[PP-F1] I Could Use Some Help [Jynx, Warnik] [Completed]

Hmm... You use some pretty neat words. That's cool, different too.

I took note of some words Warnik had said before and the one he used just now. I knew what they meant but didn't think anybody else would actually speak like that. It was neat that his vocab was at least a little extended.

I'm tired too but that's just cause I'm lazy. Can't believe I actually even hunted today.

It seemed Warnik had taken up getting edible items from his inventory so I brought out water first then set it next to me before taking out some bread too. I separated the bread into three pieces and took one to nibble on.

Luckily there was actually a place to go to. I'd be embarrassed and angry if there was nothing here. I don't really like nature all too well but this could be an exception I guess.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wh-what?" I blundered.  Jynx's compliment had come out of the blue, causing me to nearly choke on the bottle of water I was drinking. 

"I don't speak too strangely, do I?" I asked after recovering from a coughing fit. My face was a bit red, due to Jynx's observation. I didn't think I spoke weird enough for someone to make a note on it, but apparently I did, and Jynx caught on to it. I shook my head, not really wanting an answer, and wiped some of the water away from my face that I accidentally splashed on myself earlier. I later brought a hand up and over my face, to hide the redness I was feeling in my cheeks.

"I'm a little surprised about going out to hunt, myself. With someone else too, matter of fact." I admitted after I calmed down a little bit, and the blush subsided. Once my attention was brought back to the girl beside me, I noticed that she had taken a piece of bread out, and neatly separated some portions. I took that as a cue to take out the bread  from my own inventory but I wasn't as careful and took a generous bite out of the bread that phased into my hands.

"This bread tastes too bland... like fluffy cardboard." I frowned as I chewed, and swallowed the first bite. I shuddered, and drank from the water bottle of water to help consume the bread. I supposed beggars couldn't be choosers and continued to eat, but my next bites were more conservative. I looked over to Jynx when she stated that they were lucky they found a place like this.

"Eh... I don't think I'd mind too much if our destination turned out to be a bust. The trip can be just as fun as the destination, if you think about it." I told her, somewhat surprised with how much I said, but smiled in her direction regardless, because that's what I believed. 

No no! Of course you don't speak strangely I just thought it was cool you don't have a bland vocabulary...

I shifted my gaze to the ground after Warnik's reaction. I felt bad for making him feel that way and for making him choke on the water. Though I acted like I hadn't seen a thing hoping that would make Warnik feel more comfortable and less embarrassed. 

Yep. I would rather lie around or stuff like that but ya know gotta get out sometime. My friend isn't around and I was scared that maybe I wasn't capable of making friends myself but here I am. With someone else. 

Luckily Warnik decided to speak again since I had a feeling he wouldn't. I lifted my head again to look at the male while he spoke. I shrugged at Warnik's comment about the bread since I didn't really mind and took another bite to finish off the first piece.

Y-You really think so? It kinda was fun. I'm glad you thought so.

My brown eyes danced in admiration. I really hadn't realized how entertaining this all was until now, and how many times I felt amused or happy during the journey. And now I was feeling the same way too. A smile, all teeth this time, became noticeable. Warnik's smile caught on to me.

That thing I said earlier was meant to be a compliment by the way. I still feel bad about it don't know why. So sorry for that.

Although I was still smiling I felt the need to apologize for some reason to Warnik. When I said those words I felt a whole lot better about the situation before and now could finally shrug it off as if nothing had happened for real this time. It mattered if he cared to me, but what I said was mostly for myself. 

"Friends...?" I muttered quietly, in response to Jynx using the word so freely.  I felt she was getting a little bit ahead of herself, but I didn't want to disagree outright, so I nodded quietly to acknowledge what she said. Her company wasn't at all bad, and it was even enjoyable to a degree.  My focus went back towards the lake in front of us when she continued to speak, but I was still listening. I leaned back onto my hands, while waiting on Jynx to finish up her snack.

"There were a few rough patches, like that slippery lizard that was getting on my nerves earlier. But yeah, it was enjoyable." I replied.  Looking over to the girl beside me, I noticed that she was practically grinning from ear to ear. 

"Don't worry about it. I'm not really used to compliments, I suppose." I shrugged, when Jynx apologized for embarrassing me earlier. Though I tried to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal, I felt the redness in my face return momentarily. I scratched my cheek and tried to further the ruse that I didn't care about what she said earlier. I turned away from her gaze, to hide my expression, hoping that she didn't see.

"So, what was this about the friend who wasn't around?" I said in an attempt to change the subject. 

