[OP - F1] Defeating the Pack - COMPLETE!!

Having spent the last few hours slaughtering boars, not so much for fun as for the limited amount of col that could be made from the kills, Mack had moved on through the fields to their very edge where they butted up against the first bit of scrub plants that led into a forest. With any kind of luck at all, there would be a few more sizable nasties that he could tackle, safely, along the edge of the forest. Not only would that bring in the experience points a bit more quickly, but there was also the opportunity for better loot or, at least, the same low quality loot but in higher quantities. Either way, Mack wouldn't complain.

Creeping along the edge of the forest the axe-wielding warrior would, on occasion, stop and peer inside. After about fifteen minutes of this he came upon tracks that looked as if they belonged to a small pack of wolves. That would certainly fit the bill. Even if they were low-level wolves it looked as if there could be anywhere from four to eight of the beasts running in the pack. Of course, if it was on the high side of his estimate Mack knew he would need some assistance in taking down the pack. That meant a party and the hulking axe-man was loathe to join a party so early on in the game. But, no one said the party had to be forever and if the experience reward proved to be worth it, then so much the better.

Backing away from the tracks, Mack scanned the field around him looking for a few players that might be willing to take up the challenge of tackling a low-level wolf pack. When he spotted some likely players to help he began waving at them and moving in their direction slowly. No need to go rushing in and make them think he was attacking, especially in a game where character death meant actual death.

"Hey, want to make some easy experience points and loot," he called out in a gruff tone, once he was in ear shot of the players. "Found some wolf-pack tracks, can't take the pack on by myself."

Edited by Mack

This place was so deceptive. At least Narshe felt deceived. The morning sun was about to disappear as it shown through the gap in the ceiling between the 1st and 2nd floor, and it's warmth heated my virtual bones. He stayed the night at an inn and his col took an immediate hit. There was no time for moping around. Someone has to get to work! He thought. Narshe walked outside and a fresh air smell had hit him. Everything seemed so real, but it was all fake. He set off for the town gate.

It wasn't long before Narshe heard the voice of a gruff sounding man. He had heard it a bit before he had seen him, the man wielding the starting battle axe. His appearance looked strikingly familiar to Vietnam-era army BDUs, or at least so he thought. He shook his head at the quick reminder of his family and stored it inside. I'll need that if I'm going to make it out of here, He thought. He wondered if he was anything like him, or had any army affiliation on the other side. Unfortunately, it's taboo to ask about those things, so he let it slide. Time to make friends, he guesssed.

Walking across the plain he said, "You've found your guy!" in a loud but clear voice. It was time to use the sword skills he'd practiced. He didn't have a shield and this sounded a little dangerous, but at least this big man looked like he had a level or two under him. Strolling up as nonchalantly as he could manage, he croaked out, "Narshe the Knight." He coughed. You couldn't cough in this game, really. There wasn't a reason to, unless you did something stupid or crazy and your brain told you to. I'll have to work on my introductions, because that was dreadful... He shifted awkwardly and jutted out a quick, "Or just Narshe for short," and gave off an uneasy laugh while sticking out his hand.

The Knight? Clearly, someone had some delusions of grandeur to be introducing themselves so grandly at the level that both of them were, quite clearly, at. Mack would need to disabuse this player of those delusions and set out, clearly, the expectations for their temporary partnership. This, right here, was one of the reasons why he joined parties so infrequently, because too many low level players had delusions of grandeur. The problem was not one that went away at the higher levels either since the high level players usually added narcissism and just general unpleasantness to the mix.

"You are no knight, Narshe," Mack said simply, crossing his arms over his chest. "You're barely a squire. I am at the same stage. If this truly is a death game then you will need to acknowledge the truth of your situation, at all times, in order to survive. Do not think that you are more than you are, that's how you get killed. Becoming a knight is a worthy goal, with time you will reach it." Or die in the attempt, Mack thought to himself, but he didn't voice that last bit aloud.

