[SP-F4] Avalanche

"Gee willikers, more berries!" thought Azide as he pulled out another clump of berries from the same bush. "It's almost as if I'm searching for a berry bush." It sounded like a bit of sarcasm, and it was, though he felt such sarcasm was certainly warranted. "It seems like most of the time when I search a berry bush, they tend to be mysteriously lacking in berries." In any case, he pocketed his find with as much joy as you could expect from someone who'd discovered berries in a berry bush.

ID: 10035

BD: 19 (Material acquired)

*1 material acquired (11 materials acquired, total).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Suddenly, berry collecting has become even more boring than Ice Elemental genocide." And with that thought, he stood up and moved away from the bushes, then began his march across the barren wasteland known as the fourth floor. At some point, he found himself assaulted by an ice ball. "After foraging for berries, that's nearly a welcome sight." He turned his attention to the culprit, then rushed the first Elemental he'd spotted and slashed it cleanly across the torso. "It's an ice day, isn't it?"

ID: 10037

BD: 4 (+3 Accuracy) = 7 (Hit)

MD: 6 (-2 Accuracy) = 4 (Miss)

Damage taken (Ice Elemental) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

Azide HP: 24/26

Ice Elemental HP: 8/16 (-8)

The creature responded by attempting to rake his face with its sharp and icy claws. "Well hello to you too," replied Azide, evading its reach. He took a few more steps back as the creature continued to swipe at him, taking a step forward each time. Eventually, Azide grew tired of their little routine, then simply deflected both of its claws one after another. With the creature left wide open as a result, he stepped forward and thrusted Quantum Slicer straight through the beast, shattering it. A bit of nevermelt ice along with col were left behind, both of which being immediately transferred to his inventory.

ID: 10043

BD: 9 (Crit +1)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 2 (Miss)

LD: 13 (Loot found)

Damage taken (Ice Elemental) = 8 (Base+Rapier+Skills) + 1 (Crit +1) = 9

Azide HP: 25/26 (+1)

Ice Elemental HP: -1/16 (-9) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (12 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (400 col acquired, total).

"God damn it," muttered Azide, tripping over something once again. After quickly regaining his balance, he stooped over to see what he'd caught his foot on this time around. He pulled out an object that'd been sticking out of the ground half-way out of the snow. "It looks like a root of some sort," he thought. With a quick glance around, he couldn't help but notice the absence of any nearby trees. "Roots normally don't just uproot themselves and walk off," he thought. He sent the item to his inventory, figuring he could likely grate the root and add it to his growing collection of materials back at the lab. "Well wherever it came from, not a bad find, all things considered."

ID: 10053

LD: 17 (Material gathered)

*1 material acquired (13 materials acquired, total).

Yet another ice ball was hurled in his direction, but landed a few feet in front of him. He sighed, shaking his head. "Back so soon? Fine, just throw your lives away." A few more ice balls came his way, but were all sliced out of the air, shattering into particles that disintegrated into the cold air. A few moments more and he'd reached his would-be assailant, coming close enough to stab the creature repeatedly with his rapier. Each time he'd drawn his sword back out, there'd been much friction and resistance, but he'd continued stabbing away in spite of it all. "All I want is to draw the attention of your boss, or leader, or whatever he is to you."

ID: 10056

BD: 3 (+3 Accuracy) = 6 (Hit)

MD: 4 (Miss)

Damage taken (Ice Elemental) = 8 (Base+Rapier+Skills)

Azide HP: 25/26

Azide attempted to withdraw his sword, only to experience a bit more trouble than he had been. He gripped onto the handle with both hands and attempted to tear it out of the creature, to no avail. As he did so, the creature attempted to bat him away and swept at him with its icy claws. Incredibly, the creature still failed to land a hit on him, even with his opponent's limited movements and options. Finally, the player managed to release his blade from the creature's frozen body, then quickly made a temporary retreat. "I'd better finish this with a slash this time."

