[PP-F9] Waking Up... {Calrex & Kaz] [PM for Invite]

Kazuya was swimming through darkness. Of course, it was only a dreamless sleep, but he didn't really know that. For all he knew, he might have already died or something. Suddenly, a light started appearing. It was just a horizontal tear in the darkness at first, but slowly expanded. The light was blinding at first, but his eyes started to adjust. He was awake and alive. He looked around him, wondering how long he had been asleep and how he had ended up on the 9th floor. His body didn't want to react at first. Slowly he regained control over his limbs. It was much like how hard it is to move after one wakes up from being unconscious, expect worse, because of the extended period of time that had elapsed. He finally sat up and gave the landscape a better look. He was apparently right outside of a town.

He looked at his health and opened up his HUB to check his gear. It was all there still. Nothing stolen. Everything was intact with full durability. He looked at his friends and found a few mark with [DECEASED] and [MIA]. Of course he didn't remember most of them, since his memory had been wiped. He unsheathed his sword to use it as a mirror and found that the red and blue that he had been told was his original eye color was still meshed together creating a vibrant violet. 

"What happened?.." He asked himself.

"Geezes it's hot here!"

Calrex gave a couple of heavy breaths as he walked out towards the gate leaving out of the ninth floor settlement, completely clad in his Grand Armamanet, "This...is...just...way...too...hot..."

He gave a few swipes before the armor was replaced by his casual combat clothing. As he felt the armor disappear he gave a sigh of relief, moving some of his bangs out of his face, "I thought the desert was hot, but this volcanic range is on a whole other level..."

As he exited the gate he looked, over, noticing that there was a person stumbling towards the gate, "Is he alright?"

With that he walked over to the player, "Hey, are you alright? You seem out of it."

Kaz looked up at the newcomer. He didn't seem that threatening, unlike him who had the armor stats of some kind of front liner. 

"Huh?" It took him a bit to realize what this guy was saying. "Oh yeah, I'm ok. I'm just a little groggy. It seems I've fallen asleep unknowingly and am just kinda waking up. It's almost like I'm learning to walk again. I also have no idea how long I've been asleep."

He almost fell over. If it wasn't for the guy in front of him, whom he grabbed his arm, he would have been face first in the dirt. "Well this is embarrassing. I used to be a pretty great fighter, and now I can't even stand up," He laughed. "Oh gods, it's hot here. How did I even fall asleep in this place?" It was obviously an attempt at humor, but also the truth.

"That is a good question. Here let me give you a hand."

Calrex slung the players arm over his shoulder as he helped him into the settlement, "Oh the name's Calrex by the way. It looks like you've been out of it for a while, going from the way you're moving."

He looked around, seeing a nearby rock low enough to serve as a seat, leading the player over to it before settling him down, "But you are right, if I decided to hang out up here the only way I could possibly fall asleep is if I passed out from heat exhaustion. It's way too warm for comfort."

With that he stood back up, quickly scanning the player's stats, "Well it seems like you weren't under some kind of status effect, so at least that's a good sign."

Kaz looked at the guy whom had introduced himself as Calrex. He sat down and began thinking of what might have caused him to end up here after such a long time.

"Well Cal, if it's ok to call you that, I don't think I fainted though... Anyways, I feel rude not having introduced myself. The name's Kazuya. I used to be a performer and a fighter, if you couldn't tell from my get-up" 

He stretched, trying to regain some control over his limbs. He flexes a bit and feels his body loosening up. "So what brings you to this hellhole?"

"Kazuya, nice to meet you. A performer? Huh that's interesting, there's only one other performer I can think of currently active, so someone with your occupation is a rarity these days."

As he inquired about why Calrex was on the ninth floor Calrex put a hand behind his head, "You know, with all of the heat on this floor, I'm starting to wonder why that very question as well, heh."

He crossed his arms as he took a seat, "I was originally going to go and gather some materials on this floor, but with the current status of it I feel like I might have been better off on one of the colder floors like the fourth or seventh."

Kazuya leaned back and stared up at the slightly ashy sky, thinking to himself. 'Wow, I'm one af a dying breed... When I was around, performers were all over. They entertained. They used their special skills to fight and support during raids. I guess times change, especially when you've slept as long as I have.'

"So, you probably want to find something useful while you're here, right? I mean, if you didn't, why even come to this hell-hole?" Felling as though he had regained control of his limbs, he stoop up. and turned around. "Well, if that's the case, how about we get started before the heat exhaustion set in." It was more of a statement than a question. 