"I'm Mack, a low-level fighter like yourself," he hulking blonde continued, offering a hand to Narshe to shake. "I've found some wolf tracks, they should lead us to a small pack. Decent XP, probably not much loot. I suggest we form a party to take them down. Loot will be divided evenly between us from the wolves. In the unlikely event that a weapon drops, if it is one handed it is yours and if it is two handed then it is mine. I'll tank, as much as possible, at such a low level as I'm bigger and have more HP than you do. Do we have an agreement," Mack concluded, regarding Narshe with a penetrating grey-eyed gaze.

Beoreson watched as the man walks over to the large soldier. Waiting a few seconds to see if you blond soldier was violent. Beoreson walks over behind the other man and waits for the two men to finish. Subconsciously, he goes to at ease position as he is in the presence of another militant. When they finish there conversation he says, "Beoreson, or Beore for short, I believe I may be of some help to you. As I am also a fighter of strength." He holds his hand for the blond soldier to shake. " I use one handed straight swords, and if a shield drops I need one. I would be fine with getting a decreased amount of col for the weapon or shield."

Edited by Beoreson

After several moments had gone by with Narshe simply staring blankly at him, or maybe that was supposed to be an intimidating glare the blonde warrior wasn't too sure, Mack turned his attention to the other newcomer. He noted, with some satisfaction, that Beoreson had dropped into an easy at ease position. Was it possible that this new warrior also had some background in the military as well? That would certainly be nice since it would mean he was probably less likely to do something stupid and that he would be more likely to make decisions that made some tactical sense as well.

"You're welcome to come too, Narshe. Let's move our Beoreson," the big axe man said, brushing past Narshe and not bothering to apologize for what it was he had said. The soldier would never apologize for telling someone a truth they probably needed to hear. Within a few hundred yards, Mack had led Beoreson to where the wolf tracks were on the ground. "I think there's probably four, maybe five of them. Shouldn't be more than we can handle though." Without another word, he led the party beyond the edge of the woods and into the forest proper, trailing the wolves.

Beoreson fallows the blond soldier though the forest. The forest is filled with oak and other types of trees that he hasn't seen.The trees are about three foot wide and go up at least ten feet. The ground that they are walking over is covered with decomposing leafs from a fake many seasons and there is the occasional tree root. They travel though the forest for about fifteen. "So, when do you think we are going to run into the wolves?" asks the black haired warrior he fiddles with a leaf that he picked up.

ID: 27130
BD: 5 (+1 Concentration, Cool down: 5)
Mack: 23/23
MWolf: 9/12 (-3 Dam)

Mack held a finger to his lips, warning Beoreson to keep quiet. He wasn't sure if the other warrior had ever been hunting before, in the real world that was, but quiet was important. Especially when hunting something dangerous like wolves. Reaching out a hand, Mack silently parted a pair of bushes to reveal four wolves in a small clearing just a few yards away. Using hand gestures, he made it clear to Beoreson that the blonde would leap out first and attack and that th swordsman should follow.

Standing up abruptly, Mack went crashing through the bushes, charging straight in at the wolves. Raising Midnight Eclipse, he swung the blade in a deadly flat arc through the air, slamming it into the nearest wolf. As soon as the blonde warrior had appeared, two of the other wolves let out yelps of surprise and split off into the woods. They'd be back soon, probably going to circle around and try to attack from the rear. But, in the meantime, that made the fight two on two.

ID:27133 CD:7

Beoreson's HP:21

Wolf's HP:10

(( I believe the dice gods have returned, I have hit the last few times.:)  )

Beoreson waits for the blond soldier to make his move remaining silent. Right after the blond soldier breaks from there position the blacked haired warrior charges forward as well. The black haired makes a mental note of the two wolves that broke off of the from the wolves they where fighting. Beoreson raises his sword over his and brings it down onto the nearest wolf to him which is a little off from the blond warrior. He then brings the sword down slicing the right side of the wolf.

The sounds of combat caught her attention. It was a soundtrack that the Guardian was quite familiar with. The low growls of virtual beasts, guttural and enraged. The soft grunts of players as they lash out with their preferred weapon. Boots thudding across hard-packed earth, and the occasional shouts, barking commands or calling for help. These noises carried through the dense forest, winding through the trees, before finding Lessa as she walked. Her pace slowed, and her head tilted slightly as she listened. Often, she could tell from the sounds of battle just how dire the situation truly was, and whether or not it was necessary that she intervene. This time, she was unable to pick-up on the tell-tale signs of distress, such as cries of panic or pain, or the clink of sharp teeth meeting heavy armor. But what she heard was also muffled by distance and thick foliage. To be safe, and to put her own worries to rest, Lessa picked her way toward the source of the commotion.

