[PP-F2] (Complete) Trial and Error {Breaking the Unbreakable} (Calrex/Ariel)

"Well, this is certainly different from what I had to go through. Frankly I'm kinda jealous I didn't get this. Fighting that golem was way to tense for my liking."

As the training dummy appeared in front of Niklaus Calrex noticed that it didn't allow for any outside players to jump in.

"This is gonna take awhile. You lot might as well grab popcorn and a seat if you plan to stick around."

"Yeah, hopefully you get a couple of really good shots in. That might help speed up the process."

Calrex made note of Niklaus' stance as he prepared to fight the dummy. It seemed to be a slightly more refined version of what one would see most brawlers and fighters take up. Fists are up like a boxer, protecting the face, while the legs are bent slightly to try and make a smaller hit box. For Calrex this seemed to mainly work better if you were more built and possibly worked out with weights. For him he preferred his own stance and style that he developed from observing various martial arts and blending them together.

With that he looked over at Ariel, "So...did you bring any popcorn?" As he spoke he bent his knees and sat down, giving a small wave over to Kimba as he saw the lion cub come into view.

At the appearance of the dummy Ariel instinctively half drawn her black bladed rapier before letting it slide back in its black leather scabbard. Seeing the two fighters take a stance made her remember a old memory from when she was 7 or 8 years old. She didn't liked it but her father was adamant that she had to learn to protect herself and thought her Aikido. Which was opposite to her offensive fighting style with the rapier and would've use it only in self defence, that was why she only learned the basics, focusing more on fencing instead. With a faint smile she summoned up her inventory and checked its content, nodding satisfied she closes it while thinking: "I can't interfere but at least I could support him with some HP post if needed." then she half turns towards Caldrex saying: "Sorry to dissapoint you but no. We can't interfere but we can at least cheer for him...*she starts to grin* or his opponent. You better put up a good show now boys! or I'll want my tickets refounded.

(Due to the closing of the Eval thread, My gear will remain as is.)

Niklaus could hear Ariel's version of cheer. Demanding a good fight or she'll be asking for a refund. Calrex's reply was much simpler. Just hoping for a good bout. I could show them what I know from the real world but perhaps that may be unfair given my status and life back at home. There's a reason the Mikaelsons stay under the radar when possible. Especially myself. Niklaus shook his head and focused on the fight.

The two combatants circled each other briefly. Niklaus being impatient as usual, straight rushed the dummy. Some how this proved effective as Niklaus closed the distance and grabbed the dummy by its neck. Lifting it up, he tossed the mob to the ground and commenced a violent display of ground pounds. Being a mob, the enemy wasn't to happy about that. The moment Niklaus paused the dummy used its strength to boot Niklaus off of it before regaining its stance. 

The damned thing isn't nearly as fast or as heavy as I thought. I mustn't get to cocky though. A wicked grin cracked across Niklaus' lips as he through his hands up and gestured at the mob to "come at him". then again when do I ever follow advice haha. A green aura encased Niklaus briefly as Life Steal Activated. 

[12814] BD: 10 (10+1 Acc) CD: 8 MD: 7

Niklaus: 15/15 (-1)(+1)

Training Dummy: 7/10 (-3) (Bleed Activated 0/2)

Calrex gave a nod as Ariel finished speaking to him, returning hs attention back to Niklaus' fight. He watched as the player managed to knock down the dummy and manage to get on top, sending off a barrage of ground punches before the mob managed to kick Niklaus off.

"That series of strikes doesn't seem like one that hasn't had any training. Rather than simply trying to tackle the dummy to the ground like many 'fighters' would he kept himself a little back and used strikes instead."

As Niklaus's expression changed Calrex's eyes narrowed for a second as he took note of it, "Hm..."

Calrex briefly looked down at his hands as he clenched them into tiger claws for a second, feeling his knuckles crack slightly as they pressure built up between them loosened before he opened them up again. "So Ariel, how did you meet Niklaus over there? I happened upon him only a few minutes ago."

