a suggestion for implementing original\unique skills.

unique/original skills!  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have original/unique skills?

We all know that in SAO the skills are supposedly infinite. Why not make SAO-rpg a little bit closer? My idea for implementing unique/original skills mainly uses a system much like the one we already have for rare items. But there should be a little difference in the rules.

1. Everyone should be allowed to have only one.

2. They should cost not only actual skill points but a larger amount based on the abilities of the skill. For example the master rank for weapons of im not mistaking is 30? More for katanas if you think about it. So a skill that equals the same amount of power should equal 30.

3. All skills should be submitted to the GMs for approval much like the rare item system we already have. (An idea for this would be a brand new forum called "index of unique skills" we're it basically be your skill + a description and maybe a gif or picture of what it might look like.)

4. Unique skills should well be unique depending on how it goes possibly just the names will have to be unique. depending on how the GMs feel. For instance its up to them wether or not there could be mechanic changing skills like a "double hit" or "counter strike". While the GMs would have the ultimate authority over what's op and what's fair.

5. Restrictions on changing the weapon mechanics like no "duel wielding" however a "throwing weapon skill" I think should be allowed given its your own weapon and not like literally a new type of weapon.

6. Really cool skills like these should have "cool downs" like maybe you can only use it once per role play or once per however many posts but that should be only for certain ones like the "throwing weapon".

7. No magic. Let's atleast try to stick to that stigma of no magic in SAO.

8. GMs could (if they deam the skill too op with out) add or suggest handicaps to the skill like "recoil damage" or the enemy is given more damage against you or an addition to there dice roll.

This new original/unique skill system could be a very balanced and fun mechanic addition to the site. Please vote/consider if you have any questions, suggestions or any thing to add feel free to reply to this post.

I really do like this idea, as I think it would end up diversifying characters a little more combat-wise. A considerable amount of additional would have to go into monitoring the additional approval requests on the part of the GM's, and it would take a little more thought on their part to make sure the skills are balanced- but I think they could create a create-your-own-skil system similar to the crafting system to streamline the process. With all of that said, I do find it an exciting suggestion!

I know where you're going with this, and I like it, but as cool of an idea as it is, because of the system we have, there are only a handful of options that could be made, and then it becomes exponentially more difficult for new players to create them.

I think just having a sword skill system of moves like in the anime would go a long way towards filling the desire to have something like this. If I'm not mistake, the GMs are working on a system, I just have no idea if/when we're going to see it.

The whole point of making the skills cost more is to give players a little something more to work and stride for. Also It's not like this system will cause the death of many new players by way of PK because combat would still be the same system of agreement. Even if your worried that the skills won't be "unique" after a while that's the point of suggesting to have atleast an original name for the skill.