[PP:F2] Meeting with a Goddess (Persephone) COMPLETED

Mayuri sat in the tavern near her home in Urbus awaiting a goddess. She’d not met this Persephone before, but when she showed Life the message the woman sent, he told her that she ought to accept the woman’s request and meet her. They arranged a time and place, and Mai had arrived early, as she lived rather close. She stared out the window at those who passed by trying to guess which one was the woman she was to meet. All of those she thought might be her however, continued to walk past the shop and continued elsewhere, leaving Mai to wander when the woman would show herself. The barkeep came around and Mayuri ordered two waters, advising she was expecting another person and that they would perhaps order more upon arrival. The NPC nodded and set off to fetch Mai’s drink and the young woman went back to waiting for her companion.

Not too long after, a pretty woman with curly hair came bobbing down the path, and young Mai sat up straight as she walked past the window and looked at the sign over the door of the shop before entering. As she was the only one currently inhabiting the establishment, the pretty brunette walked over to the younger raven-haired girl. “You must be Persephone,” Mai said as she stood and offered the woman her hand. “Please… have a seat. I’ve ordered you some water, but the barkeep will be back in a moment and you can order more if you’d like… my treat.” Mayuri said politely before having a seat again. The younger woman sat there looking at the older woman inquisitively waiting for her to speak and explain what was going on here. Since they didn’t know each other it seemed strange that she’d want to meet. 

Edited by Mayuri

About a week had passed since the boss fight, and Lisa had finally come out from hiding. She had found out much about herself in the recent weeks and very quickly came to terms with some things that did not sit well with the young woman, namely that she wasn’t a gamer. The woman had only tried out SAO because she was curious to see the world. She did not actually intend on playing the game, and yet the day she sighed in to have a look around, her world had been forever changed by some prick who’d locked all the players into this world to live out nerd fantasies or die trying, and Lisa was just not having that! But she had gone, gained experience and knowledge and a rather cool item that could help others out. She’d been offered Col for it, but she didn’t need it, so she didn’t take it.  Lisa wanted something more for it and she had found her answer in a young girl named Mayuri.

Lisa had first learned about the girl from Life. She had met Life while trying to pursue Avalanche, and he was kind enough to help her. When she had mentioned her intentions, Life had mentioned a girl he knew having the very same aspirations. After the boss fight and receiving her item, she again remembered this detail and longed to meet the young woman. She had spoken to Life who then gave Lisa the girl’s name, and that was how their meeting came to be. The woman was en route to meet this young woman, have a chat with her, and if everything was on the up and up, she had a proposition for the girl, one that could prove useful to her.

The pretty brunette quickly moved down the rows of shops looking for the meeting placed. She passed a large building, guessing that it looked right for a pub, and stopped to look at the sign, discovering she was indeed at the right place. The pub was empty save one lone girl and Lisa figured that had to be her. She walked over to the dark haired girl who stood and introduced herself.

“You must be Persephone,”  she said as she extended a hand to Lisa.

“And you must be Mayuri…” The woman replied as she took the girl’s had and shook it.

She was offered a seat and a drink and the woman sat down and nodded as the girl kindly offered to pay for anything Lisa would like.

“ Water will do just fine.” She said with a smile.

The pair sat there awkwardly for a moment, and the teal-eyed girl wanted Lisa a bit too intently. “You must be wondering why I called you here…” she said finally. 

It seemed that the woman understood Mai’s stare and spoke. “Why yes… that was exactly what I was curious about. Ummm… I know we’ve never met before, so I’m very curious as to what it is you wish of me. I’m sorry if that sounds a bit rude, I’m just a bit baffled here… that’s all. Not that I mind meeting new people, because I don’t…  I love it, but you know. I’m rambling aren’t I?” The girl said and blushed. “I’m sorry… I’ll shut up now.”

She stared at the woman again and waited a few moments before speaking again.

“Oh… ummm… I’m done. Please go ahead.” She said longing for an explanation to their meeting. 

Lisa smiled and listed as the girl began to ramble. “You’re fine.” She told Mayuri with a smile. “There’s no reason to be nervous I promise. I wanted to talk to you because I’d heard about you from Life. He had told me that you were interested in becoming a battle medic. I myself am one.  Is this true?”

