PP - F4 Of Players and Pieces (Ariel) (Completed)

Subject: Free to Meet?

Sender: Calrex

Hey Ariel, hope things are well with you. I was wondering if you had the time to meet up? There's some stuff about the guild that I would like to discuss with you. I'll be at the cafe just a few blocks down from Teayre's shop.

If you have any questions for me please feel free to have them ready as well.

Calrex

After sending that PM Calrex stood up from the couch of the Amethyst Boutique, looking over at Teayre. Before he turned a look of worry and concern was on his face, but as h turned he assumed his friendly persona as he gave his fiancee a quick peck on the cheek, "Keep up the good work Teayre. I'll be just a few blocks down. There's some stuff I wanted to ask Ariel about in terms of Absolute Pin, the things that have been on my mind that you're aware of. I should be back soon, but depending on how the conversation goes I'll be sure to let you know."

With that he exited the Amethyst Boutique, heading down the street until he arrived at a place called "Snowfall Cafe." It was NPC run, meaning that there was likely no other players inside, especially during this time of the day. He stepped inside, ordering a cut of hot chocolate as he took a seat in one of the booths, "Alright, all that's left to do is wait..."

Hearing a familiar *ping* the blonde directly opened her inbox. Usually she would check the entrance door of her shop, that has a bell above. But lately there hasn't been many clients so she simply 'lost' that reflex. She would find out that it's a message from Clrex requesting a meeting with her for a guild related talk. The blonde raised her eyebrow at his particular wording: 'It doesn't sound too serious but my instincts tell me otherwise. Guess I'll find out once I get there." she said while half turning around towards the fireplace, then shouted: "Are you with me?"

She only got a snoring sound as a reply from the sleeping white lion cub. And with a sigh the blonde started making preparations for her departure. Luckily she only had little to prepare and before going out the door she went to her HUD inventory and checked her equipment first. She usually doesn't wear the vambraces and shoulder pads in shop, only her short skirt and sleeveless top, both having a blue navy camo pattern. This time she decided to equip a cloak as well, since the weather was somehow unstable at that particular floor. Covering her blonde hair with the cloak's hood. This cloak was one item from a twin pair she'd made for a certain quest a short while ago. It was darker shade of white white, which had the shop's logo: a crowned white logo on the right shoulder near the biceps area. on the back was embroidered the shield of the Absolute Pin guild.

She left the shop and went into Snowfrost Village, which was at a 5 minute walk from her own place. She didn't have trouble navigating through there since she had her shop inside the city for a while. Once reaching her destination, the "Snowfall Cafe", the blonde went in and searched the area. She could only find Cal sipping on some hot chocolate and the NPC bartender. She would make her way to the bar and order a hot chocolate as well, then make her way towards Calrex while pulling back her hood, revealing her silvery eyes and natural golden blonde hair. She took a sit opposite to him and meet his eyes while speaking: "Got your message and here I am but before we start, are you sure you don't want Teayre to be here as well?" she asked, knowing that Calrex was well aware that if they would discuss official guild related stuff, Teayre as a council member should be here.

As Ariel walked into the cafe Calrex gave a friendly smile and a nod as his guild leader ordered a hot chocolate and sat down across from him. Of course, as he probably expected from anyone who's been around enough, or was a member of the guild council, she had inquired why Teayre wasn't here with here. He gave a calming breath, the hot liquid causing a small mist to escape from his mouth, "Normally that would be the case, but for this I want to avoid a formal atmosphere. It's why I picked a cafe rather than renting out a room and such. You're probably already aware that I'm not too big on situations like that. Besides I'd rather talk to you as a friend rather than as a council member about this stuff."

With that he set his hot chocolate on the table as he looked over at the Crowned Lion, "Before we get into that stuff though, how have thing's been with you? It's certainly been a while since all of us last met."

"I'd rather avoid going straight into the heavy stuff, as I know a lot of these things probably bring to question a lot of concerns I've had. I'd rather ease her into the topic before bringing them up. Approach this with caution."

