[PP-F1]-Our Fallen Comrade-Guild

Beoreson was going to have to face the facts. His comrade Lindow, was dead. The warrior had no idea how or why, but he had disappeared off the guild list over a week ago. The warrior finally let his worried get to him an, ran up the steps to the Monument of Life. He arrived at the wall and, spent the next 30 minutes searching the wall for Lindow. Beoreson found the name and, to his dismay he found that the name was scratched out. This marked that Lindow was dead and, to top it off the warrior had no idea how or why. The warrior cursed rather loudly and, struggled to contain his rage. The warrior manage to calm down and, knew that he was going to have to hold a funeral for his friend.

Beoreson went back to the guild HQ and, grabbed his fallen comrades file that had been filled out and, made for most of the guildies. The warrior looked though it and, found the normal information on his fighting skills and, his profession. The warrior stumbled across a name under contacts. The name was Opal, and it was pretty roughly written. The warrior found nothing else and, decided that he was going to have to hold a funeral. He changed out of his mail and, removed the metal cloak. All that was left was a long sleeve black shirt, and black jean like material pants. He sent a message to all of the guildies and, Opal that Lindow was K.I.A and, he was going to hold a funeral for him this Saturday.

Xion had been in his shop, enjoying the rather relaxed day when he was interrupted by a PM from Beorson, a member of his guild. Intrigued, the player had decided to take a look, and was shocked by what the PM contained. 

Lindow, one of the founding members of the guild, was dead. Xion almost fell to the ground, he was shocked. "He can't be....." he muttered as he looked at the PM once more. He then travelled to the guild HQ, for this he had unequipped his armour, and was garbed in the crimson cloak of his guild. He travelled the town of beginnings, going to the teleport gate and teleporting to floor four, where the wandering forge was. 

With a deep breath, he opened the door, to find Beorson, looking over their fallen comrade's files. "Beor..." he said, his voice seemingly distant.  "I am so...so sorry"

"We will mourn him and provide him with a proper guild funeral," Mack rumbled, emerging from somewhere in the building that was, temporarily, serving as the guild headquarters. "When we find Kayaba, we will kill him," the blonde axe-man said simply, pulling the gold trimmed crimson hood of his cloak back to reveal his face. "The rest of the guild should be arriving soon, we will then journey to the Monument of Life to provide him with a proper burial," he continued, crossing his massive arms over his chest. "We've also accepted, as a Recruit, the woman that brought us the news of his death. Her training will be handled by Xion."

My fears had come to light.  Lindow had been slain.  I didn't want to tell Beoreson a week ago that the possible reason for his disappearance from the guild list was death, as I knew how mad he would get, and how difficult it would be to calm him back down.  Beor had sent us all a message about a funeral.  We weren't going to leave his death alone; we had to do something about it.  He was a powerful player, a valued Council member and, more importantly, a friend through and through.  I donned the guild cloak (after all, it was a guild activity) and made my way from the Crimson Diner to the teleport gate, traveled up to the Wanderer's Forge on Floor Four.

I opened the door to see Beor, Xion and Mack already assembled there.  My mood stayed as grim as my clothing, and, for once in my lifetime, I didn't say a thing.  For the first time in my life, I was completely silent.

Hirru raced through the streets as he figured that this was all was just some joke.  Everything was alright and he was going to meet his friends at the Black Palace for some get together to discuss something new.  Maybe they were just messing with him, and all of this was just to get him to join the guild.  That must be it, he thought as he ran into people trying to get to the middle of the Town of Beginnings.  As he thought on about this, he could feel the armor trying to tell him something.  That this was exactly what he read.

"No!  I don't believe it!"

The young hunter ran through the crowds as he found his way to the Black Palace.  He barreled through the doors which were already open, and ran straight to the Monument of Life, a large marble stone wall that held the names of everyone in the game.  Those that have died had their names scratched out with a single line.  As he looked on, Hirru's worst fears came true.

There on the wall was the name of the old man that he had promised to go hunting together.  To learn the ways of the future from.

Lindow

Hirru fell to his knees as tears began falling from his eyes and shattering on the ground.  He had lost one..

"How.... who...?"

He would ask no one in particular as he would not have noticed his friends there.  He only saw that one name before everything would fade to black.  His voice the only thing to come out.

"They will.. pay..."

I was sitting in my newly founded shop location, eating dinner. It had been a rather hectic day. I had spent most of it repairing the things that needed to be repaired. Before i was able to dig in, a notification popped up. I frowned. I began twirling my knife in impatience as i opened up the message from Beoreson, a member of the guild that i only knew by name. I was unfamiliar with most guild members. I looked at the first line of the message and i dropped my knife. I continued to read how Lindow had died. I didn't know this player very well, but still, death in this game was just as serious as death in the real world, maybe even more. I put my dinner back inside my inventory and made my way to the floor portal dress in my guild uniform...

