[PP-F5] 'Going to the Bakery' - Butcher of the Sands'

Lowenthal used the teleportation gates to get the floor 5. A very different feeling, as he was used to walking from floor to floor. Now on the hottest floor in Aincrad, so far, Lowenthal waited. He was expecting Calrex, another warrior of Aincrad. Together, they were to go into the desert and find something called 'The Butcher of the Sands'. Calrex had said something about, doing it before. But it was completely new to Lowenthal. Some female, calling herself the information broker gave him the quest hint, and told him that he should prepare for what's about to come. Lowenthal rubbed the back of his head, now wondering where Calrex was at. Perhaps times were different per floor, which would explain why everyone was late half the time. 

Immediately as he arrived on the fifth floor Calrex made his way towards where his teammate, Lowenthal, was waiting. Today was the day they had decided to take on the second field boss of the fifth floor, known as the "Butcher of the Sands."

"Somehow I feel like I'd be powerful enough to take this thing down on my own, but the broker I got the information from recommended that I bring another person along with me anyways. I'd want to avoid putting others at risk, but they said the area won't even open unless two people both approach the area."

GIving a small sigh he made sure all of his gear was at the ready. For his armor he had chosen he current go-to piece of armor, the Grand Dragoon. Since this boss supposedly had the ability to bypass all forms of mitigation and evasion, it seemed like it was going to be a battle of endurance. Luckily enough his health was more than substantial enough that he could outlast the creature. However, the main focus would then be dealing as much damage to the creature in the shortest amount of time. All of the rest of his equipment remained the same.

The one thing that had him worried was the fact that rumors stated the field boss was invulnerable to aggro-drawing skills such as <<Howl>> and <<Fighting Spirit>>, meaning that it would attack for the most part at random.

Seeing the self-proclaimed Master of Shadows he gave a wave, recognizing the now-turned green crystal above his head. He had gotten stronger from back then, unlocking the combined Martial Arts and sword ability which surpassed even his strongest grandmaster rank techniques. Completing his trek over he gave a nod, "Sorry for the wait. Shall we get moving?"

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal waved to Calrex as he appeared. "Yeah. Let's get this show started. Just a few more levels, and I'll be able to max out my dagger skill." Lowenthal said, explaining his intentions for this adventure. He had plenty of potions, and a teleportation crystal in case things went sideways. "So, how's the almost wife?" Lowenthal asked Calrex, trying to stir up conversation as the two walked to their destination. "And hey, if you happen to find any single women looking for a handsome rouge like me, send them my way? Heh." Lowenthal said, as a small joke. As the two reached the area, a quest box appeared, only stating 'Butcher of the Sands' "Well, that's not cryptic in the least." Lowenthal said, pressing the button to accept the quest. As he did, a burst of sand erupted from behind him. Before Lowenthal even had time to react, a giant alligator creature had appeared. The creature used it's element of surprise and had landed a direct hit on Calrex. Lowenthal turned, now ready for combat. "Damn! You alright!" Lowenthal called out, wanting to know if there was any status effects that he needed to look out for.

ID: 35107
LD: 18 (Calrex 11-20)
MD: 7 (Hit)
BD: 2 (Miss) (Light Momentum active)

---
Sando Satsu: 350/350 HP | 20 MIT | 40 DMG (Ignores Evasion, Block, and Mitigation)

---

Lowenthal: 97/97 HP | 28 MIT | 8 DMG

Calrex: 137/177 HP | 25 MIT | 10 DMG -40HP

Edited by Lowenthal

"Heh, well she's doing perfectly fine! Keeping herself busy with getting stronger, just like we are, heh. Sure, I'll be sure to...wait what happened to you and Clarence?"

Calrex tried to inquire what happened between the pairing, but before he could answer suddenly the field boss emerged from the sands, successfully managing to land a blow on him. To his surprise the creature was skilled enough that not only did it manage to beat his evasive maneuvers, it also bypassed the mitigation granted by the Grand Dragoon, "Tch, so that info was accurate..."