Oh yeah that lizard was kinda gross.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust at the thought of the monster. It was different for sure but still a bother to touch or even fight. Maybe and hopefully it was just Warnik and I failing and not all monsters were gonna be the same. 

All I want is for people to enjoy themselves. I guess it's sort of good you're not used to compliments because then they wouldn't be as special if you always received them. Don't know if that makes sense to you but it does to me.

I muttered while touching my pointer fingers together idly. Usually I was a very fidgety person so I didn't even realize what I was doing. These kinda things were involuntary for me. My head perked up at the question about my friend.

Her username's Psyche and she's real pretty. So far everyone we've met hasn't really taken a liking to her but that's just cause she's a tough nut. Some people don't understand that it takes time to get some to open. Not everyone can like you and be friends with you instantly... Oh.

I scratched my wrists and thought for a moment while pausing my speech.

Sorry for changing the subject... But am I like that? Do I come on too strong? 

"Too many compliments can get rather annoying. I get it." I quickly replied to Jynx as she explained herself, because she looked somewhat uncertain if what she was saying made sense. What she said did though, so I nodded to show that I had understood. In my case, I think I'd rather not have any said to me. I wouldn't know how to react, as Jynx had seen earlier.

I watched Jynx patiently, as she continued to speak and tell me about a pretty lady named Psyche. Must've not been a people person, and disliked social interaction like I had. She sounded like someone I wouldn't mind talking with every now and then. Especially with the part about not being to make friends instantly, and it being hard to open up to another person. My attention was back onto the lake, as I bit into the bread, and finished the last of it. I nodded and offered the occasional grunt to let her know I was still listening. 

"Huh?" I was confused by Jynx's sudden stop mid-ramble, pretty certain that she was going to continue talking about Psyche or shift topics somewhere else. I sat straight up, and shifted my gaze onto her, and raised an eyebrow. Her question had come out of the blue, and I rubbed the back of my head, and thought about the possible ways to answer that question without being too blunt.

"Well... yes. You are somewhat. I'd be a bit more careful If I were you." I answered bluntly, anyway. I wasn't one to mince words, so I was truthful with her question. Even I thought she came off too strong when I first met her in the city, and still thought that here. I was worried that she might be a bit too open and trusting of other players. I wanted to stay silent for a moment, and wait to see her reaction to my answer, but for some reason I decided to keep talking.

"That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. It helps us less social people interact with people like you... I don't think I'd have come out here on this journey with you ,if you didn't insist or ask it of me." I stated. Again I was surprised with how much I had said, but this time I felt more comfortable about talking to Jynx. I scratched my chin idly, and turned my attention back towards the sparkling blue waters after I had said my part.

It made me feel better knowing that Warnik had understood what I'd said. His answer made me frown and my heart drop a little but that was slightly expected. Underneath the hurt I was glad he was honest with me because I know most people would lie. The truth hurts but it also helps. I wouldn't change how I acted not that I could anyways but it felt good knowing what other people thought.

I-It's not?

Warnik had offered me a reassuring explanation to the virtues of being so open which made me smile but with no teeth and only one corner of my mouth curled up. I nodded.

I guess so. You make a valid point. 

I paused to think before speaking. 

Warnik? Thank you. 

To be honest I didn't really know what I was thanking him for. It could be for this day, for his compliment or just being there to accompany me in general. I twirled a piece of my hair and stared ahead. Awkward silence at this point wasn't really awkward. More like comfortable. Or in between the two. I felt alright being around Warnik but it wasn't like I felt weird in the first place. Guess that was one thing that was good about me, I was just a people person.

I was glad when Jynx seemed to take what I said positively, despite what I had said before explaining how it could be a good thing to be so open towards others. I didn't see the merits in that, and only saw the danger in it. Other people could wind up being dangerous, or just rude and hurtful. I had some experience with that in middle school, where everyone would ignore me or talk down to me. That was how I saw SAO as well, but with Jynx here beside me, I wondered if there were some perks to befriending other people.

"No problem." I replied, before leaning back down and went back into my original position. I continued to think and daydream in the silence. I thought I should've been the one thanking her here, since she was the one who brought me out, and did some training with. I'd still probably be wary around other people, and not get too close to other people, but I figured that Jynx would be someone that I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on from time to time.

I gritted my teeth, as I prepared myself for what I was about to do. I was still uncertain about doing this, but I figured that I owed it to Jynx. I sat straight up and opened my menu, keeping quiet as I did so, and trying not to alert the person beside me. I sifted through the menu and looked up the friend request tab. I entered Jynx's name and sent her a request. I let out a sigh after doing so. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to elaborate that I had considered her someone that I'd call a friend, and observed the message on the menu say "Request Sent!"