ID: 10057

BD: 2 (Miss)

MD: 3 (Miss)

Damage taken (Both) = 0

Ice Elemental HP: 8/16

After dodging a few more swipes and swats of the creature's claws, Azide finally found the opportunity to strike. Seizing the moment, he ducked under creature's fist, then stepped forward and slashed at the creature in an upward-diagonal movement. It was the swordsman's equivalent of an uppercut, or something of that sort. "Seeing as how I was neither a swordsman or fighter of any sort, I have no idea how to describe it other than in literal terms." The creature shattered into a cloud of blue particles that soon dispersed and disappeared. He sent a crafting material he'd obtained from the encounter to his inventory. "Where the hell are you, Avalanche?"

ID: 10059

BD: 10 (Crit +2)(Life Steal +1)

LD: 1 (Nothing)

Damage taken (Ice Elemental) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) + 2 (Crit +2) = 10

Azide HP: 26/26 (+1)

Ice Elemental HP: -2/16 (-10) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (14 materials acquired, total).

Azide was not surprised in the least when another ice ball went shooting over his head. By this point, it'd basically become a running joke, and so he didn't mind. Of course, the joke had been running so long that it was now tired beyond all measure, and he no longer found it funny. After quickly locating the source of the frozen projectile, he made a quick sprint at the creature, dodging the countless pieces of ice chucked his way. "Although to be fair, maybe dodging isn't the right word to use here," he thought, watching all the pieces that seemed to be incredibly off-target. Once he'd successfully come within the creature's range, he delivered a single downward-diagonal cut, shaving the creature's life to half of its former value.

ID: 10060

BD: 3 (+3 Accuracy) = 6 (Hit)

Azide HP: 26/26

"Another one bites the dust," he thought, shattering the creature with a pinpoint thrust of his rapier. He'd dodged its desperate swipes with ease, giving him ample time to counterattack. "I feel as if I've referenced that song before. Hmm..." The creature left behind a small sum of col along with the expected crafting material, although nothing beyond that. He sent both to his inventory, but found himself somewhat disappointed by his current run. "I'm almost exactly on target for what I'd been expecting to get by this point, materials-wise, but meeting targets is never quite exciting." Glancing around, he still saw nothing of any Avalanche figure. He sighed, then continued trudging through the snow.

ID: 10062

BD: 5 (+3 Accuracy) = 8 (Hit)

LD: 15 (Loot found)

Ice Elemental HP: 0/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (15 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (480 col acquired, total).

More ice balls came hurtling his way, with half a dozen or so landing around him within a 20 second or so timespan. He shook his head, wondering where these things had learned to aim. "If I'd actually watched Star Wars, maybe I'd say the Storm Trooper academy. But I didn't, so I won't. That would be out of character." He came running at his new assailant, continuing to dodge the ice balls that rained down on him from the sky like hail. Eventually, he lunged forward and thrusted Quantum Slicer out, intending to strike the creature's frozen core. Instead, he tripped over an ice ball that the creature had dropped, stumbling and missing his swing for all intents and purposes. "Damn it."

ID: 10064

BD: 1 (Miss)

Damage taken (Both) = 0

Ice Elemental HP: 16/16

The creature swiped at him again with its long and icy claws, which cascaded from its arms like icicles. These claws, however, failed to mangle him as intended. In fact, they didn't even touch him, with the player dodging and evading each attempted strike. Eventually, as the creature had paused for the briefest moment, Azide took it upon himself to return the favor. He swung his rapier at the creature's chest, leaving a glowing red gash running diagonally across its torso.

ID: 10130

BD: 6 (Hit)

MD: 5 (Miss)

Yet another brief altercation went by, and with no actual results to show for it. The Elemental had been restricted to melee attacks and physical strikes, with their close proximity limiting the effectiveness of any and all thrown projectiles. The creature was, however, too slow to actually land any of its many swings at him. On the other hand, Azide struggled to find an opening, with each swing of his rapier being deflected by the creature's broad and icy arms. "These slowdowns are so painfully boring. I could be at home right now, drinking hot chocolate, and instead I'm standing around doing nothing."