Looking at his health Calrex saw that the beast had managed to know a good chunk off of his health as he shook his head, quickly drawing the Grand Blade. He heard Lowenthal check on his status, to which he gave a nod, "Yeah, I'm alright. Stay focused, let's try and bring this thing down as fast as possible. I'm not sure if either of us can stand that many blows from it."

ID: 35108
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11
Sword Art <<Nova Ascension>> Activated (12 Energy Used / 31 Remaining)

"If it hits that hard it'd be in our best interest to keep it from attacking."

Flicking his sword into a hammer grip he activated his Sword Art <<Nova Ascension>>. Flying forward he began to unleash a flurry of slashes. Drawing from his past techniques it seemed like six of the strikes were a combined attack of his old techniques: The Swallow Return and Plum Blossom Flourish. Finishing the attack he did a quick turn to build momentum before slamming his hilt into the boss' face.

Leaping back Calrex saw that the Stunned condition was successfully inflicted on the lizard man as he gave a nod to Lowenthal, "Alright go for it!"

HP List
Lowenthal: 97/97
   Energy: 21/23
Calrex: 137/177
   Energy: 31/43

Enemies:
Sando Satsu: 280/350 (10 DMG * 9 Art - 20 MIT = 70 DMG / Stunned Until Next Turn)

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal already had his kunai at the ready as Calrex called for him to attack. "Already on it!" Wasting nearly no time, Lowenthal dashed forward to attack the giant lizard. Lowenthal reversed his grip, and brought his kunai down and across the stunned creature. As his first strike finished, he returned his grip back to normal and brought his kunai back up, for a second slice. "Bullseye!" Lowenthal cheered as his sword art finished, Lowenthal took a few steps back. "Phew, that move takes a bit out of ya." Lowenthal said, noting that his energy bar dropped by about a third. Lowenthal hadn't used a sword art of that caliber before, and he was glad to see that his damage was actually enough this time. The monster glared at Calrex, apparently upset that he had stunned the beast. "Hey, watch out. He's not stunned anymore." Lowenthal said, readying himself again.

ID: 35110
LD: - (Monster Stunned)
MD: - (Monster Stunned)
BD: 10 [+2 Dmg]

---
Sando Satsu: 220/350 HP | 20 MIT | 40 DMG (Ignores Evasion, Block, and Mitigation) -60HP [80dmg - 20mit] [(8+2)8=80]

---

Lowenthal: 97/97 HP | 28 MIT | 8 DMG | 15/23 Energy (Cross Edge - 8)

Calrex: 137/177 HP | 25 MIT | 10 DMG | 31/43 Energy

Edited by Lowenthal

ID: 35112
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Riposte Failed)
<<Parry>> Activated, Half Damage Until Next Turn ( 2 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 30 Remaining)

Calrex gave a nod acknowledging Lowenthal's warning as he rushed forward. He had aimed to activate his <<Meteor Break>> Sword Art, but as he prepared it suddenly the boss let out a roar that broke his train of focus. Knowing his attack wouldn't connect he leapt back, immediately triggering his <<Parry>> skill.

His forearms lit up with a faint light blue glow, signaling the skill's activation as he gave a nod to his teammate, "Go ahead and keep wailing on it. Let's see if it keeps its attention on me."

"I'll be able to at least deflect most of its attack should it target me. Hopefully it does, because that means it won't focus on Lowenthal. Of the two of us, I've got the most health, so I can withstand more hits."

HP List
   Energy: 30/43

Enemies:
Sando Satsu: 220/350

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal dashed forward, reversing the grip on his kunai again. He did the same move as before, trying to pump out as much damage as possible before the monster could retaliate against him. Since Calrex was keeping it busy, Lowenthal kept attacking. First by bring his kunai down across it's back again, then again by slashing across it. His slices almost landed in the same spot as they did a few seconds ago. "Bullseye!" Lowenthal said, taking another step back, to avoid any kind of attack that the monster could throw out. The monster only attacked Calrex, but this time Calrex was prepared and easily maneuvered around the attack. Lowenthal noticed that Calrex's HP bar took a small dip, but not as large as last time. "Nice moves." Lowenthal said, giving Calrex a quick thumbs up.