I walked out into the cold air of Frosttown. This reminded me about the first time i met Lindow. Before i made my way to the Wandering Forge, i leaned up against a wall. I was taking it into reality what had happened. Even though i didn't know this guy, he seemed like a really well spoken gentleman. HE had a family that was taken away from him. I then continued back to the forge...

I walked in and a committee had already gathered. I asked who had reported the death. The name Opal was provided. I had never really heard of this player, but this did cause suspicion with me. "Gentlemen" i began. "Did Lindow tell her right before she died or something? This confuses after all. Why was she so special that he decided to tell her instead of someone like you Xion or you Beoreson.

(OOC: Suspicion :D  )

Lawfer had been relaxing in his inn room in the town of beginnings when he received a message from his guild mate Beoreson. It informed him that one of his predecessors of the guild had been killed in action and that they would be holding a funeral service for him. HE wasn't sure how to react, Lawfer had witnessed lots of deaths in SAO at this point. No one close to him, but everyone is dear to someone whether its in the real world or in this virtual world. As he stood up from the chair that he was sitting in, Lawfer exited his room. He was a loyal man, especially to those that took him into the guild when he didn't know how to do much of anything except talk his way out of situations. He was making his way to the Wandering Forge, he was going to pay his respects to his brother in arms. 

As he made his way to the Wandering Forge on floor four, he pulled back the tents door and walked in. Just about everyone was there. The mood was grim, normally Lawfer would try to ease the mood, however, in this situation he was just going to sit in the background. Lawfer had already lost someone important to him the real world, he knew nothing he could say would change anything. He leaned up against a support pillar in the background, listening to his brothers in arms, waiting to pay homage to Lindow.

Opal, a solo player who had known Lindow before he had even become a Blades member, had arrived at the Monument of Life. She was crying on and off all day as she was told the Blades would be here to mourn the loss of their noble friend. Tears in her eyes she rounded the corner and stifled her mouth and hid around the corner. There was someone there she didn't recognize, a boy with green hair, kneeling...he almost looked like he was shaking with anger and fury. Opal didn't know how to address him, or if she even could. Was he here for the Funeral as well?

Taking a small breath and wiping away the tears that stained her face and eyes, she got closer to the monument and heard him utter something. To her chest she was clutching the torn fabric of what appeared to be the crimson cloak. She stood in front of the monument and laid the cloak over to it and then fell to her knees besides the other. She brought her hands to her eyes and balled out tears, she was emotional and weak, a wreck to say in the least. 

"You...[censored] idiot..." she said in between her cries, "You shouldn't have gone alone..." she sniffed, bringing her hand to wipe away the tears from her eyes. Her hands trembled as she touched the crimson fabric, her mouth shivering from the mass of emotions whipping around in her mind. Anger, sorrow, pain...she threw her hands out over the monument and was crying loudly now. It didn't matter who saw her like this...she needed to get it out of her system. 

Hirru felt the presence of another beside him as his anger began to rise.  He raised his head to notice the young woman beside him.  She looked just about as young as many of the other players here.  She was either here for Lindow, or for someone else.  Either way, this was no place for anger, as this was a place for mourning the lost, and continuing the future.  The hunter sighed as he release the tension on his mind before speaking.  He listened to her cries and the cloak that she dropped in front of it.  It was one of the cloaks for a counsel member of the Crimson Blades.  That confirmed it for Hirru, but he had to make sure.

"You.. knew the old man, didn't you."

Hirru would say in a solemn voice.  He didn't want to stop her, as she would need to get it all out of her system.  There was no need for sad emotions on the battlefield.

OOC: Beoreson, since you're busy at the moment in RL, I hope you don't mind. I'm going to get us moving to the Memorial that way the thread doesn't stall out. If you want me to change anything, let me know.

As the Wandering Forge filled up, Mack looked around. He decided that the rest of the Guild had waited around long enough for everyone to show up. He'd be sure to have a chat, privately, with those who hadn't put in an appearance about showing the proper decorum for honoring the fallen members of the Guild. "Everyone, suit up in your Guild Cloaks, we move out in five minutes. Assemble by rank, and Lawfer you're at the rear. Play us a suitable lament, something classy," the blacksmith rumbled and, once the time had elapsed, he led the group of Crimson Blades from the tent. After a short trip through the teleportation portal on the fourth floor each of the Blades that had showed up for Lindow's memorial service filed out of the portal one by one in a single file line, weapons clasped in both hands across their chests with the exception of the bard who was doing his assigned job.

