[OP-F2] <<Earning a Living>> The Alchemist Rises [COMPLETE]

Raeyliff teleported to Floor 2 and walked to the Town Square before sitting down to start thinking of plans on how he'd become an Alchemist. It's been on his mind for a couple of weeks, but now he'd finally make it his profession. A battle-axe heavy armored tank player that has a nice little alchemy shop at Floor 1 or 2 to sell his strawberry-flavored health potions. Sounds awesome. Not to mention that it would help you a lot to know about different herbs and ingredients and how they can help out. he thought. But he couldn't just go out and start looking for herbs. He needed some help, some players to guide the way for him to finally get the profession. He'd pay them back later for their kindness, of course, and for helping him out. Now wasn't the time to think about what he was going to give them, though. He stood up and started walking around the Town Square, looking at the ground while thinking aloud. "Who can I bring with me..." he said, not realizing that he was actually saying it out loud.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Azide cruised casually through town, having just wrapped up some business on the second floor. "Well, I'm now the proud owner of a newly forged rapier," he thought. "What to do next?" He glanced around and watched as both NPC's and players alike roamed the town square, although most seemed to be either engaged in their own business, or appeared to be otherwise occupied. There were stray players hustling along in the streets, couples who dined at small tables and made conversation, and players conversing with NPC's for either quests or information. "It's not quite the bustling metropolis that the Town of Beginnings can claim to be, but it certainly seems busy today." Bored out of his mind, Azide's ears were quick to pick up the voiced contemplations from somewhere nearby. He shifted his eyes and spotted a player of a somewhat shorter stature sitting on a bench, and decided to walk on over. Now that he was closer, he was able to spot what appeared to be a battle axe on the player, who upon closer inspection looked rather lean and quite muscular actually.

"Hey," called Azide. "Wherever you're headed, I want in."

Raeyliff slowed turned around to look at the player behind him and took a closer look at him, trying to recognize him before shaking his head a little, thinking to himself, before smiling. "I haven't seen you before, have I? My name's Raeyliff. Pleased to meet you." He put out his hand for Azide so that they can shake hands. Wherever you're headed, I want in....what did he mean? How did he know...? He looked at Azide, realizing that there was something that he didn't understand. "How did you know that I was planning to go somewhere or do something?" he asked. Even if it was that I was walking around, deep in thought, it could've been about anything. Still though, that doesn't matter as much as how much I need him. He'll be able to easily help me out get some materials to start off my alchemy journey. We can now go forward...or wait for one more person. he thought. 

Azide reached out and took Raeyliff's hand in his own, shaking it once in a manner that was both precise and elegant, though unlikely to be noticed by anyone other than himself. A calculating and collected individual, Azide was quite the perfectionist at heart, even in these more trivial ways.

He smiled in a way that was not quite a smile, but rather a simple upturn of the lips. He drew his arm back, then slid it back into his pockets. "My name's Azide, and I couldn't help but overhear that you were looking to bring someone along with you for something. I'll admit I haven't the slightest clue on where you plan to go, but you sounded like you were looking for someone." He gestured at himself. "And here I am." Azide brought a hand up to his face and brushed away a few stray strands of hair from his eyes.

"I'm still assuming you came here with the intention of traveling somewhere else, but might I ask what it was that you had planned?"

Raeyliff nodded. "Indeed. I have something in mind." he said, before smiling, letting go of Azide's hand after they shook hands. "I'm planning- sorry, I will be an alchemist starting from today. I have been planning and thinking about it for a while and I have realized that I gotta do something or else I'll find myself only thinking and not really doing anything. And that isn't always the best thing to do." he said. Running a hand through his hair, Raeyliff looked around before looking back at Azide. "It's just that it's hard to find someone who is actually a professional alchemist around much these few days that can help people like me grow to become successful alchemists. But....since you are so eager to help out, I can't refuse. Do you think you can help me become an alchemist?" he asked, looking Azide dead in the eyes. He need to express his seriousness and determination of the matter, because if he didn't learn alchemy the right way he might fail or get hurt, and he wasn't planning for that to happen anytime soon.

Azided nodded, giving pause to take Raeyliff's words into consideration, stroking his chin while doing so. After a brief moment of silence, he looked back at Raeyliff and met his gaze. "I can tell this must be important to him," he thought as he noted the deadpan look in his eyes. "I'd expect a strong guy like him to express an interest in smithing, but never judge a book by it's cover, I suppose." He lowered his hand back to his side, then answered to player. "Planning and thinking are two things that hold a special place in my heart." He chuckled. "But sometimes, enough is enough, and then comes the time to act. As it turns out, I'm interested in alchemy myself- so I'd be more than happy to do all that I can to assist you. Maybe someday we can even work together to supply this world with the potions it so desperately needs. But in the meantime, where do we start, Raeyliff?"