"Not that good with crowds heh?" she said as the hot chocolate arrived. Seeing how he didn't even noticed her new cloak, the blonde made a couple of elegant hand gestures with her left hand and unequipped it, remaining only in the revealing summer-like blue outfit. Then she went and tasted the hot chocolate then signaled the bartender: "Can you bring me some marshmallows please?" she asked in a polite manner and was served in the next moment. As she added a few to her own drink she pushed the marshmallow tray towards Cal as she started responding to his question in a relaxed manner: "I'm quite surprised of my recent activity. Let's see... first I went on a 'training' session with my protégé and used the opportunity for us to bound a bit. She reminds me a lot of me when I first started SAO, having a hero-like goal to help and save everyone she can. I only hope she won't end up like... some deviant battle freak that can't get away from front lines for too much" she paused as she chuckled. "I know you saw my..... not so pretty side a couple of times, that is why I'm not even trying to hide it anymore. I think I've showed it to her a bit as well." she said in a dark tone at the end, then sipping on some newly improved hot cocoa. The marshmallows added a even sweeter flavour that made Ariel go... "MMMmm" without realizing it.

"A battle trip with Meo huh? That's good to hear that you two are bonding. I haven't been able to train much with Takneil recently, but I see a lot of what I've gone through with him, well, at least sans a significant other."

As Ariel made the request for marshmallows Calrex took a sip of his own hot chocolate, giving a nod, "I've been with Meo on a couple of trips recently, and I can definitely see that she looks up to you as a mentor, so I'm sure you're training her well. As for that side of you I've really only seen it that time with Daeron, Oske, and the others, but at least you've come to terms with it."

"I should probably give my own bit of a status update. Give and take right?"

"Things so far have been fairly alright with me and Teayre. I've talked to her a bit with how she's doing, what with losing Beleram and Azazel leaving the guild. I feel like she was taking it pretty hard before, but so far she seems to be slowly coming to terms with everything. As for me I've been keeping myself busy, heh, as you can tell."

He pointed up to his status bar, showing his level had grown by leaps and bounds since the last time they met, "I guess that in my worry over her I kind of threw myself at expeditions and quests that by the time I decided to take a breather my level had soared. It's kind of funny to see, since when we first met I was leagues behind you and Oikawa. As well..."

Calrex looked up at the ceiling before speaking, "Roc..."

In a flash of light his blue peregine falcon familiar appeared and landed on the edge of the table before looking over at Ariel, "I gained a new familiar. His name is Roc, after the mythological bird of prey. Roc, this is Ariel, the guild leader of Absolute Pin and bearer of the title Crowned Lion."

Since Roc was of a fairly "noble" flock of falcons he gave a bow, or as close to a bow as a falcon could get.

"You'll get there, just give him a bit more time." she said before taking another sip of the hot cocoa as she listened to his short 'briefing' on things. "You did surpass me and Oikawa in level, ah and you were just a random guy in love with his girlfriend when I recruited you two to the Brigade. Where did all that time pass?" she wondered, half-thinking of suggesting a duel to see how he fairs in battle. But all of that disappeared from her mind as a falcon majestically landed near her and even offered a small bow. The 'Lioness' deemed only natural to return the gesture with a respectful nod before extending her hand to pet the familiar on his belly. "A rock as a familiar.... where did I heard that before?" she slowly wondered with a smile. Then directed her attention towards Cal. "It seems you've been a busy fella didn't you?"

"Yeah, for better or worse it seems so."

As Calrex took another sip of his hot chocolate Roc allowed Ariel a couple of rubs of his belly before he decided to swoop down to the floor and begin wandering the cafe. It was fairly clear that the relationship between Calrex and Roc was significantly different from Teayre's and Beleram, or even Oikawa and King. While the others treated their familiars like companions, Calrex treated Roc more like an associate with a common goal.

Calrex set his drink down once again, "But you're right it seems like events in the game have progressed at an even faster rate than I had originally thought. Looking back before joining even the Azure Brigade things seemed to go at a slower pace. But I guess that's just the point of view shifting from that of a lower level to a high rank."

"Yes time did fly by quick, for both it seems." she said as she watched the Roc wandering around showing a faint smile as it reminded her of how Kimba goes around her way whenever she pleases. "As a first impression you two look a lot like me and Kimba, IDK why but I get that feeling. Roc certainly suits your personality from what I see." she said as she thought about the white furball she had left sleeping. she passed her right hand through her hair from her temple to her back, slightly arranging behind her back, as she sank into the chair. She took note that they were remarkably comfortable.