While watching the two roll around in the mud, Ariel carefully observed Nik's movements. A bit too practiced for a fight she thought, but quickly dismissed that thought, she wasn't here to judge:"just sit back and enjoy the show" she said to herself before hearing Cal's question. She let out a smirk while remembering: " I was in the starting city returning from a errand I had for the shop. The streets were crowded as usual but luckily this one*points towards Kimba who simply tilts her head and let's out a roar* yah, she was making some room for me by scarring the newbies. When I stumble across a couple of greenhorns who seemed to argue. He was one of them so I offered some advices and some gifts. Nothing to big just stuff that occupy my shop's inventory. Still, better stuff than the starting gear they wore. See that?" She points to the lifesteal aura " that's from those boots I gave him if I'm not mistaken"

[12870] BD: 4 (3+1 Acc) CD: 11 MD: 2

The fight spurred on. Niklaus had his hands full as the mob went on the offensive. Combining low punches and high kicks, the Dummy kept Nik on his toes as he deflected blow after blow. Though Klaus couldn't land a blow of his own, his bleed effect activated as the mob staggered back. Even if I don't hit him now, I can still let him take damage. I'll end this in two more blows.

Niklaus: 15/15 (-0)

Training Dummy: 5/10 (-2) (Bleed Activated 1/2)

"Huh, well it certainly looks like they're coming in handy."

Calrex gave a smirk before he turned to observing the battle. The dummy began its counterattack with a series of kicks and punches. Going from the previous stance it assumed and its current means of attack Calrex gathered that the game's AI had based its attacks off of taekwondo techniques and attacks.

"Taekwondo is a good martial arts style to use, although from what I can tell those high kicks tend to leave your groin exposed. Too bad Niklaus isn't able to exploit that opening."

"Well even if he's a greenhorn he certainly seems to have brought some experience from outside of SAO into the game. Makes me curious what his background is."

Thinking Ariel couldn't actually remember the enhancement that the boots had but it was too late now to retract that statement. Luckily Nik was too busy with his opponent to make any comment so she let that pass by: "Curiosity is good but don't go asking people around for their real name, even worse about their past. that unless you know them pretty well. SAO players here are very..*she was searching for the right word for a couple of seconds* ...private, about their pasts. I for one like chatting and got nothing to be ashamed off since I've somehow made peace with it. But others aren't so 'carefree' as I appear to be."

Turning her attention on the fight it looked like Nik waited for the right time to launch a counterattack on the golem. "Guess he figured out the AI's movement pattern, he's doing well so far." she said in a firm tone before continuing. "Usually people attack mobs without thinking the first time they meet one. Some kind of pride or other macho stuff, i tend to do that myself but only with mobs I fought before. That is a small part of the reason, every time I got some free time I go on the front lines and encounter new opponents."

Niklaus could hear Calrex and Ariel chatting away as the battle dragged on. Just tune them out and focus on finishing this mob. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled and narrowed his sights on the mob ahead. Feinting a grab for the legs, the dummy re-actively backed away. Using the split second between his move and the opponent's reaction, Nik jumped forwards going for a mid-jump kick but was surprised when the dummy ducked low and blocked the blow with its forearm. It the transitioned straight into an uppercut sending Nik careening backwards. Getting up, Nik wiped his mouth expecting blood but then remembered there wasn't any. I did tell it to come at didn't I. Well lets get down to business. The familiar feel of life returning to him was welcomed as his battle healing kicked in. Simultaneously the Dummy faltered as bleed took it's toll once more before disappearing from the Mob's status bar.

[12876] BD: 3 (2+1 Acc) CD: 12 MD: 6

Niklaus: 15/15 (-1)(+1)

Training Dummy: 3/10 (-2) (Bleed Activated 2/2)

"Curiosity is good but don't go asking people around for their real name, even worse about their past. that unless you know them pretty well. SAO players here are very...private, about their pasts. I for one like chatting and got nothing to be ashamed off since I've somehow made peace with it. But others aren't so 'carefree' as I appear to be."