Raeyliff laughed. "That's the million dollar question. What I would do is go talk to the nearest Apothecary shop around here, everyone knows that alchemists open Apothecary shops for potions and such. From there I think he'll tell us where to go to get the materials to craft out my first potion, and from there I'll hopefully learn the basics of alchemy." he said, looking at Azide. "What do you think?" Of course, the basics of alchemy aren't going to be enough for me. Health potions that heal you up 10%, then 25%, then 50%, then 75%, then 100%. Creating different types of potions, potions of strength, invisibility...alchemy is limitless. Unlike blacksmiths and tailors, there's still so much to create in the alchemist's point of view and ideas  that no one has come across before. Interesting...to adapt this new form of thinking, this feeling of never ending eagerness to discover more and create more and craft new things no one has ever seen before. To have the name Raeyliff heard far and wide whenever a man asks for an alchemist...that, that is my hopes for the future. Because that's when I'll know that alchemy has risen again to its ancient power. he thought, eager and excited to start. 

Azide nodded in agreement, taking notice of the practicality and sensibility in that plan. "That sounds like the right idea to me," he answered. He brought a hand behind his head and began to lightly massage the crook where his neck met the base of his skull, glancing up at the sky while doing so. He tried to remember where he'd last seen an apothecary shop around here, and after taking a moment to recall the detail, snapped his fingers together. His eyes lit with delight and he shot an excited glance at Raeyliff. "It just so happens I know just that sort of place," he said at last. "I passed an NPC's apothecary shop on my way over to a smithing forge the other day- it's not too far away from here. Unfortunately, player alchemists seem to be in short supply, but those NPC's do tend to know their stuff. I spotted it on the edge of town, near the forest- which should make it even easier to gather supplies for your potion afterwards. Should we give it a look?"

Raeyliff nodded before looking at Azide and grinning. "Awesome then. Let's walk over to there and see if he'd be able to give us any insight." he said. He started to walk with Azide to their destination, staying silent and zoned out to himself before realizing that he didn't have the chance to talk with Azide and get to know him a bit more than just the way he talked and his similar interests in becoming an alchemist. He looked at Azide before asking. "So, what sparked your interest in becoming an alchemist? For me, it was a small interest at first that grew as I realized that it was something people didn't really choose to go with. The path that only a handful of people chose. And from there I felt that it would be cool to join these handful of people and expand from there to show the true powers of alchemy. You could already tell that my physical build is leaned more towards a blacksmith or something, but that was too easy to figure out and guess. It would be awkward, of course, to tell them that I am just an alchemist, but it's better than being something all of Aincrad already is." he said, shrugging.

The two soon took off, though stayed silent during the initial phases of their trip. "He must be thinking about something," noted Azide. He himself was guilty of zoning off during these longer walks. On this particular trip, his mind had drifted off to thoughts of his life in that other world. "I wonder what everyone's up to right now? It's hard to believe everyone I know is moving on with their lives as I stand around here fighting boar all day. And what the hell they doing to my class rank?" he wondered. While Azide thought these thoughts, Raeyliff turned his head and broke the silence.

He nodded, taking in the significance of the player's words while also pondering his question. "So you want to stand out from the crowd, is that right? Is that something you realized here in Aincrad, or something you took with you from the other world?" he asked. "I ask because it ties in with my answer- the real world, that is." He paused and looked off to the side before turning back to Raeyliff. "In that other world, I was a chemistry student. A chemistry major, to be exact- and to be honest, I was good at it." He shook his head and gave a half smile. "No, I was amazing at it. I was a semester or two away from graduation and had recently started work as an intern for a prestigious research lab, and now I'm just here." He shifted his eyes to straight ahead, but continued to speak. "So I guess the reason I'm interested in alchemy, is that it's the closest way I can take back what's owed to me. I have no idea when or if I'll ever get to go back to that world, so this is my second option, so to speak." He slipped his hands in his pocket and feigned a laugh before shifting his eyes back to Raeyliff. "Haha, sorry, I don't mean to bring the mood down. I've had plenty of time to think these things through in my own mind, but I've never actually spoken them out loud before, you know?" He rolled his neck around, his head feeling a bit heavy. "Haha, but that's enough about me," he added with a chuckle.