ID: 35113
LD: 16 (Calrex 11-20)
MD: 7 HIT
BD: 9 [+1 Dmg]

---
[Immune to stun: 2 turns] Sando Satsu: 168/350 HP | 20 MIT | 40 DMG (Ignores Evasion, Block, and Mitigation) -52HP [72dmg - 20mit] [(8+1)8=72]

---

Lowenthal: 97/97 HP | 28 MIT | 8 DMG | 8/23 Energy (Cross Edge - 8)(Nat Regen + 1)

Calrex: 117/177 HP | 25 MIT | 10 DMG | 30/43 Energy -20HP (40/2 Parry)

Edited by Lowenthal

ID: 35114
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (+2 Damage)
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 20 Remaining)

"Heh, just wait. I've still got more tricks up my sleeve."

Calrex gave a smirk as he nodded towards Lowenthal before facing the creature. Flicking the Grand Blade he went into his stance for <<Meteor Break>>, his sword lighting up with a sparkling golden glow before he rushed forward, letting the assisted system take over. Flying forward his opening attack for the art was a elbow strike, slamming into the boss' snout. Immediately following it came a barrage of tackles and fierce slashes, ripping glowing cut after glowing cut on the creature before he finished with a leaping vertical slash before the Ultramarine Knight leapt back.

"Alright, let's see if we can finish this thing off. Go for it!"

HP List
   Energy: 20/43

Enemies:
Sando Satsu: 56/350 (10+2 DMG * 11 Art - 20 DMG = 112 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal watched as Calrex did a considerable amount of damage to the so called 'butcher of the sands'. But just as Calrex finished his attack, the beast attacked with a greater ferocity than before. Before Lowenthal, the monster grew twice in size, easily dwarfing the pair in size now. "Wh-whoa,it's huge!" Lowenthal called out, as the beast grew. Lowenthal , grabbing a health crystal from his inventory and going over to Calrex. Lowenthal pressed the potion onto Calrex, and watched his HP raise. It wasn't as much as the field boss dealt out, but it was better than nothing. "Alright, let's get him. But let's try to not die in the process huh?" Lowenthal said, readying himself.

ID: 35116
LD: 11 (Calrex 11-20)
MD: 3 Miss
BD: 1 (Crit Fail)

---
[Immune to stun: 1 turns] Sando Satsu: 56/350 HP | 30 MIT | 50 DMG (Ignores Evasion, Block, and Mitigation)

---

Lowenthal: 97/97 HP | 28 MIT | 8 DMG | 9/23 Energy (Nat Regen + 1)

Calrex: 152/177 HP | 25 MIT | 10 DMG | 30/43 Energy

Edited by Lowenthal

ID: 35164
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Riposte Failed)
<<Parry>> Activated, Half Damage Until Next Turn ( 2 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 19 Remaining)

Calrex was preparing to rush in once again, but as he did the field boss had grown in size, causing him to hesitate once again as he gave a small sigh under his breath. Leaping back he focused as the <<Parry>> skill took effect again, his forearms lighting up with the faint blue glow.

Feeling Lowenthal's crystal take effect he gave a nod, "Thanks for that. I think if this thing targets me again I should be just fine. Let's get this gecko finished off."

Looking back over at the creature he gave a small smirk as he decided to smart talk it a bit, "All it's done is made itself a bigger target."

HP List
Calrex: 152/177
   Energy: 20/43

Enemies:
Sando Satsu: 56/350

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal nodded, not sure if even his strongest attack would be enough to finish the field boss. "Alright, I'm going t try to flank it again. You just hang in there." Lowenthal said, as he quickly moved to the back end of the beast again. "Alright, you scaly bastard. Come on then!" Lowenthal called out as he attacked the beast. His kunai doing it's work as he did the same sword art before. Cross Edge, a heavy hitting set of slashes in the form of a cross. As his attack was finished however, it seemed the boss didn't appreciate it. "Oh dear." Lowenthal said, as he managed to get out of the way of the bosses weapon. "Missed me!" Lowenthal taunted, as he danced around the now slow and cumbersome creature. Lowenthal took a step back, his energy bar near zero. 

