[PP:F3] Missing You With Every Shot Thus Far (Life) COMPLETED

There was only one person Mayuri wanted to see at that very moment. Shay had sent her party mate a message to meet her in Delilah because she really needed to talk to him; it had to be him. She sat in the corner of the bar, a line of five empty shot glasses all sitting before the somber looking young girl, her eyes puffy and swollen from rubbing them as the tears she wiped away continued to stream down her face in a torrent of everything that she felt.

The Gemini had taken quite a bit out of the young woman. His taunts and demeanor had been tough enough on him, but even worse was the fact that she’d had to kill him.  Even though it was an NPC, and even though he was trying to do everything to kill her, Mayuri felt so very conflicted about the character’s death, especially when coupled with the thought that there could come a time when she would have to kill an actual person. Mai was not equipped to deal with such things. She had been a good girl who led a nice life; she had no malice or discontent in her heart that could strengthen her to become so cold as to kill, even in self defense. It was why she needed Life. He’d been around and seen things, things he didn’t want to. This she could tell by the distance in his eyes every time that she looked at his handsome face. If he had known such harsh things, then maybe he could tell her a way to get through the pain and find the resolve to keep fighting as he did.

The young woman banged her hand on the bar to alert the shop keeper she needed another drink. The man sighed as he looked at the young tearful girl. “Haven’t you had enough little miss?” he asked her.

Mai banged her hand on the bar harder.

The man rolled his eyes and grabbed another glass and a bottle from behind the counter. He filled the glass and then carried it over to her.

“Anymore of these and you’re going to fall off the stool.” He told her as he set the shot down. The young girl grunted and picked up the glass shooting it back and placed it on the bar with the rest.

“Don’t tell me what to do…” she muttered as she folded her arms on the bar and laid her head against them.

Her head was spinning and her stomach ached, but she didn’t know if that was from the liquor or the fact that she’d been crying for so long. She closed her eyes and took  a deep breath trying to make even the darkness from going around in circles.

Edited by Mayuri

Life liked the coming to the 3rd floor on occasion. The atmosphere calmed him and gave him time to think about things alone. More so, people who are going to loose their lives in the next boss fight. It was just like before, and what was he going to do about it? Nothing. Again. Like always. It was times like this he would drink himself sick and wonder what he was doing with his life. Recently he had Mayuri as a distraction but he hadn't seen her in awhile.. in fact it worried him a lot. 

Life entered the bar, swinging the door of the tavern gently open and stopped at the front door lightly scanning over the room, trying to see if anyone was going to take notice of him. His cold expression met the faces of few who thought they'd take a look to see who was walking in and were quick to turn away. The locals at this particular bar and the one on floor 9 knew Life well enough not to set him off when he was in a bad mood, though the one on floor 9 knew the full extent of his depression. After all, it was Alkors floor. Life's eye's stopped however, on a women in a bright kimono, something he wasn't used to seeing in a bar. He walked closer to the lady, her face was flat on the counter. He placed his hand on her shoulder and gently pulled her up so he could see her face "Hey are you alrigh-" He stopped when he noticed who it was. It was Mai... He looked over at the counter and saw 5 empty shot glasses and he sighed heavily. He wasn't exactly sure what to think of her at that point, something must have made her terribly upset to get her this way. "Did something happen, Mai?" He asked her as his cold expression slowly faded into one of concern. 

Edited by Life

The dark was exactly what Mai needed. It’d almost stopped spinning, and she was feeling a little calmer. Someone was talking to her, but she did not lift her head on her own. Instead she was being pried up off her hands. She was going to snap and tell whomever it was to unhand her, but when her red, swollen eyes hit the face of whom it was that pulled her up the young girl sighed in relief. She said nothing, but launched herself off the stool and threw her arms around his middle and began to sob desperately. Mai pressed her face against the blue silk kimono and soaked it with the tears that now flooded from her.

