[F2] Mortar and Pestle: Urbus (CLOSED)

potion_shop_lineart_by_nagisadreamer-d8e

Image borrowed from anacathie on DA

Mortar and Pestle

Nestled on the west edge of Urbus, Mortar and Pestle is a quaint little shop run by Mayuri. The building is an adorable stone building with a hardwood floors.  Various blooming plants are in handing baskets along the wall as well as creeping vines for decoration and for potion usage. The walls are lined with shelves containing many concoctions all of Mai's making. There is also a display case to house her crystals as well as display table in the center of the room housing her latest creations. The main floor is divided into the shop and in back is Mayuri's workshop where she brews and creates all she sells. There is also a split loft area; the steps to the loft have been roped off and marked "For Employee Use Only". The loft contains books and manuscripts pertaining to the creation of her items as well as an "office"which Mai has converted into a living space. 

At present, Mayuri has closed her shop and will be creating inventory which she will distribute during boss fights without cost. Her goals is to protect as many citizens of Aincrad as possible and does not wish restitution for her efforts. 

Shop Stats

Assistant Alchemist

Rank 5: 165 EXP

(155 EXP till Rank 6)

6 Crafts per day

MATERIALS AVAILABLE: 9

The CD Result Chart (Rank 5)

[1] = Critical failure (Lose materials)
[2-3] = Fail (Lose materials)

[4] = Bad item (Possible to salvage items on a 15+ loot die result)
[5-7] = Good item  
[8-9] = Uncommon item (1 enhancement slot)
[10-11] = Rare item (2 enhancement slots)
[12] = Perfect item (3 enhancement slots)

Epic Fail, Fail, and Bad Item: 1 EXP

Good Item: 2 EXP

Uncommon Item: 3 EXP

Rare Item: 5 EXP

Perfect Item: 8 EXP

Inventory

Healing and Curatives

Spoiler

Name: +5 Health Potion

Number Available: 1

Quality: Uncommon

Item Type: Potion
Tier: 1
Description: A glass vial filled with a bright red liquid tasting of sweet summer strawberries. 
Heals +5 Health points leaving the user feeling rejuvenated after drinking.

Name: +30 Health Potion

Quality: Perfect
Description: A glass vial filled with a bright red liquid tasting of sweet summer strawberries. 
Heals +30 Health points leaving the user feeling energized and rejuvenated after drinking.

Name: +2 Damage Potion

Number Available: 0

Quality: Rare

Description: A glass vial filled with a luminescent cerulean liquid that smells of the sea and tastes like coconut
Boosts the users damage by +2 for one thread.

Name: +3 Damage Potion

Description: A glass vial filled with a luminescent cerulean liquid that smells of the sea and tastes like coconut
Boosts the users damage by +3 for one thread.

Name: Poison Relief

Number Available: 6

Quality: Uncommon

Description: A glass vial filled with a frothy pink liquid that tastes of wintergreen. Potion removes the effects of poison.

Draughts and Whatnots

Spoiler

Name: Crafter’s Respite

Description: A glass vial filled with effervescent purple that smells like lemon but tastes like limes, allows the user to reset all crafting attempts so that the user may craft again in the same day.

Name: Nerve Tonic

Number Available: 5

Quality: Good

Description: A pale blue, luminous liquid used to calm the nerves of a player in distress. Instantly brings the user a sense of peace and well being upon use.

Transaction Log

Spoiler

Mack- 1 +5 Health Potion     Payment: 150 col + 1 Rare Hwando

Edited by Mayuri

Day One 

Mayuri has set up her shop on the second floor and was rather pleased with how it turned out. It was just so cute, and so terribly empty. Shay knew she had to fix this and set off to the back where her laboratory was set up. The young woman pulled a couple of flowers from her inventory and placed them in her mortar and pestle and ground them into a paste as she was shown. Her cauldron was already boiling and her distillation tube set was already ready for her to begin to combine ingredients so she could fill her bottles.

About an hour later, thing were ready and Mai begun to distill the bright red liquid. Slowly, the first vial was filled and she corked it, completing it. Upon examination she found that the potion was good and it was a normal +5 health potion. Smiling she set it aside and began to work on the second. Upon completion of the second distillation, Mai found that she'd made a +15 health potion. It was perfect!

"Oh my gosh!"She squeaked and very nearly dropped the vial out of excitement.

Mai gingerly carried it over to the counter where she had set the other one, labeled them both, and loaded them into her shop inventory.

CD: 6

+ 2 EXP

CD: 12

+ 8 EXP

Name: +5 Health Potion

Profession: (Alchemist)
ID: 25809
Roll: 6
Quality: Good
Enhancements: None
Heals +5 Health points leaving the user feeling rejuvenated after drinking.