I hadn't been paying attention, being more focused on the scenery in front of me and even jumped back a few inches when a message popped up in front of me. First I laughed at my behavior and then opened it to peer at the contents. I accepted the friend request of course and then looked over at Warnik. There was still silence but I thought about something before speaking.

We should meet up again. That is if you're up for it of course. We're kinda opposites but... still manage to get along just fine. I could even introduce you to Psyche.

I clapped my hands together twice and smiled gratefully at Warnik. At first I thought he'd never want to become friends and I wasn't going to bother him about the subject but alas it happened. My brown eyes sparkled with amusement. For now I wouldn't mind whether or not the male actually wanted to be friends or was just trying to make me feel better now because in my heart I was sure Warnik was warming up to the idea of a friend like me.

Ready to go back home anytime soon?

I heard a laugh beside me, and at first, I thought it was because of my indirect gesture with the friend request. I gave it to her without saying much and it seemed to be the case, but because she accepted it so readily, I didn't think of any possible bad outcomes or embarrassment that would occur due to her rejecting the request We sat in silence a bit longer as the message of her acceptance popped up, but afterwards Jynx spoke up again. I turned my attention to her right away.

"Not doubt, but opposites can help each other, right?" I nodded. I was implying that I wouldn't mind meeting up with her again some time and seeing who this Psyche person was. She seemed like someone that I could relate to, though I wasn't very eager to do so. I'd still have trouble warming up to other people, and I was still a bit wary of meeting others. Maybe this person I sat next to could help from time to time in that regard. And if Jynx was there, I'd have no problem meeting her friend.

"Just send me a message and, I'll see what I can do," When Jynx clapped and smiled in my direction, I couldn't helped but return it in kind. When she asked if I was ready to go home, I dusted off some bread crumbs had gotten onto my tunic and stood up.

"Lead on, I'll be right behind you." I nodded, and offered a hand to help my companion up.

I grabbed Warnik's hand and halfway pulled myself up as he did the rest. I let go and smoothed down my dress. He smiled a lot more than at first which made me happy knowing that I contributed to those positive feelings of his now. Marching ahead I turned my head to talk to Warnik.

I'll PM you in a couple of days. I know it can get annoying when you just saw the person and they want to meet up again.

I just lied. Lied about knowing how that felt because I always wanted to be around people I knew for any reason at all. Still I did know some felt that way now that I'd decided to take others feelings in instead of just mine. While speaking I paused but now I focused on the road ahead of me, stepping back to walk next to Warnik and party lead him as he'd put it earlier.

I'd walk the rest of the way not really talking since too many things were on my mind. For a second I even forgot Warnik was there along my side the whole time until the sound of his shoes making the grass beside me made it to my ears. Still I ceased to talk, adjusting my glasses here and there, sniffling whenever I felt the need to. It was an old habit I'd picked up from my brother that I couldn't help. When Warnik and I entered town again the sun was low in the sky but not yet setting. Already it was late afternoon. The Town of Beginnings wasn't as busy as it had been. Memories of myself falling down in the crowed flooded my thoughts but instead of frowning from humiliation I smiled at the thought and laughed mentally. I'd tell Psyche the story later for sure. Turning to Warnik I waved and said my goodbyes before rushing off to my inn.

I'll be seeing you later. You really boosted my confidence today... Have fun!

I only nodded in response to Jynx saying that she'd PM me in a few days. Though she was right about it being annoying to have to go through social interactions day in and day out, that only applied to people that I didn't know, or didn't have any business with. I had to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing her again soon.Hanging out with her would give me more chances to head out into the wilderness and do some training. It'd be a lot safer than going out alone, as well.

When we were walking back home, I had to note that I felt a little weird in this situation. Spending time with someone, walking and talking with them, and just the social interaction in general felt strange. I was alone in the real world, didn't really seeing the point in a social life Jynx might have been the first person I've really spoken my mind to in a long time. I didn't know what to make of that, so I quietly followed behind the girl back towards the Town of Beginnings. I was somewhat surprised that not much was said between us, but the silence was welcome. It gave me time to think this through, and figure out just how I felt about this. Jynx turned around and announced that she'd be seeing me later, once we had gotten to the city and approached an inn. I lifted my hand up and gave her a short wave in response as she left.

"Glad I could help." I said, before turning around and heading towards the marketplace. I still felt uncertain about befriending someone in this game. My gut told me that it was a bad idea, but the fact that she seemed to enjoy the trip, and that I helped her in some way made me feel otherwise. I shook my head and chuckled.

"Oh well. I'll figure this out later." I shrugged.