“You came…” She said as she tried to catch her breath, her tear falling in large drops from her eyes as she spoke.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” she said as her crying jag slowed “I was so stupid… so incredibly stupid.”  Once more Mai hugged at Life tightly.

Life was stunned when he felt her instantly cling to him, tears flowing from her bright eyes. He watched her as she spoke.. she was glad? He didn't know what to make of the situation. He gently placed a hand on her back and then comforted her with a gentle hug, pressing her gently against his chest. He stayed silent and looked into her eyes as he reached for her face and wiped away her tears from under her eyes with his thumb. He didn't like seeing Mai this distressed, she was supposed to be always smiling.. or she normally was. "Do you need help, Mai? What happened?" He was going to make the person who did this to her pay. He wondered why she would call herself stupid, he didn't like it one bit. 

Mai stared not Life’s eyes as he gingerly wiped the tears from her cheeks speaking to her gently, asking her if she needed help. The girl nodded and slid back into her seat still looking at him with wide, watery eyes. Her lips trembled as she tried to find the words, but none would come until she took a slow, deep breath and tried once more.

“I went out on my own and I was on the sixth floor.” She looked down at her hands and began to fidget with the sleeves of her silk kimono.

“ I met the Gemini…” Her lips fell silent once more and she closed her eyes and rubbed them to keep herself from tearing up again.

“He was awful Life! He wanted to duel, and I said yes, but I didn’t know it was to the death. He was trying to kill me, and I didn’t want to… but I killed him Life… I killed him! He said he’d killed hundreds of players Life… hundreds… they’re all dead because of an NPC. And I was so angry… they all died, and then I killed him like he did to them. But he’ll come back! They won’t…”

Mai places her hands over her face as the tears began to fall once more and she began to sob.

“I can’t do it… “ the young girl took her hands from her face once more. “I didn’t want to kill him even though he wanted to kill me. It was so hard. The monsters are just monsters… I can kill them. But he was a person Life…” She tried to find the words to explain but nothing seemed to be coming out right. Instead she went back to crying because that came naturally.

Life withdrew two bottles of water from his inventory and handed one to her. He had heard much about the gemeni quest, after a lot of thinking he decided that it would be best not to face him in the weak mental state he already was. He wouldn't be able to beat himself physically if he couldn't even overcome his own emotions. What Mai said about it was true, it had taken the lives of many who fought it, and it never dies. If everyone faced it on a 50/50 chance that they would survive, half of the players would be dead. Most of them were at a disadvantage against the thing to. Personally he hated it and didn't see a need to face it, it was ridiculously strong compared to the other mobs where you could size up your strength. Though he always was tempted to see if he could push himself, and defeat it.

He couldn't believe however that she would have taken on such an NPC without at least talking to him about it. It frustrated him. She could have died. She could have disappeared from the face of the earth. There was a deep anger building up inside him, but at the same time, he realised what kind of an experience she must have had, and he knew the gemini wasn't and easy foe. He was proud of her, but mad at her. "You.. could have died. You know that? What would I have done then?..." He choked up at the thought of losing another person close to him. It made him sick in his stomach, he didn't want to lose her, not now.

She began to burst into tears again and he frowned moving closer toward her. He placed a gentle hand around her and rubbed her back trying to find the words to comfort her. "What you killed Mai, was a program created by the cardinal. This game is twisted, but you shouldn't let it get to you. It won't feel remorse for you, so don't feel remorse for it." What he really meant to say was 'It's ok. Don't worry about it' but he usually always overcomplicated things. He drank from his bottle and edged the bottle he got for her closer towards her. 

“I’m so sorry!” She burst into tears again and launched herself at him as he told her she could have died. “I know…  I’m so sorry.” she hugged him again.

“What would I have done then?he said rather distressed.

It was then that his words really hit home and she felt entirely awful.  

She was his party mate. He’d have known the moment she died, and what if she had? What would he have gone through if that actually happened? It was too much for her to take. From his tone, he must’ve lost a few people already, and she did not want to be another body for the count.