Name: +15 Health Potion

Profession: (Alchemist)
ID: 25810
Roll: 12
Enhancements: +3 HP Recovery
Heals +15 Health points leaving the user feeling energized and rejuvenated after drinking.

2 Materials Used

8/10 Materials Left

Edited by Mayuri

Day Two

Mayuri was not having any luck with her profession today. She pulled two more flowers from her inventory to use and crushed them in her mortar using her pestle. As she mashed the flowers she noticed for whatever reason that the flowers were changing color, Mai tried scooping out the blackened bits, but pretty soon everything was turning a black color. Mai was not about to use any of this because she could already tell the batch would be bad. Instead she threw out everything, washed her mortar and pestle several times and decided to try again tomorrow.

CD: 3     FAIL!

+1 EXP

CD: 2      FAIL!

+1 EXP

2 Materials Used

6/10 Materials Left

• 2 weeks later...

Day Three

Mai was at it again in the back of her workshop. She’d not been having much luck brewing anything lately, not since she had made that perfect potion for Life. Today was no different. She made it to distillation with her first try, but the finished product didn’t seem like it was supposed to so Mai guessed he flower had spoiled. She tried again with another flower, and crushed it, and then added it to the boiling water, but the flower turned the water blue. She wasn’t sure why, but she threw out the batch. Today was a wash! The young girl sighed and decided to give her alchemy a rest for one day. She obviously wasn’t getting any better yet.

CD: 6     BAD ITEM

LD: 3     SALVAGE FAILED

+1 EXP

CD: 1     FAILED

+1 EXP

2 Materials Used

1/10 Materials Left

Mack wandered around Urbus, wondering if the col prices for health potions would be any better if he purchased them from a player run shop rather than from one that was run by the CPU and NPC's of Aincrad. Finding a likely looking shop selling what he was after, the blonde warrior pushed open the door to the Mortar and Pestle and squeezed his way through the door. After glancing around at the shop's shelves for a moment, and having no idea what it was he was looking at, he approached the shop's owner. "Morning," he said, greeting the woman behind the counter. "I am in need of a basic health potion and I don't know what they look like or how to make them. Can you help?"

Mai had been behind the counter when a young man had come in seeking her assistance. "Oh... I've got one right now," she said as she walked from behind the counter and went over to one of the other shelves. Her shop was looking rather barren and she was in need of farming mats and soon. The young woman swiped the bottle of red liquid from the shelf and brought it over to the man.

"This one will heal you for five... it's the basic health potion in the game. If you're interested in purchasing it, it'll cost you two hundred and fifty col today." She said.

Mack considered the offer for a moment. He wanted, and probably needed, the health potion. Having the option to use the extra lifeline, in a pinch, just made sense as he began to move into the higher levels of the game. The price was a bit steep though and he scowled down at the shop's proprietor. Perhaps she'd be willing to consider a bit of col and a trade. That would make the price less onerous and, hopefully, provide the blonde warrior with a spot of career XP to help further level up his smithing level.

"How about one hundred and fifty col now and the next curved one-handed sword I craft that is of rare quality or better," the blonde man asked, eying the blade that Mayuri had equipped. "Provided I can forge one within a week's time. If I am unable to forge one by then I will pay the remaining 100 col of the purchase price, provided that is amenable to you. If so, I will need to add you to my friends list, so I can contact you when the blade is forged and we can then discuss the enhancements you want added to it."

Mai tapped her cheek. It sounded like a very attractive offer. A stronger weapon meant she could kill more efficiently and gather items much more quickly. “Okay,” Mai agreed as she offered her hand to the man to shake upon the agreement. If Mai were a smarter girl she ought to have gotten the offer in writing, but Mai was a trusting and kind soul, if he said he would do something, she totally believed the man would.

“My name is Mai,” she said introducing herself.

With the deal struck, Mai handed over the potion. “Here you are,” she said presenting it in both her hands. Once he took it she opened her HUD and sent him a friend request. “I’m terribly partial to the Hwando. It reminds me of a petite katana.” she said with a smile.

Mai Gives Mack a +5 Health Potion

Mack tapped the health potion and it dissolved as it was added to his inventory. Then he accepted Mayuri's offered hand. His enormous mitt dwarfed her much smaller hand and he tried to shake her hand as gently as he could. That done he tapped the "accept" button on the pop up menu that had appeared, adding the dark-haired girl to his list of friends which, with her addition, now stood at... one. With a few more finger taps, he produced a bag of jingling coins that added up to 150 col, and passed it to her.