With a sigh she took another sip and decided to meet Calrex's eyes, her guts we're telling her that there was more to this meeting than just a walk down the memory lane. And as much as she wanted to do that right now, her straightforward personality kicked in, as she asked in a somehow sad tone... predicting some serious topic that she most likely wouldn't be as enjoyable as the current one:

"So Cal, tell me the reason why you summon me here today. I'd be thrilled if it was only to talk about the past and ourselves but I have a feeling is about more than that. So what's on your mind?"

"So Cal, tell me the reason why you summon me here today. I'd be thrilled if it was only to talk about the past and ourselves but I have a feeling is about more than that. So what's on your mind?"

As Ariel decided to skip the rest of the small talk and go directly for the subject at hand Calrex nodded obligingly as he took another sip of his hot cocoa before setting it to the side, "Very well then, I'll spare the small talk. I've been doing something, in light of all that's happened both inside and outside of the guild, and some points of concern came to mind that I figured I should address with you. Of course, the reason I wanted to do this informally and without Teayre is because I want to speak on equal ground, not as council member to council member, but friend to friend."

With that he gave a calming breath before resting his head on his hands, elbows propped on the table, "First and foremost of all Ariel, I want to know your reasons for forming Absolute Pin. You've already given us the formal response, which is to fill the power gap that the Azure Brigade left behind with their initial disbandment, but I feel there's more to it than that, because if that were the case I also would like to know what you plan to do carrying forward now that they have been reestablished. I'm sure you've gotten word about that from one source or another."

The blonde let out a smile at Cal's response. not because she found his words amusing but that her instinct were correct once again. "You know they say that to know the future, you have to look in the past. I didn't told you guys too much about myself  IRL and in SAO did I?" she asked in a self-pleased manner. For some reason, even if memories from times long gone were resurfacing, she didn't feel sad... like in other occasions. "Let me tell you about myself a bit before talking about what I have planned for the guild." she said raising up from her chair.

"First of all, my name is Kayla Ariel D'Sole. But you already knew that, 'The Crowned lion' or 'Lioness' are my nicknames but you knew that as well. What you don't know is that I'm a world renowned fencer... or at least that is what I like to think of myself as I attend..." she stopped and let out a small chuckle before continuing "attended almost all major fencing tournaments and championship world wide. 'The crowned lion' or 'Lioness' were the nicknames, sports commentators gave me during my over a decade in years of career. Yes I've been and will be a professional fencer for my entire life." she said ending with a bow, as she was teached by her father. This was one of the few times in SAO that she'd made a full presentation for herself, like she did IRL.

"Huh, well that would explain why you seemed to have such a refined technique, even when we were all lower level than we were before."

"Kayla Ariel D'Sole. So her avatar name is her middle name. Well, I guess that's not exactly unusual. I mean Teayre's and my names aren't the same as our real life ones, although mine is just a mix of the first and last parts of my first and last name."

Calrex took another sip of his drink as he listened attentively to Ariel's background story, giving a nod to her as he set his cup aside.

Roc continued to wander around the cafe, flapping his wings as he flew up onto the back of a nearby chair as his fierce eyes scanned around the cafe before swooping back down to the ground.

Ariel let out a chuckle "Refined? try double refined. Ever since I SAO, my movement in combat has been ...lagging, so to speak. It's like I couldn't move free as I did IRL. Eventually I made some connections and deducted that because I didn't have enough points invested in the rapier skill, the Cardinal System graciously found it necessary to limit and restrict my movements. That hunch' had been proven right with every new rank that I gained in that particular skill. Even more so when I grand mastered the rapier skill, then my body felt like my own again... ironic considering that this is only a mental image." she said while holding up her right hand, extending it and casually examining it before grabbing the air in front of her and lowering down.