"I understand. You didn't bring the mood down at all, don't worry. To answer your question, it was a little bit of both. In real life, I used to play RPG games and usually ended up going for the Smithing profession or any other professions. I usually only tried alchemy once or twice but was always impressed by what I could create by it. When I did projects or assignments I sometimes tried to do stuff that a lesser amount of people would do, just so that I could stand out more. When I came to Aincrad I looked at the amount of blacksmiths and eliminated the idea, thinking that that was way too easy of a path to take these days. I could have become a tailor, but I saw enough of those around as well. So I finally looked at alchemy and noticed that there was a shortage in numbers and that Aincrad was in need of alchemists. I took that into consideration with how amazing alchemy was in my eyes and I decided to be an alchemist." Raeyliff said. This was about the first time he talked this much to a player since he came here. He was a bit nervous to be talking this much to another player for the first time, being that he never did that before, but didn't show it. However, a little part of him was glad that he could share his thoughts and feelings with another player who would, surely, understand. They kept walking, about  halfway there at the moment.

"To be honest I actually had you pegged as the smithing type," said Azide. "But I guess that says something about both of us in of itself." He tapped a finger to his temple. "I think it says that you're one to break from the mold and what's expected, while on the other hand I'm the sort who relies on expectations in order to draw conclusions- which may or may not be correct. Or maybe it'd be more useful to say that while you seem to favor action before observing the results, I tend to favor observation before acting to get my results." Azide had always known himself to more of a reactive force than a proactive one. Sure, he'd always been on top of his assignments and work, so people figured him to be the proactive type. "But that's not quite right. I've never been one to stir the pot- I've always preferred to make the logical next step in any sort of situation." He looked ahead and noticed that by now, they were nearly upon their destination. The apothecary shop would be just at the end of this street. "If you haven't noticed, I tend to ramble a bit when people let me, so just keep that in mind," he added with a grin. "This is a little out of the blue, but what's your real name, Raeyliff?" he asked, not quite sure why he had done so.

Raeyliff laughed. "Ah, it's fine. You might actually be correct about our personalities, but I wonder if it will have anything to do with our alchemy and potion making. For example, if I tend to act before drawing in results, then will I be creating random potion and not really going towards what I need to create? As for you, since you tend to observe before you draw actions, you might be able to know that you're on the right track, in addition to having a steady hand over what effects will your potions have. You might actually become a better alchemist then I am, but I'm not giving up." he said, grinning. Listening to Azide's question, Raeyliff was surprised. He had never been asked to reveal anything about his real life before, and anything he shared was to prove his trust and to keep the conversation going without awkwardness. Still, he could trust Azide. "My real name...that reminds me of the world I left behind. I wonder if a day will come where I would forget it altogether. I should write it or engrave it somewhere to remember. My real name is Joseph, people used to call me Joe. Now I'm Raeyliff." he said, looking at the ground. After a while, he looked up again and at Azide. "What about you? What's your name?" he asked.

Azide laughed back. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with being proactive- if anything, it's people like you who tend to shake up the world. There's an old saying that 'Good things come to those who wait', but did you know that's not actually the full phrase?" He shook his head. "The original quote actually goes, 'Good things come to those who wait, but only what's left by those who hustle.'" Azide straightened his collar, then looked back to Raeyliff. "So I think it's safe to say that both our personalities have a lot to contribute towards this field. I might be more deliberate, I have a feeling you very well might be more imaginative." He nudged the player with his elbow in a friendly sort of way, bringing back memories of his lab work. "So I think it's safe to say I'll be expecting great things from you." He looked up ahead, seeing their destination finally come into view. It wouldn't be too long now. "I hadn't ever thought about the possibility of forgetting something like that before, I'm glad you brought it up- and you're right, it's one of the few mementos we carry with us from the other world." He'd noticed the way Raeyliff had shifted his gaze after mentioning his new identity here in Aincrad. "You wouldn't mind if I called you that, would you? Joe, I mean. That way you won't forget. And as for me?" He paused and considered what to say, before deciding he'd just set things straight right off the bat. "Well legally my given name is Napoleon, but I've never really identified with it. So I've always just gone by my middle name, Nouel, instead."

Raeyliff looked at Azide and grinned "Sure, you can call me Joe if you want to. And I'll call you Nouel, that way we'll both be somewhat like anchors to the real world for each other so that we can never forget who we truly are. And do you really think I'll be able to come up with great ideas? I've had some thoughts, many based on past video games and legends..." as he began to say his ideas, he noticed that they were about to walk into a house in front of them, so he stopped and put a hand on Azide to gently stop him as well. He looked around, noticing that they were in a forest, before laughing. "It seems that we have already arrived." Raeyliff opened the door and stepped inside, and held the door open for Azide. "Come on in." he said. An old man was sitting on a chair right behind the counter and was looking at Raeyliff, who turned to look at him.

"Hello! We need your help, but we would like to know if you can help us first." Raeyliff said, beginning the conversation.

The old man raised his eyebrows curiously "Well, it depends on what you really need? What kind of potion do you want?" he asked, standing up.

