Weapon Skill Rank Bonuses & Shield Balancing

I'm on fire with suggestions! Though it should be noted this is a rewrite of an idea Celesmeh confided with me to back in November, which I've rewritten and reworked to be more functional.

Basically the idea is to give weapon choice some sort of individuality beyond their appearance, along with making Katanas unique in some sort of fashion beyond a waste of 6 skill points to use. This also opens up the opportunity to create more extra skills for weapons we dont know of canonically, as there are far more than we even know exist.

A BIG thing to note here is also regarding shields. Since Block was introduced and more so now with Safe-guard, there is zero reason to not use a shield right now. So what incentive is there now to not use shields? In this system, equipping a shield on a one handed weapon will remove the Rank 3 buff. Thus you gain with a shield great defensive capabilities at the cost of weapon ability.

See the buffs below, bearing in mind shields remove Rank 3 and how a Katana has an edge over standard weapon, which it rightfully should for the skill point investment.

mUllmk5.png

I like this idea, it definitely allows for more customization and thought to be put into the weapon selection more than just a cosmetic feel. From what I've read all of them make sense to their real-life counterparts as well (Ex. The dagger would make you more maneuverable compared to a sword, hence the double EVA boost.

Just to clarify though, are these bonuses on top of the damage boost per rank that is already being used?

Ex: For a One-Handed Straight Sword:

Rank 1 (+1 DMG) > Rank 2 (+2 DMG) > Rank 3 (+3 DMG  / +1 EVA) > Rank 4 (+4 DMG / +1 EVA) > Rank 5 (+5 DMG / +1 ACC / +1 EVA)

I like this idea, it definitely allows for more customization and thought to be put into the weapon selection more than just a cosmetic feel. From what I've read all of them make sense to their real-life counterparts as well (Ex. The dagger would make you more maneuverable compared to a sword, hence the double EVA boost.

Just to clarify though, are these bonuses on top of the damage boost per rank that is already being used?

Ex: For a One-Handed Straight Sword:

Rank 1 (+1 DMG) > Rank 2 (+2 DMG) > Rank 3 (+3 DMG  / +1 EVA) > Rank 4 (+4 DMG / +1 EVA) > Rank 5 (+5 DMG / +1 ACC / +1 EVA)

Yep :)

i agree with everything except for the shield user penalty in this example. I do not think shield users should be penalized for equipping a shield in this example. But rather, I think the two handed weapons should be buffed a bit more in exchange for not being able to equip a shield at all. Because of that, two handed weapon users should have a bit more damage in exchange for the safety of a shield, compared to their one handed counterparts.

Also, I think you should swap the rapier around and have accuracy first than evasion. That is because they are fast attackers and since there is a slight difference between one handed straight swords and rapier.

i agree with everything except for the shield user penalty in this example. I do not think shield users should be penalized for equipping a shield in this example. But rather, I think the two handed weapons should be buffed a bit more in exchange for not being able to equip a shield at all. Because of that, two handed weapon users should have a bit more damage in exchange for the safety of a shield, compared to their one handed counterparts.

Also, I think you should swap the rapier around and have accuracy first than evasion. That is because they are fast attackers and since there is a slight difference between one handed straight swords and rapier.

That is a possibility, something to think over as an alternative. It just seems sensible from real life experience (i do medieval european combat mind you, no japanese) that when you equip a shield your offensive abilities with a weapon and/or mobility is hindered.

The only reason I have that way round is if someone is crazy enough to use a rapier with a shield, they wont have a rank 5 buff that is useless to them as shields  negate evasion. Only daggers ignore this because you just simply don't use daggers with a shield XD