[PP-F1] I Could Use Some Help [Jynx, Warnik] [Completed]

My sandals clicked against the concrete ground of Floor 1 which was basically my home now. Or at least that's what it felt like with how much time I spent there also since I lived there I guess. Psyche wouldn't wake up today no matter how hard I tried to ruin her perfect sleeping conditions. So I left her and went out on my own even though I hate being alone. It makes me feel insecure and weird not having at least one person by my side especially when so many people were in groups around town.

I kept my fingers wrapped around the hem of my dress and brushed my hair from my face from time to time. Being alone was... boring. Psyche wasn't even here to get me into an interesting situation which was honestly how I'd met almost everyone in the game so far. The thought that I couldn't make a single friend without the help of my best friend was a little sad. So I planned to slump down on a bench nearby and daydream the day away because that's who I was. Of course luck wasn't in my favor because on my way I tripped over someone's shoe and fell forward. Then in attempt to save myself I grabbed a stall selling basic foods but instead of the plan working all the items fell on me which made the vendor angry. That and everybody around stared at me and laughed or just kept walking not really caring. My whole face became red or at least it felt that way with all of the burning sensations making my face tingle. I just sat there frozen because I had no idea what to do next. I wished Psyche was there to save me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floor 1. I had lost track of the time I've spent alone on this floor. Walking around the town of Starter City everyday, and not doing any sort of training was driving me a little bit crazy. Who knows how long it had been since this death game started? Maybe I should head on out and try to take out a boar on my own, or do a quest? I shook my head immediately, and got rid of the thought. If hundreds of players didn't stand a chance against one of them and got killed due to their carelessness, I probably would meet a similar fate on my own. I let out a defeated sigh, and continued walking around town. Maybe I could party up with someone else so I can get some much needed Col and XP. I dislike most people with a passion, and would rather not ask for help, but that seemed to be the only logical thing to do at the moment.

There were clusters of people together, as I walked through town. No doubt going out to grind, or level up. That was good, no one would get themselves hurt with such large groups, but it wasn't good for me. I hated crowds, and besides, the XP and other items would get stretched too thin, or something. I'd probably have to look for people who were alone. Walking down a street I've found the occasional player, but they'd usually be rushing off towards the marketplace, or a tavern. "Why is this so hard?" I groaned out loud to no one in particular. My legs were beginning to get tired from all the walking, so I decided to find a bench and take a rest.

Walking down a street, I managed to find one, but it was already in use by someone else. A girl in particular. I usually didn't pay much attention to other people, but there was obviously something wrong with this one. She was hunched up and looked sick because her face was flushed. I don't know why, but I was compelled to approach her, and ask if she was all right.

"Um... you okay?" I said leaning forward trying to get a better look at her.

I noticed a player finally approach me after what seemed like days. Very slowly I lifted my gaze on the ground to the person in front of me. 

You didn't see what happened?

I asked but quietly because my voice cracked a little. Tears built up in my eyes but I wiped them away quickly. I touched both hands to my cheeks to cool them down and reduce the redness consuming my face. When I pulled my hands away I rested them in my lap over each other. The thought of someone possibly caring about my situation made the butterflies in my stomach die down just like my blush and fear of being criticized further.

I just wanted to sit down but instead I fell and made a huge scene. Nobody wants to party up with a klutz... or a baby for that matter.

Those words made my heart sink but it was time that I told myself the truth. Even if the male wasn't paying attention I still wanted to speak anyway.

Why did you even get near me? Don't you care what people think about you? If I were you I'd walk away now before other people see you with me.

I fiddled my thumbs and stared at the player with my brown eyes. I was too scared to look around and see if anyone still gave me odd looks though I was positive and currently convincing myself they were.

I blinked a few times, trying to figure out just what was going on, and register what this girl was saying. Truthfully, I didn't pay attention to the fact that she had fallen a little while earlier, but that was because I didn't pay much attention to anyone else in general. It wasn't personal. This girl was putting herself down needlessly however, and that bugged me. Pulling a hand over the back of my head, and looking off into the distance, I struggled with finding something to say. When I looked back and saw her flushed face, and some tears being wiped, I felt an awkward feeling in my chest.

"Putting yourself down's not going accomplish anything, you know?" I finally said, after a few seconds of trying to find the right words. The heart in my chest thumped a bit, because I haven't spoken to anyone for some time. I adjusted my collar, before taking a seat on the other end of the bench. I sat forward, and didn't want to meet her gaze. Talking face to face, wasn't something I was good at,

"I think it's my decision if I want to be seen with you, though. I haven't cared what others thought of me for a long time anyway. Perks of being a nobody." I half joked, and admitted, offering the girl an indirect smile, before turning my head and looking off into the distance again.