"One Hwando, rare or perfect quality, I will see what I can do," the blonde warrior said in a gruff, but not unfriendly tone. "The crafting gods have not been kind the last few days, though. As I said, if I cannot successfully craft something suitable within the next week I will return with one hundred col to pay off the balance. A pleasure doing business with you, you may call me Mack." The behemoth of a man bowed his head slightly in the alchemist's direction and then turned to exit the shop.

Edited by Mack

Mai smiled gently as she placed her tiny hand into his much larger one. He shook her hand much more delicately than expected and for this she was pleased; he might have crushed her small hand otherwise. Money and items exchanged hands and they were all set. He said that he’d not been very lucky with crafting and Mai nodded, “Oh trust me I understand, and I shan’t be disappointed if you’re unable to roll me a weapon. If you don’t get it done, I will see you at the end of the week. Good luck to you, Mack” she said.  The man nodded to her and then left.  The young woman added the col to her inventory and then got back to work.

Mai accepts 150 Col

Day Four

Mayuri came to her shop to craft. She had one material left. So far, of her ten attempts, she was only able to successfully create two successful items: one she sold, and the other she’d given away to a friend that she owed. Mai’s place was empty. If she couldn’t make anything today, she’d have to close up shop and gather more materials for crafting. Pulling her last flower from inventory Mai found that it’d dried out.

“I can’t use this!” the girl sighed as she tossed it into the rubbish bin.

Mai was out of options, She was going to have to close up shop and go material hunting. Walking from her workshop, to the front of the store, Maiyuri flipped her sign and locked the door. For now, she was closed, but she’d gather what she needed and be up and running again in no time.

CD: 2     FAILED

+1 EXP

1 Material Used

0/10 Materials Left

MAI HAS TEMPORARILY CLOSED TO BUILD HER INVENTORY AND MATERIAL STOCK

As the early morning sun beat down on the streets of Urbus, Mack made his way through the town heading in the direction of the Mortar and Pestle. This morning, very early down on the first floor, he had tried a new and more standard less quick way of forging and crafting. Sure enough, the first item out of the forge today had been Cold Star, a hwando sword with a plus two damage modifier on it. He had the weapon stored in his inventory, though it wasn't equipped and he had no desire to wield the weapon. Why would he want the sword when he had Midnight Eclipse? The weapon was a commission to pay off a debt and, as he approached the shop he saw it was closed and shuttered for stocking up. Raising a hand to the door, Mack wrapped sharply on the door and waited for the door to be opened.

Edited by Mack

It was early morning and Mai was still in bed. She felt listless after her fight with Gemini. The young woman had considered fighting the monster to train so she could make sure that even for a small amount of time during the day, Gemini was not off attacking unsuspecting players and killing them off.  The only way Mai could do that was by improving her equips, which meant a better weapon than her Anneal blade.

As Mai contemplated how she would accomplish this task, there came a knock on her door. The young woman had her sign up, so she wasn’t sure who could be knocking. Getting up out of bed, Mai slipped on her purple Kimono and tied the obi quickly as she headed for the door. Upon opening it she was greeted with a very large, familiar site.

“Hello Mack,” she said smiling. “How are you today? Would you like to come in? I’ll make some tea.” Mayuri offered politely wondering what he could be doing at her door so early in the morning.

"Mornin'," the beefy blonde man offered by way of greeting, not bothering to apologize for waking Mayuri up. Not that he was completely sure he had. Surely, there had to be some other shop owners that did their crafting early in the morning before having to go and deal with later on in the day. Unless you had help, after all, it would simply not be possible to craft while dealing with customers and trying to make sure that no one got sticky fingers looking for a five fingered discount on items.

"I'm fine," he continued in the same low tone, brushing past the kimono clad teenager and into her dark shop. At twenty-seven years of age he was well aware that he was one of the elder statesmen of the game, chronologically speaking at least. "Some tea would be nice," he concluded, standing out of the way so Mayuri could provide further instruction for where to go as it would have been rude to simply barge into the shop and assume that he could make himself at home.

"I've got your hwando, to complete our transaction from yesterday," he rumbled, providing the reason for why he would be at her door so early in the morning. "Finished crafting it a few hours ago and thought you'd want it straight away."

Mai opened her door widely to let Mack into her shop. “Please make yourself comfortable over there,” Mayuri said as she pointed to a small round table with a pair of chairs beside it. The shop was rather dark, so Shay pushed open the curtains letting the early morning sunlight stream into her shop. “I’ll get that tea now,” she told the man as she disappeared to the back and into her workshop. As she boiled water in her kettle and put cups and everything else they’d need onto a tray the man continued to speak to her. It seemed that he’d created her weapon and at this Mai clapped her hands together and reappeared into her main shop area and smiled at the man.

