posture again. Like he really cared. He was probably just like Life. They all were. Liars. Cheaters. Manipulators and Users. Her Ex, Uriel, Life....they were all no different.

"I wouldn't hurt myself." She said finally. "If that is what you are implying."

When Kosan saw her turning her head away , he thought to himself ... "Crap ... hope she isn't mad at me now..." as he heard her saying that she wouldn't hurt herself .. "That's not what i meant ..." he said as he opened his inventory searching for some food ... He had some always prepared from their last meeting when they sat alone in a cave during a snow storm on this same floor ... "I meant it like , ... Don't force yourself ... Don't try to ... Just... be careful okay ?... If i wouldn't care about you , i would've not stopped to talk with you ... Even if you threatened me last time we met , i still care about you ... I don't know yet why or what happened to you ... Life even came to my shop ... he seemed ... like he had amnesia .. He didn't remembered anything from that day ..." he said as he asked her while pouring some hot tea into 2 cups .. "Want some ?... I've got my lesson from the last time we got ..closed up in that cave .. Better to always have some provision ready..." he said to Mari , who seemed annoyed by his presence there as he smiled to her...

Mari gave a bitter laugh. "I'm not forcing myself to do anything Kosan." Her look soured when Kosan mentioned Life. Her voice was filled with vittirol and hatred. "He's lying." She hissed. She had to clench her fists, visibly shaking with rage at the mention of Life's name. How dare Kosan mention Life, speak as though he knew the boy. "He's adept at manipulation, at deception. Don't let him trick you ." 

Kosan offered her a cup of tea but Mari seemed more agitated now than she did before. "No." she said, not even bothering to reject him nicely.

When he heard Mari saying that she won't force herself doing anything stupid he felt better.. Mari also said that Life is a trickster and a liar.. "Y..you might be right" he said as he watched her.. "Hey Mari... mind if you told me what happened ..? Why you think of yourself as a monster..?.. Why are you acting like this ...?" ... He didn't meant to insult her.. He was just curious..

Mari scoffed. "am right." She sighed when Kosan questioned her about what had happened. "If you wanted to know, you should have said; right from the start. None of this beating around the bush s**t."  Mari told Kosan about everything that had happened. What had occurred in that cave with Life, how beforehand he had up and left her - stating that he had loved her and could no longer be around her, and the events that Kosan himself had bore witness to. Mari was careful to discuss the scenarios, in vivid detail. But her voice? It was void of emotion. As though she was sick and tired of recalling the events. She ended with a heavy sigh.

"This isn't an act. It is who I am."

"L..Life did all that to you...?" He asked her with his voice trembling.... "I .. I should've killed him there.." He said as he looked up at the sky... "Hey..Mari.. I am sorry .. I.. I didn't knew he did all that to you.. " he stopped for a second.. " But what ever you say , this is not the Mari I knew.." He added.. He was unsure of how to react..Life was the cause of all this... He just let him be alive , but now Kosan wished he would've just end his life when he had the chance...

(sorry didn't realize there was a reply to this)

Mari gave a small nod, as he questioned what Life did. When Kosan mentioned that he should have killed Life Mari shook her head. "If you did, I probably would have killed you." She said simply. Turning her blue gaze toward him, as Kosan looked up at the sky.  He again, mentioned that she wasn't the Mari he once knew, she shrugged off the comment.

"Would you be the same after all that?"

"Heh.. I would be happy if you would've killed me after I killed the man that did all that to you.." He said , his blue eyes turning back at Mari.. Then he heard her asking if he would be the same.. "No but.." He stopped , thinking it so he wouldn't get hurt.. "But I wouldn't change so much towards the one I care about..." He added as he watched her , blue eyes staring into hers... "So yeah... Seems that it would be better if I leaved ... Right ?..."

"Tch." It was all Mari said to Kosan when he said he'd be happy with her killing him. Someone so willing to give their life up like that? It was foolish. She didn't tell him what she thought in that regard. Kosan mentioned that he wouldn't change so much toward the one he cared about, and her throats drifted back to Alkor. Mari shifted her gaze to the snowy plains before her. What would he say?

"I care for very few people Kosan." 

"I stopped caring about people..." He added as he heard her saying that she cares about very few.. "So yeah..." He added as he got up and started walking to the nearest tree , breaking few branches , then coming back to the bench where they were sitting.. He made a fire as he didn't really enjoyed cold places.."uhm.." He cleared his throat as he continued what he started earlier.. "That could make me inhuman... To stop caring ... I don't even care about myself that much anymore..." He said as he was watching the fire roaring...

Mari wasn't sure what to feel to hear that Kosan had stopped caring about people. He seemed so eager and full of life when she first met him. Oh how quickly he had deteriorated. Sullen blue eyes watched as he left her side, absently breaking branches, returning and starting a fire. He had done well, picking the most brittle and dry sticks and twigs. That careful calculation proved fruitful. As moments later, a fire sprang to life at their feet. The warmth licking at her legs. 

It was Kosan, who broke the tepid silence between the two. "It's a coping mechanism." Mari said simply. "It doesn't make one inhuman."