I nodded my head up and down slowly, blinking away the rest of the unwanted wetness residing in my eyes. 

Yeah yeah I do.

I continued to stare elsewhere when the stranger sat down. He did make me laugh a little which helped at his comment about being a nobody.

I don't really know what I am. Probably a sidekick or back-up friend something like those.

My hand waved around in the air with the last few words as if I didn't really care, but I did. I decided to take a look at the male and turned a little towards him. My eyes were probably a little pink from the crying judging from the way they felt. I swallowed the lump in my throat which made it go away before speaking.

I'm sorry for that. Usually I'm pretty good with hiding feelings and all. Hopefully we can still talk if you don't mind. It's not impossible for us "nobodys" to make friends... Right?

Hope rung in my voice it was so obvious even I could hear it. Yes I was that desperate to make a friend. More so for the benefit of being able to tell myself I could make friends on my own without any help. But also because if the stranger really was a nobody then I wanted him to feel different about that because that's just the caring person I am. Most of the time I was suspicious of the characters around in this game but now I found if hard to think of this guy as scary or as a potential danger. He was avoiding eye contact but I wasn't at all. To me eye contact was the most important thing when it came to forming trust or even having a decent conversation.

Normally I'd take a little offense in response to someone laughing at me being a nobody, but since I joked about it myself, I didn't. I was actually glad that I managed to cheer her up with the comment, and got a little chuckle out of the girl. She continued to talk about herself, which I didn't mind for the moment. I felt the same way, only to a greater extent.

"Or some background prop that-." I cut myself off quietly, before scratching the back of my head nonchalantly. Hopefully my comment went unnoticed since she shifted topics. I was glad that it seemed the case when she spoke about hidden feelings. That was something I could relate to, but I wouldn't voice it at this time. I just met this girl after all. No need to get all friendly or so I thought.

"Friends?" I said with a puzzled look on my face, accidentally turning to meet her gaze with my dark eyes.that barely passed for brown.I hadn't considered on meeting anyone in this game, and spending much time with others. One of the reasons, I think I managed to stay sane in this game was because I disconnected myself from the troubles of SAO, and let everyone else do all the work. Wouldn't lose anyone that way, but here I was talking to a girl and getting friendly with her. I couldn't refuse however, because she seemed to brighten up after she had spoken, and wanted to continue talking. 

"I suppose so." I said, after some consideration. "Whoops, sorry." I blundered, immediately turned my head away from her after realizing that I was still looking into her eyes.

Great! My name's Jynx.

I exclaimed when he sort of decided he wanted to be my friend too. It wasn't anything enthusiastic like I'd hoped it be but then again this player didn't seem like the type to get hyped up for no reasons like I did sometimes. I titled my head in confusion when he said sorry though. If he had done something wrong then I didn't catch it and was curious to find out what it was.

Sorry about what? All you've done is talk to me there's no need to apologize for anything.

My eyebrows furrowed and I tapped him on the shoulder.

If you're going to speak to me then look at my face! There's nothing wrong with a little eye contact. I'm not that bad looking or scary either.

I smiled and folded my hands in my lap once again. Now I was sitting up straight and a bit more confident than before. I felt so much better knowing that I was talking to another player without the help of my buddy. I was just joking with him now and back to my always-smiling self. So maybe I could make friends after all, or maybe this guy was just trying to make me feel better. I did hope he actually enjoyed my presence enough to become an acquaintance of mine that'd be awesome. My teeth were always white and shined pretty bright even when I skipped brushing as a child so that made me feel even better just thinking about it. I love smiling and more than often my smiles and laugh were contagious. Making people happy was my thing, and hopefully I'd do this same for this person.

Now look at me and then tell me your name for starters.

I was surprised by the total shift in personality. Just a few minutes ago, Jynx was sulking and crying about a problem earlier, but now she seemed entirely perked up almost seemed as though she only had those two emotional extremes available to her. That was almost enviable, to get cheered up so easily, whereas I would constantly be in a state of indifference to the things around me.

The tap I received on the shoulder was totally unexpected, so I jumped due to the contact. Despite this being a game, and everything being a simulated experience with no actual contact being made, that always gave me a shock. The girl had gotten pretty assertive with her speech, as she went on about wanting some eye contact. Easier said than done, but I made an effort to.

"My name's Warnik." I answered, turning slightly towards her as I did. Now that Jynx was feeling better I wasn't really sure where to go from here. I didn't have much experience talking with strangers.