"Fair enough. I wouldn't ask for their real life name unless they were comfortable with it of course. A lot of people like some kind of anonymity that is given by their avatar names."

When he watched Niklaus try another counter assault on the mob Ariel began commenting on her experience witnessing others when they engaged the mobs. "Yeah, I've watched a couple of people like that. One was wise enough to ask for some advice, since it was their first fight within SAO. I couldn't think of a more broken down way of explaining what they should be prepared for in this game. I just hope my message got through to the both of them."

He stretched his arms as he observed Niklaus' tactics and strategies, recalling his fight with the golem during this same quest.

"I guess since it was a larger creature I was able to perform more agile attacks due to its slower movements. Nonetheless he seems to be doing fine on his own."

He felt his arms shudder slightly at the memory of the battle, steadying his nerves as he gave a calming exhale.

'I hope I'll be able to 'break the stone as easy as they put it when I'll return.' she thought while watching Nik land another succesfull blow, even if the dummy got a hit too, that one was insignificant.It had almost a third of its initial HP left. "Almost done" she voiced her thoughts like a whisper, without wanting to then replied to Cal:

"I find it confusing, going through all that trouble to come up with a nickname. That's why I used my middle name in almost all the games I've played. Anyway I too had some random encounter with first time players that went to battle their first blow, made me remember my first fight as well. These system skills like one handed rapier skill are good but very restrictive I felt like I couldn't fight like I was trained to... Even now that I have almost the max lvl it still doesn't feel the same. I only wish that once I grandmaster it I'll be able to move and act freely like I did IRL." she said while pulling out her rapier and examining it then resuming her chatting:

"Even the weapons feel different, this one for instance I had it be made a little heavier than a normal rapier but it's balance is perfect" she puts her index finger under the place where the hilt meets the actual blade and balances it. "See? this should be impossible IRL. There is no perfectly balanced blade not at this weight category but still SAO has it.It's not that I'm complaining but fighting with imbalanced blades all my life this one feels like a dream..too good to be true. I know it must sound weird but that's the truth." She then puts the black blade back in its scabbard while she continues to watch the match while letting out a yawn, followed by her familiar that already curled up in a furball and was trying to sleep by their side.

[12881] BD: 3 (2+1 Acc) CD: 8 MD: 1

The combatants rushed at each other, trading blows and blocks. A right hook was thrown by the dummy. Niklaus ducked and went for a leg sweep. Only to have it evaded and a countered with a  nice cross hook. Evading the swing Niklaus backed up and disengaged from the combat. I'm getting no where with this bout. All we seem to do at this point is trade blows. This isn't going to end soon. I need to think up a counter action and soon....Or I could always...No that is not an option right now...

Niklaus: 15/15 (-0)

Training Dummy: 3/10 (-0)

Calrex nodded as Ariel began to point out some of the discrepancies she's encountered during her time within SAO, going so far as to show the perfect balance on her sword before resheathing it, "That is true. There's a lot of thing Teayre and I have seen which wouldn't make any sense in the real world. Plants growing next to each other that would normally destroy one another. Strange things of utter beauty that could not possibly exist. And of course..."

He clenched his fist, the yellow glow activating as he drew his arm back, "There's like you said, all of the skills in this game that make use of the assisted system. Although this is only the first ten floors. I'm sure there's much more to be discovered on the upper floors."

He looked back over at Niklaus' battle, seeing that neither side was getting the upper hand, "Hm...maybe he's waiting for an appropriate time to counter?"

While petting her sleeping familiar Ariel showed a mischievous smile while raising her voice a little, addressing Nik who seemed to deal no damage with that last hit: "If you're having a tough time I can send Kimba to back you up since other players can't join in the fight." then with a chuckle she turns back to Cal: "I'm not that of a big fan of active skills but still, I'd like to see more than the 'Charge' and 'Howl'. Who knows what floor 11 will bring us...unfortunately my guild won't be taking part in the next boss battle, so I can't say when that's gonna happen. But I still look forward to exploring the new floor." while looking at Caldrex display his unarmed skill. 'That might come in handy one day, I'll have to take this quest myself pretty soon.' she thought, switching her gaze back to the fight in front of them.