Slowly, the procession marched through the City of Beginnings in the direction of the Monument of Life, a somber and honorable crimson cloaked procession. On entering the monument's main area, the Guild members split into two groups, breaking by file with half following Xion and the other half following Mack. The walked around the monument once and came to a stop before the spot on the wall where Lindow's name had been struck from the list.

"Crimson Blades, present arms," Mack belted out in a commanding tone, not caring a bit that he might have been interrupting the conversation going on between Hirru and Opal. Neither was a member of the Blades, at least not officially yet. Though that would also probably be taken care of here at the conclusion of the memorial for Lindow as well, for Opal at least.

Beoreson draws Shadow's Strike, with the soft sound of metal on wood. It was a simple, but quick movement. His eyes where glazed over with the tall tale sighs of disconnection. Mack would recognize the look on the man's face. Beoreson stood with his sword drawn, his sword in a solid grip of anger. The warrior seemed to be fighting the emotion and, staying in a disconnected state. He noted to himself in the very back of his mind that there where two other people here.

Xion lead the second group solemnly, his head held high out of respect for their fallen brother. As Mack told them to present arms Xion obliged, drawing the slicing Maelstrom, holding it above his head as a few sparks flew across the blade, which were quieter, more subdued than usual, almost as if his weapon was too mourning for Beorson. 

"Even the maelstrom weeps for his passing..." he said, his voice quiet, almost shaky. 

Mack led us military-style through the teleport gate and towards the Monument of Life; the location that would finalize our fears.  I placed my palms together and laced my fingers between eachother, as if in silent prayer.  Our march continued as the axeman split us up, Xion and himself leading a group each.  Blades were drawn as the command to present arms was given, and due to my lack of typical weaponry, I could only raise my interlocked fists up above my head, raising the prayer higher into the air.  I could almost hear the metal of the guild's weapons singing in mourning of Lindow, like a steel church choir.  Silence followed, and all we could do was let the absence of sound consume us, both our group and the two players mourning Lindow at the base of the Monument of Life.

With tears continuing to stream down her face, Opal could only nod at the green haired warrior. She heard the massive march of feet coming towards the hall as it was a company of men wearing the cloaks of the Crimson Blades. Hirru and Opal in between the two groups of men as the head honcho, a blonde haired behemoth of a man she figured to be Mack called out for their attention and to present their arms, or weapons on this matter. The woman was not aware of what Military Funerals were like except ones show in movies or tv series. As they did their thing, Opal leaned over towards Hirru and gave him a small squeeze of his shoulder as she wrapped an arm around him. She didn't know who this guy was, but from the looks of it, he was hurting just as much as she was and this was a time to be with those who knew Lindow. She gave one more gentle hug to him before standing up and backing off from the Monument of Life, allowing the torn crimson cloak on the floor to be still and without presence. 

She stood up and wiped the tears from her eyes and listened for the remainder of the service. She would not speak until these men had completed their ritual, in honor of Lindow this would be the best thing. When the time was right, she would explain to them what had happened. 

"Shield Brothers, we are here today to remember Lindow and to commit his soul from this life to the next," Mack said in a slow and somber tone, his deep voice reverberating around the area where the player's memorial had been established. "We will find the person responsible for his death and we will personally make them regret their actions, whether it be another player or Kayaba himself," Mack continued, lowering his weapon and thumping the paving stones with the iron butt cap of Guillotine. "If any of the rest of you have anything to say, now is the time."

Beoreson gathered what little courage that he could manage and, decided to go ahead and, say what he wanted to. "Lindow was one of the few people that I have sat down and, talked to in this world." states the warrior as his gaze hardened. "That makes him part of the few people that I call friends." says the warrior as there is a small amount of anger creeping into the man's eyes. "My friends are my family to me." says the warrior starring forward his eyes burning with anger. The only person who had seen Beoreson become slightly irritated was Mack and, that was after being chewed on by wolves day in and, day out since joining the game. The warrior stood quietly as he finished up.

Edited by Beoreson

With his hood drawn, Lawfer trailed his guild-mates with guitar drawn. He had received his orders from his commander, a lament. This wasn't something he was too familiar with but with the assistance of the games programming he was able to play the ominous grieving progression seemingly flawlessly. The grief and sorrow could be felt from the guitar, only amplified by the tribute to Lindow's life. As the weapons raised, the performer continued to play. He had no words for his fallen predecessor, only his thoughts. He would do what he needed to make sure no-one else in his guild would suffer the same fate. The spear bearer stayed in the rear of the service, strumming his guitar, one lament was enough for the man. Lawfer never wanted to taste this feeling again. 