"Besides, I'm bored and out of it. I don't know if the woman I supposedly love is still around or anything and I'm tired of doing nothing. Well, I guess that's more restless than anything, but whatever. If you let me tag along, I promise I won't slow you down."

As Kazuya got to his feet Calrex gave a nod as he stood up as well, "Yeah, let's get moving. Maybe if we wander around long enough we'll be able to scrounge up something useful."

With that he reequipped his armor as he nodded to his new teammate, "Don't worry about it. Going from your level I'm sure you're more than capable of holding your own, even if you are exhausted."

With that he set out with Kazuya in tow back out into the fields, "You mentioned something about a woman you supposedly love? Who is she? I've met a lot of people during my travels around the floors, but I can't remember anyone mention looking for someone with your username."

Kaz reequipped all his gear and walked with Calrex. "Oh yeah. That's a very complicated thing. Well, I'll start from what I'm sure is the beginning. So not too long ago, something happened that caused a similar occurrence as today. I woke up, but that time I woke up without any memories of my past self other than a few things. Apparently, I was engaged to my lover, Alyce, but I think she fell out of love with me, due to my absence of memory. I couldn't even remember who she was, so I can understand that. She probably wants to avoid me now, but who knows?.. I can't really figure out how I feel about anybody anymore. I feel as though there's just a huge gap in the area of my relationships. Oh, as for the username thing, I think I used to call myself by my middle name, Ryuu. It certainly confused a lot of people when I came around reintroducing myself as Kazuya. You really should have seen their faces," He laughed.

He looked around at the barren wasteland, wondering how they were going to find something useful out there. "So what about you? You have anyone you feel the urge to protect, anyone special?"

As Kazuya began to talk to him about his supposedly lost fiancee Calrex's eyes widened for a second, "Well, actually I may have seen her in passing. I happened upon her and a bunch of other players at some point in the past. I'm not sure where she is now unfortunately, I'm sorry to say."

When he asked about Calrex's feeling he gave a nod, "Actually I do have someone who I am currently engaged to as well. Her name is Teayre. We met when we first started in the game, and thing kind of took off from there. We just recently got engaged through, so it might still be some time before the actual wedding itself. Nonetheless she's been by my side through everything, and I'm more than happy that she said yes."

A blush crept up to his cheeks as he spoke about Teayre, although it was hidden by the helmet of his armor.

Kaz listened intently as Calrex talked about his fiancée and he couldn't help but think how nice it must be to be in love with someone. Sadly though, that would never happen to him. Not since he can't remember anyone and for some reason people didn't really like his company. He noticed in the city people kind of cleared a way for him when he walked and they also kept a noticeable distance from him. 'Well, maybe it's just because they don't like strangers,' was what he always told himself. 

Even through his evident loneliness, Kaz was elated to hear about the plans for a wedding. "That's quite nice, having someone always by your side, isn't it? I feel I had the same thing a long time ago, but who knows," he said through a huge smile. "Honestly, I'd settle for a really good friend that won't disappear or die. I have a hard time losing people, probably why I'm like this." He pointed to his head. "I probably watched a really close friend die and couldn't properly cope with the loss, so my brain just erased all of it for me," he explained, still smiling. "I wouldn't change how I am though. Sure it's a little sad I can't remember people, but it's not all bad. According to a few people, I'm a lot happier than I was before. I guess that's the bliss of ignorance." He chuckled a bit at that last comment.

"Heh, well I'm glad that you have no regrets getting to where you are today. It would be one thing to lose someone, but another to always be filled with regret about it happening. I'm trying to get stronger to hopefully keep from letting anyone I care about die."

As the two continued traveling Calrx listened intently to Kazuya's story about how he got to where he was today, paying attention to each detail.

"He must have had it rough before now. I guess it's no surprise if his mind decided to clear itself in that way. Nonetheless, it's good to see that's he's apparently happy with the way he is. Regret is a strong crutch on people, and that can be hard to move past."

"Hm..."

As they moved around Calrex let his <<Reveal>> skill activate so that he could keep an eye out for any enemy ambushes that could be lying in wait. As the terrain became transparent he didn't see any enemies so far, giving a small sigh of relief, "I'm still surprised that no one else has taken this skill so far. It makes it practically impossible to get ambushed, so it'd be useful against both mobs and PKers."

He looked out at the expanse stretching before him and wondered if there was anybody else out there. It seemed so quiet and secluded to a point. He didn't know if they would succeed at finding any decent materials for crafting or anything in general. He noticed that his companion, Calrex, was examining the landscape with more intensity than before. 