ID: 35228
LD: 6 (Lowenthal 1-10)
MD: 4 Miss
BD: 8 (HIT)

---
Sando Satsu: 22/350 HP | 30 MIT | 50 DMG (Ignores Evasion, Block, and Mitigation) -34HP [64-30]

---

Lowenthal: 97/97 HP | 28 MIT | 8 DMG | 2/23 Energy (Nat Regen + 1)(Cross Edge - 8)

Calrex: 152/177 HP | 25 MIT | 10 DMG | 30/43 Energy

Edited by Lowenthal

ID: 35229
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (+1 DMG)
Loot Dice: 11 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 14 (Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Deadly Sins>> Activated (7 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 15 Remaining)

"Nice work. I've got this!"

Immediately following up after Lowenthal's strike Calrex rushed forward, his sword alight with a light purple glow as he activated <<Deadly Sins>>. Letting the assisted system take over he flew forward as he pierced <<Sando Satsu>> seven times, each stab joining with the others to form the Big Dipper constellation on the creature's chest. Landing on the ground in front of the creature Calrex saw the boss' health drop to past zero as he turned around, sheathing the Grand Blade as he walked away, the creature dissipating into crystals as he gave a nod to Lowenthal, "Nice work, looks like we're done with that thing. Heh."

Putting his hands into his jacket pockets he gave a sigh of relief, "Alright, what next?"

Loot List:
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 1750 col (Mob Health 350 * 5 col = 1750 col)

HP List
Lowenthal
: 97/97
   Energy: 15/23
   Energy: 15/43

Enemies:
Sando Satsu: -25/350 (11 DMG * 7 Art - 30 MIT = 47)

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal sheathed his kunai, as the final blow was landed against the Butcher of the Sands. "Heh, Flawless Victory." Lowenthal said, giving Calrex a thumbs up. "Well, for me at least." He finished, laughing. Lowenthal rubbed the back of his head. "I dunno. Anything you wanna do? Cause, killing that Sando Satsu was all that was needed for the quest." Lowenthal said, as a window appeared for him. "Oh neat, prize time." Lowenthal said, as he selected his prize. "Sweet, got lucky. 'Kunai of the Sands', sounds cool." Lowenthal said, equipping the new dagger. "You get anything cool?" Lowenthal asked, his blue clad friend. 

(Two Turns Until Full Energy Recovery, 1 Energy Recovered / 6 HP Recovered)

"Heh, nah nothing out of the ordinary. Just some col and a material. We'll split the money once this is over, but it seems you got a pretty good drop out of the quest."

Swiping on his menu Calrex dismissed the loot window that had appeared as he gave a nod, "Well, I guess since there's some time to kill we can go grab a drink on this floor or something. We haven't really had a chance to chat and catch up ever since the frontlines became active again. Heck, the last time I saw you since your birthday party was the floor boss meeting Oikawa hosted."

Giving a friendly smile he nodded in the direction of Armadillo as he began to start making his way back, "So how have things been on your end? Velvet Room keeping you busy?"

HP List
Calrex: 143/177
   Energy: 16/43

Edited by Calrex

Lowenthal chuckled, and rubbed the back of his head. "I wish Velvet Room was keeping me more busy. But the lack of new members, and failed campaigns have been." Lowenthal searched for a word. "Tiresome." He said, finally thinking of one. "I mean, I want Velvet Room to succeed and be out there, but we can't compare the guilds like Azure, and Crimson Blades keep scooping up all the new people adventuring it seems. Perhaps it's because we're not as 'militaristic' as everyone else, and laid back." Lowenthal said, thinking. "Hell, we're a guild that takes pride in who you are. I'm actually surprised that people are leaning back to the whole military aspect of things, rather than being themselves." Lowenthal did a slight stretch, before placing his hands behind his head. "And after my birthday Clarence decided to leave for about a month, without telling me at all. So, at Zelrius party I broke up with him. And during his hiatus, I earned that player killer mark, and failed to make headway with guild relations to Crimson Blades. And, ugh." Lowenthal sighed. "Everything is just so tiresome.I mean, if I had the Col, I'd buy a nice place and retire from adventuring in all. Kinda wish I could." Lowenthal said, finally done talking.