"So... some weather." I said awkwardly, gazing up into the always blue skies of floor 1. I knew it was a cliche' topic, even with my lack of social interaction, but it was something to talk about nonetheless. Hopefully she would have better things to talk about, or had a few questions that he wouldn't mind answering, though.

Warnik?

I repeated after the male said his name to test it out and see how it sounded in my monotone voice. It was a weird name but just a username after all so who was I to judge? That and my name was Jynx.

Warnik. I like it.

I eventually admitted to him after repeating the name in my head numerous times all the while matching his face to said name. This was my way of memorizing someone not that I forgot anybody I ever meet anyways. Warnik made me laugh again with the way he attempted socializing with me. It was silly and kind of cute but in a childish way. I shook my head but went with it.

I prefer weather to be stormy and windy with a little bit chill but not enough to make it cold.

I replied and looked up at the sky with him by tilting ny head. When I returned my position to normal I continued speaking.

What kind of weather do you prefer? Living in the USA I saw all of it but i don't know what you saw.

I was trying to get Warnik comfortable with talking to me and at least having a decent conversation. It wasn't that interesting of a topic bit we were just starting so it was alright with me. I was also trying to get to know him better without ask obvious out of the blue questions that would make me seem like I was coming on too strong like I usually did. It was a habit of mine to be the talkative annoying girl that wanted to know too much about someone's personal life for the other person to be comfortable around me. Psyche was usually there to stop me from going too far, but today I was going to end that habit or at least try and control it.

I briefly wondered if Jynx was mocking my tone of voice, with the way she was saying my name.Very monotone, and unlike her own speech. My left eye twitched, while I thinking about this. I eased up when she spoke up again, and stated that she was okay with how "Warnik" sounded. 

"Jynx isn't a bad name either". I replied, returning the compliment.

When I was done looking up at the sky, lowered my head, and turned my attention towards her. When she stated that she liked windy and stormy weather. Why that could've been was lost in my mind, but I didn't bother mentioning it. I thought about her question for a moment, She stated she was from the United States, which is a bit strange, seeing as SAO is made by a Japanese company. Jynx must have lucked out by getting a copy way out there. In any case, I supposed that I would need to mention the country I was from originally.

"Well, in Canada, I preferred the slightly cold and dry season of autumn. But ever since I moved to Japan I wound up appreciating the breezy, clear days of spring like the one we're having right now." I answered as I began slouching in my seat, trying to settle in case this would be a long chat.

Canada? Oohh I hate cold weather. Well I mean I would suppose it's cold because of how high up it is on the map. The closest I've been to Canada is Maine where I was going to college. Spring is a good season but I'd prefer Fall out of everything. Or just those days where the temperature is just right... Sorry. I like to talk a lot.

Just the thought of coldness made me shiver myself. Then I began going a little far into detail and stopped myself from going further. I apologized for speaking so much without allowing stopping time in between,

I've only been in Japan during the Summer. Actually that's where my body would be right now, in my vacation home. It's in Tokyo. My best friend and I bought it together.

Again there I went speaking a little two much but this time I didn't apologize I just went with it and waited to see if Warnik would mind. My legs were fidgeting because of how itchy I was to get up and walk around again. After Warnik spoke I stood up with my hands on my hips staring at him with a grin on my face.

D-Do you wanna do something?

I asked, stuttering a bit because I wasn't sure if he'd want to travel with me since we only just met. He seemed willing to listen to me and sit there all this time so I thought maybe he wouldn't mind walking with me either. Still I continued to smile with my lips to play off that I was going to leave without him whether or not he came. Which wasn't true at all because if he said no I'd probably just plop back down on the bench like it was alright. With a smile of course. What would I be without a smile? Certainly not me or at least not regular old me.

I couldn't help but smirk in reaction to seeing Jynx shiver as she spoke about how she disliked the cold. That was amusing, and I gave her a short nod in response. She was pretty open about herself, and was beginning to seem like an honest individual.

"It's fine. I don't mind at all". I replied to her.

I brushed off the comments about her body being in Tokyo, because I knew I shouldn't be offering information about myself to someone so readily. While I was in thought, some movement was felt beside me and I noticed that Jynx had gotten up and asked if I wanted to do anything. I raised my head up and looked at her bright smile. She seemed genuine, but I was still a little bit wary of her.

"What do you have in mind?" I asked against my better judgement, and with the unease I was beginning to feel about doing something with someone else. Despite those feelings, I got up off the bench and dusted my pants off, adjusting my outfit that had gotten wrinkled in the meantime.

"I'm up for anything." I figured it wouldn't hurt to play along, and stay with her a bit longer. 