“It honestly didn’t mean to. I only went there to see the main settlement because I heard it was pretty and I got lost. I met him and he said he’d help me if I won the duel. I didn’t know what his game was and I didn’t seek him out on purpose. I wanted to contact you, but I could barely keep him off me. So I fought him, and I won.  And when it was all over, you were the first person I wanted to see. That’s why I sent you that message to come here; you’re my only real friend here, Life.” She rambled on still hugging the boy. She pulled back to look him in the eyes.

“I don’t mean to cause you trouble.”

When he burst into tears a second time after explaining, Life gently rubbed her back and she took a deep breath calming down a bit. He listened to her as she spoke of not being able to kill another person. Ever so calmly he told her that Gemini wasn’t a person though, just a part of the game.

“I know … but it made me really think Life. What happens when I’m confronted with player killers?” She asked him somberly.  “They’re out there. What if they try to kill me? I don’t want to die, but I don’t want to take another person’s life either, I don’t think I could. I’m scared to die, but I’m scared of becoming a monster.”

Life was a rather stoic figure; he looked at her coolly, but with concern, and it was rather comforting in a way.  He nudged a bottle of water toward her and she took it and drank the entire thing down feeling rather parched.

“Thank you,” she said setting the empty glass down on the bar. She looked at him and sighed heavily, feeling much calmer than before but still rather uneasy about everything she told him. 

Mayuri began to ramble about what happened, appearing rather hysterical about the whole situation. And then she said it, he was her only real friend? He felt as though his heart had been pierced with an arrow. Though he wasn't quite sure what the feeling was or why he felt it. He found it hard to believe that Mai was the type of person to only have a small group of friends, she was kind, beautiful and caring. "You're no trouble Mai.. none at all" He took a deep breath and continued to rub her back gently as she spoke. 

Life thought on the notion of Mai being confronted with a player killer, brooding over the implications of such an event. "We're party members now. If you run into one they'll also have to deal with me. I'd prefer if you didn't go off on your own anymore.. You made me very worried." He took a deep breath and hugged her tightly before continuing. His memories about what happened with Mari also began to come back as he tried to wrap his head around what it means to be a pker and what killing a pker makes you. He remembers telling Mari the same thing, "Killing monsters don't make you a monster..." his voice drifted and his eyes appeared to be distant. He felt sick when he thought about it, what he did to her and what he put her through.. it wasn't his fault. 

Just when he thought he was finally overcoming what happened, he had to deal with this now. Constantly worrying if another person close to him would disappear. He didn't like having to deal with those thoughts. 

Life held on to Shay as she hugged him tightly. She felt better, safer being with Life and she knew with him around nothing bad would happen to her. He told her he would prefer for her not to wander off anymore and she agreed. "I won't, I promise." She said as she clung to the young man around the neck, not willing to detach herself from him. He was gentle and kind to her as he held her close, and she found she liked him all the more for it. Shay's stomach flip flopped and the girl felt flustered from the sensation.Now was not the time for sill notions and she tried her best to focus on what he was saying. Life tried to tell her that killing monsters didn't make her one but she was not convinced. 

"I think it does. It makes me as bad as them because I could possibly stop them without killing them. No one needs to die here, especially not by me. I couldn't live with myself." She explained.

Mayuri's reply to his statement surprised him, though he knew it shouldn't have. She was lovely, of course she would hate herself for ending someone else's Life, monster or not. He guessed it did make sense to cling onto that... notion... that.. ideal... Wasn't that what he used to believe? Yes.. you said the same thing to her long ago. But things were a lot clearer to him now, he could see the world in front of him with open eyes. Nothing was as simple as black and white, and no one was inherently good or evil. In a world of life or death, the means did justify the ends and although he wished for an ideal world he knew that such a thing was foolish to try and achieve now. Im sorry, Mari... No... Not quite He felt completely disappointed in himself for not seeing it sooner. Though some things were inexcusable, there was a line to draw. Mari crossed it, but that was his fault wasn't it? He didn't know what to think anymore. If one thing was certain however, is that he would not jade this girl, he would protect her. 