She paused and listened to the girl’s answer and nodded. “What made you decide to become one if you don’t mind my asking." The answer was of utmost importance to Lisa. Hopefully the young woman's response was one she could accept. It was imperative to Lisa that Mayuri had sound reasoning before she could make her offer.    

“A battle medic?” Mai said as she cocked her head to the side.

“Is that what it’s called?” she said smiling at the older woman.

“Yeah… I want to be a support. There are plenty of tanks here, but they’re not really anyone here to do the other types of supporting that’s necessary to have a fully functional team. I do want to primarily focus on healing. It’s why I became an alchemist. If my potions and crystals can be of service, then that’s what I’m going to do. I want to keep as many people alive as I can. I know I can’t save everyone, but I don’t want anyone to die on my watch. I’m not much of a fighter and I’m small, so I can’t protect anyone by my weapon, but I can help and heal and keep people safe my way.”

Mai blushed realizing how dumb she must sound, “I know it’s silly of me, but I want to try and do the things I say and be the kind of person my mom and dad want me to be. And they taught me to be of service to others, and I want to help.”

Shay looked up at the woman sitting across from her and looked her in the eyes. “Isn’t that why you chose to do this kind of thing… because you wanted to help? When Life told me about you, I was really curious to meet you too… you don’t often meet helpers, and I heard you were useful on the battlefront.” Mai added in the last bit quickly.

Lisa felt relief at the girl’s words. The knot that had been tied in her chest and stomach began to loosen as Mayuri spoke about her intentions as a support and a healer. The young woman was truly something else! Was she truly so altruistic? Looking into Mayuri’s soul as the girl made eye contact; it wasn’t hard to see that she did indeed meant every word of what she said. The young girl even claimed to know that she sounded ridiculous, but Lisa only shook her head in disagreement.

“No… I think it’s a fantastic aspiration. And yes… it’s why I wanted become a medic. Only… I don’t anymore. That’s where you come in Mayuri. I would like to make you an offer, would you be interested in hearing it?”

“I knew it!” Mai replied and bounced in her seat happily.

Finally she’d met someone with similar goals. It made Mai terribly thrilled, until the woman continued.

“You don’t want to help anymore? But how can that be? I mean you’re like me right?” She asked looking at the woman rather puzzled, “You’re like the first person I have met that actually took on first aid and used it in a boss fight. I’d love it if we could go support the other players together. If there are more of us, then we could keep the others safe. We could be a team out there.” She offered. Mai didn’t like the sound of the woman not wanting to help anymore. There had to be a reason for it.

Mayuri settled down as the woman said she had an offer for Mai. “Yes… I would very much like to hear your offer.” She said still rather hoping the woman would explain. 

Lisa laughed as the girl began to bounce. She was a rather adorable albeit naïve creature, and Lisa began to wonder if such a person belonged on the battlefield. The woman felt that the girl’s optimism could save her from darker things, things Lisa was dealing with at the very moment.

The woman frowned as she saw the disappointment in the girl’s face when she explained she no longer wanted to be a medic and demanded an explanation. Being that she was the only one of her kind of the field, she figured it was probably best to explain herself fully to the young woman who would be putting herself in great peril.

“Well… the truth is I really wasn’t all that big of a help. I healed Tristan, but I wasn’t useful in any other way. And the plain fact of the matter is… I’m afraid. I’m not a gamer. I came here knowing nothing about games, or being a medic, or anything of this. I chose medic, because I want to help, but I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die here Mayuri.  Aren’t you afraid you might die trying to save others? I just want to go back to the starting city. I’ll help the others who can’t even step outside the gates to be safe. I can’t go beyond these basic floors. Even though the players were terribly strong, at some point I don’t know that they will be and a lot of lives are going to be lost. I don’t want to be one of those who fall.”

Lisa put her head in her hands and sighed heavily. “I’m sorry… you must be terribly disappointed in me.”

She began to breathe slowly trying to catch her breath so she could carry on with what she set out to do here.

