[Poll]I would like Fishing to be revamped/adjusted.

Should fishing be revamped?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should fishing be revamped?

• I like your ideas, I would like them to be implemented for fisherman!
    • I think fishing should be changed, but I don't think your solutions are the way to go.
    • Fishing is fine as it is, change nothing.

This is going to be me officially petitioning that some changes be made to the fishing system. First and foremost, the profession itself is extremely open-ended on what is and is not possible as seen by my questions: Here. Now for the actual issues I have with the current system.

The LD: The idea of using the LD to decide the size of our fish and thus the enhancements that can be placed on it is great, I like that it is unique! What I don't like, is that it creates a wall of entry that no player can get around easily. If you did not roll a number 15 or greater on a 20 sided dice roll, that means you've failed. It doesn't matter if the line was about to snap because you rolled a 10 on the MD or a 1 and saved your fish, it doesn't matter that the CD was a 1 and you would have lost the material anyways or a 12 and got a perfect, you have just lost that material and got nothing useful out of it EXP wise or otherwise. This is a 75% chance of failure no matter what, which only gets higher because of the other dice also having failures. Now that I've whined about it, what would I do to fix it? Personally I'd want to remove the dead fish and boots entirely as they serve no purpose as items and thus would be best off as just losing your bait against a rock or log or something. For the dice though I'd lower the number considerably from a 15(75%) to a 5(25%) and just remove either dead fish or boots entirely and put the remaining item on the 5 and under roll if the item isn't removed already. Oh, and explicitly mention if buffs/gear boosts the chance of the LD.

The MD: This system is nice, as it gives a purpose behind ranks where as without it the difference between rank 1 and 5 is nothing. It also makes sense from an RP sense as fishing isn't a done deal even if you do hook a fish, and since you get new rods as you rank up, it makes sense that a bigger fish can snap your lower quality rods. I would however change two things about the current system behind this. First, I don't see any purpose in a 10 damaging us. Just get rid of it, or change the condition to "cannot fish again today". Secondly, I would like for the entire thing about needing to buy a new rod be removed, and that it is just the line snapping instead of the rod. The NPC merchant is no longer in use and thus we cannot buy a rod from him, and no other profession has a 'failing fee' like fishing does, unless you count merchants if and only if they bought basic items from their own store. It's just a needless penalty that serves nobody. Also please explicitly mention that a buff like evasion wouldn't lower the MD unless you want it to. You and I both know someone will go for that angle otherwise :P

The CD: Give us something useful to do with our good/bad quality fish. If a smith or tailor makes a good quality item for example they can give it to a merchant to make vouchers. Let us perhaps give our fish to a chef to make a dish. To me that seems like a fairly reasonable connection and would give some synergy between the two beyond the buffs they share.

I hope this gets enough votes to be considered and that my ideas are reasonable or at least in the right direction. And yes, I am a salty sailor.

Edited by Kalesh
Added Poll to title and changed some minor grammar issues.

The Fishermen's life is a one that deserves a second look. I agree with all of the above, from the straight up taking damage and almost getting yourself because a rod backfires into your face to simply breaking your rod in the process and losing your chance to continue your profession. I understand this was supposed to be a unique profession like the others and with great risks, but you are hampering the player from making any real strides when you add silly stuff that turns others away from the profession that could be really, really useful with their finds. A few ideas on my part since Lindow was  fisherman:

+ Bad/Good Quality Fish: Sure everyone is gonna use this for RP fluff, but Smiths can sell their good weapons for 25 Col and make some money off the item. As Kalesh above stated, maybe a good quality fish can be turned into a Chef Only Mat, this way the two can have synergy between the two. 

+Boots? How about Treasure?: I thought a cool idea instead of just fish...would be that a Fisherman can have some luck in finding Col, or pieces of a treasure map or something that once you've collected enough pieces you get an extra buff for 1 day, 'add extra craft', '+1 exp for one craft', Or maybe, the higher the quality the different the items can be. Like a Uncommon Potions/Crystals. Or higher amounts of Col. When you think Fisherman, you think exploration and the ocean and you never know what sort of stuff is at the bottom unless it's fished out!

I hope some more people toss in some ideas for the highly looked over profession. There is a lot of room to work with here and the possibilities are aplenty. But the main reason is that this profession needs to be revamped. :D  

• 8 months later...