There, she found two men locked in combat with a low-level wolf. Though she could make easy work of the beast, it would give two weaker players a run for their money. Based on their equipment, and the techniques that they used, these were certainly newcomers. Silently, the blonde observed their fight. If they needed her help, she would be there. If not, she would not meddle. Slaying their monsters for them would not help these players learn or grow.

ID: 27165
MD: 10
Mack: 19/23 (-4 Dam) & (Concentration -4 turns)
MWolf: 9/12

As he searched for an opening to attack the wolf again Mack tried to keep his grey eyes focused all around himself. He knew that the other two members of the pack would almost certainly be back at any moment. Pack members almost never abandoned one another, it was one of the traits in timber wolves that the blonde warrior admired. As he was scanning for the other two wolves while Beoreson and he each engaged their respective wolves his eyes roved across a rather striking blonde woman maybe twenty yards off who was watching the combat. He narrowed his eyes, for a moment, squinting to see her emerald green player marker.

His fuzz faced combatant, not one to miss the chance to strike, dashed in and clamped its jaws around the warrior's right ankle in an iron-like vice grip. Snapping his attention back to where it was supposed to be, on the fight at hand, the hefty warrior swore and slammed the iron-capped butt of Midnight Eclipse into the wolf's snout. It yelped, clearly not seriously injured, but released its grip and backed off.

Edited by Mack

ID:27167 MD:9

Beoreson's HP:21-3=18

Bwolf's HP:10

The black haired warrior decided to take the time to do a quick scan of the area. He noticed there was another player about twenty five yards away from him, and about twenty from Mack. He isn't to sure if Mack has seen the lady that was at his ten. "Hey, Mack there is a girl to your ten o'clock." states Beoreson. The wolf springs into action seeing that the warrior was occupied. The wolf flies towards Beoreson and manages to bite down on the young warrior's left shoulder. Beoreson grunts at the discomfort from being bitten by a wolf again.

"Watch it!"

Lessa lunged, bursting through the low-hanging branches that separated her from the fight. Easily, gracefully, her gauntlet-clad hand closed about the thick handle of her crimson claymore. She freed the weapon from its sheath in a chorus of metallic whispers, and by the time she landed between the raven-haired boy and his foe, the blade was poised for attack.

The wolf, clearly displeased by being suddenly outnumbered, wasted no time taking out his anger on the nearest player. Jaw twisted in an ugly snarl, the beast settled back on his haunches, and then powered forward. Lessa had only enough time to throw up her arm in defense, and as the wolf's teeth closed hard on her gauntlet, she winced. Though she took no damage, it was an uncomfortable sensation.

"Bad dog," she growled, before tossing the canine to the ground with a sudden thrust of her arm. Before it had time to climb back to its feet, she plunged Hell Rose deep into the wolf's prone form. It burst into pixels all around her.

{[27170] BD: 10. Lessa deals 10 damage (base, +2 critical). MD: 6. Lessa takes 1 damage.}

Lessa: 72/73

BWolf: 0/10 DEAD

((Please let me know if you have an issue with me targeting your wolf!))

Edited by Lessa

OOC: Beoreson and Lessa, if it works for you two, I'm going to have the other two members of the pack swing in and attack just as Concentration gets recharged. If we kill the two wolves we're fighting right now before those three turns elapse, I might add a few more members to the pack.

ID: 27175
BD: 2
Mack: 19/23 (Concentration -3)

As the wolf backed away from him, its tail bushed out between its legs Mack launched an overhanded chop at the canine. The fire-hardened blade of Midnight Eclipse knifed through the air and thudded into the ground exactly where the wolf should have been. The only problem was that the nasty, rotten little fuzz bucket had dodged to the left. The blonde behemoth snarled and wrenched his weapon free from the ground, taking a stomping stutter step towards the wolf he was facing. The creature retreated a few steps further to get out of range and growled menacingly from somewhere deep in its throat.