ID: 10131

BD: 1 (Miss)

MD: 5 (Miss)

Damage taken (Both) = 0

Ice Elemental HP: 8/16

Suddenly, the Ice Elemental produced what appeared to be a pair of swords, made from pure ice. He was reminded of the frozen claymore that'd been wielded by one of the more successful Elementals he'd face earlier. "Not quite new, but the second one comes as a certain surprise," thought Azide. He readied himself for the oncoming assault, but hadn't expected the beast to strike so quickly. He'd guarded and parried a fair amount of the creature's swings and thrusts, while evading others, but quickly found himself temporarily overwhelmed by the two swords together. He stumbled back after taking two direct hits to the chest, one from each of the creature's twin swords, before shaking it off. After dodging another strike from the creature and parrying the second, he lunged forward and sliced the Elemental clean in two. It shattered, leaving behind a bit of col and crafting material.

ID: 10132

BD: 2 + 3 (Equipment + Skills) + 1 (Concentration) = 6 (Hit)

MD: 10 (Crit +2)

LD: 18 (Loot found)

Damage taken (Azide) = 1 (Base) + 2 (Crit +2) - 3 (Mitigation) = 1 (Min)

Concentration CD: 0/5

Azide HP: 25/26 (-1)

Ice Elemental HP: 0/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (16 materials acquired).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (560 col acquired, total).

After walking away from the scene of his last victory, he felt his shoe knock something aside as he stepped forward. "Looks like another piece of ice," he thought. He crouched down and picked the piece up, noticing how it came to a sharp tip at the end. "This must be a fragment from one of the swords that Elemental had been wielding," he realized. "From the looks of it, this looks like the very end of the blade itself. It seems like it's made from the same material as the elemental themselves." He eyed the curiosity for a few moments more before sending the material off to his inventory. He looked around. "Where are you, Avalanche?"

ID: 10136

LD: 20 (Material found)

*1 material acquired (17 materials acquired, total).

Suddenly, he was hit with a brilliant idea. "They say avalanches can be called by raising your voice. Perhaps the same could be said for this Avalanche fellow as well," thought Azide. He looked around, seeing no sign of the field boss anywhere. "If I keep wandering around aimlessly, who knows how long it might take for me to find him? Might as well attempt to call him to me." He shrugged, the brought his hands up to his face and cupped the together. He took a deep breath, then shouted out at the top of his lungs. "Come out, Avalanche! I came here to fight you, but I can't do that if you hide like a damn coward!"

Suddenly, he heard a rumbling coming from the top of a nearby snow-capped peak and looked up. From the looks of it, his efforts appeared to have caused an actual avalanche. "Somehow, there's a bit of poetic justice in this." He began to run, thinking that today's fun had been spoiled, when suddenly he found himself standing in the shadow of something large. He turned around to see his target, Avalanche, standing tall and riding the avalanche down the cliffside.

"Riding in style, huh? Well I have to admit, you do have a flair for making grand entrances." Azide quickly drew Quantum Slicer from its sheath, the began speeding towards his newly appeared foe. The creature shot a flurry of ice balls at him, with a speed matching that of a Gatling gun, though also possessing a similar degree of accuracy. Azide managed to evade all of the icy projectiles and made his way up to the giant, then slashed at his ankle. The sharp steel of his blade cut deep through the ice, coming out the other side and leaving behind a red gash.