"But I'm getting ahead of myself. Where was I .... ah yes my childhood. I won't bore you, I promise just one detail I want to point out from it." She took a sip of the beverage in front of her and continued as her eyes were trailing off..somewhere in the past: "My father, who was also a world renowned fencer, married my mother and then I was born, a few years later. Not wanting his name to perish into oblivion, he had started training me from a young age. Exactly from when I was able to hold by myself a wooden training sword. Besides my mother, he also fell in love with japanese swordsmanship and after learning it himself, he instilled into me the teachings of 'The Bushido Code'. And while I lack in some of the 8 virtues, since young I've proven an affinity towards 'Courage, Sincerity and Honor'." she let out a small giggle, thinking to herself how much that still applies now, after so many months have passed, and how much SAO changed her.

"Anyway forwarding in time I entered SAO to see if my skills IRL would be recognized here in the virtual world. I already told you about that so I'll be passing on to my noob period. After the devastating effect, that the restrictions had to my morale, I was taken into a guild called 'The Guardians of Aincrad' by Lessa. They taught me the basics of SAO and as I joined them, I swore a vow to protect every player in Aincrad, be him red, orange or green. We all had a common purpose, to get the hell out of here!" she explained, her voice gaining an angered tone at the end as she clenched her fist, a involuntary action. After she let out a sigh she continued:

"But such a noble guild couldn't last long and eventually, the guardians disbanded. By that time I've made close friends like: Oikawa, Tyger and Baldur. Luckily for us, Lessa didn't just leave us and before disappearing, she recommended us to the Azure Brigade. Then after losing another important member of my family I have gained a whole new family but unfortunately, Tyger and Baldur have disappeared as well. Along that time is when I recruited you two to the Brigade." and she stopped. During her whole storytelling her voiced changed from sad to angered and to complete neutral. now she looked at Calrex, supporting her head with her right hand, awaiting any kind of response of him, now that she told him about her past. 

Calrex kept quiet as he continued to listen to Ariel explain more and more of her childhood, as well as her progression to how she got to where she was.

"So Ariel was a part of another guild even before the Azure Brigade. The Guardians of Aincrad huh? I only heard bits and pieces about that guild, but I do personally know Baldur. He was also a member of the Brigade, so I guess the two guilds were fairly close in the past."

"So that's how you ended up as a part of the Azure Brigade. I guess for some reason I thought you were a member of them from the beginning, just like Oikawa was a member of Square One.."

"To get out of this game and help all players, no matter what affiliation or status. It is a very noble goal, and one that is hard to uphold. If it's one thing I've come to think about, it's that people are quick to turn against those they think will harm them, especially if there is some kind of symbol representing it. It's why former criminals have such difficulty integrating back into society and such. Once you have that stigma, it's hard to work past it."

"I was wondering why you had decided to pick me and Teayre out of all the people you probably knew to become members of the Brigade. They were always looking for the best of the best, and at that point I had no possible reason to think of myself in that sense. Course I still don't, because that might lead to getting overconfident and such, but nonetheless."

With that he took another sip of his coca, "In any case please continue."

"I wish...or wished. After their last stunt, my love for the Brigade isn't that high." she said, thinking about the dreaded PM announcing that they all got kicked out of the guild. She let out yet another sigh, continuing: "But, I do hope that this 'new' council that restarted the Brigade will be eager to somehow assist, if not ally with Absolute Pin." she said clearly before muttering, more to herself but not bothering if Cal could hear here "I guess some part of me still upholds that vow that I pledged to the Guardians, even now."

Then with a smile, as she remembered S1 the blonde continued: "Oh yeah Square One, man I really wish they were still around. Me and those guys really knew how to enjoy this game. We were even official allies, even if I was a part of the brigade.. I used to go with them in their own guild quests. Too bad that after Azide disappeared, they just.... fallen apart. Srsly, what was that guy thinking..."

Hearing his question, the blonde leaned back in the chair and sipped from the cup. Thinking of the proper answer as the sweet taste of hot cocoa and marshmallows tingled her senses: "You know, I've never meet with the commandants of the guild... except Keith. He helped me when I was down and invited me to the Brigade but as you've seen they weren't pretty active and I set it up in my mind to help revitalize the guild. you asked why I chose you? It's pretty simple, from the moment I saw you my guts told me that there was a lot of potential in you. And by you I'm referring to YOU Cal, I initially wanted to invite only you but as the opportunity arose, in the end I managed to recommend and add you both to the family. Initially, you caught my attention then later came Teayre who was like a bonus, the both of you, surpassing my every expectation. That is why I invited you both in the Azure and to join me found Absolute Pin, you can say I'm a good judge of character." she stopped, showing a kind smile as she remembered them all in the desert, looking for that hidden treasure. Those were the kind of memories she always wished to make with friends and hoped to continue to do so, even after this conversation.... Snapping out of her daydreaming, the blonde straighten up in the chair and leaned a bit forward, ready to listen to Cal's reply to all of that.