I tapped my chin having not really thought this through beforehand. My eyes darted around our surrounding to see and if I could think of a few things. I jumped when a few thoughts came to my head. They weren't the best but alright for now it seemed. 

Wanna go hunting? Or we could just walk around, or hunt for materials. You know there's this lake in the middle of a hunting region if we pass it that I was wanting to see.

The whole time I was naming things off I held out a finger. Now I focused back to Warnik and touched my pointer fingers together repeatedly feeling a little scared that I was being boring. A quiet awkward laugh escaped from me though my brown eyes glimmered with excitement. 

Of course that's all up to you. I hope my suggestions were fine... I'm just trying to entertain you I guess.

My voice was kind of timid towards the end and lacked the confidence my words had before. I was a little shy with admitting how I was trying to basically keep and make sure Warnik remained by my side. It was a little silly to think but it was how I felt. Well I mean I just didn't want to be alone at the moment.

I paused for a moment to ponder the options given to me. I had forgotten about my earlier plan to get myself some much needed col, and materials due to Jynx's momentary sadness, and the chat we had. It was somewhat funny that I stumbled onto someone wanting to take me out hunting, after I socialized for the first time in a long while. I wondered if we'd be able to take on the beasts that wandered the fields. There were two of us, so it'd probably be safe. I was about to agree to her proposal about heading over to this lake she mentioned, and maybe getting a little hunting in along the way, until she laughed,

"Entertain me?" I responded, confused about what she had said. I would think that talking to her alone; seeing her various actions and the way she spoke with her hands was entertaining enough, so I chuckled."I think you're doing a well enough job with that."

"Let's see this lake, and get some hunting in along the way." I said as I approached her, placing a hand on the mace that was on my belt. She looked somewhat nervous for some reason. Maybe it was because she wasn't used to me yet. That was fair. I didn't feel any different, but I wouldn't show that to her, and offered her a smile to reassure her.

"Sounds like fun."

Really?

I was surprised Warnik already thought I was funny or at least a bit amusing. Really I wasn't even trying but I accepted the comment and it even made me blush a little. Everything made me blush and I wish it didn't. Luckily the burning feeling didn't return so it was safe to assume you could barely see it.

I'll lead the way then. I've studied the map a trillion times I'm positive of where we're going.

I marched off in one direction but slowed down so Warnik could catch up to me. He was pretty tall by my side I hadn't even realized the different until now. It was kind of sad my eyes were just catching this. I adjusted my glasses and continued walking ahead after shifting my gaze from Warnik to the location we were at and everything ahead of me.

Err... Thanks for coming along.

The whole time Warnik and I traveled to the outskirts of the safe zone that was all I would say. Eventually we ended up at the outskirts with two paths splitting in completely opposite directions. I turned from one to the other and inspected both. To the left was a region with many trees in the background. A mist came from a hidden source in the forest and the grass was a dark shade of green. To the right however the grass was light almost neon. Rock structures emerged from the ground in various and many spots while the sign of a light rainbow hung in the sky along with fluffy white clouds. 

To the northeast. That way.

I pointed to the right which also happened to be the direction we needed to go in. Both paths were made of dirt that kicked up dust with every step in it. The dirt swirled around out feet. About a quarter of a mile into the walk I spotted a boar grazing by itself which would probably be our best bet for now if it meant hunting.

Want to take on the animal with me?

"Lead on then." I stated, quickly following the girl.

It was nice to get a guide for the lands around the first floor. I have only been outside the gates once or twice. Now that Jynx was offering to take me out I felt more confident about heading out into the fields. This would be a good way to get some experience. We didn't really talk or say much as we walked towards the gates, and onto the grassy plains outside. I didn't really mind, however. I was content with silence, and the awkwardness I was feeling earlier had lessened.

"Don't mention it." I said in response to her thanking me for coming along. I felt like I should've been the one thanking her though, for taking me out of my comfort zone, and her companionship out here. 

I continued following her as we made our way to a fork in the road. Having been told to head to the northeast, I complied, and continued down this path with Jynx in front of me. She stopped dead in her tracks which almost caused me to walk right into her. I was about to ask what was up, when she pointed out a lone boar in the distance.

"Hang on."

I brought up my menu and sifted through it, until I found the party request tab. With a few taps, I sent a request to Jynx. After doing this, I brought out my mace, and took up a batter's stance, readying myself for the battle that would ensue. This would be one of my first few fights, but I didn't want to look like an idiot who didn't know what he was doing. 

"Okay. Ready when you are." I said, giving her a sharp nod.