((As no one else has posted anything, I will finish the last farewell))

Hirru felt the gentle pressure as the young woman hugged his arm.  He figured it would be the least to do, to allow it to happen.  The lamenting tune and the guilds appearance made him rise from his spot to give the space needed.  The cloak of the lost warrior sat there as it's durability would slowly drain from sitting on the surface for too long.  It was at this point that something in him clicked.  It was like something familiar was being recalled from deep within him.

He could see the elegant uniform; the sadness in the eyes; the folding of material; and, the last salute.

Hirru approached the cloak one last time.  

"Our Lindow.."

Kneeling down, he took the crimson fabric and flattened out evenly.

"Brave of heart and spirit.."

Tightly, he started to fold it in a triangle figure.  Each long fold was divided by his own hand.

"Succeeded by his loving wife and daughter.."

Tucking the remainder, he held the triangular bundle of fabric, in a fashion that only Mack would recognize.  With both hands holding the folded cloak from the underside and over; each hand flat

"..And in the heart of all of his shield brothers and sisters.."

At this point, Hirru could remember that it was supposed to be given to the next of kin, but.. in this case..

"..Now, by your honor and heroism.."

Hirru bent over and placed the triangle on the ground, the right angle of the triangle pointed towards Lindow's scratched out name.

"..We send you to your eternal rest and peace in the next life."

As a final act, Hirru bent his right arm slowly, bringing his hand towards his face where it would straighten into a solemn salute.
When he saluted his fallen comrade, he swore that he could heard a trumpet play Taps, or it could have been Lawfer's music, but he doubted it.

As the last note of Taps played, the last bit of durability in the cloak vanished, and the cloak shattered into many light particles that would fly up into the heavens above.

"..A moment of silence for our fallen brother.."

Opal watched and listened as they gave their final words to Lindow. As she watched the green haired warrior slowly start to pull the fabric of the cloak before it gave way, she knew the pain and suffering they were all going through, but they did not know why or how or even who. The ceremony was too real for the young woman and she cradled herself to the wall sobbing as the dirge continued to play, the words spoken to their lost comrade. As the fabric disappeared from them there was only silence in the air. 

Opal finally finding the strength to stand on her own walked into the middle of the ceremony, still sobbing softly as she addressed them. She opened her mouth, and read the contents of the last known words of Lindow:

"I was tracking down the ones who were trying to kill the children in Snowfrost, I ended up in a cavern to which I can not escape from. I don't have much time...My location is at the bottom of a cavern at the center cave on Floor Four. My equipment will be there, but I don't know how long. Opal, escape this game with your life. Don't do anything foolish, but be brave and strong. And remember those who died in this Hell...Lindow..."

Opal lifted her chin after reading the message, "I don't know why he contacted me instead of the Guild. Maybe it was because I was one of the first people he met. When Lindow talked to me, he didn't see my physical appearance, he saw through the physical and saw the hurt woman inside that has been grasping at life for a long time in this game. He knew I had something precious to offer, everyone in this game is precious and no one should be left behind. He was honor bound to find these PKers. He didn't have to do anything! He could have turned a blind eye, he could have been standing here now with all of us laughing, having a good time! He would be able to see his wife and daughter again..."

The sobs came out heavier as she struggled to continue, "But instead! He decided to be a martyr! To sacrifice himself for the greater good! And we owe him that...We owe him our lives, but what sucks about all of this...Is that he won't be able to tell his family what happened! How they should be proud of him! No one in this game will know what he died for, and why he died for it! They'll continue to live because of his one promise. To protect. To serve. All people. Even those who did harm to him." 

Opal dropped to her knees and hit the floor with her fist, she cried and could no longer contain her outbursts.  

Hirru listened to the message given, and something else clicked.  The cavern that she was talking about, he knew it.  Lindow brought him to it back when he promised to hunt with him again.  Was he the only one that knew?  Was he the only one that can do this?  Those thoughts flowed through him until something came over him.  It was like the darkness within him had been awakened yet again, but he could still see things as he knew.  Everyone in this hall wasn't an enemy that he didn't know, they were all his comrades, and the ones that he lost so long ago.. they didn't exist in this world.  He wasn't apart of this world, or the next.

He turned around to the woman as she bleed her emotions on the ground.  A sad sight, but nothing he hasn't seen before.  There were many that would be doing the same.  Hirru walked up to her before kneeling and resting a hand on her shoulder.

"If the people do not know how much he meant, then we place it in their heads."

He stood up before looking to his friends.  This.. may be the last time he ever saw them, but that was a chance that he was willing to take.  

Walking to the entrance, he continued talking.

"If the public don't know our sacrifices, we let them know.."

As he neared the doors to the entrance, he would draw his crimson blade, Patience.

"If our enemies don't know the fear, we show them.."

His voice turned into a growl as he exit the Black Palace.

"Let the Hunt begin..........."

*Hirru exits thread*