"Yeah, I hope Azide's doing alright. He dropped off of the map all of a sudden. I went on a couple of adventures with him, and of course you he was there during the time Oikawa was having trouble controlling a darker side of himself. He seemed like good ally to have. In any case I hope he's doing alright."

Calrex took another sip of his hot cocoa as he listened to Ariel speak about Keith, as well as the guild and her reasoning for inviting both him and Teayre into the guild, transitioning into her decision to pick the two of them to become members of Absolute Pin as well. He gave a calming breath as he gathered his thoughts, giving a nod.

"I never got to meet Keith, but I have met Kiru. I remember that supposedly those two were to be married as well before whatever events happened that resulted in the Brigade's initial disappearance. My best wishes are with them. As well, I'm glad that you believed that there was potential in me. Honestly, I can't see myself being where I am at without Teayre, and most likely if you had only invited me to join I probably would have turned it down, so I'm glad that you saw and recognized her strength as well...However with that I guess that we should transition into what it was I wanted to discuss with you tonight."

"So she doesn't seem to hold her previous 'family' as high as Absolute Pin anymore. I'll need to keep that in mind while proceeding into this."

He produced the Rook piece that Ariel had given him, gently setting it on the table, "Could you tell me why you decided to create physical representations of each of the pieces? I recognize that within any guild there are ranks to be had and such, but I'm curious as to why you had Teayre go and make the pieces themselves."

"Going from what I've been hearing going around, and judging from her response, the two opinions might be on differing ends of the scale."

"Yeah things changed between me and Oikawa since them, I haven't seen him much and even when we do there is just silence between us. I miss the old times, we would find any random reason to go and slay some mobs. Now he's with the Brigade and I with AP, so we naturally distanced." she said, her voice carrying a tinge of regret. So many things have changed for her, she didn't really know what she wanted anymore but one thing shove brightly in her ideals. 

She did the same and forwarded her own pieces: "Why? Well this is where my vanity and pride kick in. As I told you, I've been in competitions for most of my life right? To me this pieces represent trophies, a physical recognition from the council and the guild of all the hard work people put into keeping this guild alive. From my experience, people are more motivated by something physical than rather a simple 'title'. They always looked after something to prove themselves worthy, to remind them that they work hard for something, more importantly something to show to others. The same applies to the chess pieces, in my opinion they are the trophies we give to our member recognizing and respecting their position in the guild. And I made a limited number of them to inspire competition. That is why we have initiations, so that people earn their pieces." she said in an sad voice, remembering all the trophies she had in her own room from fencing championships. She was not blind, she knew people were talking s*** about their guild...more specifically about her. But she decided to emulate a certain person and don't listen to the rest. While sighing, she'd only hope that Cal, who was within the guild and knew how they worked wasn't swayed by such words.

"Hm...so you intended them to be like trophies, to show their progress within the guild huh? I guess that is a good way to motivate the lower ranks..."

Calrex cupped his left hand around his right fist as he rested his elbows on the table, giving a calming breath before responding, "However going from what I understand about things it seems that those physical pieces can be interpreted in a different fashion from what you meant, although I can guess it is also attributed to the chess theme that the guild has."

With that he took another sip of his hot coca before continuing, "Even if you intended them to be simple trophies or trinkets, I can guess some more skeptical people can also see it as a form of expressing power, reminding players that bear the square and pawn pieces to, for lack of better wording 'know their place.' I guess you can say it can be taken as a form of a power play. I would suggest if you want to get that particular point about these understood it possible that you need to let the others know, just to be sure if any of them were expressing doubt that it clears the air."