Life lowered his head and smiled, then looked at her "I'll be your sword, so you wont have to stain yourself" though killing out of revenge did make you lower than the person who committed the atrocity in the first place, you were just as much of a monster. However, if you fight, and kill to protect. To protect the majority, to save many lives for the price of one, or to even stop that person from taking a single life before it happens.. then yes. Maybe then. Life was begging to slowly unravel things. Maybe one day he'll really make sense of the world. Though now it was clear about one thing, he had a stronger mindset than he used to. He felt much better, as though he had re-discovered his conviction.  

When Life told her that he would kill in her stead the girl grabbed his face in her hands near slapping his cheeks as she did. She held on to his handsome face and looked him in the eyes as she wanted to make sure he understood her very clearly. "You'll do no such thing. I won't have you doing these things especially not for me. Stay with me and protect me if you must, but please, Life... I don't want you to do anything that might harm you too." Mai felt overwhelmed by his words and by the look on his face as he said it, she knew he was serious. She leaned toward Life and planted her lips softly against his forehead before releasing him from her grip. Shay felt grateful to have met such a lovely person and have him as her own party mate.

"Thank you,"she told him.

Life closed his eyes and smiled as she comforted him and thanked him "No, thank you. For giving me a chance to redeem the person I was" For a long time Life was a broken sword, he had no use, but she gave him a reason. She was his reason to keep fighting, he wanted to be of use to her, he wanted to help her and protect her. He didn't want to seem to emotional however, and stood up from the bar stool "Would you like to get some fresh air?" He asked her with an extended hand, inviting her to join him outside. The 3rd floor was a terribly depressing place, he wished it wasn't so dreary, going out for fresh air was almost like walking in a grave yard. Though it had some of its merits, and when the sun set and rose, it created the one of the most beautiful landscapes he'd seen. 

Shay sighed in relief as Life understood her and thanked her for giving him a chance to redeem himself. She didn’t know what he meant by that, as she knew so little about him. But, now that they were party mates, she hoped that one day soon he would open up to her and tell her about himself. Mai would wait until he did. Life got up from his stool and offered his hand to her asking if she’d like to get some air and without question, she nodded yes. Placing her hand in his she rose off her stool and followed him into the early evening air.

The third floor was an unusual place, Delilah and the surrounding area was rather lively and pretty, but the further you went from town, the more dreary the floor was, save twice a day: sunrise and sunset. The rise and fall of every day in Aincrad would paint the drab grays of the trees and sky brilliant shades of violet, reds, oranges, and pinks. As they left the main square and began to walk out toward the dandelion fields, Mai realized she was still holding on to Life’s hand. She loosened her grip upon his hand and then changed her mind; she did not wish to let his hand go. Instead, the kimono clad girl clasped her hands around his tightly and held on to Life’s hand confidently. Her stomach flopped again, but she wasn’t sure if it was from holding Life’s hand or the fact that she’d had more than a few drinks. The girl hand only ever drunk alcohol once before at a cousins wedding, her parents had given her a small glass of wine. It made her feel fuzzy inside and made everything warm, and when all the adults were good and hammered, she’d helped herself to another much bigger glass. No one had been the wiser because Mai had always been such a ‘good’ girl. Mai didn’t like to call herself as such because goodness, like so many other qualities was entirely subjective. All that aside, she had that warm, fuzzy feeling again and she felt that warmth creep into her cheeks causing them to flush a bit. She only hoped that her companion would blame it on the alcohol.