"Hey, you finding anything out there? I assume you're using some skill, but is it working to our benefit right now? It's so hot and boring. I really wish something would happen already." He swung his arms behind his head and kept walking. He sighed. "Hmm... I used to fight monsters right and left when I didn't want to and now that I want one to show up, they are all running and hiding. Boooring."

"Heh, well I guess that's partially my fault. As for your observation yes I am. I'm using a skill called Reveal, and it allows me to actually see through the terrain, so I can keep an eye out for any possible ambushes lying in wait. I guess if we're going to be doing some fighting I should forego it."

He gave a small exhale as he deactivated his skill, looking around, "In any case I think if we wander a little bit further out of town there should be some monsters spawning nearby."

"True. Monsters generally spawn away from the gate and towns. It's almost like they have a certain radius where they can't spawn or at least the spawn rate is miniscule." He continued walking, waiting for something to happen. "So, did you ever participate in any of the floor boss raids? I'm curious because I think I did, but I can't remember who they were or if it's a marvel that I'm alive. It all seems hard but most things seem that way until they are attempted."He kicked a rock to keep him entertained as they talked. 

He yawned. 'Wow, I'm still waking up? It's been a good thirty minutes or more, and my body still doesn't know that it's awake. This is going to be awkward to fight in this condition.'

"The floor raids? Unfortunately no. Before now I was never strong enough to actually take part. I didn't want to be a liability for those that were strong enough to hold their own. It's only recently that I've actually reached a level where I could stand alongside them."

As the two kept walking Calrex continued casually looking around for any surprises, "I do know that in the past a couple of guilds have sent members to participate. One of them, which has kind of disappeared now was the Azure Brigade. The same goes for Square One. Right now the only guild I can think of at the moment which still actively has members if The Cerulean Silence, which is run by Mari."

He took notice for a second as Kazuya kicked a nearby rock, "I'm hoping to take part in the next floor raid once this one concludes."

He looked at Cal. "Really? Only recently? So it really is that hard? I guess I was a bit reckless before then," He laughed at his apparent disregard for his safety. "Well, it still sounds like fun. I wish I could remember the battles." He continued kicking his rock. "So I'm interested. People obviously had lives before this whole Kayaba thing. I can tell I had one at least. I'm pretty sure I graduated high school and was doing something. Maybe I was a fighter or something. I've noticed my body moves like it knows what it's doing. I have the 'Martial Arts' skill and I definitely know what I'm doing there. Isn't it interesting how Kayaba had the guts to just rip millions of people from their lives and play god with them? Well anyways, what did you do?"

"Yeah, the thing I'm more surprised about is that no one caught onto his plan before the game was released. I mean, to pull off something like this would have taken a lot of planning."

Calrex nodded as he agreed with Kazuya's statement, giving a nod as his companion mentioned the <<Martial Arts>> skill, "I actually have that skill as well, along with a few other players. I'm surprised how many people want to use their fists within a supposedly sword-based game, heh. As for what I did before this, I was just a worker at a tech company before getting stuck here, but I've gotten to where I am now more because of my past experience with video games since I was young rather than any formal education, heh. Other than that, nothing really special."

"Oh wow, so are you some kind of computer genius? I think that's pretty cool. As for the <<Martial Arts>> skill, it is kinda funny that it's so widespread here, but technically swords are an extension of one's arm. It makes sense that they would allow you to use the original 'sword' in a sense. Also for people like me, who use a one handed sword and no shield, it comes in handy, allowing me to use kicks and punches at the same time I use my sword. It's a great offensive and defensive technique. Also if you use a knife, it's almost necessary." He drew his sword and demonstrated his point. "You see? It really helps you keep control in a fight, make it more one sided. An enemy can't attack if they need to constantly defend."

"Heh, you know I'm surprised I didn't think of that. I practice martial arts as a hobby in the real world and I do that kind of thing all the time. I guess I never really thought about how it applied in the game. I'll need to test that the next time I get into an encounter."

As Kazuya showed some of his skills with his sword Calrex gave a nod as he retrieved his Grand Blade, twirling it in his hand before giving it a light toss into the air, catching it with the same hand in a reverse grip, "For the most part in the game I've either fought using only my arms and legs or just my sword."

"Maybe the next time I take on a larger creature I'll make use of it. I haven't even made use of the fatal techniques I played with, well, except for that one time against my dark side."