With that he gave another sip of his hot coca, "The second thing I wanted to talk about was our council system. I can already gather that you had based it off of the Azure Brigade's, since they were the only ones before us that had a council to make the decisions. However I did note that the big difference between theirs and Absolute Pin's is the idea of the King piece, which allows the possessor the ability to veto any decision the council makes. I remember you saying that you bore both the Queen and King pieces, but were planning to fulfill the duties more of the Queen piece. However I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as well, because if this were the case my wonder is why the King piece is needed."

Ariel raised a eyebrow to Calrex's concern and stated in a slightly amused voice: "Skeptical people? I will gladly explain the role of the pieces to any Absolute Pin member and aspiring recruit. The rest of the world can f*** off, too many have died...too many people that I cared for have been gone missing..." slowly sadness once again crepped in her voice. "too many betrayed me..." Realising that she was beginning to gloom the atmosphere the blonde shook her head a couple of time to banish the resurfacing memories from her head, then she took another sip and found out the cup was already empty.

"Barkeep, can you bring me another one please?" she said, raising her tone slightly to make sure that she was heard. Then she directed her attention towards the table, picked up a marshmallow and threw it in her mouth while eyeing Cal next: "You know, since we have the 'promotion' option that 'know their place' thing you're talking about is kind of pointless. If I wanted to make people submit, I could've simply pick up a couple of noobs and promise them glory and fame, then start a guild with them and play with them like puppets. But I chose you guys instead, veteran players and their recommendations." she said, the first part while grinning and then turning it into a soft smile.

As she continued listening, Ariel let out a sigh. "Cal what happened to the Azure? they disbanded because the council voted so right? or have you already forgotten that we were kicked out of that guild, by the commander's ruling, not long ago. because of God knows what reason, we weren't even given a proper explanation. I don't want that to happen to us, I know that at this point that is an impossible thought, that the council will vote our disbandment but in the near future, when we will have a larger council, the majority might vote exactly that for whatever reason. I have given myself that power to prevent that from happening." she took a deep breath and asked in a serious tone:

"What's our ultimate purpose Cal? To get the hell out of here! To conquer each floor until the 100th. So I've took the example of medieval ruling systems, all the expansionist countries had a king, or some other title for their leader. But that leader NEVER lead alone... every one of them had a group beside them and helping them make decisions: The roman emperors and the Senate, English kings and their royal courts, turkish sultans and their advisors, et cetera et cetera." She stopped, as she realised how excited she was becoming while explaining all of that. After a couple of long breaths she started to chuckle:

"That is what I have to say about the King Piece, every time somebody is given that kind of power, it's like a stigma placed on them. I'm not blind, I know I've now got it too, as some people see me as a tyrant or a phony. But as long as our guild members are safe , I will gladly become the monster the rest of SAO wants to see me as." she took another breather as the bartender came with her ordered drink and some more marshmallows. She added them like the last time and after taking a long gulp she asked with a smile while straightening her hair behind her back with her left hand.

"I hope that answers your question Cal, Do you have anything else to discuss?"   

Listening intently to Ariel's response to his query, as well as taking note of the changes in her tone and expression as she explained and elaborated on each point of it Calrex gave a calming breath as he gave a nod, "No, I believe you've done more than well enough in answering the questions I had on my mind."

He reached over and drank down the rest of his hot coca before giving a calming breath, "This is the final point I was planning to get to. The point that I was discussing with Teayre previously...and the second main point I brought Ariel out here."

"Ariel, I'm glad that you have such passion for this guild. I'm sure there was some worry that we thought you were going to jump at the idea of the Azure Brigade reforming, but I can see that you're more than dedicated to making this guild you have put together grow and standing as equal alongside Cerulean Silence and the Azure Brigade. Meo, and I'm sure many of the others have have decided to join Absolute Pin will think the same. Please be sure to take those thoughts to heart. However with that..."

Calrex gave a calming breath as he steeled his senses, putting on his calm face, feeling the determination and courage inside him reflect as he looked over, giving a friendly smile before sliding his Rook piece over to Ariel, setting it in front of her, "This is the second point I wanted to speak with you about. Teayre and I have been talking about this for a little while, and both of us believe that our time as members of Absolute Pin...well...as members of any guild in general, is coming to an end fairly soon. Know that I will continue to perform my duties as one of the Rook pieces of the guild until that time, but most likely my time will conclude with the completion of the guild quest we have organized."