ID: 10138

Concentration CD (1/5)

Damage taken ( Avalanche) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

Avalanche HP: 42/50 (-8)

The giant slammed two of its massive frozen fists into the ground, missing the player by about a mile each time. It watched as Azide darted around its limbs, scurrying about without so much as a scratch. After slowly lifting its arms back up and straightening itself out, the beast began to stomp its feet, attempting to simply crush the player. Azide shook his head and continued moving on. "That thing is far too slow to hit me with movements like that. It's like trying to punch a fish underwater. Not going to happen, buddy." He slashed again at the creature's ankle, leaving behind a deeper gash than his previous swing, then continued moving.

ID: 10145

BD: 8 (Hit)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 1 (Miss)

Concentration CD (2/5)

Damage taken (Avalanche) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

Azide HP: 26/26 (+1)

Avalanche HP: 34/50 (-8)

Avalanche must've surely noticed its stupendously low levels of success, as it shifted tactics for a moment and began firing off frozen rounds once more. This proved to be an idiotic decision, as Azide easily evaded and limited its aim by staying close to the giant's legs, figuring it would be unlikely to literally shoot itself in the foot. Noticing how close the player now was to its limbs, the creature began stomping away once more while continuing its fire, making for a truly odd and ridiculous sight. "You are completely hopeless," thought Azide. He slashed at the creature's ankle once more, on the opposite side, making the creature stumble. "Nearly to the halfway mark."

ID: 10147

Concentration CD (3/5)

Damage taken (Avalanche) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills)

Avalanche HP: 26/50 (-8)

The colossal Elemental stomped down hard, missing Azide, but produced a tremor strong enough to make the player stumble over himself. With its target now sprawled out on the ground, the creature fired off a countless number of rounds directly at him. Azide held Quantum Slicer out in front of him, blocking a few of the rounds that flew his way, while slicing up a few others. Still, its sleek form couldn't hope to block even half of the rounds fired at him. Many of the icy shots deviated from their target, missing him on their own, but many still managed to make their mark. Thanks to his armor, however, the damage incurred was kept to a near minimum. As soon as the creature let up, he jumped back on his feet and made a mad dash toward the creature once more. The creature attempted to pummel him into the earth by launching a downward fist, but missed. Azide approached this grounded fist and slashed at the structure repeatedly, leaving behind multiple glowing gashes.

ID: 10152

BD: 4 (+3 Accuracy) = 8 (Hit)

MD: 10 (Crit +2)

Concentration CD (4/5)

Damage taken (Azide) = 3 (Base) + 2 (Crit +2) - 3 (Mitigation) = 2

Damage taken (Avalance) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

Azide HP: 24/26 (-2)

Avalanche HP: 18/50 (-8)

The creature lifted up its hulking fist, its wounds visibly healing as it did so. All in all, Avalanche possessed very little grace or finesse. Its actions were slow and deliberate, as if the whole thing were a colossal mechanical construct. Its movements were those of a lumbering giant. It attempted to crush him with a second fist, sending its other arm plunging into the white snow beneath it, but to no avail. The action rumbled the ground, but failed to hit their intended target. Azide ran up to this second fist and slashed away at it before it could be lifted back into the air. "You're nearly dead, Avalanche."

ID: 10163

MD: 3 (Miss)

Concentration CD (5/5)

Azide HP: 24/26

Avalanche HP: 10/50 (-8)

The creature slowly lifted its colossal fist back into the air and stomped once, hitting nothing. Running out of viable options, the creature aimed both of its fists at the player once more. But instead of slamming them into the ground, the creature began firing off frozen rounds from both of its hands this time around. The floor became filled with the sound of shattering ice, as hundreds of icy bullets rained down beneath the colossus, breaking to bits as they made contact with the ground below. For all of its efforts, however, Azide was unimpressed. "Not a single one of your shots has hit me, Avalanche. You might want to get some more training with that." The player ran up to the creature's ankle and slashed away once again, severing its foot completely this time around. Slowly, the creature began to tip, then toppled rapidly to the ground. "This battle is now in its final stages."

ID: 10165

BD: 8 (Hit)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 4

Azide HP: 25/26 (+1)

Avalanche HP: 2/50 (-8)