"Yeah, sometimes I wish I could do that too, but I kind of feel compelled to continue participating, because even though we've got a decent number of people on the frontlines, it doesn't feel like enough."

Calrex gave a nod of understanding to Lowenthal's situation and plight, putting his hands into his jacket pockets, "You probably aren't aware of this guild, since you got started adventuring after their disbandment, but there was a guild that had a similar stance to your. It was called Square One, and the guildmaster was actually Azide. Back in those days they were comparable to the Azure Brigade. In fact Oikawa was a high-ranking member before leaving the guild. But..."

He gave a small sigh as he followed with his statement, "...it does feel like people don't really want to think about being their own leader. They almost want to be herd like sheep, as the saying goes."

Deciding to respond to the more personal state of the boy's affairs he gave a nod, "I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with you and Clarence. I believe something similar happened between Ssendom and Meokka. But I guess at the least we've taken care of one of those two things."

Giving a small smile he gave a nod, "Just know if anything I've still got your back. But there was one thing I was curious about, although it's up to you if you feel comfortable with sharing it. But...how exactly did you become an orange player. Of course, not the obvious, but what transpired that produced that result?"

Lowenthal stopped walking as Calrex asked about how Lowenthal became an orange player in the first place. "I guess, I should tell somebody." Lowenthal said, running his hand through his hair.  "Well, I was on the first floor just walking around the outskirts trying to find more info about this 'ninja guy' Opal had told me about. Then it started to rain." Lowenthal said, remembering the day. "Then, near a river. There was a player threatening another with his sword. I of course jumped in, and since he hadn't actually attacked her yet, I ended up getting the orange mark. After killing him, of course." Lowenthal shrugged. "That's life, I guess. You try to do something good, and then you're stuck with the repercussions of it. Like, every good deed is punished by two bad ones." Lowenthal stated. He helped save someone, and he was branded a murderer. He made a guild for players to discover themselves, he is denied members.

"Hm..I see. Well I don't know if it helps at all, but I'm glad to hear that you did it to protect someone, and not out of spite or something. I've met and spoken with a lot of players, and at times it seems like because we're in this game, many think lighter of things like killing other people. Sometimes I wonder if they actually think they're in a death game, or if they're just some players in some random MMO."

Giving a small sigh Calrex gave a nod as he gave a smirk, "It can seem at times like no matter what good we do, something bad or tragic happens that undoes all of that hard work. All I can say is...know that some good does come from those good deeds. That player you saved is still alive...well, hopefully. As for your guild, it may seem rough at first, but you've given a place for players to belong and call home, even if they don't openly express it. I sometimes wonder if any of the times I've helped starting players out or gathering materials has made a difference. But I keep doing it, because whatever good I do might help someone person I'm not aware of."

Putting a hand behind his head he tilted his head to the side apologetically, "Sorry if I ran my mouth a bit there. I'm guessing some of that probably is just my opinion, heh."

Lowenthal chuckled. "Well, you did help me. And look at me now. Closing on the heels of the higher leveled players, and participating in floor boss fights. WHo know I had such potential?" Lowenthal said, grinning. And it was true. Not that long ago Lowenthal had started his adventuring into the world of SAO. He had never imagined that he'd go to a floor boss fight, or have his own guild. Or friends he'd be happy to call family. "Hey, thanks for fishing me out of that fountain by the way." Lowenthal said, remembering the day they first met.

"Hey, see what I mean?"

Calrex couldn't help but give a smirk as Lowenthal referenced himself as one of the people he had helped, "You've definitely come a long way from back then. Heck I don't think even I leveled up that fast. Course now with all of the hard work we've been putting in, something has definitely come out of it. We're finally making headway upwards out of this castle after being stuck on the first ten floors for who knows how long."

Hearing the orange-haired player comment on the first time they met he gave a laugh, remembering the memory of back when they first met. Back then he was a member of Ariel's now disbanded guild Absolute Pin, and was still making his way up in level to participate in the front lines. Course with they time they've been there it was becoming an ever distant memory, of a somewhat easier and simpler time in SAO.

"Heh, hey just be glad it's impossible to get sick in this game. That'd be the worst."