With that he brought his arms back as he rested his head on his hands, "Know that this is not as a result of any of the rumors being passed around or anything else. I wasn't bought out or influenced by anything but my own thoughts and what I have talked about with Teayre. Like I said I appreciate that you see the potential that the both of us have in terms of our skill and such, but after some self-reflection we've both come to realize that it's just not in us to lead others. As well, I feel that I can protect even more people outside of any guild affiliation on my own."

With that he paused for a bit before continuing to speak, "That being said I don't intend to leave you without a council. There are a few members of the guild that I think would be more than suitable to be promoted and fill the slots that I, Teayre, and Azazel have left behind. Of course you have your protege Meo, but the others I feel are suitable are these.

Takneil, my protege, I see a lot in him what would serve to be an even better Rook Piece than I ever was. That being said I intend to have an intense training session to bring him up to par so that he can fulfill that role successfully. There are some thing that I need to help him through personality-wise, but I see a lot of what I've gone through happening with him, so I hope that I can help him get that sorted out so that he can continue to grow by leaps and bounds.

As for Teayre's Knight position one of the new Pawn pieces and an acquaintance I have had from quite some time back, Skylar, I feel would fill the role nicely. From the start he had the wish to participate on the frontlines, and I'm sure that passion will reflect in any strategy he devises. As well I feel that the lighthearted personality of his will help to bring a dynamic balance. After all, while we are trying to get out of this prison, this is still a game, so there are times to, as they say, take a step back and smell the roses.

Now for Azazel's open position of Bishop, I remember that the Bishop is usually in charge of recruitment affairs. I'm sure you're familiar with Hikoru, and I believe him to be a suitable candidate for the position. He's on the shyer side of course, but I believe that with time he will begin to open up and fill that role nicely."

As Calrex finished speaking the waiter came and picked up his empty mug of hot coca before Calrex focused his eyes again on Ariel, giving yet another friendly smile, "I guess now would be the time for me to ask if you have any questions for me?"

• 4 weeks later...

Ariel stood there for several seconds after hearing Calrex out. The silence was prolonged as she grabbed the mug and finished the remaining cocoa inside. The taste was sweet but could not change what she'd heard a few seconds earlier.Her eyes were set on Calrex's Rook Piece on the table. After a sigh her 'a bit too long' period of silence was broken as she muttered the next words in her usual tone, that she herself was a bit surprised to hear:

"I guess I just don't get you two." she simply stated, adverting her gaze and loudly ordering a ale mug instead of the hot cocoa she had till now. "Honestly, what am I suppose to do with you two?" she asked with a light chuckle. 

As the ale arrived, Ariel immediately gulped half of it like it was nothing then continued, her tone remaining more or less unchanged, or at least she was trying to maintain it that way. "You know even the first time I tried to recruit you, I thought that you'd accept on the spot. After all, the Brigade was, back then the strongest guild in Aincrad... a elitist group. Then as now, you took me by surprise with your 'I have to think about it' reply. I was thinking something like: 'Is this guy serious? Does he know how many would kill to be invited like this?' 

But over time,  the more we meet I started thinking differently about you and I like to think that we even become friends. But my thinking process back then is irrelevant and I'll leave it there, Consider your........ um.... resignation accepted.....by your guild leader.... " she stopped for a second feeling her chest tightening as she muttered those words, sadness slowly tinging her tone. She takes another sip and continues:

"As for your suggestions... I'll have to think about it. Depending on their interest and activity I might even consider disbanding the guild if necessary. You do have a point, I did think about the Brigade but judged that this 'new' one doesn't come up to the glory that it once had, no mater how much Zelrius tries to do so." she then leaned back while throwing the Rook Piece in her inventory before continuing. She wasn't sure how she would manage the guild without them.... most likely fail miserably. But it would be her doing only and that thought alone made her calm down a bit. After another gulp of ale and a sigh she asked Cal.

"Anything else you wanna talk about... like your thoughts about the new floor boss?"she asked, wanting to change the topic as soon as possible if not leave right there.