I noticed Warnik sent me a message of some sorts, so I just accepted it and continued on. Though I did stop to lift my belt across my chest and equip my battle axe. When he gave the signal I slid the large weapon out of its spot and held it with two hands, balancing the weight carefully so it wouldn't tip over. I quietly stepped towards the boar making sure the grass under my sandals didn't crunch too loudly. The boar had its back to me but at last minute seemed to sense my presence so it turned to me. I got startled and my swing became crooked. With a shrug I then turned to Warnik and signaled him over to my side because it was his turn to take a hit at the boar.

[Roll] ID 12336 <---> BD 2 <---> CD XX <---> LD XX <---> MD XX

[Party] Jynx 11 HPWarnik 7 HP

[Mobs] Boar 1 <---> 7 HP

[Hate] Jynx 0HateWarnik 0Hate

[Party Loot] XX

Turn Order:

Jynx

Warnik

Mob

(OOC: I use hate in battle. If you don't know what it is I'll explain. Hate is generally used for tank users, whoever has the most hate points is the person the current monster will attack. So if I had 3 hate and you had 2 hate, the boar would attack me. On a 6-8 BD roll/successful attack you add 1 hate to the score. On a 9-10 critical attack you add 2 hate to your characters hate score. If you fail on the dice roll no hate is added. I'll post as the boar since I summoned it. The mob deals 1 base DMG.)

Jynx seemed pretty confident about this battle, as she accepted my request straight away, and started stalking the boar. The massive weapon she was holding wasn't something I'd expect her to be using truthfully, so it came as a bit of a shock. I was expecting something smaller like a dagger, or a sword.

"Whoa." I exclaimed. For a smaller female, she had gotten way more intimidating with the giant weapon she brandished in her hands. I continued watching. She missed her attack and shrugged, later motioning me to pull up to her side. I took that as the go ahead to attack the boar as well. Taking up the mace in my hands, I started running towards the animal.

My swing didn't hit anything but air, as the boar simply stepped aside. I groaned in response to the blunder. I backed off, and awaited the boar's turn.

[Roll] ID 12340 <---> BD 5 <---> CD XX <---> LD XX <---> MD XX
[Party] Jynx 11 HP, Warnik 7 HP
[Mobs] Boar 1 <---> 7 HP
[Hate] Jynx 0 Hate, Warnik 0 Hate
[Party Loot] XX

(OOC: Thanks for the heads up, but you over shot my HP a little bit. I've only got 7.)

Warnik missed as well though it had been a good attempt. I clapped for him as encouragement but secretly I was glad he missed because it made me feel better that I had as well. Now it was the boar's turn and while it chose who to attack I chewed on a fingernail anxiously. It chose me of course and even turned to me before deciding what move it would use. The animal rushed towards me giving the choice of fight or flight. For some reason my reaction was fight. I brought down my battle axe in front of the animal causing it to stop out of surprise and even back up a few spaces. Bringing the axe over my head with a grunt I swung the weapon with a step forward it almost appeared to be a golf swing.

I was careful not to hit Warnik with the double-sided weapon. The boar got hit on the head and with a loud noise it moved away once again but it didn't give up the fight. Neither did we so I gave Warnik a thumbs up.

Go get 'em Warnik!

I cheered excitedly for the male feeling sure we would win the fight.

[Roll] ID 12342 <---> BD 10 <---> CD XX <---> LD XX <---> MD 4

[Mobs] Boar 1 <---> 3 HP

[Hate] Jynx 2HateWarnik 0Hate

[Party Loot] XX

(OOC: Sorry I copied and pasted but forgot to edit that part ^_^)

"Nice going!" I shouted towards towards Jynx as she managed to land a spectacular hit on the boar. Her battle axe did an incredible amount of damage to it. Jynx really knew what she was doing. I couldn't help but be impressed, and forgot about my missed attack earlier. The girl righted herself, she turned towards me and offered a thumbs up, cheering as she done so.

The girl's enthusiasm was contagious, and I was feeling confident in my own abilities, so I immediately rushed towards the boar again. I brought up the mace above my head, and tried to land a blow as hard as I could manage, but the boar had seen this attack coming as well, and got out of the way before I brought the blunt weapon down.

"Shoot!" I grunted. I was being too predictable, and slow with my attempts. I felt a little distraught, because I missed yet another attack while Jynx was cheering me on. I was doing something wrong here, I was sure of it. I felt like I let her down a little bit, as I jumped backwards away from the boar.

[Roll] ID 12348 <---> BD 5 <---> CD XX <---> LD XX <---> MD XX

[Mobs] Boar 1 <---> 3 HP

[Hate] Jynx 2HateWarnik 0Hate

[Party Loot] XX