“But that’s wonderful!” She squeaked. “I would love to see it… oh but the tea!”

Mai disappeared once more and then came back with a tray containing a kettle, cups and saucers, tea spoons, sugar, milk and a plate of shortbread tea biscuits. The young woman poured a cup of chamomile tea for Mack and set it before him. “Here you are… help yourself to whatever you need and biscuits,” She said as she handed him a cloth napkin as well. Shay poured herself a cup as swell and then sat across from the large man who’d come to deliver her new weapon. 

Edited by Mayuri

"Thanks," the big axe-man said, unsheathing his weapon and putting the blade on the ground so that the weapon's haft rested against the edge of the small table before taking one of the two chairs. When Mayuri returned with the tea and set a mug in front of him he accepted it with a nod of thanks and then picked it up and sipped at it before accepting the offered napkin and placing it across his lap. What the tea needed was a bit of sugar and milk, and so he added a bit of each to the cup and tried it again. That was much better.

With the tea prepared, and not wanting to give the wrong impression for being in her shop to anyone on the outside that might have seen him enter it prior to the opening of business for the day since he was about ten years older than Mayuri, the hulking blonde pulled up his inventory and held out his left hand while he tapped the icon for Cold Star with his right index finger. The hwando blade materialized materialized in his left hand, the nearly black polished wood of the sheath causing the weapon to all but disappear in the low light of the shop, save for the teal Asian style dragons that were worked into the hilt.

"This is Cold Star," he said, holding the weapon out so that Mayuri could take it in both her hands as he used his free right hand to take up the mug of tea once more and raise it to his lips. "If you find it acceptable, then yesterday's transaction is completed. If not, I'll put it up for sale in my shop and see about forging a different blade." He sipped from the mug of tea in his hands quietly as Mayuri inspected the weapon.

Mai sipped her plain tea while Mack dressed his. Finding his cup acceptable, he sipped his tea and then set his cup down getting straight to business. The man opened his HUD and soon produced a beautiful sheathed weapon. She was handed the black teak sheath rather mesmerized by the gorgeous dragons engraved upon it and painted a lovely turquoise. The handle was also wrapped in a similar color material. “May I?” Mai asked before standing and unsheathing Cold Star. It was beautiful! The perfectly polished metal shone brightly under the morning light.

“I find her perfect!” Mai gushed as she placed her new blade back into the sheath. “No Mack, this is simply amazing. Thank you! When you made the offer I didn’t expect you’d do it, but you really did!” Shay bounced as she hugged her shiny new thing to her chest.

“Thank you so very much!”

Mai Accepts Cold Star

Edited by Mayuri

"Very well, then," the smith said, throwing back the rest of the still quite hot tea. The drink burned down his throat and into the pit of his stomach. Pushing back his chair from the table, which groaned under his weight he stood and grabbed his axe, sheathing it at his back once again. It seemed that their business was concluded and the hulking blonde man was still anxious to exit the shop as quickly as possible. It wasn't that he minded the company of the alchemist. But, she was a minor. It was before the shop was officially open. And, if anyone had seen him enter they might get the wrong idea about what was going on so early in the morning behind closed doors between an adult and a minor.

No, it was best to exit now.

"I must be on my way, now. If I linger too long your neighbors may begin to get the wrong idea," he said in a low rumbling tone, tilting his head first to the right and then to the left and popping his neck as he backed towards the door. "If you need something else, you know how to reach me."

Mai blinked in disbelief as the man threw back his hot tea and then stood to go; he’d only just gotten there and Mai didn’t see a need for him to rush off. He spoke and said he didn’t want to give the illusion of impropriety and that caused the young woman to blush. She realized how it would have looked: her long lovely hair down and unkempt, her kimono disheveled, a large man exiting her place of business long before business hours; upon realization it did all seem rather that the pair were in flagrante delicto. The small raven haired woman stood and with a smile and a nod she walked Mack to the door.

“Thank you again, and if I should require anything else I will contact you.” She parroted.

Day Five

Mai had collected a few materials after having killed off the Gemini so she decided to put them to good use. The young woman found herself back in her workshop, brewing more health potions to sell. The first was a bust. She mashed the berries too long and they became a goopy mess which made the potion thicken while boiling. It was a mistake she would not make again. The second came out very well. She figured out her issues with the berries and was able to get them to a perfectly smooth consistency without whipping their elasticity. The result was an uncommon potion that would heal ten health points. She bottled the liquid carefully and labeled it so that she could sell in her shop.

CD: 10      Uncommon Item

+3 EXP  

CD: 4      Fail

+1 EXP

2 Material Used

3/5 Materials Left