Edited by Persephone

Mayuri instantly horrible about pushing the woman, and near wanted to cry as Persephone put her head in her hands admitting her fears and her wish not to die. “It’s okay!” Mai said as she grabbed for one other woman’s hands and held it between hers. “I get it. Games are not my thing either. I’m sorry the boss fight was more than you felt you could take on. You were very brave to go, and no one could ask anymore of you. I’m afraid too, but Life promised he would help me through this game so I can get out, and I believe him. He’s a good friend.” Mai felt her cheeks flush at those words, but she pushed thoughts of the boy out of her head and focused on the lady in front of her.

Persephone began to calm down and Mayuri smiled at the woman sweetly trying not to upset her anymore than she was. “I’ll listen to your offer,” she told the woman. 

Lisa looked up and over at the kind girl who held her hand and reassured her that she would be okay. “You’re a very sweet girl Mayuri, hold on to that.” Lisa said and smiled weakly.  Once more the girl repeated that she would hear Lisa offer, and Lisa felt now was the time to explain what was going on.

“In the boss fight, I was given a drop. It’s an item called Blood of the Champions. Once per battle, I can use a special crystal on anyone, and this crystal increases as players damage up two points and it gives them forty additional health points over their normal maximum. This crystal isn’t like other consumables. It won’t go away after just one use. You can use it, and it’ll never be used up. I want you to have it. I want you to have several things actually, things that will help you to get to the front and protect everyone like you want to. I wish I could go with you, but I just can’t Mayuri. I know it is a lot to ask of you considering I can’t do it myself, but I want to help you save everyone like you want. Will you let me do that?”

Mayuri sat there with a soft smile glazed upon her sweet face as Persephone talked to her in a soothing manner. However, as she explained the situation to Mai, the smile began to fall from her face until she looked at the woman with great concern. “What? No!” She said adamantly. “What do you mean? What will you do? I don’t like the sound of this at all. You hold on to it, you earned it. I can’t… I just can’t” Mai looked into Persephone’s eyes desperately trying to figure out what was going on.

“Please Persephone. What are you going to do if you’re not going to the front? Please… I have to know,” Mai clung to the woman’s hand holding it for dear life. If she was thinking of taking the same way out her cousin had, Shay would never forgive herself for letting the woman go.

Lisa patted Mayuri’s hands trying to reassure her things were alright. “It’s okay Mayuri,” the woman began. “I can’t go to the front anymore, but I’ll help in the Town of Beginnings. I’ll heal the low levels that come to me for help. I’ll craft. I’ll farm. I’ll be useful how I can… just far from the front. Don’t worry. I think I know what you’re thinking, but that won’t happen. I won’t leave this place until the game ends. I want to go home. I’m not ready to die. I’m just not cut out for this. But I think you are. You seem like a kind girl, and you have a good head on your shoulders, and you’re not alone. So please… let me help you, help them.” She held the girl’s hands trying to make her feel better about what was going on.

So she wasn’t going to hurt herself. This put Shay’s mind at ease. It seemed that Persephone had a plan. She wasn’t going to give up, but she wasn’t going to leave a comfort zone either. Mai could respect that. Not everyone was so willing to risk themselves let alone for the sake of others. But Mai couldn’t stand idly by. She would fill the role that was needed. She’d step in and be the type of support that the front line needed her to be.

“Okay… I accept your help,” Mai said finally and nodded. “I’ll let you help me to protect the front.”

“Thank you,” Lisa said and smiled as she freed her hands from Mayuri’s. Opening up her HUD, Persephone began to click on the various items from her inventory. Anything and everything that might help the girl protect the others and do what she could not. As she worked, the woman smiled and then threw in a few more things until she was sure that she had everything the girl might need. Lisa then sent Mayuri a friend and trade request.

“That should be everything…”  She paused.

“Oh no… maybe one more thing… what kind of weapon do you use?” She asked the girl curiously.

Mayuri sat there and watched as the woman began to add items to a trade request. They sat there several minutes while Persephone poured through her list and clicked on many things. As time grew longer she wondered what exactly it was the woman was sending her. It seemed like a rather long list given that she took quite awhile to click on everything. “Are you sure you want to give me so much… won’t you need things for yourself and your lower levels?”