[13100] BD: 5 (4+1 Acc) CD: 7 MD: 7

Niklaus paced back and forth. He eyed the dummy. He felt himself growing fatigued. In reality this fight would've been over quickly. One cannot amass to the glory they once had though. I actually have to work for my strength. How tediously repulsive. The idiocy of having to fight a du-Ack!" Niklaus felt his insides crush beneath the solid front snap kick he had just received. Though the pain was very real his HP bar barely budged. Looks like i will have to use it. Though i don't know how well the game can translate it if at all...

Niklaus: 14/15 (-1)

Training Dummy: 3/10 (-0)

"Yeah, from what I know the raid team for the floor boss is fairly small right now. While I would want to help I'd be useless at my current level of strength. Participating would be suicide."

Calrex looked back as he continued to observe Niklaus' battle. It looked like the dummy had finally managed to land a blow against him, although compared to the golem the blow seemed light.

"There's got to be something that Niklaus had in his arsenal to give him an edge. He's definitely not just a simple brawler, especially if he was able to handle a blow like that."

• 4 weeks later...

[14837] BD: 9 (9+1 ACC) CD: 12 CD: 13 MD: 7

Inhaling deeply, Niklaus tried to connect with his inner self. A demon if you will. All of his hatred, distrust, abuse, and anger harnessed into one physical trait. This trait was known as brutal violence inflamed with blind rage. The dummy rushed towards Niklaus. Jumping it attempted a solid reverse high kick. The blow connected with Niklaus jaw, but rather than buckle from the kick, Niklaus casually grabbed the dummy's leg and pulled the Mob forward. Yanking the leg up with immense strength, Niklaus managed to snap it completely from the golem's hip and tossed it aside.

A grin cracked his face as it severed the space between his lips and connected to the bottoms of his ears. "Now, that I know I can indeed sever body parts, how does decapitation sound?" Niklaus quickly moved forward and wrapped both hands around the dummy's neck, twisting in alternate directions, he snapped the neck of the mob, however he was unable to completely remove it.

As the body fell limp before dispersing into crystals, Niklaus collected his loot and addressed his audience. "Sadly I wish I had finished that sooner. Sorry to bore you lot, however, I have the faintest feeling that I will enjoy gouging the heart out of anybody and anything that steps in the way of completing my goals. The skill I just received will make that all the easier. I despise using knives unless I have to..Well now that we're done her I suppose I should thank our Calrex here for the advice and be on our way. Ariel I suppose you will complete this quest in due time?"

Niklaus: 14/15 (-1)(+1)

Training Dummy: 0/10 (-4) DEAD

[Niklaus received 1 material, 50 Col, and the skill <Martial Arts>]

As Niklaus defeated the training dummy Calrex gave a casual series of claps as he got to his feet, "Nice job there. Congrats. Nah, it was an interesting match nonetheless, so it wasn't boring for me at least."

"Just now...those two blows...the first seemed way to honed for it to be a technique Niklaus just threw out there. He must have practiced it a lot...but on what or who? And the finishing blow. That was more than just a simple choke. If that were on a regular person it looked like he was targeting the arteries that run up the sides of the neck. But the way the dummy was defeated almost seemed like his neck had snapped. That kind of strength housed in Niklaus' build..."

"Well I'm glad to be of help at least. Ariel, if you need a hand with the quest feel free to let me know. I have a feeling that the quest might be slightly different for each person, but it seems like the idea for it is still the same."

With that he looked as he saw a notification come up, "Alright, looks like I have to get going as well. I'll catch you two later."

With that he gave a casual wave as he turned and began making his way back to Urbus, "Niklaus huh? An interesting character to say the least. I'll need to be careful."