The pair silently walked hand in hand along the path that led down through the field of dandelions. The sunset had painted the entire area a soft shade of pink which was rather lovely against the backdrop of the color fading sky. A breeze blew the seed fluff through the air causing it to dance upon the current it rode. Mai stopped to watch the seed pods flutter about through the air until the surrounding area was thick with them. She smiled and held her hand out as the fluff landed in her hand. Shay looked over at Life and giggled as the fluff clung to his dark hair. She reached her free hand up toward him and picked what she could out, however, more still fluttered around and stuck to him. She giggled and sighed as her efforts were fruitless in the matter. The dark hair girl stood there watching Life’s handsome face and smiled at him gently. She found she could be silent no longer, and she broke this with one simple question.

“My name’s Shay… what’s yours?”

Edited by Mayuri

Life watched Mayuri's motions, she was just absolutely lovely and he had no idea why, simply watching her made his heart ache. All he could do was simply smile as they walked. He felt her grip loosen from his hand and he looked down at her with the corner of his eye, uneasy about being distanced from her until she suddenly squeezed them tighter. He felt warm being here with her. The sunset panorama of the dandelion field was as he had remembered, but now held something more special with it in his memory. As she reached for his face his heart began to pound and his eyes watched her delicate digits pick the fluff out his hair that had found its home on top of his head after a long journey in the breeze. He couldn't help but grin and titter as she giggled. 

It wasn't long before Mai had introduced herself Shay.. That wasn't a name he had heard before, it was as unique as she was. She asked for his name and he felt a little off guard. He had never given anyone his real name in this game before, ever and he wasn't sure if he wanted to reveal it. He assured himself that she was someone who could be trusted, and additionally, it would be rude of him not to tell her. "Shay... that's pretty.. My name is Eric, I don't normally tell people though. You would be the first." He looked down for a moment and brushed the fluff out of his hair before looking back up at her again and smiled gently. Speaking to her, he could feel it. He could feel it from the pit of his stomach, she made him nervous, something no one else made him feel, but it was more than that. He wanted to kiss her, but it was to soon for that wasn't it? He wasn't sure what to think. 

Mai brushed her long dark hair back as she waited for him to tell her his name. He seems almost apprehensive about it and she wondered if real names were a taboo of sorts in games. They were after all, living in a fantasy world, and maybe whoever he was out there, was not the same person he was in here. It would only make sense if most felt fragmented from who they were. However he responded and told her that his name was Eric. She smiled widely and repeated his name, “Eric….”

She liked it every much.

With Life standing so close to her smiling as he was, it was enough to make the young girl’s heart flutter about in her chest like it was trying so desperately to escape from her and flee. She felt his gaze upon her and Mai turned away, feeling her cheeks flush. She put her hands over her cheeks trying to conceal the heat, but she was far too crimson in her round little face to hide it. Shay liked him. She had from the moment he’d come to her aid during her first quest, and only liked him more every time they met.

Life looked away from her as he brushed the fluff from his hair and then his rather striking eyes fell back upon her. With him so close, she could see that they weren’t solid green like she had thought. The centers were a lovely pale green but that faded out to a soft blue color around the edges. Mai felt herself staring into his eyes rather intently. She meant to look away, but found that she’d been taken in and she could not. Instead, Shay gave in to impulse and stepped in toward Eric without consideration for what she was doing. She stood upon her tip toes and leaned into him as placed her hand upon his chest for support. The girl moved even closer still and pressed her lips to his cheek. Her pink lips lingered against his skin and she drew back slowly. A soft smile was plastered across her little face. 

Edited by Mayuri

Life could see it in her to. She felt the same way he did, he knew it. She tried to hide her flustered expression but to no avail, he had already seen it.