ID# 27181 BD:1

Beoreson's HP:18-1

Mwolf's HP:9

((No problem with it.  Also I thought you had to take a least one point of damage with migration

Beoreson feeling slightly demasculinized after being saved, from a random person, looks up to see who saved him. Seeing the female warrior from earlier he mutters to himself, "Well, good to know that at least she is a friendly." The black haired warrior then reaches down to pick up his sword. Being distracted as he normally is he manages to pick up the sword by grasping the blade. Cursing a few times he then, grabs the hilt and moves towards Mack's wolf. "Not sure if this is time for a greeting but, name is Beoreson." Shouts the black haired warrior as he rushes to aid his friend.

Edited by Beoreson

((Thanks for pointing that out. Seems to be a rule added during my hiatus. Also, I just won't make this a combat turn, so we can get our new mobs straightened out.))

The blue-eyed blonde frowned as she watched the young man struggle with his blade. He was clearly distracted by something, but by what, she could not be sure. Her ability to read a person had once been her mightiest weapon, but after months of not being used, she had grown rusty. The commotion of the battle also did little to reveal what it was ailing the other player. Was he upset by my butting in like that? Which led Lessa to ask herself why exactly she had intervened in the first place. The player probably could have handled himself, and she certainly could have waited until his health was a bit lower, and the situation was more pressing. Why had watching the stranger take damage affected her so badly?

"Sorry I sniped your kill," she called out suddenly, a wave of word-vomit that she semi-regretted immediately after it slipped past her lips. Could she have sounded any cockier? What was she, a twelve year old on Xbox Live? "And I'm Lessa." Maybe offering her name would be a way of smoothing things over. "Nice to meet you, Beoreson."

Edited by Lessa

OOC: Yeah, I'm totally cool with it too. Also, INCOMING! Feel free to put in your own numbers for the HP on the other wolves so you can have a shot at LOOT! Also, the Alpha Male will take a -2 Bleeding Damage in each of the next two posts, don't forget to add that in. :)

ID: 27187
BD: 9
Mack: 19/23
Beoreson: 17/21
Lessa: 72/73
Alpha Male: 15/20 (-5 Dam)
Wolf3: ?/?
Wolf4: ?/?
Wolf5: ?/?

As Mack and his wolf continued to circle one another and glare hatefully, each trying to kill the other with only their eyes, a chorus of howls rose all around the small clearing in which the duel was occurring. Just as Lessa leaped into the fray and hilariously dispatched Beoreson's foe with a one hit quit the forest around the clearing exploded and three more wolves burst out of the trees forming a semi-circle around the axe-wielding warrior. As the now four wolves facing the blonde man began to growl and yip a fifth wolf came bounding in over the half circle of creatures, making a flying pounce towards the warrior. This must have been the Alpha Male of the pack.

Midnight Eclipse knifed through the air and the weapon's path intersected with that of the leaping Alpha Male wolf. As the blade slammed into the creature Mack managed to catch it and hold it suspended in the air, impaled on the end of the bearded axe's blade for a moment through his own sheer strength. Then he  slammed the wolf, axe blade and all, into the ground. The blade bit deep and the alpha male yipped a warning to the other wolves, who began to back away as Beoreson and Lessa made their way over to enter the fray and even the odds.

Edited by Mack

ID:27205 MD:10

Beoreson's HP:17-4=12

Mwolf's HP:9

Beoreson pulls aggro on the wolf that Mack left unattended. The wolf snarls as it lowers it's body low as it begins to prepares to lunge at the black haired warrior. The wolf flies thought the air streaking towards him. Beoreson throws his arm up as to not get his shoulder bitten again. The wolf bites the young warrior's arm and unlike the female warrior's use of the arm shield, Beoreson's use turns it to a tug of war for his arm. Several curses later, he manages to get his mangled arm back from the wolf. He then, backs up a bit and goes into a more defensive stance." Nice to meet you Lessa. No worries about the kill, do mind helping Mack with the wolves up front." asks the black haired warrior.

Shock.