She waited as Persephone finished up and asked her an odd question. “I use a curved blade… mine’s a Hwando … how come?” She asked the woman.

Edited by Mayuri

“I’m also a curved blade user… okay… then one more thing.” The woman opened up the trade once more and added in one more item and then hit “send”.

“This is everything you’ll need. The crystals aren’t actually mine. Zelruis gave them to me to use on the front. I don’t want to tell him I can’t fight anymore, so I’ll need you to let him know. I don’t like disappointing people. So there are health crystals, an antidote crystal, and mass healing crystals… then there’s the Blood of the Champions... there’s materials and Col to help you build up your shop stock so you can level and start making potions and crystals of your own for the front. There are energy recovery items… and I’m giving you my weapon, Light Reaver. It’s a falchion but the combination is perfect for someone like us. It’s got plus two paralyze and a little damage on it so you can stun the enemies while your damage wielders can smash the crap out of the mobs. It’s a pretty effective method. ” The woman leaned back in her seat. She knew this wasn’t an original idea, she’d heard of other players utilizing it, but never a support.

PERSEPHONE HAS GIVEN MAYURI THE FOLLONGING ITEMS:

• 5- Green Tea
  • 4 - +15 health crystal
  • 4 - +20 healing crystals
  • 3 - mass healing +15 crystals
  • 1-  antidote crystal
  • 2,625 Col
  • 5- Materials
  • Light Reaver (+2 Para/+1 DMG) - OHCS: Falchion
  • «Blood of the Champions»: A small, red crystal in the shape of a needle that oozes with untold power. It seems incapable of ceasing to exist. +2 Damage and +40 Overhealth, doesn’t get consumed but can only be used once per thread.`

Mayuri opened the trade request and was stunned by all that she found. “This is really too much. Are you sure you don’t want to at least keep your energy items, col, materials, and your weapon? I mean it’s brilliant, but wouldn’t you need that to protect the others you want to protect? Really, you should hold on to these things. I mean you could use this yourself to keep your people safe.” The young woman stared at the open transaction, then back at the woman standing across from her in complete shock that she was just going to give all her things to Mai.

“I’m sure. I want you to just go ahead and click accepts.” The woman said slightly irked at the young dark haired girl. Mayuri couldn’t really be this good; she was resisting Lisa’s assistance a little too vehemently. “Really… just take your cute little fingers and push the accept button. It’s getting to be later in the day and I wanted to get back to my place before sundown.” Persephone said rather brashly. She didn’t mean to be mean, but the cute girl was just being too darn nice.

Mayuri blushed and nodded as she was being scolded and quickly pushed the “accept” button like she was told. It wasn’t that she was trying to make the woman mad, she just wanted to be sure that Persephone wouldn’t regret the transaction later. She would of course give the items back if asked, but she didn’t want the lady to make and decisions that might later affect her negatively. Maiyuri looked back at the woman once she was done and offered her a friendly smile.

“Thank you Persephone.”

MAYURI ACCEPTS THE FOLLOWING:

• 5- Green Tea
  • 4 - +15 health crystal
  • 4 - +20 healing crystals
  • 3 - mass healing +15 crystals
  • 1-  antidote crystal
  • 2,625 Col
  • 5- Materials
  • Light Reaver (+2 Para/+1 DMG) - OHCS: Falchion
  • «Blood of the Champions»: A small, red crystal in the shape of a needle that oozes with untold power. It seems incapable of ceasing to exist. +2 Damage and +40 Overhealth, doesn’t get consumed but can only be used once per thread.
Edited by Mayuri

“No thank you,” Lisa said and sighed believed that it was now all over. She would go back to the Town of beginnings and lay low and not have to worry about the front of death. The young woman brushed her long curls out of her face and began to breathe easier now that the responsibilities of taking care of others was gone. She didn’t feel guilty yet, but she knew if she eventually did, she’d remind herself she was still alive and she would have to be happy with that.

Feeling free, the brunette stood and looked at the smaller woman. “I must take my leave. It has been a pleasure meeting you Mayuri. Take care of yourself and your travel companion.” It was all she said before turning about and heading back out into the street.

PERSEPHONE EXITS STAGE LEFT.