It wasn't long before she found his eyes, seemingly lost in them. The whole situation made his heart pound strongly, and progressively stronger with each second. He stared back into hers as their gaze drew out, it must have been longer than 10 seconds as he was completely lost in her eyes. From the moment her met her, he knew there was something special about her, now it was clear. He had feelings for her, indescribable feelings. She leaned closer and his heart continued to pound harder with each passing second. She placed her hands on his chest and wondered if she could feel the beat of his heart. Before he knew it, she planted a soft kiss on his cheek. Life swallowed hard, unsatisfied. She smiled but he gently shook his head. He edged closer to her and placed his hands on her waist before leaning in slowly, kissing her beautifully delicate pink lips. The world around him melted away as the sunset panorama transformed into a pastel of colour. He drew the kiss on for as long as he could, taking in her every detail. Her texture, her smell, her taste, he let them linger. Perhaps they may be virtual, but what he felt was real. 

Bliss.

Edited by Life

Mai could feel Life’s heart violently thumping against his chest as wildly as her own. So he was as nervous as she. The thought was entirely pleasing to the young girl. As Shay had pulled back from him Life shook his head. She was about to ask him what was wrong, but before she could even get the words out the young man in front of her placed his arms around her waist and leaned down toward her and placed his lips against her own. Panic instantly set in; Shay had never been kissed before! Life held the petite Mai so very gently in his arms as his warm, soft lips lingered against hers. She closed her eyes and felt herself move closer to him and leaning into him for support. Her small hand reached up and connected with his handsome face and came to rest upon his cheek. She was held completely captivated by Life and allowed him to kiss her as long as he wanted. 

Edited by Mayuri

Mayuri didn't run, she didn't falter, or hesitate. He felt relieved, causing his heart to skip a beat as his lips continued to press against hers, kissing her over and over, slowly and passionately. He had never kissed a girl before, but this was probably the most wonderful thing he had ever experienced. His lips didn't want to leave hers for a second. He pulled her closer to him by her waist, completely taking her. He wasn't sure how long they had been kissing for, but it all felt like a single moment of bliss. He brought his hand up and gently ran along the side of her neck as he held her in the palm of hand, playing with her hair. He didn't want the moment to end, but before he knew it the sunset began to fade away and as their lips were gently drawn apart. He sighed softly against her lips as his eyes opened and met her pretty face. It had gotten dark fast, or maybe they had been kissing for a long time? He wasn't sure, when he kissed her it was as though time and space had stood still. He swallowed as he met her eye to eye, lips lingering near eachother. He knew it was dark, but he wanted more. "It's getting dark.." He said with a rasped voice, breathless from their moment. 

Mayuri felt herself give into his gentle embrace, scooping her up toward him the young woman instantly complied as stepped into him so that she was completely enveloped by the young man who kissed her so tenderly. His lips pressed to hers again and again parting and gently folding against her fleshy lobes. Shay found herself returning each affectionate kiss longing for him to continue and him complying with her wish. His breath brushed against her skin and his embrace kept her warm. Time easily slipped away from her as the light that gently warmed her closed eyelids soon faded and light got dimmer as time went on. Still she could not part herself from Eric and she stayed in his arms kissing him intently.

Slowly his lips withdrew from hers, she moved further into him but she could not catch him to prolong the grip he held upon her. Shay opened her eyes and looked up into his face; he was still so very close to hers. He spoke, “It’s getting dark…” his voice was hoarse. Shay just nodded as she gazed into his lovely visage.

“Where do you stay… when it’s late?” she asked him finally but did not wait for an answer. “Would you like to stay with me?” She couldn’t let him leave her now. Mayuri very much wanted to keep Life with her. 

Life was still foggy, drunk from her lips. When she asked him where he stayed he felt a little embarrassed. He wondered if it was bad that he had not bothered to do <<earning a living>> and getting his own place to stay rather than at an inn he never cared much before about it but now he felt self-conscious, at the mercy of her opinion. She continued, not waiting for him to reply and asked him if he wanted to stay with her. He cleared his throat so he could try and respond to her, completely caught off guard by her question. He calmed himself and smiled warmly "I would love to" Though he was still trapped inside this game, he was sure this was the best day of his life. He took her hand in his and kissed the back of it, rubbing his thumb gently over her small knuckles.