Narshe couldn't move. What he tried to do was be friendly. What ended up happening was a sad, sad reality check. He slowly moved his head to look at his blade, then back up. It stayed like this for awhile. How long, he couldn't remember. I may not be strong now.... he thought, but I will get strong. I will stay the course. He shuffled his feet, feeling in his body somewhat returning. He would catch up to Mack and do as best he could. This was his first fight, but it started today. His long journey. He slowly bent his knees and took off in a sprint towards the wolf slaying party.

"MACK!", He yelled. He stopped his run just as soon as he saw what was unfolding. The big man with the axe had just dealt a giant blow to a sub-boss of the area, and he watched as the alpha wolf dropped to 75% with just a single blow. Nice! Narshe unsheathed his sword. Time for him to prove himself. He knew he was weak, weaker than the rest of the party, but there was but one way to get stronger. He twirled his green blade once and eyed his target. A man he didn't have the pleasure of meeting was in combat with one of the lesser wolves, and has his rear to him. "Flanking!", he screamed as he raised his blade into the air, a green glow surrounding it. He felt like he was moving at the speed of light as system assist took over and guided him to the unexpecting wolf.

#27229 BD-6

MWolf's HP- 9-2=7.

The sword skill landed perfectly. Narshe smirked with delight as the blade sunk into the virtual wolf's flesh. As the blade passed through, a deep red gash was left where his sword was not but half a second ago. The wolf yelped and spun around on all fours, staring down the warrior who just slashed him. Narshe looked at the man he had yet to meet and said, "Your turn." He would have been sweating if there was a game mechanic for that. He gave his blade another flourish and flashed a smile.

With the approach of the new player, and the entrance of a new pack of wolves, Lessa was entirely unsure of where it was that she should focus her attention. Her first instinct was to look over the man, and based on both his technique and his equipment, he was about as green as they came. Her breath caught as she watched him lunge for the nearest wolf; her imagination spun the worst possible scenario, and she found herself convinced he would meet a terrible fate right in front of her. But when his attack landed a successful hit on the beast, her heart slowed slightly. For now, he might be okay. But she would shadow him, just to be safe.

That plan, unfortunately, was complicated quite quickly. From directly behind the Guardian came a low snort, and the sound of hooves picking through the underbrush. She did not have to turn to know what it was, but when she did, her face fell. One of the largest boars that Lessa had ever seen on the first floor had spawned only a short distance from their party. She knew that the commotion they were making would surely attract its attention, and if that happened, it would be bad news.

"I'm going to deal with this," she called out to whichever player was in earshot. "Please holler if you need any help with your wolves."

Without another word, or a second glance, Lessa collected her heavy sword and ran toward the enormous boar. The moment it caught sight of her, it spun on its haunches and charged. She was able to leave a red streak down its side, but not before its tusk found a weakness in her armor.

{[27248] BD: 6. Lessa deals 8 damage. MD: 10. Boar deals 4 damage (2 partial phase, +2 critical).}

Lessa: 68/73

Boar: 32/40 (DMG: 4. Partial phase: 2. Boar will always deal at least 2 damage on a successful hit, ignoring damage mitigation.)

Edited by Lessa

ID: 27252
BD: 9
MD: 4
Mack: 19/23
Beoreson: 13/21
Lessa: 68/73
MWolf: 7/12
Alpha Male: 8/20 (-2 Bleed, -5 Dam [Will take -4 bleed next round and -2 bleed the round after next])
Wolf3: ?/?
Wolf4: ?/?
Wolf5: ?/?
Boar: 32/40

Rather abruptly, all of the wolves decided at once that they wanted to attack. Clearly, their plan was to come to the defense of the injured alpha wolf. The problem with four wolves all deciding at the same time that they want to try and come to the defense of a fifth wolf is that they tend to get in one another's way. Which is exactly what happened. Of the four wolves, none of them managed to make it into position to attack as each of them got in the others' way. As they all backed off a few steps to try it again they, inadvertently, left an open avenue of attack to go and get the injured alpha. Wasting no time, Mack dashed into the opening with Midnight Eclipse raised high above his head. The ebony blade came whistling down and slammed into the back of the stricken wolf for another critical hit. The beast wailed in anger and the remaining four wolves closed ranks around the blonde axe-man, surrounding him.