"No, we don't need potions." Raeyliff said. "We need to learn alchemy, and we saw that it would be wise to come to you first and see what we need. We understand that you can only teach one person at a time, and we have already agreed that I would learn the profession first then my friend here."

The old man showed a hint of a smile as he nodded and walked into the room behind him. "Follow me." he said. Raeyliff nodded and looked at Azide, nodding but not saying anything, just waiting for him to give the signal that he was ready to come with. 

Azide nodded. He figured they might be stuck here in Aincrad, but they didn't have to forget where they'd come from, after all. "I have no doubt that you'll come up with some great ideas, Joe, but you'd better not keep them all to yourself," he said with chuckle. He felt Raeyliff put on a hand on his shoulder, then looked in front and noticed he'd nearly run into the shop while they'd been talking. "Geeze, watch where you're going Azide. What happened to being observant?" He followed Raeyliff into the building, which looked to be some sort of log cabin, and fit in quite nicely with the forest all around it. He listened as Raeylif began talking to the old man, and gave Raeyliff a thumbs-up before making his way towards the back room. Once they were all inside, he leaned of and whispered to the other player. "So, are you going to ask him how to make a health potion or something?"

Raeyliff leaned over and whispered to Azide "Yeah, I guess that will have to do...for now. Later, however..." he said, grinning, as they entered. He wasn't planning to stay at health potions forever. Just for a little while as I advance in ranks and gain more experience, and then I'll be able to move on...there's so much I could create it's crazy. The old man looked at them before raising his arms to show them his alchemy lab, his desk of notes and papers, and the far shelves of books on the back. "Here is my life's work on alchemy. Feel free to come here at any time to research, as I'm sure you will. Now, I would teach you how to create a basic health potion right away, but I'm quite short on materials at the moment. If you can, go farther into the forest and fight some monsters there that will drop materials for you to craft a health potion." the old man said, before taking a breath.

" Alright. Anything else?" Raeyliff asked.

The old man shook his head and revealed a smile "No, that will be all. I'm so glad to see that there are still some people who wish to become alchemists. Truth be told, you are players that won't take as long of a time to learn alchemy as a normal villager living in this land, but we can just assume that this is a gift, or talent, that is given to only certain people." he replied. "Now, off you go. Do not return until you have gathered enough materials." he said. Raeyliff walked out with Azide, smiling, as he opened the door for him to pass. "So, you ready?" he asked.

"Well we've all got to start somewhere, Joe. Don't want to blow up synthesizing our first potion, after all," Azide remarked. "That being said, I definitely won't be making health potions for the rest of my life either," he thought. Inside, he was still as he had always been: curious. That, and ambitious, naturally. "Maybe I'm unable to contribute to the research of the other world, but here, I can make a name for myself." He looked around the room as the old man showed them his humble abode. It looked like a mix between an old library and an herbalist's workshop, and had a rather rustic, yet peaceful feel to it. As Raeyliff opened the door, he stepped out, waiting for the door behind him to close before finally pointing out a curiosity in their task. Azide cleared his throat. "So... what materials are we supposed to collect exactly?" He looked around, seeing all of the things that could be harvested, but rather unsure which of these could safely be combined- never mind healing somebody. There were all sorts of bushes, saplings, flowers, trees, nuts, and even animals nearby. In the distance he could spy some boar and other such forest creatures roaming about.

"Well, as it says here on this quest <<Earning a Living>>, we're supposed to go and grab some ingredients like a Blue Forest Flower, some mushrooms that grow near certain trees near the forests like one called the Blitter Mushroom, and a couple more that are deep into the forest, where boars and who know what other monsters lie. So, we go in, we kill as much boars as we can, we get the herbs, we create our first potion, and then I get the profession. Sounds simple enough." he said, looking at Azide and smiling. He walked outside and then pulled out his battle-axe from his inventory and lowered it, looking at Azide. "You should get your weapon out as well, before we get into the forest." he said. He looked back at the forest to only catch a glimpse of one or two boars walking around, some trees, bushes...before alchemy he would have never thought for a moment about what can they do and what things can he create with them. Now...now was a different story altogether. He smiled a little to himself as he thought about it. 

"Ah, of course," said Azide, nodding. "It hadn't even crossed my mind that the ingredients would be listed there. Since I can't pull it up myself, however, looks like you'll have to keep an eye out on all the ingredients we'll be needing." Azide drew Atom Slicer from its sheathe, but kept it pointed towards the ground. Atom Slicer was a weapon of his own design- a rapier that had been crafted in a way such that it could viably be used as a slashing weapon. He glanced at Raeyliff's battle-axe. "You know, you're the first person I've seen around here to wield one of those. Does that happen to tie in with the whole breaking-from-the-mold thing?" He laughed, began walking forward. "I think I see some flowers up ahead, but there are some boar roaming around there. You up for some hunting?"